Department of Homeland Security
1,111 reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Learning Experiment
Security Officer (Current Employee), Romulus, MIJune 1, 2015
Pros: The health benefits
Cons: The hours and the senority list being changed all the time, along with the continual shift bid every 6 months
Overall I enjoyed the job and the different challenges it brought forth each day. The interactions with all types of people from all walks of life. I learned customer service skills, patience, and time management. My coworkers overall were hard workers and a joy to work with, we mostly worked in team settings. The hardest part of the job was a passenger with a language barrier.
New Challenges
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJune 1, 2015
Pros: Government, safe career job
Cons: few opportunities for advancement, running out of challenges
Great place to work, its just time to move on to new opportunities and challenges. Great benefits and opportunities throughout career. A place you can retire from.
Professional, Well Skilled, Leadeship Qualified Individual
Inspector Gaylen Hawkins (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 30, 2015
Pros: The respect
Cons: Never ending work
My career is vast in many professions and trainings such as basic security officer, correctional officer, physical security specialist, law enforcement officer, investigator, and anti-terrorism instructor. I have been trained by the US Army, US Air Force, and Federal Government. I enjoy mentoring, teaching, defensive tactics, and investigations. I have certificates in leadership/supervisor schools.
Typical work day
Deportation Assistant (Current Employee), Burlington, MAMay 27, 2015
Pros: getting a criminal off the streets
Cons: current immigration custody standards
Assist agents in searching federal,state and open source data bases to find illegal criminal aliens. Every day you could be working on something different.
Interesting work in unproductive place
Program Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 24, 2015
Some of the nation's most important work is done at DHS but the lack of diversity or skilled employees holds the Department back. If you're looking for a place that values workplace culture and new ideas, it may not be rewarding.
Great Teamwork
Contracting Officer |Senior Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 23, 2015
Our division, the Compliance and Removals Division at the Office of Acquisition, ICE, consisted of an integrated team of professionals who worked hand in hand to deliver the best possible service to our customers. It was a great experience!
Good "umbrella" department to work under.
Operations Specialist (OS) (Current Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 17, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and work environment.
Cons: Changes in administration can shift focuses completely in a new direction, leading to unexpected transitions in personnel, work places and overall missions.
DHS frequently supports publicly the mission that the US Coast Guard does, giving enhanced visibility to the public and enabling the Coast Guard to enjoy increased cooperation form partnerships in mission execution.
This job is very rewarding
Project Specialist II (Current Employee), Washington DCMay 15, 2015
Pros: Travel
Cons: not consistance work
I enjoy the interaction between myself and my co-worker. I enjoy providing services the our clients. This job is as needed, and I need a permanent and consistence income.
great benefits
MISSION SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
great benefit package however a typical work day is very stressful with management changing like a revolving door and unmerited awards given to unaccountable employees who has seniority.
Very professional atmosphere.
Economic Recovery Coordinator (Former Employee), Lakewood, COMay 14, 2015
Everyone who works there is very capable and professional. Great working environment and good work life balance. Good training program for advancement opportunities.
Exciting job where i can work hard and move up
TRANSPORTAION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 14, 2015
I am a hard determined worker that will work extremely hard for a company. I am a people person and love to talk and meet new people on a daily basis.
Hardwork
Lead Screener (Former Employee), HonoluluMay 13, 2015
With the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform my daily duties my day was always a productive day. When a life depends on your focus regarding life and death one doesn't play around.
Productive Workplace
Management Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 7, 2015
Pros: Was Able to Get a Raise Every Year
Cons: Contract was not renewed
Busy Every Day
Learned Different Policies
Inspired Me to do More
Was very Uplifting
Not Knowing How Long the Contract Would Last
Fulfilling all My Deadlines Before Time
Exciting and challenging work environment.
Expert Transportation Security Officer - CC (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLMay 6, 2015
Pros: Advancement, Transfer Options, Training, Benifits
Cons: Flexibility of hours and shifts depends on seniority
A friendly, fast paced environment to work. The dynamic climate of the ever changing personalities of the flying public was where your flexibility and customer service skills needs to excel. Wonderful for building a career and advancement if you put in the effort.
hard work but good mission
Program Analyst, (CACI Contractor) (Former Employee), Arlington, VAMay 6, 2015
Hard work but good mission. Each job was important. The people were passionate about there work. Lots of young people with seasoned managers.
Very productive and easy going work environment
Immigration Services Assistant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2015
Pros: not busy all the time
Cons: Slow to advance to other positions
This company is very appreciative to work for. You are not required to report or document your whereabouts at all time. The pay is very good.
Confusing
TSA (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMay 4, 2015
I could have enjoyed this job more if it didn't have the added stress. I expected passengers to complain about the procedure and at times become overly irritated. What I didn't expect was the lack of management cooperation. Each manager had his or her way they wanted things done which made it miserable for the agents. When two managers with different views worked together, we had a difficult time juggling the different rules of both managers and how they interpreted new policies. They were never on the same page. This made the job very stressful. I hope all that has improved through the years.
Highly stressful!!!!
TSA, Transportation security officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia airportMay 3, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: Insensitive and non cooperative management
Very stressful and extremely busy days. Everyday was also unpredictable. I love a challenge and I am a very hard worker but doing your job well isn't the same if you are not appreciated as an employee. I learned to always beware of your surroundings and to pay attention to detail. Management is very insensitive and pretty much cut and dry. If you come to work and do your job up to your standards you will have a pretty easy going day. Management cared about the safety of the employees and the traveling public but not so much a team player. I loved my co-workers. I worked with kind-hearted warm loving people who made the long stressful days a littler more easier to deal with. I loved the pay and wished it was a little more easier to be yourself and express my bubbly personality.
Great
Management and Program Analyst GS-7 Series-0343 (Former Employee), Washington DCApril 30, 2015
I loved working at DHS. I felt like I was part of the mission to national security and keeping our nation safe. Everyday I looked forward to coming to work and contributing to the team. Team work is a big part of the Marine Corps and it carried over with me after I discharged.
Great learning experience
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 30, 2015
Working for USCIS as an intern was great. I really enjoyed learning about immigration. It was great sitting in interviews and learning about the process of getting a green card and becoming a US citizen. My coworkers and staff at my site were all friendly and respectful.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Homeland Security

Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High – Read more

Department of Homeland Security Salaries

$70,000 per year

Department of Homeland Security Photos

CGC Mellen in Seattle, WA August 2008
Work in Saudi Arabia
Picture with Deputy Federal Security Director upon joining the federal workforce at TSA.