Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Law Enforcement-Criminal Investigator
Deputy United States Marshal/Criminal Investigator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2017
Interesting work which involved the following areas; fugitive investigations, threat analysis, court security, service of civil and criminal process, management of seized property, district motor vehicle officer, witness and V,I,P protection, Firearms and defensive tactics and many other law enforcement related duties. Working for the DOJ was a satisfying job with good pay and benefits. I was very happy working for them and made many lifelong friends. I would recommend employment with the DOJ, my duties varied with no day being the same and felt I was contributing the security of the United States of America.
Productive place to work
Case Manager Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. It was great benefits, the people were great to work with and we celebrated our accomplishments. I really want to go back and work here but nothing has come available to date. My first government job and I want to end my federal career with DOJ. Any suggestions on how I can do that?
Pros
Great People
Cons
I want to go back
Interesting work, very low salary
Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2016
Great co-workers and team environment. Lack of upward advancement and career opportunities as a contractor. Management is inexperienced. Salary and benefits of contractor company are incredibly low for the quality and quantity of work provided to the government.
Small department therefore input available to highest level
Hearing Examiner, Regional Admin, Executiveve Asst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 3, 2017
Raises come with time and good work reports.Travel excessive at times. Supportive coworkers and generally management.
Pros
travel
Cons
adequate pay
Great place to work!
Operational Support Technician (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 22, 2016
Great benefits, plenty of room to advance and move within the company. Management could use some more training but overall great work/family balance. Yearly raises
Cook (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 19, 2017
Great benefits
Peopl there treat you with respect,and every one knows your name.
The management team helps train you to assure that every individual learns and knows their job.
Hospital and ambulatory clinic in correctional environment
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 14, 2016
High stress correctional environment with increasingly acute and chronic medical and psychiatric patients. Law enforcement benefits are exceptional. Pay compensation lacking in comparison to hospitals.
Worst Place to work for Contracted employees!
FLU CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 10, 2016
If your not hired directly as a federal employee and go through a contractor company, expect people to treat you like garbage! You get paid way less and the health benefits are so bad there isn't a point to even purchase it. I worked as a Financial Analyst in FLU and the Assistant US Attorney is smug, condescending and doesn't deserve his position. Other AUSA attorneys say he is unteachable and errogant. Keep in mind the U.S Attorney's office hires these people fresh out of law school with little knowledge of what they are doing. Half the time people sit at there desk and twiddle their thumbs all day. I was very disappointed and expected to learn and experience much more when I was working there. The women are very catty and quick to make up lies about you...the only good thing about this job is you can request a 4 or 5 day weekend almost on every federal holiday....again, showing u how much everyone wants to really work there. If you want a good job and a lasting job, look somewhere else!
Pros
Quiet office
Cons
Everything. Drama, bad benefits, lack of training.
Doj / dea
Supervisory Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2017
I worked as a DEA federal narcotics agents for 24 years, the last 13 years in management. Domestically, I worked with other agents. I was assigned to 3 overseas posts and for 6 of those years I was the Special Agent in Charge of one of our more active offices in Europe. A very satisfying career with great people at one's side.
Pros
This has to be the premier job within the DOJ.
Cons
Long hours with some weekend and holiday work.
Moral is very low supervisors don't support employees
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Clayton, MOAugust 17, 2016
Have not received a raise in almost 8 years, not satisfied with working conditions. Very unsafe. Director is very stand off does not engage with staff uses he super-intents to talk to staff.
A great place to work and advance.
GED Teacher (Former Employee) –  Forrest City, ARJuly 9, 2016
i wish that I can go back to working for the D.O.J. I would recommend any young person to start in the government to get a good salary and they can advance
Pros
2 hours for lunch and planning time
Cons
health care plans we great and affordable
leaves a lot to be desired
Front Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edgefield, SCMay 18, 2016
Early mornings, lots of responsibility.
Learned to produce meals for a large number of people.
Decent management team.
Lots of different personalities in co-workers.
Earle mornings...4 AM!
Seeing peoples response to great food.
Pros
Experience gained cooking for a large number of people.
Cons
no benefits
Educational Place Of Employment
Orderly (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJanuary 12, 2017
I would not tell anybody to work here. I did not like working there at all. Very little pay for alot of hard work. Use cleaning supplies and equipment to keep the interior of the office building looking clean and professional
Respond to repair requests quickly and with a professional manner
Maintain a library of user manuals for office furniture and fixtures that can be referred to when needed
Adhere to the company’s safety policies to create a safe work environment for everyone
Perform routing cleaning tasks based on a schedule created by the facility management team
The Department of Justice is a very intense organization, however, it displays integrity, structure and productive.
Justice Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  District of Columbia, DCJune 20, 2016
First, I have a busy morning to start off with but, work in a good environment with employers and employees.

Since, I've been employed whether through my current position law enforcement and health field it has touch me to have good work ethics and more diverse.

Management in both my current position micro manages, but, although it can be overwhelming at times it only makes me into a better employee and complete my job duties correctly.

My co-workers are so so because when dealing with different personally it can be a bit difficult, but, I can work with anyone at the end of the day.

Dealing with the strict environment and some managers

The public and learning different work related material
Pros
getting four days off and able to make my work schedule
Cons
working long hours and being mandated
Depends on Unit
Staff Services Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 4, 2016
Workload is sufficent for pay. Some Managers are amazing and others not so much. I have learned many of skills that will assist me in my career. The hardest part of the job is when Managers do not provide training. I am not saying this is every Manager. I have experienced the lack of training from more than one Manager. The most enjoyable part of the job is the majority of coworkers are extremely friendly. DOJ fosters a positive work environment for the most part.
Pros
Training available through office of development.
Cons
High turn over rate.
Productive and challenging job but also a balanced life
Senior Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2016
DOJ's Asset Forfeiture Management Staff (AFMS) comprises of several departments including it's information security team. Forfeiture Systems's (FS) security team deals with continuous monitoring, incident response, vulnerability assessment, vulnerability remediation, working with various security tools, and analysis of vulnerable findings within AFMS networks. The essential part and the most challenging part of the job was to maintain a good security posture so management would be satisfied with overall security structure. The most enjoyable part of the team was the flexibility in work schedules and balance between professional and personal life.
Exciting job and training
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2016
My time with the Justice Department was enjoyable and exciting, as I have gain many years of experience as Paralegal Specialist. I was able to work with inter agencies and many agencies within the Justice Department, DEA, FBI, U.S. Marshals, Courts and Prison facilities. My daily work schedule was pretty busy setting up interview of witnesses in cases and organize documents and filing pleading and arrange conference calls closing case files. I didn't find the job to hard. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the attorney win there cases because everything was done in a timely manner.
Pros
Reward for outstanding work.
Cons
Some times have work past lunch.
Productive and loving to grow with the company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2016
Day normally starts with my initial paperwork then begin driving routes. Friendly environment and we all help each other, along with management. The best part is being on the road meeting people while completing the task at hand.
Pros
Meeting meeting and challenges
Cons
Growth and promotion
Good
Realty Specialist/Contracting Officer, FBI (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2017
The Department of Justice (DOJ) leads the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. As a Justice employee you'll be a member of a team where you can achieve your career goals and apply your skills and talents to our important mission.
Challenging yet rewarding
Spanish Language Analyst (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 15, 2016
As a language professional you perform a wide variety of translations and interpretations which makes the job challenging but fun and rewarding at the same time. Co-workers are very well educated and come from different backgrounds. Management sees you as family. The sky is the limit if you are willing to put in hard work. :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.