Department of Mental Health Employee Reviews

Great Experience
Food Service Specialist 1 (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 6, 2017
On a daily basis we interact with the residence. We serve them 3 meals a day plus snacks. I enjoy the conversations that I engage in with them. I really enjoy working for this company.
Cool place
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAAugust 25, 2017
This place is cool to work at. The county is the best, i shouldnt of left. I should of atayed to help others that need my help its important to society
Mental health worker (Former Employee) –  Jamaica Plain, MAAugust 10, 2017
Helping the needy and also making sure that patients are ready for doctors appointment and a typical day is helping patients get through a hard day from doctors appointment to having a funfilled day
Great team of co-workers and supervisors.
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Anderson, SCAugust 6, 2017
Conducting and organizing therapy sessions for children and their families with a variety of behavioral and mental issues. Identifying needs and implementing individualized treatment plans and interventions.
Great pay and benefits but DMH is poorly managed
Emergency Service Director (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJuly 19, 2017
Management is more concerned with local / state politics than with the care and safety of their clients and staff. Management is based on a "good old boy" systems of secrecy and collusion.
Pros
Great pay and benefits /good staff
Cons
Management is disorganized and sadistic
Wealth of experience available to
Clinical Casework Practitioner (Current Employee) –  MissouriJuly 18, 2017
Supervision and administration are great to work with, and you truly feel like you are part of a team. I hate to be in the current position that I am in regarding having to leave this opportunity, but I can no longer make the commute from Poplar Bluff to Farmington which is 1 hour and 10 minutes each way.
Great Balance of work and fulfillment of tasks at hand
Buyer II (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 11, 2017
Working in a fast paced environment is ideal. Most enjoyable part of the job is accomplishing a task at hand. I've learning procurement (Commbuys) and the accounting system (MMARs) for Commonwealth of Massachusetts. When faced with a problem I come up with a plan and implement the resolution. If there is a question, I am not afraid to ask for help.
fun place
Production cook (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 10, 2017
it was a great place to work we had lots of fun when I was there learning how to do cook chill was nice never did that before that was something that I like
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
we got breaks
Fun working place
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJune 28, 2017
Great people to work with. I learned an abundance of things while there. I enjoyed every minute of it and hated to leave. The moral is great as well as the hours.
Certified Pharmacy Tech-C.M. Tucker
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 26, 2017
Pharmacy-great and my comments would end there if it wasn't for the med deliveries completed throughout the hospital. The employees in other departments look like they are mad at the world. You can smile at them and speak everyday and they will just look at you. How can you expect the patients to enjoy their residence when the staff walks around like zombies. Maybe, it's BC of the pay, if so, I can understand. The pharmacy itself is run by an excellent director. She's a beautiful person inside and out. As well as, the other pharmacists and pharmacy techs. Quiet, non-stressful, slow, clean, and friendly environment within the pharmacy but other departments-not so much. The day-to-day tasks are pretty mundane. This would be a good job for someone just starting out in pharmacy or someone who wants a repetitive day to day work routine.
Pros
Pharmacy staff
Cons
Pay, other staff members
Csw a/b
Clinical Social Work (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 25, 2017
Overall, a positive experience working for DMH. Staff are invested in providing treatment for clients and forming therapeutic relationships. Challenges include the lack of services in the community and the misuse of some of those available services. There are not enough treatment programs, or outpt providers to make referrals to in a timely manner support the continuum of care in the community. Management styles and staff morale vary from department to department within the agency. I was fortunate to have a clinically astute, supportive and flexible supervisor. The team worked great together and provided clinical consult and support to one another.
can be fun at times
Mental Health Specialist/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 12, 2017
Working at Department of Mental health was mentally and physically draining at time due to under staff. I enjoyed working with the mentally ill patients because most of the time they will keep you smiling.
great place of employment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  CTMay 25, 2017
great to work with a variety of different patients. perform venipuncture on hartford hospital patients, geriatric, infants, substance abuse and mental health patients.
Pros
worked with variety of patients
Cons
cotract job
my first office job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 24, 2017
here i learned how to file papers , use excel , advanced in data entry ,sharpened my organizational skills as an summer intern it was a great professional environment
Fiscal Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 17, 2017
Worked here for over 20 years, Great place to work. Warm environment and friendly faces. Learned a lot here, and cant see what the future holds for a career that started here.
a stressfull enviroment because of management
lpn (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 15, 2017
go to work count narcotics get report and assignments.make runs and check on patients intervene if needed.pass medications and go home.monitor for patients for mental/health changes
Pros
close to home and some good people to work with
Cons
poor management very prunitive enviroment
Work environment sometimes more difficult than necessary due to staff shortages.
Habilitation Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Lemay, MOMay 1, 2017
Not a bad place to work when you had enough staff on duty. However, when short of staff often times the work load would be a challenge. None the less all of the residents got all of their basic needs met such as: personal hygiene, three meals and two snacks a day, educational training/skills and recreational/leisure time activities.
A good work place i love being able to help others
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 21, 2017
Its a good atmosphere!! I love my job.. I love be able to help others that in need for my help.the hardest part about this job is Tge clients behavior.. They can really be be aggravated at times.. I learned that people with special needs are human too.. They just need more love from someone else!
Benefits
Cons
No 401k
Great job except for particular unit managers and administration
LPN II (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAApril 17, 2017
Tewksbury hospital was a great place to work, my favorite job so far. My personal experience, however, with administration and my unit manager skewed unfair to me for a number of reasons, none of which was disrespect, insubordination, mistreatment of patients, poor skill set, lying, disrespecting boundaries, or medication diversion. I was a favorite nurse among staff and patients alike, I brought a lot of knowledge of procedures and equipment to the job, which I shared and taught to RNs and NPs. I had many great ideas and problem solving skills and contributed greatly to the overall culture of Tewksbury Hospital. However, I felt quite disrespected. I felt scrutinized, and at times attacked by my superiors, so much so that many staff, including managers and ancillary staff, frequently commented that I was being treated badly and questioned my managers motives for overreacting to every minute error/misstep. No other employee during my time there had experienced such poor treatment. I was treated differently for no apparent reason. Despite the negative, I got a lot out of the positive, meeting and working with supportive staff, and getting to know the patients, who trusted me and felt comfortable with me after getting to know each other. I would even go back there, I miss my job that much.
Pros
Friendly and supportive staff workers, successful team-based model
Cons
Administration and unit manager out of touch, favored employees who kowtowed to them, But over-scrutinized other employees
The Typical Day
Forensic Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20032March 28, 2017
A typical day consisted of reporting to work on time, meeting your supervisor and reporting to your assigned unit. Do an accountability check of patients and property. Record vitals and attending report.
I've learned to follow protocol, department orders and try to make responsible decisions and if not sure to seek the opinion of another or the chain of command. To be empathetic and firm when needed, and to access each scenario on an individual basis. My knowledge is from the criminal aspect, and mentally ill patients. The work culture was some what standard depending on the milieu of the setting, environment, or unit. The hardest part of the job was not have the essentials you needed to perform your job as well as you possibly could have some time due to back log, budget etc. Completing my tour of duty going home without an injury to staff and patient, basically non-incidental.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a