Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,301 reviews matching the search
Travel the world while serving your country
United States Coast Guard (Former Employee) –  Hilo, HIMay 1, 2016
I learned the importance or brotherhood and leadership skills. Responsibility taught at it's finest while bringing together individuals as one.
Great Job
Supervisor Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 28, 2016
This has been a great job. I supervisor many officers and screen passengers getting on airplanes. I work with the public on a daily basis. I have been taught many skills I did not have before joining TSA.
Pros
medical
fun place to work
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MD 20782April 27, 2016
get to meet different cultures, and work alongside them. getting to work with disaster victims, and helping them get through their day. also helping someone make a difference in their day. You have to have a passion for helping folks
Pros
teamwork
Cons
no privacy
Fast pace work environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 26, 2016
Each day was different in it's own by working with people flying out daily. Long lines at times along with lots of bag checks. Typical day was screening passengers and your property
Pros
Coworkers and working with people
Cons
Management and testing
good place to work when you enjoy working with the public
Supervisor / C.J. Luka (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97218April 22, 2016
A typical day at work was very busy the time would go fast, I learned to deal with people on a professional basis to include irate and angry passengers. Management could be tough at times, co-workers were good to work with. the hardest part of the job is we were always shorthanded at peak times. Most enjoyable times were dealing with people and working with old teammates.
Pros
fairly stable income
Cons
no pay increases for years
Office of Field Operations (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 22, 2016
It is a tremendous blessing to work for the American people and helping to keep our country safe. I get a lot of job satisfaction working for DHS.
Tsa
security officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 22, 2016
busy airports
mean passengers who though they didn't need to follow the rules
heavy work load
keep people safe
management was bad
a good place to work, and make money
case woker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 22, 2016
The co workers were great, and helping others was a very rewarding endeavor. I was able to develop new skills,l and work with interesting people.
Tsa
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 19, 2016
A great opportunity for graduated high school students to enter into the Federal Government. Job security is a plus but unfortunately the opportunity for advancement is not plentiful.
Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement
I believe in DHS mission
Database Engineer/Oracle SME (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2016
I will certainly be proud to remain in DHS to provide value and continue achieving its mission, and keep adversaries away.

Want to know more about Department of Homeland Security?

Ask a question
Interesting Job
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2016
Face paced, low pay and bad hours. However, the job itself is very interesting. There is a lot to learn and it's all sensitive security information, so I can't give details. Basically, you screen passengers and their property for weapons, explosives and incendiary devices.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Terrible hours
Under staffed
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 11, 2016
Understaffed and overly micromanaged. Do more with less is the new matto. Don't make a mistake though...the axe will fall.
Pros
pay and benefits are decent
Cons
no flexibility
enjoyable, friendly
Federal Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 7, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with TSA. I met so many new people, work with a great group, had many ponderous experiences. I had excellent training that I am able to use with most everything I do.
Pros
good pay, interact with people
Cons
the long drive
Disorganized/ Lack of communication
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 6, 2016
Lack of communication, no training, no team spirit and disorganized. Zero support throughout the organization. typical day was to support Chief of Staff( COS),Deputy Chief of Staff (3 DCOS) by DE-cluttering their outlook calendars and give support in other areas when requested. In my short-time I learned how to use Concur Traveler Software.
Pros
Cons
Lack of communication, no training, no team spirit, disorganized
An important job with purpose
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 3, 2016
I am honored to work for the TSA and am seeking a part time position for supplemental income. My scheduling can be difficult but hopefully something can be worked out.
Dhs
Resident agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 2, 2016
Tremendous job security and potential for career advancement. Challenging work environment. Excellent benefits. Chance to move to various places across the United States.
good
Public Assistance - Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2016
Excellent Position, Training, and job responsibility. Job requires the use of many skills to include diplomacy, technical education and flexibility. working with supervisors and with all levels outside organizations to ensure mission success.
I was kept very busy
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 1, 2016
Enjoyed my time with Homeland Security because I was able to help so many people with their problems regarding immigration issues.
Pros
Good bosses
Fun place to work
Transportation Check Point Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 31, 2016
Screening airport passengers
People Skills
Management was great
great Co-workers
Screening unruly passengers
Knowing our airways were safe after 09/11
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Unruly passengers
Learning Experience
Management Support Clerk Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2016
An awesome internship role! On a daily basics I would answer emails and phone calls, provide copies if needed, data entry and work closely with my team.