Department of Defense

1.6K reviews

Department of Defense Employee Reviews

Found 1,500 reviews matching the search
Provide graphic artist skills was my start here as a GS-04
LOGISTICS SYSTEMS PROCESS SPECIALIST, WEB (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 13, 2012
Serve as a POC (Person of Contact) for the AEPS (Army Electronic Product Support) interface with web enabled U.S Army business processes and legacy systems writing and tracking MOA’s (Memorandums of Agreement) and SOU’s (Scopes of Understanding) for high level signature while preparing process flows and cost estimates to justify the requests. School trained in overall knowledge of the FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulations). Serve in extended developmental details learning and working with DFARS (Defense FAR Supplement) and Government Regulatory Standards procedures. Knowledgeable of Government Acquisition Regulations, with an emphasis on regulations pertaining to services and GSA contracts and on all contract types including performance based contracts. Ensure and lead organizational compliance with Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act and various parts and subparts on how to become compliant overseeing in particular Subpart B -- Technical Standards as pertaining to AMC (Armament and Munitions Command) by instruction and guidance to organization supervisors and team leaders. Mission schedules and deadlines were met 100%.
Provide graphic artist skills to generate quality displays, logos, web screens, presentations, animations and live web sites--helping the marketing of the AEPS web business processes. Participate in AEPS and U.S. Army demonstrations at symposiums and conferences national and international. Serve as primary ADPE (Automated Data Processing Equipment) Person of Contact (POC) for AEPS team and coordinate team software and hardware needs with the Logistics Information
  more... Office and TACOM-Rock Island POCs. Ensure quality equipment and software is available for AEPS staff to enable development, production, and demonstration of a premier secure Army web site. Keep accurate accounts and inventory of all equipment and software for the AEPS team--2 hand receipts (42 associates on 5 teams). Pair equipment needs with training, deployment and developmental needs; and provide superior analysis of needs and obtain appropriate equipment. Train, assist and guide team members with variety of tasks as needed. Mission schedules and deadlines were met 100%.
Pioneer modern aspects of TM (Technical Manual) and IETM (Integrated Electronic Technical Manual) writing production. Acted as a catalyst for implementing new and improved ways of doing business. Demonstrate broad knowledge of computer graphics systems by assisting personnel in making the transition from drawing board based illustration to new personal computer LAN based hardware and software. Willingness to teach this knowledge of how to accomplish technical writing tasks flows on the PC equipment is a fine example of true team spirit. Also explore new methods by utilizing the PC LAN to share production tasks with other technical writers in other division branches. With little or no prompting from a team leader or supervisor, establish process flows with other writers where creation and digitalization of illustrations and photos were accomplished, delivery the finished illustration to the writer over the LAN (Local Area Network), which permitted the assigned writer to complete the production of the final pages in a timely fashion according to the guidelines of military technical maintenance procedures i.e. MIL-HDBK-1222c and other guidelines. Utilized these processes in publishing Technical Manuals for the M119 Howitzer, the M198 Howitzer, the OH58D Kiowa Scout attack helicopter and several other systems and tool kits. Provide outstanding assistance to higher graded personnel in computer aided illustration projects and high-level staff presentations. This assistance included scanning data, file management tasks and page layout procedures. Assistance permitted higher graded associates time to concentrate on more complex tasks. Support to customers of the Logistic Service Branch was commended. Production schedules and deadlines were met 100%. Exceptional Performance Ratings were received regularly with promotions and awards.

