Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Team Lead Mids/Senior Analyst
Department of Justice (Current Employee) –  Washing, DCJanuary 15, 2014
• Conduct Network Monitoring and Incident Response operations supporting a Cabinet-Level Federal Agency 24x7x365.
•Ability to problem solves, ask questions, and discover why things are happening.
• Correlate data from intrusion detection and prevention systems with data from other sources such as firewall, web server, and DNS logs.
• Develop and produce reports on all activities and incidents to help maintain day to day status, develop and report on trends, and provide focus and situational awareness on all issues.
•Reporting outputs will be reviewed and approved to ensure quality and metrics are maintained.
• Produce daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly reporting as required by management.
• Coordinate with appropriate organizations regarding possible security incidents. Conduct intra-office research to evaluate events as necessary, maintain the current list of coordination points of contact.
• Produce reports identifying significant or suspicious security events to appropriate parties. Include latest security threat information and tie back to specific intrusion sets of nation state actors when possible.
• Maintain knowledge of the current security threat level by monitoring related Internet postings, Intelligence reports, and other related documents as necessary.
• Identify misuse, malware, or unauthorized activity on monitored networks. Report the activity appropriately as determined by the customer.
• Maintain proficiency and skills through relevant training, conventions, conferences, and on-the-job training.
• Monitor and analyze network traffic, IDS alerts, network and system
  more... logs, and available open source information to detect and report threats to customer networks.
• Perform CERT/SOC operations to include IDS event monitoring and analysis, security incident handling, incident reporting, and threat analysis
•Participate in tuning and filtering event information
This highly political / confidential position was as much rewarding as it was eye opening.... I learned so very much in a very short amount of time...
Legal Secretary/Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day at the bureau was not typical according to my standards.... running vin numbers on license plates for agents in the field, over the radio, taking live calls from paid informants, typing checks made payable to these "confidential" informants, was all very non-typical for me.... perhaps exciting, not dull, and I learned the combination to the vault where the drugs and money and guns were kept in a huge vault for future raids? That is what I was told.....
The co-workers, they were threatened by my eagerness to learn and be cross-trained and to work in more than one capacity at a time. However the most enjoyable part of the job was probably resigning after being promoted to a much higher level of professional calling.The hardest part of the job I have saved until last, on purpose, it was seeing what the tax payers agree to spend their tax dollars on......withoiut being properly informed as to how they were truly being spent and not being able to do anything at all about it except save myself by accepting an awesome promotion and leave it far behind me and try not looking back.
The Department of Justice takes care of a multiplicity of matters or issues.
Criminal Prosecutor-Assistant State Attorney III (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRJune 3, 2012
It's a great professional challenge for me to work in the Puerto Rico Department of Justice, since it deals with many matters, such as:
Criminal matters in order to seek justice and assist the court to find the truth.
The public prosecutor represents and protects the “public interest” on behalf of the state against criminal offenders.
The best interest of the minor children and mentally disable persons is represented by the Special Proseuctor of Family Affairs.
The Juvenile Prosecutor represent the state against juvenile offenders.
Also has the Victims Compensation Office, INTERPOL, Antitrust Office and the Special Bureau of Investigations.
Certainty to real estate business is given thru the Public Register of the Department of Justice.
Gives legal representation in civil cases to the State, the Government Agencies and Government Employees.
It is also an honor for me to be part of the Puerto Rico Department of Justice.
that I have had over six years of experience in Automation Test script Developme I have had experience in both manual and automated testing
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2014
that I have had over six years of experience in Automation Test script Development. I have had experience in both manual and automated testing of web based applications as well as client server applications. In my QA carrier I have worked on different Operating Systems such as windows XP, Windows, Unix and few others. I have done test developed in C++, Java and Visual Basic. A Few testing tools I believe I have extensive experience that would be QC/ALM(11.00) and QTP(9.52,10.00,11.00)/UFT(11.50). And I have done a lot of different tests using these Testing Tools, some of them are Smoke Testing, Functional Testing, Black Box Testing, Integration Testing, Regression Testing ,UAT (User Acceptance Testing) Testing and so many others. And other than that I have also done a lot of back-end testing using SQL Query. So few of the databases that I have worked on are Oracle, Sql Server and Microsoft Access.
I have review my summary.
CLERK OA (Former Employee) –  Clarksville TN.September 7, 2012
I love working at every job the lord has blessed me with.It's been tolded to me that I'am a People Person. Because I love working with the public and my Co-Workers.Everyday I learn something new on a Job.Management and myself always get alone.I Respect my Managers at all times.Co-Workers and myself always get along. I show consideration to them and they always show it back to me.When I left Clarksville TN. my Boss and Co-Workers hated to see me go. Everyone there loved me and I loved them.From the top to the bottom we all got along.Hardest part of a job for me is go home.I love going home but I love my job so I will stay untill everything is done.I Always won't my job done on time. And the most enjoyable part of a job for me is having it. I'am a hard worker and don't mind doing my job and helpping ours out to do they job.Were all one big happy family.
Pros
having a good job.
Cons
not having health care.
A great start to a career
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2015
A great government agency with a stellar reputation; however, I wish I had done my due diligence into my job title and overall duties and responsibilities because there is not a lot of leverage and career growth for non-attorney staff (unless you are an analyst or project manager). That said, I worked to gain a new position on my own with little guidance or mentorship and to date, has improved my standing considerably.

