Department of Labor Employee Reviews in United States

Appreciated the work experience
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 20, 2016
I appreciated the work experience. The schedules were flexible and responsibilities varied from day to day. A typical day was filled with prepping food, serving and clean-up.
Fun working place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Christiansted, VIJuly 17, 2016
On a typical day, I would go to a local bakery to be picked up by the people in charge of the internship program I was in. The program was held at a house, belonging to a local entrepreneur. The least enjoyable part of the job was working with people unprofessional, and ignorant. The most enjoyable part of the job was making homemade goods and selling them to the public. This job also gave me an opportunity to make friends with co-workers.
Pros
Transportation to and from the job
Cons
Having to pay for a ride everyday fro the job, and working with unprofessional people
Productive and fun
Grants Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 15, 2016
Great place to work. The day consist of learning, hard work and fun group of co-workers. The business is located in downtown Baltimore.
Pros
training
Cons
not able to work flexible schedule
Very helpful
Assist both English and Spanish (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 14, 2016
A typical day was helping the clients as needed on the computer,
It was very easy talking to the management team. Good relationship with my co-workers. The hardest part was having the clients wait for their turns for a computer. The most enjoyable time was when we all spent time together.
Pros
Lunch time
Cons
Dealing with some of the clients
Great mission, lots of job security, good salary, but poor leadership and no team spirit
Workforce Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2016
As a high level staff member (non-supervisory) with ten years on the job in a US DOL agency's regional office, I am largely self-directed. I am responsible for determining how to address the many questions from state grantees, respond to myriad urgent information requests from the national office of the agency and complete the quarterly cycles of reviewing grantee performance and financial reports and assessing the risk level of the dozens of projects that I oversee. However, if you're seeking clear cut guidance and black/white answers, you'll be very unhappy. Much of the day is spent researching very complex questions from extremely bright stakeholders -- to which we have not yet developed answers!

The best parts of this work and agency is that the mission is important, the external stakeholders are (largely) wonderful to work with and I learn something every single day in this work and in this field.

The hardest part of the job is that in my regional office has very poor leadership, little sense of cohesion and no collaboration or teamwork. In addition, regional leadership has not figured out how to hire appropriately-skilled, professional-level staff to replace retirees resulting in chronic under staffing and a growing number peers on the path to burnout. Lastly, since this is a Cabinet-level Department, national politics affects all areas of the agency at all levels.
Pros
Job security, work/life balance initiatives, good salary for the field, including locality pay for more expensive areas
Cons
Poor management and leadership at certain Regional Offices political appointee churn
Horrible place to work - management is paranoid and demanding.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 29, 2016
Paranoid, controlling environment. Excessive rate of turnover - average 2-3 employees a month quit. Intimidating environment, micro-managing supervisors; regional director is a major manipulator.
Economics
Economic Assistant, Bureau of Labor Statistics (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 23, 2016
I love what I do...love my boss!! Would recommend for any professional who would love a change of pace. However, I definitely feel underpaid. Unfortunately not a position offering much advancement potential.
work hard
Floor Tech/Porter (Former Employee) –  Altona, NYJune 20, 2016
work hard for no real pay . it's a place I will never be in the position to work again no benefits no health care no nothing. everybody felt
the same way.
Pros
didn't have to work to hard
Cons
no money
Working For The State of Alaska
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 20, 2016
standard working hours, limited ability to flex working hours

