Department of Defense

Department of Defense Employer Reviews

Great place to get your foot in the door
Command Pass Coordinator (Current Employee), Naval Station Great Lakes, ILApril 18, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: furlough
Department of Defense is a great place to get your foot in the door for a GS job. However, advancment is non existant.
Great Stepping Stone
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Fort Bragg, NCApril 17, 2014
I jumped at the chance when I heard about the job. I came in with a postive attitude and mastered the the skills needed to improve the work environment. I recieved great training and in return I trained around 7 people on various tasks. I learned an exstensive amount of office skills. Such as patience...
My job is physical, however I like working for the company
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Kaiserslautern, RPApril 16, 2014
Pros: weekends pay
Cons: no weekend off, and cutting hours all the time.
My job is very fast pace, physical and educational. I learned sales and how important it is to the company. Management is difficult because of the language barrier. My co-workers an I get's along great. The hardest part of the Job is when the weather changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is working independantly.
Productive and culturally diverse environment
Management Analyst (Resource Analyst) (Former Employee), Kaiserslautern, GermanyApril 16, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
While my time at DLA Disposition Services I was challenged to work on a daily basis with US and foreign personnel in and outside of the agency, which was an awarding experience. My co-workers were great; we were all very open with our communication, which made the working environment enjoyable and trustworthy. The most enjoyable part of the job was – more... know that what I am doing has an impact on our military men and women. – less
Building Experience
Assistant Operations Officer (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAApril 15, 2014
The United States Armed Forces is a different culture, being part of an organization that has strict rank and position structure using the chain of command. It is a demand of high values, professional traits, and personal development honing in on what kind of person you really want to become in the military. This career path will test you every day, – more... from peer to supervisor evaluations, and the overall intent is to become successful. I had humbling experiences training and traveling everywhere domestically and internationally. I have been in both roles as a leader and a follower. I have taught and instructed over a hundred or more civilian and military personnel. I have learned a lot in the military and enjoyed my time working for the United States Armed Forces. – less
Daily Do's and Dont's
Senior Technical Writer-Editor (Current Employee), Aberdeen Proving Ground, MDApril 13, 2014
Do take advantage of working amongst different organizations- the more you interact with different colleagues, the more you learn. Do learn how to multi-task. On a daily basis there are challenges such as juggling multiple projects. Work with your team members to accomplish this goal. Do act proactively in establishing management: by leading weekly – more... meetings between my government an industry counterparts, I have established my role as a dedicated hard worker early on which I am sure any of my colleagues would agree with in regards to my professionalism, hard work, and dedication. These skills can be used within any industry and I look forward to the opportunity. Don't ever take other co-workers "bad days" personally- I believe being a professional you leave the attitude at the door. Working with different personalities (good and bad) is just a part of any team- always act professional, assertive yet respectful, and look for the right opportunities to better future goals. My goal is to expand my career within the corporate communications sector to management position. – less
productive workplace with lots of resources you can take advantage of .
Industrial Equipment Mechanic, Pipefitter (Former Employee), China Lake, CAApril 13, 2014
good company to work for, challenging work and schedule but able to excel if you have the willingness to learn.
FUN PLACE
Printer Technician (Current Employee), Quantico, VAApril 13, 2014
The management is amazing.Very dependable job. Great place to work for. Always there to assit you. Always learing something new.
Intelligence Analysis
Senior Analyst (Current Employee), MarylandApril 12, 2014
Pros: good pay, vacation time, benefits
Cons: bad management, office politics
A typical day at work involves me writing products that are distributed and used by the United States Government, supervising subordinates, keeping abreast of the work metrics in my office and generally pitching in wherever I was needed.
DoD review
DoD military employee (Former Employee), VariousApril 12, 2014
the DoD is an amazing organization consisting of various branches of service.

The men and women serving in the DoD make tremendous sacrifices for their country and their service. They are the primary reason the US is the greatest country in the world.
Rewarding work
Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee), Camp Zama JapanApril 10, 2014
Pros: the ability to help people
Cons: long days
Able to work with a rewarding group of people.
Working with the Military is different than private company.
Productive work environment
Program Manager & Team Leadership (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDApril 9, 2014
Great experience managing large multi organization contracts.
enjoyable place to work with good benefits
WG-5 to WG-8 Electronics Worker (Former Employee), Keyport, WAApril 9, 2014
A typical day at work entailed testing/troubleshooting electronic components of torpedoes and effecting repairs as needed.

I learned a variety of methodology in troubleshooting electronics.

My co-workers were friendly and I enjoyed working with them.
Amazing
Library Technician (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 9, 2014
I love working for the Department of Defense. There are always new learning experiences each day at work.
Parttime employee
Office Assistant (Former Employee), United KingdomApril 7, 2014
Pros: every friday off as a part time employee
Cons: no benefits as a part time employee
Worked at a field site as a part time employee. Responsible for calendars, telephone, conference room and training for employees.
Great job security
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), El Paso, TXApril 6, 2014
This job was a good step in the door; however, no opportunity for advancement and very stressful.
usmc
Howitzer Section Chief (Former Employee), Camp Lejeune, NCApril 5, 2014
faced complex issues daily. easily overcame using skills and techniques taught.
Military work enviroment
Facility Operator (Former Employee), Eatontown, NJApril 4, 2014
Pros: excellent new prospective
Cons: resistance to change
A new and excellent experience working in the defense community
High visibility programs
Logistics Management Specialist (Current Employee), Warren, MIApril 3, 2014
Pros: healthcare, benefits and job security
Cons: male driven/dominated work environment
No day was the same. Able to work high visibility and high intensive managed programs and travel in and outside the country. The hardest part of the job was the "grey lines" where some policies were adhered to and other were not. The most enjoyable was creating presentations to brief Foreign national overseas on various program/project managment reviews.
DoD
Information Assurance / Firewall Engineer (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDApril 2, 2014
I have spent my life within the Government. Everyone has their opinions, but for the most part it has been good to me.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Photos