Overall, management could be much better especially to assist employees interested in building a career at the DOJ on a non-attorney track. The work-life balance could not be better and the benefits packages are also quite excellent. There are trade-offs to any job, but the DOJ does provide its employees with an alternative to private sector work that most find attractive.
Pros
great benefits packages
Cons
poor middle management
A very Happy environment
Office Assistant (General), (Typing) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2015
My typical day at work, arriving early as usual I am always punctual ,
and I prioritize my work. I am comfortable with my job it is just the management was really poor, I am an Office Assistant for 10 years, I was not promoted as an Office Technician, I have passed the exam, but they say I was not reachable, I know the work of an Office Technician, but, I was still not promoted.
My co-workers, I get along with greatly, I am able to help others when they need my help, I was even able to train incoming applicants for the Office Technician position. I felt that was not fair, form management.
The hardest part of the job, is trying to convince the management that I am a very hard worker, and I am a fast learner. The most enjoyable part of the job, Is when I am able to finish my job duties and more, That I am ready for the next day to begin a good day .
It was a privilege and an honor to work for the Federal Government.
Probation Officer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2016
My time within the Probation Department advanced my skills in many areas, including furthering my knowledge in court report writing, learning sentencing guidelines, investigations, drug education as well as gang crimes. Being my first job post bachelors degree it was a fantastic learning experience for me. My supervisors were very knowledgeable and helpful whenever assistance was necessary. I loved every aspect pf the job, but if I had to name the hardest part was working in the unit and performing drug testing. Although I learned a lot in my time there, offenders were extremely creative. I enjoyed my job, with the investigation/home visits the most exciting part of the job for me.
Pros
Allowed to leave early, without penalty to pursue my Master Degree
Cons
Extensive opportunities to learn as worked in the General Litigation Unit of the PR Department of Justice
Legal Official (Former Employee) –  San Juan, Puerto RicoMarch 22, 2013
Worked at the Department of Justice for years with the intention of being developed further within the ranks of the department.

However, Puerto Rico is highly politically motivated and oriented towards changes in its governmental structures in general election years. The changes made by the newly elected governor in 2008 caused the loss of 30,000 jobs in the public sector. I was one of the affected professionals, who had to actually re-invent themselves to survive in a country with high unemployment, more so for public servants like myself.
Pros
having the opportunity to serve my country well, and apply education and skills.
Cons
uncertaintity that changes in government brings.
Productive and a pleasant work place.
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 9, 2013
Job very productive in completion of daily task of transmitting results of firearms to the National gun Center on a daily basis.
Responsibilty was my priority without any coaching from my supervisor. Intergrated with my co-worker in a friendly manner. I learned new skills on the computer that was very helpful in completing my task quickly and efficently. The hardest part of the job was trying not to have a backlog on the police reports that continuously arrived at the office in several bixes daily. I enjoyed this job because there was no pressures put upon me in completing my daily task.
Pros
received recognition for a job well done when special projects were completed in a timely manner.
Cons
needed more than a half hour for lunch.

Want to know more about Department of Justice?

