Department of Human Services

Department of Human Services United States Employee Reviews

Work days as mail clerk are simple
Mail Clerk (Current Employee), Atlanta gaApril 15, 2015
Pros: state benefits
Cons: low pay
The few years that i have been with this\ company has be pleasant to be honest. I have learned how systems work as far as the postage machines goes. As far as my work day consist of; Getting to work around 7:35 am. Turning/ booting up the postage machines. Wait for a few minutes till its time to start work at 8 am. Around about 8:40 i go to the US post office and drop out out going mail from 2 peachtree. Pick up the mail from the US post office to bring back to the building. Unload Truck; Sort mail and prepare to take upstairs to take to Floors according to the mail addresses. Take mail from floors back to apply postage. (Repeat process @2 pm). I like shortly after around 5 pm
The training that I received at the Detroit Rescue Mission was very informational, in conjunction with the Red Cross of Southeastern Michigan.
Childcare Director (Former Employee), Inkster, MIApril 13, 2015
Pros: I got training and information through The 4Cs of Michgan #1 in Child Care Training in Wayne County.
Cons: It is a State funded position & got cut. I did it for the experience.
My typical day at work in this field was to plan activities for infant to preschool aged children. I learned to have patience with children of all ages and races. I incorporated a lot of the skills that I learned with the American Red Cross of Southeastern Michigan in child safety procedures. I was really informed on how to deal with Infant CPR safety and choking hazard for small children. The hardest part of the job was to handle all aspects of running a small home based business on my own by doing a lot of educational research. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the excitement and eagerness in the children to learn. I was a young mom just graduating High School and trying to find myself and I found a love in my own children as well as others. This experience prepared me to continue my education in early child hood development and business management training.
DHS
employee (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 13, 2015
I prefer not to provide a review, as different people have different experiences. It depends on the division and division management. There are a lot of hard working people in this organization who care about the people they serve.
fun workplace
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Washington DCApril 7, 2015
Working with my co workers was fun and the work got done I worked in the correspondence unit for 14 years and Emergency management for 4 years enjoyed going to work everyday. I miss it want to go back
Nice People
Volunteer (Current Employee), Muskegon, MIApril 7, 2015
This was a good place to help out. You learn a lot of different things and how people do their work. Hardest part is when you have to go thru the files and organize them
Fun great learning experiences.
DCS-Temp (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKApril 5, 2015
Pros: Life experiences
Cons: Shelter closed
helping the younger children with homework and baths at night. provide learning activities. Helping the teen moms balance school and mother teaching the to cook and using coping skills when feeling overwhelmed.
Busy and Fun place to work
ELIGIBILITY COUNSELOR II/CASE MANAGER (Former Employee), Memphis, TNApril 1, 2015
Pros: Meeting so many people
Cons: Always busy
All days are busy
I have learned to be patient
My co-workers were great team players
The hardest part of the job was the caseload
I enjoy working with my clients.
Health Care Provider (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIApril 1, 2015
Routine. I've learned that my clients are special people. Management is okay. I don't have co-workers. When the clients are not feeling well, it's the hardest part of the job. I enjoy their conversations, and their smiles.
Professional Work Place
Vocational Development Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 27, 2015
As my resume shows, I am currently assisting at risk families in Washington DC at the Department of Human Services as Vocational Development Specialist. My work duties include numerous task and case management in assisting TANF recipients with becoming self-sufficient. I conduct assessments and develop case plans to remediate family barriers to employment. Also during these assessments I utilizes various counseling and therapeutic techniques in an attempt to address social, environmental, emotional and medical problems.
Enjoyable
Contracts Specialist (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMarch 27, 2015
Working with the State of Hawaii was a pleasure. It afforded me an opportunity to utilize my contract management skills. I would definitely encourage anyone to apply to work in this organization.
great work place
Medical Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee), Tyler, TXMarch 26, 2015
Loved working for the Aged and Disabaled i felt like i made a difference in there lives by helping. Work place was safe and secure, was a respected place to work, Hardest part of the job was when there was nothing else i could do to make there life much easier and better. My supervisor Charlotte Key-Jackson was very honest hard working and fare person, always tried to make sure all the employees were treated with respect and farness.
Good work evironment
Administrative Internship (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 26, 2015
All employees worked together well in order to accomplish one ultimate goal of helping the less fortunate. It was well organized and all employees were well informed.
Incredible employees and great place to work!
Income Maintenance Technician III (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 18, 2015
Fast-paced work environment where I worked with customers in the community requesting assistance. Wonderful employees with great personalities.
Fairly average work environment with low stress workload. Typical office tasks with minimal supervisory input needed.
Child Support Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Jackson, MSMarch 18, 2015
I'm glad it's over
Caregiver for Client and Family Management (Former Employee), Joliet, ILMarch 18, 2015
Cons: absolutely everything associated with dhs illinois
Never - EVER work for DHS Illinois in any office. I'll just leave it at that. There's no advancement and no incentive to do anything well. I had no training, no management and certainly no enjoyable part of any day. The clients weren't the problem - the SYSTEM is the problem. Main issues - the union constantly badgering people to vote this way or that way, Union robo-calls at all hours of the morning - noon and evening, the DHS office not knowing what was going on AND the state being broke and cutting hours.
helping kids to stay in a safe enviroment
Internship (Former Employee), jackson msMarch 17, 2015
Pros: making sure the kids are safe
Cons: having to place the kids into foster homes
help kids find a safe enviroment to live assist them behavioral problem along helping the parent reacha and maintain a goal.
working with elderly
Personal Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2015
My assigned duties are. Assisting elderly with everyday task such as. Grooming, bathing, planning and preparing daily meals, attending doctors appointments, cleaning homes, and laundry. During everyday task I learned that each customer is different.
Educational and Productive
Staff Development Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2015
This company is very professional and positive environment. I feel like the work I do makes a difference in peoples lives. I enjoy helping people and want to continue to do that throughout my career as I work in human services. There is always room for advancement and the people there are very encouraging.
Typical Day
Mobile Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee), Southfield, MIMarch 6, 2015
My day varies, how I plan my day is not how it always go. When working with the public I have learned that going with the follow is the best way. I have an awesome opportunity to assist senior citizens and although it can drain every ounce of energy from the body. I would not trade what I do and the smile I see on my seniors face when I help them.
Terrible
Family Services Worker (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARMarch 5, 2015
The DHS does not always promote from within, so the likelyhood of advancement is little. The environment is toxic. Workers receive little pay for the extraordinary amount of stress they are asked to endure. The only good thing about worker for the state is the benefits- paid holidays and good insurance.

1 2 3 4 5