Department of Homeland Security

Department of Homeland Security Employer Reviews

Great benefits
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Alexandria, LAAugust 13, 2014
Benefits and Leave benefits are nice. It is a stressful job, and the work environment is not nice.
great benefits
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 11, 2014
Good benefits. fair place to work. Co workers are unique and diverse. Love the engagement with the passengers
Government Airline Security
Security Officer (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: being a government job ; the benefits were outstanding. as were sick leave and vacation days.
Cons: there was a high toleration for absenteeism and lazy workers.
Screening passengers, searching bags, X-raying bags, beside job skills, how to get along with people,and a lot about human nature. Management was often not that present on the checkpoint. Mostly my co-workers were able and well trained. Hardest part of the job was the inactivity late in the day when there was no flights and we were required to stay – more... on the checkpoint till closing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the idea that I was part of keeping America safe from terrorism. I also enjoyed talking to my co-workers. – less
My duties as a CC Officer
Coordination Center Officer for the E. TN Region (Former Employee), Alcoa, TNAugust 10, 2014
Pros: the peace and quiet to do my job without all the interruptions that were typical of the day shift.
Cons: i had a workload that took every moment i had to compleat it. even over 5 years, i always had all y assignments finished except for maybe 2 or 3 times.
For my last 5 years at DHS I worked the night shift. This shift was approximately 11 hours long.

I managed all types of security issues and violations on my own. I learned to use my own knowledge to solve problems in the middle of the night.

The hardest part of the job was the time I was separated rom my family.

I did enjoy the daily challenge to – more... complete a very heavy workload that was required immediately every morning by Senior Management. I was commended numerous times on my job performance and was promoted twice.

I spent my entire shift gathering,organizing and compiling classified information to be compiled into the morning briefing for the most Senior Leadership. All my time was spent on the computer.

I voluntarily retired after 15 years with the US Government (including 4 years in the US Navy, Honorable Discharge of course). – less
High Stress but rewarding work experience
Intermittent employee (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 10, 2014
Pros: whole community recovery is very rewarding work
Cons: no benefits for reservists
A typiclal deployment is unpredictable and takes extreme flexiblity in problem solving and trouble shooting. We are on the front line of response to disasters where survivors may have lost everything including family and loved ones. Reservists are on call and deploy within 24 hours to sites all over the country and US Territories to assist disasater – more... survivors applying for federal assistance. We then work ourselves out of a job by hiring local staff who we train to finish the long term tasks.
Compassion along with a strong fortitude is vital for the success of the mission. We come from different locations, cultures and diverse walks of life all with different skills. Together, under the direction of the FCO ( Federal Coodinating Officer), we establish in a new location, build all the necessry departments and ramp up the operation, ususally within a five day period. This location is the mutual hub where Federal staff support and process the States requests as mandated by federal regulation.
The collaboration with fellow colleagues is the most enjoyable part of the job while the long hours of response and recovery operations the most difficult. We consider it a "calling" knowing its not the job for just anyone. – less
Provide safe travel to flying public.
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 10, 2014
Not able to discuss based on agreements signed at time of release.
Structured
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 7, 2014
Cons: passengers with attitudes
Decent place to work, great co workers. very demanding, have to have thick skin
not good
Security Officer (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 7, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
to work for and threat of being fired constantly and not forgiving at all
One of the best jobs I ever had.
Maritime Law Enforcement Petty Officer (Former Employee), Galveston, TXAugust 6, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed working as an ME with the Coast Guard. The command had it's ups and downs but the people were great and the job was rewarding.
Outstanding diversity culture
Accountant/Auditor III (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 6, 2014
Pros: commute convenient
Excellent place to work
Very Facilities renovated
Very connected to work environment
Co-workers are all in unison in terms of work goals
end the testing
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Irvine, CAAugust 6, 2014
The bad thing is that you are tested every 3 months and if you don't pass you are terminated.
Awesome Organization
Admin (Current Employee), Montgomery, ALAugust 4, 2014
Pros: great work envionment, casual attire
Cons: only a temp job
It has been an incredible experience working with FEMA. This organzation is without a doubt second to none. I worked with FEMA reservists, management and non-management, training them on how to navigate the new travel and expense system. They experienced a lot of frustration changing the way they were compensated, but with workshops and one on one training, – more... they are starting to be more comfortable using it. – less
Good place to work but..
Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 3, 2014
There is a lot of opportunity for innovation, improvement but the speed of government prevents some of these changes. It takes a courageous follower to move the needle of change.
Very Stressful Place to work.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 31, 2014
The job is very easy. The people you have to work with including management is what makes this job unbearable.
Secure w/ great benefits and decent pay
LTSO/ Practical Skills Evaluator (Current Employee), Tulsa, OklahomaJuly 29, 2014
Pros: job security, benefits
Cons: low ceiling
As with all government jobs there is a lot of job security at this agency which is why I initially left the civilian sector, despite my boss offering a 6,000 dollar annual pay increase to keep me. I now am looking at returning to the civilian sector in hopes of finding somewhere that has a higher ceiling.
Good entry level security position.
Security Officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: variety of work shifts, excellent starting pay and benefits
Cons: in experienced management in place.
TSA within the Dept. of Homeland Security has come a long way since its infancy back in 2002. They have continuously tried to put the right personnel in place to provide what is best for it's employees and the travelling public.
Law Enforcement
Supervisory Special Agent (Current Employee), Detroit, MichiganJuly 27, 2014
Investigating federal violations of law. Lots of Travel and diversification of duties
Stressful atmosphere
Part time Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 25, 2014
Poor leadership skills from management. Limited possibilities of advancement. No incentives.
Fast paced environment with plenty of room for a leader to step up and excellent advancement opportunities.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Palm Springs, CAJuly 24, 2014
It is great to have the opportunity to work with such a diverse group of people. The leadership in place at the Transportation Security Administration is excellent and they know how to make each employee feel as if they were an integral part of the team. They have taught me that when there is great Management in place, then the work place becomes much – more... more enjoyable. – less
PLEASE dont make the same mistake!
LTSO (Former Employee), ArkansasJuly 23, 2014
Pros: it is a "job". but that's all it is.
Cons: tooooooo many to list....how long is eternity???
If the government shuts down again....your on your own with no finances, .which will rock your credit score...they don't care about you .your true skills will go rusty because you wont be able to utilize them. Some co-workers are "normal" but the majority are overbearing, controlling snitches that spend all their time brown nosing to get ahead. Money – more... is good but first pay increase came 5 years later and then insurance had to increase because God forbid that you had any money left for yourself. This job is not for everybody..it will take your soul out if you allow it. Seriously...keep looking ..NO MORALE IN THIS PLACE. you have to give up your "life" in return for a small paycheck! Everybody is writing up everybody on a daily basis. Way tooooo much drama in this organization. – less

About Department of Homeland Security

Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High – Read more

Department of Homeland Security Photos