Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Good Job, great benefits
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Apex, NCJanuary 20, 2018
Quick paced, great people. Good working environment. Started day early in the morning, preparing trip routes for the day and getting a game plan for completing tasks at hand. Hardest part of job was motivating people that weren't really feeling it for that particular day. Most enjoyable part of the day was Thursday afternoon and knowing that all the weeks tasks were completed and the weekend was upon us and go home and relax.
dangerous
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJanuary 19, 2018
poor management, coworkers like family, decent pay, prison setting makes for a continously dangerous job. lack of advancement, seniority ruled for any time off
Pros
healthcare, job security, decent pay
Cons
A Director who never wore the uniform had no clue how dangerous a prison is.
In the Penitentary
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  State Farm, VAJanuary 19, 2018
I worked in the prison system for four years. I was definitely a learning experience. It taught me a lot about the way the criminal mind thinks and behaves. This helped me in my later position as a Probation Officer,.
Pros
Helped my career
Cons
12 hour shifts
great place to work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 18, 2018
DOC is an excellent place to work if you are interested in law maintaining law and order in yourself and in the community. I strongly recommend starting a going into this field of work because not only is it a guarantee job, it's also a career in which you can move up the ladder very quickly.
Pros
job security
Cons
working with challenging personalities
Terrible place to work
Certified Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 17, 2018
Horrible place to work. Back stabbing co workers that will turn on you in a minute.
The inmates are safer than the staff. Do not ever work for Florida DEPT. Of Correction.
Better off being a beach bum than working with a bunch of rednecks that cheat on their spouses. Use drugs and are worse than any inmate you will come in contact with.
Pros
Cons
Get out
Vert stressful
Health Information Associate (Former Employee) –  East Moline, ILJanuary 11, 2018
Your working in a prison. You always have to be on guard. Inmates have assaulted staff members. A lot of the staff, at least in healthcare, are malicious backstabbing people.
Pros
Benefits, pay, full pension
Cons
Terrible environment, always have to be on look out.
Inmates were great to teach and to give them a skill.
Teacher I (Former Employee) –  Arkansas Valley Correctional FacilityJanuary 8, 2018
The Department of Corrections was a challenging place to work, but the contact and interventions with the inmates was a great experience. Most of my co-workers were great to work with as well.
Pros
Teaching and mentoring.
Cons
Being enclosed behind the prison walls.
secure job but it takes a special person
Community Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2018
toxic culture in a changing political climate towards law enforcement. a lot of work place politics and constantly changing policy make the officers feel unsafe and unappreciated.
benefits
Cons
work place politics
NYC Department of Corrections
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2018
Working for the City of New York provides you with a plethora of financial securities which can hardly be matched in the private sector. The ability for advancement is always available, and the ability to retire after 20 years of service is unmatched in most professions.
Loved the work/disliked the mgmt.
Hearings Officer (Former Employee) –  Mitchells, VAJanuary 5, 2018
I was the Institutional Hearings Officer. My job role was stressful on a daily basis. I loved the challenge and loved the opportunity to be able to make a change in people's lives, for the better.

Unfortunately, we had not received a raise in almost six years and, in my job role, there was no room for advancement. The management at the facility I worked in left much to be desired.
Benefits
Cons
Work environment
maintenance and food services
Porter/Food Server (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 5, 2018
I had provided and prepared food services inside the correctional facility to uniform/civilian correctional workers, and various inmates.
In addition, I worked maintenance doing janitorial duties.
Its not for everyone
CORRECTION OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 3, 2018
The Job itself is not too hard. The most conflict comes into play when dealing with multiple leadership styles. Some leave you to your own devices and others love to micromanage everything.
Fun
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GAJanuary 2, 2018
Appreciate love joy kindness and I have a few minutes from downtown San Francisco Bay area and a half hour. If the weather is nice to see you in your area
Pros
Yum
Cons
Boring
department of correction
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Alto, GAJanuary 2, 2018
good place to work great work environment good people everyone there is very friendly for the most part. The inmates don't have much structure they just kinda go as they please until night fall
Pros
good staff
Cons
inmates don't have much structure
excellent
Fabricator/Lead Assistant Welder (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZDecember 30, 2017
Every day we start with our safety meeting.Then a short education on a new method or advanced. I was then given the days lay out and we cut steel to specs. Then my helper and i would weld it up.Great culture. The finished product was the most rewarding part of my days.
Pros
great team
Cons
Excellent supervisors for the roles they play. Facility was verry involved with staff and mindful of stressors that a potentially hostile enviroment m
Cook/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 30, 2017
Excellent job for those who are capable of high stress situations. Staff and inmate alike are thrown into roles that are hard to accept sometimes. You cant be people among people.
Pros
Salary and bennefits
Cons
Enviroment
Overall environment of the prison
Steward II (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 29, 2017
There is a lack of moral. Working in a prison environment is depressing. Lack of funds to fix needed equipment in a timely manner. Not being able to transfer to another institution.
Stress
Records Officer I (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 27, 2017
Stressful but rewarding. It is a lot of hard work. But you will have to challenge yourself on a daily. However, I wish we could get a raise. Our agency needs it bad.
poor management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 26, 2017
administration does not care about the work....just the numbers.
Tax payers money is wasted on people hired that do no learn the job or don't care to make departments better or improved.
Pros
leave and benefits
Cons
can't get rid of bad workers, management or issues
Horrible co workers
Corrections Officer- Indian Creek Correctional (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 26, 2017
Very relaxed environment. Officers are very young leading to immature problems at work. To many females in a male prison. Very confrontational and rude environment.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Immature co workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.