Department of Labor Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, Positive Workplace
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 24, 2016
Co-Workers are energetic eager to go set health and safety inspections. Management is easy and understanding, My enjoyable part of my job is going out in the field to translate.
Pros
Very flexible with time and attendance
A very productive work place
interviewer 1 (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 15, 2016
Ori is a great work place , friendly co workers and everyone is very helpful with training and learning the job dutites. The pay was excellent
Career Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 10, 2016
This company had a good benefits package which afforded a reasonable package for individuals and families. They were very reasonable with the time constrains/balance schedule.
Professional environment
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 4, 2016
This compay was the best company that I had the pleasure to ever work for they treated me with respect and professionalism
Good hours, lousy pay, managers decent at last two positions
Middletown Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Levittown, PAAugust 3, 2016
I enjoyed my last two positions with Goodwill and when my time was up and no longer eligible to work for them due to a four year limit I continued working as a volunteer at Foxwood because I enjoyed the job and the work I was doing.
Pros
Gave me money to help with bills
Cons
Only allowed in program for 4 years
The best place to work and earn satisfaction.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2016
At DOL Job at work and family life of employees are balances. Compensation at DOL is competitive while benefits are exceptional. Job security and advancement are guaranteed as long as the employee performs right. Management is always pro employees, while job culture is based on the mission of the agency.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Few employees, hard work.
Shh! Don't rock the boat.
Fiscal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2016
Management at this job was really, really good. Lower-level employees, especially the older employees, were unqualified and routinely obstructed work from being done. Once I got access to the systems that I needed access to (6 weeks) the lower level employees were suddenly really hostile. Files disappeared. I got yelled at for retrieving files that I was supposed to have to do my job. It's not a professional environment on the lower levels. People spent hours (say noon to 3) at lunch and worked through one or two cases per day when the cases only take 15 minutes at maximum to enter into the system. Trying to squeeze promotions out of management and eliminate rivals were my co-workers' main goals.
The best part of the job was getting paid. It was easy, light work and the pay seemed phenomenal for how little I was doing.
Pros
Money
Cons
Unprofessional attitudes and hostility.
High stress environment, great learning expierence
Medical Assistant Back Office (Former Employee) –  West Warwick, RIAugust 2, 2016
Greeted patients and provided triage depending on need, such as appointment schedules and records.
Managed office supplies, vendors, organization and upkeep.
Prepared treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and
Maintained a clean reception area, including lounge and associated areas
Pros
preferred field of work
Cons
Management needed some adjustments
Good Job Experience for Stepping Stone
Federal Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 30, 2016
Good company to work for with many benefits and chances for job advancement. Typical day on Second shift; Clock in and get report from 1st Shift, Start patrolling 30 acre grounds, Mentor and Monitor trainee behavior and report all problems to shift supervisor.
Employment for veterans
LVER- Veteran Representative (Current Employee) –  Cordele, GAJuly 23, 2016
Maintained a case management for at 20 veterans, conducted workshops such as resume writing, interviewing skills, dress for success, stress release and more. I learned how to conduct case management and a new software. The hardest part of the job was not being able to find suitable employment for a veteran. The most enjoyable part of the job was going beyond my job description and see the veteran get medical benefits due to my refer. The technology for this local government was great and training also.
Pros
Freedom to be creative in serving the veterans
Cons
Not enough jobs in the area.
Appreciated the work experience
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 20, 2016
I appreciated the work experience. The schedules were flexible and responsibilities varied from day to day. A typical day was filled with prepping food, serving and clean-up.
Fun working place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Christiansted, VIJuly 17, 2016
On a typical day, I would go to a local bakery to be picked up by the people in charge of the internship program I was in. The program was held at a house, belonging to a local entrepreneur. The least enjoyable part of the job was working with people unprofessional, and ignorant. The most enjoyable part of the job was making homemade goods and selling them to the public. This job also gave me an opportunity to make friends with co-workers.
Pros
Transportation to and from the job
Cons
Having to pay for a ride everyday fro the job, and working with unprofessional people
Productive and fun
Grants Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 15, 2016
Great place to work. The day consist of learning, hard work and fun group of co-workers. The business is located in downtown Baltimore.
Pros
training
Cons
not able to work flexible schedule
Very helpful
Assist both English and Spanish (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 14, 2016
A typical day was helping the clients as needed on the computer,
It was very easy talking to the management team. Good relationship with my co-workers. The hardest part was having the clients wait for their turns for a computer. The most enjoyable time was when we all spent time together.
Pros
Lunch time
Cons
Dealing with some of the clients
Great mission, lots of job security, good salary, but poor leadership and no team spirit
Workforce Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 12, 2016
As a high level staff member (non-supervisory) with ten years on the job in a US DOL agency's regional office, I am largely self-directed. I am responsible for determining how to address the many questions from state grantees, respond to myriad urgent information requests from the national office of the agency and complete the quarterly cycles of reviewing grantee performance and financial reports and assessing the risk level of the dozens of projects that I oversee. However, if you're seeking clear cut guidance and black/white answers, you'll be very unhappy. Much of the day is spent researching very complex questions from extremely bright stakeholders -- to which we have not yet developed answers!

The best parts of this work and agency is that the mission is important, the external stakeholders are (largely) wonderful to work with and I learn something every single day in this work and in this field.

The hardest part of the job is that in my regional office has very poor leadership, little sense of cohesion and no collaboration or teamwork. In addition, regional leadership has not figured out how to hire appropriately-skilled, professional-level staff to replace retirees resulting in chronic under staffing and a growing number peers on the path to burnout. Lastly, since this is a Cabinet-level Department, national politics affects all areas of the agency at all levels.
Pros
Job security, work/life balance initiatives, good salary for the field, including locality pay for more expensive areas
Cons
Poor management and leadership at certain Regional Offices political appointee churn
Horrible place to work - management is paranoid and demanding.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 29, 2016
Paranoid, controlling environment. Excessive rate of turnover - average 2-3 employees a month quit. Intimidating environment, micro-managing supervisors; regional director is a major manipulator.
Economics
Economic Assistant, Bureau of Labor Statistics (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 23, 2016
I love what I do...love my boss!! Would recommend for any professional who would love a change of pace. However, I definitely feel underpaid. Unfortunately not a position offering much advancement potential.
work hard
Floor Tech/Porter (Former Employee) –  Altona, NYJune 20, 2016
work hard for no real pay . it's a place I will never be in the position to work again no benefits no health care no nothing. everybody felt
the same way.
Pros
didn't have to work to hard
Cons
no money
Working For The State of Alaska
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 20, 2016
standard working hours, limited ability to flex working hours

co- workers range from retirement age to middle aged, few young people in the work place
Student Chef
Student Chef (Former Employee) –  Job CorpJune 14, 2016
I would have to cook for students and stuff members, After the team would finish cooking we had to fully clean the kitchen.