Department of Defense Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,581 reviews matching the search
Professional and very demanding
Intel Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAFebruary 8, 2016
Working for the department of defense was a great experience for me in developing the person I am today. My days consisted of long hours, sometimes not being able to eat or only getting 4 hours of sleep. The days were both demanding then sometimes very relaxed. Thought my years working for the Department Of Defense I have learned disciple, integrity, loyalty, honesty, respect and selfless service. Overall management was both great and disappointing. Abuse of rank and overall don't care attitudes occurred a lot throughout my military career. The hardest part of the job was the toll it took on your body with the demanding and physical labor. The most enjoyable part was the fact that no matter the situation or the mission you were always family and always worked as a team and stood up for one another in time of need.
Pros
Helthcare, dental, free living, free food, life insurance policies
Cons
Pay
Great place for career advancement and learn valuable life and career skills
Contracts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Laughlin AFB, TXJanuary 25, 2016
My time in the military has been extremely beneficial. I have grown as a person and learned many things about myself. It has taught my to have a great deal of integrity and taught me to be a gracious leader as well as a helpful follower. I have learned many skills that will help me greatly in the civilian work life.
Pros
Numerous benefits and job security
Cons
Being away from family for extended periods of time for various trainings
Dept of Defense work
US Marine/US Soldier/Foreign Disclosure Officer (Current Employee) –  currently at Arlington, VAFebruary 1, 2016
I have served over 30 years all total for the Department of Defense. I was in uniform for a total of 24 years active duty as well as 3 years as a reservist. I am currently working as a civilian employee for the Department of Defense, Defense Intelligence Agency.

