Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employer Reviews

Fantastic job with fantastic people! No benefits for local hires, though.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 18, 2014
Pros: great management, wonderful environment and very welcoming staff.
Cons: short-term for local hires.
Coordinated movement of people and supplies, conducted stock inventory on bulk items, closed disaster support centers in Brookport, IL and East Peoria, IL, packaged all items for shipment, loaded semis with supplies, supported operation of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA), answered multi-line phones and a switchboard and helped conclude – more... the tornado disaster (4157) in Illinois. – less
Not a good Federal Agency for Older Workers
Federal Security Officer (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CaliforniaJuly 16, 2014
Pros: it's a job and has decent government benefits.
Cons: it is a dead end job for those over 40, and moral is poor.
Career Advancement for older workers is severely limited, regardless of your experience and accomplished in internal achievements, if you are 40 or above don't expect much.
TSO (Former Employee), Queens, NYJuly 15, 2014
Operating screening equipment to identify dangerous objects in baggage and on passengers, and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft; Performing searches, to include hand-ward and pat-down searches; Controlling terminal entry and exit points; Interacting with the public, giving directions and responding to inquiries
I was only with the company for two months
Emergency management trainee/paid intern (Former Employee), Largo, MDJuly 15, 2014
I worked at this company for 2 months as a paid intern.

To be honest, I do not know enough about how the company operates to write a solid review.
Productive with security in mind
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Former Employee), Philadelphia,Pa. (PHL)July 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits, advancements within
Cons: work enviroment
Most days started with a slow pace, work normally was steady around the late afternoon hours. I learned how to operate the x-ray and explosive detection machines, management was hardly visible unless there was a emergency. My co-workers were fun to work with, the hardest part of the job was completing the on-line classes needed for possible advancements – more... in seniority, the most enjoyable part was knowing that each flight was secured from terroristic threats. – less
DHS
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Saint Ann, MOJuly 14, 2014
Over my four year career with the Transportation Security Administration I’ve enjoyed my overall work experience. Every day is completely different from the next and a fast paced atmosphere helps the day pass by. Every day you have the ability to meet new people, and you ensure the safety of every person boarding an aircraft.
Ground breaking new agency
Supervisory Training Screening Specialist (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 13, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: few days off
Enjoyed the deployment despite the long days, few days off. rewarding
Important mission, fast paced environment where trust is key
Program Manager and Task Lead (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 12, 2014
Fortunate to work for a wonderful person and with wonderful people who understand that there needs to be a healthy balance between work and family.

We work in a fast paced environment where quality and timeliness of what we produce is essential to our stakeholder community.

The most difficult part of my job is managing the resources we have against – more... the growing scope of our mission and the requirements of our stakeholder community.

The most enjoyable part of my job is collaborating directly with our stakeholders and working alongside the people I do. – less
Re; Government At Its Worst
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 12, 2014
Pros: government retirement and benfits
Cons: government red tape
Terrible agency to work for. Yes, it's a foot in the door to the government but it sucks all of the good out of you and wonders why you're angry when you come to work.
Office Work at its Most Typical
Paralegal Specialist (Current Employee), Orlando, FloridaJuly 11, 2014
Pros: easy to take time off, stability
Cons: promotion, management, enviornment
I have worked for the government most of my professional career, and this will could very well be the last stop, as far as my public service goes. Management understands the value of the government sector, which enables them to enact poor procedures, policies, and decision making with little repercussion. It is not what I expected, to say the least. – more... That said, there are some positives, such as the ability to take leave, see the doctor, and the job has not been one where leadership micromanages. – less
A day in the life of TSA
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSJuly 10, 2014
TSA was a good job but people do not respect you. The public thinks bad things about you. I enjoyed the job but it just wasnt for me.
Good Job
Transportation Security Manger (Current Employee), Midland, TXJuly 9, 2014
Good Job and Great People to work with, it is an important job which unfortunately does not get the recognition it truly deserves.
Good benefits and mission
Master Coordination Center Officer (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 8, 2014
Pros: good workforce and benefits
Cons: morale can be low at times due to frequent changes of leadership.
Department of Homeland Security is a great place to work, as far as its core mission and benefits to employees.

Everyone believes in the mission at hand and the reason why DHS was established. There is a very diverse workforce here. full of varying knowledge bases and cultures.

Employee pay and benefits are spectacular.
Professional security career
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 6, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: to much micro-management
A great career opportunity for seniors, veterans, and young persons seeking federal government career advances.
TSA
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 6, 2014
TSA started out ok got worse with when new management came in. Policies got unrealistic and crushed morale of the floor workers.
Productive, Professional, and Great place to work.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Linthicum, MDJuly 2, 2014
Pros: compensation, benefits, federal government, co-workers.
Cons: travelers
Very great place to work in the Fed for a young person. TSA is a good start to a career in the Fed Government. Its a competitive work environment with very good room for advancement with hard work. The only bad part is the moody travelers but after a while you get use to them.
Not an appropriate match for my interests and skill sets
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYJuly 2, 2014
Pros: good line staff
Cons: negative possibilities for use of skill sets.
Routine security screening of passengers at Syracuse Hancock Airport.
could be better
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), TampaJuly 2, 2014
A fairly easy but stressful job. The public is really uninformed as to what we actually do and why we do it, so they tend to be very difficult and rude.
Security in work and finance
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Denver, COJune 30, 2014
This job pays well and is steady, it is however also mundane and has evolved into a department more concerned about customer service than security. The hours can be long and it is difficult to move around for some people. Numerous opportunities can arise, however.
Looking for permanent full-time employment
Training Support Specialist (Current Employee), Emmitsburg, MarylandJune 30, 2014
Pros: travel, working with professionals
Cons: long hours, stress and inconsistency of employment
Enjoy the diversity of working for the government, but it is Reservist Job. I am looking for a job somewhat more permanent.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Homeland Security

Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High – Read more

Department of Homeland Security Photos