Department of General Services Employee Reviews

Fast-paced environment!
eVA Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 11, 2017
Help desk position receiving inbound calls for procurement system. Fast-paced and exciting environment to work in. Management easy to work with and co-workers very helpful.
Pros
Great environment
Property Controller (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 21, 2017
Great place to work and a lot of co-workers in which you can learn from. A lot of room from growth if your willing to take advantage of learning and signing up for classes to better yourself.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
limited term
A great place to work within the state for those interested in procurement processes.
Procurement Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2017
The Central Procurement Office offers a great work environment for those interested in and have experience doing procurement activities with the state.
Great Job
eVA Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 17, 2016
Fun job, fast paced environment. Training was very poor. No advancement opportunities, poor management. The office environment was depressing. Zero teamwork.
Chaotic and under staff work environment.
Data/IT Office Support (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 13, 2016
Insufficient training. Less than 15 data entry personnel for the whole state of Virginia.Due to a lack of staff expected to work over and work holidays. Very stressful environment and due to the work load a lot of employees ate their lunch at their desk.
Various Job duties providing a large range of experience
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2016
Cross training is needed hence this allows the work flow to continue it's fast pace of completion. This provides more knowledge and work experience within the other sections.
Pros
Position Advancement upward mobility
Cons
Parking availability
Excellent
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 30, 2016
I really really really enjoyed working here. Everyone was super friendly. I would recommend this company to anyone. Family oriented place to work. Awesome place
Productive and innovative
Cable Technician - Flex Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2016
I enjoy this job because I work inside and outside. I meet new people each day as I install cable for them.

I have learned the many facets of fiber and cell use.

This job is flexible, I can work independent or with a team which I like.
Pros
Flexible ours
Cons
The weather sometimes can put a strain on installing for a client.
The office was a great place to work
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2015
The typical work day was busy and productive. I was a great environment to work and my co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
Great working environment to work
Cons
The job was temporary
Staff is very kind and understanding
Intern (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2015
The people were very nice it was pretty busy most days my hardest part of the job was that I didn't have access to all the floors that I needed to go on.
Good place to be a part of
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 12, 2015
I have worked with D.G.S. for almost three years, they are a great state agency, but I am interested in working in a department that has more room for advancement.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
not much room for advancement
perfectly paced great work enviroment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2015
I liked working for the state because it was paced perfect not to slow and not to fast I had a great group of co-workers and we all did our job very well and the fact that I could work alone some days and never get overwhelmed with work made it nice.
Pros
great hours and overtime
Cons
we didnt work weekends
people were great
Temporary Fleet Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2015
I was hired knowing it was going to be temporary. I enjoyed it but did not work there long enough to judge it the union did not allow me to work any longer due to contracts
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2015
Lot of telephone calls from insurance companies and state employees wanting information on the status of their claim

Lot of e-mails to be answered
Keeping up with all the accident folders from past to present

Learned a lot about insurance and working with different people
and working on the computer and the different software.

Co-workers like family
Feeling comfortable reading in front of people was an adjustment

Closing out a file after working with that claim for awhile.
When I accomplish what I set out to do for that day

Great supervisors and management since I have been employed there.
Pros
Comfortable and laid back atmosphere
Cons
Can get stressful at times
Very busy place with multiple issues at one time
Maintenance Supervisor, I (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDDecember 1, 2014
Steady pace daily between request for repairs or services that were needed for tenants. I liked the job as well as the pace including being on call at night.
Pros
generated comp time on a regular basis
Cons
alot of issues with security at building due to the cliental that would freqeunt the facility
Was a great job
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2014
I worked with a lot of great people and learned great life lessons from the people that I worked with.
Pros
getting to work on time
Productive place.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2014
Co- worker are nice and we work hard but also have light fun,But always get the work don on or before the deadlines.
Great job stability and advancement opportunities
Staff Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento and West Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2014
As a Personnel Analyst I worked very closely with upper management as well as provided personnel related information and services to employees on a daily basis. I learned the importance of my role within our division because I was dealing with the livelihood of our employees and took that very seriously. Over the years, I worked with many great managers who taught me a lot. I had the pleasure of working with and assisting wonderful people throughout the state and made many great working and personal relationships. The most difficult part of the job was having to cut through so much "red tape", so to speak, in order to provide services in a timely manner. I got the most enjoyment out of being able to help employees in their career advancement and seeing a part of their dreams come true.
Pros
Free on site gym
Dgs
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 24, 2014
A typical day at this internship consisted of character building tasks as well as skill building tasks. This allowed me to prioritize and balance between projects. I learned to pay attention to detail, manage my time, write press releases, articles, and media advisories. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie with the employees.
Pros
I was able to set my own hours.
Cons
Unpaid
Customer service warehouse
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WAREHOUSE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CASeptember 24, 2013
Dispatch all work all to driver and let manger know what military base they need to see to check out the donation of furniture to see worth scheduling a pick up to that base. Made sure driver made delivery on time. Let customer know item were in. Locate items for customer . Ups truck arrived load up small truck with forklift or manuel pallet jack. Pull orders,packed and ship orders. Stage pallets correct location and shrink wrap pallet
Cons
ADVANCEMENT

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of General Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of General Services Reviews by Location