Department of Labor Employee Reviews

Productive and great atmosphere to work at
Operations Management - Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYSeptember 24, 2016
I was a student trainee for the black lung office. Within this job I had several duties. This included making sure all documents processed within that day got mailed out to the client, the lawyer, the judge, and/or the survivor. I was responsible for tracking the large documents that have been mailed out. Overseen the file room and mail room. Overseeing the large file room and keeping that in order helped me gain valuable operations management skills. I also met all requests gave by claims examiners and senior claims examiners.
This was a very enjoyable job. It was only for students so when I graduated I had to quit.
Pros
Flexible schedule where I was a full time student
Cons
Very very heavy work load while being a full time student
Wonderful
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2016
Great company, co-workers, and management. I enjoy working with them, wouldn't mind finding another job through them.
Many different duties and oppurtunites
Warehouse Worker and Butcher (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYSeptember 20, 2016
I would get to work and put on my coveralls, gloves, hairnet, and hat, and start to assemble the machinery to be used for the day, as well as using the power jack to bring in the product of the day for cooking and packaging. Then after assembly my team and I would continue to work until break.
My co-workers and I would all have designated jobs and activities to do, and some of the workers would excel in certain areas as opposed to others. Creating a relaxed but diligent environment was necessary to finish the day's work on time so we could get a head start on the next day's preparations.
Pros
free lunch, coffe, 2 break per shift plus half hour lunch, good training
Skilled based job assigned to highly motivated personels
Field Engineer Assistance (Former Employee) –  Saint Georges, GrdSeptember 17, 2016
A job that helps you develop your critical thinking attribute while fostering anot environment for professional mental growth
What I learned at Phoenix Job Corps
Full Time Trainee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2016
I learned to work and thrive in a fast paced, loud, multicultural environment. I was taught all the necessaryskills to preform in an office whether it be seurity or as an administrative assistant.
Daily Work Day Dose
claims processor (Current Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 5, 2016
A typical day at work shows high demand from the clientele we have either over the phone or in person. The work provided to us is consistent and we always learn something new everyday. With the change in daily instructions, sometimes there is an issue with lack of communication which can make the job difficult at times. But the best part of the job is always being able to satisfy the client.
Pros
consistent work, health benefits
Cons
instructions change frequently, communication not always the best
Learning Experience of safety standards
Federal Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJAugust 27, 2016
I was tasked to implement safety features and render audits to center staff. I also supervised a security staff of 45 around the clock. Working closely with staff and trainees in making there campus life safe and without concern. Implemented active shooter drills.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
communication break downs
very uplifting envrioment
Culinary Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 24, 2016
A regular day at work would include setting up for the front of the house depending on the event or prepping food. My co workers are very friendly and dependable. The hardest part about the day would be traffic.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Productive, Positive Workplace
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 24, 2016
Co-Workers are energetic eager to go set health and safety inspections. Management is easy and understanding, My enjoyable part of my job is going out in the field to translate.
Pros
Very flexible with time and attendance
A very productive work place
interviewer 1 (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLAugust 15, 2016
Ori is a great work place , friendly co workers and everyone is very helpful with training and learning the job dutites. The pay was excellent
Career Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 10, 2016
This company had a good benefits package which afforded a reasonable package for individuals and families. They were very reasonable with the time constrains/balance schedule.
Professional environment
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 4, 2016
This compay was the best company that I had the pleasure to ever work for they treated me with respect and professionalism
Good hours, lousy pay, managers decent at last two positions
Middletown Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Levittown, PAAugust 3, 2016
I enjoyed my last two positions with Goodwill and when my time was up and no longer eligible to work for them due to a four year limit I continued working as a volunteer at Foxwood because I enjoyed the job and the work I was doing.
Pros
Gave me money to help with bills
Cons
Only allowed in program for 4 years
The best place to work and earn satisfaction.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2016
At DOL Job at work and family life of employees are balances. Compensation at DOL is competitive while benefits are exceptional. Job security and advancement are guaranteed as long as the employee performs right. Management is always pro employees, while job culture is based on the mission of the agency.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Few employees, hard work.
Shh! Don't rock the boat.
Fiscal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2016
Management at this job was really, really good. Lower-level employees, especially the older employees, were unqualified and routinely obstructed work from being done. Once I got access to the systems that I needed access to (6 weeks) the lower level employees were suddenly really hostile. Files disappeared. I got yelled at for retrieving files that I was supposed to have to do my job. It's not a professional environment on the lower levels. People spent hours (say noon to 3) at lunch and worked through one or two cases per day when the cases only take 15 minutes at maximum to enter into the system. Trying to squeeze promotions out of management and eliminate rivals were my co-workers' main goals.
The best part of the job was getting paid. It was easy, light work and the pay seemed phenomenal for how little I was doing.
Pros
Money
Cons
Unprofessional attitudes and hostility.
High stress environment, great learning expierence
Medical Assistant Back Office (Former Employee) –  West Warwick, RIAugust 2, 2016
Greeted patients and provided triage depending on need, such as appointment schedules and records.
Managed office supplies, vendors, organization and upkeep.
Prepared treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and
Maintained a clean reception area, including lounge and associated areas
Pros
preferred field of work
Cons
Management needed some adjustments
Good Job Experience for Stepping Stone
Federal Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 30, 2016
Good company to work for with many benefits and chances for job advancement. Typical day on Second shift; Clock in and get report from 1st Shift, Start patrolling 30 acre grounds, Mentor and Monitor trainee behavior and report all problems to shift supervisor.
Employment for veterans
LVER- Veteran Representative (Current Employee) –  Cordele, GAJuly 23, 2016
Maintained a case management for at 20 veterans, conducted workshops such as resume writing, interviewing skills, dress for success, stress release and more. I learned how to conduct case management and a new software. The hardest part of the job was not being able to find suitable employment for a veteran. The most enjoyable part of the job was going beyond my job description and see the veteran get medical benefits due to my refer. The technology for this local government was great and training also.
Pros
Freedom to be creative in serving the veterans
Cons
Not enough jobs in the area.
Appreciated the work experience
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 20, 2016
I appreciated the work experience. The schedules were flexible and responsibilities varied from day to day. A typical day was filled with prepping food, serving and clean-up.
Fun working place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Christiansted, VIJuly 17, 2016
On a typical day, I would go to a local bakery to be picked up by the people in charge of the internship program I was in. The program was held at a house, belonging to a local entrepreneur. The least enjoyable part of the job was working with people unprofessional, and ignorant. The most enjoyable part of the job was making homemade goods and selling them to the public. This job also gave me an opportunity to make friends with co-workers.
Pros
Transportation to and from the job
Cons
Having to pay for a ride everyday fro the job, and working with unprofessional people