Department of Labor Employee Reviews in United States

Met alot of good people that has been working there for many years
Printing Specialist/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  148 Andrew Young BLVD Atlanta, Georgia 30331May 20, 2016
Was a wonderful work experience. Just takes years before you can be a permanent employer and reap the benefits. Loved working with the people
Promotes vocational and academic progress for non-traditional students 16-24
Outreach and Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 19, 2016
The Department of Labor, Job Corps Division, gives youth ages 16-24 the opportunity and ability to continue growth and development in life through vocational and academic pursuits. Many are able to correct mistakes of the past or enhance their education and skill development through disciplined training. The residential setting is a huge adjustment for the trainees and only 2 of the 125 centers nationwide are non-residential. Just as anything else in life, you get out what you put in!
Pros
Academic and Career Development
Cons
Adjusting to a residential facility and rigorous discipline
Salaries are too low
Career Success Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 10, 2016
Organization and benefits that are provided to current staff should be enhanced. I have been here for (11) years and have received a raise twice. Staff moral is very low.
Pros
free parking
Cons
low salaries
Enjoy my duties
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Office of the Assistant Secretary of ManagementMay 9, 2016
Constant prioritization of duties, assisting co-workers with their duties and supervision of employees in the absence of the Branch Chief
Enforcement got old fast... 2 years it was ok, but management plays favorites! Go figure!
Former Employee (Current Employee) –  OSHAMay 6, 2016
Would not recommend if you ever want to go back into the private sector... they will snub you. OSHA is all a political game.
Cons
Travel with more travel and then more travel on top of the travel
Productive fun work place
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 2, 2016
It was fun at work, i got alone with my co-workers,we worked as a team,but it was not enough fairness.Management could have done better.
Pros
Long breaks
Lots of travel
Curriculum Developer (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILApril 27, 2016
Great work environment with lots of travel across the United States. the pay was great and bonuses for the travel and work was appreciated. The general contractor and employees can be tough, but easy to befriend.
Rewarding
Labor and Employment Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 27, 2016
For a state agency it was great. The people I worked with were awesome, upper management were for the most part great. The work was rewarding.
Helping Disadvantage Youth of America
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
-A typical work day was field with meetings, incorporating new policy to bring a 2-billion-dollar program into the 21st century, and writing new strategic reports to address Transition Readiness and Placement for the program.

-I learn how to be a Contracting Officer Representative (COR) for Government Contracts.

-Management has a strong working knowledgeable about the National program and how it has remain successful for 50+ years, but management is shorthanded and could use more manpower for this transition period that the program is going through.

-Co-workers were very welcoming and informative about the program, gave assistance whenever I needed the help.

-The hardest part of the job for me was understanding how slow the government worked, when you’re trying to get something done.

-The most enjoyable part of the job for me, was knowing that I was making an impact on our country’s disadvantage youths across America and that I was having a positive impact on our economy for the good.
Pros
Business Travel
Cons
To much political red tape, slows down productivity.
Interesting and Exciting Experiences at the Dept of Labor
Industrial Hygienist (Compliance Health Safety (Former Employee) –  Augusta, ME 04330April 15, 2016
A typical day at work is ever changing, each day is different and the focus of OSHA is a important one. Employer employee relationships is our focus and safety is the name of the game. I learned to organize in ways I did not know I could so that I could recall information and getting to the information that I need. The hardest part of the job is dealing with angry people who think you are there to pick on them or shut the company down. The most enjoyable is knowing that you are making a difference and keeping employees safe.
Pros
New experiences
Cons
Alot of work never ends
The department of labor was a reall nice environmwnt to work in. My department workers were good team players.
Internship (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJApril 13, 2016
I really enjoyed the fact that my co-t workers and I were able to work together on a daily basis to get the job done. there was really great team work in our department. Everyone was really nice, outgoing and helpful. My co- workers were always teaching me new duties to better our department
Pros
clean environment, Nice people, Good Organization
Productive Fun environment
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 10, 2016
A typical day at work for me was helping end users reseting passwords, administrating privileges via Active Directory. Trouble shoot Printer connectivity. VPN issues configure outlook client on devices for end users. There was not much of a work load, Co-wokers are very friendly. the most enjoyable part of the job was where we come in as a family to eat lunch together and the manager/pm were really down to earth.
Pros
Long lunch hr, multiple brake.
Productive and a good training program
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYMarch 3, 2016
Good environment, learned pill counting know over a 100 drugs brand and generic and drug classes, great training program good study and practice for National Certification.
Hard working job enviorment but rewarding.
Culinary Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2016
A typical day at work starts with us setting up the kitchen then getting are job for the day and preparing it for the costumer. I learned basic sevsafe skills, knife skills, customer service and etc.
The chef is a fair man but expects hard work and most of the co-workers are alright. The hardest part of the job would be some of my co-workers who just do nothing and expect credit or the one who think they know everything. The most enjoyable part of the day comes from when I learned something new.
Pros
Free lunch, room and board, and healthcare
Cons
some of the people
i am ready to work and anytime
Hotel and Lodging Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 1, 2016
A typical day at work would consist on me getting the job done right and on time. and make sure everything is done before I clock out
Equal oppunity assistance (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 29, 2016
Come into work.
Sit at your desk, answer questions and write out cards.
Management: everyone handled their own business
Pros
Learning more about the company
department of labor
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 29, 2016
you set all the food and dessert on display. you label what the food is called. you restocked when the food started to get low. you served all the guest. the team I worked with was good. most of the foods were made from scratch
Pros
free lunch
Cons
A very productive workplace. Team players,dedication,and creativiity is a plus.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 25, 2016
My typical day is answering the directors lines, keying applications. Co-workers are very friendly and trustworthy.
Good place if you don't want to advance
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  ChicagoFebruary 16, 2016
The government is a great place to work if you don't want to advance. It's possible to advance, but don't expect to advance anytime soon. Most people sit in jobs for 20-30 years and you can't move up until that person retires or quits (which isn't that often). The work you perform is very limited in scope and is essentially line work.
Pros
Good work life balance, flexible hours
A typical day.
Customer service rep (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
Although i was only working there for a short period during the summer,i have to say i was very pleased with the supervisor and i loved the fact that i was able to interact with multiple amounts of people daily,given the fact that I'm also very social and personable.
Pros
lunches, slow days we got sent home early.
Cons
some people lacked patience.