Department of Sanitation Employee Reviews

great work place
College Aide (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 3, 2017
working here is not just a work place, but also like family. everyone watches out for each-other when it comes to work, no body works alone we work as a team.
City government
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2017
city government environment, do the job and don't ask questions. Job is better suited for those ready for retirement and not for entry level new grads.
benefits
Physical Labor.
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 21, 2017
It was a seasonal job. Required to shovel snow in neighborhood. Hard part was shoveling snow and picking ice. Enjoyable part was the physical experience.
What I learned
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2017
I learned to work with others. Helping each other on a daily basis to get things done correctly in a timely order. I've learned to have patience with others on how they work.
Unprofessional
Clerical Aide (Former Employee) –  59 Maiden Lane, 5th floor, NYc, NY 10038October 16, 2017
Handling phones, input accident data, end of day reports, input collection data.

Inner workings of NYC dept of Sanitation

Management is another world compared to other NYC agencies.

Uniformed Sanitation Workers are favored over civilian workers

traveling to different garages everyday and different work hours everyday.

Every six weeks is a three-day weekend.
Pros
3 day weekends every 6 weeks
Cons
Unprofessionalism
A great place to work at
Job Trainee (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 12, 2017
Great and fun good pay good worker's to see every day
And its always a place people would love to work at.
the department of sanitation is a friendly environment, with a great staff, which makes there workers very comfortable. they are lovely people. typical day at work is clearing the big pile of snow from the bus stops.
Decent job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 12, 2017
It was a temp job for me, so no benefits. It's was a relaxed atmosphere, I worked in the office. They gave me work to complete and left me to it. I answered phones, sent faxes and other office duties.
Pros
Able to work at your own pace
Cons
Temp job, the smell
Everyone was respectful and we got along good.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 10, 2017
A steady paced work enviorment where everyone got along with each other. The management was good they if there was any problems nothing was hard.Pizza
Productive and fun workplace
Automotive Technician intership (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 8, 2017
At this internship I learned how to replace windshield wipers, how to repair staff carts from scratch, and how to diagnose car failure and with a computer.
Relaxed and productive
College Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2017
Typical work day includes walking in having breakfast, picking up and distributing the mail. The rest of the day consists of answering calls, handling the boss' calendar, and emailing regular memos. As a college aide I have gained extensive experience with data entry and management. It has helped improved my organizational skills as well as my interpersonal skills. The workplace is very welcoming and the office staff is very easy going.
Pros
flexible hours
Job Training Participant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2017
great working experience, great place to start a career, worked great with all co workers, love working in NY Sanitation
it was a good experience. i enjoy working with people.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
I answered phone took messages and directed calls also assisted on daily activities. I interacted with the employees by writing the board of where everyone working at today. i also kept the kitchen clean.
Productive work assignments
Snow Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day at work consists of snow and ice removal from fire hydrants, city bus stops, trash can areas, street corners and crosswalks. I've learned to work in a group to complete tasks given to us. Management trusts that the employees will complete the assignments given. The most hardest part of the job is breaking and removing the ice from the assigned areas.
Pros
lunch break, management's trust in employees
refuse / Snow removal-Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  650 west 57 streetDecember 9, 2016
very fast work pace
Snow Removal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2016
I wasn't comfortable at first but then I got the hang of it an it taught me cleaning skills. it taught me how to work in a fast an crowed environment.
Pros
small work cites
Cons
take to long to start
Productive and fast-paced
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2016
A typical day will either leave you with memorable instances or loads of paperwork it all depends on how you handle the art of multi-tasking.
Pros
Bonding with great people
Cons
Not enough benefits to accommodate a source of living
productive
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 9, 2016
The hardest part about this job was learning how to deal with different people.my coworkers was great always helping each other out but overall i enjoyed my experience with the department of sanitation.
Entry-Level Dream
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2016
It is probably the best company to work for especially if you are an entry-level Administrator. They are very eager to see you succeed and will assign you tasks to help you obtain the proper skills for advancement. Very warm and welcoming enviornment when you are learning the basics of an office enviornment.
This was a productive experience
Summer Intern - Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJanuary 2, 2016
Certainly a wake up call! First real, office job - the hours were rough, waking up at 4AM to be a functional person. I really got comfortable operating Excel, being as I used it every day to produce a report of all parts ordered, received, and requested.The people were very friendly in my department, very willing to help me out! Overall a great experience.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Tough waking up at 4AM to commute to Queens at
morning cleaning and mopingof hallways bathroom andrestrooms learnto organize my routne hardest part 2hour travel butwokers wereenjoyable.
janitor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2015
loved my job at dept. Of sanitation travel was long but I enjoyed working there and the employees were helpful. My supervisor trusted and respectd my work with no hands on supervision I honered that.