Department of Homeland Security

1.2K reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

exciting and fun place to work with room for advancement
Transportation Security Screener (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 30, 2015
Pros: one hour lunch break, getting paid an extra 8 hours before and after holidays, cost of living increase at the begining of the year.
Cons: on probation for a year, workinng with a thousand passengers an hour, picking up bags weighing 70 to 90 lbs per hou12.
My typical day at work would be screening passengers in both baggage and passenger sections of the airport depending on where I was needed because I held a dual position in both passenger and baggage department I learned the value of teamwork. I had a great supervisor and dedicated co workers. the hardest part of the job was trying to to get the passengers to cooperate when they are late to hurry.the hour lunch break and double time before and after holidaysost enjoyable part of the job was doing a good job.
FEMA
Administrative Office Intern (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 30, 2015
Great internship! Learned about about disasters and the work that goes into the pre, during and post disaster! Did a lot of excel spread sheets and learned about the FEMA culture!
productive and fun
FEMA Corps Member (Current Employee), DCJuly 30, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: short breaks.
It is a great experience because we are productive, and we get things done. that is our motto. i believe the fact we get to help people in need is truly a good feeling that i am proud to be part of.
a good start to getting into the government sector.
TSO (Current Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 28, 2015
Cons: hours are not always condusive to home life.
The job itself was easy enough. dealing with the public at all times, this made things interesting and fulfilling being able to help someone. Management was efficient with what they had to work with. Problems come from higher up and Washington DC. Downside TSA is the most abused government entity, they are the most tested of all agencies and that does wear you down a little each year.
New
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 28, 2015
Excellent place to work. Great work life balance and wonderful location. Great atmosphere. Healthy environment and very forward thinking.
Work here at your own expense
Accountant (Former Employee), Rosslyn, VAJuly 27, 2015
If you can be shown how do to a job one time and "own it" this is the perfect place for you. I was shown how to do a job one time and expected to be a subject matter expert after only being there for one month. The director's idea of leading is going to meetings all day and singing around the office. In addition, The Reporting team I was working on team lead was awful with no bedside manner at all.
If you are honest someone will lie to get you out
CBP Officer/Program Manager (Former Employee), Reston, VAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Good salary and future
Cons: Do too good a job and someone will put your head on the chopping block.
A good career however the rulers push for favorites and criminals to excel. Dishonesty is rewarded. Friendships excel while harrd workers get pushed off or out.
commission sales
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 26, 2015
I think only seasoned sales people should apply. There is a slight learning curve and you must be mentally tough. Good management...good job for people persons.
Run and dont look back
TSO (Current Employee), MBS Saginaw MiJuly 26, 2015
Pros: free parking
Cons: see review
The mission is an important one there is no doubt about that but the means to which it is achieved is seriously flawed. Your spirit and your heart and soul will be ripped from you and crushed then lit on fire and burned. And while that's being done they will look you in the eye and tell you how much your appreciated. Don't expect a raise either. TSA will spend millions to see to it that you don't get a penny.
Other then that its a great place to work...............
Very fast working, organizing environment
HAZARD MITIGATION GRANTS SPECIALIST (Former Employee), SRO New JerseyJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Good healtcare, benefit.
Cons: Very fast working environmnet with a lot of trainings and tests
Every working day is different, very productive, under pressure. I learned a lot of laws and regulations and how to implement them to approve projects. Management changes frequently because employees are from the whole USA and rotate. The hardest part of the job is working under Supervisor who is not a good manager. I enjoyed my working day every day, special I like to cooperate with other agencies, only you have to be very psychological strong to challenge coworkers - leaders they don't know act professional (don't know how to act under pressure).
Productive and interesting
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Atlanta,GAJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Government job
Cons: Negative views due to media
The most enjoyable part of this job is the people you meet on a day to day bases and your coworkers. Lots of security info to be learned. Can be repetitive and sometimes difficult to advance
Government
Deportation Officer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 23, 2015
Working for this organization has it's rewards and limitations. Though the job pays well there are many restrictions placed on the personnel actually out conducting the day-to-day business as well as the ever-changing politics.
review
Law Enforcement Contractor (Former Employee), Bridgeport, CAJuly 23, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: hiring freeze
This was a wonderful company overall to work for. Unfortunately, the DoD hiring freeze affected many of us.It was an excellent way to learn about customer service and law enforcement
TSA Security Screener keeping the Airport Safe
Transportation Security Administrator Screener (Former Employee), Queens, NYJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Finishing the day with no problems
Cons: To Formal
A typical work day detailed me keeping the airport safe.
I learned many things such as, securing areas, staying alert
and scanning procedures.
My co-workers were helpful.
The hardest part of my job was standing for most of the day.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with my colleagues.
A very diverse place to work covering all areas of security.
SENIOR ACQUISITION ANALYST (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Secure job.
Cons: Very little leave as a contractor
The wide variety of people that you come in contact with on a daily basis and their various types of job assignments. The diverse nature of each job assignment.
Very stressful, work the hardest i have ever worked in my life
Cook 1 (Former Employee), Florence, AZJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Mostly everything else
Very hostile environment by the, worse management i have ever worked for. Felt so un appreciated, Caused health problems to me
United States Coast Guard Active Duty
Maritime Enforcement Specialist (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Big boy rules with Alpha mantality
Cons: Command is occasionally so risk adversed it's dangerous
The MSRT should be the pinnacle goal of any Maritime Enforcement Specialist. This is the most difficult and complex job offered in the USCG, it also is the most rewarding.
I liked what I did and enjoyed most of the Employees
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 20, 2015
Pros: clothing allowance, free rosette stone, healthcare
Cons: long time standing in one place
TSA was a Great place to work, everyone pulled there weight and did what they were expected to do. some more than others but that is the way it goes in an institution like that.

Learned how communicate with a very many different types of people from different cultures, so I learned a few phrases in different languages to break the Ice. Learned how to read people very well and determine if they are threat or if something is wrong or bothering them.

Would like to speak ill of management and supervision so I will just keep quite on this matter.

hardest part of the job was putting up with all the demands from the FED government to keep our jobs, every year we would have to recertify to keep our jobs, which is funny considering we were the lowest paid Fed Employees.

Most Enjoyable part was meeting all those different types of people from different cultures, and dealing with the problems that arose from people not understanding or not wanting to understand our laws.
Under paid Marines
crew chief and meritorious promotion to Corporal (Former Employee), 29 Palms CaliforniaJuly 20, 2015
under compensated, deplorable living conditions, stressful and always on guard. They need a break. But because of the history and camaraderie it's the best job I've ever had.
Ok place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 13, 2015
Pros: heathcare
Cons: low morale
Very low morale in all organization. Co-workers passed on blame and not corrected problems. Very low morale in all organization. Co-workers passed on blame and not corrected problems.