Department of Labor Employee Reviews

The best place to work and earn satisfaction.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2016
At DOL Job at work and family life of employees are balances. Compensation at DOL is competitive while benefits are exceptional. Job security and advancement are guaranteed as long as the employee performs right. Management is always pro employees, while job culture is based on the mission of the agency.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Few employees, hard work.
Monotonous and unrewarding
Case Processing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2016
Working in this department is a difficult prospect. The salary is good and competitive, but the job is a perfect representation of the metaphor "a cog in the machine." Processing the same amount of work day in and day out and being mandated on a metric basis is very demoralizing, add in the lack of advancement and this job has a clear turnover.
Shh! Don't rock the boat.
Fiscal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2016
Management at this job was really, really good. Lower-level employees, especially the older employees, were unqualified and routinely obstructed work from being done. Once I got access to the systems that I needed access to (6 weeks) the lower level employees were suddenly really hostile. Files disappeared. I got yelled at for retrieving files that I was supposed to have to do my job. It's not a professional environment on the lower levels. People spent hours (say noon to 3) at lunch and worked through one or two cases per day when the cases only take 15 minutes at maximum to enter into the system. Trying to squeeze promotions out of management and eliminate rivals were my co-workers' main goals.
The best part of the job was getting paid. It was easy, light work and the pay seemed phenomenal for how little I was doing.
Pros
Money
Cons
Unprofessional attitudes and hostility.
Great Place, great people good company
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Trenton NJNovember 28, 2016
Excellent place to work. very supportive people and very good management group.employee benefits also very good. career growth also very good as always more opportunities to explore on different tasks.
Employment for veterans
LVER- Veteran Representative (Current Employee) –  Cordele, GAJuly 23, 2016
Maintained a case management for at 20 veterans, conducted workshops such as resume writing, interviewing skills, dress for success, stress release and more. I learned how to conduct case management and a new software. The hardest part of the job was not being able to find suitable employment for a veteran. The most enjoyable part of the job was going beyond my job description and see the veteran get medical benefits due to my refer. The technology for this local government was great and training also.
Pros
Freedom to be creative in serving the veterans
Cons
Not enough jobs in the area.
Productive work field and knowledgable co-workers work.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Hagåtña, GUMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work is just coming in 8am in the morning and continue working on the most recent task assigned to us by our boss. I have learned so much working for this department, from gaining more customer service skills to gaining more experience working in the Office field. The management and co-workers are very friendly, understanding and flexible. The hardest part of this job is when we get assigned a last minute assignment that needs to be done right away. The most enjoyable part of this job is having the opportunity to meet successful people on a daily basis and having the opportunity to gain more knowledge and experience working in the office field.
Pros
meeting new people everyday
benefits
Good Job Experience for Stepping Stone
Federal Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 30, 2016
Good company to work for with many benefits and chances for job advancement. Typical day on Second shift; Clock in and get report from 1st Shift, Start patrolling 30 acre grounds, Mentor and Monitor trainee behavior and report all problems to shift supervisor.
Productive and great atmosphere to work at
Operations Management - Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYSeptember 24, 2016
I was a student trainee for the black lung office. Within this job I had several duties. This included making sure all documents processed within that day got mailed out to the client, the lawyer, the judge, and/or the survivor. I was responsible for tracking the large documents that have been mailed out. Overseen the file room and mail room. Overseeing the large file room and keeping that in order helped me gain valuable operations management skills. I also met all requests gave by claims examiners and senior claims examiners.
This was a very enjoyable job. It was only for students so when I graduated I had to quit.
Pros
Flexible schedule where I was a full time student
Cons
Very very heavy work load while being a full time student
Great mission, lots of job security, good salary, but poor leadership and no team spirit
Workforce Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2016
As a high level staff member (non-supervisory) with ten years on the job in a US DOL agency's regional office, I am largely self-directed. I am responsible for determining how to address the many questions from state grantees, respond to myriad urgent information requests from the national office of the agency and complete the quarterly cycles of reviewing grantee performance and financial reports and assessing the risk level of the dozens of projects that I oversee. However, if you're seeking clear cut guidance and black/white answers, you'll be very unhappy. Much of the day is spent researching very complex questions from extremely bright stakeholders -- to which we have not yet developed answers!

The best parts of this work and agency is that the mission is important, the external stakeholders are (largely) wonderful to work with and I learn something every single day in this work and in this field.

