Department of Defense
1,397 reviews

Department of Defense Employee Reviews

Living the dream
Petty Officer 2nd Class (Former Employee), jacksonville flJuly 30, 2015
Pros: free chemical gear
Cons: hurry up and wait
It is the military life. I did aircraft maintenance and got to work with a lot of great people. You either love it or hate it. The smart ones get out and try their chance at a career that pays more. Its hard to do 20 years in the service.
review
SMS Admin / Lead Technician (Former Employee), Fort Polk, LAJuly 30, 2015
I appreciate the fact that they held my job while deployed for the military although they did not contact my family during my 18 month deployment
Fun Place to work
System Administrator (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2015
Fun Place to work with an easy going hard working staff, great location over looking the water. The IT equipment is up to date and they take car of their customers.
Served as HR Generalist for all serviced areas around the United States of America
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Travel, Listening to the concerns of the employee, Learning conflict resolution, Developing excellent life skills when dealing with others.
Cons: There were none...Although the commute was a "bear" on the MARC train.
As a HR Generalist I serviced all civilian employees from serviced areas around the US. It was my duty to counsel them on benefits and entitlements when they started government service and counsel them when the left service and anything issue in between that time. If a employee should die in service I was the one to counsel the family on entitlements as well. I traveled around the US and some overseas work to counsel employees when there was a Reduction-In-Force (RIF) or for new employee orientation classes. My typical day was answering inquiries via email, telephone or in person. I prepared retirement estimates for those who were anticipating retirement within the next five years. I counseled on all types of benefits from: health, life, TSP, military deposits, worker's compensation, Social Security, and disability benefits.

I learned how to present myself as a professional and built a confidence within myself in dealing with all types of personalities and professionals. I learned the confidence in public speaking because I knew my job and preformed it well and knew my subject matter. I learned how to travel around the world and developed a love of people, places and the experience of trying new things. I developed friendships all around this world by opening up and listening to my constituents.
Productivite and fast to learned
Volunteer (Former Employee), Picatinny Arsenal, New JerseyJuly 30, 2015
Respectful, follow intructions,organized,work under pressure,
good relationships and educate customer and co-worker.
veterans
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Fort Carson, COJuly 29, 2015
Pros: helping veterans
Cons: parking
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with active duty while taking care of veterans.I was honored to work with active duty men an women.
A Typical Day at Work
Editor (Current Employee), VirginiaJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Benefits package
Cons: 30 minute lunch
You are likely to work with service members and/or civilians. Your career success or failure is in your hands. Seek opportunities to learn and advance. Management might consist of retired service members who manage as if they are still in uniform; that's just how it is. The military jargon; you'll pick it up. Enjoy the diverse group of people as they transition in and out of uniform.
Stable and Secure Work Environmnet
Investigative Analyst (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 28, 2015
Opportunity to make a difference daily and assist getting U.S. taxpayers dollars back. Utilize common sense as well as analytical skills in order to assist ongoing investigations.
Great job
SECURITY ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Whitehall, OhioJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Vacation time, insurance
Cons: bad supervisors
Management is not the best but it doesn't make for a bad job, they just make bad decisions that will make your day slightly more hectic. The pay is great, the benefits are great. Work here if you can.
Work Order Technician (Current Employee), Tinker AFB, OKJuly 28, 2015
I don't have anything to say. Work hard and hopefully the managers will notice you. Enjoy the weather at Tinker. Co-workers are great.
The hardest part of the job
SITE LEAD, LOGISTICS (Former Employee), UNKJuly 27, 2015
The hardest part of the job was deployments. At any given time, you could be called upon to fulfill a contingency. many great opportunities and great challenges.
Great organization to work for
Department of Defence Police Officer / Security (Current Employee), El Centro, CAJuly 26, 2015
Great organization to work for, especially for those that have prior military experience. Although this is the civilian sector, you still have daily interactions will all military personnel. Having that common bond helps build relationships. Advancements are far and few between, but if you are looking for steady, consistent, employment this is the right place for you.
law enforcement
Police Officer (Current Employee), phoenix azJuly 24, 2015
Protecting a military installation, proper entry, flight line patrol officer, certified armory duties. Correctional officer, Transport correctional officer
Marines
Marine Field Radio Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 23, 2015
The pride of becoming a Marine is only enhanced by the fulfillment of purpose that comes from serving as one. As one of the Few,
your schedule will be full, and your mission always fulfilling. Many nights are long and all mornings are early, but every day will begin
with the realization that you make a profound difference in the world.
The management provided very little feedback and hostile work environment
Store Associate (Student Intern) (Former Employee), Biloxi, MSJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: lack of support and motivation from management
Management was not very effective in motivating employees. Enjoying meeting and interacting with others from different regions of the world. The hardest part of the job was not being able to move to different areas within the commissary and learn new jobs.
Civilian Uniformed Police Officer
Civilian Uniformed Police Officer (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 21, 2015
For over 2 years I was a Civilian Uniformed Police Officer, with all duties that it entailed and then some. Had a lot of experience while here
Great
Project Management Analyst (Current Employee), Patuxent River Naval Air Station, MDJuly 21, 2015
Enjoy working for DOD. Excellent working environment and lots of room for growth. Would recommend anyone looking for a great job with good benefits to apply here.
Fun working environment
Production (Former Employee), Painting DepartmentJuly 20, 2015
Pros: working overtime if it was available
Cons: limited parking
My co-workers were great and they did not mind assisting and providing you with the skills and knowledge that you may need to succeed.
Human Resources Officer (Current Employee), Farmingdale, NYJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Serving the world
Great work environment to learn and growth up as a human being and as a worker. A place where you work utilizing law and regulations to make everything correctly and teach others to do the same.
Challenging yet rewarding experience
Joint Staff Action Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 20, 2015
Challenging job but allowed me to utilize all of the training and experience I had acquired up to that point in my career. Great co-workers who were dedicated to mission success but also helpful when asked.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Salaries

$63,743 per year
Engineer
$86,424 per year

Department of Defense Photos

One of the hangars that we maintenance.
Bio- Risk Management Workshop