Retired as a GS-12
Pros
job security and dignity!
Excellant
Naval Medical Research Unit Dayton (NAMRU-D) (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 21, 2014
Experienced Research Biologist and program environmental scientist, responsible for toxicology operational test and evaluation team, directed as a team leader toxicological evaluation projects, planning and execution in support of command. Maintained exceptional internal and external customer support with continual oversight of Federal, DoD, and U.S. Navy programs to include management of administrative, fiscal, safety, facility, and contracting functions. Evaluated and provided input on subordinate staff to next level management (Branch Director) for consideration in strategic planning / budgets and developed briefings. Identified and developed number of Defense related data gaps and interdisciplinary studies that addresses issues of toxicology, specifically neurotoxicology, traumatic brain injury and prevention, biomarkers, nanotoxicology, reproductive health resulting from environmental and occupational exposure to chemicals, vapors, gases, metals particulate matters (Middle East sand dust), and solved problems using in vitro/in vivo mechanistic and molecular approaches. Leveraged technical expertise, guided new technologies, delivered novelty and solved issues for war fighter’s health using inhalation toxicity studies. Developed anti-dotes for chemical warfare agents, evaluated Jet fuel toxicity/skin irritation, initiated and proposed study on women health following submarine contaminations exposure, and Defense related chemical and biological exposure/toxicity detection. As a Technical Director served as principal advisor to the Officer-In-Charge; provided guidance and  more... mentor scientists in conducting toxicological research in a manner which leads to personal growth; maintained liaison with higher and adjacent commands, and cultivated relationships with academia, industry, Federal and/or DoD agencies that lead to furtherance of Navy’s mission. Advised as a subject matter expert to Officer-in-Charge and reported findings and explored unit strategic planning. Evaluated progress reports on funded projects and conducted review on program projects grants. Familiarized in preparing and negotiating partnership agreements (CRADAs, MOU and testing service agreements) and contracts in environmental science field. Several years as senior scientist, principle investigator, supervisor and project leader served to the Navy and Air Force on various capacities. As a program/scientific leader, understood the working knowledge of ICH, EPA and FDA guidelines (GLP regulations) related to non-clinical safety studies and directed technical staffs and researchers towards this direction. As a long-standing member provided Institutional Animal Care and Use Program (IACUC) oversight and formulated, reviewed, and suggested standard operating procedures, and animal facilities. Integrated multi-agency partnership, conducted specialty DoD group meetings to develop solutions for time-critical war fighter’s requirements. Trained Lean Six Sigma (green belt) and established strategies and tools necessary for process improvement, and saved time and money in the working organization. Conducted and trained the goals of equal employment opportunity (EEO) and took positive steps to assure the accomplishment of affirmative action objectives. Organized and presented Defense related seminars, conferences/symposia, workshops at National and International levels and published related research activities in peer-reviewed journals (more than 50 publications). Performed toxicological reviews of specific substances. Advised on the development and interpretation of information and the solution of problems in area of specialization. In addition, I am involved in non-supervisory work of the unit. Overall, exhibited the highest standards of professionalism.  less
Position Review
Office Automation Specialist (Current Employee) –  MacDill AFB, FLMarch 21, 2013
Fully trained and successfully proficient in the administration of human resources and office automation programs in the customer service section, Military Personnel Office at Macdill AFB, Tampa FL. Duties include performing various administrative and clerical duties, monitoring, review, approval, and processing of military leaves requests, accountability for projected gains/losses, processing of SGLI and FSGLI insurance for military service members and in-processing of inbound and outbound personnel. Duties also include research and update of automated military personnel systems, review for accuracy, verification, approval and processing of military awards and decorations. Customer service functions include DEERS processing, research, and processing of all military, civilian, dependent and retiree identification cards.

Current primary duties are focused on the conducting of interviews to include the receipt of applications and processing for U.S. Government official passports for military members, their dependents and those civilians requiring official passports for overseas government travel .Examining citizenship documents submitted with the application to establish its authenticity relating to controlling passport laws, regulations and procedures. Completing correspondence to applicants requesting additional documentation as well as act as point of contact for passport related issues.

more... Tampa FL. Office automation duties include performing various administrative and clerical duties, preparation of recurring and nonrecurring personal and official correspondence, reports, and other documents. Responsible for the review of incoming/outgoing correspondence and numerous official and personal reports.
Additionally, charged with the task of receiving all telephone calls, greeting visitors and determining the nature and priority of in-coming calls or visits to the office.

Maintain a high level of proficiency with multiple office automation software with varied functions to produce a wide range of documents that often require complex formats, such as graphics or tables within text, editing and reformatting electronic drafts, and updating or revising existing databases or spreadsheets. Also maintain a well founded knowledge in the setup, installation and operations of LAN networks.

