Department of Homeland Security Employee Reviews

Found 1,627 reviews matching the search
Great job to learn a lot of new topics.
Investigative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Great job to learn a lot of new topics. The most enjoyable part of the job is that is public service and you would be serving your country.
Great benefits and pay. Can be very stressful.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 22, 2017
Its an easy job with great pay. Advancements are available and plentiful. However, this job is not for everyone. You have to be able to brush off the stress. A large majority of passengers are friendly and willing to comply with screening, but you WILL get passengers who will things difficult. Do not let them get to you.
Good pay
Telecommunications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2017
Unless you are one of the good old boys, you come to work, wait on trouble tickets to be assigned to you. If there is nothing assigned to you. You don't have anything to do. No supervision.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Not much work
Best place in the world to work
Administrative Officer GS (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2017
This position provided a caring atmosphere, stimulating work, diverse workplace culture, and a challenge that I had only dreamed about. Going to work was the most enjoyable.
Pros
The work itself was interesting and the staff was a team like I had never seen.
Cons
Long commute
Great steady work
Customs and Border Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 20, 2017
Great steady work. Lots of overtime required. Can get monotonous at times when it is slow at the airport. You must be diligent and alert at all times, our country is counting on us.
Pros
Your mind is always on alert
Cons
Lots of required overtime. Poor work life balance
Great Introduction to Federal Employment
Student Trainee (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 20, 2017
I worked a steady job with a consistent work flow that asked of me to perform tasks that I could handle well. This was my first job, and it was a solid internship. The only downside to my job was that it was temporary.
Government career was fulfilling after 25 years
Special Agent (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2017
I had a wonderful experience with the government after 25 years in law enforcement and four years in the Marine Corps and am looking for a new and exciting career.
Everyday is a day dedicated to helpinng
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2017
Everyday is a day that the workplace is a place where those who have faced a disaster is a priority. Budget activities are centered around making sure that funds are planned to maximized and spent as wisely as possible. The work is enjoyable because at the end of o the day, we know that our actions are connected to the benefit those who were in need.
Great job !
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 18, 2017
Great job great benefits. Easy work. Loved the job. I had to move out of state or I would still be there. Great training. Never a boring day
Too stressful for what you get out of job.
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 16, 2017
There is no benefit to working there, not enough salary and too much hassle. The job has no reward and is only good as a starting point to get your foot in the door to another government job.
Pros
government job
Cons
stress, salary
great opportunities available
Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 16, 2017
great division to work in minus politics and micromanagement. Cross training is available but not always approved. Lack of cross training approval. Need more senior leadership training for individuals who manage military personnel to reduce friction within the personnel ranks.
Fun and productive
Emergency Management Agent (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CA 91103February 16, 2017
Amazing atmosphere and great leadership
Fun place to work
The feeling of helping people in a disaster is awesome.
Great program with great benefits
Government
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIFebruary 16, 2017
Typical bureaucracy, if you are not part of the group you are not treated equally. Not treated fairly by management. Got let go based on hear say, they lost in court yet still didn.t get my job back.
great place to gain experience and knowledge
Immigration Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
theres never generally a day that is the same working here. you utilize the knowledge from case study and immigration daily. you must be sharp and fast reacting.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work/life balance
excellent environment
TSA Officer (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 15, 2017
great place to learn and help others. typical day allows for employee to feel accomplished, friendly people and advancement opportunities
Pros
fair shifts
Cons
Being able to help in the security of air travel.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 15, 2017
The management there are somewhat unorganized. There is a lot of lack of communication between the higher level management down to the supervisory officers. Overall the benefits come from having a federal government job with good benefits. The morale is very low due to poor management skills.
Day at Work
DEPORTATION OFFICER GS (Former Employee) –  Los Fresnos, TXFebruary 15, 2017
I was assigned to different duties; process and detain illegal and criminal aliens. I work out of a detention center so everyday I had to communicate with people from different parts of the world and learn their customs and beliefs. I was always assigned to do the communication with detainees because of my good verbal skills and comprehensive attitude.
Racist and favortism
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 13, 2017
The job itself is great and the benefits are good. The management is awful. They are racist and use favoritism to promote and assign duties. The upper level staff makes the job a horrible work environment.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Favortism
Nightmare a waste of time thinking it was government
Network Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 10, 2017
Work moral is the worst that i have ever seen. The management has no clue as to what they are doing. Breaks and schedules are horrible. The only place that was granted a union and because worse.
Great benefits, experience
Agent (Former Employee) –  various throughout the U.S.February 9, 2017
Can be difficult at times due to various restrictions placed on the investigators, and a large amount of duplicated paperwork requirements, which tend to be very time consuming. Once permitted to actually conduct investigations, the job can be very rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Vast amount of duplicated paperwork requirements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Homeland Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Homeland Security Reviews by Location