Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,309 reviews matching the search
good place to work when you enjoy working with the public
Supervisor / C.J. Luka (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97218April 22, 2016
A typical day at work was very busy the time would go fast, I learned to deal with people on a professional basis to include irate and angry passengers. Management could be tough at times, co-workers were good to work with. the hardest part of the job is we were always shorthanded at peak times. Most enjoyable times were dealing with people and working with old teammates.
Pros
fairly stable income
Cons
no pay increases for years
A rewarding and obligated agency
Applicant Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 16, 2016
Provided help to disaster victims in obtaining resources, shelter, and financial assistance to cover living expenses, and real & personal property losses cause by nationally declared disasters. This was a very humbling, and rewarding experience knowing that I was ably assisting people less fortunate than myself.
Pros
Humbling, rewarding, and prideful
Cons
Tremendousy time consuming, somewhat depressing, and very emotional
ok place to work. Managemet dynamics has changed in the last year.
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 22, 2016
Each day is very busy with different projects and taskers that require immediate attention. Communication to complete assignments are unclear. Work/Life Balance is great depending on what office you work in and your supervisor. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to telework and work a compressed work schedule (day off every two weeks). .
Pros
work life balance
Cons
management
Exciting Workplace
Applicant Service Specialist 9/11 (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 13, 2016
Provide housing assistance for 200 plus cases of displaced victims of Hurricanes Katrina. Rita, Gustav,and Ike. Point of contact as Assistant Team Lead/Reviewer. Processing of applicants paper work. Submission of time for my team to be processed by payroll. I have learned the importance of accountability, and ownership of my job. Most hardest part of my hob was being able to locate housing resources for my applicants. What I enjoyed the most about my job, was being able to help people find housing and getting them back to a sense of a normal life.
Pros
Great pay and great benefits
Cons
laid off
Working for the US Government
OFFICE OF ENFORCEMENT AND REMOVAL OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 24, 2016
The pay rate is not that bad but your retirement pension sucks. Do not get injured at work because they will reassign you and or terminate you. They do not take care of their employees and treat you as a number rather then as an individual person. I do not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
You get to travel the world
Cons
Upper Management in HQ are so far out of the loop it's borderline criminal
Disorganized/ Lack of communication
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 6, 2016
Lack of communication, no training, no team spirit and disorganized. Zero support throughout the organization. typical day was to support Chief of Staff( COS),Deputy Chief of Staff (3 DCOS) by DE-cluttering their outlook calendars and give support in other areas when requested. In my short-time I learned how to use Concur Traveler Software.
Pros
Cons
Lack of communication, no training, no team spirit, disorganized
Poor Culture and Work Life Balance
External Affairs (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 18, 2016
There is a reason why FEMA is rated 306 out of 320 in recent surveys of ideal places to work in the Federal Government. There is absolutely no work life balance for employees that get deployed to disaster sites. They are away from home for lengthy periods of time but are not compensated for the deployments apart from M&IE. Apart from that, FEMA is a dull, vaguely cultish, and intellectually vapid place to work. I would recommend other federal agencies like DOD or State Dept. before looking at FEMA or any other DHS agency for that matter.
Pros
Cons
Poor work life balance, poor salary
Still a very young agency
Foreign Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2016
As far as the Headquarters element goes, there is a lot of work to be done. Many of the headquarters elements are top heavy, with very little employees in the middle and at the bottom. There are strides being made to hire more employees at those levels.

On the more positive side, there are many opportunities to hone your skills, often with senior leadership. The experience you have will depend on your chain of command and their relationship with their management.
Forever Changing
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 23, 2016
Supervising a screening checkpoint can be stressful and demanding.
You have to make sure that standard operating procedures are being followed and at the same time passengers experience is pleasant. Keep screeners brief on important information and new changes. The most difficult part of this job is keeping officers engage and focus during stressful situations.
Homeland Security Was A Great Job
Facilities Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Woods Hole, MA 02543March 16, 2016
I retired February 29th ,2016 and I am looking for a part time job
Maintenance Mechanic WG-10 STEP 5 DECEMBER 2014 to February 2016

