Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews in United States

fun but stressful job at times during different situation.
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Browning, MTJune 23, 2016
Very intense job.
you have to be on point with everything that's being called in or radio in, to and from the people and police officers.
keep tract of everyone that's at work and make sure your work area is always safe.
Much potential.
Commander (Interim Chief) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 19, 2016
The company has the potential to be one of the best places to work. Given time and attention to management talent this company will make an ideal place to work.
A great establishment that helps you get ahead
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Black Mountain, NCJune 9, 2016
The staff consist of great devoted people who teaches you all that you need to know about the machines before you even get the chance to operate them, all while having an open mind to new ideas.
no review
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJune 1, 2016
you work 12 hour day's. have to work with prisoners. your able to get overtime. the pay is not bad. it's not a fun job. this is only a full time job.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Very Flexible positon, good compensation
Sergeant of Training/Campus Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 18, 2016
Great place to work. Highly recommended. I currently higher new employees as needed per one of my many job duties. Conduct and manage background investigations. Responsible for training requirements. Administrator position.
It's very different from what I'm use to
Correctional Food Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Troy, NCMay 10, 2016
It's not a bad place to work like most think it is. If you go in and do your work like you were trained to do it all work out just fine.
Pros
The offenders do all the cooking and serving
Cons
The meal prepared may not come out like it should
Department of Public Safety
Police Communications Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 17, 2016
I was a police communications operator. I handled the phones and radio simultaneously. I work on a daily basis with state troopers and crime investigation agents, as well as Texas Rangers to retrieve the information needed for a case or a traffic stop. I enjoyed this job very much, but could not handle the rotating shift work. My coworkers were amazing and we were more like a family. I miss that job dearly, but had to make this hard decision to leave for my family. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Rotating shift work
friends and family
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Saipan, MPApril 14, 2016
Saipan is an island where almost everybody know everyone. I was born and raise there.

Serving the people of Saipan, my home, was an honor.
A typical day
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 7, 2016
I would start a typical day going through a metal gates closing, knowing I would be on alert at all times. My hands would start to sweat, my heart was beating fast knowing at anytime I could struck by a person that was put behind bars. I was there to secure and watch to make sure everyone was okay each day. I used to work in adjustment hearings, traffic or would view inmate movement at all times.
Pros
Job security, benefits
Cons
Always on alert, scared, not where I want to be
Productive and stress fee enviroment
Information Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMarch 15, 2016
Good learning environent for the beginning IT proffesional. A lot of hands on training and opportunity to expand your IT career

Want to know more about Department of Public Safety?

Ask a question
really
State of Maryland Government, Office Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 28, 2016
I will never work there again. Management is so horrible. They let people get away with murder. They give positions away to people who don't deserve them. They let supervisors talk to people like they are children. they need to revamp the whole system and management needs to go back to school.
Structured Environment with Mental Challenges
Correctional Food Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Vanceboro, NCFebruary 27, 2016
Work was a standard 8 hour shift working every other weekend. Managers were professional and followed protocol according to the guidelines. I learned different work skill that allowed me to meet the needs of many people from a diverse background. I also learned how to manage a large group of people and maintain order along with the production of the company. The hardest part of this job was to deal with the stress that comes with working in a prison.
Pros
Great Benefits, Stability
Cons
Stressful work environment, Discrimination, Favoritism
Interesting Work
Parole &Probation officer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 20, 2016
militant environment, flexible work schedule
starting pay is $47,000 but 20% of income goes into PERS. Not enough pay for work.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Not enough compensation. 20% of income mandatory for PERS Retirement
Same job every day
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTFebruary 15, 2016
Before computers brought in. We had to complete by hand, a certain number of computer sheets by pencil. This showed the exact location of every accident in Connecticut. Very monotonous and boring. you were rated on how many you completed every hour.
Pros
Made great friends
Cons
Boring
It is hard to work here but still I get along with it, and it doesn't do anything bad.
Clerk Typist III (Current Employee) –  Division of Correction and RehabilitationJanuary 17, 2016
My job here is complicated sometimes but the salary is too low. I sometimes gets complaints from other employees but I still gets going on the way. I don't even care what complaints I get to hear, as long as I know that i did my works in a right way.
Stressful with little support from Management
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 15, 2015
The department has a lot of politics where management has little support for the staff and is constantly carrying grudges.
Detailed, fast paced, large call volume, heavy deadlines, attention to detail
Clerk IV - Administration Division (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2015
Typical day starts w entering cdl hazmat applications, answering phones from CDL drivers w questions on their application for hauling hazmat materials. Entering citations against CDL drivers records, pulling CDL drivers that have relocated to that state from their previous state of license and ensure that all information has been transferred properly. Pulling information from boxes or that is old from a database. Accuracy and speed was the goal each day.
Management was very strict in all areas, example, attendance, break and lunches, and answering phones.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the pay raises, where it took a literal act of congress in order to get funded. The training was trial and error. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was fast paced and different everyday.
Stable career with reliable staff.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, NCDecember 14, 2015
As a Correctional Officer, I am responsible for the safety and the lives of others. This responsibility is a joy of it's own.
Pros
12 hr work rotations
Cons
no COLA rasies
Fast Pace Environment
Warehouse Store Operator/Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Maury, NCNovember 19, 2015
Enjoyed working in the environment. Typical day consists of customer service ,sales, receiving, and distributing. Unloaded trucks with merchandise. Trained new store operators.
Pros
Meeting new people and helping them with their needs.
Cons
healthcare
Officers Scared of Inmates and let the inmates run the institution
CORRECTIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Burgaw, NCNovember 14, 2015
Totally different from the way Ohio handles there prisons, NC gives the inmates to much control and lets them do what ever they want
Pros
Enjoyed the people I worked around
Cons
supervisors where cowards and poor staffing/ under staffed