Department of Homeland Security
1,076 reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employer Reviews

Over all good place to work
Officer (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLMarch 6, 2015
Pros: good pay/benefits
Cons: must relocate to advance.
The DHS is a great opportunity and a good place to work, with wonderful benefits and a competitive salary. However, if your looking to get the most out of this organization be willing to transfer and move, frequently.
Micro Managed
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 4, 2015
Typical day- Get in find where you will be working, report and deal with any decisions made by management on how you can do your job better with out asking any of the working what would help.

What have I learned- What many think is common knowledge, I'm finding is not so common.

Management- Micro Manage, Instead of letting supervisors do their job managers tell them what they should be doing instead of letting the supervisors handle their work area.

Co-workers- All ages, all races, awesome to work with and make everything written above bearable

Hardest part of my job- Not being able to grow as a person treat as children by the way you are spoken to, not challenging, and repetitive.

Most enjoyable part of day- Sadly to say but is when its time to leave
Temporary Assignment
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAMarch 3, 2015
Working for DHS was a seven years temporary assignment in which management reminded everyone that their jobs were temporary. The culture and management made it stressful to plan a life or future for yourself.
Complex mission
Advisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2015
The mission of FEMA is far more complex than I understood before my employment. Disaster response, continuity of government and grant management are all part of the FEMA portfolio.
OK place to work
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Linthicum Heights, MDMarch 2, 2015
Pros: godd co-workers
Cons: counter productive policies
With a diverse group of coworkers, you will learn many things about many different cultures. I learned to keep an open mind about things. Management will make you want to tare out you hair sometimes but they will help you if you need them too.
Child Support
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDMarch 2, 2015
Typical day, answering telephones, resolving issues,busy telephones, busy schedules, best part of time of the day when its over
poor management
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: federal employment with benefits
Cons: poor accountability of fellow workers
standard operation procedures wer not clear and often ignored letting dangerous items to slip thru the check point and get onto a commercial airline which would cause a disaster and loss of life
Very interesting to help others
DHS-FEMA Individual Assistance Reservist (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: help others, good salary, breaks, travel, meet new friends.
Cons: amount of work has decreased, healthcare only when deployed
A typical day is usually to meet with survivors of natural disaster to advise them on eligibility for Federal/State Assistance.

This is a very good job. My skills to work with a diversity of people; from fellow workers to the public, were strengthen.

Management is diverse. In each deployment I have a different manager. Some times I may have the same supervisor in different deployments.

Through this job I got to know many people, good co-workers. All together having in mind the agency's mission to support, protect, and mitigate all hazards for the citizens of this country.

Some times it was difficult because survivors of Natural Disasters are under stressful state of mind due to the lose of housing and many times due to the lose of a love one. So I learned how to deal with their emotions, and manage my own.

I learned to enjoy everything this job provides me with. I feel I have grown more and more not only for the duties I perform, but for the opportunity to grow as a person; spiritually, psychologically, and to be able to listen and understand others in need.

Therefore, I would love to remain working for this agency, but unfortunately, the deployments for employees in my Cadre, have significantly decreased.
Great pay but extremely poor management
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Current Employee), MaineFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: terrible management
Front Line officers are incredibly dedicated and are held to the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and accountability. The complete opposite is the case for management.
Pleasant Environment and Effect Training
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Midland, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great environment, continued training
Cons: scheduling conflicts
Regular Rotations.
Learned new skills pertaining to my job.
Was on the hiring comity.
Worked with greatly skilled people.
The yearly test.
The people I worked with.
Professional and rewarding.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAFebruary 22, 2015
Executive Assistant/ Facility Officer

