Department Of Housing And Urban Development Employee Reviews

Great people, good work, but management...
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 2, 2017
Great folks work at this agency and it has a wonderful mission, but I've seen and experienced incredibly poor management across a number of offices. I left due to a very young, inexperienced, and inflexible manager, and middle management who refused to intercede. This situation sounds quite common.

I loved working at HUD, and recommend it, but please check the management team before accepting a position.
Pros
Great work-life balance, good mission, wonderful people
Cons
Poor management
Work Review
Contractor (Former Employee) –  washnigton dcAugust 3, 2017
We would report job in the morning and receive our assignment take a visit to the basement, pick new equipment for about 7 to 10 installs a day, learned to interact with coworkers and report to office staff rooms. management was very informative about ant problems that I encounter, work place culture was mixed.
The hardest part of the was job was sometimes lack of enough material,
The most enjoyable part of the job was, always complementing my assignment on time
Pros
working as a team
Cons
to much politics
I enjoyed working
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 27, 2017
I enjoyed working at HUD because of the team work and the positive work environment with chances to excel to the next level. Education is also a plus of management for lower level employees
Pros
I loved everything but the pay which wasnt enough
Cons
The pay
A great 33 Year Career
SUpervisor Real Estate Owned Branch (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC outstationed from AtlantaJuly 7, 2017
I recently retired from Dept of HUD after 33 years and thoroughly loved the variety in my work. Even though stressful and fast paced at times, it was fulfilling and rewarding.
Pros
Paid Annual and Sick Leave, Retirement program, telework program
Cons
high stress, demanding
Housing Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 15, 2017
I love working at HUD. The pay is great, the people are wonderful, and the job is rewarding. The work schedule is flexible and includes teleworking options and compressed work schedule options.
felt like working with family
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2016
Was a nice place to work, food court nearby, metro nearby, lots of shuttles. 30 minute lunches, nice learning environment, friendly folks, lots of training.
Hud is Creative with activities
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me is busy, it consist of work from different locations with short reply time. I've learned how to process Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request as well as Correspondence responses. Management could work on training Temporary employees/ Contractors a lot better, maybe a day of training each month on work related request. The hardest part of the job is receiving training, majority of the things I've learned working here I've trained myself on. The most enjoyable part of my job is when HUD offer's activities for learning for all employees they're really creative when it comes to acknowledging FT Perm. Employees.
Pros
Food Varieties- Free lunch
Cons
NOT all rules applies to all employees
Section 8
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2016
Speaking with managers across the United States regarding tenant data and submission was a typical day. My co-workers were great. We worked together as a team to resolve issues, and we motivated each other in regards to training and customer service. The most enjoyable part was ensuring all parties were satisfied, and all issues were resolved.
Pros
team work and independent progress
Cons
Short breaks
great job
Financial Review & Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2016
Working for the Federal Government was one of my greatest experience. Learned a vast amount about Federal Housing Administration and its day to day operation in the Housing department, especially mortgage note and interest aspect.
My review of HUD is neutral
John P. Benison, Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2016
HUD is a federal agency with a political appointee as head of the agency. My opinion of HUD is neutral. I have no further opinion of HUD as an agency.
A great opportunity.
[Project Manager-] (Asset Management) (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 26, 2015
No work day is typical. The environment is ever changing. I have learned a plethora of knowledge about the low income housing sector. Management is very approachable and consider each employees ideas and concerns.
Relaxed Job Environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 3, 2015
Firstly, to begin my day I check my emails that usually would include my assignments for the day as well as emails that needed to be forwarded to the correct staff members. I would then update my supervisor on any upcoming appointments, meetings or teleconferences. Whenever I would have any down time, I would check the printers for paper and ink. I would also check with management for any additional work that they needed done. Once a week, we would have a office meeting where I would take notes and keep up with important topics that were discussed as well as providing input when asked. The hardest part of the job was learning how to operate the electronic filing system that we used to store and protect the agency's most important files. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationship that my supervisor and I built during my tenure. I learned a lot about the company and how to grow within the company.
Pros
Macromanagement, family oriented office, friendly environment
Well run and interesting
Legal Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 3, 2015
This Federal office is downtown in a desirable location with attractive workspaces (which is fairly rare for government offices). People there are driven and smart, with a real commitment to HUD's mission. I was only there for a short time, but I got a sense that some roles became very repetitive for full time staff. However, my research tasks were interesting and my work was appreciated.
Pros
Good office and culture
Cons
repetitive tasks
I loved it!
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington D.CJanuary 26, 2015
This job was the best job I have worked for to date. We would have fun with the managers and coworkers, and the work was easy enough. We would work our full time schedule and than go on home. People I have met there I still have contact with and try to network with for future jobs in that field.
Quality Assurance Specialist Work (QAS)
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day included planning, following up on completed reviews, updating Share Point sites, and preparing for onsite and remote reviews. As a QAS I managed and scheduled all lead review coordinating with support staff on their availability on reviews. One of the most difficult part of the job is the amount of travel involve but the rewarding part of the job is assisting the Housing Authority in improving their management of the Housing Choice Voucher Program and improving quality control over their program.
Pros
Being able to provide assistance to the Housing Authoritys
Cons
Not being able to assist enough Housing Authority in a Fiscal Year
This job help people discriminated by Housing Laws
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 23, 2014
Although I was an administrative assistant - I was able to work with investigators that helped stop discriminated pertaining to housing. The investigators sent a lot of letters most were certified. I created a system to eliminate a backlog in sending the letters and a faster way to certify letters.
Pros
We were like family everyone treated all with respect.
Cons
Training avaliable if needed. Great place to work with good benefits & co-workers.
Senior Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 24, 2014
Federal Government Agency providing safe and reasonable homes to buyers. Very good in helping buyers purchase a home. Joyful place to work because you are helping someone meet their dreams, of being a homeowner. Happy and fun place to work with many opportunities to advance. Holidays were always a great time for the employees and their families.
Pros
Various time schedules to report to work.
Cons
Heavy workload at times. Numerous reports to monitor. Time deadlines.
This is an Okay working environment.
Database Applications Analyst and Developer (Current Employee) –  DCJuly 18, 2014
•a typical day at work: Enhancement coding and troubleshooting.
•what you learned: The application at HUD.
•Management: Not all on the management team are efficient.
•your co-workers: Not very cooperative.
•the hardest part of the job: not sufficient requirements.
•the most enjoyable part of the job: a bit flexible.
able to socialize in a way in which all employees were an assistance to one another.
General Support Clerk/Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 27, 2014
Daily tasks consisted of completing and filing a variety of financial statements, assisting housing project managers, and entering data, required or assigned by supervisors, into a database or spreadsheet.
This job consisted of a friendly and sociable environment.
Pros
Great social environment
Government
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 15, 2014
This government position had great benefits. The position provided a great deal of clerical and communication development