Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 1,469 reviews matching the search
Great steady work
Customs and Border Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 20, 2017
Great steady work. Lots of overtime required. Can get monotonous at times when it is slow at the airport. You must be diligent and alert at all times, our country is counting on us.
Pros
Your mind is always on alert
Cons
Lots of required overtime. Poor work life balance
Great Introduction to Federal Employment
Student Trainee (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 20, 2017
I worked a steady job with a consistent work flow that asked of me to perform tasks that I could handle well. This was my first job, and it was a solid internship. The only downside to my job was that it was temporary.
Government career was fulfilling after 25 years
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2017
I had a wonderful experience with the government after 25 years in law enforcement and four years in the Marine Corps and am looking for a new and exciting career.
Everyday is a day dedicated to helpinng
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2017
Everyday is a day that the workplace is a place where those who have faced a disaster is a priority. Budget activities are centered around making sure that funds are planned to maximized and spent as wisely as possible. The work is enjoyable because at the end of o the day, we know that our actions are connected to the benefit those who were in need.
Great job !
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 18, 2017
Great job great benefits. Easy work. Loved the job. I had to move out of state or I would still be there. Great training. Never a boring day
Too stressful for what you get out of job.
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 16, 2017
There is no benefit to working there, not enough salary and too much hassle. The job has no reward and is only good as a starting point to get your foot in the door to another government job.
Pros
government job
Cons
stress, salary
great opportunities available
Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 16, 2017
great division to work in minus politics and micromanagement. Cross training is available but not always approved. Lack of cross training approval. Need more senior leadership training for individuals who manage military personnel to reduce friction within the personnel ranks.
Fun and productive
Emergency Management Agent (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CA 91103February 16, 2017
Amazing atmosphere and great leadership
Fun place to work
The feeling of helping people in a disaster is awesome.
Great program with great benefits
Government
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIFebruary 16, 2017
Typical bureaucracy, if you are not part of the group you are not treated equally. Not treated fairly by management. Got let go based on hear say, they lost in court yet still didn.t get my job back.
great place to gain experience and knowledge
Immigration Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
theres never generally a day that is the same working here. you utilize the knowledge from case study and immigration daily. you must be sharp and fast reacting.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work/life balance
excellent environment
TSA Officer (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 15, 2017
great place to learn and help others. typical day allows for employee to feel accomplished, friendly people and advancement opportunities
Pros
fair shifts
Cons
Being able to help in the security of air travel.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 15, 2017
The management there are somewhat unorganized. There is a lot of lack of communication between the higher level management down to the supervisory officers. Overall the benefits come from having a federal government job with good benefits. The morale is very low due to poor management skills.
Overall good starting point of career
Deputy Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 8, 2017
Good starting point to career but the job advancement selection process during my time there was terrible. Preference given to people who exaggerated their experience and was never checked.
Pros
Good Parking
Cons
Pay to park
fun poeple!
clerk (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOFebruary 7, 2017
learned hard work and how to keep up with production while also not making mistakes! great people to work with but definitely needs more communication!
Can be a great job with a few changes.
Bailiff (Current Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCFebruary 6, 2017
This department as a whole is messed up but if your willing to move around you could be ok. They pick on their employees and are quick to write you up. There is not a true checks and balances system because management is all friends and have the ability to do things without the director knowledge. You meet a lot of great people though and have to be very patient.
lots of nice people, good supervisors
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOFebruary 6, 2017
well its a good job, but the needs to be more communication. learned lots about computers and Microsoft, the most enjoyable part is having 2, 15 minute breaks as well as a lunch! not that hard of a job.
A very rewarding and fulfilling mission
Regional Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2017
A workforce committed to help individuals in their greatest time of need. Lengthy deployments may be necessary based on the mission at hand.
Great orginization
Computer Forensics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 4, 2017
During my time here Ive learned a lot about e Discovery, report writing, trial and prosecution. My job consisted of eDiscovery and report writing. I would forensically examin suspect hard drives and cell phones for data pertaining to the case work at hand.
Difficult hours
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark Liberty airportFebruary 4, 2017
Work extremely stressful. Learned that prior experience in law enforcement was a great asset. Workplace culture was one of higher up hired politically. Some directors had absolutely no security experience what soever. Most enjoyable was just working with the people on my level and my subordinates who were good decent people.
Cons
Too politicized
Great job.
Immigration Services Officer II (Current Employee) –  Oakland Park, FLFebruary 1, 2017
Great job. Excellent advancement opportunity. Hard work. Rewarding work. Professional atmosphere. Effective management. Supreme leadership. Nice location. Excellent pay and benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Homeland Security Reviews by Location