Department of Defense
1,040 reviews

Department of Defense Employer Reviews

Exciting environment
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee), Andrews AFB, MDSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: great benefits and pay
Cons: see above
Not as stable as it was before all the economic and political issues that we have faced over the last 2 years.
Nice Place to work
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Watertown, NYSeptember 26, 2014
This company is great for Military spouses. Most spouses have the opportunity to relocate when their spouse changes duty stations.
DPW Fort Buchanan - CCITE Contractor
DPW Fort Buchanan - CCITE Contractor (Former Employee), Guaynabo, Puerto RicoSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: good engineering experience, close to my home.
Cons: healthcare, not enough equipment.
Every day I had to pass through a check point for full Positive ID by military personnel.

Every day I check my e-mails and answer them the best I could, providing the information my clients requests.

I prepare construction estimates, that lead me to use of the internet to find the most accurate price in the market, and to find possible solutions to – more... the engineering problems that I was challenged at the construction sites.

I took a lot of measurements and determine estimate quantities.

I also, prepare drafts drawings in the computer using AutoCAD.

I also prepare and review technical specifications.

I performed Quality Assurance visits to the ongoing construction projects of the office and prepare a report of the findings.

The hardest part of my job was the use of AutoCAD. I am not that fast as a professional drafter can be, and It took long hours to develop and editing a full set of engineering technical drawings.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to take field measurements and to make all necessary calculations to determine estimate quantities, and also the day that I have completed a design package that got approved by the Chief Engineer and the Head Director the Directorate of Public Works. – less
Military
Network Engineer/System Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort Benning, GASeptember 25, 2014
Amazing experiences from 7 years in the service. Very motivated morning physical exercises, then a workday that is extremely productive. You never leave work without knowing exactly the task for tomorrow with additional information passed down by leaders.
Department of Defense
Senior Auditor (Current Employee), Frederick, MDSeptember 23, 2014
Good Place to work

flexible work hours and excel training

allows for career advancement
Great Workplace
Senior Records Manager (Former Employee), Fort Belvoir, VASeptember 23, 2014
• Valued by supervisors for having a strong commitment to the department’s/companies missions, goals and objectives
Bagging Groceries
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Millington, TNSeptember 23, 2014
Cons: no real direction.
Greet the customers with a warm and welcoming personality, bag their groceries in a organized fashion or to their liking, and assist them to their car where you help load the vehicle.
I learned to work in a highly fast paced environment, to train people, and to work in a solo environment.
Management was never stagnant, there was always a different manager – more... every two-three months, highly unorganized.
Co-workers were a split between high school, to the recently graduated, and the older adults who have been in the business for a long time. A definite divide.
Hardest part would be on busier days and not being able to take a break. – less
Very Stuctured
EQUIPMENT CLEANER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Tinker AFB, OKSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: very structured and you will be thoroughly trained.
Cons: you have more work than there is time to finish.
You are given all the tools you need to succeed. You need to do your job fully and take on additional duties to be successful.
Good work place for an entry engineer.
Welding Engineer (Current Employee), Norfolk Naval ShipyardSeptember 22, 2014
I am not a welding engineer by degree, but I have learned a lot about welding through the various training programs provided here.
Great job
Budget Analyst, (Former Employee), Fort Monmouth, NJSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: benfits
I started right out of college and had numerous positions. Lots of room to grow and great vacation and benefits package. Wish i never left.
A nice job
Trainer (Former Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 21, 2014
This was a great opportunity. It was a fun job. I enjoyed training.
Not enough salary for well educated personnel
System Engineer (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALSeptember 20, 2014
Not enough salary for well educated personnel
Not enough permissions for well educated personnel
Department of Defense US Army
Quality Assurance, Maintenance Test Pilot (Current Employee), Savannah, GASeptember 20, 2014
Pros: benefits, job experiences
Cons: war
Best 22 years of my life. I had the opportunity to develop from a young unguided 18 year old into a professional Aviator, Leader, and Soldier.
time to move on
Distribution Process Worker (Current Employee), Tracy, CASeptember 20, 2014
Time to move on.
Terrible advancement opportunities.
No sense of urgency
Bad leadership
Good for promotion
Site Security Officer (SSO) (Former Employee), Ft. DetrickSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: good work enviroment
Cons: distance
I liked my position. It allowed me to work on my own without a lot of oversight.
Challenging
European Data Storage Manager (Current Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 19, 2014
Working for the government is always a challenge with personnel cuts and budgeting restraints. Working with a global team has been a memorable experience that I have enjoyed. Building an effective team that meets the everyday challenges was never a dull moment.
Productive place to work
Over all Sales Associate (Former Employee), Marysvill, WashingtonSeptember 18, 2014
Great advancement, great learning tool.
Management is always there to help along the way.
Co-workers are will to help in any way possible
Hardest part of the job, is there is not enough work time
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers in any way possible.
Long Hours
Administrative Technician/Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VASeptember 16, 2014
The Military is demanding with long hours and very little time for a social life. Requires to try many jobs and to learn new skills.
Productive, Attentive, Researcher
Family Readiness Support Assistant (Current Employee), Fort Carson, COSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: team player, provide useful community resource, effective communicator
Cons: transition
• Use independent thinking, creativity, and flexibility.
• Interpret the needs of diverse audiences and coordinate needs with Executive Management.
• Establishes internal procedures to ensure adequate control in terms of deadlines, progress reports, and directives, which will increase the general flow of information and overcome bottlenecks in the administrative – more... process.
• Skill in oral/written communication of ideas, concepts, methods, analyses, evaluations and recommendations to management staff.
• Independently act to secure the required administrative and managerial support to meet operating requirements. – less
Large Organization with a diverse work force
Deputy, Flight Test Management (Former Employee), Redstone Arsenal, ALSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: the mda is a leader in the defense industry
Cons: the organization is very large making it difficult to be efficient.
The Missile Defense Agency has a very large government civilian and contractor workforce.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Photos