Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews

Government Assistance
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 18, 2017
Very busy working with angry clients . I learned to set my personal opinion aside , management needs additional training on people skills . Culture at DES is chaotic. The hardest part of the job is denying family benefits with children . Approving families in need of assistance
Program service evaluator (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJuly 6, 2017
Its a great starter job where you can advance to grow , job is basically working with the community helping them to seek additional
support in medical, snap or tanf benefits
Pros
10 holidays pay time off
Cons
lots of work load
Stressful
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 28, 2017
I worked at a very busy Des office it was stressful. You had to have lots of patience to work there. The pay was not great and every time we thought we were going to get a raise something always came up and we were told NO raises.
love to help people,
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ and Yuma azJune 27, 2017
i like working with others, team work is great. The assistance people get is incredible. I interviewed people for medical and food stamps, and cash benefits. Everything is based on eligibility, depending on a house hold income. the hardest part on the job is when interviewing a family member and family members are 7 or 10 and your sup is timing you to finish ASAP and you have to enter every ones information
Pros
you are being timed when interviewing
Cons
i love working there
Overall, fun and productive
PSE III (Former Employee) –  Change CenterJune 23, 2017
Although my direct supervisor/manager was great, I felt as if I was supposed to be walking on egg shells if upper management came to visit our building. Otherwise, our office was a fun and productive place to work.
Pros
I loved helping others
Cons
The director should have been let go way before he did
Values
Program Service Evaluator 3 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 15, 2017
Company did not value employees and it was difficult to move else where throughout the state. The state offer great benefits on the flip side, and the pay was reasonable.
Pros
Potlucks, great healthcare, PTO/sick time, can work from home.
Cons
Short breaks, poor management, do not value employees, workload is overbearing.
A little strict and everything has to be done ONE way.
Human Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2017
Working in DDD can be a little 'strict'. Management (people who have never done your job or haven't done it in 20 years) tell you EXACTLY how to do your job. They want everything done ONE way, their way. If you miss ONE little thing that took 2 weeks to submit up they'll toss the entire job back to you to fix the minor error and start the entire process over. Everything is extremely time sensitive time and you must make deadlines or get written up.
Pros
Health/vison/dental are cheap
Cons
No room for growth unless you want to be a manager and not be a social worker.
Great people, somewhat overworked
Human Service Specialist II Case Manager II (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 28, 2017
There is a lot of work to be done in this job. But if you get bored of doing the same thing over and over, this isn't the job for you. Although, I really enjoyed the flexibility of the job.
Program Service Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZMay 24, 2017
Hourly position with possible overtime. Ability to help the public. Hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone. Most enjoyable part is being able to make a difference.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Productive center to help people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe ArizonaMay 19, 2017
This type of work is not for everyone its extremely busy. Everyday at work was a new experience to assist people or families of multiple cultures and backgrounds. We all need help at some point in our lives. I have personally been on both sides of that counter. There were those times that can be frustrating and disappointing to have to deal with irate individuals. There are also times that can be rewarding and satisfying to help those in need to be able to help someone no matter how old receive the help they are looking for was the a great feeling.
Pros
Finding help for others
Cons
short breaks
Good benefits
CASE MANAGER II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 2, 2017
It is a good place to work, you will have very good benefits and a good balance between work and personal life, also you have the opportunity to help many people.
Benefits
Cons
Low salary
They hired us and fired us seven months later
Eligibility Interviewer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 1, 2017
They hired us and fired us seven months later. It sucked. Most of us were desperate for work. We trained and got used to the routine for when we would start working with clients. Then they laid us all off suddenly.
Pros
They hired us and fired us seven months later
Stable work environment, making improvements to processes and management
Would rather not say (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 28, 2017
Overall this is a stable workplace, they are continuously trying to improve processes and management of employees. They offer many options for furthering education to their employees. The pay for some jobs should be much higher, however the work is rewarding.
Pros
Good benefits, continuing education, rewarding work
Cons
Pay is low
good place
Armed Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 25, 2017
DES is a good and nice place to work like a security guard, people are nice, there is always something to do, you can help people that are in a big need.
Best Place
Eligibility Interviewer I Susan Palmer-supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 10, 2017
The job was very flexible. management was very nice and personable. it was laid back and I was never micromanaged. this was the best place i have ever worked.
this is the place to work if u want to help people
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZFebruary 24, 2017
Was a great experience working to help other , helping them find other resources in the community, learned how to observe, communicate in both english and spanish, how to work and also attend to migrant workers who travel back and fourth from California to Arizona as they are field workers. the hardest part of the job was having to deny clients that really needed the assistance but didnt qualify due to earning only a couple of dollars over the income limit. best part was to see the smilies on the famlies faces and working with the wonder staff
Pros
having potluck get togethers, and holiday parities and working with wonderful people
Cons
dont really have one
Great for Stability
Human Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZFebruary 22, 2017
Not a whole lot of room for advancement. You could work here for 10 years and never receive a pay increase. Stable work hours and good benefits. The managment leaves much to be desired. Seasoned staff are typically very jaded.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Not a lot of room to advance
Good place for opportunities and advancement in certain career areas.
Vocational Counselor (Former Employee) –  Payson, AZFebruary 16, 2017
Typical day included reviewing schedule and determining which assessments or case plans needed to be updated.

Learned about the different services available for clients.
Pros
able to convers with other offices via staff meetings via teleconferencing.
wonderful
Human Services Specialist/Investigator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 29, 2017
I love working for Adult Protective Services and love the people I work with. It is an amazing job that helps others. They care for the people they serve and the employees as well.
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2017
1. Kept busy most of the
2. Got lots experience from different assignments
3. My superiors have been pretty good
4. Most of my co-works have been pretty good

All of these jobs where pretty much fun to work for