Regular daily assignment:

My duties as a Maintenance Mechanic incorporate all aspects of the facility’s maintenance needs and requirements, to include but not limited to:
--carpentry, and remodeling rooms, and installing windows and doors, shingling new roofs, painting, installing suspended ceilings, tile floors, ceramic bathroom tiles;
--plumbing and pipefitting such as installing new bathroom fixtures and toilets, repairing broken piping systems from black iron to copper, replacing steam traps, radiators; and
--electrical such as replacing light fixtures, bulbs, ballasts.
Pros
teh best
Cons
Very good benefits for my family
System Administrator/LTSO ITT Team (Current Employee) –  Saint Ann, MOMarch 9, 2016
The federal government has been working to establish relationships with the private sector and the public to improve relations, but the next administration will have to consider whether to consider everyone of equal importance. The benefits at the DHS is really something that is hard to find at a job in todays day and age.
Benefits
Cons
Communication
Physical Fitness training is encouraged
Disaster Assistant Employee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30341March 7, 2016
A typical day on the job consist of Proofing reading letters from 8 state leads.

I've learned so much from my fellow employees.

My manager supports my continued education to further my career.

My co-workers are very supportive.

Note taking would be the hardest part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job knowing that I am a part of FEMA.
TSA Louisville
United American Security Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 29, 2016
This is a job for a person who likes to deal with the public on a daily basis.
Co-workers and Management are good
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset and angry passengers coming through the airport.
The job has great benefits and is an interesting place to work
Pros
Wages
Cons
subject to contact with passengers with diseases
Working for FEMA
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMarch 8, 2016
Playing my part in helping to rebuild the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina was very rewarding. Instead of having coworkers, if was more like an extended family. As we right sized and people left it was like family leaving. Management was great, from my immediate supervisor to senior management.

In the almost 10 years there, I learned alot.
Great Work in Public Service
Logistics / Facilities Manager Reservist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 7, 2016
I worked for FEMA as a Logistics Disaster Reservist in all parts of the country. This work was extremely rewarding and satisfying. Great job satisfaction, high morale, and a real test of your skills and abilities on every level.

I had little opportunity to become a permanent full time FEMA worker. However, I worked so much so often on disasters, I averaged around 70 to 90 hours a week. This was hard on my wife and family, as I was gone on the road a lot, and had no retirement or health insurance.

Our on site management was great and generally supportive. The extremely high morale of the FEMA staff made work a joy.
Pros
Helping people in th real world, good training, excellent pay, great morale
Cons
On the road all the time, no health insurance, no retirement. Extremely hard work.
Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work.
Deportation Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Please see my resume for job description.

Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work. I worked nearly every job duty including juvenile docket, victim witness coordinator, firearms/range officer, detained and non- detained docket, fugitive operations and prosecutions.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, supportive co-workers and limited supervision
Interesting Job
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2016
Face paced, low pay and bad hours. However, the job itself is very interesting. There is a lot to learn and it's all sensitive security information, so I can't give details. Basically, you screen passengers and their property for weapons, explosives and incendiary devices.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Terrible hours
its ok
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2016
its an ok job as a stepping stone, its ran like the military i would only reccommed this jobif you really are desperate you wont have time to spend with your family your only a security guard that takes water
Pros
pay you start at about 30k yearly and you onlyhave tohave a high school Diploma
Cons
time off is hard to get, everyone sleeps withevryone on the jobits cliqueish
government work
LEAD TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 8, 2016
Government work will always have it's pros and cons. It is a very secure job if you are flexible and are willing to learn and adjust very quickly. WIth TSA being the newest government agency they have allot to learn from other agencies. The morale and the work culture isn't the best or healthiest environment.
I worked daily as a senior CBRNE advisor and instructor
Senior CBRNE Program Coordinator (GS-13) (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 13, 2016
A challenging and exciting work environment. I was able to interact with and support members of USCG and develop lasting friendships. My supervisor fostered a very good work environment and kept an open dialogue with me. The most challenging part of my job was staying ahead of new and emerging capabilities.
Pros
great salary and benifits