Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Dhs
Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKSeptember 18, 2017
I loved this job. Great work Environment. The people are friendly and always willing to help. They have flexible hours which is great for working parents
Not worth the stress
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 17, 2017
It is not worth the stress. Long hours, constantly moving workers to different departments. Lack of consistency, travel reimbursements take at least a month to get paid. Some of the management claimed that they are there to help you and guide you but they are not. Phone calls all through the night and not enough time in the day to get things done. Management will get upset if everything is not done even if you have a valid excuse.
Pros
insurance and benefits not being taken out of your check
Cons
poor management, long hours, not getting paid you hard earned comp time.
Excellent
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2017
Excellent industry with diverse group of individuals. Working with disabled individuals was very rewarding and I was grateful for the experience and knowledge I gained at DHS.
Productive work area
Hearings Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 17, 2017
Enjoyable work place. staff and supervisors were very helpful, Enjoyed my position, a lot of interaction with other agencies. Supervisor very helpful and always willing to help,
Pros
cafeteria in building
Cons
temporary position
Fast pace
Administrative Technician (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 17, 2017
Arlington County employees are friendly, smart, and always willing to help. There are a lot of employee appreciation opportunities. A lot of learning resources.
Benefits
Cons
Hard to advance
I found it rewarding to be able to figure out a dificult case, while being able to process and issue benefits to a customer.
Social Service Representative (Former Employee) –  2100 Martin Luther King Jr Ave SE Wash. DC 20020September 16, 2017
Every morning from 7:30 to 9:30 I provided intake for customer who applied or recertified for Food Stamps, Tanf, or Medical benefits. For the duration of the day, I processed cases received from the supervisor. Returned telephone calls were made, along with updates implemented on cases as needed.
The hardest part of the job was not completing all the cases in a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to call customers and informed them that they were approved for benefits.
Pros
Once a year the job offered a free Food Stamp Conference for selected employees, which supplied free breakfast and lunch.
Cons
Being able to build up leave to to take days off. I also enjoyed being off on all holidays.
Very easy and relaxing
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
Very easy job to do basically like your a personal assistant u cook clean make runs for the elderly wash them talk ect.... It's a nice steady job that lays very well would recommend this
Fast-paced environment to work in
Human Services Caseworker (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 13, 2017
The Department of Human Services provides services to a variety of individuals. The most rewarding part about working for DHS is the fact that we get to help individuals and their children with benefits to help them survive in today's economy. There are some days where we have irate customers but that's part of the environment. The workplace culture is not always the best but it is certainly not the worst. Upper management could use some help at times but my direct supervisors have always been well-versed and helpful if needed.
Pros
Pto, Benefits, Mandated Breaks
Cons
No pay advancement in 3 years, no cost of living increase, neighborhoods worked in can be dangerous
Day at work
Secretary/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 12, 2017
Got along with all my co-workers and superiors I hated when the time was up, but it was funded by the Federal Government. Wonderful place to work and everyone was helpful to help with working together.
Cons
Busy, but fun work environment with wide variety of clients
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYSeptember 12, 2017
My position as a case aide required me to work with a wide range of clients. On a normal day I would deal with assisting clients with applying for benefits, seeking housing, as well as accompanying Case Managers on home inspections. The overall atmosphere of my work place was organized, friendly, and everyone within my unit worked well as a team. I enjoyed working with my clients and my fellow employees.
Pros
friendly work environment
This is a great place to work especially if you like to help others.
Eligibility Worker I (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 12, 2017
This is a great place to be employed, especially if you have children. The hours are perfect, Monday -Friday 8- 5 and flex schedules are offered. If you like to help people this is the perfect job to have,
same as home care
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 12, 2017
Same as home care work with ederly have to have patience and understanding is a very patience job and sometimes emotional you develope friends as well as work
Good benefits and management
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 11, 2017
Enjoyed training and management; personable people to work around; disability tolerant; good work environment; enjoyed job duties and experience with disable individuals
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not a good mentor
I am currently working as a Personal Assistant.
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 10, 2017
It's a great place to work. I assist a client that is disabled and handicapped, and she has a brain injury; and with her daily household duties and activities. This job is similar to a Certified Nurses Aid job with extra responsibilities of helping to manage finances and everything else that is needed. I take client to her doctor appointments, run errands and sometimes take her to go play the game of BINGO.
Pros
I live in the same house as my client. I don't have to travel outside the house.
Cons
I only receive 10 hours a week to work. I need to make more money to help make all my ends meet.
Tough but effective learning environment
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 9, 2017
Days at CDHS were often unpredictable, as I managed recruitment and selection for three distinct customer groups. CDHS honed my recruitment, diplomacy, and customer service skill set. Management was understanding, as they were aware of what a difficult work environment we were subjected to. I loved the culture there and could rely on my coworkers and management for support. The hardest part of the job was the volume of work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team I was on.
productive
Eligibility Counselor I (Daniels Project) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 8, 2017
iyou were busy working with customers and assisting your co-workers. you worked as at team. great place to work. learned a lot of company guidelines and policies.
Pros
very productive and great managers
Cons
not having hace to hace customer service had to interview over the phone
Micro-Managed
DCSS-Accounting Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GASeptember 7, 2017
Very stressful...not trained very well, very stressful environment with public involvement and environment micro-managed. But work was close to home.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
every aspect appropriate to peoples welfare.
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILSeptember 7, 2017
Always congenial atmosphere. manager was understanding and compassionate. Hard to see clients in low estate. wonderful to know I made a difference.Home like surroundings. Usually we arrive on site, proceed to assist clients in bodily cleaning, meal preparation, ready them for commute to day jobs.
Pros
free food. covivial atmosphere
Cons
deal with physical assults
Productive and fast paced
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Athens, TN 37303September 7, 2017
Just dealing with the public and assuring they get the proper paper work in for the benefits needed. Making appointments, filling paper work. Send out application. Updating files.
Pros
free lunch once a month closes on holidays vacation and sick day once a month
Cons
rude people temporary position
Classes are free
Business Operations Generalist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 6, 2017
DHS allows you to take classes to obtain certificates in different areas of your career choice. DHS also have a multitude of departments that you can choose to work with.