Department Of Public Health Employee Reviews in United States

It was not a pleasant Department to work in.
Dept. of Public Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 19, 2015
I did my work to the best of my ability, and enjoyed my coworkers. It was a hard Department to get any type of Promotion and after 7 years of waiting I got out and have not looked back. It was too micromanaged and the work environment was not good. Prayers got me through every day and onto a better plan in life.
Pros
Cons
micromanaged, not a good work area
Great work environment, 4/10 shifts
Chief Nursing Officer/Clinical Service Manager (Current Employee) –  EL Paso texasMay 30, 2015
great environment great work experience. monday-thusday schedule. Lots of training on public health and diseases including TB and STD. Supportive Co-workers. Hardest part of the job is the politics. Most enjoyable part is knowing you are protecting the community.
Pros
4/10 shift, great benefits, holidays off
Cons
no raises :(
Nothing to say.
Associate Governmental Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 4, 2015
I really do not know what to say. Working for the State of California used to be very excellent and rewarding now not so much.
Pros
Decent Benefits, Moderate Job Security
Cons
Lack of public respect due to being public employees.
Dental Hygiene for General Public
Dental Assistant Extern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 4, 2015
I worked at the Dental Health Clinic for two months last summer for school. I was building my resume while still in school. I was working Monday through Thursday for school hours as a student. Working there as a Dental Assistant really made me excited to actually find work as a paid DA for the future. I filed charts, checked in patients, set up x-rays, prepped and cleaned rooms, assisted the dentist with minor dental surgeries. It was a good experience working with patients of all ages. They only down fall about the job was that it was for school and I wasn't getting paid. Other than that I really enjoyed the experience.
Pros
learning hands on job experience
Cons
practicum student, no pay
Administrative, Labor Liason
Utility maintenance coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2015
Being associated with many levels of operations and personal. Director of Public Health, Mayors office, San Francisco General and Laguna Honda Hospitals and Public Clinics.
Pros
Understanding city politics
Cons
Unhealthy enviroments
Good workplace
Operations Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 26, 2015
Three stars in management and balancing work life. DPH is a good stepping stone for careers and learning environment. Pleasant work environment..
Hands On Position
Community Field Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 11, 2015
You work constantly with the public to improve health and wellness among communities. I think we are definitely leaders in the public health sector.
Productive and fun co-workers.
Adm Support Asst III/II, Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, AlabamaFebruary 5, 2014
Typical day at work busy, very productive. Everyday is different with different opportunities to be resolved. Co-workers are great we work as a team and fill in for each other when it is nescessary. The hardest part of the job is trying to complete everything within the work day. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping others in need.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
salary raise, management, healthcare, security
Department of Public Health
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 22, 2015
It was a wonderful job I was just young when I got this job and mak\de some very poor decisions. I wish I could get this job back bu they are on hiring freeze at the moment
Best place to work
Typist Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 2, 2012
I never realized how awesome it was to work for the county. I thought it would be a boring job. There are a lot of advancement opportunities, the best health benefits for permanent employees, and they can sure keep you busy. The jobs can be challenging but I haven't found a job that I couldn't do. My co-workers were wonderful to work with and so helpful. I loved the data entry part. The hardest part for me was making copies all day some times those machines are somewhat soothing it's hard to stay awake. All in all I loved this job and wished I could have stayed on with the county.
Pros
keeps you busy, wonderful people to work with, learning new skills, health fairs can be fun and many advancement opportunities with great benefits
Cons
job freezes
Fun and Knowledgeable
Tuberculosis (TB) Medical Records Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2015
Fun, loving, Caring, and knowledgeable place to work. You gain the experience you need. I enjoy working with my colleagues, because they display teamwork
Pros
learning experience as well as friendly
Cons
n/a
First Time
Processing Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 7, 2015
This was my first job in the medical field and I fell in love from day one. I gained a lot of experience by working in the different clinics on the military bases in Hawaii.
Friendly atmosphere, easy work environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of staying busy and also being kept up on all the new requirements for the department.

I learned a lot of things pertaining to the job.

Management was very nice and friendly.

My co-workers were easy to get along with.

There really was no hard parts to this job.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people that I worked with.
benefits
Cons
n/a
I am interested to work a job for inspiration.
High Volume Cook (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 2, 2015
Great company and cooking staff. I learned a lot from the team members for recipe building and delivery of delicious Thai meals.
Productive and awsome work place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ontario CaAugust 6, 2015
Daily Duties would include: Rooming patients, vitals, wound care, ear lavage, assisting the Physician, Refferals, Blood Draws, Multiple specialtys, Room Sanitization, Procedure setup, Answer Phones, Filling.
Love it
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working for these people, they were very organized and kept me informed on positions that were available. I worked with several recruiters and all were super nice!
A interesting job with variety of calls.
call center clerk (Current Employee) –  Baldwin Park, CAJune 11, 2015
a typical day at work will be receive around 35 calls and directing the call to its appreciate department, everyday is a learning experience with my co-workers working together to best address the customer.
Many challenges with government bureaucracy
Public Health Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Barrigada, GUApril 29, 2014
Professional management skills and organizational skills of upper management were not demonstrated during the first 15 - 20 years of my employment. Too much government interference with the execution of the goals of public health. Either unqualified leadership or semi-qualified individuals with poor administrative skills appointed by the governor to head Public Health.
Pros
level of my position in public health somewhat protected me from too much bureaucratic nonsense.
Cons
generally not an environment that encourages professional growth.
Sfgh
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 8, 2012
Worked with patient and check demographic, check patient’s medical benefits to clear them for surgery.
Pull patients personal file daily.
Skilled in how to communicate with patients especially when they are in extreme pain.
Worked well with all my co-workers, making sure they had the necessary information before interviewing patients.
Working in the City & County hospital in extreme pressure, knowing how to cope with patients and family members prior to surgery.
the best part of the job, I like being busy, makes the day go by faster.
Pros
amenities; free massages and exercise classes during lunch.
Cons
only that this position was temporary. " as needed".
Exciting workplace with the Department of Public Health
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 12, 2012
On any given workday, I travel from place to place inspecting the sanitary standards of many different locations such as restaurants or public schools. For example at a restaurant I insure that the kitchen is clean, the food is cooked thoroughly and all the personnel are abiding by the sanitary standards by washing their hands and wearing gloves or hairpieces. I also inspect sewage disposal systems, private water systems, water wells and garbage disposal systems of a variety of public areas.
Pros
full benefits and company pays for a percentage of your health care