Department of Justice Employee Reviews

this was an internship
Legal Extern (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHOctober 20, 2015
I really enjoyed the internship, even though unpaid. I learned a great deal and since this was within my career path, I was able to experience many things that will always help me in my career.
Government Information Specialist
Government Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 19, 2015
see previous review
I enjoy working for the Government; however in my current section due to being Excepted Service employee it limits where I can apply for other Government Agencies.
Pros
coworkers & management
Cons
no room for advancement in my section
Great place to work and hope to come back
LEVEL 2 HELPDESK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2015
I provided end user support to hundreds of attorneys and staff.
There was a great feeling of family.
I loved the location because it was close to home.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Support Staff is a bit stretched
Wonderful people to work for
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Thomson, ILOctober 10, 2015
While I believe the benefits could use some tweaking, CBH is an outstanding place to work. By far the best place I have ever worked. The nurses were treated with such respect from management staff and they were truly appreciative and rewarding for hard work! Would highly recommend!
Pros
Outstanding management, room for advancement
Cons
Benefits are expensive
Great employer.
Program Mgr.Transitional Awareness (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 7, 2015
Outstanding opportunities to grow professional and personally. Challenging work assignments. Great co-workers who are team players. Great benefits and worklife balance programs.
My teaching practice in the University
Victims and Witness (Former Employee) –  Aguadilla, PROctober 6, 2015
I enjoy everything what i do in my internship, it was awesome i learn many things there. I recommended the department to do his practice if you study Criminal Justice.
a typical day
Paralegal Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2015
Attorneys seek my assistance in many different ways, from making biners, to making phone calls, legal research, drafting correspondence and legal documents, keeping track of all the exhibits, legal documents and correspondence.
Lousy shift work
JPSO (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2015
Program Mangers don't care about their employees. Your work outside in the elements in below freezing temperatures sometimes for 12 hours straight with no break. Inspectors a sneaky and underhanded. will try to get you fired.
Pros
flexible, decent pay, overtime
Cons
sometimes no breaks, poor leadership
Amazing place to learn about law enforcement.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Quantico, VAAugust 24, 2015
For the last 5 yrs I was one of the best trained photographers for the Department Of Justice. To be expose to the way the FBI works and provide the best way to keep people safe is second to none.
Pros
Amazing Travel
Process and Goal oriented
Intelligence Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 23, 2015
Job requirements for this job are met by all employees. Tis is a difficult job because it is dealing with congress and requirements of the FISA court.
Minimal growth for professional staff
Strategy and Performance Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 10, 2015
Growth opportunities are limited for professional staff (Please note this comment applies to a particular agency that falls under DOJ).
Very fast-pased place to work
Court Room Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2015
The work is never ending, one day flows into the next. The work literally never stops. You are busy from the moment you step in the door until you try to leave for the day knowing the work is there for you when you return the next day. Within the first week, you will know if you have what it takes to work at this job.
Senior Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2015
Great place to work very challenging and rewarding. Day to day work different every day. Enjoyed servicing the Public.
Pros
Servicing the Public
Cons
Long Hours at Time
Great Department
Seasonal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 17, 2015
Everyone is friendly and is always willing to help you improve. My coworkers are great. I enjoy learning new things. A typical work day would be data entry and scanning, and daily mail pick up.
Productive environment
SECRETARY, GS (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 7, 2015
Many job series to select from. Training opportunities are plentiful. Some locations do not provide parking for those who wish to drive.
Us doj/oig
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2015
US DOJ/OIG is a great company to work for. Room for advancement is steadily available. Work/life balance is well preserved and job security is provided.
Excellent place for an internship
Cyber Intern (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 5, 2015
Assisted detectives and agents with various tasks, was able to see how things work in the forensic world. Great people to work with.
pending
material handler supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta gaJune 1, 2015
I have had an incredible career with the DOJ, it has provided a great life for my wife and now adult children. but there is a reason that they offer a 20 year retirement, I am interacting with convicted felons daily and it can be overwhelming at times. Overall a great career.
Pros
Lead by example
Cons
Try to hard
Unix Engineer
Department of Justice (Former Employee) –  District of ColumbiaMay 19, 2015
Supported Enterprise grade Solaris Servers....
Installed and Build Solaris Servers and supported
Linux DBA systems
A great start to a career
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2015
A great government agency with a stellar reputation; however, I wish I had done my due diligence into my job title and overall duties and responsibilities because there is not a lot of leverage and career growth for non-attorney staff (unless you are an analyst or project manager). That said, I worked to gain a new position on my own with little guidance or mentorship and to date, has improved my standing considerably.

Overall, management could be much better especially to assist employees interested in building a career at the DOJ on a non-attorney track. The work-life balance could not be better and the benefits packages are also quite excellent. There are trade-offs to any job, but the DOJ does provide its employees with an alternative to private sector work that most find attractive.
Pros
great benefits packages
Cons
poor middle management