Department of Finance Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSOctober 10, 2017
Best Manager I had in my life, i don't need to work a lot only depends on Professors reach out to me. I can learn much financial skill set through assisting professors.
Interesting and challenging field.
Secretary Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Rio Piedras, PROctober 10, 2017
It is a big challenge to work finance in Puerto Rico's economy in 2017. People you can trust are required and very important to meet the overall objectives of the organization, also people who believe in you and in your capabilities. It is a special place with special people. The most enjoyable part of these years has been to create many new projects.
Senior Inspector (Promotion) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 25, 2017
Very informative. You will be able to take the skills learned anywhere and apply them because they were very informative and easy to adapt. A typical day was going to different locations to cite, and meeting new and different people. Customer service is very important inorder to make the job go smooth.
Public Organization that is influence by constant changes of administrative staff and Board leadership.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 24, 2017
It is a School System that focuses mainly on instructional staff as it relates to raises, professional growth and continued education opportunities. They have made some improvements for non-instructional staff over the years, improving professional administrative staff salaries but average for non-degreed support staff.

Leadership and goals are constantly changing and may be a challenge to keep up with. Politics has a strong influence. Policies are sometimes carried out inconsistently, based on interpretation, preferences and individual leadership.

It is family friendly with great holidays, annual and sick leave but may limit career growth and opportunities for non-instructional professionals
Pros
Holidays, vacation, annual & sick leave, health benefits
Cons
Limited advancement opportunity
Well balanced job
Clerical Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2017
You get to do a little bit of everything here in the Department of Finance. You get a different vibe with every unit you go to. Some is good and some is bad. You also have to deal with certain people.
Same as above
Financial Generalist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was providing assistant to the public in complying with the Court's administrative rules and answered inquiries regarding specific cases.
Opportunity for promotion
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 5, 2017
The opportunity for advancements. Management was concerned about our welfare and was quick to resolve every issues. Workers were friendly and greeted each other by first name. With a promotion there was a rise in salary.
Pros
someone would ocassionally bring snacks in
Cons
coffee break
Quite and routine
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tinian, MPDecember 25, 2016
I enjoyed that I was able to work alone. And it was at this job that I discovered I enjoyed working with numbers. I had found my passion in accounting & business.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
None really
Very productive and great on communication.
Accountant 1 (Former Employee) –  Saipan, MPNovember 4, 2016
I enjoyed working for DOF because they gave me the opportunity to learn finances and be able to help others with questions and concerns they have. They have taught me so much as to how to prepare reports, the importance of journal entry, and the importance of federally funded account.
Pros
Great communication and very friendly.
Cons
Conflict of interests.
Gain knowledge with tax returns schedules
Auditor 1 (Former Employee) –  Saipan, Northern Marianas IslandsJuly 11, 2016
Assisting Compliance Branch with their complex tax issues
Gain knowledge with the tax schedules
No training, learned on your own
Asked if we can have a short meeting daily
No heads up, they just transfer all calls to you
Learning how to prepared returns, such as, 1040, 1120, & the schedules
Benefits
Cons
Politics, only if they know you.
This is my first and last job, that's why i've learned a lot from this Company like from clerical job to entry level skilled job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  ManilaMarch 6, 2016
Since i've worked here, I'm doing a clerical job like, typing correspondence, answering phone calls, filing, indexing and other related matter with regards to position for what i am employing with them, I have a good relationship with my co-workers, my superiors wherever I can assigned to different section or departments, the hardest part of my job when giving me a promotion, aside from my regular duties,they gave me additional work that fits with my promotion and the most enjoyble with my job,mostly of my co-workers i became a special and closest friends 'til now
Learning and working is Productive and Fun here
Research Aide (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 28, 2016
Working here has been the best. I have worked with some of the best in the Field of Finance, got to learn a lot. friendly working atmosphere and very open to new queries.
Pros
Professors and staff are very reliable and helpfull
Cons
Nothing wrong to say about this. Absolutely the best place to learn and work.
Okay place to work for
Accountant Finance (Current Employee) –  VIDecember 1, 2015
The Department of finance is an okay place to work for but advancement is a bit slow or nothing at all. There is a lot that can be learned in the department.
Government Work
Help Desk Technician City (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2015
This is a government job with interesting coworkers and daily routine. I enjoyed working in the section and learned a great deal of information.
Pros
Cons
Routine
Uplifting and Productive workplace
Clerical Associate III (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 25, 2015
Working for the Dept of Finance is educational. You learn about property taxes and the laws within in the city. You learn what is important to the citizens that live in New York City. The management is helpful and willing to step in when needed. The co-workers work as a team. The hardest part is getting certain people to understand the way the agency works.
DOF is one of the best govt institution in Govt of the Philippines
Administrative Officer V (Current Employee) –  Manila, ARJune 21, 2015
My day starts and ends with constant communication with my co-employees relative to their concerns on their benefits, relations with management, requirements for travel authorities. Most of the time, I am preparing communications/memorandums on HR policies, information dissemination.

I have learned that each employee is unique and each has his/her potentials that when recognized fully or when management has given enough training/skills enhancement, that training will also be given back to the organization.

The hardest part of my job is when there's a need to fire or drop a certain employee after thorough evaluation that the same employee is not already fit to work or has violated regulations, legal enough to drop him/her from the rolls.

Most enjoyable part of the job is whenever you have helped someone solved his concerns or at least find a way to better his conditions and whenever I have contributed or drafted some policies that are accepted by the "higher" bosses improving the state of the organization.
Pros
Security of Tenure
Cons
Lack of Medical Benefits/Health care insurance
It was fun because WE made it fun!
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs National Park, ARApril 30, 2015
The Revenue office is a difficult place to work, most customers come in angry and you have to know how to deal. I learned different coping skills. My co- workers, I could not have done the job with out them, they taught me all I knew. The hardest part of the job was balancing your drawer at 6pm, especially after you have taken in about $50,000.00 in sales tax etc..... Being with the public.
Pros
insurance, benefits
Cons
Cramped working area
Secure place to work
City Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 20, 2015
Good benefits, salary isn't the greatest. Your job is secure once you pass probation period of one year. Good position if you have small children.
Nice place to work
Sr Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Responsible for incorporating Real Property Transfer Tax ( RPTT ) function into current Audit application. RPTT improved quality and productivity of creation of Audit-worthy cases and provided case management tools used to track the entire audit lifecycle for each case.
• Gathered business requirements, initiated and conducted user meetings and coordinated projects
• Created scope documents, business (BRD) and functional (FRD) specifications and business design documents
• Wrote screen mock-ups, user training document, test plan, test scripts for SIT, UAT, and regression testing
• Performed Data mining and mapping, Data governance, used SQL to extract data for analysis to determine data requirements within application functions
• Used Business Intelligence Tools such as Excel, Pivot Tables, Vlookup, Macros, etc.
• Created System presentation for the user committee and lead training sessions
Flowcharting using VISIO, Prepared Documentation
Productive and fun place because I have my own computer
Tourist Information, Sales & Receipts (Former Employee) –  Koror, PalauJuly 20, 2014
A typical day at work is file documents such as checks and check stubs for the government. I gathered quotes from different stores and purchased orders. My co- workers were friendly but they were very serious about their work. They began to trust me so they would go out to eat lunch I would stay at the office and assist any customers that needed help. The hardest part of the job was when I was hired there was an audit so I had to provide specific files to the auditor, but what I enjoyed most was on every Fridays we got off at work at 4:00 P.M.