• Oversee human resources related to injuries, training , law enforcement investigations, and related agency documentation integral for legal proceedings, transcription, interviews, time and attendance, awards, advancement, etc.; search and extract legal references in libraries and computer data-banks;
• Prepare briefs, reports, training manuals, appendices, correspondence, and intermittent policy for distribution; generate the presentation of charts and other visual aids;
• Implement, and update Facility Security Plans/Occupant Emergency Plans (i.e. emergency preparedness, response, and contingency planning) as appropriate;
• Plan, organize, and/or lead efforts to evaluate plans and proposals of projects involving broad areas of work processes, operational practices, and integration between functional areas;
• Gather information, identify and analyze complex issues, and develops recommendations to resolve problems of effectiveness and efficiency of work operations;
• Track documents through various approval processes within the agency, as it relates to procurement, acquisitions, and policies and procedures;
• Maintain master division and executive, calendars; schedule meetings, ensure operation of audio/visual capability, conference rooms and conferences; cancel and/or reschedule commitments as required, by higher priority demands or special commitments;
• Attend various meetings, provide a comprehensive report, and/or prepare meeting minutes as directed by the Division Director, Deputy Director, and Deputy Assistant Director;
• Administer – more... the notification, tracking, accuracy verification, and submission of division taskings as it relates to the Office of Under Secretary (OUS), Deputy Under Secretary, Freedom of Information (FOIA), National Protection and Programs Directorate (NPPD) requests, and the like;
• Maintain national databases for national training programs, program rosters, completion, and status reports, fleet management, Government Furnished Equipment (GFE), (i.e. gear issuance and credentialing);
• Ensure the telecommunication and security equipment is properly maintained, operated, tested and calibrated;
• Direct the operation of facility housing large numbers of occupants, involved in the specialized operations of more than one agencies consisting of approximately 70,000 square feet used for classroom instruction, operations, law enforcement physical, and qualification training courses;
• Evaluate and manage preventative maintenance and contract requirements, schedules, placement and delivery of centralized equipment systems such as large heating, air conditioning, electrical, and other technically complex systems required for facility operation;
• Ensure that space and building service needs are being met, respond to complaints, resolve competing requests for services, evaluate and monitor the use of available space by occupants’ needs as related to their mission within the limitations of available space and budget resources; advise parental agencies of space utilization and plan major space changes, as necessary for specialized improvements to facility layouts;
• Establish and maintain collaborative effective working relationships with the inter-agency officials, consultants, contractors, developers, vendors, employees, media representatives and the public;
• Develop annual budget analyses, justifications, and recommendations for acquisition and execution of mission essential requirements. – less
Great mission...with some drawbacks
Supervisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: flexible work environment with development opportunities if you are persistent
Cons: pay, lack of raises, lack of consistent funding for new initiatives
The mission of DHS is rewarding and very important. You feel like you are helping make a difference every day. However, it has become a very political "hot potato" so long-term important initiatives don't seem to last, which hurts the mission and the employees productivity. The management is sound, but reluctant to make some much-needed "hard" decisions.
Enjoyable place to work at. The shifts are just a bit of a problem.
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2015
Not as bad of a job to have. The hardest part would have to be the holidays and having passengers surrender certain items. Co-workers aren't too bad, everyone at the end of the day is a big family.
Exciting ever -changing environment
U.S. Border Patrol Agent (Former Employee), Douglas, AZFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great satisfaction from working as a team and getting the job done.
Cons: long hours, dangerous situations, and not always getting the guilty parties to prosecution.
As a Special Agent, assigned to the National and International contraband group at Los Angeles International Airport, I routinely worked closely with U.S. Customs and Border Protection import specialist to ensure Customs Brokers complied with U.S. importation and exportation laws. This afforded me the opportunity to work with a diverse group of professionals that comprise the top tire of this organization. Many of the people spoke several languages which made for an interesting amalgamation of different cultures. It was truly a gratifying learning experience. The most important thing I learned from my experience from the people I worked with was the steadfast dedication to each other in spite of the cultural differences. The hardest part of the job was having to say goodbye when the teams were transferred and or promoted to different sections. The best part was accomplishing the goals as a team and taking the cases to prosecution.
Good transitional job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: life changing experiences
Cons: hectic schedule
Switched between working park time and full time, depending on school semester schedule. Had many great and somber experiences (September 11th, Hurricane Katrina) in which I was able to experience first hand on some levels. Great coworkers and management.
A great and stable workplace
Transportation Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Newark, NJFebruary 18, 2015
A typical day is very interesting. From being an instrumental part of fighting terrorism and up keeping national security, there is never a dull moment. The hardest part of the job is collectively ensuring that security breaches never occur. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home at night knowing that you did everything in your power to make sure we live in a safe environment.
FYI for everyone: This Job IS the first line of defense at our international borders.
Lead TSA Officer (LTSAO) (Former Employee), Dulles, VAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great co-workers and airport food
Cons: potential weapon carrying homicidal maniacs and explosions, and of course the irritated passenger.
It doesn't matter to me what people may think of DHS/TSA employees but I have the highest respect for them and loved my job. The world changed on 9/11 and the USA had to make changes. It was a bumpy road at first and many citizens got angry. But it seemed to me the focus of that anger was directed at the TSA screeners. They were inconvenienced apparently not wise enough to get to the airport in a timely manner, as instructed by every airline, travel agency and travel information web site in the country. Complained about everything and only a handful were thankful.

These people are here to serve and protect us so at the next airport checkpoint you visit, somewhere in these United States, think about the oddballs suitcase on the Explosive Trace Detection table while the screener is testing it, and say a little prayer that it clears.

I hope you think of and thank those TSA screeners who may be injured or even give their lives doing that job for all of us. People may never know what treats were, are being right now and those going to be thwarted because TSA is in place. Remember – no one is perfect but they are there doing a job many others will not do and they pay ain’t that great for a job that is "Front Line Counter Terrorism".
Ok
Housing Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2015
It was nice to see that your thoughts and ideas matter. They did want you to put it in motion, which was nice to be able to do. They are staffing for admins for the FEMA
A place where contractors are second class citizens
Quality Assurance/Travel and Removal Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2015
great co-workers; poor management and acquisition team. Entire division was relocated to Arizona and it was not disclosed that out current positions were being advertised on USAJOBS prior to receiving official notification of job eligibility
Government security versus lack of innovative thinking
IMMIGRATION OFFICER (Former Employee), San JoseFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: government benefits
Cons: lack of a competent managers
USCIS rates as one of the lowest of all government agencies in annual surveys of best places to work in the US government, and with good reason. These low rankings are a direct reflection of the mission and job duties not being matching. The immigration system is broken. It is a pure numbers game with very little training given and no budget for future training. Advancement is dependent on longevity. Whoever is willing to stick it out in a dysfunctional system gets to then supervise the dysfunction. Prosecutorial discretion is code for look the other way and get the numbers. If you want to enjoy your public service career the surveys all say look elsewhere.

About Department of Homeland Security

Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High – Read more

Department of Homeland Security Photos