Possess an extremely high level of competence with approximately three years of specialized experience, to include procedural and administrative office work, preparing and editing documents, maintaining files/records, making and preparing travel arrangements, locating, assembling and composing information for reports, inquiries, and non-technical correspondence
Pros
great benefits, retirement
Cons
long drive to work
Great job to have while in school
Commissary Bagger (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYMarch 19, 2014
I started working when I was 17 years old in 2007. Being a bagger at the Commissary was a laid back job which gave me the ability to make money and have plenty of time to focus on school work. The only day I had to work was Sundays and the rest of the week I had the choice of coming into work if I wanted to. Of course, the older I got the more I had to work as I started obtaining bills. Our only form of pay though was tips.
A typical day of work was going to, getting in line with the other baggers to wait for an open register, bagging the customers groceries, and then walking them to their car to put the groceries away for them. This process was done repetitively. The management was not at it's greatest. The way one would obtain a "head bagger position" would be done with a vote. In the end it seemed to be more of a popularity contest than anything else. Luckily, because I just come to work, did my job, and went home, I was able to stay away from the drama that comes with any job.
My co-workers consisted of a variety of people ranging from ages sixteen to past retired age. Maybe of the older workers were of an Asian decent so I was able to learn quite a bit of their culture and listen to many other languages be spoken.
The hardest part of the job was when I wasn't making enough money and would struggle with paying my bills. The job itself is not difficult by any stretch of the imagination, but when the income is relied solely on the generosity of other people it can go from making $20 an hour average or to barely passing the 1980's minimum wage for the night.
The best part about
  more... the job was being able to meet so many people. Granted I would have some customers that didn't want to hold a conversation, and that's okay. Sometimes I would get a customer though that I would hold a twenty minute conversation with. When I found out my now husband at the time was joining the Army I was able to confined in a lot of Army spouses. I've been told happy and sad stories from my customers. At the end of their shopping trip, the bagger were the workers they spent the most time with, and I like to be able to make their experience an enjoyable one, especially for the new military families who just moved to town.
Overall, being a bagger was a great job to have when I was in high school and college, but as I got older and graduated, it was time to leave that job behind. In December of 2013 I got married and was able to quit my job since we were moving to Alabama from Tennessee. I am hoping to be able to find a job here in my new home so I can start to build my new life wit my husband.
Pros
plenty of free time, easy job, time with customers
Cons
no pay (tips only), poor management
Supporting and giving back to our Soliders/Uniformed Service Members
Supply Technician/Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  McChord AFB, WAMarch 23, 2013
Typical day at the office was never typical. Always different tasks to perform always maintained the "roll with it" mentality. Along with being the Housing Manager came with the responsibility of managing over 550 leased spaces and their Soldiers. Always eventful, whether the day consisted of housing new Soldiers that arrived in the middle of the night or Soldiers who had issues with their rooms etc. Monthly I paid hotel bills in excess of $1.5 million dollars.
I also was the Supply Technician/Purchasing Agent in charge of unit supplies and purchases. Maintained inventories, recieved 100% audit success rate for 5 years. Also maintained, proofed, budgeted monthly bank statements and allotments.
Also oversaw the Government Vehicle Fleet of over 2,500 vehicles. Issued them out to units and individual Soldiers. Responsible for maintaining all maintenance on every vehicle and trackin the wearabouts and mileage on a daily basis.
Everyday I learned something new, wheather it was a new system implemented, a new set of orders to read and interpret or research. I learned that always treating people (Soldiers, customers, co-workers) how I want to be treated is the best policy and will get me the most respect and understanding. We're all human.
I managed my day with priority, organization, time management and dedication to all that I do. If I was unable to accomplish the requirements in an 8 hour work shift, there were always more hours to get it done. I have never had an issue with my co-workers, I am independant as well as a team player, if an issue or concern arose, I just politely and
