Department of Defense
1,169 reviews

Department of Defense Employer Reviews

Communication Marine
RF/Network Administrator (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: experience and knowledge
Cons: lots of travel
A typical day at work is made up of gear accountability, preventative maintenance, and learning new equipment. I came into the USMC as a Radio Operator, however my job here required me to learn a wide variety of satellite equipment as well as data and networking in order to support our mission.
Fun and demanding workplace.
Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee), Barksdale AFB, LAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: 30 days paid vacation annually
Cons: salary(not paid for ot)
Great company to work for. Never a dull moment, working with the best of the best. Very prideful environment.
Medical support assistant (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 26, 2015
Performs a variety of human resource support activities for assigned organizations. Receives, reviews, and processes personnel actions including processing arriving/departing personnel. Actions may include retirement applications and permanent changes of station; requisitions, assignments, deferments, and separations. Initiates or reviews documents for payments including requests for uniform allowances, retroactive pay, and pay adjustments due to promotion or increased longevity or for performance of training. Examines information contained in applications, statements of service, correspondence. Performs advancement and educational support activities and administers training requests.
Good oppurtunity for self improvement.
Visual Information Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: benefits and travel
Cons: culture of the military.
The military is a good place to learn and grow professionally.
You will learn time management and uniform appearance.
The benefits are excellent; healthcare and housing are provided for free and their are numerous retirement plan options.

The hardest part of the job is to ready for an unforeseen work schedule.
Government Job
Contract Negotiator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Work on high dollar projects. Laid back environment. Work hard. Play hard.
Very busy industry
Police Officer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day is patroling the base checking ID's at the main gate, and responding to calls for service.
My goals are to ensure all work performed is acceptable
Tech Lead Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: dcma is a great place to work and coordinate all specifed work
Cons: this is where all co-workers work ensure contractors accomplish the works
I have worked for the Department of Defense for 43 years. I enjoyed my job and the opportunity to use my unique skills and experiences. I enjoyed my time with my co-workers and management levels. I made a total of 12 moves by choice in this way I gained more Quality Certifications to enhance my capabilities. I also completed a one year tour of Iraq as requested. I have a volume of skills and knowledge of the use of the Microsoft programs, issuance of CARs, proper documentation of all audits/inspections performed both manually and electronically. I have worked on the following programs: B1B- C5A, C-130, A-10, F-14, and I have worked on various NASA programs for over fourteen (14) years. I am very adaptable for working on all types of contracts, working within our agency (DCMA) and interwork with other agencies. I work as a team player to ensure our services complete the requirements of the contracts and other related documents including military specifications. I look forward to coming back to work for our agency (DCMA).
Excellent Place of Work
Distribution Facility Specialsit (Former Employee), New Cumberland, PAJanuary 22, 2015
The Department of Defense is an excellent place to work. Excellent advancement, promotions, bonuses and health care. The working atmosphere is excellent with outstanding upper management. This company is an ideal place for all employees and diverse background.
Great place to grow your leadership abilities
Automated Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Carson, COJanuary 21, 2015
had a chance to meet new people everyday, and grow as an individual.
Rewarding career in serving our active duty military.
dental asst/treatment-patient coordinator (Former Employee), Patuxent River, MDJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: job satisfaction and health benefits
Treating military personal for their medical and dental needs.
Great co-workers in the USA, and great customers in foreign countries.
3-D Design Specialist (Former Employee), Texarkana, TXJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: the personal thank you from active soldiers for saving lives with the special armor.
Cons: combining the long air flights from texas to iraq (40 hours), to the long hours of overtime in country installing armor was the most difficult time with the army.
The Department of the Army was a good place to create a career. The operation was a secure investment in my time, and they fulfilled their promise to maintain my career throughout the downsizing process.

The most fulfilling period of time I spent with the Army Civilian Service was my deployment into Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom where I provided hands on training to my soldiers for installing protective armor to their vehicles.

My retirement from Army Civilian Service is the basis for my ability to provide the highest quality photographic and 3-D products to your business at a reasonable cost.
Production, Production and a feeling of accomplishment to see the finish product
Customer Service Representative/Voucher Examiner (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: the location of the lunch room was close to the job
Cons: they put the smokers outside, which is not a bad thing
You start off by checking your Outlook email then you precede to gather your work to get you started for the day. You take inbound calls from soldiers for travel and gather their information so you can enter the information on a travel voucher so the soldier can get paid. Enter data from government bill of lading so soldiers can move their freight. Call vendors for the appropriation so the soldier shipment would be paid for. Filed forms away, sometime make out bound calls to soldiers if you do not have enough information to complete the travel voucher. Co-workers share stories how efficient they were with the soldiers travel vouchers. The hardest part of the job is when you can not deliver your promise when the solider is suppose to be paid. The most enjoyable part is when a soldier calls you and says thank you. That let's me know I have done my job.
Tight group of people.
Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee), Waterloo, IAJanuary 17, 2015
Working for the government has been fun and stable. A typical workday involves maintenance, counting inventory and working with fellow soldiers. The higher ups are great leaders, have open lines of communication and work alongside us.
great government job
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee), united kingdomJanuary 16, 2015
good pay, great hours, lots of work, plenty of room for advancement. the ability to take time off any time you want is a bonus. Hard to get employed, but once your in the system it will be easier to move to a different job
Overall Good
Counterintelligence Strategic Program Manager (Former Employee), Crystal City VirginiaJanuary 14, 2015
Responsible for planning and managing the Counterintelligence (CI) professional training strategy taskers for the Department of Defense Counterintelligence Field Activity (CIFA) Training & Development Division. Assess developments and makes adjustments based on expertise, and collaborates with other intelligence offices by representing the CI TSP Division in functional level working groups. Conducts systematic research in the division to develop new methods and processes to lead the DoD CI community in joint development of strategic plans and investment strategies for CI training.
Awesome work experience
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Annville, PAJanuary 13, 2015
Awesome workplace. Would have never left if my husband didn't accept a job offer out of state. Great people to work with and great experience as well. This is where I got most of my experience as a human resources assistant. Great benefits and paid vacation as well.
Warehouse
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: great pay/ benefits, physical work, great team
Cons: awkward hours, government shut downs
My normal job duties included of formulating schedules for my team, lifting boxes, sorting items, using inventory processes, logging in new merchandise, customer service, invoicing, ordering, and general warehouse work.
Great professional work experience
Integrated Avionics Specialist (Current Employee), Homestead, FLJanuary 12, 2015
As an avionics maintainer in the military, i see things people in the civilian size don't usually see. Which requires more responsibility than the ordinary worker. We are required to maintain a professional workplace at all times.
Opportunity for career advancement.
Computer Assisted Ordering Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Lee, VAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: opportunity for advancement
Cons: aggressive management
I enjoyed working for this company. Although the management was too aggressive at times. The mission was still accomplished and I learned a new information process system.
Bowling at lunch time just to relax.
PAYROLL TECHNICIAN/CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Fort McPherson, GaJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: free monthly marta pass to and from work.
Enjoyed working and talking with different people inbound and outbound. What I enjoyed most was helping and resolving people payroll issues. I am a good team leader, fast learner and adapt easily with all diverse of people.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Photos