Department of Defense

1.4K reviews

Department of Defense Employee Reviews

Good job security and nice benefit
Computer Scientist (Former Employee), NJAugust 30, 2015
Nice work place with good job security and beneift. Work is not too stressful compare to private sector. Pay is decent. But if you want a fast pace environment this is not your place.
Good work place with some errors
Police Officer (Instructor) (Federal position) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Good place to work.
Cons: Slow promotions
To be professional in writing this small review. I am ONLY suggesting that Management in my organization needs fine tuning. Because 'Leadership' starts from the top.

Otherwise, good job!
DOD
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Milford, MAAugust 28, 2015
Pros: The job itself.
Cons: None
It was the best job I ever had. It kept me in a surrounding were everyone was trying to accoplish a mission. We kept soldiers as safe as possible, while making sure their families had the right information. Everyday was a great experience and you never hated getting up and going in.
Great position not used to full potential
WTB, Physical Therapy Assistant (Current Employee), Fort Lewis, WAAugust 28, 2015
This position was excellent for providing support and coaching for soldiers, but has no potential for advancement or management opportunities.
What I learned duirng my career
Performance Improvement Officer, (Former Employee), Wpafb, OHAugust 27, 2015
In all jobs it was important to maintain positive attitude, good work ethic and professional standard of conduct. It was important to set the example and to hold fellow employees and superiors to the same standard.
Great organization to work for
General Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2015
Flexible and diverse work environment. A lot of options in terms of work schedule. Where you can accommodate a good balance in your work environment and personal schedule.
Great life skills and good experience.
Communications and Electronics Technician (Former Employee), Lansing, MIAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Professional advancement, education paid for, and the best medical package out there.
Cons: Work some weekends.
Active duty military in the Army National Guard has been a great experience with huge amounts of opportunity to grow as a Soldier and a leader. Educational benefits are priority with the National Guard and the medical package is second to none. The environment can be political, especially noticeable in the higher rank, but that comes with the business of being in a great military institution.

If you are willing to give 100%, you have the ability to grow and develop professionally and educationally. Opportunities abound and I recommend the military to everyone who can join.
Department of Defense
Government Information Specialist (Current Employee), Barksdale AFB LAAugust 26, 2015
Good working environment. Learn about different cultures. Great opportunity for growth. Benefits are good. Co-workers are friendly and easy to talk to.
Challenging assignments
Organization Master Trainer (Current Employee), Fort Lewis, Fort Casron & Fort HoodAugust 26, 2015
Definitely a challenging assignment that has made who I am. Given me a wealth of real world knowledge and I wouldn't change any minute my experiences while I was there.
Nice place to start a civilian career
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee), Fort McPherson, GAAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Job duties were very well defined
Cons: Job duties were very well defined
Worked in the Tech Control in the basement of the then FORSCOM Headquarters. Good people & management mostly left us alone.
what you learned
Test Engineer (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 24, 2015
Developed and maintained QTP test scripts along with updating test input data to support Regression testing whenever a Change Request was approved.

By working closely with the Test manager and Lead to perform installation and configuration of Quality Center and created user, developed user groups access controlling and filtering.
Progress
Packer Specialist (Current Employee), New Cumberland, PAAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Financila gain, Advancement in Careers, and ETC
Cons: politics
Its an excellent place to start of in a career field far as management, business, and accounting. What I love most about this job I know I am serving a purpose for the war fighter's that is over seas supporting the country to know I am working for them is great for me. Knowing that you can progress with this company is a plus far going to college, taking training classes to advance higher jobs, and building yourself as a better employee.
Great Part-time job
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee), Fort Jackson, SCAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule, Easy Job
Cons: Favoritism, Poor Vehicle Maintenance
It's a pretty decent job for a transplanted northerner living in the southland. Federal guidelines trump the southland's, 'easy fired, work till you drop for peanuts,' method of operation. I like working for the Federal government, serving the Army in transportation. I was once a soldier myself, albeit in the Air Force.

If it weren't for the favoritism shown by the immediate supervisor to his 'chosen few,' and poor maintenance from slothful southern contractors on the buses, this would be an excellent place to work.
It's a unique plea to work
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee), oceanside, Ca.August 21, 2015
Pros: military
Cons: contract position
being retired it's great to serve my country again with America's finest fighting machines. Great environment and lots of laughs. I wish I could have stayed longer.
Exciting, challenging and rewarding.
Flight Guidance and Controls Specialist (Current Employee), March ARB, CAAugust 20, 2015
A great place to work with a lot of opportunity to excel. A great opportunity to travel around the world and work alongside an awesome group of technicians who greatly enhance the experience.
Productivity and good work ethics
Environmental Quality Protection (Former Employee), South CarolinaAugust 19, 2015
A great place to work with a diverse group of people from all walks of life. The military teaches and educate its members with the skills thay need to be successful in the military and in the civilian world. Military members are well equip and armed with the educational ammunition and tools to manage any job task and skill set required to complete job descriptions by organizations who may hire military personnel.
Productive workplace
Procurement Contracting Officer (Current Employee), Luke AFB, AZAugust 19, 2015
Training and environment is conducive for advancement of knowledge. I've become an expert leader, negotiator and productive team member. Timelines are hard during end of fiscal year but it makes the job challenging and fun.
DoD
Airfield Operations/ Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2015
I always had something to do at work, I was always busy. My leadership made my goals clear and obtainable. The best part was managing a team of unique individuals.
Productive with enjoyable work environment
Executive Office Assistance (Secretary) (Former Employee), Department of DefenseAugust 18, 2015
My typical day at work was from 07:30 - 16:30, my morning was consist of checking emails, reviewing events, meetings and travels of the day. If there's anything going on, I will either prioritize them and write them down on the list. I will briefly go over the scheduled meetings with the supervisor and inform him if there's any changes through out the day.
Because I was working at the headquarters, I've learned the different style of leadership and how to approach issues on daily basis.
I had an awesome supervisor who continually encourages his subordinates and praise their hard work. Co-workers could have been difficult for some when the changes were approached to them but I was able to build the relationship with them to where I was able to talk to them with my issues and concerns.
Great Company to work for
Packaging Specialist (Current Employee), Camp Pendleton, CAAugust 17, 2015
Great Benefits and retirement plans. Love the set schedule and the ability to advance through ranks. Great pay and federal holidays off.