Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Energized, exciting and family oriented.
Social Service Specialist 2 (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAFebruary 15, 2018
My typical day of work is coming in checking emails and returning telephone calls to clients. Some mornings we have trainings or meeting with our team and supervisors. I work on reports and documentation until lunch. After lunch I go into the field to conduct home visits with foster parents and foster children, or recruit for foster/adoptive parents. On certain days/weeks, I am scheduled to be on call after hours.

I have learned that I can be in the position of any family we serve, to be grateful and humble. I have learned time management, improved my people skills, and how to accept change. Working with the State things change quite often.

My current workplace culture is family oriented, we work as a team, we cheer each it other up on stressful days and cheer each other on through hard projects.

The hardest part of my job is seeing the children after they have been taken away from their family. Trying to reinsure the children they will be placed in a loving home that will care for them while their family work on making it safe for them to return home.

I love to see the children reunited with their families, or a child find a forever family.
Pros
Leadership is awesome, team work and flexibility.
Cons
Long hours, weekend work, stresful
Be ready for a roller coaster ride
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 9, 2018
I wanted to work at CPS because I heard they were making positive changes at the agency and I wanted to be a part of that change. Little did I know, it was all a lie. They give you tasks they know can not be completed within a realistic time frame, yet they want it done. They want you to get your work done, but become upset when you have to use OT. They want it done whether you have to lie, cheat or forge your way to get it done. I loved working with the families and making sure they were getting the services that they needed. However, there were more horror stories than success stories. Lots of times CPS made promises they didn't keep. I knew I had to resign when my supervisor told me the main goal of CPS was to close cases- nothing more, nothing less.
Pros
Meeting with families, talking with children, driving to different places in Texas, etc.
Cons
Supervisors speak to staff like children, micro-managed from the beginning, days without lunch breaks, etc.
Fast paced have to learn quick and have to work diligently
CPS Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2018
Have to stay on top of your job at all times, you have to have compassion but have a limitations towards the people you are investigating and listen to, children's lives depend upon it
Pros
The people that you work around
Cons
Work-life balance is very difficult
Stressful and understaffed
Investigator- Child Protective Services (Former Employee) –  Aransas Pass, TXFebruary 6, 2018
The nature of my position was stressful in this department, however I loved my job. I enjoyed great benefits and unlimited resources, however, most units were understaffed and overworked which made it very hard to maintain a family life and be a successful investigator. If the working hours could be distributed differently, I would have gladly stayed there forever.
Bittersweet
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 5, 2018
A typical work day begins early and ends late, includes constant interaction with abused and neglected children and constant documentation. This is a job that follows you and is very difficult to NOT think about.

Although this position was not fulfilling to me and did not offer the work life balance or ability to assist families with making a positive change, the team I worked with and the supervisor I worked for were the best I have ever encountered. No longer having day to day interactions with them has made leaving this position to seek one that i s better suited for me, extremely bitter sweet.
Pros
flexibility, autonomy, working with an excellent team
Cons
hours, poor work life balance, constant deadlines
Happy when children are return home
FBSS Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2018
We visited families with parents who abuse or neglect their children. Some children were move to other family at that time. We would set the parent or parents for counseling and would return the children when the parent or parents completed their counseling. We worked with the parents from four months to a year. Depended on the case some time we had the child or children in counseling depending on the case. Most of the time the children was return to the home.
Pros
When the children would return to their home.
Cons
When the children did not return home
Long Hours
CPS Investigator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2018
The pay is great but you work long hours ... very very very very high stress. Case load can get high and may get un manageable , but the pay is good. try it
Great place to work if you don't mind the hours.
Child Protective Services Investigator I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 27, 2018
Everyone helps everyone else out. Great work environment. It's a good balance of being in the office and out on your own. You must be able to work independently.
Intern
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJanuary 12, 2018
Great place and nice people, Its as much as you can expect to work in an office like this. Everyone treats you like family and its a great place but dont be fooled, when its time to get to work, eveyone is very serious.
productive investigator
APS In-home Investigator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 28, 2017
doing home visits
checking on clients monthly

love meeting new clients and families
creating positive rapport
documenting cases
timely and prompt
clear and precise information
detailed
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not enough pay
very stressful
Conservatorship Caseworker (Former Employee) –  LockhartDecember 21, 2017
High caseload and very stressful. If you have children I wouldn't recommend. Had an amazing supervisor which helped ease the stress. Always on the go and traveling around Texas.
Pros
great supervisor
Cons
work too many hours, in the legal system everything is the caseworker's fault
Must Love social Work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 18, 2017
I love social work. I think that those who don't love it would not enjoy this career. It is based in the community and involves working with community providers to offer services to clients.
Very demanding and stressful environment but also rewarding and fulfilling.
(Centralized Placement Coordinator) Specialist V (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2017
Matched potential foster parents with children who are in protective custody.

