Department of Justice Employee Reviews

lack of endurance
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  florida, south carolina, coloradoAugust 16, 2017
the lack of proper training and the lack of management made the job stressful and unorganized. The quota of indiviuals less qualified and not properly trained at the establishment was addressed more than 5 times while i was there.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lack of structure
Trial Attorney, 7 years
Trial Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 10, 2017
Wonderful place to work. Significant responsibility at the outset. Work on a range of interesting and important issues. There are some bureaucratic frustrations but they are manageable.
Pros
Significant responsibility, important and interesting cases, collegial atmosphere, dedicated colleagues
Cons
Significant travel
Balanced
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LAAugust 9, 2017
Days are busy. Learn about different legal pleadings. Management is nice. Most enjoyable part is getting to learn new things. Hardest part of job, keeping cases up to date.
productive
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  DCAugust 8, 2017
very good federal agency, very honored to have worked in that office. I took pride in the work that I did. Others in the agency not so much, but there were a lot a great employees and managers there in the agency
Interesting work and good colleagues
Contract Attorney (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2017
Interesting work and good colleagues. An opportunity to work on important cases. Good work/life balance. Good management and a pleasant work culture.
Great Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2017
Prepared case documentations for the USAO. Performed several administrative duties including filing, data processing and payroll. Maintained legal documents and records for compliance review. Prepared conference materials, travel authorization/vouchers and expense reports. Demonstrated advanced proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Great professional working environment
Office assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockford, IL 61101August 6, 2017
Good working environment for students wanting to work and learn about the justice system. Professional co workers and atmosphere that requires confidentiality.
Daily faced with challenging situations, must be quick to react.
Senior Officer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, ILAugust 5, 2017
This is a challenging environment which forces you to be attentive to everything around you. Must be able to act quickly and efficiently in hazardous situations. Must diffuse situations before the escalate.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunities to work overtime.
Cons
Stressful and intense, must always be on high alert.
Worklace
Certified HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2017
Justice Department is like all other government agencies. The benefits package was great and the opportunities were limitless. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Pros
Government
Cons
Tenure
I was a speechwriter there...
Speechwriter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2017
It's nothing less than the cabinet-level department charged with federal law enforcement and legal interpretation. It's a sprawling behemoth.

My day - in the prestigious and focused role I had - was to discuss the Attorney General's upcoming speeches with the Director of Public Affairs and his A-list philosophical assistant. And then we'd start writing.

Sometimes we'd meet with the AG in the Fifth Floor conference room. I wrote for other high-ranking officials as well, and would meet with them to discuss their speeches.

DOJ is a harder taskmaster for its legions of lawyers.
Pros
Advancing a national debate on constitutional interpretation, with AG as spokesman and DOJ library as resource
Cons
A Schedule C (political) appointment, so it couldn't go on forever
Don't Expect Much
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 25, 2017
The work isn't difficult at all. The process have been the same forever and need to be updated.

The only way to move up is to find a new position

As a contractor, my health benefits are not great

My manager is awesome

The culture is the worst part. Contractors and fed are separated and contractors are always being watched like the federal employees are waiting to report you for something. We all work together.
Great Organization
Court Interpreter (Current Employee) –  NationwideJuly 24, 2017
I enjoy working in this organization. The organization requires much traveling. The supervisors are flexible and fair. It is a great way of learning the legal system.
great place to work
Immigration Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florence, AZJuly 22, 2017
Very fast paced, had to be on your toes all the time, attention to detail is a must. Days seemed long sometime but other days just wizzed by. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Interesting
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 21, 2017
Nice co workers, always willing to help. Accomplished new experiences. Meet different kinds of people from all over the world was very interesting to me.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
A lot of meetings
Internship
Shadow to Assistant US Attorney (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 19, 2017
I was given the opportunity to shadow the United States Attorney for Ohio during my Spring break. It was an amazing experience and taught me a lot about law.
Fast pace environment
Executive Office for Immigration Review (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 18, 2017
Office setting, busy office with phone lines ringing all day long. Great people to work with. Great office hours and great pay. Located near many local businesses.
I enjoyed working in this position.I learned to do this job quickly and efficiently.
Recycling Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkton, OHJuly 13, 2017
My typical day at work was getting to work and setting up my work area. I had separate areas for the different materials. I basically sorted through trash looking for recyclable materials until I finished with all the trash. I then prepare to transport those containers to the appropriate areas.
Pros
I got to work at my own pace and how I wanted to.
Cons
It was a dirty job.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant to the U.S. Attorney (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 12, 2017
Day began with reviewing the calendar and making sure she was where she needed to be. Answered numerous questions throughout the day from Assistants in the office. Dealt with other government agencies both in state and D.C. where the Executive Office for U.S. Attorney's is located. I would deal with the public who would come into the office with complaints about various things.
Job Security/Benefits good/Good People
Business Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 12, 2017
Worked there for over 35 years, very nice people and good work environment. Hard working , job advancement very good. Benefits were good. Good training programs, worked in several departments over the years. All very rewarding
Benefits
Dept of Justice
Student Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2017
DOJ got me my first experience working in the HR field. It provided a secure environment and I really learned a lot from the seasoned HR Specialist and managers.