Department of Defense
1,314 reviews

Department of Defense Employee Reviews

Government agency
Electronic Industrial Controls Mechanic (Former Employee), New Cumberland, PAMay 23, 2015
Pros: benefits flexible schedules and vacation time
Cons: Heavily monitored
Military type environment, roll call, job status monitored etc. various hourly schedules available. Work orders assignment management is personal responsible. Position requires self discipline. Self starter.
Challenging Job position Various old technology systems
Good Hours and Good Pay
C130 Mechanic - Civilian Employee (Former Employee), UTMay 21, 2015
Enjoyed the hours and the pay. Management had some pros and cons but overall it was an okay place to work. It was nice to be able to work overtime and get some extra cash too.
This was a very inspiring job where I was able to apply my skills as a bilingual special education technician
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Guaynabo, PRMay 21, 2015
Pros: great salary and work environment
Cons: none that i remember right now...
A typical day at work involved teaching kids with special needs. I learned that I was born with a sense of humor and because of it I was able to teach and learned from students and other school personnel. My co-workers were a special group of dedicated teachers that had a passion for education. The hardest part was knowing that kids were neglected because of lack of family support. The most enjoyable part of my work was receiving the "Aja" of students who were leaning English and realized with their Äja" that they got it!
great!
Test Coordinator/ Firing (Current Employee), China Lake, CAMay 20, 2015
Typical day of work goes as 10 hour work days. Get to do a lot of satisfying work. As much responsibility as you can handle. A very rewarding job.
Great entity to work for
Electronics Mechanic (Former Employee), Eglin AFB, FLMay 19, 2015
Enjoyed the work and the people I worked with...Unfortunately, I had to relocate due to family reasons. I hope to catch on with the DoD again in the future.
contractor during the budget cuts
Business Financial Manager (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 18, 2015
great place to work expect when the president is making major budget cuts in the defense branch and contractors are always the first to go.
Great place to work, benefits are good but no room for career advancement in career
Unit Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Beale AFB, CAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Recognition, Problem Solving, Challenging
Cons: Government Policy, Poor Job efficiency, Sub-par on information Technology
I love where I work but I am finding it frustrating to advance in my career. I am working as a mid-level career professional but would like to move up! I believe I am working well below my career potential and need to point myself in a different direction in which the government will not allow.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with government politics and policy. There are too many road blocks to job efficiency. The IT and computer systems there are sub par and super slow!! Best part is helping people (when you have time), multi-tasking and learning all different aspects of the job. Plus, there is tons of recognition for a job well done.
Fun work place, friendly staff, good benefits.
Store Associate (Former Employee), Arlington, VAMay 18, 2015
A typical day at work for me was being on the cashier and ringing up customers groceries. I also worked in customer service where I dealt with many people daily in person and over the phone. Many of my co-workers were my age or near my age that made it even more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was working during Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, the lines were down the aisles. The most enjoyable part was helping customers with whatever they were looking for to make their shopping experience more enjoyable at our store.
Truly a New Experience everyday.
Supply Technician Administrative Technician (Current Employee), Fort Benning, GAMay 17, 2015
Pros: The Most Amazing place to learn
Cons: I could never stay clean and I have ruin every manicure I have ever had.
There is no such thing as a Typical Work Day, There is always a new and sometimes grueling challenge all day long. Yet this is where I have learned the mindset adapt and overcome at every Challenge.
Having the Co-Workers that I have is the Equivalent of lightning in a bottle. The Most Enjoyable part of my Job is Everything. The Hardest Part is I have to leave them Soon.
US Army
Human Resources and Operations Director (Former Employee), DCMay 17, 2015
Great opportunity for advancement, promotion, stability, and training. Can travel the world, great for family, and perfect medical benefits.
Army
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Campbell, KYMay 17, 2015
If you aren't prepared for late nights, early mornings, constant changes then the military may not be for you. The Army is an excellent place to contribute time, great place to continue your education while working daily.
DOD
EMERGENCY DISPATCHER (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDMay 17, 2015
Working with the Department of Defense has it's benefits. Being a veteran, I still get to work around fellow military active duty members and other veterans alike so I still feel like I am part of the military family.
Productive and Lucrative career designed to give the worker a sense of accomplishment that is unparalleled
Material Handler (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 16, 2015
A typical day at work is streamlined to make the job immensely easy to understand.I have learned valuable life skills here that I could not find anywhere else. The staff I worked with also was highly support creating a true team based environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is that is feels more like a family than business associates.
Great hands on workplace
CYPA 2 (Former Employee), Fort Polk, LAMay 14, 2015
I was a preschool teacher. I taught 4 yr olds how to read and write, and basic math.
Management was very friendly and personable with you.
Productive and challenging workplace
Manager, Spacelift Operations (Former Employee), Peterson AFB, COMay 14, 2015
As an inspector I had to ensure that all aspects of spacelift maintenance were being conducted on both the Easter Range and the Western Range, according to regulation .
The most enjoyable part of the job
Math Instructor (Current Employee), Aguadilla, PRMay 13, 2015
Pros: summers off
Cons: it's always the teachers fault
My current job is full of excitement everyday. Each day brings forth a different moment of joy. In my job, I am able to reach individuals who others have given up on. My job is bigger than just providing the students with the necessary educational skills to be successful, but also the life skills that they will need to be successful in the real-world.
A great way to accelerate your life
Information Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Seal Beach, CAMay 13, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Sometimes have to go to War
Great employer. Lots of travel. Amazing food. Fun and happy people. Healthy work environment. A typical day can consist of listening to bi-polar individuals scream at each other for no real reason.
Being able to help our veterans
Journeyman Meat Cutter (Current Employee), San Diego Naval Station, CAMay 12, 2015
Pros: Wage and benefits
Cons: Just gratefull to be working
Its a ok job not much room for advancement, but stay positive and focused. Coworkers are great enjoy working with them. I have learned how to maintain professionalism and show courteous to all in in the workplace. I enjoy very much helping our veterans of the United States armed forces
Great place to work, but no room to advance
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee), Crane, INMay 12, 2015
Pros: Competitive salary, great benefits, meet people from all over the world
Cons: Poor management, lack of communication and full disclosure, tedious at times
The benefits with the government are great, and every site is different, but my major problem was with management. People moved up because of who you know and how long you've been there, not your work ethic or skills. That's very frustrating for an eager employee looking for more opportunities.
US Goverment
Materials Handler/ /Folk Lift Operator (Current Employee), Fort Stewart, GAMay 11, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: very physical on your boby
A typical day at work is very demanding. Most of your day is planned out due to appointment made by our customer but we work in an every changing environment due to our customer needs.
It could be a last minute request for training or training aid that we supply, we function test various equipment to insure it works for our customer training needs. We issue and receive equipment using the army wide tracking system to show utilization and accountably of all training aid and equipment.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Salaries

$78,000 per year
Police Officer
$42,000 per year

Department of Defense Photos

One of the hangars that we maintenance.
Bio- Risk Management Workshop