Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Learned how to speak a little Spanish
Human Service Specialist II/ Lead worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 12, 2017
Part of my job entailed calling Medicaid members and I enjoyed learning a little Spanish to assiist thier needs. This was the most enjoyable prart of the job. Also, enjoyed helping customers regain thier Mediciad benfits and making them happy.
Pros
Helping the less fortunate
Cons
Too mucn Micro-manangement
Working hard, but sometimes a little too laid back
Student Trainee (Administrative Support) (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MD 20993December 8, 2017
I noticed people around me were sometimes not doing anything related to their jobs (on the phone, personal email, Netflix, etc). At times I had nothing to do and it was boring as a student intern. But often everyone got their work done and they were all some of the nicest people I met. Highly recommended to work there.
Pros
Decent pay
Good supervision and management
Adult and Family Services Hotline Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 4, 2017
The job was difficult but the supervisors where very supportive and the departmental manager was exceptional in her job. They understood the difficulties, low pay, long hours and etc... so they put out the extra effort.
Pros
good supervisors
Cons
low pay
Productive and fun workplace.
Staff Assistant to H. Westley Clark (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 2, 2017
Productive and fun workplace.

Job security and advancement.. Good job work life balance.Compensation and and benefits. Management and job suoltire..
Cutthroat environment
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  CMS at Federal building downtown AtlNovember 24, 2017
On my first day at work, I was introduced to one of my preceptors and she turned to me and stated, "this is the door (imaginary door drawn in the air)..consider it always closed..."
Pros
Pay, time off
Cons
travel; toxic environment
Excellent benefits
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 21, 2017
Great opportunity. Lead worker. Great benefits. Opportunity for advancements. Able to train under great supervisors. Able to eat a lunch sometimes on them!
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Don't remember
administrative
Processing Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 21, 2017
sent out correspondence for all person(s) that was opening a business through mental health. collected payment and entering into system for payment update.. maintained architect and engineers record files of recent and older project. assigned archtects to clients files for reconstruction or building procedures
Pros
customer satisfaction
Developed strong friendships with a since of family.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 20, 2017
Independently reviewed and prioritized workload.

Being flexible to work at a fast past and provide assistance to a diverse staff

Management was available if needed

Very laid back allowing you to develop your own style of work ethics.

While working in a research environment, it was difficult at times to engage the researcher's to interact in completing complex administrative processes.

Mentoring others in Implementing changes to ensure the accuracy of the varies administrative process.
Pros
flexible work schdule
Cons
managing a diversifield administive process in a timely fashion
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2017
The regular work day consists of daily involvement with Congressional Offices and providing transportation for the Assistant Secretary of Legislation.
Important work
Branch Chief, Patient Movement (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2017
The Department of Health & Human Services provides a necessary support to the American people. It is manned by a dedicated group of professionals who at times will get upset that the system moves slow, but at the end of the day keeps the mission to support the American public.
Productive, Professional workplace
Recruitment and Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MENovember 1, 2017
There is a lot of autonomy in the department I work in. I am currently still employed at the department. I do not have intentions of leaving unless I can find a job with better pay.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Pay
There pros and cons of working in this agency. A person should have some experience at least 3 years before applying.
Social Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 31, 2017
This is a good for an advanced career. The typical day could be fast paced or steady paced. There are alot of policies to learn and display. Management appeared to be consumed with other capacity of the agency at times leaving an employee to fend for him/her self or rely on another employee. The workplace has changed from a helping others atmosphere to cover yourself atmosphere.
Pros
Can make schedule according to needs of customers
Cons
May have to stay late or come in early for a crisis situation.
Low stress job with strong community involvement
Director/Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Bergenfield, NJOctober 27, 2017
Health and Human Services may not always have the highest salaries, however, the fruits of one's labors are visible on the positive impact that you have on the community you serve. The job security and benefits are usually good and stress levels low.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, upwards or sideways. Fascinating cases for the investigative end.
Cons
Small offices become like family over the years, however, people can become complacent.
Very educational
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 20, 2017
Wonderful and rewarding. Your are given the opportunity to work with people from all walks of life. People that range from deveopmenatally disabled, stroke/heart attack patients etc etc.
Awesome workplace
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, SCOctober 19, 2017
The was by fay my favorite job. The only down fall about working here was the pay and you I never received raises. I enjoyed working here and interacting so many different people. I received state benefits that were awesome and they put family first.
Pros
Benefits and family oriented
Cons
pay
Good Work Place
Business System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 19, 2017
Friendly Environment, good team, work culture is good,
I have worked there for almost 2 years and i dont find a reason - why someone wont like to work there.
Overall it is not reliable
Personal assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairbury, NEOctober 11, 2017
I have worked there for almost 4 years paycheck never come on time hours not been or will not be paid for hours worked they offer no benefits I have worked three months and then get told they aren't going to pay me for the three months
Pros
You get tp pick your schedule
Cons
Pay sucks and never on time and they can refuse to pay for hours worked
Stressful, non-supportive
Office Manager & Clinical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 29, 2017
Typical rushed, stressful, frustration. Assign to 4 floors in one day. Learning about the impact of racism in the workplace. Competitive in a negative sense. Most difficult part is the competitive environment. However they did pay for some classes.
Great benefits
Assistant Payments Worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 28, 2017
It is difficult work, very fast pace and stressful. However, you earn a good income and the benefits are excellent. Management is also wonderful and fair.
Productive and Stable Place to work
Medicaid Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 27, 2017
My day starts off with a huddle that includes my supervisor and co-workers. The huddle is held to provide us with pertinent information regarding the clients, statistics and company. It is a quiet environment in the processing center. I really enjoy working for this company because it provides me with the opportunity to help individuals and families receiving or applying for Medicaid.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.