All total, I have enjoyed my career, both in and out of uniform. There is no way to provide an opinion on the typical work day. They are never the same. I have learned so many leadership skills and management techniques through working with such a robust cross section of American society. The hardest part of the job is the time spent away from home in harms way. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I have had the pleasure to serve with. They truly exemplify commitment and sacrifice.
Pros
Service to country, feeling like I am contributing to a greater cause.
Cons
time away from family and friends, austure and dangerous work environments.
I felt like I was able to make a contribution
Military Family Life Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJanuary 7, 2016
Working for the Department of Defense gave me an opportunity to make use of my life experiences of having had a deployed husband and moving to different military bases with a family.
I identified with the military personal and their families.
I got an update on the current issues within the DOD and got the perspective which was different from a chaplains dependent. I got updated on many advantages for those who serve. My husband was deployed during the Vietnam era.
I truly liked working for the DOD and felt the program was well implemented and had no difficulties with management. I felt like I made a contribution. I was fine with being away from home because i felt like it was worthwhile. I truly enjoyed getting updated on the military today and have encouraged young people to look at the benefits the military has to offer.
Department of Defense
UNIT DEPLOYMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 7, 2016
I have enjoyed my 23 year career in the US Air Force. As with any job there are positives and negatives. The positives far outweighed the negative during my career. The experiences I have had with the different cultures around the world are experiences I would never trade. The DoD provided the opportunity to get the chance to do things I never imagined possible earlier in life. The hardest part of the job was being away from family but at the same time it also provided some of the best as deploying to some of these countries provided me new opportunities to learn from.
Long Hours, Low Pay
Department of Defense Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYJanuary 18, 2016
Typical Police work responding to accidents, and 911 phone calls. Communicating and dealing with many individuals on an everyday basis. Management and the lack of advancement opportunities are the only reasons one may want to leave this career.
Pros
Great benefits, decent working environment
Cons
Terrible retirement, bad management.
Family oriented and hard working.
Non-Medical Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 28, 2015
A typical day was walking with my brother to appointments, taking notes, making sure he stayed on track. I learned various skills from organization to patience with a person with severe medical issues. The hardest part about the job was just the strain of making sure someone with very limited cognitive abilities could cope and manage a large medical regiment and perform to his/her best ability while being away from home. The most enjoyable part was seeing him happy to have family with him and looking after him.
Pros
Free place to call home, and enjoying some benefits he recieved.
Cons
Long hours, demanding mental and emotional strength
Focused on DoD Agency Financial Statement Audit Readiness and Supply Logistics Management Audit Work
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  New Cumberland, PAFebruary 24, 2016
DLA Auditor work was normally considered like a contractor; only general oversight responsible for establishing own proposed planned, executed, and reporting work program - objectives, procedures, testing steps, and providing senior management with in process review meetings. Very much a full filling career.
Pros
Freedom to manage own work
Cons
on going agency changes to organization and mission focus
Challenging and eye-opening environment; mission-focused
Special Agent/Counterintelligence Investigator (Current Employee) –  Fort George G Meade, MDApril 2, 2016
Each day brings new challenges from senior leadership to CONUS and OCONUS customers. There are no two days that are equal and communication between other Security representatives requires critical thinking, problem solving, and policy-aligned guidance. Learning and comprehending DOD policies and regulations reinforces requirements and statements provided to customers. Management is excited to provide guidance with questions and concerns, while providing mentorship for career progression. My co-workers are also supportive for team collaboration and on-the-job training. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is never knowing who is on the other end of the phone, or email request. Some of the responses are quick and routine information. Often, the information requested requires research, discussions, and confirmation to ensure the appropriate response is given.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, enjoy coworkers collaborative environment, Ability to make own decisions with little to no supervision; when possible.
Cons
Leadership often provides mixed information requiring follow on consultation.
My opinion of DoD is neutral
Jennifer Sampson, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 22, 2016
I've only worked for DoD in Richmond for less than 2 years. I worked in DoD for the first 12 years of my federal career in Arlington, VA at different agencies' headquarters then transferred to Washington, DC to the US Dept of HUD headquarters the last 14 years. My experience in DoD in Richmond, as a field office, has been brief and i can only say that the culture is different outside of federal headquarters offices.
Pros
No commute to DC
Excellent opportunities
Medical Records Tech/ Coder (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 15, 2016
*A typical day at work was challenging.
*Meeting quotas and learning different ways of thinking to complete a goal was positive.
* Management was challenging in reference to promotions due to the many changes that comes with military movement.
*The hardest part of the job was promotions due to to different duty stations.
*The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different people.
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJanuary 25, 2016
I know not all DoD jobs are the same, of course. This is my review of DoD STARBASE, STEM program.
Being the office administrator, my days are filled with extensive office procedures, attentive to any issues that may come about with students, teachers and office staff and ensure overall smooth flowing work day for everyone.
Pros
Excellent, exciting program for students and friendly staff
Cons
No pay raises
Work
Tools and Parts Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJanuary 3, 2016
Work is long days and hard work, but it all pays off. Fast advancements in the WG salary grades. Management staff are great and work with you when have personal issues.
Overall the department if a good place to work in.
Auditor/Accountant (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CANovember 27, 2015
The department has good management. Offers lots of job training. The benefits of the department is good. The employees that work for the department are all professional that work hard.
Pros
Good work environment.
Nice Place to Work
Project Manager / Integration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2016
Great place to work - but as a contractor it's very hard to advance. A normal day consists of being directed and not being placed into a position of making decisions.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lack of Advancement for Contractors
free to work with little or no supervision.
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 23, 2015
Typical Bureaucracy. Things get done laboriously slow. Most coworkers easy to work with. Management styles straight out of the dark ages and sloooow to change.
Pros
benefits, job security
Cons
Cumbersome bureaucracy
Find information for Civilan and Military
Technical Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2016
*a typical day at work: When someone come in with a attitude problem and do not want to listen.

*what you learned: Patrons come first all the time.

*Management: Supervises serval people on the job training and skills.

*Your co-workers: We all got along with each like a family.

*the hardest part of the job: When someone come into my office with a attitude problem and do not want to listen to me.

*the most enjoyable part of the job: When may patrons smile at me and say's outstanding job can not believe you found it . I should had came here first for my information.
Pros
Nice hours
Cons
Not enough time any a day.
Enjoyed serving my country.
Armed Service Member (Former Employee) –  Stuttgart, GEMarch 30, 2016
Serving my country was a great experience for me. I learned the meaning of purpose behind my work and how to provide superb service.
Pros
Community, brotherhood, benefits, purpose
Cons
Long hours, difficult on family
Did not provide cubicle to work at.
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Port Hueneme Naval Station, CAFebruary 7, 2016
Very bad job security. Management was unwilling to help. Good hours and pay. Supervisor was not onsite. Not part of a team. A typical day at work was working on the computer online training classes from Skillport and the Defense Acquisition University.
Productive workplace
Transec/EKMS Manager (Former Employee) –  Point Mugu CaFebruary 10, 2016
Fast paced productive work environment. Not much advancement within the company. Overall great place to work. Many skill based course were offered either in school or on line.
Pros
Benefits, breaks and lunches
Cons
Hours, recall and duty hours

4.3