Department of Social Services

Department of Social Services Employer Reviews

Challenging yet exciting work environment
Community Resource Specialist (Current Employee), Landover, MDDecember 18, 2014
• Identifies and assesses academic problems through analysis of factors impinging on student adjustment including factors in the home, school, and community.
• Serves as a liaison between families and Social Services/Community Based Organizations by linking families to essential resources, to prevent learning barriers to youth
• Participates as members – more... of the Instructional Educational Plan, Student Instructional Team, and other school based teams to develop interventions for promoting students’ academic success.
• Conducts home visits related to establishing communication and positive connections between the parent/guardian and school setting around identified issues.
• Provide holistic and comprehensive case management services to all clients including: intake assessment, benefit assessment, goal setting, long-term care plan development, weekly case plan development, progress monitoring ,individual money management, tenant education, advocacy and referrals – less
Department of Social Servies
MiS Specialist (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 13, 2014
Pros: learning how to work with people in difficult situations
Cons: any bad outcome of a child
Calling Foster parents that left messages to help with any problems, meet with social workers and review their cases and progress, supervise any parent-child visitation when necessary.
Understanding the different cultures of people
very dedicated and hard working people
Having to deal with the death of a child
The bond with everyone that worked with – more... DSS
handling all computer problems for the Boston Region – less
Providing assistance to the community
Income Maintenance Caseworker II/Interpreter (Former Employee), Elizabethtown, NCDecember 4, 2014
Pros: resources available to the community
Cons: new implemented system
Assisting walk-in customers with programs applications and reviews.
I learned the many resources that the agency can provide to the community to help and assist.
Management always there to help with any issues.
Co-workers became team-players.
The hardest part job was new implemented state system.
I enjoyed being able to provide our customers with help – more... and assist with their household needs. – less
Quiet
Clerk (Former Employee), Landover, MdDecember 1, 2014
It was a very busy work environment . Everyone there was very professional and kind also .
Handling contracts
Accountant Manager/Contract Monitoring (Current Employee), Columbia SCNovember 21, 2014
A typical day is handling contracts and doing RFP, Scope of Work for different contracts.
Busy environment
Eligibility Worker II (Former Employee), Salinas CANovember 19, 2014
Pros: employment
Department of social services is a place that one may want to work if they are completely satisfied and happy with ones self as there are many homeless individuals and many with no or low income to survive off of. It is a job that keeps going at a high speed daily, there are deadlines that must be met and benefits that must be placed on the customers – more... cards timely, if you don't mind being yelled at every now and again by angry customers this is the position for you. Management could use a little assistance as they are sometimes deceiving when it comes to telling the truth about a situation. the hardest part of the job was turning someone down whos income was over just by a couple of dollars. the most enjoyable part of the job was making people who don't have much feel as if they have what they need to survive. – less
very productive
Office Assistant (Former Employee), MDNovember 13, 2014
Clean and caring workplace. The management was great. I enjoyed working there.
Avery productive place to work!
Volunteer (Current Employee), Hampton, VANovember 13, 2014
Great opportunties for knowledge,growth within the company.
Employees are very motivating and always encouraging.
the hardest part of my job is knowing my volunteer supervisor has done she could to help and she has to turn them away.
The most enjoyable part of my day is the ones we can help, the smiles on their face is why I love volunteering!
Very busy office enviroment
Medicaid Income Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Tarboro, NCOctober 31, 2014
Pros: one hour for lunch
Cons: never had time for breaks job was to detailed but enjoyed it.
A typical day at work was mailing out information, faxing, scanning in information on a daily basis. Answering phone calls and setting up appointments for reviews for different clients. Keying in information to keep Medicaid active. Attending meetings at any given time with little to no advance warning. Had to be very organized to do this job.
Co-workers – more... were great had no problems.
The hardest part about this job was once you sent out information for verifying it would take forever to get results back to meet the deadline. – less
intense interactions with the public daily
Social Worker/In-Home Supportive Services (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: helping others
Cons: computer glitches
life and death decisions in some cases
professionalism
quick responses
Fun place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Herkimer, NYOctober 24, 2014
Pros: being around alot of people.
Cons: sitting alot
My co-workers were very helpful to me, I learn alot of new things every day.
learned a lot from this job
File Clerk (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 17, 2014
Pros: the employeees
Cons: volunteer work
i was only here to learn the skills they was teachning me it was a volunteer job didnt get paid it was just to build up my skills
Internship for college
Health Department (Former Employee), Towson, MDOctober 7, 2014
Pros: learning to graduate college
Cons: to provide service in hiv clinics was good
My experience in the health department was great. My internship experience was a great learning experience and the management was good.
Heavy caseload lots of overtime
Case Manager (Former Employee), Pasquotank, NCOctober 3, 2014
Pros: helping those in need
Cons: under-staffed, heavy workload with low compensation
I really enjoyed helping those in need by screening and providing services. The department was under-staffed so the case load was very heavy. This job is not for everyone.
Easy
Intern file clerk (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 29, 2014
Easy to do also fun to work in a professional environment. Co-workers were generous and its a great location.
Greatest Job Ever
Social Worker (Former Employee), Wise, VASeptember 26, 2014
Anyone that has ever been a social worker knows the stress levels that come with this job. I must say thought that during my time at this position, I felt I was in my element.
I always wanted to be a social worker so maybe this is why I feel so passionate and positive. The co-workers are wonderful, they are truly the only ones that know what kind of – more... stress and heartache you feel and can make the day easier with friendship and laughter.
The paperwork is very easy to learn.
Of course, there is always red tape when dealing with situations and sometimes this is frustrating when all you want to do is help people - but it is a learning process of what to do.
I would go back to doing this job in a heartbeat! – less
Department of Social Services
Clerical Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 22, 2014
A typical day at work is fast path some times slow.
I learned more about filling and phone services. The management and my co-workers are great, very good personalities. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude & disrespectful customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co-workers I really enjoying them and learning different – more... technics and skills everyday. – less
Very interesting place to work
Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee), Florence, SCSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: i love to help people.
Cons: getting off everyday after 5:00
The DSS is a very high paced job. I have to multitask. I work and deal with all aspects of Social Services involving Food stamp,Family independency, Child an Adult protective services. I receive and Register all applications and Recertification forms to be processed. I also help customers complete applications when I am asked to. My coworkers and I – more... support each other and have each others back. It is hard for me at times to hear all the complaints about DSS. I know we are not perfect, but who is? At he end of the day we do our very best with the manpower we have to help individuals in need. – less
A good government enterprise
Case Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore CitySeptember 21, 2014
I enjoyed helping the needy and the desperate population in my state.
One of my most rewarding positions thus far
Financial Case Manager Huther Doyle (Former Employee), Rochester, NYSeptember 19, 2014
Helping others gave me a great sense of accomplishment in this position.

1 2 3 4 5