Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews in United States

Training for the DES/DDD
Training Officer 2 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2016
Overall, fantastic job. Training and assisting people to grow is phenomenal. You are able to work with caring people doing a job/career that is there to improve the quality of life. I learned to provide better training and development. My initial managers were supportive and sought to better the employees. One potential area of concern is that this position is highly visible and in a government agency, which means political appointments. In one year, I saw my entire training team replaced because of an appointee who created a hostile work environment. Eventually this person was removed but the agency still has not recovered what was lost. The hardest part of the job that I faced was partly the above, but during this time I was expected to do the work I was assigned plus the training of 3 other instructors.
Pros
State benefits, fair salary, teaching good people, great teams.
Cons
Bureaucracy, politics, poor human resources, potential for disasterous management
Laid back enviroment.
Child support debt officer (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day at work starts with starting a number of case files for that specific month. Establishing and terminating certain child support debts.

I have learned from this job to take my time and be patient. Learning to research and focus on the main details of a case.

My Co workers are all older women and I am the youngest in the entire division. Not really much to say.

I like this job a lot. But there is a lot of down time. I will rather be more productive.
Benefits
Cons
low pay, manatory retirement.
Very fast paced and high stress job
Fair Hearing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2016
I review cases for Medical, Cash and Food Stamp assistance for accuracy. I present all of the evidence before the Administrative Law Judge as a Representative for The State of Arizona. As well as gather all of the laws that apply for the determinations. I testify in front of the Appellant and Administrative Law Judge as to why Appellants were approved, denied or the amount of benefits they are entitled to and many other duties.
Pros
Fast paced and detailed
Cons
High stress and deadlines
Straight Foward Data Entry
Kelly Services CDS Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 29, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of me reviewing faxes for approval or denial of governmental assistance. If approved, clients were able to move into the next step of the assistance process by having a meeting set up with an assistance manager. My Coworkers were always helpful especially when my system would be down and I was unable to complete a task without a certain program.
Pros
The Relationship Building and Team Chemistry
Cons
Being enclosed in one area without windows
Was interesting work with changing priorities.
Supervisor, Administrator Kylah Ross (Former Employee) –  4000 N. Central Ave. Ste.720, Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2015
Training is an important part of social work. I was very happy to be part of it. My co-workers, for the most part were great, the site needs to be enlarged to accommodate the growth of the unit. It was crowded. Need to focus on the support staff needs more in order to retain good support staff.
Pros
Employee Benefits were good.
Cons
Constantly changing management meant for inconsistent management.
Can be enjoyable sometimes
Program Services Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AzJuly 12, 2015
Great benefits, pay and job security. However customer is always right, regardless if you are cursed at, and ridiculed.
Pros
Hour lunch and great benefits
Cons
Clients are mean and rude and management never cared
Stressful work enviroment
PSEI (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZApril 11, 2016
A very Hostile work environment, management made fun of the clients they helped. No support to employees.
Co workers were great to work with very supportive.
Decent pay but no opportunity for advancement
Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 8, 2016
See above.
I have been with the company for 15 years and we have only ever received one pay rise over that time while responsibilities have increased almost 200 percent.
Good work Environment
ASO II (Supervisor) - Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2015
Provided guidance ad service to management, staff, employees and public on daily basis. Worked together as a TEAM. Constant recruitment for high volume turnover for positions as employees vacated due to higher paying positions with contractors.
Fun work place
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 16, 2015
Everyone was very friendly and worked together as a team. Birthdays and potlucks were frequent. The job itself was awesome and the schedule was ideal. The only complaint was the pay.
Pros
Cared about employees and employee ideas, team encouragement, benefits
Cons
pay

Want to know more about Department of Economic Security?

Ask a question
The Most Enjoyable part of the Job
Clerk Typist III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2015
Learning something new everyday about the Department of Economic Security. Always able to learn new ways to help individual with help in bettering there lives(monies, food,job placement, basic needs for living.)
Pros
Working alongside wonderful people
Cons
Management was not supportive at times.
assisting customers with needs
Program Services Evaluator IV (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2014
A typical day at work was managing staff and assisting customers with benefits to supplement their needs such as medical, food stamps and cash assistance. Co-workers and employees were a joy to be around with all different types of personalities and back rounds. The hardest part of the job was denying customers benefits do to not being qualified but still needing help. The most enjoyable was helping customer obtain benefits and knowing they can get by until they find more stable employment. It was also enjoyable assisting my staff and helping them with their duties and being there to support and encourage them. Working with a diverse group of people teaches you to have patience and acceptance of different backgrounds and cultures.
Pros
helping others
Cons
dead end job, denying customers when they need help
Great organization with a very diverse staff.
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMay 25, 2014
I ran training classes 3-4 times per day.
Held 1 on 1 interviews with individuals looking for work.
Logged their weekly job search reports.
I worked on a team of 11 people who were all very eager to help me learn the job. I enjoyed working with the clients and help to motivate them in looking for work. I would have to help get them back on track if they didn't send in their weekly reports. The hardest part was when the clients didn't have any desire to look for work and I would have to explain to them that they could lose their government benefits if they didn't comply.
Pros
great shift hours
Cons
the training was very short and there was not a lot of help from management.
Dependable, willing to go the extra mile, enthusiastic, always adapt to new changes.
Customer Service Clerk I (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 27, 2015
I am dependable and always on alert to better my office needs. Willing to go the extra mile to make sure that my co-workers' have the support needed
Productive and rewarding.
Information Technology Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2013
Analyzing network and microcomputer problems. Customer support and training. communicating with customers, and technical support staff. Each day is different some new knowledge learned each. My co-workers work as a team sharing skills to get the job done.
Pros
no micro-management.
Cons
no room to advance. you have to leave your department in order to get a raise.
Work days Monday-Friday, Holidays off
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2014
I enjoyed working with Department of Economic Security, assisting and helping people is very rewarding for me. Worked with a great bunch of people, for the most part Management was great....like any business, you have some who are not supportive, thankfully they were few and far in between.
Pros
work days, benefits, culture, people
Cons
sometimes stressful
Rewarding working with disabled individuals
Human Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix AZApril 10, 2014
A typical day at work is scheduling interviews and meeting with families to determine eligibility. I learn about different types of disabilities and what the functional limitations are. Management and co-workers are awesome people to work with. The hardest part about my job is having turn families away when they do not qualify for our programs. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction we have with families and being able to help and guide them to the right resources in need.
Pros
hours of work and benefits
Cons
pay increases
Great place to work and Benefits are golden
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2012
A typical day at work varied depending on your assigned role.
I learned be understanding to the customer's needs in finding employment
Management is great and very flexable. Willing to work with you.
My co-workers are great to work with
Hardest part of the job is getting the customers to understand that they need help and guidance.
When the customer that you helped gets a job that's the best feeling because you helped them.
Pros
retirement fund, great benefits
Cons
no reimbursements, or stipends
great evironment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2015
I know i would be a great asset to the company. To acquire a challenging position with a dynamic corporation while utilizing my abilities that I have developed through experience and opportunities that have increased my potential within a growing industry. To generate a professional enthusiastic attitude and “To make a difference”.
in this position i had the pleasure of helping people who needed to be redirected to the right department to get benefits
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  phoenix , azMay 21, 2015
i will locate their local office for them to go and get benefits intake information and have someone call them to received further information on their case , a nice professional environment the only bad thing was that it is temporary
Pros
help people learned new things that i never thought existed
Cons
temporary position

Department of Economic Security Reviews by Location