Department of Defense
1,267 reviews

Department of Defense United States Employee Reviews

The Best Kept Secret in Public Education
Teacher (Former Employee), Shirley Lanham School, NAF Atsugi, JapanApril 23, 2015
Pros: Housing provided
Cons: None
There is no job in the private sector that can possibly compare to the daily wonder of working with, interacting with, and learning with a class of third grade students. In addition, working as a teacher with DoDEA placed me in a unique teaching situation in Japan, a true melting pot of cultures in each classroom with seldom more than twenty students, the children of U.S. Navy personnel stationed with their families overseas. I have always maintained an excellent rapport with the parents of my students and, as a result, have experienced very positive outcomes in student progress. Again, no supervisor of adults in the workplace ever deals with the kind of energy, creativity, and dynamic curiosity that occurs in a group of eight and nine year olds! No two days in succession are ever the same.
DoDEA provides housing in addition to the salary and I was able to live off-base in a Japanese community and take full advantage of being an integral part of that community. Travel is encouraged with a flight home every two years and access to tours in the local area and in the region. Being a photographer, I have been able to expand my photographic resume while here and establish a viable website to showcase my work: fototake.smugmug.com
I was Technical Scientist during summer internship
Technical Scientist (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAApril 22, 2015
Technical Scientist, I learned how to reviewed all proposals, group discussion with negative and positive debate how to improve technology and protect the environment. The management was great and coworkers were great too. The most enjoyable part of the job was work as team work and challenge my skills to become better team player.
Decent work enviroment
Squad leader (Former Employee), Ft. Wainwright AkApril 20, 2015
Pros: health care
Cons: no family time, biased opinions, favoritism, abusement of power
Workload was to much and not enough family time. To much favoritism for employees. Not a well structure work enviroment. No equal opportunity for all employees.
clean environment office atmosphere
Electronic Technician (Current Employee), Vandenberg Air Force BaseApril 17, 2015
Pros: nice provisions access to health clubs and facilites
Cons: late night work shifts
Review the work assignment, gather tools, equipment and personnel load vehicles and sign for items needed for the task at hand, contact other agencies for their support and position them where needed, set up equipment as needed, and perform work as required. Team work is the most valuable asset for this type of work environment, without it most of the day will go to waste, working outside on the central coast is most enjoyable, the weather is mostly sunny with little or no wind and rain.
always strive to do the very best and work as a team
Westaff Civ Contractor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 16, 2015
Pros: working with customers on a daily basis
Cons: healthcare cost
The most enjoyable part of my work experience resolving and researching information , validating and finally being able to take pride of my assigned projects and really making a large contribution for our customers that we serve.
Fun but challenging place to work
Supply Technician (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 16, 2015
Pros: good benifits and ability to obtain knowledge
Cons: Long hours and time away from home
I love working for the DOD. I have the ability to directly effect soldiers and airmen, in their day to day operations. It provides a fun but fast paced and challenging work place.
Enjoyed most!
Equipment Operator (CDL-A) (Former Employee), Elmendorf AFB, AlaskaApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great pay
Cons: Health Insurance too expensive
I enjoyed working for the Air Force because it allowed me to relive my military days while serving my country. It was a job that was mission essential at all times. Great atmosphere.
great to work for our govt.
Welder/Armorer (Former Employee), Yermo MLB,CAApril 13, 2015
wonderful to support our men and women.Working on armored vehicles.From management to low level workers everyone in tune with their responsibilities. To make a safe product to bring them back to their families safe was rewarding in itself.
Work Place
lead police Sergeant (Current Employee), 8000 Jefferson Davis Highway Richmond, VA 23297April 13, 2015
A typical day at work is the usual good people service; stolen property, assist with vehicle lock outs, employee to employee disagreements, treats on employee by spouse from the outside.

Vehicle stops, traffic infractions, issues of summons, safe guard installation at different post assignment, check identifications of every person entering installation, conduct investigations of matters that could pose a treat to installation, write reports, conduct roll call.
Structured work environment
Writer, Managerial Editor, Photographer (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 12, 2015
Pros: Good pay, benefits, and feeling of helping veterans
Cons: Lack of creating vision and autonomy of individual staff
Meaningful work
Great opportunity to learn a variety of software packages
Highly skilled workforce
Job provided a sense of accomplishment
Frequently changing in striving to always be better than before, challenging and rewarding.
Customer Interaction Center Agent (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIApril 11, 2015
Pros: Sense of pride in my work.
Cons: System checks can be lengthy at times.
The work could be very challenging. Although, when I provided resolutions to customer issues, the feeling of accomplishment was extremely rewarding.
Great job
civilian employee (Former Employee), Moreno Valley CaliforniaApril 8, 2015
This job fit me well as a civilian after leaving the military. Pay was outstanding and the travel fit me well for being single at the time.
I loved it there
Aviation General Support Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Reno, NVApril 6, 2015
Pros: The friendships
Cons: Having to be in the military to keep my job
If it wasn't for me having to get out of the military I would still be at this job. It was the best time of my life. If only I could have been a true civilian.
A positive experience with the right mindset
ALTERNATE COMMUNICATIONS SECURITY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 6, 2015
DOD was a great time and great learning experience. A part of me would actually like to move back up north to work for them again. Great people with great attitudes is how i remember everything!
Fun place to work.
Sales Store Checker (Current Employee), Shaw AFB, SCApril 6, 2015
Pros: plenty of lunch breaks
Cons: rude customers
Great management. Sometimes customers can be rude but most days were pretty smooth. You get plenty of lunch breaks depending on how long you work for that day.
Qualifications Summary
Administrative Support for Front Office (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAApril 6, 2015
• Diligent and precise, works well independently or as a team member
• Receptive to learning new skills
• Ability to handle multiple assignments
• Exceptional interpersonal skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Detail oriented
• Able to create new ideas and execute them
• Great oral and written communication skills
• Ability to learn new methods, processes and procedures
• Excellent computer skills: Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, Internet Explorer and various DISA specific applications
Met many good people and travelled to many interesting places throughout the United States.
Inspector/ Escort Leader (Former Employee), Fort Belvoir, VAApril 2, 2015
Honored to have been given the opportunity to serve alongside service members of all branches of the military. Felt like we were making a difference throughout the world by enforcing and supporting the Chemical Weapons Convention.
great benefits
sheet metal mechanic (Current Employee), Hill air force baseMarch 31, 2015
A day at work consist of reviewing blue prints and fixing air craft. I fabricate parts and install various types of fastners.
Love my job
Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Apg, MdMarch 30, 2015
There are some good and some not as great things about working for the department of defense however all in all i love my job and it is great
Daily Work Load
Escort Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Bragg, NCMarch 28, 2015
I escort non-clearance personal throughout FORSCOM. Everyone in this building must have a clearance or be escorted. It require for me to stand up all day.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Salaries

$40,000 per year
Logistics Management Specialist
$61,000 per year

Department of Defense Photos

One of the hangars that we maintenance.
Bio- Risk Management Workshop