Department of Energy Employee Reviews

Doe
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 11, 2017
DOE is one of the best work placed ive ever worked at.
The people are really nice.
The work environment, it is really secured work place.
I would never want to leave DOE.
All went well.
Federal Officer/Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 6, 2017
Working with the Department Of Energy(DOE) was very eventful. It was like having 2 jobs in one. Hanging around at the section was usually an 8hr per day schedule. The main part of the job was being in Travel status. Driving up & down the High Way, going far and near, destination to destination for up to two weeks at times. We were fully armed, carrying some very serious assets that were very vital to the national security of the United States. Manage didn't really give us much issues, they also had a job to do. A typical day at the work place consisted of a meeting in the morning with some training involved, working out for enhancement of our physical health and then more classroom training before the days over.
The hardest part of the job was traveling at times when it was too long & being away from the family. The most enjoyable part of the job was working out during our free time and hanging with the other employers for a good laugh which made for an overall good culture setting. Basically I learned to improve over the years to be the best Agent as possible.
Pros
Good Insurance, plenty time off for travel and plus the money was good.
Cons
Time away from home wasnt so good.
Deliver Results
Reports Manager/ Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCDecember 1, 2017
Overall SRNS is a great place to work. I enjoy the culture and the environment. Daily I am challenged by management to do job that makes a difference in the lives of others.
Pros
Compelling Places to Work
Cons
Good people to work with
Contract Specialist - GS-12 (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2017
Managers and Supervisors are concerned for employees in terms of work/life balance. Managers ensured workload for employees was manageable and offered rotational assignment opportunities. Management placed a high emphasis on ensuring employees were successful and had as much training opportunities as possible.

Management trusted employees to complete job functions. Management also supported employee decisions and recommendations.

Program teams worked well together. Meetings were only held when necessary. High level of professionalism at this agency.

I would have stayed had it not been for family issues which made me need to relocate.
good job
Protective Force Police Officer (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCNovember 14, 2017
i liked the joob was good it had nad hours and no one wanted to ley you take ttime off. the money was good if you like doing nothing all day its greay
I thoroughly enjoyed working at the Dept of Energy
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COOctober 31, 2017
There are many fascinating fields to explore and get work in. Dept. of Energy operates more like the private sector. Poor supervisors were generally held accountable.
Pros
Great coworkers, interesting jobs
Cons
Cannot think of any.
Data Coordinator
Lead Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 27, 2017
Data Coordinator responsible for submittal of lab data for the Yucca Mountain Project. Established traceability of data to original work records including M&TE calibration, procured services, and software baselining.
Pros
Interesting work.
Cons
Temporary job.
nice place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2017
Great opportunity to advance. Variety of companies located inside the building. when one contract ends, its easy to get on with another. Opportunities for contractual and federal positions!
a typical day at work
Media Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2017
i love when coming in the morning gathering employees files and turning them onto a CD after scanning all the files into a document then contacting the customer with a smile on my face
Very Productive work place
Contract Closeout Specialist (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 21, 2017
I really enjoyed my job at DOE and helping all the Federal People close out contracts for different companies. It had its own restaurant in the building where I worked. It was wheelchair accessible.
Pros
slow paced, comfortable
Cons
didn't last long enough
Poorly Managed and a Quid Pro Quo Environment
Professional (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 7, 2017
Promotions are not based on merit and are based on a quid pro quo environment. Management is corrupt, prone to lying, cannot be trusted, and is ineffective (all have been acknowledged by executive management in writing as true problems). Training is only provided to favored employees (who will lie for management). Federal EEOC and Equal Pay Act laws are not followed. Harassment, retaliation, and discrimination is rampant.
Pros
Pay day, benefits
Cons
Hostile Work Environment. Management is ineffective.
Exciting
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  DublinAugust 7, 2017
Great place to work, great people, excellent manager and new opportunity in a new grant available to the public for home improvement and lots of dealing with customers.
researcher
Scientific Undergraduate Lab Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 6, 2017
It was a wonderful place to work. I would love to return. I enjoyed working there and everyday was interested and new. I worked from 9 to 6, with a flexible schedule.
Good boss and employees
Director of Campus Services (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIAugust 6, 2017
There is a cordial atmosphere at this place; people get along; people follow through on their assignments and get things done; professional and quality work environment
Day at office
Acquisition & Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Chaffee, ARJuly 31, 2017
I was responsible for manageing contracts that were established for the Department of Energys / Office of Secure Transportation Training site. This was a busy and mostly steady job. I was also responsible for all purchases that took place for the Federal Officer training site.
Illegal Work Practices are rampant
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 31, 2017
BPA has been in the news for violations. Google it! Managers retaliate! Employees sexually harassed and people over 50 bullied out. Etc etc Run Away As Fast As You Can
Pros
Standard Government Benefits
Cons
Race, Gender, and Age Discrimination
Doe
contractor (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNJuly 19, 2017
As a contractor for DOE, I can't really rate The Department of Energy as far as benefits ,compensation or management. The staff is great to work for, but they expect a lot out of one person and can sometimes be stressful.
Very convenient location.
Associate Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 19, 2017
I had a security clearance and worked off site. I had some great programmers mentor me here and I really enjoyed working with them. I was fortunate enough to have 3 programming staff take me under their wings and show me the ropes. I believe I grew the most at this job.
Administrative
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDJuly 18, 2017
I provided administrative support to other staff members in the Office of the Chief Medical Officer. I completed management and program support duties, such as office planning, maintaining files for office personnel, maintaining multiple program managers Microsoft Outlook calendars, resolving administrative programs or issues, completing correspondence controls, completing special projects, and data analysis work.
Pros
Work
Cons
Distance
Productive Agency
BUSINESS ANALYST - SENIOR CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2017
Top notch security to ensure the employees are covered; Routine exercises to ensure employees are knowledgeable of policies and procedures. Very great team to work with.