Department of Social Services Employee Reviews

The job is very abusives and the Managers are very low class people who use much profanity.
Protective Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 25, 2017
The job was very stressful. You are under paid and you have too many clients. You are held to complete work that is impossible to do and the clients are mistreated. You are mistreated if you disagree with Management and the way they treat clients. It was a hard job. State benefits are good but its hard to get transferred because they can't keep staff.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Overload Cases Unprofesional Managers
Enjoyable
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 21, 2017
I enjoy working for this company it involved face to face contact with customers and was very enjoyable. Training with job is good for those dedicated to helping others.
Good benefits.
BPS1 (Former Employee) –  Southeastern vaSeptember 20, 2017
The staff was awesome. The caseloads extremely heavy and very hard to keep up with on a daily basis. Great team effort on all to help get it done . Safe and secure place to work .
Benefits
Cons
Heavy caseloads
I loved it here!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYSeptember 20, 2017
This was a summer program. I enjoyed it very very much. The people were very welcoming and I would consider this place a career job. I would go back !
a place to work
Contractor (Clerical Support) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 20, 2017
okay place to work at your own pace, daily routines, own work areas, nice co workers and managers, learn as you go type of environment, if i wasn't under a 6 months contract I would of stay
great
Accountant/Fiscal Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 20, 2017
Great place to work. Good benefits with a great work place. In some departments there is not a lot advancement .Great work hours no overtime and no weekends.
Never a dull moment; everyday is unpredictable
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 16, 2017
This experience has groomed me as a professional and has prepared me to move forward in my professional development.
A typical day at work would include responding to emails, phone calls and monthly obligations of the department. Management can be helpful and supportive at times but the work is at points ongoing and overwhelming. The hardest part of being a service provider in the human services field, is not being able to see clients be successful. The most enjoyable part of the job is when families are reunited and are flourishing to self sufficiency.
Pros
working with the team of co -workers; job security; fullfillment of the work
Cons
Thankless job; overwhelming caseloads; poor compensation
Rewarding Work
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 16, 2017
Shifts were mostly 8 hours; quick paced team environment; supportive coworkers; rewarding work if you like improving the lives of children and families
Care free work setting. No hurry to complete tasks.
Fiscal Tech I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 15, 2017
I would prefer not to discuss a typical day at work, what I learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job or the most enjoyable part of the job.
Benefits
Cons
No comment
Stressful, fullfilling able to help others
Human Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 14, 2017
You have lots of changes and always working against a time line. If you don't like the way things are just stay and it will change. You gain time off each month for sick and annual days.
Pros
annual leave, sick leave
Cons
stressful, work against time limits
Friendly atmosphere; qualified workers.
Income Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Animas, COSeptember 14, 2017
Productive work place. Co workers and supervisor are very professional. The atmosphere is friendly but highly qualified. I basically return files to the cabinets as well as perform receptionist duties. I type documents for my supervisor or any employee who seeks out my assistance.
I am proficient in Excel and have been the go-to person in this area.
The hardest part of the job is dealing one-on-one with the clients as I prefer to work in the background.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere. The co workers and supervisor are friendly and courteous.
Pros
Monthly luncheons to celebrate employees birthdays
Cons
Being a part time worker I don't benefit from healthcare, paid vacations or decent pay.
low pay, no advancement
Human Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29201September 13, 2017
I am not pleased with my salary at all, the job is boring, management is awful, some of them are cut throat and not professional, there is no advancement, they are hiring people off the streets with no experience over us that are experienced and hiring their friends.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
no advacnement, pay is low
Job
Social Welfare Examiner (Former Employee) –  Hudson, NYSeptember 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at the Department of Social Services. The best part of the job was helping those in need. My coworkers were very supportive we all helped each other. The case load was huge but we mad it work.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Not much
Production and attention to detail
Senior Accounting Officer (Specialist) (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95814September 11, 2017
Duties involved posting, monitoring, maintaining accounting records for two funds for a licensing division within the department of Social Services. Reconciled accounts and processed reconciliations.
Pros
worked for the government
fun,easy,short
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2017
Very busy at work. Had to maintain an positive attitude. Do to a minor distraction with an upset customer. Who benefits did'nt appear on her card . My job was to help customer remain clam. by doing so i advised her that someone one would be down shortly to help fix the problem.
Stressful
Human Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCSeptember 8, 2017
A typical day at work consists of constant reports coming in daily. It also consist of extensive documentation. There isn't any room for advancement.
offers room for growth
Intern (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 29, 2017
management could use some improvement
some departments are filled with drama and pettiness
there are several departments in the agency that offer room for advancement
Cons
lacks professionalism and micro manage
Fast paced and interesting.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2017
Important to stay on top of current trend shifts and relevant regulations. Very competitive atmosphere complicated by political decision making. Very hard to get ahead, little advancement. Testing is required for promotion. People remain in the same positions for years. It is common to see employees in the same position for thirty years.
Reasonable place to work.
JS (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 29, 2017
Reasonable place to work.for a steady career. Great for a person with a family. The work environment is safe and clean. The location of the worksites are easily accessible.
Great Place to work
Economic Assistance Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 18, 2017
Balances work/home life. Great benefits such as vacation, multiple paid holidays per year. I believe the only downfall is compensation and opportunity for advancement.