Department of Defense
1,163 reviews

Department of Defense Employer Reviews

Fun to work with the military
Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee), Reston, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: freelance
Cons: contract ending
Meet with military personal and train them. Play different rolls to help military personal acclimate to what they will be facing.
Sense of Duty
Technical Lead (Current Employee), Fort George G Meade, MDDecember 12, 2014
I enjoy serving the Warfighter and knowing that my efforts make a difference.
Department of Defense Police (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 11, 2014
Pros: great friendships
Cons: irregular shifts
My day consisted of going to guard mount in the morning and never knowing what situation I will be facing on that particular day. It was a confidence booster and I was able to help people rather than council them.
Productive and analytically challanging
Senior Auditor Team Lead (Current Employee), Austin, TXDecember 11, 2014
Review reports, manage audits and correspond with providers daily.
hard and strict work
non medical assistant (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 9, 2014
Pros: helping others
Cons: 24/7
This was a 24/7 job, i would live with the patient hand help them around the clock. I would cook, clean and give the patient their medication. I would then proceed to change all bandages and clean wounds after bathing patient. then i would assist with physical therapy. I would take patient to all appointments and schedule new ones. I then would make sure all bills were paid, house was clean and shopping was done. I learned a lot about patient care, medical care, time management and financial duties. The hardest part was seeing the patient in so much pain everyday. The most enjoyable part was seeing them get better everyday.
DISA
Office Manager (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: telework options
Cons: inexperience management
This agency is a face paced agency that requires attention to detail and flexibility.
Review
Supply Technician (Current Employee), Fort Belvoir, VADecember 6, 2014
This is a great company to work for and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for employment with their company. THere is great team cohesion.
Generally upbeat, always striving to improve
LPN Office Nurse (Current Employee), Fort Drum, NYDecember 5, 2014
Pros: monday through friday, holidays off
Cons: can be extremely busy at times
Arrive at 0800, attend AM meetings daily, focus on pt care, continuing education and inservice opportunities, advancement possible, friendly, energentic, highly skilled co-workers, always willing to lend a hand, the hardest part of the job is not always being able to do exactly what pt wants and make them happy, most enjoyable part is knowing you did a good job and the pt is happy and appreciative
Good
Cyber Operations (Current Employee), Fort Meade, MDDecember 5, 2014
Good place to work. DISA, a combat support agency, provides, operates, and assures command and control, information sharing capabilities, and a globally accessible enterprise information infrastructure in direct support to joint warfighters, national level leaders, and other mission and coalition partners across the full spectrum of operations
Not your usual 9-5
Human Resources Technician (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules, benefits
Cons: traffic, old building
As a former Marine, I enjoy working side by side with military personnel. However, the mixture of military and civilian employees is not always perfect. Most supervisors are military personnel who have recently served overseas and not yet adjusted to life in the USA again. By the time they do get adjusted and are fully trained they are shipped off to their next duty station and a new person is sent in.

I work here because I already receive a pension and can handle the low paying salary, The reward of working with future servicemen and woman is the best part of the job.
An unforgettable experience
Security Forces Journeyman (Former Employee), All around the WorldDecember 4, 2014
Pros: 30 days off a year, gi bill, travel
Cons: long hours, no freedom, poor leadership
I'm not going to go into great detail about what it was like to be in the military because words can't do it justice. Just know that there were many good people, but the culture of my career field was poor and the leadership was a reflection of that.
Great place to learn many skills
Human Resources Sergeant/First Line Supervisor (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 4, 2014
It's a great place to work for to obtain many skills and trades.
Wonderful place to work.
Procurement Officer (Current Employee), Redstone Arsenal, ALDecember 4, 2014
Pros: great people and management
Cons: often short suspenses
I work with truly talented individuals that are very competent and make everyone feel that they are not just part of the team, but like family. Management is very good. They treat the employees as professionals and do not micromanage. The most difficult part of this job as with all contracting jobs is trying to meet customer's short deadlines for contract award. The most enjoyable part of my job is just working with these fantastic people.
Rewarding Work
Senior Budget Analyst and Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, CODecember 4, 2014
Pros: pay; people
Fast paced; learned to strategize and prioritize; challenging work with decreasing budget and increasing requirements.
Easy work
Yardmaster, Certified Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Fort Riley, KSDecember 4, 2014
Pros: easy work.
Very relaxed work environment, most weekends off with paid holidays and vacation. Benefits are comparable to the civilian work force.
Working with our military was a wonderful contribution to our society.
Contractor for MHNGS (Former Employee), Washington DCDecember 3, 2014
Pros: helping the military and their families adjust to the lifestyle.
Cons: we were only allowed to work a site for 6 months.
I learned a great deal about myself in this role. Working with the military made me even more proud to be an American. The contracts were 6 months and then I was transfered.
good mission
Equal Opportunity (EO) Specialist (Former Employee), ft. belvoir, vaDecember 2, 2014
enjoyed the people and the mission. picked up good skills and contacts. Global appeal.
Secure job, but no balance
Industrial Security Specialist/ Representative (Former Employee), Seattle, WADecember 2, 2014
This job was with the DoD (DSS); it offered many new experiences but it did not have any work life balance to it.
The job required over 40 hours a week (for only 40 hours of compensation) and lots of last minute travel (about 75%).
Loved working with our Soldiers!
Management Assistant Resource Management Division (Former Employee), MWRDecember 1, 2014
Pros: our soldiers!
Cons: dishonest management
A typical day for me was assisting Soldiers with Unit funds, managing employee files, pulling reports, and assisting Soldiers who are Out-processing.

Hardest part of the job was politics within the office.

Giving back to the Soldiers was a good feeling. I loved working with them all, going the extra mile where others refused to go.
DOD
Information Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Washinton DCNovember 30, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: work hours and pay
A typical work day in the United States Navy is very high pace and busy. The location changes every couple of years. I was able gain a lot of experience by working in an operational environment. I learned how to work as a team with my co-workers to accomplish goals and complete missions. I also learned valuable leadership skills and how to manage time so I could get the most out of a work day.

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Photos