Department of General Services Employee Reviews in United States

The office was a great place to work
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2015
The typical work day was busy and productive. I was a great environment to work and my co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
Great working environment to work
Cons
The job was temporary
Good place to be a part of
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 12, 2015
I have worked with D.G.S. for almost three years, they are a great state agency, but I am interested in working in a department that has more room for advancement.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
not much room for advancement
perfectly paced great work enviroment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2015
I liked working for the state because it was paced perfect not to slow and not to fast I had a great group of co-workers and we all did our job very well and the fact that I could work alone some days and never get overwhelmed with work made it nice.
Pros
great hours and overtime
Cons
we didnt work weekends
people were great
Temporary Fleet Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2015
I was hired knowing it was going to be temporary. I enjoyed it but did not work there long enough to judge it the union did not allow me to work any longer due to contracts
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 1, 2015
Lot of telephone calls from insurance companies and state employees wanting information on the status of their claim

Lot of e-mails to be answered
Keeping up with all the accident folders from past to present

Learned a lot about insurance and working with different people
and working on the computer and the different software.

Co-workers like family
Feeling comfortable reading in front of people was an adjustment

Closing out a file after working with that claim for awhile.
When I accomplish what I set out to do for that day

Great supervisors and management since I have been employed there.
Pros
comfortable and laid back atmosphere
Cons
can get stressful at times
Very busy place with multiple issues at one time
Maintenance Supervisor, I (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDDecember 1, 2014
Steady pace daily between request for repairs or services that were needed for tenants. I liked the job as well as the pace including being on call at night.
Pros
generated comp time on a regular basis
Cons
alot of issues with security at building due to the cliental that would freqeunt the facility
Was a great job
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2014
I worked with a lot of great people and learned great life lessons from the people that I worked with.
Pros
getting to work on time
Productive place.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2014
Co- worker are nice and we work hard but also have light fun,But always get the work don on or before the deadlines.
Great job stability and advancement opportunities
Staff Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento and West Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2014
As a Personnel Analyst I worked very closely with upper management as well as provided personnel related information and services to employees on a daily basis. I learned the importance of my role within our division because I was dealing with the livelihood of our employees and took that very seriously. Over the years, I worked with many great managers who taught me a lot. I had the pleasure of working with and assisting wonderful people throughout the state and made many great working and personal relationships. The most difficult part of the job was having to cut through so much "red tape", so to speak, in order to provide services in a timely manner. I got the most enjoyment out of being able to help employees in their career advancement and seeing a part of their dreams come true.
Pros
free on site gym
Dgs
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 24, 2014
A typical day at this internship consisted of character building tasks as well as skill building tasks. This allowed me to prioritize and balance between projects. I learned to pay attention to detail, manage my time, write press releases, articles, and media advisories. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie with the employees.
Pros
i was able to set my own hours.
Cons
unpaid
Customer service warehouse
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WAREHOUSE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CASeptember 24, 2013
Dispatch all work all to driver and let manger know what military base they need to see to check out the donation of furniture to see worth scheduling a pick up to that base. Made sure driver made delivery on time. Let customer know item were in. Locate items for customer . Ups truck arrived load up small truck with forklift or manuel pallet jack. Pull orders,packed and ship orders. Stage pallets correct location and shrink wrap pallet
Cons
advancement
nice place to work
Laboratory Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 27, 2013
Nice laid back easy going atmosphere. good benefits, paid holidays. just was nowhere to move up too. eight years in same position.
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
nowhere to move up.
great place to work
Legislative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 5, 2013
Enjoyed working their, but it was a seasonal position. The co-workers were all really nice and the management team was awesome.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great place to work.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2013
I when I get inside my work day starts. I sweep floors then I empty all trash cans.Then I prepare my supplies for cleaning the building inside and out. Management is great and I have some wonderful coworkers. There is no hard part to the job if you keep your building and grounds nice and clean daily. The most enjoyable part is watching the family come into a clean and safe envorniment and enjoy their selves.
Supervising and coordinating the emissions program for 3,000 city vehicles.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  3800 E. Biddlle StreetApril 26, 2013
A typical day at work for me is busy, fast paced, multi-tasking and interacting with a diverse group City employees both internal and external. I am assigned to General Services, Fleet Managment which is the main repair facility that repairs City vehicles. My main function is supervising and coordinating the emissions testing program for 3,000 city vehicles, and maintaining a log for accuracy. My job is enjoyable as well as demanding, prioritizing and meeting all deadlines. The hardest part of my job is not getting the cooperation that is needed to see positive end results in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people every day.
Pros
flexible work shift
Cons
expensive heath care
Good environment to work.
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 8, 2013
A typical day at work is driving around the City of Albany repairing damaged roads with overlays and filling potholes. Learned various skills pertaining to paving, repairing roads, and the machinery involved in the process. Most of my coworkers were very hardworking and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the heat in the summer. The most enjoyable part of the job is driving around, being out and about around the city.
Pros
fun easygoing environment.
very tricky enviornment
CAPITAL PROJECT MANAGER, DC Government (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2012
One should be very careful working with any government agency
Worst career experience I've ever had. Very unprofessional management team with zero "real-world" (i.e., private sector) purchasing experience.
Associate Commodity Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 6, 2012
I have an MBA, yet I reported to a high school graduate, with no private sector experience at all, minimal management experience, and certainly no professional qualifications in procurement. This is how bad it is working in state government, where it clearly isn't what you know that counts, but rather who you know (or whose campaign to whom you donate).

I worked with some good people who reported to me who are themselves far more qualified than our current crew of "management" personnel. Things are so awful there in terms of morale that I'm glad I'm no longer there. I dreaded going into the place.
Pros
public sector benefits
Cons
too many to list - poor management, low morale, favoritism, underqualified people with big egos, budget cuts & pay freezes, cronyism & nepotism