Department of Homeland Security

1.2K reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Awesome
Sector Enforcement Specialist (Former Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 25, 2015
Great environment. Supportive management. A lot to learn. Great compensation and benefits. Shift work can be challenging.
Stressful Environment
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Team environment
Cons: Stressful environment
The job as a Transportation Security Officer is very stressful and can be a very chaotic workplace. The job as a Supervisory Transportation Security Officer compounds this due to the responsibilities in the position.
Homeland Security - TSA Officer
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Flexibilty, Protecting the public and the importance of the mission
Cons: being unappreciated for our sacrifices
My typical day at work included carrying out the security guidelines of Homeland Security daily while providing excellent customer service to passengers.

I learned to think outside the box, the importance of paying attention to detail, great communication skill sets, and the power of teamwork.

My co-workers were great, we were a hardworking team and utilized every aspect of the security awareness – more... and procedures required of us on a daily basis.

I loved that we were allowed to be creative with the different aspects of screening passenger without loosing the vision
I was able to have the experience of a lifetime when I was chosen to be a part of the "up in the Air," movie.

The hardest part of my job was not being appreciated by the public and being slammed in the media constantly. Most do not realize how much training we actually are exposed to as well as the level of security clearance we posses as TSA officers.

I loved the vision and mission of this positon. – less
not fun at all
Physical Security Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2015
Great job, but poor management and very low morale. This job could be much better and more productive if people cared, especially managers and supervisors.
im not sure
supervisor (Current Employee), charlotte NCAugust 20, 2015
Its not that great for what you do and how you get treated by passengers and by upper management.
Benefits aren't to bad but you pay a lot for them.
Good benifits unstable management. I was very knowledgable in security procedures and accomplished a reputation of being an excellant officer.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: No breaks somtimes.
Very stressful working environment. Briefings at start of shift. Assigned work location after briefing. Teammates are either hard working or lazy. Officers have to balance work, passenger interaction and security procedures all at the same time. I enjoyed my job very much. I am unable to say what I learned due to my position was security sensitive.I had to be flexible to the direction of multiple managers. Each had their management style. Co-workers where enjoyable. The co-workers who did not pull their weight in tasks were difficult. The hardest part was the numerous tests we were required to take. I am unable to explain further (sensitive information). The most enjoyable part was assisting passengers with special needs. Making their screening experience pleasant was so satisfying.
great place
TSO (Current Employee), Shreveport, LAAugust 17, 2015
love keeping the traveling world safe
love being able to transfer to other airports if you wish to do so
love the pay
love the benefits
Reigonal manager lied about workers part-time, full time status
Security Screener (Former Employee), Longview, TXAugust 15, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: regional management lied about worker status causing many workers to pay half of insurance premium
part time workers worked full time hours but had to pay for half of benefit premium. Local supervisor and fellow workers were great. a lot of down time
Amazing work environment
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 11, 2015
I interned with Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Houston, TX. They treated me with the upmost respect. They taught me about all of the things they do. I would recommend this career to anyone because it is rich and fulfilling.
Program Analyst
Program Analyst (Former Employee), Washington DCAugust 11, 2015
Pros: I was able to work 4 10 hour shifts
Cons: Got paid the same as someone fresh out of college w/no experience
My job was to audit programs within the Department of Homeland Security. I would collect and analyze evidence. Write reports with the evidence provided and submit them to the manager in charge of my group.

I also performed basic office repairs of the copier machine.

The hardest part of the job was keeping busy. I normally will attack the task given to me and complete it within a timely fashion. I do not leaving work unfinished if possible.
Work Hard Everyday
Contract Telecommunicator/Dispatcher (Current Employee), Suitland MegacenterAugust 11, 2015
Pros: multiple days off per week, overtime usually available
Cons: short breaks, long hours, low morale
You will work hard and likely have a headache at the end of the day but helping others is very rewarding. The hours are long but you get multiple days off per week which is nice. If you are looking for a place with a lot of rapport and community among employees, this isn't the job for you. The morale is low and the turn over rate is high. So be prepare to get in, do your hours, and get out.
We work at a hospital really fun helping the students
Roll player (Current Employee), Fort McClellan, ALAugust 10, 2015
Pros: pay is alright
Cons: not getting enough hours
Like working with new people ,everybody out there is nice and fun to work with, we have classes on Tuesday, Thursdays and we do our rolls that Friday really fun but don't really get enough hours
Productive, Rewarding, Secure
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee), Morrisville, NCAugust 9, 2015
Rewarding, secure employment. Provides security and and safe atmosphere for both internal and external stakeholders
Department of Homeland Security
Detection Enforcement Officer (DEO) (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Interesting work.
Cons: Some barriers working for federal government agency.
Uniquely exciting position that deployed to foreign locations. Worked as an aircrew member in P-3 aircraft working various radars, sensors and communications equipment. Also worked as a Sensor Operator for MQ-9 Predator drone operations.
Border Patrol Agent conducting Immigration laws
Senior Border Patrol Agent (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed protecting the Country
Cons: Politics play a majer role due to plitical correctness
As an Bordrer Patrol Agent, I conducted Immigration inspection on people traveling into the interior of the United States. Inspected vehicles for contraband. arrested subject entering the U.S. illegally. I participated numerous undercover work on behalf of the federal government. Filed reports and testified in court on behalf of the U.S. Government. conducted surveillance aliens and drug smugglers.

Detailed to the "Best Group" conducting investigations, for weapon ammunition being smuggled out of the U.S. into Mexico for the Gulf Carytel, Zetas, all drug organizations working in Mexico

Investigated numerous cases, which resulted in the deaths of several undocumented aliens smuggled into the U.S., in various conveyances, interviewed witnesses pertain to the case.
Law Enforcement Training and various other related courses that are essential to all military and Public Safety Members.
Training Course (Former Employee), Edison, NJAugust 6, 2015
Your job is always secure
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 6, 2015
Great place to work if you don't mind the politics. You learn a lot and experience really cool things. It allows you to help people and feel like you are making a difference.
FEMA-Great place to work
Emergency Management Specialist (PA) (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Benefits, career advancement & good pay
Cons: None
A lot of room for advancement, great training opportunities & working with knowledgable co-workers. Having the opportunity to travel and meet new people!!
Very fast paced environment with a high workload
(Contractor) - Invoice Monitor/Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Helping people, Reviewing invoices and communication with field members
Cons: Red tape, office politics and lack of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
Working for the DHS FEMA as the Invoice Monitor (Contractor MAIC, INC.) required being familiar with the Prompt Payment Act of the Federal Acquisitions Regulations. Each day I verified that charges billed on invoices were supported by substantiated data supplied by the contractor. I examined each invoice for mathematical accuracy and assured that they were within the Period of Performance. I also recorded, – more... monitored and tracked each invoice to ensure that they were paid within 30 days. This was part of the Hurricane Katrina/Rita recovery effort and so it was very fulfilling to know that I was part of something very important. Upper management, my co-workers and I were supportive of one another. I would often talk with contractors on-site and quickly understood that they were spending numerous hours in the field under very stressful situations. This required that I have a very calm and understanding approach in my communicative process. – less
Logistics (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 3, 2015
Working for USCIS within DHS is a great experience where people are willing to put in the work necessary to keep opertations smooth and efficient. The agency is ever growing as immigration becomes a large deal in the US.