Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employer Reviews

Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 25, 2014
Must work there to enjoy it. They really is a great company to work for, they offer great benefit package.
Great Work Environment
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Boise, IDMarch 23, 2014
Transportation Security Administration is great agency to work for. Promptness, flexibility and teamwork is what I learned most in this job. The hardest part about this job is when the traveling public get angry about the security screening procedures they undergo in order to ensure their safety while in flight. The enjoyable part is working with amazing – more... co-workers and having fantastic managers. Job advancements vary on the size of the airport you are screening for which is why I gave it a three. You can advance, but you must be willing to transfer elsewhere if the promotion is not for your airport. Benefits are great. – less
Enjoy working here
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 23, 2014
Enjoy working here. Good work life balance. Very busy airport.
fun workplace
Janitor (Current Employee), Brownsville, TXMarch 20, 2014
workplace was a fine place to work and with co-workers,learning something new everyday was good,there was nothing hard about my job I just did what I was told and that was it.
Department of Homeland Security, OIG
PROGRAM ANALYST (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 20, 2014
Pros: benefits, work/life balance, work is interesting
Cons: less international opportunities, budget cuts=less travel, training
My experience working as a program analyst with the Department of Homeland Security has been challenging, yet rewarding. I have had the opportunity of working with several government agencies to identify deficiencies in their programs and provide recommendations suitable to them.

A typical workday is filled with research, analysis, and constant communication – more... with auditees. However, there are several opportunities to travel and meet with auditees to conduct reviews and/or verbalize findings.

My co-workers are highly intelligent and very concerned with the overall mismanagement of tax-paying dollars. My co-workers work very hard to produce solid reports within a 6 month time period while ensuring noted descrepancies receive Congressional attetion.

The most difficult part of our job is the analysis, as we must be incredibly detailed to ensure our findings are both supportable and accurate. Often times, Federal regulations/laws may not align with internal agency-specific policies which creates discord. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with the auditees and listen to best practices they have developed to ensure programs are effective. – less
FEMA/ Deployment Specialist
Deployment Spacialist (Former Employee), Queens New YorkMarch 19, 2014
Pros: work with cultural diversity, meet people from different places, good salary
Cons: being away from the family
As Deployment Specialist assigned to Queens, NY for DR4085
Typical work day at Human Resource Department:
Manage HR front desk, provide excellent customer service to the staff with the check in for duty and the demobilization and rotation process follow FEMA policies and procedures. Help Payroll staff with office flow, copying, faxing, scanning. Assist – more... all the staff with form procedures and guidelines. Assist Human Resource Lead with appointments and office visitors. Kept all forms files updated.

Excellent management, excellent co-workers aware of the agency goals and mission.

The hardest part of the job was being away from family and the most enjoyable part was being able to help and support this hard workers; providing quality customer service to them. After long days and long hours it was an honor and privilege to help this staff. – less
Enjoyable
Transportation Security Officer, D (Former Employee), Dulles, VAMarch 16, 2014
Pros: government benefits
Cons: having to tell future employers you've worked for tsa
Good place to work, hours are constant with the availability occasionally for overtime.
want this back very good employment
Individual Assistance (Former Employee), Biloxi, MSMarch 15, 2014
you feel like you are making a difference in response and recovery i love this job
Support those people suffering from disasters.
Public Assistant Specialist (Former Employee), Windsor, CTMarch 15, 2014
Pros: meeting people from around the world, helping others in need
Cons: temporary work
Rewarding to help out people who are in total awe of lost family and possessions. I enjoyed working with my co-workers who were professional and very different cultures. Nothing is impossible when you believe and find reward in helping survivors. I loved working by helping support lifestyles and those who are in need.
internship
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 14, 2014
It was a fun experience, I didn't get paid because I was an intern.
New Goverment Agency
Transportation Security Manager (Former Employee), Charleston,SCMarch 14, 2014
Dedicated people working for TSA, thankless job. Public generally was annoyed but job is important.
stressful job environment/no room for advancement
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYMarch 12, 2014
Pros: health benefits/ 401k type savings plan
Cons: no room for advancement/ no job security
no job security, poor management, inflexible scheduling, pay raise non existent
Good
Contract Investigator (Former Employee), unknownMarch 12, 2014
Good company, busy work, good people, good compensation. Long hours.
Engaging and vigilant work in safeguarding the traveling public.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), SeaTac, WAMarch 11, 2014
I currently work at the Seatac International Airport, where I ensure the safety of the traveling public. I perform my duties by screening passengers and cargo. I do so using up to date x-ray technology, millimeter wave technology as well as interacting with the public. The job itself is not difficult. It does however require you to be flexible and adaptive – more... since dealing with people on an individual basis holds challenges in itself. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction you gain from doing a good job and helping people through what could potentially be a stressful situation. – less
Worked under pressure
Human Service Specialist (Former Employee), Trujillo AltoMarch 10, 2014
Work flow of calls were constant
Work more than eight hours
Excellent teamwork
Very interesting and rewarding work
Disaster Survivor Assistance Reservist (DSA) (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 10, 2014
Very interesting and rewarding work. Met a lot of good people and felt I was making a difference by helping them file claim with FEMA to get financial assistance from the disaster.
A very good place to work
Retired Program Manager (Current Employee), Boyer, PAMarch 8, 2014
Pros: allowed to work with little supervision
Cons: not enough staff.
I enjoyed my 32 years working for the United States
Government.
Very face paced enviornment/
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Oakland, CAMarch 7, 2014
A typical day at work consist of dealing with thousands of people in a fast paced environment. The goal of this job was to make sure all passenger were screened before their flight while keeping a positive attitude and paying attention to detail. Multitasking was a tactic that all must have while doing the job because the load of people coming through – more... the airport could reach 3000 within an hour. – less
Awsome job!!! New adventure everyday.
Recertification Advisor (Former Employee), LouisianaMarch 7, 2014
I met new people everyday. I enjoyed working and helpind people. My co-workers were the best you can have.
OKAY
FOIA Analyst, Contractor (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 6, 2014
Pros: our building is close to businesses
Workers seems to get along just fine. The hardest part is that we are all working in cubicles so no privacy, especially the kind of work that I do as Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Analyst.

About Department of Homeland Security

Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High – Read more

Department of Homeland Security Photos