Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging job but also a balanced life
Senior Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2016
DOJ's Asset Forfeiture Management Staff (AFMS) comprises of several departments including it's information security team. Forfeiture Systems's (FS) security team deals with continuous monitoring, incident response, vulnerability assessment, vulnerability remediation, working with various security tools, and analysis of vulnerable findings within AFMS networks. The essential part and the most challenging part of the job was to maintain a good security posture so management would be satisfied with overall security structure. The most enjoyable part of the team was the flexibility in work schedules and balance between professional and personal life.
The Department of Justice is a very intense organization, however, it displays integrity, structure and productive.
Justice Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCJune 20, 2016
First, I have a busy morning to start off with but, work in a good environment with employers and employees.

Since, I've been employed whether through my current position law enforcement and health field it has touch me to have good work ethics and more diverse.

Management in both my current position micro manages, but, although it can be overwhelming at times it only makes me into a better employee and complete my job duties correctly.

My co-workers are so so because when dealing with different personally it can be a bit difficult, but, I can work with anyone at the end of the day.

Dealing with the strict environment and some managers

The public and learning different work related material
Pros
getting four days off and able to make my work schedule
Cons
working long hours and being mandated
Worst Place to work for Contracted employees!
FLU CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 10, 2016
If your not hired directly as a federal employee and go through a contractor company, expect people to treat you like garbage! You get paid way less and the health benefits are so bad there isn't a point to even purchase it. I worked as a Financial Analyst in FLU and the Assistant US Attorney is smug, condescending and doesn't deserve his position. Other AUSA attorneys say he is unteachable and errogant. Keep in mind the U.S Attorney's office hires these people fresh out of law school with little knowledge of what they are doing. Half the time people sit at there desk and twiddle their thumbs all day. I was very disappointed and expected to learn and experience much more when I was working there. The women are very catty and quick to make up lies about you...the only good thing about this job is you can request a 4 or 5 day weekend almost on every federal holiday....again, showing u how much everyone wants to really work there. If you want a good job and a lasting job, look somewhere else!
Pros
Quiet office
Cons
Everything. Drama, bad benefits, lack of training.
Typical government agency
Supervisory Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 2, 2016
This is a typical government agency. The people I worked with were great. Sometimes the work became mundane, which is why I was always looking for a challenge. Being in the administrative field tends to get a little boring at times. However, you get out of a job what you put into it. I really enjoyed working for the federal government with the exception of the commute. The only reason that I left there was due to some extenuating medical issues that have now been taken care of to the best of my ability.
Wonderful people to work for
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Thomson, ILOctober 10, 2015
While I believe the benefits could use some tweaking, CBH is an outstanding place to work. By far the best place I have ever worked. The nurses were treated with such respect from management staff and they were truly appreciative and rewarding for hard work! Would highly recommend!
Pros
Outstanding management, room for advancement
Cons
Benefits are expensive
Management and communication Skills are horrible
Evidence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 27, 2016
This company dose not train new employees very well. This company expect you to understand what was told you, they do not explained nor show you how to do the work. This company has very bad communication skills as well as the management team is very un-organized and un-appreciative of a good worker. The management teams is extremely strict and some what bully's their workers in doing other duties that is not within their job description.
Pros
Cons
The pay is very unrealable/ lousy for the type of work required
Many Long Term Career Choices
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTJanuary 9, 2016
Working for the Department of Justice brings around many advancement opportunities and paths. Where you end up is completely up to you.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Opportunities
A great start to a career
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2015
A great government agency with a stellar reputation; however, I wish I had done my due diligence into my job title and overall duties and responsibilities because there is not a lot of leverage and career growth for non-attorney staff (unless you are an analyst or project manager). That said, I worked to gain a new position on my own with little guidance or mentorship and to date, has improved my standing considerably.

Overall, management could be much better especially to assist employees interested in building a career at the DOJ on a non-attorney track. The work-life balance could not be better and the benefits packages are also quite excellent. There are trade-offs to any job, but the DOJ does provide its employees with an alternative to private sector work that most find attractive.
Pros
great benefits packages
Cons
poor middle management
Decent pay. Terrible schedule
Justice Service Protective Officer/Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2016
Leadership problems. Customer and Contracting company treat employees horribly. 12 hours shifts. Disrespected by management on a daily basis. No possibility of advancement.
Interesting and complex cases with various personalities
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 5, 2016
You get to work on a stream of interesting cases and enjoy a work-life balance. Everyone on the team is motivated and involved in their work. It is a communicative group.
Overall, the department is an enjoyable place to work in.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CANovember 27, 2015
Good place to work. The job is rewarding and co-workers are professional. Lots of job training. The department offers good benefits.
Pros
Good place to work.
Cons
Management needs to improve their management style.
Normal day
Loss Mit Review and Foreclosure Referral (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXDecember 30, 2015
Review loans that are in potential foreclosure status. outbound and inbound calls from customers to advise status of loan.
Benefits
Cons
Competitive Salary
Working at DOJ
Supervisory Administrative Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 13, 2016
A typical day for me is operating as a supervisor for a very small team and managing contracts and carrying our requisitions, paying invoices, returning call, providing customer service, etc.
Pros
You are not micro managed.
Cons
You have to have a skill set to multi-task or things can fall throug the cracks.
Very exciting and rewarding place to work.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Pollock, LAMay 3, 2016
As a Senior Case Manager in the Unit Management Section at a Bureau of Prisons Correctional Facility, I am responsible for the custody and control of designated inmates. I conduct group counseling sessions on a regular focusing on different group techniques to help the inmate understand basic problems and to assist individual in functioning in a more acceptable manner.
Great place to work, with awesome co- workers
Transit Subsidy (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2016
I enjoy coming in to Washington, DC everyday. I grew up in this area and never appreciated the beauty of it until I started working here. I work with some very amazing people that happen to be very friendly and embraced me from the very start.
Great place to work if you have prior military experince
business administrator (Current Employee) –  Edgefield, SCJanuary 2, 2016
Great place to work if you have prior military experience and would like a career in law enforcement, however, it is a very political agency and you must be able to constantly adjust to continued changes in policies, procedures and leadership.
Pros
Job Gorwth
Cons
work around federal inmates. Need to relocate most times if interested in promotions
Moral is very low supervisors don't support employees
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Clayton, MOAugust 17, 2016
Have not received a raise in almost 8 years, not satisfied with working conditions. Very unsafe. Director is very stand off does not engage with staff uses he super-intents to talk to staff.
Government Information Specialist
Government Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 19, 2015
see previous review
I enjoy working for the Government; however in my current section due to being Excepted Service employee it limits where I can apply for other Government Agencies.
Pros
coworkers & management
Cons
no room for advancement in my section
Department of Justice
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2016
An extraordinary group of people working together for a tremendous cause. Any issue that I ran into I was able to communicate to my supervisor and the issue was resolved immediately.
Pros
Work towards a great cause
Cons
Fast Paced
Productive place to work
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
Informative work place, always busy, providing security for the Department of Corrections, counseling youth and young adults who have been in trouble with the law. Some days were good and some were not, the hardest part of the job, on lock days or short of staff, those were the busiest days, overhaul I enjoyed working with the youth and seeing them progress and overcome their troubles.