Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

I enjoy helping people.
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2016
It was an okay place to work, but it could be a very stressful work environment, especially when some people felt they were entitled to the benefits and I had to informed them they were eligible.
Cons
Working with others that fail to do their job for our clients.
Flexiablity
Protective Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2016
The work environment is friendly and stress free. The client population is middle aged.

Field work is involved.
All reports are completed electronically.
Pros
breaks
benefits
Opportunity to meet new people.
Economic Services Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 3, 2016
Pulled files for case workers for their appointments. Learned the program they used to send letters. Enjoyed helping them out.
Pros
Different tasks
Cons
Smoking
Part-Time job
INTERPRETER (Former Employee) –  Washington, NCJuly 17, 2016
worked there for a few months. Didn't see my manager much. The job culture is not one that I would enjoy working in for a long time.
Child Support Unit
Case Filing, Receptionist, Office Duties (Former Employee) –  Tarboro, NCJuly 5, 2016
I enjoyed the job and the experience that it provided me to gain. Had the opportunity to experience a small office setting and also prep for court session.
Pros
Some Fridays Off
Cons
Not enough Pay
Enjoyable place to work
Program Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 28, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my job duties and my co workers were amazing. Everyone helped me get adjusted to the area. The management team was also helpful and gave me a chance to learn something new.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Weekly travel
Working hard for there clients
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, SCApril 21, 2016
Help client fill out there application if they needed help and making sure that the application was fill out completely. Answer the phone to help client with the question and copy information that the case worker was needing, Call case working to let them know a client was out there to see them, make appointment for the client to see a case worker.
n/a
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madera, CAApril 19, 2016
it was a great stepping stone for the skills that I needed to be able to find a full time position. I liked the setting as well.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, SCMarch 24, 2016
The participants adults were given brochure about child abuse and neglect. Other vendors participated and distributed brochures and information from their agencies.
My colleagues and I had children to participate in the games we setup and receive gifts, toys, candy, balloons when they won the game. Each vendor had games and gifts for the children. Law Enforcement was on site as well as fire fighters. The hardest part of the job was the keeping the game ready for play. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the parents and children have so much fun.
Pros
all of the food, toys, gifts and drinks were free to the public
Cons
Only held once a year
Fun place to work the management is very supportive
Heap Program Clerical (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYMarch 23, 2016
Communicate with customers, employees, and other individuals to answer questions, disseminate or explain information, intake paperwork and troubleshoot client problems
Compile, copy, sort, and file records of office/business activities
Operate office machines, such as photocopiers, fax machines, personal computers
Fluent in WMS database
Complete and enter data into online database
Pros
All staff is willing to help and give our clients a positive experience
Cons
Temp job
Department of Social Services
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMarch 18, 2016
Provide personal care to my disabled ailing father.
Correspond with the doctors as well as supervise senior safe activities. Administer medication and provide daily nutrition according to dietary requirements
DSS is a wonderful place to work
Administrative Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCFebruary 17, 2016
The learning experience that I obtained while working a department of social services was great. I love working with everyone and the training that I gained was helpful throughout my career.
Pros
good work experience
Cons
Short-term job
very fun job
Social Service Tracker (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, MOJanuary 25, 2016
I would help kids re-enter the community after being in detention. I would take them job hunting and take them to drug and alcohol recovery meetings. The hardest part of this job was seeing kids relapse on drugs and sometime lose their life. I enjoyed the quality time with the kids.
it was a temporary job i loved the employees
contract worker for food and nutrition services (Former Employee) –  Albemarle, NCJanuary 6, 2016
the employees were amazing I loved working there.my job was temporary and when my position ended there were no positions available for me to apply for.
productive, interesting, never boring
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCDecember 22, 2015
helping clients with financial, housing, and other resources, with the support of co-workers if needed. The most satisfying and enjoyable part of the job is being able to others
Pros
working independently
Cons
temporary
Productive and informative work place
Foster Care Family Service Worker (provisional) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 10, 2015
Department of Social services is a productive and informative place of business. This job is ideal if you enjoy working with families in a fast pace environment and you are comfortable with tight deadlines.
Pros
Informative
Cons
Deadlines
Nice people to work with
laborer (Former Employee) –  Rome, NYNovember 25, 2015
I would find missing cases, file paperwork distroy personal information. I learned how to work well with others. The people I worked with were very nice.
Lack of excitement
Public Service Placement Worker (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 24, 2015
Although this was a volunteer opportunity, the overall lack of enthusiasm was vividly shown throughout the work day. Often times, observing some of the workers interacting with clients was unprofessional.
Pros
Gaining work experience
Cons
Lack of excitement
Working with Youth
Social Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 23, 2015
Focuses on integrating youth with offenses back into their community
Introduces youth to productive forms of life (i.e., continuing education, jobs, caring for family)
Moving On.....
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 21, 2015
As a Clerk at Social Services you sit in a corner isolated with either very menial tasks or nothing at all. So many days I would come into work and take big stacks of manila folders and white labels and spend hours covering the names of old clients on folders. This is something that should take a half hour of a day, not several. I would constantly have to go around to workers who had work and ask if they had envelopes that needed to be stamped or folders to be filed. Obviously things they could do themselves. On top of that, the co-workers are abusive and constantly meddle into your private affairs. They are obsessed with money and with what people have and don't have to the point they do it to each other. Co-workers would ask me if I had extra sources of income if I brought in a take out coffee or would ask who buys the food in my house. Definitely not a healthy workplace.

Department of Social Services Reviews by Location