Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 1,443 reviews matching the search
Great place to work, you have an on-site gym to workout
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 31, 2016
Exciting and challenging place to work - Fast pace and never a dull moment.

Typical work day: End user calls regarding assistance with various system applications

What I learned: Technology never stays the same too long, always changing

Management: Great Bosses and always supportive

Co-workers: Great group of folks always willing to lend a hand

Hardest part of the job: Never enough resources to do everything needed.

Most enjoyable part of the job: Ensuring that systems were always operational and when things got out of line, getting everything back to normal as quickly as possible.
Pros
Great vacation benefits
Cons
always on call - you can not have a 2nd job while employed at DHS
An Extremely Important But Thankless Job
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLAugust 24, 2016
Working in the uniformed section of the agency is very trying. There are numerous rules and regulations that must be followed and as a Supervisor you have to ensure not only you, but your entire team follow these rules. You are also the last line of defense before passengers get on to an airplane and that often makes the job we do unpopular and unappreciated. Our local management is very supportive. You learn to be extremely patient and flexible and to know when to stand your ground, because others can forget just how extremely important every decision we make on the floor actually is. I enjoy the people I work with, the people who work for me and the people I work directly for. We all get along extremely well and everyone understands what needs to be done and the reasons we are doing it.
Pros
Excellent benefits including retirement and health care
Cons
Working holidays
Misery
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2016
Do not work for TSA, EVer! unless your unemployed and need a job badly. If you went to college for 4 years DO not join this dead end of an agency. Unfortunately I fell for the trap and now I am stuck and depressed. They have people with G.E.D's being promoted to leadership positions and have terrible customer Service Skills. Meanwhile, the officers with degrees and who know more about leadership than their own supervisors get stuck at the very bottom. Look away, not worth it. You will be treated like a child and talked down upon for simply doing your job by both the passengers and Management. You are always on probation because you need to test every year to keep your job, their training department is pathetic, no one knows the correct procedures, forget your social life, they always deny your leave request, if you use your "entitled" sick time you will get placed on leave restriction. Its a mess. Go for other agencies like FAMS or customs.
benefits
Great benefits!
Passenger Screener (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2016
The job it self is a good job for the salary that you receive but it can be a headache. Dealing with the public can be very stressful at times! Don't get me wrong there are some good people out there that do appreciate the work that we do but there are also some mean, rude, and disrespectful people! If you are interested in this job please be aware that you have to have a leveled head and clear mind coming in! Because there will be someone that will try to push your buttons but you have to remember you will only see those people for a couple seconds out of your life!
Pros
Provides transportation benefits!
Cons
Too far!!
Job with significant meaning
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 30, 2016
I enjoyed working in this position as I believe it is an important part of national security. The position of Behavior Detection Officer was especially fulfilling as it gave me the opportunity to use past military training to circumvent potential threats to aviation.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
disconnect between leadership and workforce
If you dont mind long days
LEAD TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 16, 2016
Management is not ideal. You work a non traditional schedule and have no weekends off. No promotional value that's worth anything. Only entity in the Federal sector that is not on the GS pay scale which means no raises.
Good coworkers
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCNovember 28, 2016
Coworkers are honestly the best part of the job. Management however is not. They're constantly out to get their employees in trouble and really don't want anyone to move up within the company.
Pros
Coworkers and benefits
N/a
Office of the Chief Procurement Officer (OCPO) (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 23, 2016
Really like working here- great place to work.

Great work life balance.

Outstanding benefits.

Great co-workers and management,
Fun job with many opportunities to advance.
Agent (Current Employee) –  Cotulla, TXDecember 22, 2016
So many different exciting details and different areas of work that it feels like you should be paying them for the experience!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Shift work, long hours
its a job
Behavioral Detection Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 28, 2016
good to start a life. Schedule sucks .excellent benefits .wish the hours was more family friendly .pay is good but raises are minimal at best. still growing .
benefits
Cons
schedule
Dhs
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 29, 2016
Overall the company is a great place to work for and a lot of room for many opportunities and advancement. You can get a lot of overtime plus bonuses at the end of the year for doing your job. Working at an airport you meet a lot of people from all over the world. As part of the federal government you also get great benefits.
Pros
flexible shifts, bonuses
Airport Security
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 30, 2016
Stable job with good benefits. Very busy in the airport but time goes by extremely fast. Lots of opportunity for promotions.
Pros
Good schedules
Cons
Very, very busy
Great pay
Human Service Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Denton, TX 76202December 12, 2016
The pay and benefits are great.

The employees are a family. Sometime we put in so many hours that we lean on one another which brings us all closer
BENEFITS
Cons
NO FAMILY LIFE
Great diversity and helping the community
Public Assistance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2016
Help the communities that suffered hardships during a disaster, seeing what devastation mother nature can do and then going in and fixing what she destroyed puts a great feeling in everyone.
Pros
meet and greet county commissioners, dpw, tribal communities
Cons
No benefits as a reservists and away from home for a long period of time
Enjoyed helping to keep america safe
Luggage Handler (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2016
worked with very good people of like minded people Worked with people I respected and trusted . Learned how our Government keeps us all safer
Pros
working for the US goverment has great benifits
Cons
long drive to work
One of the best federal job and competitive
US Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 21, 2016
Job description and job responsibilities, training, benefits and pride of what the agency does of its mission contribute vastly to enforcement of our laws and regulations enforcing trade, admissibility of persons entering the United States.
Great Job, Lousy Managment
Federal Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 10, 2016
Great and easy job but Management and testing are by far the worst.

Training and education is excellent
Benefits and Pay are great

politics and favoritism run rampant within the agency
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Co-Workers, Uniforms
Cons
Managment, Politics, Annual Testing (to keep job)
Poor Culture and Work Life Balance
External Affairs (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 18, 2016
There is a reason why FEMA is rated 306 out of 320 in recent surveys of ideal places to work in the Federal Government. There is absolutely no work life balance for employees that get deployed to disaster sites. They are away from home for lengthy periods of time but are not compensated for the deployments apart from M&IE. Apart from that, FEMA is a dull, vaguely cultish, and intellectually vapid place to work. I would recommend other federal agencies like DOD or State Dept. before looking at FEMA or any other DHS agency for that matter.
Pros
Cons
Poor work life balance, poor salary
great place to start out
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 23, 2016
Its a great intro to federal security. People are really nice and generally layed back. Good pay for what you do and decent benefits.
Exciting Workplace
Applicant Service Specialist 9/11 (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 13, 2016
Provide housing assistance for 200 plus cases of displaced victims of Hurricanes Katrina. Rita, Gustav,and Ike. Point of contact as Assistant Team Lead/Reviewer. Processing of applicants paper work. Submission of time for my team to be processed by payroll. I have learned the importance of accountability, and ownership of my job. Most hardest part of my hob was being able to locate housing resources for my applicants. What I enjoyed the most about my job, was being able to help people find housing and getting them back to a sense of a normal life.
Pros
Great pay and great benefits
Cons
laid off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.