Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

A Thankless Job
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 5, 2016
Many do not realize the amount of endless work that goes into social work. These men and women spend countless hours aiding other people, with out any real recognition, which makes this one of the most selfless jobs I've ever had the pleasure working in. Everyday I would hear some of the saddest sob stories from my customers, yet everyday I found a new reason to continue to try to help them.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Informing people they have been rejected from programs
Is a productive company that allows one to give back to the community.
Nutrition Aide/ Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Christiansted, VIOctober 18, 2016
A typical day at work, will start with me gathering all of my documents in order before going on the road to see clients. I've learned, it is important to prioritize. This allows me to make sure my day runs smoothly. Every morning, my Manager will meet with the team to discuss what took place the day before and our daily task. My co-workers and I would always work as a team, this helped us perform well at work. The hardest day of my job would have been not completing my task successfully. The most enjoyable part of my job would have been me interacting and helping the elderly.
Very poor practices.
Child Welfare Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKNovember 15, 2016
Expect employees to lie and write false reports. The job was a job of less success than failure. Co-workers didn't do their job and I was asked to report visits in the computer that wasn't done by the case worker assigned. Workers were not made accountable for their daily work. I learned that the system of child welfare is corrupt and will never change because no one is made accountable.
Pros
salary
Cons
morals
Rewarding work and wonderful coworkers
Social Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee County, OKSeptember 26, 2016
DHS was a good experience for me. I love people and enjoyed my customers as well as my coworkers. After spending 20+ yrs in one location you become like family. Change was always the toughest thing to deal with and then with failing economy caseloads became excessive. The pay in combination with the benefits were average but not much room for advancement and seldom any raises.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Lack of raises
Can be stressful
Human Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 16, 2016
Depending on the department you go to you can be very busy with clients face to face or over the telephone. I worked intake and would have anywhere from 3-7 intake interviews in a day plus I would have to work cases from other days. My supervisor helped when she could but she has her own work. This job can be very stressful and has a high turn over rate because of that. I did enjoying helping my clients and I tried to not let the bad ones get to me.
unqualified managers and pit employees against one another
nurse consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 9, 2016
Poor morale among employees.
Management not qualified for positions
Punitive atmosphere if don'r agree with management
Qualified employees leaving
going through reorganization
Management pit employees against one another.
very controlling managers and do not listen to employees that have years of experience.
Move employees from one office to another to cause disruption and chaos.
Pros
holiday time off is nice
Cons
poor morale, punitive management, unqualified managers with no clinical experience leading clinical staff
Caring for ppl who are disabled to do it themselves, it's like caring for children angels that don't mean much harm.
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2016
It's not a bad job, it's like helping your own parents or grandparents when they're not able to do it on their own anymore. So it's like your everyday activities but with pay cause the work is not actually for you.
Pros
You can eat when u want
Cons
You have to deal with ppl on their good and bad days
Productive and Career enhancement atmosphere
Executive Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2016
Its been a great journey working here, I have learned a lot and come to understand the decision making and policies guiding our health in the U.S plays an important role in our lives, and these decisions are based solely on the positive outcome of the customers.
We are driven by saving more people and giving them a chance at living.
My review of the job overall is all employees should be treated fairly in a working environment.
Eligibility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 1, 2016
My typical day at work consists of assisting clients daily. I learn to just assist clients based on their needs. The management here is somewhat lacking in some fields. My co-workers are just that, my co-workers. There is no hard part of the job, however, it can be less stressful if there was a great management team behind you. The most enjoyable part of the job is lunch and going home.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
short breaks in between
Dhs Review
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2016
My day consist of daily basic skills and that are provide by me. This job is really easy if you have the mind set to deal with clients on a personal level. I do not work with co- workers it just me and the client. There was nothing really difficult about this job at all. The most enjoyable of the job is that I enjoyed my time with my client at all times.
