Department of Economic Security

Department of Economic Security Employee Reviews

There are still some good people that care
Foster Parent / Caregiver (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 4, 2015
Pros: Some good people left
Cons: The system is horribley broken and NO one wants to stand up for the true needed changes
I considered myself one of the lucky ones. For the most part I had support from supervisors and case manager. However primarily this was because I actively pursued beneficial change and advocacy
Not what I thought it would be
Program Services Evaluator I (Former Employee), Tucson, AZApril 25, 2015
Initial training was very poor. Okay job for someone just starting out. Not very accommodating to employees with disabilities.
Balanced and Stable Employer with great work atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2015
This employer was an environment which was well-balanced and relaxed while also being very stable. It was a pleasant experience.
Loved Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clerk Typist III (Former Employee), Tucson, AZApril 15, 2015
Pros: Friends for life.
Cons: Having to give bad news about benefits to clients.
This is when I realized what I enjoyed working as in the future.
The staff and co-workers were great people to work with.
I made friends for life.
I enjoyed working with and helping the public.
I learned new skills and experience.
The best part of the job was when I was promoted to a
clerk typist III.
busy place
Jobs administration assistant (Former Employee), Apache Junction, AZMarch 17, 2015
Pros: meeting different people
Cons: the line of bs people give you
seeing people for the job program, learn how to read people, get things ready for meeting, data entry,co workers we great to work for, helping people get back on their feet
Always busy
Eligibility Clerk (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: alot of training
Cons: many clients not enough hours in the day
I enjoyed working with the community to help families that were in need of support for foodstamps and for state issues insurance. The opportunity to take ongoing classes was plentiful and there was always employees will to help and to serve.
Social gathers
Accountant Tech III (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: healthcare benefit packs
Cons: lunch room
A typical day at DES, is all work and no play at times because we serve the County and State Capitals needs of serves in Public Assistances. I learned new skills in accounting and I was able to see my accounting degree at work. Management was good they handled us accountable for our teamwork. My co-workers were enjoyable they helped me learn as much as possible to get the job done. The hardest part of my day was getting finished fast with my work, and sent to other departments to complete my day. The most enoyable part of my job was completing my task and making my boss happy.
Productive fun work place
CDS/CSR I (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2015
Schedule drivers to pick up or drop off loads to customers or vendors, keeping records of drivers daily
Logs, and payroll.
Skills Used
Negotiation, persuasion, and active listener.
Very Productive
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee), Mesa, AZFebruary 4, 2015
Great atmosphere to work able to assist job applicants for job referrals and employers with job recruitment,
Able to give presentation on labor laws, UI and other benefits available
Fast pace and unpredictable work environment
Case Aide II (Current Employee), Avondale, AZJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: healthcare benefits, retirement, annual leave, sick leave and the opportunity to get overtime- time and a half.
Cons: not making enough money hourly, having to work alot of overtime to survive, being away from my children because of all the overtime
A typical work day consist of myself starting at 730am. I will come in pick up my vehicle for the day and all my information on which family that I am seeing. I will be driving most of my day and picking up kids and transport them to the visit location. I will then supervise the visit and also answer any of the questions parents might have for me. I would also have to redirect the child if the child is not listening to the parents. After I completed that visit I will take the kids back to the day care office and then drive to the next location for my afternoon visit. Depending on the day and the age of kids my duties will change a little bit. After the visit has ended I will drop the kids off then head back to the office. While back at the office I will get ready for the next day and make sure my paper work is ready.
Skills that I have learned about this job are, time managing, prioritizing, scheduling, communication skills with clients and fellow employees, how to present myself in a professional manner. I also learned how to enter time sheets in a timesheet data base. Other skills is completing assignments in a timely fashion and having them done on time. I have also learned how to work with children and their parents together.
My coworkers have been great. We all work as a team and help each other out when there is help needed. If we are sick we will keep in contact so that we can make sure any visits that day will get covered or rescheduled and made up. We all have really good attitudes and enjoy what we do and how we work with the kids every day.
