Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Booking Clerk (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 25, 2017
It is hard to maneuver around different environments, but to my knowledge and experienced with working for the Department of Corrections at approximately 9 years, I am honored to work with such a lovable, caring, and culturally associated environment.
Pros
Employees can deal with a lot of pressure with a positive approach at all times
Cons
We have to deal with multitude of atitudes and behavior thrown to us most of the time.
It's a good place to work at and to move up in rank.
Correctional Officer Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Century, FLMarch 23, 2017
You have to have a strong mind and will power to work in the Department . It can take a toll on your life, if you do not know how to balance the both .
Pros
Being able to work with others, and becoming a family unit.
Cons
Just need a raise. We have not had one in over 10 years.
Enjoyed the job a lot.
DOC Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COMarch 22, 2017
Loved my job but not all the people I worked with. They were unconcerned about the welfare of the inmates.
I enjoyed working with the inmates and seeing their progress. I took pride in their successes and in being able to recognize where their weaknesses were. I made a concerted effort to work with each one's learning style.
Pros
Felt satisfied working with offenders and different learning styles
Cons
Some people I worked with
has a lot of growth neededf
State of Colorado (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 17, 2017
To much work for short staff. To many safety concerns. Employer did not show the appreciation to its staff. Not enough continued standard across the board. Seems like a buddy system agency
Positive work invirinment
Dietary Worker, Janitor, & Wheel Chair Escort (Former Employee) –  Marienville, PAMarch 17, 2017
This particular employer provides employment opportunities for inmates within their facility.Overall, being employed within this facility allows inmates the privilege and opportunity to develop training and experience in various job opportunities.
Pros
The ability to advance
Cons
low compensation
Busy
Captains and Lieutenants Secretary (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PAMarch 12, 2017
Everyday is busy. All ways work to do. The moral is low because it is a prison but if you stick to the job it makes the day go by faster. I learned many transferrable skills with the DOC. If you are willing to learn they are willing to train you.
Pros
good benfits and retirement
Cons
pay
Fast-paced and challenging.
Psychology Associate I (Former Employee) –  Dillwyn, VAMarch 11, 2017
A typical day at work was fast-paced with very little down-time. I learned a great deal about the type of clinician I am and strive to be. I also learned an exponential amount about leadership and management styles having the opportunity to be one for a brief amount of time. Workplace culture was a paramilitary-type hierarchy as the Department of Corrections can be viewed as a paramilitary organization. The most difficult aspect about the job was on occasion feeling inadequate or like I had not been effective in my work. The most enjoyable part of my work was knowing when I had been effective, such as seeing improvement in clients' behavior and/or mood.
Pros
State benefits, steady pay, feeling like I had accomplished something
Cons
Safety concerns
Secretary
Clerk Typist Sr (Former Employee) –  Parchman, MSMarch 10, 2017
I organizes and oversees maintenance of filling system. Process mail daily and type letters to clients. composes correspondence at supervisor request, type monthly reports, Type travel, maintain supplies and order supplies, operate fax machine
Pros
health insurance, paid vacation
Cons
short breaks
Great co-workers
Corrections Shift Sgt (Former Employee) –  Stae if VirginaMarch 4, 2017
My typical day consisted in the supervision of correctional staff; I was able to learn great management skills that assisted in the safe and secure running of the correctional facility. The management team was very supportive as well as challenging me to improve my supervisor skills. The hardest part of my job was working in a maximum security prison. My most enjoyable part of my job was going home every day.
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
chellenging inmates
Hostile Environment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, INMarch 2, 2017
It was not for me. The experience was eye opening but I could not see a career with the Department of Correction. There was a lot of contradiction.
Provides direct supervision of Property Manager (fixed assets), Business Office Clerical Support Staff and acting supervisor of Inmate Banki
Administrative Services Officer II (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZFebruary 28, 2017
Exciting job with many challenges and obstacles but great culture and professional people to work with. One of the best places I have ever had the opportunity to work for.
Productive and Fun
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  KingstonFebruary 27, 2017
High and advanced work place,supports and respects the person who put their life to serve and up hold the Laws of the country,Also a company with leaders who leads and respects who follow their leads.
no ping pong
COI Officer (Current Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 25, 2017
C. Administrative Segregation Committee: Chaired by the
functional unit manager with a caseworker and COIII or above as
members. The caseworker will act as chairperson in the unit
manager's absence. Another staff member may sit as a member
in place of the caseworker. At least 3 members shall be
present to hold a hearing.
It was Benficial
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Glendale, WIFebruary 24, 2017
Internship for school. Worked with probation and parole agents. There is a lot of different aspects that go into this job. Involves Law Enforcement, Social Work and people skills.
terrible
Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Beacon, NYFebruary 24, 2017
It was a bad time in my life but I learned alot of skills and grew up alot over the amount of time that i was there i do appreciate what i learned there and i am going to utilize what i learned for the better to produce a better me
Pros
no pros
Cons
modern day slavery
very productive
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  jamaica w.iFebruary 22, 2017
i learn alot from this place and in 6 months and i was able to catch on to things by the persons that trains me, i was well trained and have a great team.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no health care
a somewhat controlled enviorment
Correction Officer, Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 20, 2017
a typical day at work is attending line-up after you've received your post. take over your post. conduct security count. make security rounds. resolve issues with problematic inmates. place detainers on arrestee's and detainee's. added warrants and additional charges on detainee's prior to seeing the court commissioners. lodge detainers on committed detainees. respond to codes when assistance is needed.
Pros
meeting and bonding with staff.
Cons
understaffed
Great experience to learn about trauma informed practices
Probation/Parole Officer II (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 17, 2017
Have really enjoyed working with an all female caseload at the Fresh Start Women's Facility. It has advanced my understanding of complex trauma and how ACE's affect society on both a micro and macro level.
challenging place to work
Special Investigation Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Otisville, NYFebruary 17, 2017
Federal Corrections is very exciting, challenging place to work. You deal with various type of incarcerated people. Room for advancement is significant if willing to relocate. The job can be a very rewarding job.
Great job
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sparta, GAFebruary 16, 2017
I worked at this place of employment for 4 years and I did enjoy the opportunity. However, I had to relocated and change jobs. Traveling back to this one would have been too expensive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

75%