Department of General Services

Department of General Services Employer Reviews

Very busy place with multiple issues at one time
Maintenance Supervisor, I (Former Employee), Glen Burnie, MDDecember 1, 2014
Pros: generated comp time on a regular basis
Cons: alot of issues with security at building due to the cliental that would freqeunt the facility
Steady pace daily between request for repairs or services that were needed for tenants. I liked the job as well as the pace including being on call at night.
Was a great job
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: getting to work on time
I worked with a lot of great people and learned great life lessons from the people that I worked with.
Productive place.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 7, 2014
Co- worker are nice and we work hard but also have light fun,But always get the work don on or before the deadlines.
Great job stability and advancement opportunities
Staff Services Analyst (Former Employee), Sacramento and West Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: free on site gym
As a Personnel Analyst I worked very closely with upper management as well as provided personnel related information and services to employees on a daily basis. I learned the importance of my role within our division because I was dealing with the livelihood of our employees and took that very seriously. Over the years, I worked with many great managers who taught me a lot. I had the pleasure of working with and assisting wonderful people throughout the state and made many great working and personal relationships. The most difficult part of the job was having to cut through so much "red tape", so to speak, in order to provide services in a timely manner. I got the most enjoyment out of being able to help employees in their career advancement and seeing a part of their dreams come true.
DGS
Intern (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 24, 2014
Pros: i was able to set my own hours.
Cons: unpaid
A typical day at this internship consisted of character building tasks as well as skill building tasks. This allowed me to prioritize and balance between projects. I learned to pay attention to detail, manage my time, write press releases, articles, and media advisories. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie with the employees.
CUSTOMER SERVICE WAREHOUSE
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WAREHOUSE CLERK (Former Employee), Fullerton, CASeptember 24, 2013
Cons: advancement
DISPATCH ALL WORK ALL TO DRIVER AND LET MANGER KNOW WHAT MILITARY BASE THEY NEED TO SEE TO CHECK OUT THE DONATION OF FURNITURE TO SEE WORTH SCHEDULING A PICK UP TO THAT BASE. MADE SURE DRIVER MADE DELIVERY ON TIME. LET CUSTOMER KNOW ITEM WERE IN. LOCATE ITEMS FOR CUSTOMER . UPS TRUCK ARRIVED LOAD UP SMALL TRUCK WITH FORKLIFT OR MANUEL PALLET JACK. PULL ORDERS,PACKED AND SHIP ORDERS. STAGE PALLETS CORRECT LOCATION AND SHRINK WRAP PALLET
nice place to work
Laboratory Research Technician (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: ok benefits
Cons: nowhere to move up.
Nice laid back easy going atmosphere. good benefits, paid holidays. just was nowhere to move up too. eight years in same position.
great place to work
Legislative Clerk (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAAugust 5, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
Enjoyed working their, but it was a seasonal position. The co-workers were all really nice and the management team was awesome.
Great place to work.
Maintenance (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 7, 2013
I when I get inside my work day starts. I sweep floors then I empty all trash cans.Then I prepare my supplies for cleaning the building inside and out. Management is great and I have some wonderful coworkers. There is no hard part to the job if you keep your building and grounds nice and clean daily. The most enjoyable part is watching the family come into a clean and safe envorniment and enjoy their selves.
Supervising and coordinating the emissions program for 3,000 city vehicles.
Supervisor (Current Employee), 3800 E. Biddlle StreetApril 26, 2013
Pros: flexible work shift
Cons: expensive heath care
A typical day at work for me is busy, fast paced, multi-tasking and interacting with a diverse group City employees both internal and external. I am assigned to General Services, Fleet Managment which is the main repair facility that repairs City vehicles. My main function is supervising and coordinating the emissions testing program for 3,000 city vehicles, and maintaining a log for accuracy. My job is enjoyable as well as demanding, prioritizing and meeting all deadlines. The hardest part of my job is not getting the cooperation that is needed to see positive end results in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people every day.
Good environment to work.
Laborer (Current Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: fun easygoing environment.
A typical day at work is driving around the City of Albany repairing damaged roads with overlays and filling potholes. Learned various skills pertaining to paving, repairing roads, and the machinery involved in the process. Most of my coworkers were very hardworking and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the heat in the summer. The most enjoyable part of the job is driving around, being out and about around the city.
very tricky enviornment
CAPITAL PROJECT MANAGER, DC Government (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 9, 2012
One should be very careful working with any government agency
Worst career experience I've ever had. Very unprofessional management team with zero "real-world" (i.e., private sector) purchasing experience.
Associate Commodity Manager (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PAApril 6, 2012
Pros: public sector benefits
Cons: too many to list - poor management, low morale, favoritism, underqualified people with big egos, budget cuts & pay freezes, cronyism & nepotism
I have an MBA, yet I reported to a high school graduate, with no private sector experience at all, minimal management experience, and certainly no professional qualifications in procurement. This is how bad it is working in state government, where it clearly isn't what you know that counts, but rather who you know (or whose campaign to whom you donate).

I worked with some good people who reported to me who are themselves far more qualified than our current crew of "management" personnel. Things are so awful there in terms of morale that I'm glad I'm no longer there. I dreaded going into the place.