  more... respectfully brought it to attention. I enjoy the relationships and bonds built with my co-workers and respect differences.
The hardest part of the job is when there were multipule deadlines to meet with unexpected interruptions. The day changes rapidly and I always had to "adjust fire" and roll with it. Sometimes it could be stressful however, it's always nice to be part of a team who jumps to help at anytime. Also, quitting time is never when the clock hits that time, it's when the job is complete.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the journey it took me on daily. Always something new to learn, someone new to meet, a new computer application to learn and the sense of accomplishment and knowing that my job functions played huge roles in the day to day lifes of my Soldiers, customers and my co-workers....as did their presence in my day.
Pros
ability to help and assist our soldiers
Cons
i cannot always please everyone
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Lead Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VASeptember 29, 2015
MAJOR DUTIES:Lead Police Officer, (Sergeant), 0083/GS-07 for the Law Enforcement Operations Division at Defense Logistics Agency (DLA),Defense Enterprise Support (DES),Headquarters Complex.Posts Police Officers at designated security and traffic checkpoints within the facility and controls access to restricted areas. As a Desk Sergeant I control access to and monitor door alarms using closed–circuit television and digital recording equipment.Provides first responder services for all Occupant Emergency situations, Fire, Bomb, CBRNE, Hazmat, Medical and Work Place Violence. Maintained communication continually with mobile police patrols and security units throughout the base.Coordinate emergency responses between police, security, fire, and other emergency units.Receives, and act on calls concerning reports of violations or complaints to include;911 emergency calls or duress alarms.Provides leadership, supervision, and guidance to a subordinate staff of police officers and security employees; manages and provides technical supervision and guidance to the police staff of eight police officers; plans, formulates,and directs the implementation and execution of training programs in a roll-call setting and policies in order to support the DLA’s Police Force missions. Maintained traffic control and enforced traffic regulations and safety; applied crime prevention measures and maintained knowledge of federal and state codes,local laws, and statutes. Responded to calls, alarms, and other emergency incidents involving possible criminal acts including work place violence. Patrols assigned  more... area on foot and by motor vehicle and performs duty at various fixed posts. As Acting Supervisory Police Officer I'm responsible for planning, administering, and supervising law enforcement operations which includes security operations in the Headquarters Complex Defense Logistics Agency. Advises immediate supervisors of security requirements and justifies changes to security plans and programs, staffing levels and priorities to meet requirements. Implements the necessary administrative responsibilities and duties of the first line supervisor. Responsible for the protection of the lives and property of the community and all visitors within his area, and the satisfactory performance and general supervision of approximately 15 Officers/Employees.  less
Pros
QUALITY OF LIFE IS OUTSTANDING.
Cons
NO FREE LUNCH.
Advance Training
ARMED GUARD AND GUARD TEAM SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Moyock, NCOctober 8, 2015
My primary duty at Camp Dwyer is to protect military security forces and contract personnel or others within
the FoD who are believed to be in imminent danger or serious bodily harm, to prevent the actual or threatening
theft of, damage to or espionage aimed at property or information specifically designated by the commanding
officer or other competent authority to be vital to national forces. I performed my duties by operating guard towers
in a military defensive position and offensive setting on the perimeter wire of the Dwyer U.S Marine camp, (FOD)
to stop or prevent any threat by unknown threats by proficiently operating the following fire systems in the
tower; M50 CAL, M2490 machine gun; M4 Riffle and operating portable rapid deployment surveillance systems
(PRDSS) Lockheed Martin Gyrocam Systems and backscatter x-ray technology at the ECP, “Entry Control point” in effort of observations of approaching threats at threatening distance range. Conduct personal searches and vehicle searches for any prohibited items not allowed entering or departing the Camp Dwyer.
Be knowledgeable of detecting any explosive material or devices in effort to secure the area and notify EOD.

