Department of Defense
1,204 reviews

Department of Defense Employer Reviews

Great place to work and serve your country
Branch Chief / Deputy Division Chief, HQ AFMC (Former Employee), Wright-Patterson AFB, OHFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great mission
Cons: being affected by politicians
I actually tried to rate management high but it wouldn't me. Great place to work supporting kids willing to do more for their country than most. Occasionally, we do get affected by politics. I feel sorry for the military leaders that deal with that on a regular basis.
The work/life balance is awesome.
Security Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: work flexibility
Cons: promotions
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people with cultural and educational diversity. Their ability to adapt and overcome civilian and military entities adjusting on the fly blending the elements makes the job much more easier.
Enjoyed 42 yrs of Federal Service
Chief, Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Officer (Former Employee), Fort Belvoir, VAFebruary 22, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my entire career was completing projects and seeing the smiles from the results accomplished.
workplace
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Current Employee), Fort Stewart, GAFebruary 21, 2015
Work closely with soldiers in providing Income tax Service for other service members to include retirees and some reservist. My job task included teaching a class of 40 Soldiers for four weeks on the standard procedures of personal income tax in accordance to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidelines and procedures. On a daily basis monitored Quality Reviewed Tax Returns along with providing one-on-one training when needed. In March 2015, I was selected to prepare General Blackburn tax return because of my skill level, proficient, and professionalism in the field by the OIC and Site Coordinator.
Typical Federal Employment
Senior Executive Service (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2015
Very inefficient
IT Systems very stove-piped
Many managers have skills not up to date.
About 5-10 years behind Fortune 50 companies
Executives are not incentives to do more with less.
Huge operations, many opportunities, governmental.....
Supervisory Accountant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: work life balance, sense of importance, benefits
Cons: organization size, lack of incentive structure
Job depends very much on organization worked.

The organization is huge, and it can be very tough working across Defense Agency or Military Department lanes. Each works like an independent organization/company, but all report to same DoD Leadership. Unfortunately, when decisions need to be made by these mutual leaders, it can be very challenging and political.

Leadership crosses the spectrum from great to terrible.
Exciting environment with many rewards
Quality Assurance Evaluator (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: career advancement
Cons: lazy co-workers
Defense Commissary Agency is a great federal agency to work for. Many rewards and providing a quality shopping experience to valuable customers.
Maintenance Supervisor
Instructor (Current Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 18, 2015
There wasn't any day that was typical. Everyday was different. Everybody had a job to complete so that the total mission was accomplished on time and efficiently. The most enjoyable was serving my country and traveling and learning different cultures.
Productive workplace
Store Worker (Former Employee), Jacksonville, NCFebruary 18, 2015
Morning meetings to keep us all on board with any upcoming events and what is going on within the company. Team work environment and they also provide great and flexible hours.
Productive, rewarding, fast paced place to work
Program Analyst (Current Employee), Joint Base Andrews, MDFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: gym time (w/ free gym access) worked into our work day (3 days a week)
This job changes from day-to-day based on the current events. We plan for contingency (i.e. Ebola outbreak, natural disasters, etc.), National Special Security Events that we support in DC and war time. We assist in assigning Air Force forces to support these types of events and do all the planning for event. If the event is on the base we work with all the units to prepare, support and return to normal operations. The leadership is amazing and my office works directly for the wing commander.
The Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) is a great organization to work for with outstanding training programs opportunities to grow professionally
Team Lead, Certification Program Office (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2015
The typical work day is complete with interesting challenges and opportunities to grow and apply cutting edge expertise. Employees develop leadership and management skills and capability. The most enjoyable aspect of DIA employment is engagement and collaboration with skilled coworkers and representives from diverse fields and organizations.
It is usually what you make it
Staff Operations and Training Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Richardson, AKFebruary 16, 2015
I worked in many areas within the D.O.D and worked with many great people. Most of the people I worked with were great at their job. My experience was that ones experience is usually based on what they make of the job.
Fast paced, good mobility
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2015
Like all jobs, the best part is the team that you work with. I was blessed with very intelligent, dedicated people and bosses.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with rotational assignments, some of which were better than others (and not entirely voluntary).
Work place
Auditor (Current Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 13, 2015
DCAA is a very good place to work. Management is very good and they make sure that we have all the tools needed to be very successful.
Good Company
Logistics Support /Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 12, 2015
I have nothing bad to say, this is one of the best organizations I have ever had the opportunity to add in the success of an employer and the people it serves.
Overall a good place to get started.
Purchasing Agent & Contracting Officer (Current Employee), Luke AFBFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: type of work
Cons: poor training and communication
A complete review of the position would not be appropriate due to the type of work.
Contracts
Purchasing
Procurement policy and procedure
good learning experience about cars
Store Associate (Former Employee), Caguas, PRFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: good experience
Cons: low pay
Good opportunity to learn about automatic transmissions and overall automotive skills like brakes, suspension, and electrical troubleshooting as well as welding.
Great Place to work
Enginner (Current Employee), Fort Lee, VAFebruary 6, 2015
Daily life in the Navy
United States Navy (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 5, 2015
Typical day consisted of PT in the morning followed by training and work. Located in Virginia Beach. On duty everyday of the week.
Agency Program Coordinator, (DTS) (Current Employee), Albany, GAFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: need more training opportunities
The organization does a great job supporting the warfighter on a daily basis to ensure they are provided with great customer service.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Photos