Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews in United States

It was an experince
DFPS CPS Conservatorship Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Decatur, TXMay 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with the clients and I enjoyed working with the community. I enjoyed learning policy and the fast paced environment.
Productive, challenging but helps to understand people from all different backgrounds.
Family Based Safety Services Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 9, 2016
Typical day is very busy, you have defeinitely manage your time wisely and make sure that you are familair with any and all changes with the Texas Law handbook. Keep up with you clients and their services and well being.
The job is fast paced and you find co-workers to lean on.
CVS Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 25, 2016
The key to this job is organization. The job is fast paced and you'll find you need a tight schedule. I have a wonderful supervisor that is a wonderful leader. The hardest part about my job doesn't have to do with me, it's the realization of what the children on my cases have lived through before they got to me. But then it's the realization of what they continue to live through if I don't care for their needs. Obviously, the most enjoyable part of my job are the days I have good news where families are coming back together. But those days are gradual throughout the case.
Not a good job.
Investigator III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 25, 2016
Not productive to sanity....... overworked..... overloaded..... Stressful. Too demanding. unorganized. poor management, long hours, low pay, severe accountability, non-rewarding. no morale
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
unorganized, overworked.
Learning
Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 15, 2016
Department of Family Services taught me alot about my job duty and how to treat others. I learned to how to complete alot of things that were all due at the same time.
no comment
no comment (Current Employee) –  no commentApril 5, 2016
I was able to learn a lot of positive work skills, it's a hard job to manage. You need to really be prepared of what you will be asked to do every day. It's not a 8-5 job. Long hours and lots of work to be done.
Poor excuse for an agency
CPS Investigator III (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 31, 2016
If you want covered healthcare and decent benefits, you will certainly find that here. However, be warned that it will not come without sacrifice. You will be worked, hard. You will have little to no free time. The amount of effort you put in will never be appreciated or recognized. You will often question those above you, in regards to their decisions and practices. You will not have support, from anyone above you, and likely not your equals either. If you make a mistake, you will be thrown under the bus, 100% of the time. This agency is filled with in-fighting and intimidation tactics; they prey on those who think differently and fight for clients' rights. If you keep your head down, do you work, make NO friends or even acquaintances, you will survive. Trust no one and keep ALL opinions to yourself. You will be talked about behind your back, you can be certain of that. Don't waste your time busting your butt to get your work done because it will go unnoticed. Others around you will get away with doing little to no work, while you will likely be scrutinized as you are working your butt off. They pick favorites here. They ostricize those who disagree with harsh actions against clientele. You have been warned.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Everything else
Clients deserve better
Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2016
Definitely not worth the stress and stupidity that you will be working under. Bullying environment that is supported from the local level all the way to Austin headquarters Hardest part of job is dealing with very poor leadership, lack of training, and a negative environment. The "in crowd" spies on others and targets people. Nepotism, top heavy management, supervisors are rude, inappropriate, controlling and love intimidation, retaliation runs rampant, and no support from HR. Gossip and rumor mill runs overtime. Very very toxic and upper management is encouraged to bully workers to protect one another.
Benefits
Cons
Toxic management. Unfair hiring practices.
Rewarding, enjoy making a positive difference in families
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 21, 2016
My experience as a CPS Investigator allowed me to interview clients and families to obtain the necessary facts and data and provide necessary documentation to aid in protecting children. I was able to present this information in legal documents for affidavits in legal proceedings, as well as cooperated with various state and law enforcement agencies. As a CPS Investigator, I have worked with many families in challenging situations, dealing sometimes in unpleasant circumstances. I have successfully handled myself, explained my role and the necessary steps for families to take to aid them in emotionally charged situations. I have also worked closely with my superiors, able to report any findings that did not meet guidelines and expectations
Pros
Rewarding, enjoy making a positive difference in families
Cons
Difficult situations at times, sometimes work/life balance is difficult to regulate
Review Summary
Child Protective Services Worker Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2016
I enjoyed the overall work enviroment. The office was fast paced and exciting. I interacted with many different indivduals and completed every task with excellence. I was well liked by my peers and clients.
Pros
The fast paced work enviroment
Cons
Non set schedule
Very stressful
Caseworker III (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Supervisor had no idea what she was doing, and turned over several units within a few years. Supervisor was not helpful in this stressful job, and did not provide support to her workers.
Pros
Work mobile
Cons
Terrible supervisor
High Stress Job with low compensation
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2016
This job is so stressful, not because of the type of work but the amount if work. Cases pile up and the expectation to complete them is unrealistic. The Supervisor's are often unsupportive and constantly throw their own teams under the bus when cases are not complete. You are more likely to consistently hear what you are doing wrong rather than doing right. New case workers aren't built up to be successful. Upper management does nothing to ensure retention of workers. The saying is "The agency will just replace you." The job could be rewarding but the culture prevents any true connection with families. It is a job with never ending hours. The pay is too low for the workload.
On the plus side, the insurance is great. Also the flexibility of being in the field can balance the long hours somewhat.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Highly stressful and unsupportive Management
Hardest Part of Job
inves (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2016
There is a great feeling in working with communities and helping families, however this job takes all your time. You have no life outside of work and deadlines are extremely hard to meet.
Close to my house,limited travel
eligibility specialist (Former Employee) –  Puerto RicoJanuary 15, 2016
Good place to start your career. Poor pay. expected more. repetitive job but good co workers. Close to my house,limited travel
Pros
acquaring experience
Cons
bad pay
Child Safety and numbers
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Jasper, TXJanuary 6, 2016
The hardest part of the job is leaving the job at work and not bringing it home. Its good to ensure child safety. Upper management focuses too much on numbers and not enough on child safety.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Never know when you will leave work
Child Protective Services is a fulfilling and flexible job.
CVS Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Angleton, TXDecember 30, 2015
Working for Child Protective Services I wear many hats such as a counselor to parents and children, a role model to parents and children, a lawyer advocating and testifying for parents and children in the court system. I schedule appointments and develop plans to reunify parents with their children. The hardest part of my day is watching children suffer at the hand of their parents making irresponsible choices and actions that effect their entire family. The best part of my day is when I get to see families reunified once the risk of abuse and neglect has been diminished.
Pros
I enjoy helping innocent children find their voice.
Cons
I don't like seeing families torn apart as a result of making bad decisions.
Fast Paced environment with extensive multitasking
Child Protective Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXDecember 9, 2015
Responsible for anywhere from a 15 to 25 caseload, each day may begin differently depending on the needs and priority of ones cases and tasks due within them. Individuals and their need determines he priority of task to be completed i.e. court appearances, permanency conferences, removal conferences(new cases), submit requests for parent/child visits, ensure child care for children's needs, education documentation, medical/dental/mental needs. Referral for services/assessments, maintain timely documentation (court reports/family plans/child plans/unit reports), case staffing with Supervisor/Program Director/and or Legal, and then there is the more than likely crisis situations that come up.