I have filled in and selected as a permanent (GTS) Guard team supervisor. My primary duty as a GTS is the
first line of supervision responsible for management personnel, Guard Mounts, Mobile patrols and presence
operations, and troubleshooting. Responsibilities are not limited to training, quality control, accountability, and
defensive reaction force of 18 to 20 personnel squadron teams. I am
  more... responsible for deploying my squad to
designated areas on the base in results of small arms fire and attacks in efforts to protect population centers,
critical areas, residents, assist with mass casualties and cordon off or contain threats. Assign training scenarios related to small arms fire in defensive posture, Assure all weapons
are functional and EOF, Escalation of Force procedures are known and up to date. Performed all initial and
refresher training, and preparation and execution of Emergency Response Drills.
Conduct Airfield perimeter and flight line checks, overview of Apac terminal security searches.
Conduct B-Doc operations along with fire warden duties of living quarters and guard towers including.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Away from home long periods of time.
Great place to work and very busy. A very Senior Ranking population. You must be on your toes
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2015
Data Metrix assistant to the Director of Pentagon Tri Service Dental Clinic.
Developed and presented visual data reports, utilizing MS Power Point, for the dissemination of command readiness on a monthly basis. Collected production data and developed reports for 40 general and specialty dentist, and 6 dental hygienists. Alerted the Director to trend shifts in productivity, allowing for the adjustment of personnel to maintain readiness standards. Utilized metrix data to provide recommendations for awards, and provided data for yearly personnel evaluations. Developed productivity figures to follow cost of in house lab procedures, allowing for more complete data, used in evaluations of lab personnel and for command cost analysis. Composed data of over 3500 Army personnel, used to determine troop readiness for deployment. Achieved a 97% over all dental readiness, 2% over minimum requirements. Ensured accurate records of dental treatment were documented within the established guidelines, by reviewing 100 - 200 records daily. Initiated an email appointment system that lessened the time spent on phone calls by 33%. In the environment of the Pentagon, most military personnel preferred this method, resulting in a large decrease of no show appointments. Trained personnel in the use of “Corporate Dental Application”. Primary contact for other minor computer issues that resulted from changes to the Corporate Dental Application. Experienced in MS Excel, MS Power Point, MS Word, Dencas, CDA, Medpros, and GIQD.
Pros
always busy and very good people to work with
Cons
constant turnover and slow to replace those who leave
What I did
(USAF) - Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warner RobinsJanuary 27, 2014
Identified lack of proper 1553 protocol using a bus analyzer (PASS 3200), and after code implementation, authored scripts to qualify the implemented code which status pools the passive channel with a mode message tag within the proper 1553 Word and Sub-address
 Traveling long term, months at a time, on-site, relaying software domain knowledge between Government and Contractor—The Boeing Corporation—which gives a fundamental understanding of Government and Contractor business relations involving: subcontracted shared worked load, management of monetary funds used in business travels, and long term organic transfer of systemic knowledge
 Execution of regression test scripts–for software changes which may cause incompatibilities due to intermeshing code units –and sequestration of any failed test cases via .ksh scripting, as to better manage the large volume of test case failures
 During a yearlong software development project, actively participated at the Boeing Corporation in the AGILE—a software management process which breaks tasks down into manageable units and fosters team member cooperation
 Using .csh, authored script which pipes an xterm session on the current users display by setting the $DISPLAY variable accordingly and the value in this being: any user will be able to pipe an xterm session, using the same script, regardless of the user being in different locations within the network
 Understanding aspects of avionics, systems engineering, and having the ability to find impacted code units, using a Linux/Unix based environment, able to perform software maintenance
  more... and once the code units have been changed, perform regression testing  less
Live to work at the DOD
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAMarch 21, 2013
Write procedures to repair/replace main shaft lines and propellers on the U.S. Navy's Aircraft Carriers and Submarines. This includes routine maintenance as well troubleshooting unexpected deficiencies and designing a creative solution to undock the vessels in a timely manner. Ordering material through vendors or stock system based on MIL-SPEC and ASME Standards. Scheduling meetings with other engineering disciplines and support teams (rigging, inside/outside machine shops, welders, and inspectors) throughout the entire evolution for feedback and troubleshooting.

