Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,371 reviews matching the search
Poor Culture and Work Life Balance
External Affairs (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 18, 2016
There is a reason why FEMA is rated 306 out of 320 in recent surveys of ideal places to work in the Federal Government. There is absolutely no work life balance for employees that get deployed to disaster sites. They are away from home for lengthy periods of time but are not compensated for the deployments apart from M&IE. Apart from that, FEMA is a dull, vaguely cultish, and intellectually vapid place to work. I would recommend other federal agencies like DOD or State Dept. before looking at FEMA or any other DHS agency for that matter.
Pros
Cons
Poor work life balance, poor salary
Horrible
TSO (Current Employee) –  Tampa FLMarch 25, 2016
Worst job Ive had, but the pay is decent. Government Benefits and Time off is nice. Management is beyond horrible. Constantly tested on the job with little to no job security.
Pros
Pay, Time off, Benifits
Cons
Everything else
The hardest part of the job
(FQS) QA/QC PA Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2015
This job requires 24 hour notice with a requirement to work 300 days a year with no federal benefits while working for the federal government in disaster response and recovery efforts. Having to travel from disaster to disaster this requires leaving family and friends for several months to years at a time. There is no job security as this is considered a temporary job and when not deployed you do not receive a paycheck. Management is often younger less qualified persons that the experienced persons have been assigned to train because of salary restructure and downward salary trends.
Pros
Rewarding in aiding survivors of disasters
Cons
Temporary position with no benefits or job security
Dhs
Resident agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 2, 2016
Tremendous job security and potential for career advancement. Challenging work environment. Excellent benefits. Chance to move to various places across the United States.
TSA Louisville
United American Security Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 29, 2016
This is a job for a person who likes to deal with the public on a daily basis.
Co-workers and Management are good
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset and angry passengers coming through the airport.
The job has great benefits and is an interesting place to work
Pros
Wages
Cons
subject to contact with passengers with diseases
Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work.
Deportation Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Please see my resume for job description.

Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work. I worked nearly every job duty including juvenile docket, victim witness coordinator, firearms/range officer, detained and non- detained docket, fugitive operations and prosecutions.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, supportive co-workers and limited supervision
Emergency Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VAFebruary 26, 2016
Great place to work with the group of people that I work with. We all work together to get the job done. Main goal in this position if our officer safety.
Pros
Salary is awesome
Cons
No room for advancement
Great Work in Public Service
Logistics / Facilities Manager Reservist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 7, 2016
I worked for FEMA as a Logistics Disaster Reservist in all parts of the country. This work was extremely rewarding and satisfying. Great job satisfaction, high morale, and a real test of your skills and abilities on every level.

I had little opportunity to become a permanent full time FEMA worker. However, I worked so much so often on disasters, I averaged around 70 to 90 hours a week. This was hard on my wife and family, as I was gone on the road a lot, and had no retirement or health insurance.

Our on site management was great and generally supportive. The extremely high morale of the FEMA staff made work a joy.
Pros
Helping people in th real world, good training, excellent pay, great morale
Cons
On the road all the time, no health insurance, no retirement. Extremely hard work.
Still a very young agency
Foreign Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2016
As far as the Headquarters element goes, there is a lot of work to be done. Many of the headquarters elements are top heavy, with very little employees in the middle and at the bottom. There are strides being made to hire more employees at those levels.

