Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

nonaplicable
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMay 23, 2017
it is a busy place that is fast passed, and is very stressful but everyone there helps each other and ever one does get along well with everyone else.
transition job
Technical support Analyst 1 (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 23, 2017
helped people with computer issues.
troubleshoot computer issues over the phone
remoted in to work stations to assist customers with problems.
the hardest part of the job was the overnight shifts
Pros
good place to work
Cons
hours were not conducive to home life
Challenging
Correctional Officer III (Current Employee) –  Scotland County, NCMay 22, 2017
Good job to work for. Almost impossible to get fired from. Just show up for work and don't try to to sneak anything in for the inmates and that it. Don't do any favors
Easy Going
Safety Escort (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2017
The job was very easy and well paying. I would site at predetermined locations around campus and keep an eye out for suspicious people or activity. Another duty was to escort anyone who felt unsafe.
Great Job, just boring.
Sergeant/Investigator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 19, 2017
I was a Supervisor/Investigator in this job. The Administration was great. I would have probably still be working there, but the pay was low. I enjoyed this job.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
pay was low
Short Staffed
Clerical Trainee (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVMay 14, 2017
Short staffed majority of the employment I was there. was flexible about scheduling for taking off for appointments. Males should not be receptionists. I didn't have the correct attitude to work the front desk.
Hard work with good compensation
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 14, 2017
No more than about 25% of folks can go more than the 25 years here but those who can manage to cross the finish line in a very hard job are well rewarded. I completed my 25 years and now am able to work doing what I want to do. Work in Probation and the courts is easy and dealing with offenders is not overly hard even when one has to make arrest, what can be hard is being second guessed and this can occur at the highest level so one has to have a certain amount of mental toughness to deal with this. One also has to deal
with a ever changing focus of attention and evolving policy which means one has to remain constantly attentive to the evolving themes and focuses which tend to have 4 month runs before another theme takes over. All and all, a pretty good place to work if you have a degree of mental toughness and good co-workers to work with as a close team. For me, I wouldn't have traded it for the world but this work is not for everyone.
Pros
Stimulating work
Cons
Being second guessed by management
not my dream job
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMay 10, 2017
Working for the state was not for me at the time. Did not enjoy being stuck in an office with no windows. Job was easy. Little pay but amazing benefits.
Summary
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMay 2, 2017
Compensation is quite low for the amount of knowledge that you are expected to have for the job. Management is a complete mess. The one positive of working for DPS is job security since the turnover rate is so high.
Good place to work as all facets of the job required the safety of staff but also the safety of the inmates.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 1, 2017
Excellent place to work. Officers had to work as a team to ensure their own safety and also the safety of the inmates. Management or the Administrative personnel were familiar with the day to day operations of the facility; as they themselves worked their way up the professional ladder from direct support positions into administrative positions.
decent work place
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCApril 10, 2017
A typical workday was normal the only problem was management and other employees. I learned for experience for something else other than the prison setting but would never return.
Fast pace
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 6, 2017
I worked in the Mental Health Complex and I enjoyed the challenge everyday. The benefits were amazing and the pay was great! I really miss the challenge it gave daily the most.
Highly structured work environment
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2017
A typical day at DPS involved working with a diverse public all day long...very demanding. There are many rules and regulations safeguarding the processing and issuance of state driver's licenses and identification cards. The hardest part of the job is dealing one-on-one with the public. The most enjoyable part is solving their problems.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Steady work. Internal clients great to work with.
Microcomputer/Network Technician II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 2, 2017
Review queue for hot tickets
Work standard desktop and Microsoft 7 - 10
Rebuild old Toughbooks and reimage or deploy new ones.
Transfer and backup profiles
Image new workstations and deploy
Pros
Great group of people to work with
Cons
No advancement
I would never go back to Drivers License Divison
Adminstrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 1, 2017
A typical is showing up fifteen minutes early to get setup calling the first customer that walks through the door to your desk and looking over there paper work and documentation a taking their picture. I learned how important it is at my job to only know how to do my job but the job of my supervisor also that way I could be an assets to my customers and my co workers. The management half the time I was being left in charge without any real management experience or training but trail and error is what I best at. The work culture was very much like high school people where always smiling in your face and then trying to get you fired the next. The hardest part of the job was waking up and going everyday for five years and dealing with a supervisor that didn't know how to do they're job or mine. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people everyday and joking with my cool coworkers.
My co-workers were great
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2017
I've learned patience, humbleness and becoming compassionate to everyone needs. I also learned everyone is different and with that they require different needs and engagement.
Patrol the highways of the state
State Trooper (Former Employee) –  Columbia ScFebruary 8, 2017
I worked 12 hour shifts enforcing the laws and policies of the state. I worked accidents at the scene to determine the cause and fault
Pros
work around different people
A good place to work.
Data Sys Coord, Help Desk, Comp Op II (Former Employee) –  1980 W. Broad St. Columbus, OhFebruary 5, 2017
The State of Ohio is good place to work. Good benefits and pay.
Opportunities for advancement.
Free parking, Security.
Productive work place
Administrative Technician II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2017
Dps is a great place to works for and it would be a more productive workplace with continual education in management, supervisory and IT positions.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
offer college courses to single parent
Professional
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 18, 2017
Fast passed and professional lots of room for learning and groth. I was super blessed to be a part of this team. I would have stayed and retired from here if i did not have to move home to Fl due to family. I worked with a wonderful group of friends and team players.
Pros
You learn and grow at a fast pace
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Public Safety. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval