Department of Energy

Department of Energy Employee Reviews

Federal Agent
Senior Federal Agent (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 27, 2017
Your fellow Agents come from various Special Operations backgrounds, as well as Law Enforcement and other military skill sets

Promotions are 100% competitive

Don't expect SES level management to make any decisions.
Pros
Work environment and co-workers
Cons
Competitive promotions, Yearly health physical assessment, over all pay
Great Benefits
Pathways Intern / Accountant (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TN 37830July 11, 2016
The Benefits and salary is very competitive. Very family oriented and lots of perks. DOE truly tries to improve the employees work life balance.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 25, 2016
Working at the Department of Energy was a great experience, I had the opportunity to work with many people from different groups within the company. Being able to interact with different groups allowed me the opportunity to gain insight on the demand of other groups within DOE.
Interesting atmosphere with work at home benefits.
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2016
Strong people skills, relaxed atmosphere, open to suggestions, consistency, professional office environment. Quick turn-around for projects. Strong editing abilities.
Pros
Work from home program - Early business hours
Cons
Not flexible with some practices and regulations
Great Mission
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 27, 2016
The mission is essential in securing U.S. energy independence. World-wide recognition and the agency hires extremely bright and talented individuals. There are many opportunities to get involved with community outreach and network with other programs within the agency. Collaboration is preferred and brings about positive results.
Pros
satisfaction in contributing towards making a difference in the energy sector.
Federal
ITIL Certified Consultant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 13, 2016
Working for a Government Agency is always a challenging and rewarding experience. The Department of Energy plays a vital role and provides a huge contribution to the development of innovative technologies.
Fun workplace
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2016
A typical work day is busy and I love meeting new people and working with my co-workers. I travel a lot with job and it's right next to public transportation.
Pros
great lunch break
12.5 Hour Shift Operations worked nights for 4.5 years
Security Police Sergeant (Armed) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2015
The culture of the organization is based on it's people. I worked with highly trained and motivated people. Our training department was very confident in their abilities to stay abreast of forever changing situations. Having been a leader in the organization was rewarding.
Pros
Great Benefits and pay
Cons
Long work hours over night
Awesome Working Experience
Program Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2016
I love the Autozone I worked at. The employees were like family. I'm glad I was able to get a job there and hold as long as I can. The hours was great and the wages was reasonable. You was able to gain more hours and promote to management position with the proper training. I miss it there.
Productive and fun workplace.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 4, 2016
Very positive office experience. Enjoyed all my tasks in the office. I learned a lot of new procedures and programs while being employed.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Government Job
Records Manager (Former Employee) –  United States Of AmericaApril 21, 2016
Nuclear weapons plant records management in an attempt to change from a paper based system to an electronic system. it has been 22 years and they are still not there.
Bell Atlantic --
Cogent Security Operations, Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 28, 2016
Bell Atlantic is one of the Best companies I have ever worked for.
nothing more to say about this company that I haven't already said previously.
Pros
great bemefots
Cons
little flexiability
Excellent Contracting Experience
GIS Technician (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2016
I found the DOE to be a great place to work. They were flexible about my job offers, understanding about my job/education requirements, and I met a lot of mentors and excellent team members there. I could not have asked for a better place to work.
Pros
Great Geospatial team; great managers
Cons
can be easily fired as a contractor
Limited advancement opportunities
Department of Energy (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 28, 2014
Limited opportunities for career advancement; poor leadership and work culture; very little incentive for high achievement; leaders are more interested in building empires than building collaborative teams
Pros
work life balance; nice facilities
Cons
poor leadership; risk averse; culture promotes status quo
Organized Team work, friendly..
Contract Electrical I&C Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 21, 2016
I repeatedly accepted contract assignments to this facility
I was assigned projects with challenges and performed my best at all assignments.
Pros
Was treated as a permanent employee.
Cons
I was escorted to sensitive areas
Productive and good place to work.
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 19, 2015
Great benefits, people oriented. Management is working with staff to make process improvements where needed. The people are wonderful to work with and are extremely dedicated to their work.
One of the better government operations
Software Supplier (Current Employee) –  Sandia LabsApril 21, 2016
I am a contractor in the SAM system. This government entity is filled with really smart people and I have learned many things over the years.
Pros
High Security
Cons
High Security
Private contractor for WAPA-DOE
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2014
There is no room for advancement, nor is there any culture to speak of. Security officers are treated as second or third rate persons by WAPA staff, to include swearing at them, berating them, and threating them. Managment does not protect their employees when treated this way by the DOE staff.
Pros
pays well for a security job
Great co-workers, some flux within the organization, but overall job security is good
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Germantown, MDMay 29, 2012
Esprit de corps among co-workers is fantastic. Extremely capable and professional team. Some occassional long hours particularly while on the road. Travel can be high at times, but again co-workers are great!
Pros
job security, co-workers
Cons
high travel at times
Overseer of Administrative Aides
Administrative Support Specialist Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2012
• Oversaw a group of five Administrative Aide's day to day activities which consisted of analytical and evaluative work, program planning, budget and travel administration, procurement administration, administrative information management activities and scheduling .
• Served as the office liaison with the Human Resources department, monitoring the flow of documents related to personnel matters.
• Managed the daily itinerary for the Director; including the background material for testimony, meetings and conferences.
• Developed new methods and procedures that facilitate improved organization responses from Federal and private industry groups.
• Reviewed correspondence communications for transmittal to other agencies.
• Logged and certified weekly time and attendance.
• Assisted and logged annual performance standards and reviews.
• Oversaw office event planning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Energy. Our community is ready to answer.