On the more positive side, there are many opportunities to hone your skills, often with senior leadership. The experience you have will depend on your chain of command and their relationship with their management.
Fairly Typical Government Work
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 23, 2016
Overall, it was a great learning experience for me to work at Boston Logan International Airport for 11 years.
The stresses could be completely overwhelming at times, but generally that assured that the people I had to work with were of some substance in character (similar to myself). Previous to working there, I'd had only entry-level, part-time jobs working (for the most part) in retail. The hardest part of the job was continuing to set aside a sense of 'self-identity' in order to function optimally in a para-military setting. The best part was all of the terrific colleagues with whom I became acquainted; and also having close camaraderie with the tens of thousands of people I screened.
An Extremely Important But Thankless Job
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLAugust 24, 2016
Working in the uniformed section of the agency is very trying. There are numerous rules and regulations that must be followed and as a Supervisor you have to ensure not only you, but your entire team follow these rules. You are also the last line of defense before passengers get on to an airplane and that often makes the job we do unpopular and unappreciated. Our local management is very supportive. You learn to be extremely patient and flexible and to know when to stand your ground, because others can forget just how extremely important every decision we make on the floor actually is. I enjoy the people I work with, the people who work for me and the people I work directly for. We all get along extremely well and everyone understands what needs to be done and the reasons we are doing it.
Pros
Excellent benefits including retirement and health care
Cons
Working holidays
Misery
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2016
Do not work for TSA, EVer! unless your unemployed and need a job badly. If you went to college for 4 years DO not join this dead end of an agency. Unfortunately I fell for the trap and now I am stuck and depressed. They have people with G.E.D's being promoted to leadership positions and have terrible customer Service Skills. Meanwhile, the officers with degrees and who know more about leadership than their own supervisors get stuck at the very bottom. Look away, not worth it. You will be treated like a child and talked down upon for simply doing your job by both the passengers and Management. You are always on probation because you need to test every year to keep your job, their training department is pathetic, no one knows the correct procedures, forget your social life, they always deny your leave request, if you use your "entitled" sick time you will get placed on leave restriction. Its a mess. Go for other agencies like FAMS or customs.
benefits
Cons
Every day was a new, challenging and rewarding day.
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TxOctober 10, 2015
I conducted interviews with travelers requesting admission into the United States. It was my job to decide that they were who they say they were, and whether or not their story would sound reasonable. Upon any inconsistencies, I would refer the vehicle for a more thorough inspection. I recieved extensive training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center to educate me in determining potential imposters, alien smugglers, drug smugglers, or any threat to the national security of my country.
Pros
Pay, benefits, job security
Cons
Short lunch break, midnight shift, working in the Laredo heat
Outside of the office type of work, so it was never boring.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saipan, MPMay 31, 2016
I was volunteering so, it actually depends on the event. But when ever there are events for Homeland Security, all I'd be doing is giving outreach material, giving the public some basic information about what Homeland Security does, and show them around the command vehicles.

I learned that Homeland Security really cares for the people. They have so much equipment, procedures during a crisis, and what they have to endure when something happens.

There were no hard parts of the job.

Although, the most fun parts were the fact that I got to meet new people and be a part of something big. Working with a federal department for community service is different from just picking up trash on the side of the road, it gives you some insight as to how much these guys work.
Pros
Gain community service hours.
Cons
N/A
Fun workforce
TSA (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2016
I enjoyed working with most of the employees, those that I associated with were very nice, and friendly people. A typical day would be getting briefed on anything new that we would have to be aware about, how the lanes would be run depending on the different programs selected for the check point. I would check backs conduct screenings for bags or passengers. The hardest part of the job was having doing your job when people were being rude and disrespectful, offending you because they didn't want their bags to be checked or they were running late. Management was like any other company always trying to get things done in an orderly process. I learned that in order to achieve in a work place one must go to work with a positive mind and not let others despite your encounters affect your day or prevent you from doing what it is you need to do.
Pros
Fast pace environment never dull, always different experiences with customers
Cons
doing my job and listening to people offend me due to the TSA protocols
Great place to work!
Legal Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 1, 2016
I learned new aspects of immigration law new everyday and that kept me constantly interested and committed to coming to intern everyday. The work environment was very open and all attorneys had an open door policy and are more than willing to answer any questions i have. The hardest part of the job was learning the difference between state court and immigration court. However, the most enjoyable part was being a part of something for a greater good and gaining that learning experience.
Pros
Great learning environment, and feeling comfortable in the workplace.
Cons
Not be able to join litigation purposes, and other aspects of the job because of the lack of security clearance.
Physical Fitness training is encouraged
Disaster Assistant Employee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30341March 7, 2016
A typical day on the job consist of Proofing reading letters from 8 state leads.

I've learned so much from my fellow employees.

My manager supports my continued education to further my career.

My co-workers are very supportive.

Note taking would be the hardest part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job knowing that I am a part of FEMA.
N/a
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 15, 2016
Good benefits, Semi flexible schedule. Stability in job. Screening for front line work force is minimal. Sometimes extremely vindictive environment from management.
Very good benefits for my family
System Administrator/LTSO ITT Team (Current Employee) –  Saint Ann, MOMarch 9, 2016
The federal government has been working to establish relationships with the private sector and the public to improve relations, but the next administration will have to consider whether to consider everyone of equal importance. The benefits at the DHS is really something that is hard to find at a job in todays day and age.
Benefits
Cons
Communication
Good company to work for
U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBP) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 5, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Good support of miliary reservists
Cons
Red tape

Department of Homeland Security Reviews by Location