Department Of Family And Protective Services

Department Of Family And Protective Services Employer Reviews

Culture not receptive to fresh prospectives
Quality Assurance/ Risk Management Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 3, 2014
Pros: moderate distance from home
Cons: organizational culture
Job Work/Life Balance 3 stars
Compensation/Benefits 4 stars
Job Security/Advancement 3 stars
Management 3 stars
Job Culture 3 stars
Challenging and Rewarding Field
Caseworker- CVS Specialist IV (Current Employee), Killeen, TXDecember 1, 2014
Pros: not micromanaged
Cons: extensive traveling
DFPS is a high energy and challenging work place.
Work with a diverse cultural society.
My coworker are helpful and educated people and are team players.
The hardest part of my job is termination of parental rights.
The most enjoyable is reunification of children back to their parents.
Friendly work environment
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 23, 2014
Great environment to foster family spirit. However, not enough opportunity to advance and salary not comparable with equally qualified persons in the field.
social worker
Family based Safety Services Worker (Former Employee), corpus christi tx 78416October 20, 2014
A typical day of work is no day was the same. Everyday was different tasks and responsiblities. Working well with others was important, because we all need to be able to support and work as a team. My boss was good person and had a wealth of knowledge. She has worked as a social worker for many years, and she is the type of woman you have to look up – more... to and respect. Hardest part of the job is seeing certain things when you deal with child abuse and neglect. There are certain things you just cannot control. Most enjoyable moment is knowing that you touch people lives and that you have a purpose. – less
Good stepping stone job
Adult Protective Services Supervisor (Current Employee), Plano, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Overall satisfactory but the work culture is not great. Pay does not match the job responsibilities
Flexible work schdule
Adult Protective Services - Facility Investigator (Current Employee), Wichita Falls, TXAugust 28, 2014
This position provides flexible schedule and really does allow you to feel like you are making a difference in patient lives.
Challenging yet rewarding work
Investigator (Former Employee), Longview, TXAugust 25, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: 50 + per week
Case management of 20 plus families, investigating reports of abuse and neglect related to children.
Stable Job with Options to Advance
Centralized Placement Unit Coordinator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 10, 2014
This job is challenging and exciting. It makes one think about all the possibles and the 'what ifs'. It keeps you humble and makes you dedicated to the idea of protecting others.
A Beneficial Job
CPS Conservatorship Specialist (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasJune 19, 2014
Work on paperwork, attend court hearings, speak with clients, work with children, staff cases with supervisor, manage your own caseload, and staff cases with previous employees.
A great job for a single person
Investigator II (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJune 18, 2014
Pros: health insurance was provided for the emloyee at no cost.
Cons: overtime became comp time, the stress of the job was extreme, time with famiy was almost imposible.
A typical day would consist of going to clients home, or school, making contact with family, and creating a safety plan with the family. Services would then be offered and made sure the family followed thru with this plan.
In this field I learned great people skills, how to de-escalate any violent situation and how to see what the risk and dangers in – more... a home.
Management was horrible, every manager would have different rules and different levels of helping their team. Cases were not being corrected with the same guideline.
Co-workers help each other out with making the correct decision for the families, which was a big help.
The hardest part of this job was finding a work/life balance. There was no time to spend with your family as you had to work evenings and weekends to try to find your clients. – less
If you have the right supervisor than you can be a good worker
Conservatorship Worker (Former Employee), Odessa, TXMay 29, 2014
This job depends on your leaders, if you have a great management, you will have the skills and help you need to succeed. I was not so lucky.
The job is difficult, it can also be rewarding.
Good place to work co-workers are ver supportive
Investigator II (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 5, 2014
A typical ay at work is very busy and at times stressful. You get to help children who are in families where there is neglect or abuse.
DFPS Review
Senior Training Specialist V (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 5, 2014
Pros: telework is allowed
Excellent place to work
Excellent Job Work/Life Balance
Compensation/Benefits are great with 10+ paid Holidays per year.
I feel successful when my clients are happy.
Conservatorship Supervisor II (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 2, 2014
Pros: free health insurance
Cons: no room for advancement
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with families and providing much needed services to clients.
Productive work place
CPS Investigator II (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 6, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: resources
Job is great as it allows you to connect with your community and neighbors.
Different experience daily
Human Services Technician (Current Employee), Killeen, TXJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: flexiblility
Cons: no advancement
Every day is a new day. At a minutes notice, I could be on the road helping a family take care of challenges they otherwise would not be able to do on their own. I am responsible for supporting the caseworker's to fulfill their jobs in a less stressful manner. I get along with my co-workers. We have team building to relieve stress and we laugh a lot. – more... The hardest part of my job is seeing the negative outcome of a family's hardship. I have learned patience and to challenge myself daily with the different duties that come my way in a minutes notice. – less
Steady work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Greenville, TXJanuary 18, 2014
I worked there almost 7 years. There is a lot of turnover in this profession due to stress dealing with this particular job of child abuse. Personally, it was an alright job. There is no room within the agency for Administrative Assistants to move up or get raises which is ultimately what led to my leaving the job. The people were great but a job that – more... leads nowhere with an income that is extremely low for the work performed. – less
Overall, a great place to work- very flexible and family-friendly.
Supervisor II- State of Texas (Former Employee), El Paso, TXDecember 22, 2013
Pros: very personally rewarding
Cons: bureaucratic environment
A great place to serve vulnerable populations from abuse, neglect, and exploitation. Most co-workers are dedicated to the clients who are served through this agency. It is working toward and experiencing positive outcomes for these individuals that makes any job at DFPS rewarding.
Excellent Job!
Investigator (Former Employee), Alice, TXDecember 2, 2013
This job is extremely demanding but I loved my job. I will never say anything bad about it. There are many sleepless nights, cries on the way home due to not enough hours in the day, holidays missed, etc. Abuse and neglect does not rest or take a break. If it is going to happen, it will happen at anytime, any day.

The hardest part of this job was the – more... paperwork that goes into every single case BUT people have to realize that it is necessary to have this done and in a timely manner. A case is a family...someone you may be related to, someones parents', children, grand children. Time is of the essence.

The only reason I left was because I was going to be married and my fiance' was not from that area. I am still trying to go back. That is where I belong. – less
Investigations
Investigator (Current Employee), Waxahachie, TXDecember 2, 2013
The case load for this job is very high, and the work environment is difficult.