Department of Finance Employee Reviews in United States

This is my first and last job, that's why i've learned a lot from this Company like from clerical job to entry level skilled job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  ManilaMarch 6, 2016
Since i've worked here, I'm doing a clerical job like, typing correspondence, answering phone calls, filing, indexing and other related matter with regards to position for what i am employing with them, I have a good relationship with my co-workers, my superiors wherever I can assigned to different section or departments, the hardest part of my job when giving me a promotion, aside from my regular duties,they gave me additional work that fits with my promotion and the most enjoyble with my job,mostly of my co-workers i became a special and closest friends 'til now
DOF is one of the best govt institution in Govt of the Philippines
Administrative Officer V (Current Employee) –  Manila, ARJune 21, 2015
My day starts and ends with constant communication with my co-employees relative to their concerns on their benefits, relations with management, requirements for travel authorities. Most of the time, I am preparing communications/memorandums on HR policies, information dissemination.

I have learned that each employee is unique and each has his/her potentials that when recognized fully or when management has given enough training/skills enhancement, that training will also be given back to the organization.

The hardest part of my job is when there's a need to fire or drop a certain employee after thorough evaluation that the same employee is not already fit to work or has violated regulations, legal enough to drop him/her from the rolls.

Most enjoyable part of the job is whenever you have helped someone solved his concerns or at least find a way to better his conditions and whenever I have contributed or drafted some policies that are accepted by the "higher" bosses improving the state of the organization.
Pros
Security of Tenure
Cons
Lack of Medical Benefits/Health care insurance
It was fun because WE made it fun!
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs National Park, ARApril 30, 2015
The Revenue office is a difficult place to work, most customers come in angry and you have to know how to deal. I learned different coping skills. My co- workers, I could not have done the job with out them, they taught me all I knew. The hardest part of the job was balancing your drawer at 6pm, especially after you have taken in about $50,000.00 in sales tax etc..... Being with the public.
Pros
insurance, benefits
Cons
Cramped working area
Learning and working is Productive and Fun here
Research Aide (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 28, 2016
Working here has been the best. I have worked with some of the best in the Field of Finance, got to learn a lot. friendly working atmosphere and very open to new queries.
Pros
Professors and staff are very reliable and helpfull
Cons
Nothing wrong to say about this. Absolutely the best place to learn and work.
Okay place to work for
Accountant Finance (Current Employee) –  VIDecember 1, 2015
The Department of finance is an okay place to work for but advancement is a bit slow or nothing at all. There is a lot that can be learned in the department.
Secure place to work
City Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 20, 2015
Good benefits, salary isn't the greatest. Your job is secure once you pass probation period of one year. Good position if you have small children.
Uplifting and Productive workplace
Clerical Associate III (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 25, 2015
Working for the Dept of Finance is educational. You learn about property taxes and the laws within in the city. You learn what is important to the citizens that live in New York City. The management is helpful and willing to step in when needed. The co-workers work as a team. The hardest part is getting certain people to understand the way the agency works.
Government Work
Help Desk Technician City (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2015
This is a government job with interesting coworkers and daily routine. I enjoyed working in the section and learned a great deal of information.
Pros
Cons
Routine
Best company I have worked in, good management team
Network Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Benin west AfricaMarch 23, 2013
Interesting benefits, good management, good working environment
Nice place to work
Sr Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Responsible for incorporating Real Property Transfer Tax ( RPTT ) function into current Audit application. RPTT improved quality and productivity of creation of Audit-worthy cases and provided case management tools used to track the entire audit lifecycle for each case.
• Gathered business requirements, initiated and conducted user meetings and coordinated projects
• Created scope documents, business (BRD) and functional (FRD) specifications and business design documents
• Wrote screen mock-ups, user training document, test plan, test scripts for SIT, UAT, and regression testing
• Performed Data mining and mapping, Data governance, used SQL to extract data for analysis to determine data requirements within application functions
• Used Business Intelligence Tools such as Excel, Pivot Tables, Vlookup, Macros, etc.
• Created System presentation for the user committee and lead training sessions
Flowcharting using VISIO, Prepared Documentation
it was a fun place to work
Secretary/Administrative Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2013
A typical day at work was always busy, I had to order supply, type letters, email, fax and copy and distribute paychecks. I learned to help the public with the City taxes and how they are applied to their properites. we all enjoy each other company and we all helped each other when needed. The management were a delight to work for. The hardest part of the job was not being promoted to a higher position unless you past a test. The must enjoyable part of the job was when we all got together to celebrate a holiday or someone birthday.
Pros
we got little birthday gifts and free lunches on special occasion or were allow to leave early
Cons
short breaks
DOF creates such a diversified and harmonious environment for employees.
Tax Auditor 1 (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New yorkApril 1, 2013
I was a City Tax Auditor with DOF 16 years ago. Luckily, my superviisor patiently trained me. I was happily working there until I had to leave the job to care for my children. I am a team player and love to meet people during the audit.

