Department of Labor Employee Reviews in United States

Flexible, secure place to work
Equal Opportunity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 28, 2015
The flexible schedule that DOL provides is great for people with families and/or busy schedules. Job security and benefits cannot be beat and salary is competitive.

Usually not fast-paced or high-pressure environment.

Rewarding in that you are serving members of society by helping to create equal employment opportunity in the workforce and fight discrimination in the workplace.
Great place if salary isn't important
Federal Investigator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 29, 2015
Awesome place to work because of the work/life balance, however, salary is not that great if you haven't previously worked for another agency. Overall, great starter federal agency to work for. What they do matters though, and that makes it a great place to work.
Productive and fun workplace
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, MDOctober 6, 2015
Department of Labor is a good program because it helps with starting your future. Although it has great benefits there are some ups and downs that you have to deal with.
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Cons
Short breaks, not allowed to use electronic devices during the training day, and Curfew for adults
Productive work field and knowledgable co-workers work.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Hagåtña, GUMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work is just coming in 8am in the morning and continue working on the most recent task assigned to us by our boss. I have learned so much working for this department, from gaining more customer service skills to gaining more experience working in the Office field. The management and co-workers are very friendly, understanding and flexible. The hardest part of this job is when we get assigned a last minute assignment that needs to be done right away. The most enjoyable part of this job is having the opportunity to meet successful people on a daily basis and having the opportunity to gain more knowledge and experience working in the office field.
Pros
meeting new people everyday
benefits
Promotes vocational and academic progress for non-traditional students 16-24
Outreach and Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 19, 2016
The Department of Labor, Job Corps Division, gives youth ages 16-24 the opportunity and ability to continue growth and development in life through vocational and academic pursuits. Many are able to correct mistakes of the past or enhance their education and skill development through disciplined training. The residential setting is a huge adjustment for the trainees and only 2 of the 125 centers nationwide are non-residential. Just as anything else in life, you get out what you put in!
Pros
Academic and Career Development
Cons
Adjusting to a residential facility and rigorous discipline
Good place if you don't want to advance
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  ChicagoFebruary 16, 2016
The government is a great place to work if you don't want to advance. It's possible to advance, but don't expect to advance anytime soon. Most people sit in jobs for 20-30 years and you can't move up until that person retires or quits (which isn't that often). The work you perform is very limited in scope and is essentially line work.
Pros
Good work life balance, flexible hours
Interesting and Exciting Experiences at the Dept of Labor
Industrial Hygienist (Compliance Health Safety (Former Employee) –  Augusta, ME 04330April 15, 2016
A typical day at work is ever changing, each day is different and the focus of OSHA is a important one. Employer employee relationships is our focus and safety is the name of the game. I learned to organize in ways I did not know I could so that I could recall information and getting to the information that I need. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry people who think you are there to pick on them or shut the company down. The most enjoyable is knowing that you are making a difference and keeping employees safe.
Pros
New experiences
Cons
Alot of work never ends
Helping Disadvantage Youth of America
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
-A typical work day was field with meetings, incorporating new policy to bring a 2-billion-dollar program into the 21st century, and writing new strategic reports to address Transition Readiness and Placement for the program.

-I learn how to be a Contracting Officer Representative (COR) for Government Contracts.

-Management has a strong working knowledgeable about the National program and how it has remain successful for 50+ years, but management is shorthanded and could use more manpower for this transition period that the program is going through.

-Co-workers were very welcoming and informative about the program, gave assistance whenever I needed the help.

-The hardest part of the job for me was understanding how slow the government worked, when you’re trying to get something done.

-The most enjoyable part of the job for me, was knowing that I was making an impact on our country’s disadvantage youths across America and that I was having a positive impact on our economy for the good.
Pros
Business Travel
Cons
To much political red tape, slows down productivity.
Hard working job enviorment but rewarding.
Culinary Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2016
A typical day at work starts with us setting up the kitchen then getting are job for the day and preparing it for the costumer. I learned basic sevsafe skills, knife skills, customer service and etc.
The chef is a fair man but expects hard work and most of the co-workers are alright. The hardest part of the job would be some of my co-workers who just do nothing and expect credit or the one who think they know everything. The most enjoyable part of the day comes from when I learned something new.
Pros
Free lunch, room and board, and healthcare
Cons
some of the people
Established career path
Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PASeptember 15, 2015
I worked the Commonwealth of PA for 14.5 years and only left due to relocation to another state. Benefits were very good.
The department of labor was a reall nice environmwnt to work in. My department workers were good team players.
Internship (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJApril 13, 2016
I really enjoyed the fact that my co-t workers and I were able to work together on a daily basis to get the job done. there was really great team work in our department. Everyone was really nice, outgoing and helpful. My co- workers were always teaching me new duties to better our department
Pros
clean environment, Nice people, Good Organization
Productive Fun environment
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 10, 2016
A typical day at work for me was helping end users reseting passwords, administrating privileges via Active Directory. Trouble shoot Printer connectivity. VPN issues configure outlook client on devices for end users. There was not much of a work load, Co-wokers are very friendly. the most enjoyable part of the job was where we come in as a family to eat lunch together and the manager/pm were really down to earth.
Pros
Long lunch hr, multiple brake.
Productive demanding work place
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJuly 20, 2015
I learned various softwares and Laws that enables a claimant to receive benefits. My Co-workers were all hard working individuals that can be effective and accurate during extreme levels.
Pros
Health Care
Cons
Out date machines
Nothing was never getting done on time
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at work was good other then when you have people in the office and they was in there the day before and my co-workers tell them that they fixed the problem and they didn't so now I would have to deal with it I learned that when u have something to do you do it on time cause my co-workers cause had lots of work to be done and they didn't do and was looking for me to fix the problem also the voice mails was full and nothing was never checked the most enjoyable part was helping the people I gained a lot
Pros
Good breaks
Cons
health care
disliked this work place
CULINARY TRAINEE NORTHLANDS JOB CORPS (Former Employee) –  Vergennes, VTJune 1, 2016
this company worked me to my full potential the employees where very difficult to deal with they didn't care of the students education so much. No one worked as a team really it was a every man for them selves type of environment when it should really be team work.
Pros
a good training experience
Cons
no hourly pay
Flexible
Office of the Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 24, 2015
The benefits are outstanding and the flexible schedule is great. The only issue is the huge amount of travel necessary to do the job.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Travel
Productive and a very fun workplace!
Office Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2016
Everyday i came in early and everyone was always welcoming and awesome to hang out with! Management was excellent, the job was by no means difficult and my most enjoyable part was going out to lunch next door.
Pros
Awesome people, Beautiful city view, Mini kitchen
Cons
Equal oppunity assistance (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 29, 2016
Come into work.
Sit at your desk, answer questions and write out cards.
Management: everyone handled their own business
Pros
Learning more about the company
Enforcement got old fast... 2 years it was ok, but management plays favorites! Go figure!
Former Employee (Current Employee) –  OSHAMay 6, 2016
Would not recommend if you ever want to go back into the private sector... they will snub you. OSHA is all a political game.
Cons
Travel with more travel and then more travel on top of the travel
Met alot of good people that has been working there for many years
Printing Specialist/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  148 Andrew Young BLVD Atlanta, Georgia 30331May 20, 2016
Was a wonderful work experience. Just takes years before you can be a permanent employer and reap the benefits. Loved working with the people