Department of Energy

Department of Energy Employee Reviews

Positive work experience & successful team-building
Desktop Tier II & III Support (Current Employee), Lemont, IL.June 29, 2015
Providing Tier II/II Helpdesk Support, which included remote & on-site support while working in a team-building environment. The most enjoyable part of the experience is in documenting & building best practices processes & procedures.
short term position
Quality Control Manager (Former Employee), Washignton, DCJune 24, 2015
Helping the customers and there families was nice. Job didnt get the funding needed to keep the project afloat. the knowledge and experience learned from this positon was helpful.
Productive and good place to work.
Vice President (Former Employee), Lakewood, COJune 19, 2015
Great benefits, people oriented. Management is working with staff to make process improvements where needed. The people are wonderful to work with and are extremely dedicated to their work.
Working at the Department of Energy
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 21, 2015
A typical day at work included me organized FOIA cases, security clearance cases as well as sitting in mediation meetings. I learned an abundance of things such as how to conduct a security clearance hearing, mediation techniques and how the federal government works. My managers were very welcoming and helped in whatever task I needed help on. My co-workers embraced me as an intern and put worth their – more... best effort in teaching me how the Department of Energy worked and how to do my job more effectively. The hardest part of my job was the reading the 20+ pages of security clearance cases and analyzing them which soon because easier the more I did it. The most enjoyable part was that I was among the nations capitals best workers in the Office of Hearings and Appeals and their work ethic gave me more motivation to constantly strive for the highest in my future endeavors. – less
Good research environment
Graduate student (Former Employee), Ames, IAFebruary 12, 2015
Doing research as graduate students here can benefit one with connection and professional growth. The place have resource for research, even though some might be outdated.
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee), Miamisburg,OHFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: working at a facility that treated you with digity and respect.
Cons: facility shutdown
Great position,dangerous,adventurous,would have been better if everyone could have respected each other and got along.The hardest part was the heavy lifting.A typical day included decontamination of labs and cooridors,packing contaminated waste. The most enjoyable was working with a group of people who got along with each other and looked out for each other.The position was never boring,always something different to do.
Looking for Meaning
Senior Performance Auditor (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: compensation is good, work is fasinating
Cons: don't expect many of the perks that you may find in the private sector (i.e. parking, free meals, big bonuses).
There are a lot of things that could be improved at the DOE, but at the end of the day, you will not feel like a cog in a machine. The work is fascinating and you can see the positive impact from your hard work.
Great Company
Roads and Grounds HR/Accounting Manager (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNNovember 7, 2014
Fast paced environment. Excellent place to work. Challenging work load.
telework
Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Germantown, MDNovember 2, 2014
Pros: telework
Cons: management
Outstanding telework program for employees to work from home part time or full time
Sr. Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 8, 2014
Tell us about:

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names.
Your review may be publicly displayed by Indeed.

Private contractor for WAPA-DOE
Security Officer (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: pays well for a security job
There is no room for advancement, nor is there any culture to speak of. Security officers are treated as second or third rate persons by WAPA staff, to include swearing at them, berating them, and threating them. Managment does not protect their employees when treated this way by the DOE staff.
Limited advancement opportunities
Department of Energy (Current Employee), Golden, COJuly 28, 2014
Pros: work life balance; nice facilities
Cons: poor leadership; risk averse; culture promotes status quo
Limited opportunities for career advancement; poor leadership and work culture; very little incentive for high achievement; leaders are more interested in building empires than building collaborative teams
sr project coord
SR Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Lanham, MDJuly 12, 2014
My Duties consist of but not limited to interacting directly with customers, providing service and support. Activities usually include cataloging images and files. Assist with developing programs related to information resources. Analyzes plans, coordinates and serves as project manager for courses of action and methods needed to support, design, and implement projects, in an area of specialization – more... of an interpretive or advisory nature. I support the Photography Laboratory activities within the technical information area by reviewing and analyzing data and images. My leadership skills are advertised though the Energy Technology Visual Collection department; attending meeting, tracking timesheets and overseeing employees. I obtain images from outside sources and various Department of Energy Laboratories. – less
Serious and Organized research
Summer Research Intern, Department of Energy (Former Employee), Germantown, MDJune 5, 2014
Pros: worked with a lot of great people
Cons: long bus rides
• Conducted research and compiled data on radioactive waste
• Presented findings on radioactive research to Senior Engineer
Productive employer
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 27, 2014
I was employed at the Department of Energy as a contractor. I met some wonderful people, some of whom are still friends. I learned quite a bit
Productive and learning day to day
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 20, 2014
Typical day was estimating and figuring cost for risk facilitated buildings.
This job opened the door for me.
Security Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 9, 2014
I learned a great deal while I worked here. It was an ok place to work.
Great project
Contractor, Jacobs (Former Employee), Oak Ridge, TNMay 8, 2014
I loved contracting through Jacobs at Oak Ridge National Lab. They were amazing and supported you though all the work on each project you complete.
Very Busy with minimal supervision
Contacting Officer (Current Employee), Oak Ridge, TNMay 7, 2014
A federal government agency with political undertones. Much of the acquisition staff is young with little experience and no exposure to other government agencies.
Flex time work schedule.
Senior Security Specialist, I (Current Employee), New MexicoApril 17, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits.
Cons: very slow to advance talented employees.
Good place to work as a federal and/or contractor employee.

1 2 3

About Department of Energy

The Department of Energy is responsible for ensuring exploration, development, processing, utilisation and management of South – Read more

Department of Energy Salaries