Department of Homeland Security

1.2K reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Not For Everyone
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 11, 2015
Pros: Always Different, New Challenges
Cons: The TSA have been in the news recently in many bad ways.
Working for the TSA was a very challenging job. There was always new threats and new ways to conceal things so you had to be very diligent and always ready. In my time there I learned a lot; time management, working with various people from the nice to the irate, working with management, Law Enforcement, passengers, people with disabilities and famous people.

I believe my time there really prepared me for my next role in the work force.
fast pace environment
Legal Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2015
There was always lots to do. It was interesting putting evidence together for lawyers. My coworkers were enjoyable to talk to.
Great place to work.
Federal Air Marshal (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 7, 2015
Lots of travel.******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Productive place to work
Mission Support Specialist, OIT/WMD (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
• Answering phone calls to the Physical Security main phone line
• Managing and maintaining the OIT Physical Security mailbox and the DSX system to grant or remove personnel from the system and/or access to the building
• Managing and maintaining the Restricted Area Access Group mailbox and the process of how one gain access and ensure all forms and documentation are processed and filed correctly for response to audits
• Troubleshooting and resolving issues with the Personal Identify Verification (PIV) cards for contractors and government employees
• Retrieving the Contractor Tracking System (CTS) to determine eligibility for physical access to the buildings
• Scheduling and issuing temporary and permanent badges and PIV cards to contractors and government employees per the CBP Office of Technology Physical Security guidelines
• Fingerprinting contractors and government employees for their background investigation
• Processing Form CBP346 for new contractors and government employees
• Represented the office in dealings with new employee orientation
Busy, stressful, and management does not take care of lower employees
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 4, 2015
Pros: Interesting veiw of the traveling public
Cons: stressful, and management does not take care of lower employees
Not what I expected, would prefer to feel as though my skills and potential where getting utilized better. some of my co-workers are wonderful to work with others are a bit depressing. the work schedual is undesirable. though I do actually enjoy the interactions with some of the passengers.
Benefits
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJune 3, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: senority
TSA is a great place to work if you are in need of a safe secure government job that has great benefits. Many opportunities for advancement.
ok place to work
Outside Machinist, WG8 (Current Employee), Curtis Bay, MDJune 3, 2015
Cons: No opertunites for advancement
Typical outside machinist/machinist duties. Use of manual and cnc machines laser and optical alighnments performed on various types of vessels and equipment.
Great place to work.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach SCJune 3, 2015
Enjoyed the inter action with the public. Job location was all over the United States. I worked on the National Deployment Force, which is a traveling screening team. It was a volunteer base team. Test scores and practical tests had to remain high to be eligible.
Job location was San Antonio Texas, Myrtle Beach SC, Charlotte NC, Harrisburg Pa and South Bend IN.
Busy
Office of Chief Counsel (Current Employee), Eloy, AZJune 2, 2015
crazy and busy as can be. Not paid enough for the amount of work to do. Need more staff. That is plenty I feel it could be better.
Overall great place to work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), GAJune 2, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: no longer term employee
Overall great place to work, great people and good insurance along with great retirement plan. Management is what is to be expected and any government agency.
Learning Experiment
Security Officer (Current Employee), Romulus, MIJune 1, 2015
Pros: The health benefits
Cons: The hours and the senority list being changed all the time, along with the continual shift bid every 6 months
Overall I enjoyed the job and the different challenges it brought forth each day. The interactions with all types of people from all walks of life. I learned customer service skills, patience, and time management. My coworkers overall were hard workers and a joy to work with, we mostly worked in team settings. The hardest part of the job was a passenger with a language barrier.
New Challenges
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJune 1, 2015
Pros: Government, safe career job
Cons: few opportunities for advancement, running out of challenges
Great place to work, its just time to move on to new opportunities and challenges. Great benefits and opportunities throughout career. A place you can retire from.
Professional, Well Skilled, Leadeship Qualified Individual
Inspector Gaylen Hawkins (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 30, 2015
Pros: The respect
Cons: Never ending work
My career is vast in many professions and trainings such as basic security officer, correctional officer, physical security specialist, law enforcement officer, investigator, and anti-terrorism instructor. I have been trained by the US Army, US Air Force, and Federal Government. I enjoy mentoring, teaching, defensive tactics, and investigations. I have certificates in leadership/supervisor schools.
NA
Transportation Security Officer - Part Time (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAMay 30, 2015
Pros: USA Government Job
Cons: Pay
This is a stressful environment with all of the problems of people who want to do harm to our citizens. Overall the management does a great job keep staff informed of dangers.
FPS day
BUDGET TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2015
Pros: working hours, convenient transportation, and Job security
Cons: lack of advancement
Working at FPS has been an amazing experience. I have learned a lot, and with a bitter sweet taste I look forward to the next chapter in my life. I have learned:

-Review and created budget plans
-Oversee invoices
-Rules and regulations of government transactions
-Manage security guards contracts
-Audit reports
-Create report for national security

For as much as I have loved working for the Department of Homeland Security the only way to advance my career at FPS would be to become a part of law enforcement. At the time law enforcement is not in my horizon.
Typical work day
Deportation Assistant (Current Employee), Burlington, MAMay 27, 2015
Pros: getting a criminal off the streets
Cons: current immigration custody standards
Assist agents in searching federal,state and open source data bases to find illegal criminal aliens. Every day you could be working on something different.
What every Scientist Dreams of
Contracted Scientist (Former Employee), Washington DcMay 26, 2015
Physicist contracted by the Oak Ridge Institute of Science and Education working on X-Ray tomography for the Department of Homeland Security. Held security clearance for the various workings of the Lab. Monthly reports were submitted on the progress of the current project.

Unfortunately I signed an NDA so I cannot go over a typical day of work.
Interesting work in unproductive place
Program Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 24, 2015
Some of the nation's most important work is done at DHS but the lack of diversity or skilled employees holds the Department back. If you're looking for a place that values workplace culture and new ideas, it may not be rewarding.
Great Teamwork
Contracting Officer |Senior Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 23, 2015
Our division, the Compliance and Removals Division at the Office of Acquisition, ICE, consisted of an integrated team of professionals who worked hand in hand to deliver the best possible service to our customers. It was a great experience!
Good "umbrella" department to work under.
Operations Specialist (OS) (Current Employee), Portsmouth, VAMay 17, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and work environment.
Cons: Changes in administration can shift focuses completely in a new direction, leading to unexpected transitions in personnel, work places and overall missions.
DHS frequently supports publicly the mission that the US Coast Guard does, giving enhanced visibility to the public and enabling the Coast Guard to enjoy increased cooperation form partnerships in mission execution.