Department of Education Employee Reviews

Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2017
I loved working with children and teachers, there is nothing like helping a child learn it helps you grow as well as the child however working for the DOE is extremely stressful. They are not as appreciative and there is not much job security as a sub para
Pros
working with children
Cons
DOE
I was a substitute teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu and Leeward DistrictsMarch 24, 2017
I prefer to be at one school rather than not knowing where I will be from day to day. I taught all subjects. I worked in the Honolulu and Leeward Districts.
great management
Account Receivable (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 24, 2017
receiving checks, check them with their account. enter them in cash system, end of the day print report and check the checks against the report, scan them to be deposited to the bank.call if check not received. answer call if any problems.send invoices with balances to vendor. department of education has 32 district and in each district more than 70 schools that only 2 of us process the checks every week.
Doe life
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 19, 2017
Its challenging job but once your passionate about it, it all becomes easy. I learned a lot but working with special needs students and it makes me love my job more every day.
A job where you fight for yourself
Tutor/Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2017
As an independent contractor with the Department of Education, you will have to find clients to tutor and report that information to the Department of Education through a third party. If you are good at finding clients and selling yourself to customers then this is the job for you. You have to have really good organizational and interpersonal skills.
A learning experience
MANAGEMENT/PROGRAM ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2017
Productive, energetic, room for advancement and or career changes. I enjoyed traveling and working with the schools, the hardest part of the job was the addition of 30+ more grants each year.
Pros
JOB SECURITY
Cons
NONE
Teaching is the least that your able to do. The department swamps teachers with unnecessary paper work and there is not enough time in the day.
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Juana Díaz, PRMarch 17, 2017
I love to teach, however with the intense amount of paperwork and accountability for each document, teaching is the least I do. Add that to the quality of the alumni that teachers receive today, students that lack any base or better stated foundation to build on. Sadly teaching is the least I get to do, its more like babysitting.
Pros
Seeing in each student a potential.
Cons
bad pay, bad retirment conditions
productive and fun workplace
Substitute/ Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Agana, guMarch 17, 2017
A day at work with the department was assisting faculty and staff assignment to classrooms when teacher is out to carry out teacher lesson plan and or assist in the hallways or field.
Responsible Assistant Teacher with excellent communication and coordination skills demonstrate by 3 years of classroom experience.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2017
Excellent classroom management
Teaching, tutoring, and counseling
Experience working special needs students
Creative student engagement
CPR certification
Effectively work with parents
Motivating students
Interactive teaching/learning
Strong listener
a typical day at work
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hato Rey, PRMarch 15, 2017
I was tasked with basic office work duties as such making copies, organizing files, directing visitors, answering calls, sending letters and faxes and creating organizational production charts with the information that I was provided.
Pros
management
Cons
workplace culture
Basic Teacher
Basic Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rincon, PRMarch 12, 2017
Teaching people from a geriatric center basic skill of reading and writing;
Responsible to teach basic Spanish sounds and basic Math.
rewarding
substitute school aide (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMarch 10, 2017
Productive and rewarding place to work..As a sub you are on call so there is not a lot of commitment on you . As a school aide you get summer vac, with pay.
Pros
city job
Cons
no work as sub
produce a lifelong learners
MASTER TEACHER teaching Elementary Grade students (Current Employee) –  DelawareMarch 10, 2017
Teaching children is enjoyable part of my job as a teacher. Molding their minds into a good person and an educated one is the hardest part but can manage by doing more strategies.
Productive and learn a lot
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIMarch 9, 2017
I wish I could've stayed with this job more than anything. I learned so much to become a better clerk/office assistant while I worked there. Each day would be better than the next.
Horrible place to work
Tech Support Intern (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 8, 2017
You will work your ___ off as an intern, you wont learn anything there.
Too much work with less money. I was told that I will be doing tech work there but ended up doing delivery job and labor work.
Pros
Cons
noisy, too much work
Cool place
After School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 8, 2017
Overall the school is great, so are my co workers and supervisor. They are always there to back you up and we are like a family. Aside from that the kids are all great they all have a flaw of course.. but they are just as sweet
A productive and fun place overall.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 5, 2017
A typical work day at my current job starts with picking up the children and taking them to class. I've learned to have patiences and understand different people overall. At times management works smoothly depending on the day. We have a big diversity of students and staff at our school. The hardest part of my job is seeing a child have a meltdown. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching my students and staff have a smile on their face because my presence made an impact in their life.
Pros
Lunch break, half a days, feeling loved
Cons
No healthcare, No retirement plans
Full-Time Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMarch 5, 2017
Typical day at work is usually a nice experiences. Most enjoyable part of my job is helping others. Management is good. Workplace culture is overall good. Have a lot of negative employees which can make it hard to be happy at my job.
Pros
Always Busy
Cons
Negative Attitudes
Productive And Resourceful Workplace
EXPERIENTIAL LEARNER (ADMIN OFFICER) (Former Employee) –  MotetemaMarch 1, 2017
Managing students,parents,stuff,disputes and finances.Constant workflow. Working under pressure. Punctuality. Resolving disputes. Contributing towards the building of future leaders.
Pros
Helping the community, Job Security, Self Development
Cons
Availability of Resources, Knock Off Time
Great manager to work for
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2017
Everyone help and work with one another to get the job done. Worked together as a team for best results in our endeavors. Very low pay is my only reason why I left.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.