Department of Defense
1,245 reviews

Department of Defense Employer Reviews

Love my job
Admin Assistant (Current Employee), Apg, MdMarch 30, 2015
There are some good and some not as great things about working for the department of defense however all in all i love my job and it is great
Daily Work Load
Escort Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Bragg, NCMarch 28, 2015
I escort non-clearance personal throughout FORSCOM. Everyone in this building must have a clearance or be escorted. It require for me to stand up all day.
Operations Manager
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 26, 2015
A good place to develop leadership and management skills that challenges not only your process but also policy and personnel management skills.
Fast paced and worldwide with advancement options
Military Telecommunications Specialist (Current Employee), Point Mugu, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Medical, Dental, Sense of accomplishment
Cons: Separation from your family at times.
Everyday was a different experience. Comrade and team building skills were learned here. Flexibility and diversity were also learned in this environment. Downfall is being mobile and separated from your family at times.
Good Career Advancement
Interagency Planner (Current Employee), Suffolk, VAMarch 24, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel, but it also the hardest part of the job. The people who work here and very smart and enjoyable to be around. The management allows the staff to work independently.
Great for both short-term (5 years) or career (20+ years)
Current Operations Officer (Current Employee), Fort Belvoir, VAMarch 23, 2015
Not for everyone. Great way to get job skills and education, as long as you are willing to put forth the effort and commitment.
Asset Protection Officer
Asset Protection Officer (Former Employee), Linthicum, MDMarch 23, 2015
Was a good start at a large corporation. Gets your foot in the door and helps you gain a clearance. Swing shifts are not fun.
No comment
Administrative Management Specialist (Current Employee), District of ColumbiaMarch 21, 2015
DOD has many diverse positions available in many different locations. The pay scale is above average to me, therefore it makes people want to stay longer.
N/a
Limited Authority Contracting Officer (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDMarch 20, 2015
What I have learned
Compliance Investigator (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: Working at Home
Cons: High Caseload volume
I have learned in my current position that the majority of people are not honest. People that you would have never had thought would do anything fraudulent did. It is amazing what you discover when you are probed to dig for the answers.
Great career path, fun co workers
Contracting Officer/Team Leader (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALMarch 20, 2015
It was not a hard job. I worked 22 years for the Government and I earned my Supervisory position. I put in long hires, travel time, mentoring, etc. I love working with others
Great work life balance
Defense Contract Management Agency (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 20, 2015
Pros: telework, flex schedules
Cons: low pay, congress controlling cola, limited growth opportunities
Opportunities are slim to none unless you desire to move every 3 years. Work life balance is great, but that only makes up for the lack of increase in pay. Work is normal not many stressful days.
HR Specialist
Human Resources Recruiter/Team Lead (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
Pros: dod has good benefits and work/life balance, there are a lot of opportunities for career growth and change
Cons: leadership changes a lot, mission changes a lot, your role and responsibilities reflect these changes
HR is a thankless job. As a HR Specialist, I enjoy helping people. The DoD offers Flexible work schedules.Poor performing employees never get fired. Leadership moves them around and then they become another office problem which sucks for you if you're a hard worker and you have to pick up all the slack.
Great work environment and opportunity to serve our country
Business Analyst- Team Lead (DOD) (Former Employee), North Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2015
Pros: pay is wonderful
Cons: lots of projects do not see the light of day, many changes
Working in a team environment to support HQUSMEPCOM military enlistment for all of our branches of the military. A high level of SME's to work with specialties in the IT arena. No weekend work with great pay.
Busy workday but a productive fun day
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
Cons: far away from eateries
My typical day at work is usually pretty normal and typical. I work with Military Personnel concerning about pay and personnel issues. Customer service is a big deal here at the Detachment as we make certain that all walks of life from and E-1 to an Admiral leaves from our Detachment with a goal they needed to meet prior to coming and leaving from the Detachment.
Enjoyable places that I have worked. I chose to move on from the Prison to work for the Government.
Military Technician & Safety Officer (Former Employee), Topeka, KSMarch 16, 2015
Pros: holidays / weekends off, health / retirement benefits, respect of working for the department of defense.
Cons: government cut back, small break room at amsa, working with some people that put their friends in front of you, mainly in the army.
A day at AMSA 39 was usually a very nice environment with enjoyable people to work with. I enjoyed working there very much. I really enjoyed knowing that we could make a difference in the quality of equipment & vehicles that our Soldiers use in their daily activities & that after we returned it, it would be in a much safer operating condition.
The Army reserves was really my favorite. I had a very memorable career, which included a lot of travel & learning experiences. I made many lifetime friends & became who I am from all my training & adventures in the Army.
The Prison was also very enjoyable. I miss the work environment & daily scope of duties. I believe that I was able to contribute a lot to corrections while I was there. I just decided to pursue a career with the government.
Well Structured work environment
Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Yongsan, South KoreaMarch 16, 2015
Pros: free lunches. lots of down time. free housing. lots of benefits. excellent healthcare
Cons: prolonged time away from family. possibility of going to war.
Learned various different skills and practiced them on the go. Co workers were enthusiastic about the job and added to the overall morale of the unit. The hardest part of the job Multitasking various tasks at the same time. The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling of accomplishment after a job well done.
Challenging and exciting development
Second Lieutenent, Intelligence Officer (Current Employee), Chicopee, MAMarch 16, 2015
Primarily responsible for the analysis, processing and distribution of strategic and tactical
intelligence, providing Army personnel with information about enemy forces and potential battle
areas, command and coordinate the military intelligence Soldiers and combined armed forces,
assess risks associated with friendly/enemy courses of action and act to counter/neutralize
intelligence threats, use intelligence systems and data to reduce uncertainty for a commander.
Rewarding and Challenging
Casualty Specialist (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great health care benefits
Cons: long commute
Making phone calls, and updating the database with current reports and information. Meeting and assisting family members who still have questions regarding their loved ones that are still unaccounted for
Poor managment
Clinic RN (Former Employee), Patrick Air Force Base , Fl.March 13, 2015
The Department of Defense forded me the opportunity for advancement in my practice, yet, management was underqualified to lead, did not support advancement in education or productivity in clinic.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Photos