Design process improvement tools to increase the safety of operations and increase efficiency. This includes drawing development, stress analysis, material ordering, and support during development and testing to achieve a safe and effective final product.

Upper level management is too far out of reach to make any quality of life improvements.

Coworkers have an incredible knowledge base but are content with their current positions working instead of managing.

The hardest part of my job is not knowing what I don't know. If I wasn't involved in a certain project years ago, I can't apply it to my current task. I run into situations where past experiences are not documented and therefore I can only find out about them through communication with my peers.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the scale of the projects I work on. I deal with objects that weigh hundreds of tons on a daily base. Most engineers only thought these situations were homework problems in their textbooks.
Pros
yearly promotions
Cons
unable to park on-site, isolated, poor work environment
High profile job with emphasis on public relations.
Pentagon Tour Guide and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 2, 2013
Work started at 6:00 a.m. with physical training, a mix of Cross-fit and running. Following recuperation time lessons that had been prepared a day earlier would be conducted in a classroom. Review and recital, being a valuable part of the learning process, was incorporated to help with memorization. After 3 hours of lessons a brief lunch period was allowed and following lunch more classes would be introduced. The day would generally end at 4:00 p.m. to allow the students ample time to eat, study, and sleep in preparation for the following day.
During this time period I learned a great deal about leadership. A leader is not meant to just assume that those under them will learn on their own, but a leader needs to assist and help guide the lessons and make sure that everyone is achieving success. This includes using personal time to help those that don't learn as fast and providing support and stability as well.
The hardest part of being an instructor for this program would have been making the memorization process simple and then relating the material to the service member.
My coworkers in the classroom were a joy to work alongside. We each recognized an affinity within each other for certain teaching aspects and encouraged each other to share that with the students to better help them learn.
The most enjoyable part of my time as an instructor/tour guide would have to have been teaching. I enjoyed the opportunity to let others not only ask me questions, but determine what they wanted to learn on our tours and help them discover a little more of the world they live in.
EMR Implementation Consultant/Trainer
EMR Implementation Consultant/Trainer (Former Employee) –  EMR Implementation Consultant/TrainerMarch 1, 2013
• Ambulatory/Outpatient Clinics EMR Trainer Access the current state and move for with the future state at NHJAX Hospital Essentris (EMR) prepared training schedule for end users on the functionality of Essentris. (Electronic Management Record) "Essentris allows Nurses and Physicians to spend less time charting and taking manual notes, and more time with patients, who benefit from their care. Successfully deployed leading software product physician practices with excellent customer service skills. Positive attitude and dynamic presentation skills flexibility to travel to clinical center Committed to continually improving my technical, presentation, and communication skills. In addition proven experience working with practices management on t systems in a clinical environment, Excellent understanding of workflows and change management using standardize clinical documentation to improve quality of care. Trained providers on Dragon speech recognition software you talk, and it types. Train the provider using their voice to create and edit documents or emails, launch applications, open files

• Implemented a client design training module to improve client knowledge on EMR system
• As a team leader developed resource plan in order to reach the clients goals.
• Lead training teams to maintain and improve their job skills, based on assessment of on-site training during client visits
• As a team lead monitored the training time line and reported the clients progress
• Managed 5-10 EMR Trainers (Software Trainers)
Served as HR Generalist for all serviced areas around the United States of America
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 30, 2015
As a HR Generalist I serviced all civilian employees from serviced areas around the US. It was my duty to counsel them on benefits and entitlements when they started government service and counsel them when the left service and anything issue in between that time. If a employee should die in service I was the one to counsel the family on entitlements as well. I traveled around the US and some overseas work to counsel employees when there was a Reduction-In-Force (RIF) or for new employee orientation classes. My typical day was answering inquiries via email, telephone or in person. I prepared retirement estimates for those who were anticipating retirement within the next five years. I counseled on all types of benefits from: health, life, TSP, military deposits, worker's compensation, Social Security, and disability benefits.

