Department of Labor Employee Reviews

not a great work environment
Warehouse Worker and Butcher (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYFebruary 18, 2017
the work was simple and easy, but the management kept adding and making workers do more than what was necessary in order to complete the task. too much micro managing
Pros
free lunch
Cons
micro managing supervisors
Office Administrator
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bamberg, SCFebruary 18, 2017
Introduced new students to the program and guided them as they began their coursework.

Collected telephone survey data, read questionnaire verbatim, met goals, used proper interviewing techniques, recorded responses & ensured confidentiality.

Telecommunication applications such as email, conference calling and video conferencing
Productive Informative Working Environment
Planning Performance Evaluation and Communication (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 8, 2017
Department of Labor can be an enjoyable place to work at depending on your agency and colleagues. I learned how to created spreadsheets, schedule meetings, order office supplies and equipment. Also I scanned files and organized them into the system's database
Was a sort of rush job
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 2, 2017
They gave me the necessary means to pass along and no real certifications to go with my training.

I had to really stress my brain to keep up with my training which overall did me no good in the fact that the hadnt given me thr appropriate certs.
Dedicated employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2017
The career employees at the Department of Labor are an incredibly talented and dedicated group, committed to promoting opportunity for and protecting the rights of American workers.
Department of Labor Summary
Contractor, Data Base Systems Analyst, Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2017
The typical day was always challenging and seemed to change daily, I would monitor the events that had happened during a prior production run and traced and debugged any problems that were found. I learned so many things from just working in the environment, form tracing issues to providing resolutions. The management was always informed of any issues and resolutions. They allowed us to make decisions independently and only required a status on the tasks we were asked to perform. The workplace culture was fairly relaxed, most people went to the top floor to eat in the cafeteria and often people would eat with their respective group or fellow co-worker, conversations would range from the latest sports news to the weather reports in different parts of the country. The hardest part of my job was leaving so many wonderful people that I had met and established a bond with.
Pros
You always had a flexable schedule for comming in to work, i.e early or work late as needed.
Cons
Leaving was really hard for me, considering all the friendships that I established with my coworkers.
Unemployment Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 25, 2017
I was contractoral for 6 years. And the unit made me feel like part of a family. I understand budget cuts and I am greatful for the chance to work with great people.
Pros
close to home
Cons
contractoral
CLAIM EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 18, 2017
I really like working at Department of Labor. It was the first job in the government that gave me independency and flexibility. The work was very challenging and I obtain skills I never had.
Pros
It was not a lot of stressful enviroment and the people were great to work with.
Cons
It was 4 years term position
Productive envíronment. Great colleagues
Coordinator/Manager (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandJanuary 16, 2017
Great employer. Excellent opportunities for advancement. Provide Great employment and training services to the residents of the state. Excellent benefits provided to employees
Typical day at the Dept. of Labor
Administrative Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  GuamJanuary 13, 2017
Working here helped me determine if I enjoy working in an office, and I do. I provided customer service and was trusted with many personal files. What I enjoyed the most about this job was that it was a easy-going, fun environment.
All depends on deadlines and who is your boss
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2017
It was a positive experience in overall with one caveat - if you are under wrong leadership or updated information comes late, you are not able to complete the tasks on time. You have to stay ahead of the game and get the work done. There is a lot of co-operations with your peers which makes the job easier and fun. DOL provides an array of training if you are a permanent employee but unavailable if your boss is careless about your advancement or plain bad manager. You cannot sign up for studies or take a day for a conference if you want. Everything goes through your immediate supervisor. If the boss is a good manager, you will have a lot of benefits and professional growth.
Pros
Training, allowed time for lunch is reasonable, occasional telecommute allowed
Cons
Do not work as a contractor with a wrong contracting company.
Pre apprentice Electrical (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 3, 2017
Teachs you hands on knowledge of your trade choice. DOL helps with job placement, they'll help you gain verification for you can be more employable and have more knowledge of your trade of choice.
Rewards in helping
Department of Labor Customer Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJJanuary 2, 2017
Its very rewarding when you can help customers in their needs and point to other possible benefits they might not be aware of. I t requires patience and concentration.
Pros
rewarding in helping others
Cons
too busy
Productive and fun
Road department (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSDecember 29, 2016
Productive and fun experience while still being able to attend college. Flagging traffic, pouring concrete, shelving concrete. Great company to work for.
Pros
Summer job
Cons
Short breaks
Interesting and rewarding envoriment.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CaliforniaDecember 28, 2016
Each day is different. Investigative work is fun and challenging. The opportunity to enforce Federal Laws and being able to help the working people of America is most rewarding.

The experience in developing enforcement initiatives, Planning, training and executing enforcement initiatives and reporting on initiative results enlightened me to different aspect of maqnagement.
Pros
Conducting investigations.
a fun work environment
wood machinist (Former Employee) –  Cameron, MODecember 28, 2016
A great work environment with the ability to learn and accomplish as much as you are willing to do. I hope to further my skills in a career of similar field.
My reward.
Coordinator of Welfare (Former Employee) –  Durango, CODecember 18, 2016
This was my first program coordinator job. I took on more and more responsibilities and at the end of that job, I was juggling 3 offices in three counties and did it successfully. I believed in what I was doing an0d those families I was making a difference to those I served in my community. It was very rewarding.
Pros
I was never micromanaged.
Cons
I hated driving in ice and snow everyday in the winter as my offices were spread out.
Productive always busy
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VIDecember 15, 2016
This job is always busy. Its a job where you learn different things and meet a lot of different people. Its some place that shows you different aspects.
Pleasant Work Experience
Immigration certification specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2016
I have a pleasant work experience daily at DOL. Here at the Department of Labor Immigration certification I have the daily pleasure of assisting with the paper work to help migrant workers secure the proper visa to work within the US.
Statistical Agency
Economist (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 10, 2016
A typical day at the office involves reading the Daily Labor Report first, then answering emails and phone questions about our statistics. Coworkers are all introverts and work alone most of the time. The hardest part of the job is getting along with statistical people. The most enjoyable part is helping people solve their data and income problems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Labor. Our community is ready to answer.