Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

I work at a fast pace Social Service office
CASE WORKER (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: Need salary increase
I like working at the Department of Social Services because I am able to interact with various clients with diverse backgrounds.
A great place to work for the mission was one of assisting clients to access benefits.
Word Processor (Former Employee), Kannapolis, NCAugust 27, 2015
Pros: being able to be part of an agency that actually improves the life of others, good benefits
Cons: no cons -- it was a pleasant experience.
I was one of 6 persons assigned to word processing duties, typing notes in case files and any correspondence needed. We worked for various social workers in the agency. I like to work where one feels like the mission is helping people, not just an agency that is all about monetary profit as in private industry. I like people.
VR Tech Alternative High School Principal
VR Tech Alternative High School Director (Former Employee), Holland, MIAugust 25, 2015
Pros: Making a difference in the lives of people.
Cons: High stress and little money or support to make more desired changes and desired level of impact
A Typical Day:

I would arrive at 7:00 a.m. and walk the school to make sure everything was as it should be, turning on lights, opening the gym, checking computer systems, and security. At 7:10, I would lay out my agenda of the day, sending out necessary emails. Beginning at 7:20, staff would begin arriving, and I would greet and meet with them about various needs and requests, including evaluation meetings, student/parent meeting, academic needs, and other aspects of school life. Students began entering the building at 7:30, so I would greet them and supervise breakfast.

At 7:45, I would move all students to their classrooms, and supervise hallways, meet with parents coming in about concerns, schedule student's who needed to meet with me. At 8:00 a.m., I would do announcements and the pledge.

From 8:10 on the days varied. I would have parent, staff, student, and administrative meetings. I would attend IEP, Special Education Meetings on students, meet with court officials and probation officers, health department, etc. to meet student needs. At 10:00 there would be a student break, and I would supervise basketball in the gym. Meetings and classroom visits occurred all day long, moving quickly form one meeting to another, and walking the halls during any breaks, observing classrooms, and helping individual students when I actually had a break or calling parents, truancy, and community services.

At 11:00, I would lead student leadership meetings and bring in community resources to meet with students. 11:45 to 12:15 included serving lunch as a server and then – more... supervising lunch and the gym.

I would monitor halls, deal with discipline issues, and get everyone in class immediately after lunch, and continue with meetings. From 12:45 to 1:15, I always dealt with truancy issues and meetings. The end of the day at 3:40 included monitoring the student boarding of buses and pick-up. There was a huge problem with security and gang activity, so I and police would post out at various corners to prevent problems.

At 3:45, administrator meetings would begin. I would also get basketball or sports practices going, conduct teacher training. These meetings often continued until 5:30 p.m. and many times later. On sports nights, I had to drive students in vans to the sporting events, run the scoreboard and set up the gym myself, and bus students home, staying until the last one was picked up. I would get home often at 10:00 p.m., answer emails, make a list of what needed to be done the next day, and drop in bed at 11:00-12:00 p.m. to do it all again the next day.

The alternative education high school had 210 students, only 5 teachers, 4 assistants, and part-time social worker and counselor. The supports for students I built in through connections I made with churches, businesses, organizations, and counseling/ law enforcement.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of understanding and support from the superintendent level. They knew we were required to accept the most challenging 210 students in all of west Michigan, but expected high graduation rates, no discipline or legal concerns from students, no violence, and would discipline the administrator for anything occurring. We were completely understaffed, and had higher requirements than the high school, yet working with students that the high school sent to our building. Our supports were created by our hard work and networking.

When successes occurred, the district claimed them, and then financially took more resources from us. When struggles occurred, my staff and I were severely reprimanded. Due to the struggles with the gangs, types of struggles students came to us with, we had to deal with drugs, alcohol, weapons, violence, fighting, and many academic and psychological concerns with students. We did not have police on site, so I ended up taking many weapons, physically stopping and de-escalating fights, calling 911, etc. It was a very dangerous job, and I took scary weapons, took great physical risks to keep my students and staff safe in this very challenging environment, while trying to keep a focus on academic gains, interventions, and improving test scores.

The most rewarding part, was succeeding against all odds with the students, the strong relationships that were built with staff, students, parents, and all the wonderful community partners!!!! – less
Very good Services
Scanned documents in different Programs (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDAugust 24, 2015
Pros: For Some workers it may be motivation. For me not important .
Cons: Short breaks are good but it must be limited
Any typical day at work is enjoyable I learned at work to be ,Sociable ,Cooperative, helpers ,and to assisted Customers at work.
Management is the Key to the Company, the rise or the fall of any Company is measured by its managements. In my Understand the management must know workers Capability and willing to work and eager to learn

In my experience every workers must have job descriptions that Showed the workers, his Duties, Responsibilities and Accountabilities. these are Very Important. It gives directions and Values to their Jobs

Cooperation's with Co-workers are important, we Should have to develop team works to have quality Services

Cooperation's with workers based on regulations to assist the Customers are Obligatory. Our Customers are Our Kings.

