Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 1,419 reviews matching the search
Rewarding and interesting with lot of responsibility
Special Agent (Criminal Investigator) (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 6, 2016
Excellent opportunity to gain experience in all areas of enforcement. During your career, you will frequently change groups in the office to experience different areas.

Lot of writing, sometimes long hours and some frustration in dealing with others whose goals are much different than yours.
Pros
Freedom; experinces; travel; ability to move
Cons
Dealing with others whose goals are not the same as yours.
poorly managed and discrimanatory work place
Network Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Del Rio, TXDecember 4, 2016
Tasks are not assigned equitably and preferences are blatant. Poorly trained and unqualified management. Some co-workers are great, others are less than mediocre. Hardest part of the job is dealing with a hostile work environment and cronyism.

Most enjoyable part of the job is supporting customers in mission.
Pros
customers who appreciate your work
Cons
Poor management and hostile work environment, cronyism
A great place to work when learning about Cyber Security and Communications
Budget Analyst (BFA) (Current Employee) –  1100 Glebe Road Arlington, VAOctober 24, 2016
I have been working at US Department of Homeland Security full-time almost two years as a contractor.

Pros

Sense of mission and pride in advancing Homeland and National Security.
Plenty of opportunities to take on projects and activities that are interesting and important.
Training opportunities abound

Cons

- Difficult to move around within the Department. The agency seems to only hire withing and veterans are always given preference.
My advance to DHS Management is to give outsiders an who are non-veterans an opportunity to make a difference within the organizations.
Experienced and trained
Emergency management Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Punta Gorda, FL 33983October 22, 2016
FEMA has gave me a high standard of training and experiences from all levels.
I worked alongside experts and co-workers who treat you like family.
Making on the spot decisions to assure the safety and completion.
Represented the US Government at our highest expertise and respect.
Helping people and completing our mission across America and it' territories, was most comforting.
Pros
Travel to sites across the state
Cons
Away long periods at times and long hours.
Productive and enjoying place to work for
Mission Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 12, 2016
I enjoyed every minute of the type of work I was doing for Department of Homeland Security especially in payroll, budget and working with numbers. It has been a very challenging experience. It been busy each day, which was everyday and enjoying coming to work knowing I have work ahead of me.

The co-workers are very helpful when needed. Some offices provide guidelines and others, they would like for you to help create guidelines.
Pros
Enjoying walking on my lunch hours
Cons
Never enough hours
Analyzed
Human Service Specialist, GS (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDSeptember 21, 2016
Oversaw implementation of support plans that sustained organizational viability. Managed logistics for wide range of projects and services. Organized, analyzed, and interpreted information in terms of problem and solution management to assist management in decision making. Reviewed operations and initiated appropriate action to address vulnerabilities and potential weaknesses. Ensured federal compliance for data entry and recording. Implemented and monitored systems for clear, effective communication patterns amongst employees, administrative staff, and senior management.
Great benefits!
Passenger Screener (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2016
The job it self is a good job for the salary that you receive but it can be a headache. Dealing with the public can be very stressful at times! Don't get me wrong there are some good people out there that do appreciate the work that we do but there are also some mean, rude, and disrespectful people! If you are interested in this job please be aware that you have to have a leveled head and clear mind coming in! Because there will be someone that will try to push your buttons but you have to remember you will only see those people for a couple seconds out of your life!
Pros
Provides transportation benefits!
Cons
Too far!!
Great Place to Work
District Adjudication Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2016
I loved my job. I got to meet many people from all walks of life and culture. I was able to touch many life's. I learned a lot about people. The best manager was one that allowed you to do your job according to the law. I had great co workers. We worked together to accomplish the goals of the office. The hardest part of the job was having to deny an applicant and have them deported back to their country where some of the living conditions were deplorable.
Pros
Award ceremonies
Cons
Case load sometimes
Great opportunity!
Behavior Detection Program Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 7, 2016
Working for DHS was a great opportunity that I will forever be proud for. It was a great opportunity to serve our Country from the very lowest ranking, entry level position, to being a member of Senior Staff and making decisions daily that impacted an entire workforce and the community.
Pros
Opportunity to advance career.
Cons
Required substantial time "after hours".
A day at DHS
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCSeptember 11, 2016
DHS is very fast paced environment, not in a acquisition sense, but from a policy point of view. Management is great and so are the co-workers. The hardest part of my job is disconnecting. It is very easy to get engulfed in your work. The most enjoyable part is being around so many who really care about this country, peoples tax dollars, and the work itself.
Pros
Very close to policy makers. Will give you a new found appreciation for our Government
Cons
Not enough hours in the day. Every day is to be continued.
Excellent Place to Work
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 10, 2016
My typical day consisted of inspecting incoming and outgoing flights for safe travel. Ensuring national security for travelers, and translating for passengers. I learned to be patient and that early flights have many passengers on edge. My coworkers were very knowledgeable in their duties, making me feel at ease working with them. the most enjoyable part of my job was inspecting the planes.
Job with significant meaning
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 30, 2016
I enjoyed working in this position as I believe it is an important part of national security. The position of Behavior Detection Officer was especially fulfilling as it gave me the opportunity to use past military training to circumvent potential threats to aviation.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
disconnect between leadership and workforce
Overall average work environment
Financial Management Specialist - FEMA (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 1, 2016
Enjoyed deploying and supporting survivors in need. I enjoyed working with my mentors and learning in depth Financial Management rules and regulation, as well as, gained substantial accounting knowledge. The most enjoyable part of the job was deploying to various disaster states and providing disaster assistance.
Great place to work, you have an on-site gym to workout
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 31, 2016
Exciting and challenging place to work - Fast pace and never a dull moment.