After 16 years, I still want to go back to my old job - miss my co-workers, supervisor, manager and nature of the work. I had applied two times but to no avail.I guess the competition out there is greater than I know of. Can someone help me how to get back into DOF?

The announcemnt of Tax Auditor 1 job specially indicates that the job is for DOF employees or previous applicants only. Can someone from DOF answer my question? I applied for the EXAM 2042 in May 2012 but received a rejection letter, which did not state the reason of rejection.. I did not try to appeal either. Woudl that rjection letter automatically disqualify me to apply for the recent job announcemnt?
Productive and family oriented
Office Assistant/Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 13, 2013
Working in finance is amazing. I love that we are like a family and we all teach each other what we know and have learned while working in this department. A typical day at work consists of answering the phone and processing all mail delivered to our department. There really is no hard part in my responsibilities at work but it can get busy and a little overwhelming around a particular season. Over all it’s a learning experience for me.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
unfair management
Pleasant atmoshere and a productive working enviroment.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2012
A Typical day is moslty clerical work, I learned to analyze information,sort and handle the input of varies data. I learned that you have to be a team player as well a diverse individual. The hardest part of my job is, that sometimes I hate to leave because is there is so much more that can be done, and I am the kind of person that enjoy working.The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have done the best that I could do , to get the done done.
Pros
good astomphere, steady work, and pleasant co-workers.
Cons
we might have some co-worker's who may delay our work because they were absent, but we get the done done anyway.
Productive and fun place because I have my own computer
Tourist Information, Sales & Receipts (Former Employee) –  Koror, PalauJuly 20, 2014
A typical day at work is file documents such as checks and check stubs for the government. I gathered quotes from different stores and purchased orders. My co- workers were friendly but they were very serious about their work. They began to trust me so they would go out to eat lunch I would stay at the office and assist any customers that needed help. The hardest part of the job was when I was hired there was an audit so I had to provide specific files to the auditor, but what I enjoyed most was on every Fridays we got off at work at 4:00 P.M.
Productive and a fun place to work at.
Clerk (summer) (Former Employee) –  St.Thomas, V.IJuly 17, 2013
A typical day at work was entering clients files into an excel worksheet and having fun doing it. I learned more about excel. Management and my co-workers were excellent to work with, I was able to go to them whenever I had a question. I did not encounter any hard part about my job. The most enjoyable part of my job was my encounter with my supervisor and my co-workers.
Assist in reconciliation and analysis of financial statements
Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 1, 2012
I would be given my task for the day which consisted of reconciling financial statements and reporting them to my adviser. Also, we would sit down and go over the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the current year and find discrepancies in trends relating to previous years. Data entry was also apart of my intern experience where I had to print out statements from the accounting system and enter them into an Excel file in proper format.
Pros
gained valuable experience
Cons
i only worked 3 times a week
Challenging and Rewarding
Business Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  City of Richmond VirginiaMay 21, 2012
A typical day in the department of finance is always chanllenging. Our 1# goal is to make sure each taxpayers inquiries and issues have been resolved to their satisfaction while maintaining our fiscal resposibility to the Commonwealth Virginia and City of Richmond.
Pros
resource materials are readly available
Cons
politics can make resolving issues difficult
Productive.
Project Supervision Specialist (Former Employee) –  Samar and Leyte Provinces, Region 8, PhilippinesMarch 9, 2013
My responsibilities as Project Supervision Specialist are appropriate for my previous experience. The experience improved my management skills, relation with co-staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was travel and meeting people.
Fast-paced, productive, group project
Summer College Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 26, 2012
The work place was fast-paced and plenty of customers needed to be assisted. Everyday was productive because the customers were satisfied. A major group project was completed before its deadline, which helped to make the company more successful.
Pros
meeting new people, fitting hours into schedule
Cons
some customers were not kind