Department of Homeland Security
1,048 reviews

Department of Homeland Security Employer Reviews

Outstanding
Worksite Development Specialist Manager (Former Employee), OrlandoDecember 20, 2014
, I have been in a sales capacity, either face-to-face, where I have created and presented presentations to C-Level executives or over the telephone.
Successful learning experience
Dentist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 15, 2014
Pros: flexibility and mobility to different areas of the state
Cons: few breaks
Working in a mobile unit allowed me to successfully treat children from all parts of the world. Working together as a team made the process very enjoyable for all. The hardest part of the job was that there were limited bathroom breaks. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to treat a variety of patients from many different areas of the world.
Challenging job, specialized training and very important to aviation safety.
Master Behavior Detection Officer (MBDO) (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaDecember 14, 2014
Pros: stable work
Cons: under paid and underappreciated
I have worked for DHS for 4 years in an airport security function. The reasons for the work are forgotten and underappreciated by some of the flying public, that seem to have forgotten there are very dangerous people in the world that mean us severe harm. Setting this aside, the work is routine and your day is filled with training.
Government
Disaster Assistance Employee (Current Employee), NYCDecember 9, 2014
Well it's a Government job with no means of promoting. I traveled 24/7 which was awesome but the Government is poorly run and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.
very good career with great benefits
Behavior Detection Analyst (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 8, 2014
Pros: pay, shifts, opportunities for advancement
Cons: micromanaging, other departments you have to deal with working there.
i learned a lot working at this job including how to properly conduct myself when working in a professional setting, management was a little annoying with micromanaging and minor petty complaints, but overall the job was great
If you don't mind being disrespected and you need a job with benefits.
Tranportation Security Officer(TSO) (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits. meeting interesting people.
Cons: headaches, inconsistancies, odd work hours
Mostly angry passengers. Repetition. Interesting people. Meet friends for a life-time.
Nice place to work good work environment
Lead Engineer (Former Employee), Queens, NYDecember 4, 2014
Field inspections
reports
engineering assessments
flood zone evaluations
architectural reviews
engineering support meetings
DHS
TRANSPORTATION SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 29, 2014
everyday is different involes dealing with traveling public
Very Low Morale
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2014
Pros: excellent benefit package
Cons: everything else in between
This company has an excellent benefit package; however, the amount of pressure, lack of professionalism, bad management, unfair rules and regulations, etc etc etc. In the beginning this organization tells you how flexible they will be with schedules, days off, and so on and so forth its all a big scam. I have worked at three different airports and they all have major morale issues because Sensitive Security Information I am unable to give too many details. In all I have some good days but even the good days isn't enough to make me happy.
a job do the best you can
Mail and File Clerk (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 25, 2014
a typical day at work was people sitting around on the exploiting the computer, asking questions, the hardest part of the job was fitting in, the most enjoyable part of the job was being compensated
Built the administrative functions for OIA from the ground up.
Deputy Chief of Staff, GS-12 (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 22, 2014
Pros: i enjoy traveling to conduct training and learning what works best in the operational environment.
Cons: being a one-man show.
Entered the Federal service in December 2008 during the transition from the Bush to Obama Administrations. No time for turnover was possible; utilized best practices to develop procedures as new personnel were arriving daily. The effectiveness of these procedures resulted in immediate recognition of a cash award for clearing up backlogs and establishing previously nonexistent viable links. My ability to repeatedly conjure up quick fixes to issues resulted in the Assistant Secretary asking me to join him when he became the Commissioner of Customs and Border Protection.
good and human enviorement
Individual Assistant (Former Employee), Guaynabo, PRNovember 20, 2014
typical day at work would be to help the people
i learn how to use a program call nemis and how to help the people who needed assistance
my co-workers we always work as a team
the hardest part of the job was to be enable to help the people to not qualify for the assistance that FEMA give
the most enjoyable part of the job was when we are able to help and give the assistance for the people and how they react to us of thank us
Management SUCKED
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2014
The managers at the airport I worked at were horrible and like to flex their muscles more than do any actual managerial duties. Serious powertrips.
Great government job
Material Handler (Former Employee), Fort Worth TXNovember 18, 2014
Typical cushy government job. Nothing else to say.
Nothing to explain to anyone. please let me to the next window.
Team atmosphere
Senior Java Developer - IT Consultant (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 17, 2014
Solving problems using creative solutions was the heart of this community.
Great benefits, job security.
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Linthicum, MDNovember 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits, job security
Cons: communication from upper management gets construed, passengers are very disrespectful.
While working with homeland security I have experienced their great benefits. For example while I was pregnant they accommodated me with as much time off as I needed. I also know they offer great job security. However, communication from the top of the chain of command to the lower level employees often gets construed to the point it makes it hard to do the job properly. Also the amount of disrespect from passengers has gotten unbearable.
A high demand work enviornment without appropriate compensation.
Enforcement and Removal Specialist (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 13, 2014
I have no current review to submit at this time. I look forward to talking about this in the future.
Each deployment is different because you get to meet all types of people
Individual Assistant Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 13, 2014
Pros: extremely good pay and benefts
Cons: work on an as needed basis
On any given day you can expect different outcomes due to the needs of people affected by a major disaster. The managers and co-workers are constantly working long hours each day assisting disaster victims with housing, medical, food, etc. One of the most difficult things I have experienced is looking into the eyes/faces of people who appear to have little if any hope. The most enjoyable part of the job is each deployment differs from the other. You get to meet other co-workers from other states within the USA and this is exciting to me.
District of Columbia Federal Institute
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 11, 2014
Several year's supporting the District of Columbia Federal Government
Productive and successful staff relocation
Project Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 11, 2014
Pros: cooperating supportive staff
This multiple building move required much coordination and planning, thus multi- tasking

About Department of Homeland Security

Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High – Read more

Department of Homeland Security Photos