Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,328 reviews matching the search
Poor Culture and Work Life Balance
External Affairs (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 18, 2016
There is a reason why FEMA is rated 306 out of 320 in recent surveys of ideal places to work in the Federal Government. There is absolutely no work life balance for employees that get deployed to disaster sites. They are away from home for lengthy periods of time but are not compensated for the deployments apart from M&IE. Apart from that, FEMA is a dull, vaguely cultish, and intellectually vapid place to work. I would recommend other federal agencies like DOD or State Dept. before looking at FEMA or any other DHS agency for that matter.
Pros
Cons
Poor work life balance, poor salary
Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work.
Deportation Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Please see my resume for job description.

Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work. I worked nearly every job duty including juvenile docket, victim witness coordinator, firearms/range officer, detained and non- detained docket, fugitive operations and prosecutions.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, supportive co-workers and limited supervision
TSA Louisville
United American Security Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 29, 2016
This is a job for a person who likes to deal with the public on a daily basis.
Co-workers and Management are good
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset and angry passengers coming through the airport.
The job has great benefits and is an interesting place to work
Pros
Wages
Cons
subject to contact with passengers with diseases
The hardest part of the job
(FQS) QA/QC PA Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2015
This job requires 24 hour notice with a requirement to work 300 days a year with no federal benefits while working for the federal government in disaster response and recovery efforts. Having to travel from disaster to disaster this requires leaving family and friends for several months to years at a time. There is no job security as this is considered a temporary job and when not deployed you do not receive a paycheck. Management is often younger less qualified persons that the experienced persons have been assigned to train because of salary restructure and downward salary trends.
Pros
Rewarding in aiding survivors of disasters
Cons
Temporary position with no benefits or job security
Very good benefits for my family
System Administrator/LTSO ITT Team (Current Employee) –  Saint Ann, MOMarch 9, 2016
The federal government has been working to establish relationships with the private sector and the public to improve relations, but the next administration will have to consider whether to consider everyone of equal importance. The benefits at the DHS is really something that is hard to find at a job in todays day and age.
Benefits
Cons
Communication
Horrible
TSO (Current Employee) –  Tampa FLMarch 25, 2016
Worst job Ive had, but the pay is decent. Government Benefits and Time off is nice. Management is beyond horrible. Constantly tested on the job with little to no job security.
Pros
Pay, Time off, Benifits
Cons
Everything else
Dhs
Resident agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 2, 2016
Tremendous job security and potential for career advancement. Challenging work environment. Excellent benefits. Chance to move to various places across the United States.
I worked daily as a senior CBRNE advisor and instructor
Senior CBRNE Program Coordinator (GS-13) (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 13, 2016
A challenging and exciting work environment. I was able to interact with and support members of USCG and develop lasting friendships. My supervisor fostered a very good work environment and kept an open dialogue with me. The most challenging part of my job was staying ahead of new and emerging capabilities.
Pros
great salary and benifits
Emergency Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Quantico, VAFebruary 26, 2016
Great place to work with the group of people that I work with. We all work together to get the job done. Main goal in this position if our officer safety.
Pros
Salary is awesome
Cons
No room for advancement
Every day was a new, challenging and rewarding day.
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TxOctober 10, 2015
I conducted interviews with travelers requesting admission into the United States. It was my job to decide that they were who they say they were, and whether or not their story would sound reasonable. Upon any inconsistencies, I would refer the vehicle for a more thorough inspection. I recieved extensive training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center to educate me in determining potential imposters, alien smugglers, drug smugglers, or any threat to the national security of my country.
Pros
Pay, benefits, job security
Cons
Short lunch break, midnight shift, working in the Laredo heat
Enjoyed working with professional co-workers.
Program Manager - Business Process Automation (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2016
I enjoyed assisting customers in solving business solutions. I learned how to deal with all types of customers and I loved working with my co-workers who were professional.
Benefits
Cons
Healthcare
Stressful, Fun, Unstable
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 10, 2016
Co-workers are some of the greatest people to work with. Everyone, even the best employee's can be terminated for failing a test.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, can be fun sometimes.
Cons
Constant threat of termination
Excellent field to work on
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 15, 2016
My experience in Homeland Security was excellent in very possible way. A typical work day included checking passengers as a Transportation Security officer.
Pros
Amazing benefits.
Challenging
Federal Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 1, 2016
Unfortunately working for the government can be challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and talking with different people everyday.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Morale
N/a
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 15, 2016
Good benefits, Semi flexible schedule. Stability in job. Screening for front line work force is minimal. Sometimes extremely vindictive environment from management.
Good benifits unstable management. I was very knowledgable in security procedures and accomplished a reputation of being an excellant officer.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2015
Very stressful working environment. Briefings at start of shift. Assigned work location after briefing. Teammates are either hard working or lazy. Officers have to balance work, passenger interaction and security procedures all at the same time. I enjoyed my job very much. I am unable to say what I learned due to my position was security sensitive.I had to be flexible to the direction of multiple managers. Each had their management style. Co-workers where enjoyable. The co-workers who did not pull their weight in tasks were difficult. The hardest part was the numerous tests we were required to take. I am unable to explain further (sensitive information). The most enjoyable part was assisting passengers with special needs. Making their screening experience pleasant was so satisfying.
Benefits
Cons
No breaks somtimes.
Not a fun place
Employee Services Branch Chief (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 15, 2015
Management has own agenda, you are of no concern. Very dog eat dog environment is what they support. There is no team. They search for a reason to "write you up" if you are not a "favorite". What it takes to be a favorite ... you may not be willing to sacrifice your morals and ethics.
benefits
Cons
management
Phx
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2015
Constantly changing environment... always busy, always something to do... Don't expect much out of management or passengers...
Pros
Great Benefits, Shift Work, Set schedule (6 month rotation)
Cons
Leadership, takes over 2 years to get full time
Typical Day
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Patchogue, NYSeptember 9, 2015
This job required alot of time and did not offer enough benefits(part time) or security to the employees. The management in my area were more concerned of the numbers than personnel and were not significantly team oriented. This was back in 2005 so if the agency has evolved or not I cannot be sure. So this would be unfair for me to state without providing the facts.
Run and dont look back
TSO (Current Employee) –  MBS Saginaw MiJuly 26, 2015
The mission is an important one there is no doubt about that but the means to which it is achieved is seriously flawed. Your spirit and your heart and soul will be ripped from you and crushed then lit on fire and burned. And while that's being done they will look you in the eye and tell you how much your appreciated. Don't expect a raise either. TSA will spend millions to see to it that you don't get a penny.
Other then that its a great place to work...............
Pros
free parking
Cons
see review

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.