Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,350 reviews matching the search
Physical Fitness training is encouraged
Disaster Assistant Employee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30341March 7, 2016
A typical day on the job consist of Proofing reading letters from 8 state leads.

I've learned so much from my fellow employees.

My manager supports my continued education to further my career.

My co-workers are very supportive.

Note taking would be the hardest part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job knowing that I am a part of FEMA.
Great Job, Lousy Managment
Federal Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 10, 2016
Great and easy job but Management and testing are by far the worst.

Training and education is excellent
Benefits and Pay are great

politics and favoritism run rampant within the agency
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Co-Workers, Uniforms
Cons
Managment, Politics, Annual Testing (to keep job)
Comission Sales
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande City, TXJune 24, 2016
I drove around and sold credit card machines to businesses. most appointments the commission side of the business was not in favor of those who are doing the sales portion nor was some of the clients that they would set up I don't recommend them as a employment for anyone.
Working for FEMA
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMarch 8, 2016
Playing my part in helping to rebuild the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina was very rewarding. Instead of having coworkers, if was more like an extended family. As we right sized and people left it was like family leaving. Management was great, from my immediate supervisor to senior management.

In the almost 10 years there, I learned alot.
TSA Louisville
United American Security Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 29, 2016
This is a job for a person who likes to deal with the public on a daily basis.
Co-workers and Management are good
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset and angry passengers coming through the airport.
The job has great benefits and is an interesting place to work
Pros
Wages
Cons
subject to contact with passengers with diseases
Good pay
O'Hare Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2016
It pays well but it is extremely strict. Be there on time and follow procedures. It's on your feet all day and very stressful. I have excellent customer service skills so I am able to adapt and maintain my composure under stressful situations .
Fast-paced, requires dedication and focus.
Transportation Security Agent (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 15, 2016
I am proud to work at an agency whose mission is to protect and serve the traveling public of the United States. The job is not easy. It requires dedication to the mission of aviation safety, patience, and intense focus.
government work
LEAD TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 8, 2016
Government work will always have it's pros and cons. It is a very secure job if you are flexible and are willing to learn and adjust very quickly. WIth TSA being the newest government agency they have allot to learn from other agencies. The morale and the work culture isn't the best or healthiest environment.
fun place to work
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MD 20782April 27, 2016
get to meet different cultures, and work alongside them. getting to work with disaster victims, and helping them get through their day. also helping someone make a difference in their day. You have to have a passion for helping folks
Pros
teamwork
Cons
no privacy
Fun workforce
TSA (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2016
I enjoyed working with most of the employees, those that I associated with were very nice, and friendly people. A typical day would be getting briefed on anything new that we would have to be aware about, how the lanes would be run depending on the different programs selected for the check point. I would check backs conduct screenings for bags or passengers. The hardest part of the job was having doing your job when people were being rude and disrespectful, offending you because they didn't want their bags to be checked or they were running late. Management was like any other company always trying to get things done in an orderly process. I learned that in order to achieve in a work place one must go to work with a positive mind and not let others despite your encounters affect your day or prevent you from doing what it is you need to do.
Pros
Fast pace environment never dull, always different experiences with customers
Cons
doing my job and listening to people offend me due to the TSA protocols
very busy fast pace work setting
Transportation Security Screener - Dual (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIMarch 24, 2016
Learned the latest screening techniques, worked in a diverse setting , worked with good people from all backgrounds. working at different checkpoints , I got to meet people from around the world.
Pros
busy and fast paced
Cons
everyone was not on the same screening page
its ok
Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2016
its an ok job as a stepping stone, its ran like the military i would only reccommed this jobif you really are desperate you wont have time to spend with your family your only a security guard that takes water
Pros
pay you start at about 30k yearly and you onlyhave tohave a high school Diploma
Cons
time off is hard to get, everyone sleeps withevryone on the jobits cliqueish
Great Work in Public Service
Logistics / Facilities Manager Reservist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 7, 2016
I worked for FEMA as a Logistics Disaster Reservist in all parts of the country. This work was extremely rewarding and satisfying. Great job satisfaction, high morale, and a real test of your skills and abilities on every level.

I had little opportunity to become a permanent full time FEMA worker. However, I worked so much so often on disasters, I averaged around 70 to 90 hours a week. This was hard on my wife and family, as I was gone on the road a lot, and had no retirement or health insurance.

Our on site management was great and generally supportive. The extremely high morale of the FEMA staff made work a joy.
Pros
Helping people in th real world, good training, excellent pay, great morale
Cons
On the road all the time, no health insurance, no retirement. Extremely hard work.
Great Oppertunity
Physical Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJuly 13, 2016
Good company to start a GOV contract with and interesting to work for. Like all companies they have their ups and downs, but for the most part I like them. If they were where I was planning on relocating I would try to stay with them.
Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work.
Deportation Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2016
Please see my resume for job description.

Great working environment with many different aspects within the field to work. I worked nearly every job duty including juvenile docket, victim witness coordinator, firearms/range officer, detained and non- detained docket, fugitive operations and prosecutions.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits, supportive co-workers and limited supervision
Cons
Public Assistance Project Specialist (Reservist) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2016
Writing Sub Grant applications and meake sure the funds are oblicgated.
Public policy.
Management is friendly
Away from home
Visiting new places.
Pros
Flexible work sechdule
Cons
No promotions, very slow move.
Working for DHS/TSA
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Working for DHS/TSA was a great experience. I enjoyed meeting new passenger everyday. The hardest part of the job was the language barrier with some of the passengers, but management and my co-workers worked as a team to get the job done even if we had to used sign gestures.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
The hours.
Energetic in the first line of security for transportation
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR 97238March 11, 2016
Learning what is necessary to protect the flying public is a never ending job as the terrorist threats continue to change. Understanding the importance of this job and teaching others in my field is important. Security is reality.
Fast pace work environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 26, 2016
Each day was different in it's own by working with people flying out daily. Long lines at times along with lots of bag checks. Typical day was screening passengers and your property
Pros
Coworkers and working with people
Cons
Management and testing
Allow me to get exposed to things related to my field.
Secretary's Honors Program Cyber Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10001February 8, 2016
Form a relationship with the employees, which can possibly help me now and throughout the future. Utilized the employee by asking them questions on a daily basis which allowed me to have a stronger knowledge within my field.
Pros
Builds your resume
Cons
Lack of training for interns

Department of Homeland Security Reviews by Location