There is also the responsibility to ensure all key players are updated and informed of what is going in within the case.

Each case may differ in key players and is dependent on number of child, parents(how many fathers, mothers) attorneys on the case, Child Advocates, child caregivers(are children in same placement), other family members, service providers, etc. ( are there any special needs for the children/parents/caregiver?)

What I have learned is staying firm in my objective, ensuring that I am thoroughly trained and clearly communicate when I am unaware or do not have clear understanding on the how-to. I will continue to clearly communicate my needs in order to be successful in my responsibilities. I grown in the area of understanding that truly can not do it all in one day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to work along side a few awesome individuals
  more... who have a passion, such as myself, for the safety and well being of children and the meaning of family. Individuals with the drive and desire to not only strengthening families with the goal of reunification, but to also encourage and educate individuals to do better even if reunification is not possible.  less
Pros
Watching transformation of growth in families
Cons
There will always be a crisis however, being supported and provided positive affirmations, every once in a while, can minimize the sting of the many adversities experienced in this job.
This job is not for everyone and there is a 40% turnover within the first year of employment.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Canton, TXNovember 22, 2015
This agency does the best it can, and there are individuals who are truly dedicated to the job, but it needs an overhaul.
There are supervisors who have no idea how to supervise, do not care to know how to supervise, and who are there for a paycheck.
Pros
Good retirement benefits and opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Takes too long to make changes and work/life is difficult to balance.
case worker
Investigator III (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 15, 2015
investigate child abuse or neglect. take appropriate matters into your own hands regarding the safe of the child. keeping up to date with e-mails, phone calls and client visits
Pros
can work in the field, endless OT
Cons
poor upper management, programs all run differently
Child Protective Services
CPS Investigator III (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 6, 2015
This was by far the best job and experience I have ever had. The only reason that I left is because many people were quitting and the caseload was extremely high for us all. I was also burnt out and needed a break. However, I learned the most by working for this agency and it has provided me with opportunities in other areas of my career by working for CPS. The culture atmosphere is great and the morale is high. There is diversity in this agency and I was able to make alot of network and connections.
Pros
High morale, flexibility, paid gas mileage and cell phone, opportunity for growth and advancement.
Cons
ovewhelming, high case load, heavy turn over rate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department Of Family And Protective Services. Our community is ready to answer.