Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Employer Reviews

Fun place to work
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 19, 2014
Great co-workers and clients. Would love to go back in the future.
Great place to get experience
Health Informatics Manager/ Database Administrator (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2013
Pros: experience
Over the years, I got the opportunity to learn a lot working at DHMH.
The overall rating was the job culture.
Rights Advisor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 12, 2013
Pros: assisting the mentally challenged and learning more about the illness.
Cons: the con was inability to take courses in medications.
A typical day at work involved receiving and answering mail from clients, follow up in investigations on abuse, neglect and mistreatment and attending session on forced medication for clients. My overall rating is the jobs culture.
Good Learning
Sr. Business Analyst/Accela Specialist (Current Employee), Queens, NyOctober 22, 2013
Pros: 1 hr lunch
Cons: long commute
- Start with Coffee
- I have learned a lot about different agencies
- Management is good
- Co-workers were very helpful
- is the commute
- Training
You will learn something everyday.
Call Center Agent (Former Employee), 125 Worth streetJuly 23, 2013
A great environment, very flexible. You will learn new material everyday. There are plenty of workshops and meetings, discussing NYC health issues and problems. Many projects to fulfill.
Caring Environment
Public Health Assistant (Former Employee), New York, New YorkJuly 18, 2013
It was great to work with the staff in the school health dept. Working with the staff in helping children get glasses to make them better learners.
Fulfilling clerical duties while entering data on HIV/AIDS testing results
Clerical/ Data Entry (Former Employee), 201 W. Preston St. Baltimore, MarylandJuly 8, 2013
Operated all office machinery on a daily basis to print, fax, or scan important files. Entered patient’s lab results and other information into the computer and saving them to designated files.
I would recommend someone to work with the department even with the daily challenges you might encounter
Supervising System Analyst (Data Manager) (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 28, 2013
Pros: annual health fairs for its employees
Cons: there is a disconnect between upper management, and the lower level staff which are considered the productive team
Depending on which agency you work with it can be a very hard and stressful environment to work in
good field to be in
College Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 3, 2013
at a desk just entering data.. learn more about TB and health...good work if love to just sit at a desk all day. management is ok ..shortage on staff..
The work was exciting but the politics outweighed the importance of the work.
Coordinator of Prevention Services (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 13, 2013
I found that discrimination based on race and education was a major drawback as funding was based on relationships within the agency.
Great learning environment
Food Safety Sanitarian/Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 1, 2013
• Visited schools around NYC completing surveys on food safety and cleanliness
• Investigated and searched premises for documents and other state food violations
Place is not a great place to work at... Very stressful environment
Public Health Sanitarian (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 31, 2013
People in managerial position operate with no ethics and they are very unprofessional
I would prefer to work in a healthcare setting.
Associate Executive Director (Current Employee), 42-09 28th Street Long Island City, NY 11101December 4, 2012
After 23 years of service in a public healthcare setting, the program I managed was transferred to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. I prefer working in a healthcare setting.
Serving the community
Data Collector (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 23, 2012
Pros: i able to serve the community to the best of my abilities.
A typical work day for me starts between the hours of 8:00am-9:00am. I start my day by checking my e-mail followed by completing any work left from the prior work day. As clients walk in I greet them and assist them in the best way possible in gathering personal information needed for the processing of NYS Medicaid application, renewals or Food stamps – more... application. My work day also consist of answering calls, data entry for the Washington Heights (Manhattan), Parsons (Queens), and Tremont (Bronx) Department of Health offices. I am also in charge of modifying application improperly enter into the database, as well as informing clients of their application status, and contacting QC if any discrepancy emerge. Overall, my duties encompass many office duties from writing reports, faxing, coping to mass mailing. My work encompasses many different responsibilities. I enjoy serving the public with no limitation. Due to my work location the demographics of people we serve are from Hispanic descent so I utilize my Spanish language 80% of my work day. – less
My Experience
Fiscal Data Clerk (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 10, 2012
Full day of billing invoices for various departments throughout the agency, making sure that all information is correct and accurate from the invoices. Knowing how to find information throughout system for incorrect invoices, pulling files for different phone calls that you may get, knowing how to do journal work. Gained alot of knowledge within the – more... department from management to coworkers. Enjoy working with my coworkers and management learning new things everyday – less
Office building with professional employees. Very quiet environment with mature adults.
Summer Intern (Former Employee), 6 St Paul streetJanuary 17, 2012
Pros: job was downtown, and it was a professional work environment.
Helped other employees with filing folders, processing government assistance applications, and sending applications to individuals
I have learned so much at this job, more than any other position.
Records Manager Accouting Clerk (Current Employee), Gotham Center Queens, N.Y.October 21, 2011
Pros: very nice people, convenit location
Cons: not hiring full time
I came to work at this job as a part time temp position. Now I want to work here full time. I though that I knew accounting but I have learned a whole new type of vouchers. The city of New York pays so many different companies that you can't keep up with them. The way you do payments is not like writing a check for an invoice. You learn to pay contracts, – more... consultants, over seas companies and so on. – less