Department Of Family And Protective Services Employee Reviews

Stressful environment, very little personal time, unpredictable hours
CPS Specialist I (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Helping families, coworkers are very helpful
Cons: Very stressful
Casework is not design for women with a family, there is very little time to spend with them. The work hours are very unpredictable. If you have removal you may not make it home until 12am and have to go to court the next day at 8am.
Very emotionally challenging and demanding
Team leader, Works (Current Employee), Dallas TexasAugust 10, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: stressors dealing with the families
The mission is a great one! To protect the unprotected has meaning behind it. This is a very emotionally challenging career and has it's ups and downs. The most rewarding part about the job is the compassion shown toward the people and the families that are impacted positively.
Hardworking, Very Confindent in my particular skills
FBSS Advance Specialist (Current Employee), Granbury, TXAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Helping some parents to be better parents, and placing some children into homes that are deserved
Cons: Removing children from their homes because of living conditions, and parental neglect seeing the children cry
One on one home visits with clients, safety assessments of each home, answer calls and texts, staff with supervisor for direction, be on call for any possibility of removal of children, documenting, keeping – more... accounts up to date, keeping up with clients and their schedules making sure they attend the classes asked of them and they are not using drugs, drug testing.

Learned:
Things cant always be always be perfect, time is more important than perfection, anything van be fixed, everyone lies, managing accounts working programs effectively and training others.

Best Part:
placing a child with someone that is wanting and deserving of a child while the parents refuse to care for a child and seeing them flourish in their environment, with families who care for them the way that they deserve to be cared for.

The Hardest Part of My Job:
Walking away from a child who you believe isnt being treated appropriately, or might be in danger of harm in the future and knowing that i can not doing anything due to laws and employer restrictions (in which has my hands tied) and keeping me from protecting said children from something bad if it hasnt already happened and not been reported.

Co-Workers:
Some of my fellow employees are angels, also have taught me how to handle some difficult situations, also how to prioritize appropriately, others have taught me learn when there are times things can be discussed, and when they cannot be discussed, there is a time and place for everything and not to trust just anyone you do not truly know or anything said by said people, also to stile be cautions and considerate of my self and others. – less
Good entery level job
Investigator II (Former Employee), Tyler, TexasJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: stressful enviorment
I learned a lot about working with families working at this job. This job has good career advancements as well as good benefits. Working this job you have to be able to deal with stress and the fast pace that it requires.
Stressful environment and not because of the case load
Conservatorship Worker II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 9, 2015
The Department needs to try very hard to retain employees and this comes from the lack of encouragement and support they feel from superiors. I enjoyed the job and loved my work I did but in the end policy and lack of trying to get children home affected me in a way I could no longer work there without compromising my values and Morales
Not a place to work if you have a family
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 3, 2015
Pros: State pays for health insurance, retirement plan
Cons: Excess amount of driving, poor leadership, long hours
There is not a strong foundation of leadership at this place. My supervisor was nice but was not meant to be a supervisor. We were given laptops to update notes while in the field (whatever). There – more... are many days that I worked at home without pay to make sure that I followed the guidelines of the agency, because there was not any time to update notes while driving miles and miles to homes or schools. I did not have a life while working here. The worst part was hearing that the my supervisor and her friend who was also a supervisor had a bet going regarding who would quit their job next. That is not what a call a good leader and it was disgusting. – less
Fast paced with no typical day.
Investigator (Former Employee), Greenville, TXMay 7, 2015
Each day was an adventure. New people, new cases, and you never knew where the day might end. Sitting still was not usual unless you were documenting, and there was a lot of documentation.
Not the best place to wok
Conservatorship Specialist II (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 10, 2015
Pros: flexible job
Cons: stress, pay rate, workload
I spent one year working a case manager for the state and came to find that it was not the place for me. When I first came aboard all I would hear from tenured workers were how stressful and how new workers – more... would be burnt out after a while. Everyone seemed to have a negative out look and cause the whole unit to be filled with negative people and negative energy. Management was awful, and acted like children. If you did your job and didn't gossip with them, you were treated as a outcast. There is very little support and will have to figure things out as best as you can. – less
Different Everyday Managing Caseload
Child Protective Services Investigator (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Day to day this job includes:
interviewing children and families
staffing
court
meetings
placement of children

I report directly to my supervisor.
Each supervisor is in charge of a Unit of 4-8 workers – more...
The hardest part of this job is work/life balance due to overtime and on-calls.
The most enjoyable part of this job is working with the children and families to help create a safe and stable life for them. Everyday is new and different with opportunity to learn. – less
Not For Everyone
Investigator (Former Employee), TexasFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: some work at home time.
Cons: heavy workload, no personal life, supervisors often know little more than caseworkers, the pay is inadequate
This is a VERY important job. A child abuse investigator is the face of the Texas DFPS. You have to have nerves of steel and compassion for your fellow human. You will get to know people at a very intimate – more... but professional level and see things you never thought existed. People who are reported for abuse and neglect are everywhere. They could be your next door neighbor.

