Department of Defense Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,581 reviews matching the search
Aircraft Survival and Flight Equipment Repair
Aircraft Survival and Flight Equipment Repairer. (Current Employee) –  Robins AFB, GANovember 5, 2015
I come and check the flying schedule and make sure that all the equipment is good on the airplane. I deal with Oxygen Equipment and Life Preserver Units. I am a qualified Quality Control Inspector for shop equipment, tools, radio testers and chemical warfare equipment. I am qualified to teach water survival and chemical survival classes for the Air Force. A part of my job is would be like working for FEMA on a much larger scale. We can be called on for disasters in the United States or Overseas.
Pros
I have a good Federal Job, with great benefits.
Cons
I work one weekend a month.
Nice Place to Work
Project Manager / Integration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2016
Great place to work - but as a contractor it's very hard to advance. A normal day consists of being directed and not being placed into a position of making decisions.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lack of Advancement for Contractors
Enjoyed serving my country.
Armed Service Member (Former Employee) –  Stuttgart, GEMarch 30, 2016
Serving my country was a great experience for me. I learned the meaning of purpose behind my work and how to provide superb service.
Pros
Community, brotherhood, benefits, purpose
Cons
Long hours, difficult on family
DoD has it's privileges
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2015
Since starting my career in the federal government back in 1985, I've worked for various agencies.

The DoD has structure, stability however, due to budget restraints the ability to advance is difficult.

I want to work an agency/organization that acknowledges its staff on their productivity, experience and accomplishments. I want to support leaders that are engaged with their staff.

Working for DoD has equipped with skills to work at any agency. I've gained knowledge from my colleagues that will be an asset.

I think the hardest part the job is learning all of the different acronyms . The most enjoyable part to me is seeing how your work helps to accomplish the mission.
Productive workplace
Transec/EKMS Manager (Former Employee) –  Point Mugu CaFebruary 10, 2016
Fast paced productive work environment. Not much advancement within the company. Overall great place to work. Many skill based course were offered either in school or on line.
Pros
Benefits, breaks and lunches
Cons
Hours, recall and duty hours
Great workplace to network.
Tier II Technical support (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
Work is great. Constantly moving and learning! I also meet a lot of new and important people every day! I'm constantly being challenged; forced to think on my feet. It's a great overall experience.
Cost auditing
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2016
Basically it is cost/contracting auditing. Documentation documentation documentation and endless mgmt. reviews. The job is not hard and flexible hours, just very tedious and if you don't mind document everything and follow mgmt. suggestion, you'll fit right in.
Productive and Fun work place
Finance Data Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 29, 2016
Very good opportunities. Great team. Relaxed work environment.
Competetive pay. Lot of opportunities to enhance skills and work on different projects.
Pros
Healthcare, 401k
Cons
na
Great People
Military Musician (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCMay 19, 2016
Military service is wonderful and truly life changing for the right individual. The only downside is pay is not compensatory to work but benefits are awesome.
Pros
Comradery, Benefits
Cons
Tough conditions, low pay
Department of Defense
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILJanuary 23, 2016
This is a sedative position which you start and end your day in the dark. If you need to be mobile do not apply for a job. Your direct supervisor will work with you regarding scheduling conflicts and work load.
Pros
Government Job
Cons
No paid lunch

Want to know more about Department of Defense?

Ask a question
Military Trained
Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAApril 15, 2016
The military trained to be an mechanic. Inspect equipment for problems and repair them. Evaluate workplace environment and equipment. Transport equipment to units acoross the south.
Great Support from Customer and Vendors
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDFebruary 4, 2016
Always ready to help, environment was clean and organized. Switch rooms all labeled and neat, easy to work around and troubleshoot.
Pros
The equiptment available
Cons
Always on the road driving in Washington DC.
productive and a fun place to work
black hawk mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ronkonkoma, NY 11779April 14, 2016
productive and a great hands on learning environment ,great team to learn from for the junior mechanics and great place to further the craft
Pros
you were your on boss
Cons
military uniform
Productive employment
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hanscom AFB, MANovember 10, 2015
Excellent career and great place to work. Working with the military has been a great opportunity.

One of the most difficult parts of the job was reminding co-workersto always read the and understand the contract prior to making decisions. (What does the contract say>)
Pros
opportunities for advancement available
Cons
no issues to complain about
Envirnonment of Constant Change
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSApril 8, 2016
This is an environment of constant change and requires adaptability. Lots of opportunity for continuing education. Job security a plus.
benefits
Cons
high volume work load
terrible place to work
Distribution Process Worker (Current Employee) –  New Cumberland Army Depot, PAMarch 8, 2016
if you like inconsistency, preferential treatment and not being recognized for anything you do while lazy people get promoted then yes this is the job for you
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything else
Soldier vs. Civilian
Electronic Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 16, 2015
My typical day involves so much respect for others.
I have to be willing to step out of the box when time constraints and deadlines are priority.
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think my job now would be the same job I did in the military.
Aside from the deployments, field exercises, etc, I'd go back to do it all again.
I do love being home every night, but I do not like the disrespect I witness from grown adults to other grown adults.
People had told me the civilian sector was a cut throat entity; I have learned first hand, being smart, educated and skilled really doesn't matter, if you don't know the right people.
if you are in the military and can stay...Do IT!
Outstanding
United States Marine (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 1, 2016
weapons skills training team building excersizes
Lived in various states
Network connections
Travel was my favorite part of the job
Best thing I could of done was give back to my country
Pros
Travel
Cons
Chain of command changes
Enjoyable and great place to work
C17 Globemaster III Air Reserve Technician (Current Employee) –  McGuire AFB, NJOctober 14, 2015
I've been working for the Department of Defense for 9 years now and it is the best decision that I have made with my life. The day I joined the military changed my life forever and now I work not only as a part time reservist but also as a full time civilian for the DOD. Its got allot of benefits financially, medically but most importantly the traveling benefits. You can literally go anywhere in the world and get paid to do it. Its great, hope to continue it for years to come.
Challenging
Senior Enlisted Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasOctober 13, 2015
My roll at TRICARE was the Senior Enlisted Advisor and I was tasked with assisting the Director in the supervision of a multi million dollar contract throughout Latin America. While at this job I also functioned as a liaison between service members and the Director. I traveled extensively and assisted in the town hall meetings to explain and provide clarification on the contract to the consumers. It was very rewarding and I worked with a team that was truly a dedicated team of professionals.
Pros
Flexible working enviornment
Cons
Spanish should be a requirement

4.3