The hardest part of the job is that in my regional office has very poor leadership, little sense of cohesion and no collaboration or teamwork. In addition, regional leadership has not figured out how to hire appropriately-skilled, professional-level staff to replace retirees resulting in chronic under staffing and a growing number peers on the path to burnout. Lastly, since this is a Cabinet-level Department, national politics affects all areas of the agency at all levels.
Pros
Job security, work/life balance initiatives, good salary for the field, including locality pay for more expensive areas
Cons
Poor management and leadership at certain Regional Offices political appointee churn
Daily Work Day Dose
claims processor (Current Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 5, 2016
A typical day at work shows high demand from the clientele we have either over the phone or in person. The work provided to us is consistent and we always learn something new everyday. With the change in daily instructions, sometimes there is an issue with lack of communication which can make the job difficult at times. But the best part of the job is always being able to satisfy the client.
Pros
consistent work, health benefits
Cons
instructions change frequently, communication not always the best
work hard
Floor Tech/Porter (Former Employee) –  Altona, NYJune 20, 2016
work hard for no real pay . it's a place I will never be in the position to work again no benefits no health care no nothing. everybody felt
the same way.
Pros
didn't have to work to hard
Cons
no money
High stress environment, great learning expierence
Medical Assistant Back Office (Former Employee) –  West Warwick, RIAugust 2, 2016
Greeted patients and provided triage depending on need, such as appointment schedules and records.
Managed office supplies, vendors, organization and upkeep.
Prepared treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and
Maintained a clean reception area, including lounge and associated areas
Pros
preferred field of work
Cons
Management needed some adjustments
Promotes vocational and academic progress for non-traditional students 16-24
Outreach and Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 19, 2016
The Department of Labor, Job Corps Division, gives youth ages 16-24 the opportunity and ability to continue growth and development in life through vocational and academic pursuits. Many are able to correct mistakes of the past or enhance their education and skill development through disciplined training. The residential setting is a huge adjustment for the trainees and only 2 of the 125 centers nationwide are non-residential. Just as anything else in life, you get out what you put in!
Pros
Academic and Career Development
Cons
Adjusting to a residential facility and rigorous discipline
Many different duties and oppurtunites
Warehouse Worker and Butcher (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I would get to work and put on my coveralls, gloves, hairnet, and hat, and start to assemble the machinery to be used for the day, as well as using the power jack to bring in the product of the day for cooking and packaging. Then after assembly my team and I would continue to work until break.
My co-workers and I would all have designated jobs and activities to do, and some of the workers would excel in certain areas as opposed to others. Creating a relaxed but diligent environment was necessary to finish the day's work on time so we could get a head start on the next day's preparations.
Pros
free lunch, coffe, 2 break per shift plus half hour lunch, good training
Career Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 10, 2016
This company had a good benefits package which afforded a reasonable package for individuals and families. They were very reasonable with the time constrains/balance schedule.
Government auditing
Assistant Audit Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2016
Worked with finance and accounting management to audit internal controls. Worked on a variety of audits. Prepared budgets, audit reports. Management and trained audit staff members.
Pros
Interesting work, good management
Cons
long daily commute
Salaries are too low
Career Success Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 10, 2016
Organization and benefits that are provided to current staff should be enhanced. I have been here for (11) years and have received a raise twice. Staff moral is very low.
Pros
free parking
Cons
low salaries
Very helpful
Assist both English and Spanish (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 14, 2016
A typical day was helping the clients as needed on the computer,
It was very easy talking to the management team. Good relationship with my co-workers. The hardest part was having the clients wait for their turns for a computer. The most enjoyable time was when we all spent time together.
Pros
Lunch time
Cons
Dealing with some of the clients
Flexible, secure place to work
Equal Opportunity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 28, 2015
The flexible schedule that DOL provides is great for people with families and/or busy schedules. Job security and benefits cannot be beat and salary is competitive.

Usually not fast-paced or high-pressure environment.

Rewarding in that you are serving members of society by helping to create equal employment opportunity in the workforce and fight discrimination in the workplace.
Productive, Positive Workplace
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 24, 2016
Co-Workers are energetic eager to go set health and safety inspections. Management is easy and understanding, My enjoyable part of my job is going out in the field to translate.
Pros
Very flexible with time and attendance