Department of Public Safety

Department of Public Safety Employee Reviews

It can be a career if you don't mind working in a prison.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Elizabeth city NCJune 20, 2015
Pros: Decent pay when you always work overtime or dont have any responsibilities.
Cons: YOu will be stuck occasionally, You will be called away from home.
It was alright and the inmates aren't always the problem. Occasionally you'll get stucjk over and they don't always work hard to get you out but it is a decent check and pretty fair benefits. A lot of times just hard to gauge what your check will look like after a month of said forced overtime. This job is really just mentally stressful.
Cannot get a feel of camaraderie
Criminal Information Tech II (Current Employee), Taylorsville, UTMay 22, 2015
Pros: days, weekends off
Cannot get a feel of camaraderie. Most everyone emits the feeling of "please make this day end". I don't think they are in the mindset for change. If you have a complaint about another employee... it goes nowhere.
Mangament was well structured
Student Officer (Former Employee), Flint, MIMay 20, 2015
Pros: Flexible about school hours
Management was very flexible and allowed me to work in between my classes. I was allowed to submit my own hours to work so that my job wouldn't interfere with school. On some days, you would sit at a desk and answer people questions, but there was a lot of time to get homework or studying done.
You have to have a strong mind to work here
Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 9, 2015
Pros: Work is simple once you catch on
Cons: You are not in one job and there are several codes per week exspecially in the summer
The job is not a bad job. It is you are not in the same place. I have worked there for 4 years and on any given days you are in a different post, You may be moved up to three times in one day. Management is not so cooperative. plus you have to remember you are working with Offenders so you have to make sure you have no kind of contact or talk about anything that is not related to their care.
Flexible and fun workplace
Administrative Program Specialist B (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: job security, flexibility
Cons: no advancement opportunties
My typical day consists of supervising employees and administrative support. I really enjoy the daily supervision that I provide and assisting the clients whenever my employees need my help. I enjoy working with the people in this office. And I truly value the flexibilty this office allows. The hardest part of the job is monotny and the realization that there was little to no room for advancement. I'm really looking for professional growth.
productive learning enviroment
programs (Current Employee), north carolinaFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: very informative about policy
my day at work is communiting with inmates. i have to meet a deadline on my bimonthly contacts and initial contacts with inmates that first come into facility three day deadline.
Hard Work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 25, 2015
Great job to work at. The hardest part about working in the kitchen is being on your feet all day.
productive and fun work enviornment
Intern (Former Employee), pittsburgh, paJanuary 18, 2015
learned a lot about local city government; got to see and learn about the citizen's involvement in keepin their city safe; worked under mayor
The job is good if you are working with the right people.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Tillery, NCJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: learning from co-workers
Cons: working 12 hrs and not being home with my family at night
A typical day at work would maintaining the peace, preventing fights, and enjoying my co-workers.I learn how to be patience. I basically management over 280 inmates. My co-workers was a great team. You pray for people like that in a work place. The hardest part of my job were the hours you work. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming in with your co-workers and leaving out with the same.
It was a good job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 11, 2014
The co workers there were very funny and easy to get along with there. The days could be slow or not slow enough. The customers most of the time were nice and easy to get along with there. I was there when you had to speed to get food out on time. I cook some of the products and dealt with food a lot.
Stressful at times but overall a good job
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Lincolnton, NCDecember 7, 2014
Pros: days off, paid comp days, insurance, earned sick time, earned vacation time, 13 paid holidays
Cons: 12.25 hour shifts, lots of standing, some co workers will give you more trouble than the inmates
Not a bad job at all. Has it's good and bad days. You only work two weeks a month and your off two weeks a month. You earn sick time and compensation time every pay period. You get paid holidays. It's a long 12.25 hour day on concrete dealing with all types of personalities and attitudes.
Great palce to work
Probation Parole Officer (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVOctober 24, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits time off
Cons: larger case loads
Employment offers great pay, and great benefits....can transfer to other departments to gain experience
Campus Police Officer and Assistant Supervisor/ Student Assistant
Student Patrol Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2014
I learned my experienced as campus police officer and learned my experienced to deal with people on campus for safety reason.
Correctional Officer
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Wilmington, NCSeptember 22, 2014
I enjoy working for the general public providing safety and security, but I want to work in a more positive environment. I like working as a team with my fellow officer for a common goal.
Good Company to work for.
Wheelage Tax Specialist (Former Employee), St. PaulSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: flexable
Cons: job was a temp job
Great Company to work for: Teamwork,outgoing people. very flexible with work schedule.
PRODUCTIVE WORK PLACE
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Current Employee), Lillington, NCAugust 11, 2014
WORKED WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY FOR 8 YEARS. NOT MUCH ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT UNLESS SOMEONE RETIRES. SO IM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT. WILLING TO LEARN A DIFFERENT WAY OF LIFE
Issue driver's license and vehicle registrations
Motor Vehicle Compliance Analyst (Current Employee), Metairie, LAAugust 7, 2014
Long hours working with the public. Under staff. I have been in the management aspect at this job. Working my way up. Hours many days 7:45am to 6:30pm.
Great job for the right person.
Alabama State Trooper (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 4, 2014
Pros: good salary, drive home vehicle.
Cons: none really
Most enjoyable part of the job was helping others. I learned this job is not for everyone, but I enjoyed the experience just the same.
Productive and fun place to work
Material Management Officer (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJune 25, 2014
Pros: great work place, hours where great
Busy everyday making sure to meet the needs of all divisions with supplies or purchasing products
Learned every aspect of purchasing products in large amount for the State of Oklahoma
Its a difficult place to work, not for everyone, but can be done
Correction Officer (Former Employee), Elizabeth City, NCJune 17, 2014
Tough mentally and physically
Management is ok
co-workers can make or break your work experience

1 2 3 4 5