The hardest part of the job is to get the right man powers for the right positions. 2.Communications with right workers without the 3rd person

By the nature all jobs are enjoyable, if you have 1. experience. 2. If you have 2.directions .3. if you get Training. 4. If you have good leader
Able to work in a professional quaint environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Yonkers, NYAugust 24, 2015
How to work in an office environment and learn more clerical skills which i greatly enjoyed doing and work on many filing projects
Developmental Challenging
Child Care Provider (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Watching the child learn and grow
Cons: N/A
It was definitely a fun challenge dealing with different ages of children. I learned how to handle development issues with children. I am highly skilled in performing various activities such as; feeding, changing diapers, and learning activities. The experience was wonderful and exciting completing tasks with the children.
excellent job
Childcare/Babysitter (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYAugust 13, 2015
Pros: learned a lot of great skills
Cons: no cons to this job
Caring for children is a job i love. I have always had a passion for taking care of peopple and with children it was great. I learned so much from them as i helped them grow and learn.
I was very honored to work there
Case Worker (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 11, 2015
To engage the public is a challenge but rewarding too. I enjoy assisting others to help improve their quality of life. I managed a caseload of 400. I was responsible for conducting intake appointments and ensuring case accuracy.
Fast paced
Interpreter (Former Employee), Salem, NCAugust 11, 2015
Helped customers that didn't speak English by interpreting into Spanish all aspects of food stamps and all other benefits rules.
Hard demanding work
Caseworker/Income Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Nothing free here be careful how you speak to clients
Cons: Great benefits
You have to be committed to understanding this type of environment. Clients can come in hostile and irate at any time. Compassion is the key.
Productive and fun working place
Income Maintenance Caseworker I (Current Employee), Smithfield, NCAugust 1, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks if any which sometimes is only lunch
I have a great Supervisor, wonderful coworkers that step in if you need help. duties are never boring and I meet people of walks of life.
Good Techniques
Secretary (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: never really took my break on schedule, due to the messy time schedule.
A typical day is very busy and and fast paced. I learned that you always have to do you best even if your just the greeter. Saying hello to someone can lift their sprits. The hardest part of the job was the people that has an attitude and takes it out on you!
loved it and will return to it if there is an opening
Human Service Specialist (Former Employee), darlington, south carolinaJuly 18, 2015
Pros: being able to leave if an emergency came up
A typical day at work was assisting my elderly clients with their daily living tasks. I learned that no matter what my day entailed that my clients came first and that helping them was my first and main priority. Management was very understanding and worked with you through any situation that came about. My co-workers were helpful and we all got along. The hardest part of my job was when of my elderly clients passed away. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping them and seeing them smile and give you a hug because they so appreciated it.
I would work here again
SOCIAL SERVICE WORKER II (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 17, 2015
Pros: great benefits, good work environment
Cons: lots of paperwork
The atmosphere was very relaxed when I was employed. I loved gaining the knowledge of my job and working with children and families. The hardest part of the job was getting to know there are a lot of sick individuals in the world that like to hurt children.
Productive and fun work place. Positive, fun and hard working staff.
Volunteer / Intern (Former Employee), Uniondale, NYJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Postive, fun, easy going people. Also giving back made me feel great!
Cons: Difficult people, hard case studies to deal with and find a solution to.
Came in, stuffed SNAP applications, either shadowed behind the welcome desk or worked in the playroom, went to lunch, either went to a case study or went back to stuffing SNAP applications and then went home.

I learned how Social Services helps those in need.

The management was very helpful and motivated and driven and always came into work with a positive attitude ready to help those in need and perform their job to the best of their ability.

My co - workers were hard working, fun and easy going people. They always had a positive attitude and never let anything get in their way.

The hardest part of this job was participating in the case studies.

The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the kids in the playroom. I love children and children love me.
Stressful but rewarding work culture
Social Worker (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 12, 2015
Assessed children and family safety to ensure children were not being neglected or abused. Created and assisted families with treatment plans to reduce the re-occurence of abuse and/or neglect.
A day at the office
Social Services Analyst (Current Employee), Metairie, LAJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Ability to help people in need
Cons: Benefits, Short lunch time, Noisy office, Office cleaniness
A typical day include receiving 5-12 new intake cases. Once the cases are pended for processing, phone calls are made to the applicant to review information entered on the application. The applicant are advised of the information/verification required to process the case. Notification letters are sent to the applicant as a reminder. If verification is received, it is reviewed and entered into the system. The case is then processed and benefits issued according to income verses expense calculation. Work is individual, but if assistance is required, one may go to a coworker with more experience, or a supervisor. The hardest part of the job is the caseload which continues to grow even if one is away from work on any particular day. I learned new computer programs, but aside from that, I am accustom to data entry. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping a person that really need assistance because of a setback in their lives.
fun place
Office Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee), panorama ,caJuly 9, 2015
Office Clerk/ Receptionist , Department Of Social Services
• Sort and distribute incoming mail
• Operate office machinery such as copier and fax machine
• Type and proofread outgoing correspondence
• Perform additional general office duties such as assisting staff with their specific work when required
• Answered and forwarded phone calls
• Greeted and directed walk-in customers
They worked hard to serve people.
Volunteer, Office Clerk (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJuly 2, 2015
The Department of Social Services is a place to help people and society in a different ways. They help people to find a job and overcome their problems.
fun work place
Summer Intern (Former Employee), hyattesville mdJune 17, 2015
it was a great job to work at everyone was nice to m being a new woker,i was so upset it was a summer intern and not my perminate job area