Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 1,385 reviews matching the search
abusive work culture
Associate Legal Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2016
Ranks last in employee surveys for many reasons. Management not trained as managers and are taught to harass employees.
Easy work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 22, 2016
Nice and Quiet and Easy going people Quiet Nights Staying awake having a job to go to People there are very nice and Management are nice
Pros
easy work
Cons
third shift
Analyzed
Human Service Specialist, GS (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDSeptember 21, 2016
Oversaw implementation of support plans that sustained organizational viability. Managed logistics for wide range of projects and services. Organized, analyzed, and interpreted information in terms of problem and solution management to assist management in decision making. Reviewed operations and initiated appropriate action to address vulnerabilities and potential weaknesses. Ensured federal compliance for data entry and recording. Implemented and monitored systems for clear, effective communication patterns amongst employees, administrative staff, and senior management.
Great place of employment, able to help disaster survivors in their daily needs.
Site Corrdinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2016
Prepare and maintain duties as required bases on disaster needs. ordering, shipping, facilities maintenance, set-up and close-out staging areas.
Great benefits!
Passenger Screener (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2016
The job it self is a good job for the salary that you receive but it can be a headache. Dealing with the public can be very stressful at times! Don't get me wrong there are some good people out there that do appreciate the work that we do but there are also some mean, rude, and disrespectful people! If you are interested in this job please be aware that you have to have a leveled head and clear mind coming in! Because there will be someone that will try to push your buttons but you have to remember you will only see those people for a couple seconds out of your life!
Pros
Provides transportation benefits!
Cons
Too far!!
Good Job
Dispatcher/Alarm Monitor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 15, 2016
Work is busy all the time. I've learned a lot working with Ace Parking. The management is different depending on the department a individual works in. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of my job is the work load.
Its a job
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NCSeptember 14, 2016
Its a job, nothing else to tell. Job is good most days. Management and some organizational policies are not on same page.
Great Place to Work
District Adjudication Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2016
I loved my job. I got to meet many people from all walks of life and culture. I was able to touch many life's. I learned a lot about people. The best manager was one that allowed you to do your job according to the law. I had great co workers. We worked together to accomplish the goals of the office. The hardest part of the job was having to deny an applicant and have them deported back to their country where some of the living conditions were deplorable.
Pros
Award ceremonies
Cons
Case load sometimes
A day at DHS
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCSeptember 11, 2016
DHS is very fast paced environment, not in a acquisition sense, but from a policy point of view. Management is great and so are the co-workers. The hardest part of my job is disconnecting. It is very easy to get engulfed in your work. The most enjoyable part is being around so many who really care about this country, peoples tax dollars, and the work itself.
Pros
Very close to policy makers. Will give you a new found appreciation for our Government
Cons
Not enough hours in the day. Every day is to be continued.
Excellent Place to Work
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 10, 2016
My typical day consisted of inspecting incoming and outgoing flights for safe travel. Ensuring national security for travelers, and translating for passengers. I learned to be patient and that early flights have many passengers on edge. My coworkers were very knowledgeable in their duties, making me feel at ease working with them. the most enjoyable part of my job was inspecting the planes.
Fun work place
Role Player (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALSeptember 8, 2016
My job at Homeland Security is fun, I get to meet new people as well as help others. It's a very flexible work schedule. I enjoy what I do there. My job consist of acting out different scenarios. We work with different police academies, different branches of military services, animal control, nurses, and doctors. our job is to make their training as realistic as possible.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling
Cons
Not enough work hours in a week
productive and pleasant working environment
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 7, 2016
All of my co workers were welcoming and friendly, this job requires close attention to detail but also has a lot of safe guards for mistakes so there is not too much anxiety in the work day.
Great place to work, you have an on-site gym to workout
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 31, 2016
Exciting and challenging place to work - Fast pace and never a dull moment.

Typical work day: End user calls regarding assistance with various system applications

What I learned: Technology never stays the same too long, always changing

Management: Great Bosses and always supportive

Co-workers: Great group of folks always willing to lend a hand

Hardest part of the job: Never enough resources to do everything needed.

Most enjoyable part of the job: Ensuring that systems were always operational and when things got out of line, getting everything back to normal as quickly as possible.
Pros
Great vacation benefits
Cons
always on call - you can not have a 2nd job while employed at DHS
Most enjoyable
FEMA Reservist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 27, 2016
People helping People - most enjoyable.
My co-workers are, mostly, the best.
FEMA got lost via Katrina and never fully recovered its public image.
The public has little trust in FEMA.
Productive and fun work place
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 25, 2016
I was able to learn valuable Budget and Acquisition tools with the opportunity to put to use while dealing with budgets over $300M.
Pros
unlimited learning opportunities
An Extremely Important But Thankless Job
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLAugust 24, 2016
Working in the uniformed section of the agency is very trying. There are numerous rules and regulations that must be followed and as a Supervisor you have to ensure not only you, but your entire team follow these rules. You are also the last line of defense before passengers get on to an airplane and that often makes the job we do unpopular and unappreciated. Our local management is very supportive. You learn to be extremely patient and flexible and to know when to stand your ground, because others can forget just how extremely important every decision we make on the floor actually is. I enjoy the people I work with, the people who work for me and the people I work directly for. We all get along extremely well and everyone understands what needs to be done and the reasons we are doing it.
Pros
Excellent benefits including retirement and health care
Cons
Working holidays
Great Place to serve the American People
Project Management Officer (Current Employee) –  FEMA - Washington, DCAugust 23, 2016
FEMA provides the opportunity to serve those in need at the time they most need it.

Very rewarding but draining job that I will remember for a long time.
great place to start out
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 23, 2016
Its a great intro to federal security. People are really nice and generally layed back. Good pay for what you do and decent benefits.
Great place
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Arlington County, VAAugust 23, 2016
great place to work
new service center
good work and life balance
room for advancement
contractor within DTSV Inc.
fast paced work place
great location, near metro and bus services
Excellent agency to work for
Procurments Specialist and Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 22, 2016
I can not review a US Government Agency - its a vital security agency the typical day is very bust excellent co-workers a lot of paperwork
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Homeland Security Reviews by Location