The hardest part of the – more... job will be the times that I know the families will be having their last visits because their rights have been severed. Usually that is when the parents will say their final good byes at the end of the visit and the kids are crying because they will not see their parents until they become an adult and look for the parents. Another hardest part of the job will be when you're doing the very first visit after being removed. The kids are so excited to see their parents after being placed with a complete strange family. They believe they are going back home when in reality they are only visiting for 2 hours then returning to the placement. They scream, cry, and hyper ventilate because they can't take being taken away from their parents again.
The most enjoyable part of this job is working with the children and parents together. You kind of become a part of their family for the meanwhile. You're able to help the parents and children grow a stronger bond than what they have had in the past. You also give the parents a new set of skills to use to work with their kids. When seeing the smiles on the faces of the children bringing them to see the parents is the best. The best part of this job knows that the parents got their kids back and CPS or DCS is out of their lives. Knowing you had a part in the return of the children and bringing a family back together feels really good. This part of the job makes it worth staying. – less
fast pace, pushing for numbers
Disability Evaluator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AzJanuary 11, 2015
A typical day at work consist of looking at medical records and making a medical determination if people are disable.
steady work, flexible hours
Medical Consultant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 28, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: quantity valued over quality, bureaucratic idiosyncracies
Sit in cubicle, quiet atmosphere, analyze medical records from 100-1000 pages, summarize the person's condition over the time period requested and compare with criteria for disability set out by SSA. Difficult for a perfectionist as quantity is valued over quality. Claimant's have incentive to exaggerate to get benefits. Co-workers pressured to cut corners. Very flexible hours within the 6am to 6 pm day. Great for parents of school age children. Bureaucracy not able to be responsive to suggestions for improvement. Long time required to become proficient at analyses.
it was okay
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZNovember 19, 2014
I learned a lot in DES and the people and I have nothing more to say about this
Productive and fun volunteer work
Administrative Assistant/Volunteer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 21, 2014
Communicating; using my bi-lingual skills in Spanish to help non English speaking clients with their application.
Assisting employees; copying, disposing of confidential information, filing and alphabetized clients folder in file room.
Organized station ready for the next volunteering day.
Amazing team
Accountant (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2014
*Resolves problems on mainframe: Expired Warrants, Cancelled Warrants, Expenditures, Revenue documents, encumbrances, journal vouchers, cash receipts, creates and process proposed adjusting journal entry (PAJE), and verifies for accuracy, timeliness and proper preparation (correct preparation correct distribution, sequence numbers).
*Gathers and compiles data and writes detailed monthly reports by summarizing financial transactions and status of accounts for a given period.
*Examines and verifies such fiscal transactions as billing and invoices, payments, and payroll, by compiling and spot checking figures by through examination in comparison with validated records.
*Applied the methods and techniques of data processing as it relates to accounting practices.
I was introduce for the first time to State processes, software and environment, co-workers and management were great team, the hardest part of the job was to leave since was a great place to work, the most enjoyable was the opportunity to work with them.
Fun working enviroment
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: very informative
Cons: management
Management was great assume co-worker and the hours company as great employee
Great People
Benefit Advisor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: saying no
It really hard to turn down a person in need. But the people I worked with were great.
want more
Habilitation Tech II (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2014
enjoy working with co-workers and individuels just need a lil more pay
Helping people with food stamps and medical care requirements
PSE II Eligibility Worker/CSR (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: making an postive impact on people's lives.
Cons: seeing the desperation when they denied for food stamps and health care.
Very serious and complicated job. I learned to interact with people at their lowest and darkest times in their lives. Their was no room for errors.
Love being able to advocate for clients, work personally , give hope
Program Service Evaluator (Current Employee), Mesa, AZSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: benefits & knowledge
Cons: inconsistency
Answer & send correspondence via emails.fax walk in, to clients, other State agencies to help clients provide proper documents to correct agency to either participate or become exempt. Track all actions in State Systems, daily reports.
Help clients create resume,feel confident in their skills,guide proper way to participate. Find resources for their barriers. Help in any way or find someone who can guide in areas not in my specialty
I am the main go to person for reading codes or notes in Main frame computer systems.
Hardest part is getting some agencies to work side by side us to help clients.
Most enjoyable are the Thank you emails or calls for the time and care I gave them.

1 2 3 4