I learned how to present myself as a professional and built a confidence within myself in dealing with all types of personalities and professionals. I learned the confidence in public speaking because I knew my job and preformed it well and knew my subject matter. I learned how to travel around the world and developed a love of people, places and the experience of trying new things. I developed friendships all around this world by opening up and listening to my constituents.
Pros
Travel, Listening to the concerns of the employee, Learning conflict resolution, Developing excellent life skills when dealing with others.
Cons
There were none...Although the commute was a "bear" on the MARC train.
Confidential Envrionment that Enjoys Family
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 14, 2013
A typical day at work is never the same although there were a few routine checks. The work day as an administrative assistant within this organization dependant upon to whom you were the assistant for as this is a rank driven organization. This position is an federal government position that detail a lot of confidentiality and hierchy assembly. Typically you would routinely check the calendar for meetings that needed to be scheduled or meetings the commander was scheduled for and made appropriate arrangement for such meetings. You were in charge of mandated the calendars and payroll system. The adminstrative assistant basically is the mole of the unit you know the nosey person; as you had to know where everyone was at all times in case of emergencies, payroll purposes, and for auditing reasons as well. As with any organization that is a huge as this one there are going to be employees you don't see eye to eye with; but learning how to work through situations for the common welfare of the organization is mandatory. For the most part co-workers tend to get a long and were friendly and helpful. Working for such type of organization requires self discipline and a can-do attitude. There's not much training for your job other than certifications so you must be a take charge type of person. I loved working for this organization as your family was included in festivities and family was valued highly.
Pros
family oriented, benefits
Cons
depending on status there's lack of security.
A structured work environment with nurses,providers and medics.
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYAugust 7, 2013
The staff members provide primary medical care services to
approximately 4,800 active duty soldiers.I work on a team 5 LPNs and a RN supervisor.On a typical work day I would begin by checking the daily schedule for all 7 providers, 2 doctors, 4 physician assistants and 1 nurse practitioner. Each provider has around 12 appointments a day. We have appointments for physicals, overweight screenings, chronic and acute care. The clinic has it's own lab, radiology, physical therapy, optometrist, ophthalmologist. So all of the diagnostic and lab tests can be done on site. I also work with Tricare military insurance to order specialty care referrals such as OB/GYN, dermatology and physical therapy. I assist with procedures performed in the clinic. There are 3 treatment rooms with 6 beds used for toenail removals, I & D for abscesses, Nexplanon insertion, IUD placement and mole removals. I administer medications via all routes and IV fluids. When needed I perform EKGs. The hardest part of the job is when we have patients with behavioral health issues. The suicide rate is higher than the number of deaths due to the war. But I enjoy being able to help them in any way I can.
Pros
quarterly morale booster days, it is a day when the clinic closes, all employees from all fields join together for team building activities, there is also a picnic
Cons
difficult at times to be a civilian working in a military atmosphere.
SPED School positions are understaffed and undersupported
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  DDESSJune 18, 2012
There is a lack of knowledge and understanding of how special education law applies to daily practice in the majority of SPED staff and administration. Training comes only from the Department of Defense, and is specific to teachers, SLPs, and psychologists. Decisions are not made locally, which leads to problems getting the specific equipment and supplies for SPED students, while having a lot of expensive, unnecessary equipment that goes unused. Overall, there is very poor leadership at the school and district levels, with little consistency throughout the system.

Special educators who come into the system are given poor training and support that is necessary to do their jobs. Speech Language Pathologists do not need to have their clinical competency certification or state licensensure to work in Department of Defense Schools! Occupational therapists and physical therapists have no caseload limits, no assistants, receive absolutely no job-relevant training, and have no guidelines for practice other than personal and professional ethics. Technology is deficient.

