Department of Sanitation

Department of Sanitation Employee Reviews

Very enjoyable Experience
Secretary to Unit Head (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYJune 21, 2015
Throughout the days that I worked I would be going around to the different Department of Sanitation offices and scanning computers, phones, and monitors in order to take inventory. We went around all of the different borough offices doing this by scanning serial numbers and Department of Sanitation Barcodes. I learned a lot about the inner workings of the Department of Sanitation as well as getting hands on disassembling computers by taking out the Hard Drives and RAM. The entire job experience was very enjoyable and would work for them again.
A goood experience
Automotive Technician Assistant (Former Employee), Queens, NYJune 16, 2015
Pros: good experience
Everyday i would go into work, change into my coveralls and go check all the vehicles. I would do a PDI on all vehicles to make sure there good and nothings wrong with it.
Stressful workplace
Snow Removal (Former Employee), Bronx, NYApril 5, 2015
It was stressful because the co-workers were disrespectful and on top of that many people in positions of power were not giving us the tools that we needed to get the job done.
Fun Workplace
Laborer (Current Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 7, 2015
A good job with friendly co workers who love working as a team. It is not a easy job but I always remember anything is possible
nice people good work place
Sanitation Worker { supervisor{ (Former Employee), New York, NY brooklynNovember 20, 2014
Pros: great benifits unlimted sick time
Cons: worked out in all kinds of weather
Imade a lot of new friends. I had a steady crew i worked with every day. we got along well, this made worka lot easear. we helped each other out at times when some one was going through a hard time.
Average
LABORER (SEASONAL) (Former Employee), 10502 Avenue DNovember 18, 2014
A typical day of work was nothing out the ordinary. Shoveling snow and breaking down ice.
very bad people skills
Internship (Former Employee), 213wes215thJuly 25, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: very bad people skills
I did not like working there because they do not vare about thir workers at all secretary has a very bad attitude so does thesupervisor
fun place to work
Seasonal Snow Laborer (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 10, 2014
great place to work, just alot of walking... but its hands on
I learn something new every day.
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 6, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: paid breaks
This is a very demanding job with lots of great people. I assert myself each and every day, and I enjoy my job very much.
Being a Civil Servant
Enforcement Agent (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 7, 2013
Meeting new people on a daily basis. I learned many skills within the sanitation field. Environment Friendly. Co-workers are hard working and are team players. The hardest part of my job are my irregular hours. The most enjoyable part of my job is the great benefit package.
busy workplace with rewarding work experience
Clerk (Internship) (Former Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 20, 2013
Pros: rewarding work experience
A typical day at this work place consisted of heavy data entry, answering telephones and assisting the community with their sanitation concerns. There was an authoritarian style management. I was fortunate to have responsible co-workers. While this work place is face paced and had many dead lines that needed to be met, I enjoyed enhancing my clerical skills and assisting this organization with achieving its goals.
exciting
custodial (Former Employee), Douglaston, NYJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: order lunches with the workers
Cons: the men dirtying up the floors so i had to do them again.
A typical day at work is when all your co-workers get together and just talking with each other i learned that no matter where you work at it will you that experience that you need or desire for. The management is very excellent and that they know their job very well and i learned something just by them showing me what to do. my co-workers are fun to be around and i enjoy their company. The hardest part of the job is when the sanitation workers are coming in for their lunch and i have to hurry up and do that men's locker rooms and the most enjoyable part of the job is talking with the workers.
Productive workplace
College Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: 1 hour lunch, a set schedule was always great!
This was a very simple job dealing with different sanitation workers everyday. Giving the proper files to the doctors and assigning the patient with his or her doctor. Filing reports and scanning charts would be the remaining work that was done for the rest of the day. My co workers were nice easy to get along with while everybody had their own tasks.
Working for the City of New York's Sanitation Department
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 18, 2012
Pros: working outdoors, free equipment training, great pay and benefits
Cons: working outdoors, snow hours are demanding
There are many different facets to the Department of Sanitation of New York City. There's the typical refuse cleaning and collection, which is the most visible and identifiable part of our job. It also happens to be the most physically daunting. But what surprised me the most was the variety of choices workers can make that fit their lives: there are transfers available, day/night shift preferences, and locking into responsibilities with specific pieces of equipment. Coworkers and management are like any other job; mostly good and some bad. All workers are qualified CDL Class B drivers, and further training on heavy equipment, including Class A towing, is available at the Department's training facility. The job is physically demanding, but is simple to understand and mentally stress free.
productive and fun work place
Assisting supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 22, 2012
Sanitation is a great place to jump start your career especially for beginning college students
Challenging and rewarding work environment.
Computer Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2012
Working for Department of Sanitation has to be one of the most challenging and rewarding job that I have ever worked at. I have learned so much which basicially improved my skills and communications skills. I became a better worker and team player at this job.
The hardest part about that job is the people I worked with. They all had different backgrounds and it was challenging at first to understand our motives and languages but once we all figured it out we learned to work well together as a team. :)
temp position
Sanitation Team Member (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 21, 2012
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
enjoyed working with sanitation. Learned a lot. Great staff and management.

Department of Sanitation Salaries