Department of Defense
1,205 reviews

Department of Defense Employer Reviews

US Navy
Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee), Edwards AFB, CADecember 29, 2014
Pros: medical, dental and job security
Cons: to many deployments
I was work center supervisor and responsible for supervising up to 100 personnel on a daily bases. I was able to develop my leadership and managerial skills through the military.
SPECIAL OPERATIONS
RANGER (Former Employee), SAVANNAH GA/ AFGHANISTANDecember 28, 2014
Pros: work
Cons: time away from family
GREAT WORK TARGETING MEMBERS OF THE HAQANI NETWORK. LONG HOURS BUT GREAT WORK AND GREAT TEAM. ORK WITH FOREIGN NATIONALS WITH SHARED GOALS.
fantastic opportunity
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 28, 2014
Department of Defense has a great support staff and co workers. Outstanding corporate ideology. Enjoy helping buyers and sellers with a significant decision.
Customer interactions
Analyst / Team Lead / Customer Service (Former Employee), Fort Gordon, GADecember 27, 2014
Pros: government pay, benefits
The most enjoyable part of this job was the customer interactions on a daily basis. Helping the customers with missions from both stateside and overseas with immediate results was an amazing feeling of customer satisfaction.
good production
Material Handler (Former Employee), Killeen, TXDecember 25, 2014
Pros: good experience
Cons: no cons
good jobs at the hospial keeping clean linen on the floors at ft hood tx helpying soldiers
Good patient care experience
Adult Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Tacoma, WADecember 24, 2014
It is good patient care experience working with a diverse patient population in the US military. I gained a lot of experience with prescriptive practices. I worked with a knowledgeable group of peers, but too much office politics.
military
Quartermaster and Chemical Equipment Repairer (Former Employee), Fort Stewart, GADecember 22, 2014
Trouble shoot vehicles, replace parts, service vehicles,
Good environment to grow professionally
Finance Lead Defense Travel Administrator (Former Employee), El Segundo, CADecember 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: budget cuts leading to lay offs
A typical day at the Air Force included helping returning deployed members file their vouchers online in order to be reimbursed for money spent while they were stationed abroad. I also ran reports and conducted audits to make sure that we were in compliance with the Air Force Guidelines. I learned a lot about responsibility, time management, customer service, leadership, etc. My supervisor was very helpful and gave me feedback on what I was doing well and what needed to be improved. My coworkers were great people as well. They helped train me effectively and were available to answer questions and help me when I was learning how to use the computer system. The hardest part of the job was balancing work with school at time but it turned out to be very rewarding because the Air Force payed the tuition for my Masters' Degree. The most enjoyable part of the job was the family oriented environment and "no one gets left behind" mentality that the Air Force has.
Great place
Customer Account Manager (Former Employee), Arlington, VADecember 22, 2014
Loved working here, always fast paced and co-workers were great.
great learning
Linguist/Translator (Former Employee), Fort Irwin, CADecember 22, 2014
Hotel business – customer service- service in food and beverage. great time and best co- workers in Ihg business.
best people from the different countries. learned too many cultural and traditions. I learned so many concepts of to conduct a successful business .
Working with Department Of Defense was great. Meeting all walks of life of peoples was great.
Food Server Worker (Former Employee), Washington, STDecember 19, 2014
My typical day was bring very busy. How to work with the Military. We had a great management team. My coworker was very hard worker and we work together. Working when we didn't have enough people on shift. When i help out in Nutrition Care Division assisting in making trays for the patients and delivering them to the patients.
Fast paced, kept me on my feet. Overall enjoyable experience.
Bagger (Former Employee), Andersen Air Force Base, GUDecember 18, 2014
I loved the environment of serving customers to the best of my ability and multitasking.
Productive and Fun working with in the Grocery Food Stores
Lead Store Associate (Former Employee), Fort Sill, OKDecember 17, 2014
Pros: working with customers
Cons: dealing with the managment.
A typical day at work was me watching over the contractors and government employees. I learned a lot working for DoD how to merchandise, set up displays, doing inventory and, Control Balances. Management asked for a lot working here and was not willing to work with employees. the hardest part of this job was working with management. I did enjoy working with co-workers and customers. when you help a customer and they leave happy its fells like a great accomplishment.
Great Job poor management
Fire Lieutenant (Former Employee), Fort Polk, LADecember 17, 2014
Pros: great job, pay, benefits, retirement
Cons: bad management, promotion only by certification not experience
Great job, family atmosphere with the right management. Problem with the DOD is management is promoted by sitting in front of a computer and getting the right certifications not experience so terrible managers is out there with no experience. i.e. fire chief
Great Place to Work
Senior Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 16, 2014
Worked for the Department of Defense for the last 11 years and worked in a variety of assignments and have learned a great deal. The people and mission is what make the DoD an enjoyable place to work.
DoD
Political/Military Analyst (Current Employee), TampaDecember 16, 2014
DoD is a great place to work but do not be mistaken, you are working in one of the largest bureaucracies in the world.
Fun to work with the military
Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee), Reston, VADecember 12, 2014
Pros: freelance
Cons: contract ending
Meet with military personal and train them. Play different rolls to help military personal acclimate to what they will be facing.
Sense of Duty
Technical Lead (Current Employee), Fort George G Meade, MDDecember 12, 2014
I enjoy serving the Warfighter and knowing that my efforts make a difference.
Department of Defense Police (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 11, 2014
Pros: great friendships
Cons: irregular shifts
My day consisted of going to guard mount in the morning and never knowing what situation I will be facing on that particular day. It was a confidence booster and I was able to help people rather than council them.
Productive and analytically challanging
Senior Auditor Team Lead (Current Employee), Austin, TXDecember 11, 2014
Review reports, manage audits and correspond with providers daily.

About Department of Defense

The Department of Defense, for one, has made considerable progress since receiving its barely passing grade. MITRE, a Massachusetts-based – Read more

Department of Defense Photos