Department of Homeland Security

1.2K reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Under paid Marines
crew chief and meritorious promotion to Corporal (Former Employee), 29 Palms CaliforniaJuly 20, 2015
under compensated, deplorable living conditions, stressful and always on guard. They need a break. But because of the history and camaraderie it's the best job I've ever had.
Ok place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 13, 2015
Pros: heathcare
Cons: low morale
Very low morale in all organization. Co-workers passed on blame and not corrected problems. Very low morale in all organization. Co-workers passed on blame and not corrected problems.
Excellent place to work
Immigration Customs Enforcement Staff Advisor (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Plenty of work
Cons: Constant change
You must be willing to move if you want to advance, administrative and Section Chief jobs are located in Washington D.C.
Typical govenmetal job
Federal Agent (Current Employee), OhioJuly 11, 2015
Pros: seeing the world
Cons: crazy schedule
I'm unable to get into details, but the job requires a lot of traveling and limited weekends off. A very demanding work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing different places around the world. Thanks
very fast paced
Security Screening Officer (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and advancement opportunities.
Cons: Management wan't on the same page with certain issues.
Working for Homeland Security was quite an experience. I enjoyed my time there and made wonderful friendships. The shifts were family friendly and the co-workers always worked as a true team.
very important security job that needed strict attention
Security Officer (Former Employee), JFK Airport queens new yorkJuly 8, 2015
Pros: no free lunches
Cons: good benifits
Security was high priority at the checkpoint so you had to be on your alert every day. you learn to observe different behavior of travelers including how to run sufisticated equipment. working grave yard shift was the hardest part of the job.
QA/QC/Data Conversion Specialist (Current Employee), Arlington VaJuly 6, 2015
Great atmosphere with hard working individuals. Great Training and a fun learning experience. Learned alot of flood elevation information and the studies within.
Great Soldiers
Soldier (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 5, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: no benefits
Working for the Army will always be a tough job, and that is what I signed up for. I will love it no matter what. I woke up at 0330 every day, but once I got to work, my battles made it worth while. My feet hurt from standing with 40lbs of gear all day, and my head hurt from being hyper-vigilent, but I knew I was doing it for the American citizen and their safety.
Challenging, yet rewarding. Its a great office of fellowship and team work
Personnel Security Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Wealth of knowledge provided to those who are willing to learn and awsome team work
Cons: Management turn around is high
Wroking as a Security Specialist/Detailed Staff Assistant for my Division Director is my typical day
Ive learned extensive amout of knowledge of DHS rules and regulations
There has been 4 directors/ managers since Ive been there, so I can give an honest opinion on true management
My coworkers are very friendly, positive work environment, and have a wealth of knowledge to share
The hardest part of my job is not knowing your day to day assignemnt, because Im detailed to support the director which comes with a liue of changes and also work as a security specialist; however its very rewarding
Most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things, attending trainings, and the celebration of birthdays, holidays, and acknowledgement of staff achievements
Very productive place to work and the team work was great.
Transportation Security Screener (Former Employee), Orlando FlJuly 1, 2015
The support of the Supervisors and team leader were exceptional they expected the best and was always finding ways to keep your energy level high. The team work was the best.
nice friendly place to work
health Informatics (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 30, 2015
Working here you will never be bored lots of work everyone is soon nice.

Learned the differance sides of working with GS employees and working with Uniform people
unfair treatment to empployees
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Queens, NYJune 27, 2015
Pros: good starting job
Cons: does not work well with employess
Job has a very high turn around rate. Management does not work well with employees schedules. it does not provide any maternity leave pay for women. They provide no increase in pay when you are acting supervisor for months or when you are in charge or training new hires. They over work you and will break rules to have you open up checkpoints with inadequate staff.
Only government sector to employ straight out of High School
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2015
Pros: "Federal" status
Cons: Micromanaging
Selective service status allows you to receive Federal benefits and status within certain Government departments. You are trained fairly decent, but will remain in a part-time status for a lengthy period of time.
Very comfortable place to work at.
Legal Assistant (Current Employee), Los Fresnos, TXJune 24, 2015
I like working for DHS. It is a vey comfortable work environment and the employees are very nice to work with. I work along side with attorneys and conduct a lot of work related to court hearings and information relative to immigration courts.
This is a great place to work for if you can travel
IT Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Birmingham, Alabama (Disaster 2011)June 21, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, rental cars, great pay
Cons: only temporary
This was a temporary assignment only during a disaster. I learned many things while working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. I had excellent co-workers and learning new jobs was very exciting daily.
Productive place to work
Self Defense Instructor (Former Employee), Eagle Pass, TXJune 20, 2015
Long hours, stressful job

Benefits package is favorable

Enjoyed working as a team

no holidays off
bilingual is a must

legal documents need to be reviewed

not for anyone who cannot work under stress
FEMA
Hazard Mitigation Grant/Finance Management (Former Employee), Denton, TXJune 18, 2015
The jobs are challenging, but the staff are there to lend support. There is very little to no room for advancement within the agency.
Not a nice place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJune 18, 2015
Not worth it.
shift work
You work holidays.
Low pay
Poor management
Promotions not based on merit or experience.
Non-supportive leadership
Excellent
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJune 15, 2015
Excellent place to work. Flexible work schedules option to telecommute. Great benefits and plenty of room for upward mobility.
Nice Place
Intern (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJune 13, 2015
This area that I worked in gave much insight and much information on the process of gaining citizenship. It is not only a working experience but a learning experience. You get to learn more about the United States.