Completed month reports and stats .

My unit was more like family. We supported each other and we lived by the TEAM concept. (Together Each Accomplishing Much).

The hardest job was trying to placing difficult children in foster home and placing older children and lack of resources.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when a child has found a forever home and you were apart of that process .
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Flexible schedule but were on call 24 hours seven days a week.
It was a very rewarding position
Child Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXDecember 13, 2017
Working for the Department was rewarding when children were finally in a safe and stable environment, but it was also very stressful balancing home life with the requirements of the job with kids at home.
A place that allow one to change lives for the better.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 10, 2017
This job can be intense and unpredictable. Each day is different but rewarding. In this organization, one is afforded the opportunity to have a positive influence in not only the child's life, but the family as a whole. The hardest things about this job is that there will be times when one will feel as though they have failed the child and the family as well. In cases like this, it is important to know that you did the best that you could, learn from your experience, and continue to keep a positive attitude.
Pros
Being able to serve your clients
Cons
Knowing that you can't change everyones situation.
An education to assist children
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Liberty, TXDecember 6, 2017
I was educated on how children are processed into the CPS system; how they were assigned with a placement(s); how they got signed up with Medicaid; how the Case Workers were overloaded with work and attempting to keep scheduled visits with parents and children; how co-workers are not always professional and attitudes not good. Overall, I enjoyed my work, but had to constantly get updates from my supervisor and legal liaison, as to any new intakes, keeping my records and reports correct.
Pros
Education of an agency helping children
Cons
Working with unprofessional attitudes.
Do not work there
Human Service Technician (Case Worker Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 30, 2017
Long hours, stressful to the max, unorganized, too many cases, racism, cut throat, those kids aren't being cared for as should, lazy caseworkers, not enough pay, poor management, stressful
Stressful job. Had a great mentor and other staff always willing to help.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2017
A typical day included trying to complete on-going investigations with time sensitive deadlines while receiving a new case each day.
I realized the great need for child services and have much respect for all those working with children and families as abuse and neglect are more prevalent than expected.
I became informed of the large number of services the state of Texas provides for family and children, which is impressive.
The workplace culture is high stress, but everyone in all departments are willing to help whenever needed.
The hardest part of the job is that it is emotionally draining as well as dealing with uncooperative parents.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have success keeping families together through intervention and family services.
Pros
Benefits, Making a difference.
Cons
Stressful, Little work/life balance.
Quick Paced
CPS Conservatorship Specialist III (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 28, 2017
There was never the same day at the office, everyday was on a time crunch. Meetings, visits,court, paperwork. Worked very closely with professionals, and other departments.
Good Benefits, Stressful Environment
CVS Admin Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Borger, TX 79007November 21, 2017
The admin job is not quite as stressful as a caseworker position (which I did previous to this job); however, it comes with it's own stresses day to day. Overall, at my particular office, I was the admin for most of the office in addition to just my unit. They had their own admins, but they were either located outside of our office building or were too lazy to do anything. I enjoyed most of the coworkers in my unit but not so much the others in the office. That office had a high turnover rate for investigators so I went through a lot of paperwork on just new hires. DFPS provides amazing benefits. If I wasn't relocating to another state, I would have stayed there for a long time because they offer Student Loan Forgiveness through the government (stay there 10 years and pay on time with your loans and they forgive the rest). Overall, DFPS is a HIGHLY stressful company to work for and you have to be able to put your job before your family and anything else because that is just the nature of the job. I would highly recommend this to anyone who has already done everything in life that they want to do (vacations, traveling, grown children, etc.) because with this job, you are unlikely to be able to guarantee a vacation no matter how far in advanced you schedule it because emergencies happen and you have to be available 24/7. This includes admin positions (although not often) because you may have to go to the office to help with paperwork on a removal or to do child watch after a child has been removed but has no place to go. You absolutely have to have a passion for helping children  more... AND families.  less
Pros
Great benefits, great opportunities for advancement
Cons
Highly stressful environment