Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 1,824 reviews matching the search
Poor review
Customs & Border Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 19, 2017
Stressed environment, orchestrate issues to fired employees. toxic environment (in many ways)... The only reason many older officers stay is for the step increases throughout the years...
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor, inept management
A hurricane brews at certain airports!
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCSeptember 19, 2017
If a Supervisor dislikes you for whatever reason, and through no fault of your own, she will methodically notate every small, petty infraction you make-disregarding those same missteps made by others- and build a case against you. Other Supervisors will not step in to defend you...and you will be slaughtered. And then, she will grin in your face like a serpent.
Pros
Excellent job. Good hours and pay. Terrific benefits.
Cons
Beware of abominable STSO who dislikes astute individuals that don't brown nose.
Okayxpladd to work
Service Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 18, 2017
They seem to be welcoming Great idea! Great plce to work all around nice folks . Lots of free perks like soda and. Lunches, I would recomend working there to anyone that I would meet.
Occasional stressful work environment
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 18, 2017
The job is really cut-throat but there are certain mangers, supervisors and leads that make it unbearable. The work environment is dirty and numerous complaints have been filled to have a cleaning personnel dust and sweep properly to remove dirt from the work space.
Pros
Pays the bills
Cons
Short breaks, filthy work environment
High - paced work environment
NCCIC Senior Watch Officer (SWO) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2017
Work environment: High Tempo/ Stress
Management: Competent/ Fair
Advancement: Competitive/ Cut-throat
Co-workers: Invaluable/ Exceptional
Work Hours: Long
Pros
Co-worker engagment
Cons
Long Hours
Loved the Mission
Sr. HR Advisor/Supervisory HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 14, 2017
What is better than serving your public...nothing! It warms the heart to give back to the men, women and children of a tragedy torn area. FEMA and TSA are prime examples of our Federal Government hard at work!
Very friendly work environment.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYSeptember 14, 2017
I work as a TSO first shift so I was at work at 3:30am 5 days a week. Scheduling was very flexible and higher education and career advancement is encouraged.
TSA - A workable agency
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 14, 2017
In my current role I spend a good part of my day managing several programs, answer 40-50 emails per day, have numerous in-person and remote meetings each week.

Senior leadership in the Office of Law Enforcement is a mixed bag. Some (almost exclusively civilian leaders) support a work/life balance. Civilians working for law enforcement types can expect to be treated the same as law enforcement employees (limited flexibility with hours, non-supportive of work/life balance). There's a culture of retaliation for those who buck the system and there's a lack of accountability within the senior leader ranks which leads to poor morale, excessive EEO complaints, and unnecessary lawsuits.

The hardest part of the job is working for law enforcement types as a civilian, there is definitely a hierarchy and civilians, while expected to conform to law enforcement standards (hours, lack of home/life balance) do not receive the same benefits such as LEAP.

The most enjoyable part of this position is the overall focus on mission and working beside individuals who believe in the mission and will drop everything in an instant should we have another significant aviation-related terrorist attack.
Pros
Standard benefits available to most federal employees, immediate death benefit
Cons
Culture of mistrust between line staff and senior leaders, retaliation and passive-aggressive behavior, inconsistent application of agency policy.
Dhs
LTSO (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 13, 2017
Very competitive, Fast paced. Coworkers get upset easily. i do enjoy the type of work that wee do. gives you a whole new outlook and the dangers that are present in the Aviation field. great benefets.
Pros
exciting job
Cons
Coworkers
Postive working environment with good Culture
Human Service's Specialist/Registration Intake (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville Md.September 13, 2017
Working With FEMA was a great experience. It allowed me to help others in a time of need. I have a passion to help other and offer than my moral and spiritual support. FEMA has excellent training programs. Was Abel to wok in a workplace was able to work longer hours with overtime.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Plenty of training when funds are available
Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32216September 12, 2017
no comment. Many managers are not qualified to manage. A whole lot of brown nosing. Cut throat, Many managers don't have degrees. Managers need to be vetted more. Free training to self develop
Pros
Met some interesting people, plenty of departmental training if funds are available.
Cons
Lack diversity in management
Great Place to advance
Administrative Workforce Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20528September 12, 2017
Great benefits, good people Nice place to network and meet new people. A place to do your best and become among the best of the best. Have a great boss or be a great boss.
It was a military related job
HONOR GUARD TEAM LEADER, US MILITARY (Former Employee) –  West Orange, NJSeptember 12, 2017
The team I had were well trained individules who providided great service to those who served before us. It was a great opprotunity to learn and grow.
Pros
Full time military
Cons
Not alot of personal time no days off
It is okay
Not Applicable (Current Employee) –  Not applicableSeptember 11, 2017
FEMA has its pros and cons like any organization. They have made movements forward in the last year. However, the the explanation this is how it is always done is the normal answer.
It comes down to who your boss is and the opportunity that is given. It isn't hard to be shunned.
The hardest part about the job is being able to deploy rapidly.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Growth
It is a very fullfiling Carrier
Bilingual English/Spanish Import Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 11, 2017
During my work I enjoyed working with people from all backgrounds, ages, national origins and nationalities, there are very good opportunities to grow if you want.
Pros
The salary was good
Cons
it can be a bit stressful
Poor management. Low pay for work performed.
Senior Homeland Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 11, 2017
Work environment as a whole is poor and my health is being negatively effected. Stressful working conditions. Have not received a raise in 11 years.
Pros
Paid leave, insurance is okay.
Cons
Alot
Tsa
Passenger Screener (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 10, 2017
You truly have to be fit to work this field. You have to do a lot of bending and picking up heavy luggage. Your eye sight had to be good because you looked at an xray machine all day. The management was good. They helped out when ever needed. We sometimes got backed up with long lines.
Pros
The pay and benefits was excellent
Cons
During busy times got a little tiresome
Review
TSA Security Screener (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 8, 2017
Working for Homeland Security is very stressful.....and dangerous. For example: we are continuous told that we will have to confront an " Active Shooter" sooner or later. Most of the management was just thrown together after 09/11/01.....with the greater majority being ex military. This one fact results in a lack of good people skills. The regular work force is made up of the hardest working , most honest and just nice people I have ever worked with. Kudos to them and their families. Also, crazy work times and shifts are the norm. But with all that being said; it is a worthwhile service that we provide. In fact, I believe we are the one government agency that has always been 100% effective in our stated mission and that is to prevent sky hi-jacking and aircraft from being blown-up. ....the best part of ythe job is that I meet hundreds if not thousands of people everyday. 98% of those we serve are wonderful folks and are very appreciative of our service in their behalf.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Already mentioned in my review.
Challenging opportunities
Sr. Systems Developer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 7, 2017
Work was challenging and interesting, but company I worked for was acquired and they replaced personnel fro acquired firm. There were cliques of people from various companies who did not share information and made it a stressful environment. Did not have good mentors or professionals who would help learn new products and assignments.
Pros
Challenging assignment
Cons
Not well informed about overall project issues
The most enjoyable part of the job
Senior Executive Service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 7, 2017
In all three of the organizations I worked in, Army, Treasury and Homeland Security, I was able to continuously improve the way business was conducted. My greatest accomplishments were the award of multimillion dollar contracts, that were of high dollar value, that helped my customers in securing contracting support, and thus making them and their agencies more productive.
Pros
Freedom to be creative, seeing results of my staff's work
Cons
Naysayers that created obstacles to progress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Homeland Security Reviews by Location