Ask a question
Justice is a blind lady... she weighs the evidence, but listens for truth.
Clerk/Clerical Aide/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2013
Watching and learning of what it takes to keep civil society, civil. It takes hard work, appreciation for compromise, the law, mercy, and for the most heinous, greedy, brutal, cunning, and knowing the difference between whats right and fair, and whats wrong and corrupt. Learning that people abuse the system, and the system can be broken, but can be fixed on by good people. I had great mentors.
Pros
professionalism, networks, legal experience, technical experience
Cons
hard court cases, low clerical pay
Working inside of a prison environment is a challenge.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Dix, NJAugust 6, 2014
Working inside of a prison environment is a challenge. The job is not for everybody, but I have enjoyed my years there. I have met many people over the years, and they have all made my life easier with the help that was provided to me during my tenure. The hardest part of my job was not being able to help someone achieve to their full potential, rather it was a staff member or an inmate. The most enjoyable part of my job was the overall challenges.
Pros
working with wondering people that are very helpful.
Cons
having to say good bye.
The work is very rewarding.
Information Systems Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2013
Work day can be very interesting at times, you just never know what can be in stored. Learned so much about working with people from all different walks of life. Management is the achilles tendon in the Criminal Division. The hardest part of the job was not being acknowledge or receiving the credit due for ones hard work. I think the part of loved the most was getting to know all my co-workers.
Pros
great health insurance, life insurance and 401k program.
Cons
the commute became very tedious after moving to our new home.
Federal Service provides excellent benefits, ample training opportunites and the honor of serving your country.
Secretary to the US Attorney (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2013
All throughout my Federal Service, spanning 23 years, I worked with top professionals; in an atmosphere of dignity and respect.

I had the opportunity to work alongside people of all races, levels and economic backgrounds, while experiencing a sense of 'community.'

Upward mobility was based solely on performance and dedication, with many training opportunities.
Pros
great benefits and diverse environments
Learned a lot and then left
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 26, 2014
I did not understand that as a contract employee, my employer would change it type they went to bid for a new contract. The company that won the contract was your new employer and could decide to keep you or let you go. Your 401K, sick/vacation time changed each time also.

I wore a pager and worked 2nd shift. I might be required to come in early or go assist a different office.

I learned a lot and when I felt I had learned all I could, I left. There was no room for advancement.
Pros
learned new things
Cons
no job security
You learn a lot
Shift Supervisor- Language Analyst Division (Current Employee) –  Several locationsJuly 10, 2013
In my years as a translator for the Department of Justice I learned a lot about managing projects, and using my translation skills in more analytical ways. The only issue I had was the lack of job security, and there is little room for upward mobility. The best part of the job is the knowledge that I am one step in the process of the machine that is law enforcement. The pay didn't hurt either, it is hourly but overtime is common and you have the choice to work as a contractor.
State of the art technology with good people (ex-military)
Systems/Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Central FloridaJanuary 14, 2013
As a Federal Agency, this location is always exciting, because it is in a Prison environment. Along with 'never a dull moment', I have had the chance to work with top notch hard working people struggling to stay on top of the newest hardware and software advances. The prison environment includes factories that are all automated with networks I have had the pleasure to build.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
budget cuts by congress
Structured and Professional Work Place
Operational Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2013
I currently work in the departments mail room which consists of logging incoming mail and packages, shipping out mail and packages, and delivering and sorting interoffice mail.

The management is slack and making it hard for me to advance.

The co-workers are respectful and professional

I am not challenged in this position and am not enjoying my job. I have come to learn that this is not a care field I am happy working in, in general.
Good job security, working and teaching Staff on Policy
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Bennettsville, SCFebruary 4, 2013
I strive in the area of Security maintaining a safe enviroment for the Staff assigned. I also strive in training staff on a daity basis, I feel training is a very important tool for staff. I have trainied new staff hired on a daily basis. I believe in communicating with my staff on a daily basis. I review their work and will always reward them for a job well done. I expect my staff to be open with me trust goes a long way, both ways.
Productive and fun workplace. Very family orientated.
Intensive in Home Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 1, 2014
I worked for this company for 9 years and was able to learn a lot. This company gave me an opportunity to grow as person and profession. I would recommend that anyone who has the opportunity to work for The City of Richmond Department of Justice Service give it a chance, you will not be disappointed. If the department that I worked in had not closed, I would have most likely retired from this job.