Management is very spotty. Some days you'll get supervision that helps you succeed. Most days you'll get supervision that contradicts whatever guidance you were given on those other days. Sometimes a supervisor knows less than what you need to succeed and they will tell you to go look it up in policy. Program directors(PD) are only concerned about numbers: how many cases are open, how many are over 45 days, how many you can close, etc. PDs do not care about caseworkers and are eager to keep things status quo to make sure you suffer as much as they did as caseworkers.

The hardest part of the job is staying organized. If you don't have a system in place to tackle every case, you will fail miserably and it will take you weeks to dig yourself out. The caseload is merciless and it will take a massive toll on you physically and emotionally. Then you have to deal with the clients...

The most enjoyable part of the job? You'll make good friends. You have to or you'll never make it. – less
Good place to work. Very understanding of life out of the workplace in regards to family or continuing your education.
Human Service Technician III (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Even though I was in this department for a short time the manager and co-workers were very friendly and inviting. This was a wonderful place to work.
Productive work place
Unit Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Houston TXJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: flexible and family oriented
Cons: kaios amongst the units personnel
TDFPS is a great place to work if you love dealing with different people, and working in a dynamic office environment.

The work can be tedious.... you are trained in every aspect of the job. People are friendly and respectful.
Stressful work environment
CPS Investigative Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Worth TXJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: unmanageable case loads
Case loads are too high. A typical day is 10 hours or more; however there is flexibility with your job to leave early the following day. There is a lack of support from upper management
Interesting work that never gets boring.
Conservatorship Worker (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: i get to help children and families.
Cons: the work is never ending, no matter how much overtime you put in.
A typical day could involve many things from testifying in a court hearing to traveling across the county to place a child in a new home. I communicate with a variety of people and community professionals – more... including: parents, children, caregivers, attorneys, judges, psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, and many more. It can be a challenge to try and plan your day, due to things like a child blowing their placement on your case load and other emergency situations that come up with your cases. This has been a challenging job at times, but I have and continue to learn many things on a professional level as well as a personal one, daily. At times management has been very helpful; but I believe overall more mentoring and training would be beneficial for this position. It has been one that I have taught myself the majority of my work through trial and error. Tenured co-workers can be very helpful. This is a team effort, and everyone either is or has been in the same boat. I believe one key to success in this position is being very organized and keeping a detailed calendar. It seems the most difficult part of this job is trying to get everything done and balance work with home life. The most enjoyable part of the work is dealing with and helping my families and children. This takes hard work in the beginning sometimes, due to the negative connotation people have of this position from the start; but I have built a good relationship with all of my children and parents. This has been my strength in holding this position. I find this very helpful in their success, and the rewards of seeing them succeed have been great and even kept me motivated to do my very best at times. – less
Tough
CPS - investigators, family based and intake (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 5, 2014
Don't go into this line of work lightly. It will change you in many ways. It is very rewarding at times and heartbreaking at others.
Culture not receptive to fresh prospectives
Quality Assurance/ Risk Management Specialist (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 3, 2014
Pros: moderate distance from home
Cons: organizational culture
Job Work/Life Balance 3 stars
Compensation/Benefits 4 stars
Job Security/Advancement 3 stars
Management 3 stars
Job Culture 3 stars
Challenging and Rewarding Field
Caseworker- CVS Specialist IV (Current Employee), Killeen, TXDecember 1, 2014
Pros: not micromanaged
Cons: extensive traveling
DFPS is a high energy and challenging work place.
Work with a diverse cultural society.
My coworker are helpful and educated people and are team players.
The hardest part of my job is termination of parental rights.
The most enjoyable is reunification of children back to their parents.
Friendly work environment
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 23, 2014
Great environment to foster family spirit. However, not enough opportunity to advance and salary not comparable with equally qualified persons in the field.
social worker
Family based Safety Services Worker (Former Employee), corpus christi tx 78416October 20, 2014
A typical day of work is no day was the same. Everyday was different tasks and responsiblities. Working well with others was important, because we all need to be able to support and work as a team. My – more... boss was good person and had a wealth of knowledge. She has worked as a social worker for many years, and she is the type of woman you have to look up to and respect. Hardest part of the job is seeing certain things when you deal with child abuse and neglect. There are certain things you just cannot control. Most enjoyable moment is knowing that you touch people lives and that you have a purpose. – less
Good stepping stone job
Adult Protective Services Supervisor (Current Employee), Plano, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Overall satisfactory but the work culture is not great. Pay does not match the job responsibilities