Typical work day: End user calls regarding assistance with various system applications

What I learned: Technology never stays the same too long, always changing

Management: Great Bosses and always supportive

Co-workers: Great group of folks always willing to lend a hand

Hardest part of the job: Never enough resources to do everything needed.

Most enjoyable part of the job: Ensuring that systems were always operational and when things got out of line, getting everything back to normal as quickly as possible.
Pros
Great vacation benefits
Cons
always on call - you can not have a 2nd job while employed at DHS
Fun work place
Role Player (Current Employee) –  Anniston, ALSeptember 8, 2016
My job at Homeland Security is fun, I get to meet new people as well as help others. It's a very flexible work schedule. I enjoy what I do there. My job consist of acting out different scenarios. We work with different police academies, different branches of military services, animal control, nurses, and doctors. our job is to make their training as realistic as possible.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling
Cons
Not enough work hours in a week
Would be better if we were on the GS scale
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2016
The job is fine. There are a balance of good times and bad times dealing with passengers. The major set back about the job is that it is not on the same pay scale as other federal agencies. Most of us don't see this until we get in the job and want to figure out what's next. Without being on the same level as other agencies, the process of moving to another agency is more difficult than we initially believed.
Nice job to work
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30349August 15, 2016
Normal day consisted of processing the traveling public through the security checkpoint in a calm and professional manner. Interactions with the co-workers and management were pleasant and enjoyable, I learned a lot about the highest forms of technology, and for the most part enjoyed my time working at The Department of Homeland Security. Hardest part was all the continuous testing.
Pros
Decent pay!
Cons
To much testing.
Great work environment
MANAGEMENT AND PROGRAM ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 10, 2016
Work days fluctuate since they support the Telework COOP so you have to plan accordingly. In the Fee Management section I have had the opportunity to cross train in all sections and become more valuable to the team. Management is very caring and invested in your work and personal life to make sure you feel like family as you spend half your time with them anyway. The first job I have ever had where I didn't dread getting up in the morning to go to.
Good Entry-Level Position
Resource Support Specialist/Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 3, 2016
This is a good position for someone who is just starting out and needs to get on their own two feet. The hardest part of the job is being away from home and your family long-term. The best part is the blended culture staff and knowing that my work helps disaster survivors.
Fairly Typical Government Work
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 23, 2016
Overall, it was a great learning experience for me to work at Boston Logan International Airport for 11 years.
The stresses could be completely overwhelming at times, but generally that assured that the people I had to work with were of some substance in character (similar to myself). Previous to working there, I'd had only entry-level, part-time jobs working (for the most part) in retail. The hardest part of the job was continuing to set aside a sense of 'self-identity' in order to function optimally in a para-military setting. The best part was all of the terrific colleagues with whom I became acquainted; and also having close camaraderie with the tens of thousands of people I screened.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Homeland Security Reviews by Location