Pros
The Knowledge I gain from working with dhs
Cons
you only get paid twice a month
JOB Culture
Sr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2016
Description: It is focused on delivering services to residents. Services include inpatient and outpatient care, primary care, community health and wellness, workplace health, home health, community mental health, rehabilitation and long-term care. The project was to customize the product to facilitate the new required features. The product is a web based application containing all the features for Hospital Management. It contains the different modules like Clinical Modules, Supporting Modules & Admin Modules.
Review
Human Services Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Lewistown, ILAugust 14, 2016
Typical day at work is not mad, this specific office has become a really micro managed setting. I feel like my opinions don't matter nor suggestions. I have learned a variety of different job skills with this employer. Since I have started there have been several different new management individuals come in, and it's a very over all stressful ship to be on. Suggestions given have just been dismissed as if they don't matter. Employees have tried to better the situations we have had, that have negatively affected our production numbers.
Good working relationship with everyone at all levels/ was a part of moral committee
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 9, 2016
A typical day at work entails management my boss's calendar, screening calls, collecting information from data bases, typing, arranging/attending meetings. I learned the business of assisting the aged. Management was very flexible, co-workers were pleasant and eager to serve. Hardest part was finding the time to help everyone the same day. I like the pleasant rapport with everyone.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Salary was not enough to live on/Contract employment
Great job helping others
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Park, ILOctober 25, 2016
I arrive at the clients' home and help them perform the daily activities of living. I learned that many people need help and it's a great feeling to be able to help. Management is very supportive and helpful. I don't have any co-workers. The job is not hard at all. I love helping people this is why I continue to do it.
Pros
helping people
Inspirational
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYAugust 7, 2016
Safety being key at this location, unlocking the Children's Room was taken very seriously. That is how the day began. By overseeing the kids, I observed some very natural human behavior that gets lost in adulthood. Management and co-workers were fantastic and happy as well. With constant attention to safety, some aggravated guardians would try to push through the rules. Their aggressive nature was the hardest part of the job. Making connections with the more quiet kids were the most enjoyable moments.
Pros
Valuable experience
Cons
No income
A great place to work
Operations & Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORSeptember 22, 2016
DHS has a commitment to diversity, multiculturalism and community, and actively engages in recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce that includes members of historically underrepresented groups. The State of Oregon is committed to equal employment opportunity, culturally competent services and workplace diversity.
Dhs
Child Welfare Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKJuly 30, 2016
A typical day at work is talking to clients and service providers. Making sure the children are SAFE and your parents are doing the services court ordered on their treatment plan. You're to help your clients succeed in this transition. A child in foster care may act up and a foster parent may call you in the middle of the night to come pick the child up. You're to make sure the child and the foster parents are doing well and help the foster home take care of this child with services in the community or whatever the agency provides.
Pros
Helping parents get their children back in thier homes.
My Review
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2016
A typical day at work was always busy there was always cases that were needed to have been gone over. Throughout my short period of time there I learned the many different things about the system. And how some things are handled. The management there was excellent the team I worked with was excellent it was just a great place and a great leaning environment to be in. The hardest parts of my work days at DHS was the over load of work that I would have to get done in a short amount of time but I learned how to brace myself and work under pressure because of that. The enjoyable part of the job was just being able to work around a good group of individuals that all worked together to get things done.
Entry Level Creative customer services Health care
Home health aid (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2016
Making it to work on time is always a must being prepared to get straight to work I learned that if you start a new job and really pay attention to what your being taught you can moved up in the company really fast being very friendly can also get you a lot of help with management and also coworkers the hardiest parts of the job was meeting very difficult people but i manged to get trough it by still being polite and helpful even if they were rude the most enjoyable part of the job was just knowing that i always had a Satisfied customer
working with different kinds of people, with different attitudes and expectations.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2016
While I was working with Dept. Of Human Services, I had the pleasure of helping the public. People who were in need of government assistance and for once in my life was on the inside looking in not the outside looking in.
Pros
working with the public.

Department of Human Services Reviews by Location