co- workers range from retirement age to middle aged, few young people in the work place
Student Chef
Student Chef (Former Employee) –  Job CorpJune 14, 2016
I would have to cook for students and stuff members, After the team would finish cooking we had to fully clean the kitchen.
Auto
Economic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 13, 2016
You spend a lot of time working alone and in your car. The office is normally in another state so you have no real support. They lay off and downsize then rehire often.
disliked this work place
CULINARY TRAINEE NORTHLANDS JOB CORPS (Former Employee) –  Vergennes, VTJune 1, 2016
this company worked me to my full potential the employees where very difficult to deal with they didn't care of the students education so much. No one worked as a team really it was a every man for them selves type of environment when it should really be team work.
Pros
a good training experience
Cons
no hourly pay
State Employment
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 31, 2016
· Provide employment services to applicants using knowledge of labor market
conditions, conducting data base searches, consulting with employers when necessary to confirm their specific needs.
· Work with Alternatives Inc. in assisting job search specific material to readily assist the offenders re-enter the job market on a bi-weekly basis and on a walk in basis and to assist in overcoming any barriers.
· Interview and assess applicant and employer needs and refer to applicable program(s).
· Interview and observe applicant, performing an initial assessment of physical, mental and educational abilities identifying any potential employment barriers.
· Conduct workshops to enhance job seekers skills in such areas as interviewing, resume writing, self-esteem, appearance and/or reentry into the workforce.
· Develop and/or administer training materials that assist employers and/or job seekers in finding and/or retaining employment/employees.
· Coordinate with local office services with VA Vocational Rehabilitation for job-
ready disabled veterans.
· Provide case management to programs that provide assistance to the job seeker to gain viable employment and/or reenter the workforce.
· Act as a resource to co-workers, employers, and veterans.
· Provide job seekers with vocational guidance in making limited occupational choice, change and adjustment using knowledge of applicant’s interests, abilities and current labor market.
· Administer valid, reliable tests to evaluate applicant’s interests, skills, aptitude and personality.
· Remain current on Federal, State labor/employment
  more... laws to provide accurate and timely assistance and/or referrals to job seekers and/or employers.  less
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
State employment restricts individual achievement
Productive work field and knowledgable co-workers work.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Hagåtña, GUMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work is just coming in 8am in the morning and continue working on the most recent task assigned to us by our boss. I have learned so much working for this department, from gaining more customer service skills to gaining more experience working in the Office field. The management and co-workers are very friendly, understanding and flexible. The hardest part of this job is when we get assigned a last minute assignment that needs to be done right away. The most enjoyable part of this job is having the opportunity to meet successful people on a daily basis and having the opportunity to gain more knowledge and experience working in the office field.
Pros
meeting new people everyday
benefits
Met alot of good people that has been working there for many years
Printing Specialist/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  148 Andrew Young BLVD Atlanta, Georgia 30331May 20, 2016
Was a wonderful work experience. Just takes years before you can be a permanent employer and reap the benefits. Loved working with the people
Promotes vocational and academic progress for non-traditional students 16-24
Outreach and Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 19, 2016
The Department of Labor, Job Corps Division, gives youth ages 16-24 the opportunity and ability to continue growth and development in life through vocational and academic pursuits. Many are able to correct mistakes of the past or enhance their education and skill development through disciplined training. The residential setting is a huge adjustment for the trainees and only 2 of the 125 centers nationwide are non-residential. Just as anything else in life, you get out what you put in!
Pros
Academic and Career Development
Cons
Adjusting to a residential facility and rigorous discipline
Salaries are too low
Career Success Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 10, 2016
Organization and benefits that are provided to current staff should be enhanced. I have been here for (11) years and have received a raise twice. Staff moral is very low.
Pros
free parking
Cons
low salaries
Enjoy my duties
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Office of the Assistant Secretary of ManagementMay 9, 2016
Constant prioritization of duties, assisting co-workers with their duties and supervision of employees in the absence of the Branch Chief
Enforcement got old fast... 2 years it was ok, but management plays favorites! Go figure!
Former Employee (Current Employee) –  OSHAMay 6, 2016
Would not recommend if you ever want to go back into the private sector... they will snub you. OSHA is all a political game.
Cons
Travel with more travel and then more travel on top of the travel
Productive fun work place
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 2, 2016
It was fun at work, i got alone with my co-workers,we worked as a team,but it was not enough fairness.Management could have done better.
Pros
Long breaks