Department of Homeland Security
1,021 reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employer Reviews

A wonderful place to serve
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 23, 2015
Cons: great healthcare
The job was very stressful . Their is testing everyday of some type.
Great mission and good people
Information Analyst (All-Source) (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2015
People are highly skilled (for the most part) and love what they do. A positive place to work but unfortunately things are unstable and there is a lack of job security.
Fun work place, plenty of benefits.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: federal job.
Cons: time consuming.
A job that allows you to feel accomplished everyday. Ensuring that prohibited items are not entering the transportation system across the United States. Keeping passengers safe.
Transportation Security Officer
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: helping people feel more secure
Cons: dealing with people that don't really want to work, and bad attitudes from the public sometimes
The most enjoyable part of the job is the security of the job, and knowing that I'm helping the flying public feel a little bit more safer than normal, this gives me a good feeling of security
good benefits, diversity, public interaction
Transportation Security Screener (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: early morning hours
I met lots of wonderful people, which provided diverse interaction with the public.
Explosive detection canine handler
Explosive Dectector Canine Handler (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: dangerous
Keep explosive devices of the transportation system. The time I spent with my partner was great.
Fun place to work, excellent benefits
Supervisory Screening Officer (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great work environment, good pay for the virginia area
Cons: too many managers, too many politics
Great job but need to do away with the annual testing process.
open mind
Immigration Enforcement Agent, GS (Former Employee), york, paJanuary 20, 2015
expect people to feel that they can get rich through sucking up
Great expierence
Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: long hours
It was a great experience being part of a team where your teammates have their hearts in the job. Days were long, however at the end of the day, the people made it worth it. Unfortunately it was only a temporary position.
Great goverment job
LVN (Former Employee), Santa Ana, CAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: healthcare
Excellent benefits learned a lot working for the government. Lot of free certifications
Productive workplace
Cyber Security Analyst intern (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: federal experience, cyber awareness
Working for the Department of Homeland Security was challenging, but very rewarding. I learned how to operate in a stressful environment and satisfy urgent deadlines. A daily task was to brief federal officials of cyber activity each morning. The most difficult aspect of the job was managing each task and completing necessary training courses in a timely manner. All of the elements of this job were enjoyable and challenging.
Great Place to Work
Senior Counterintelligence (CI) Analyst (Former Employee), Washington DCJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: dynamic mission
Cons: commute
Everyday was a learning experience, DHS was continually re-inventing itself
Flexibility
Certified Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 14, 2015
Great flexibility. Plenty of room for advancement. Very diverse and always learning something new. Protecting the flying public gives you a rush integrity and accomplishment.
I can only speak for my experience
Information System Security Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2015
My supervisor is great but as I stated before every experience is different depending on where you land here. But I must warn you, there is no growth here.
“Not a bad organization to work for. ”
Federal Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 11, 2015
Benefits are great. Good stepping stone for younger people to get their feet wet within the federal government. Promotions are very hard to get. TSA will drive your morale into the ground. Micromanagement and favoritism by local senior leadership.
Amazing Career
Information Management Specialist (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: travel
I have learned so much working within the Federal Emergency Management. I have advanced in training and had the opportunity to work in different states with so many different hard working people. Also love that I could help assist applicants and survivors in getting assistance after natural disasters.
Detail oriented environment
Terminal 4 John F Kennedy Airport - TSO (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: knowing i provided a valuable public service.
Cons: having to pay for parking and the airtrain
There is just a great feeling being part of a team that provides such a vital service. Maintaining security at an airport is a challenge like no other, but I slept good knowing I played a part in getting people safely to their destinations.
poductived
Logistic, construction and completions (Former Employee), Guaynabo, PRJanuary 9, 2015
contruccion of offices and departments of various office supplies including food products.
Long Hours
Human Resource Specialist (Current Employee), VariousJanuary 9, 2015
Must be willing to travel. Very Rewarding. Work with different people.
I have always enjoyed a office where we could have little celebrations, but this office we didn't have the space and everyone would always leave immed
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee), 3801 Nebraska Avenue, NW, washington, DCJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: talking to interesting people worldwide
Cons: having to share office work space
A typical day is receiving 20 - 30 plus calls from customers worldwide
seeking travel information to or from the US or seeking assistance to file appropriate papers to become US citizens or assist/sponsor others to come to the US to visit or marriage.
I have learned the importance of planning well in advance of travel times by making sure all travel documents are current and securely stored during travel.
Qualified and skilled supervisors were a thing of the past. Often
times an operator would volunteer to sit in the position but had no real skills or qualifications to serve.
Due to conditions of the office that looked like the aftermath of a tornado with broken and ragged blinds hanging by one side. There was no extra space to sit or lounge around after ones shift ended or take a break or eat lunch. We were moved to a newly renovated space with the same set up, having to share desk, a hotel room size fridge and one must eat at the work desk. The relationships were just casual come and go, no pass down of information from one operator to the other that I was accustomed to.
The hardest part of the job was getting the callers to accept the information given as a response to their inquiries. They would often ask repeatedly "what if" questions until they would realized that it didn't change.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to have a caller thank me for my time and help and tell me what a good job I am doing and that I need a raise. I have one caller who calls back periodically asking if I got a raise yet and that I need to be given a raise. I will go online to look up information to help the caller if need be. I feel good knowing that the caller has been satisfied as best I know how.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Homeland Security

Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High – Read more

Department of Homeland Security Photos