Department of Sanitation Employee Reviews

very fast work pace
Snow Removal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2016
I wasn't comfortable at first but then I got the hang of it an it taught me cleaning skills. it taught me how to work in a fast an crowed environment.
Pros
small work cites
Cons
take to long to start
Productive and fast-paced
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2016
A typical day will either leave you with memorable instances or loads of paperwork it all depends on how you handle the art of multi-tasking.
Pros
Bonding with great people
Cons
Not enough benefits to accommodate a source of living
productive
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 9, 2016
The hardest part about this job was learning how to deal with different people.my coworkers was great always helping each other out but overall i enjoyed my experience with the department of sanitation.
Entry-Level Dream
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2016
It is probably the best company to work for especially if you are an entry-level Administrator. They are very eager to see you succeed and will assign you tasks to help you obtain the proper skills for advancement. Very warm and welcoming enviornment when you are learning the basics of an office enviornment.
This was a productive experience
Summer Intern - Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 2, 2016
Certainly a wake up call! First real, office job - the hours were rough, waking up at 4AM to be a functional person. I really got comfortable operating Excel, being as I used it every day to produce a report of all parts ordered, received, and requested.The people were very friendly in my department, very willing to help me out! Overall a great experience.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Tough waking up at 4AM to commute to Queens at
morning cleaning and mopingof hallways bathroom andrestrooms learnto organize my routne hardest part 2hour travel butwokers wereenjoyable.
janitor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2015
loved my job at dept. Of sanitation travel was long but I enjoyed working there and the employees were helpful. My supervisor trusted and respectd my work with no hands on supervision I honered that.
Learning experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 30, 2015
Busy workplace, learned new skills. Friendly office staff & other staff as well. Cool management staff. Supportive & stressful environment. Great work experience
Pros
hour lunch, early days
Cons
the smell
Very enjoyable Experience
Secretary to Unit Head (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 21, 2015
Throughout the days that I worked I would be going around to the different Department of Sanitation offices and scanning computers, phones, and monitors in order to take inventory. We went around all of the different borough offices doing this by scanning serial numbers and Department of Sanitation Barcodes. I learned a lot about the inner workings of the Department of Sanitation as well as getting hands on disassembling computers by taking out the Hard Drives and RAM. The entire job experience was very enjoyable and would work for them again.
A goood experience
Automotive Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 16, 2015
Everyday i would go into work, change into my coveralls and go check all the vehicles. I would do a PDI on all vehicles to make sure there good and nothings wrong with it.
Pros
good experience
Stressful workplace
Snow Removal (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 5, 2015
It was stressful because the co-workers were disrespectful and on top of that many people in positions of power were not giving us the tools that we needed to get the job done.
Fun Workplace
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 7, 2015
A good job with friendly co workers who love working as a team. It is not a easy job but I always remember anything is possible
nice people good work place
Sanitation Worker { supervisor{ (Former Employee) –  New York, NY brooklynNovember 20, 2014
Imade a lot of new friends. I had a steady crew i worked with every day. we got along well, this made worka lot easear. we helped each other out at times when some one was going through a hard time.
Pros
great benifits unlimted sick time
Cons
worked out in all kinds of weather
Average
LABORER (SEASONAL) (Former Employee) –  10502 Avenue DNovember 18, 2014
A typical day of work was nothing out the ordinary. Shoveling snow and breaking down ice.
very bad people skills
Internship (Former Employee) –  213wes215thJuly 25, 2014
I did not like working there because they do not vare about thir workers at all secretary has a very bad attitude so does thesupervisor
Pros
N/a
Cons
very bad people skills
fun place to work
Seasonal Snow Laborer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2014
great place to work, just alot of walking... but its hands on
I learn something new every day.
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2014
This is a very demanding job with lots of great people. I assert myself each and every day, and I enjoy my job very much.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Paid breaks
Being a Civil Servant
Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2013
Meeting new people on a daily basis. I learned many skills within the sanitation field. Environment Friendly. Co-workers are hard working and are team players. The hardest part of my job are my irregular hours. The most enjoyable part of my job is the great benefit package.
busy workplace with rewarding work experience
Clerk (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 20, 2013
A typical day at this work place consisted of heavy data entry, answering telephones and assisting the community with their sanitation concerns. There was an authoritarian style management. I was fortunate to have responsible co-workers. While this work place is face paced and had many dead lines that needed to be met, I enjoyed enhancing my clerical skills and assisting this organization with achieving its goals.
Pros
rewarding work experience
exciting
custodial (Former Employee) –  Douglaston, NYJanuary 28, 2013
A typical day at work is when all your co-workers get together and just talking with each other i learned that no matter where you work at it will you that experience that you need or desire for. The management is very excellent and that they know their job very well and i learned something just by them showing me what to do. my co-workers are fun to be around and i enjoy their company. The hardest part of the job is when the sanitation workers are coming in for their lunch and i have to hurry up and do that men's locker rooms and the most enjoyable part of the job is talking with the workers.
Pros
order lunches with the workers
Cons
the men dirtying up the floors so i had to do them again.
Productive workplace
College Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2013
This was a very simple job dealing with different sanitation workers everyday. Giving the proper files to the doctors and assigning the patient with his or her doctor. Filing reports and scanning charts would be the remaining work that was done for the rest of the day. My co workers were nice easy to get along with while everybody had their own tasks.
Pros
1 hour lunch, a set schedule was always great!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Sanitation. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2