The salaries are great for advanced degrees. The students have a mixture of disabilities, providing a diverse, challenging caseload. The students and active duty families make going to work tolerable.
Pros
salary
Cons
lack of leadership, high demands, lack of equipment & supplies
What I wrote below is my review summary. If I need to write a one-liner one, than I say going to work every day was a joy for me. I learned a lot as I
Senior Foreign Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJanuary 9, 2014
My typical day at work was a professional but friendly working environment, conducive to hardworking with achievement oriented people.
A typical day at work also varied from place to place; I had worked in at least 4 different offices during the 17+ years.
I learned that education and hardworking pays off as it had for me.
However, there was one dilemma in "diversifying" as the management encouraged employees to do. Diversifying meant moving around, having different experiences in different jobs. The dilemma was that in each new place you had to establish yourself to be worthy of promotion, thus my promotion from GS 12 to 13 took 11+ years.
The hardest part of the job was after establishing yourself in a new position and location, coming to another job and reestablishing yourself and pleasing your management.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was having my military students and working along side of so many foreigners as teachers of their native languages. This offered opportunity for us to integrate in each other's culture and learn some language in the process!
Pros
being a federal government employee, we benefited from the federal holidays
Cons
so busy at work that sometime we did not have time to take a lunch break, much leass shorter breaks.
Challenging and Rewarding but not for everyone
Lead Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  US Africa CommandSeptember 6, 2013
I found the military to be a positive gateway for a bottom rung school boy who failed a grade to grow and excel. I took advantage of the opportunities the military offered to improve myself and gain education and experience to advance from the lowest possible grade to earn a commission and retire as a field grade officer. Through the military I earned two Associate Degrees, a BA and a Master's degree. The skills and education and abilities anyone can gain from the military can be readily translated into a lucrative civilian career. My current salary is $115,000/yr with a $24,000 annual bonus for working abroad and an additional $48,000/yr housing allowance giving me a $187,000/yr salary, not including my $40,000 a year military retirement. All of which was possible from the training and experience and education provided by the US military. To achieve this though you must be willing to follow orders, accept physical challenges such as rising early daily to conduct physical training and be willing to work long hours under sometimes harsh and dangerous conditions. If you are aggressive and pursue education you can easily advance and make yourself highly desirable to the civilian work force.
Pros
travel, adventure, training, education, experience, challenge
Cons
family separations, long hours, physically demanding and hazardous.
Energy Manager (Current Employee) –  San DiegoAugust 27, 2013
• Act as an energy program manager responsible for setting energy reduction, security, and renewable production goals. Oversee short term and long term efforts for realizing these goals.
• Develop multi-year energy program master plan and continuously track progress.
• Track annual utility budget and investigate variances.
• Perform life cycle cost analyses in order to minimize energy usage for new infrastructure and to analyze retrofit opportunities.
• Manage energy audits of various types of facilities (industrial, medical, administrative, laboratory) and utility systems (cogeneration plants, compressed air, natural gas, steam).
• Develop investment grade Energy Conservation Measures (HVAC, renewable energy systems, lighting, plumbing, retrocommissioning, etc) and pursue funding opportunities.
• Specify M&V criteria, review and approve M&V reports.
• Pursue energy projects using both financed and capital funds, based upon sound economics.
• Review proposed commodity rate structure, define commodity flows, and communicate to consumers.
• Worked with utility company to develop Demand Response program for security and economic gains.
• Review construction requirements (design build/design bid build), design submittals, negotiate bids, and provide construction oversight for various energy projects.
• Manage a team responsible for realizing energy program goals.
Work with a great team of people in a fast paced office
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 28, 2014
My workday is divided up by what work has to get done on the military pay side and what work has to get done on the vendor pay side. My primary focus is vendor pay as I am the SME and have been for four years. I deal with a lot of customer inquiries throughout the day whether it is via email or over the phone. I love my co-workers, but need to expand my horizons as I cannot keep this position past 03/16/2015 as I am getting out of the military. I have attended several conferences pertaining to GFEBS and several training courses pertaining to CAPS-W and Military Pay. There have been instances where I have brought my laptop home to finish work I couldn't get finished during the day or if I am going to be out of the office for an extended period of time. Our job is very demanding and we are possibly the busiest office in the building a we deal with new issues everyday. Time management is very important, but at times difficult when the workload is heavy and there are only a few of us in the office. I have trained people in vendor pay inside and outside of the office. I love what I do because I am very good at it and am always intrigued with learning new ways to conduct business.
Pros
health insurance, accrued sick and annual leave, retirement savings
Cons
fast paced working environment, issues with systems at times

4.3