Department of State Health Services Employee Reviews

Good place to work for Job/Work life Balance
ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2018
Not much room for growth, pretty much dead end, but a good job to have as a parent. The hardest part of the job is not being compensated for the work that is done. Not appreciated as a worker.
Pros
Flexibility, job security, comfort
Cons
No raises or promotions. Low pay.
Great Agency
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2018
Always let you attend training you would like. Great team members to work with. was able to explore other departments and get cross training. some area to move around
Great place
Intern, Social Work Aide (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2018
DSHS gave me a great opportunity to intern. The hardest part was being flexible with patient needs. I enjoyed working under the director and gained plenty experience.
Like working for any government entity
WIC Vendor Relations (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 10, 2017
The pay is under market value for the same job duties, but the job security is better than in the corporate environment. Insurance/Health benefits are some of the better ones I've had. Vacation/Sick leave policy leaves something to be desired
I'm looking to grow
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 20, 2017
This was my first job out of the military and it got me back into the pace of working as a civilian. I enjoyed my time but now that I've received my MBA I'd like to explore other opportunities.
Interacting with the customers
Admin II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2017
The best part in working at Texas Dept of State Health Svcs is interacting with the customers and there crazy stories they share. Sometimes I can't believe the links they go through in obtaining or trying to get their Birth Certificates.
Pros
Pro meeting new people that lives around the world
Cons
Cons not being able to service them
no review
MEDICAL SOCIAL WORKER (Current Employee) –  waco, texasOctober 12, 2017
Good company to work for, I have worked for several agencies and by far this one has bee the most rewarding. Supervisors are always there to help and encourage you.
Pros
good environment
Cons
no growth room
Job was relaxed
Research Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2017
Team lead is a great person to work for. Work is repetitive and pay is on the lower end. Work is not related to my degree field and my desire is to get into my original career field.
Everything hinges on the boss.
Accountant IV (Former Employee) –  Federal Funds ReportingSeptember 26, 2017
Right now the agency is going through changes. That is not good. The department where I worked used to be good. People left. They hired a new manager and the department changed for the worse. Upper management knows the problem. Nothing gets done about it though. The pay is poor. There is a lot of micromanagement which equals stress. The boss didn't treat people fairly. She was unstable and not qualified to manage an ant farm. Stay away from the general ledger unit. It's run poorly.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Horrible environment. Horrible pay. Horrible boss. Horrible days. Horrible building.
LOVE the job and
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 23, 2017
Love working with numbers and accounting is one of my careers goals numbers KEEP your mind sting as well as English you always have to spell and numbers you need this everyday.
Pros
Relax
Cons
Work load but don't complain.
I love it
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  WashingtonSeptember 9, 2017
Just need a second job.. I love the client and he is about to die so this is exactly why I am looking for a new job.. it's a tough job to have as you get attached to the client family
productive fun place to work
Comunitty Liaison Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oslo kommuneSeptember 8, 2017
I enjoyed every minute working there.State dept. jobs are not just a job it is a way of life. i would go back to work for them at any time and if possible stay there until i retire.
Benefits are great at DSHS
Program Specialist V (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2017
Working at DSHS can be stressful at times, but a normal workday is usually calm. Most employees are a pleasure to work with, but upper management does not communicate well to all employees. The benefits are wonderful, but the pay is not equal to the private sector in most areas.
Pros
Paid vacation and sick time
Cons
Not paid for working overtime when required
Horrible for Social Workers
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2017
The Austin State Hospital currently has 7 openings for social workers for a reason. Horrible leadership. No room for promotion or advancement. Heavy workload, no support from social services director, and a toxic work culture. Pay is mediocre.
Pros
Interesting clients
Cons
Poorly managed social work department, high stress, bad work culture
Productive and Positive atmosphere
Public Health and Prevention Specialist II (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 12, 2017
I highly recommend, DSHS values their workers and invest in them to become better workers and overall better people. excellent benefits and pay. room for advancement , I learned a lot while working for them. I am very happy to have worked there
Pros
excellent benefits and pay
Cons
travel may affect family time
I liked working with my budget customers.
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 4, 2017
The work that I did for DSHS was great. The management had their favorites. So it made it difficult for those of us that did do a great job to get recognized. I would work with them again but under a different Director.
Easy workplace
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2017
Friendly workplace, easy but repetitive daily tasks. Processing mail, processing applications, data entry, filing, updating information in database on a daily basis.
Pros
Free parking garage; stress-free workplace.
Cons
Low pay; no mental challenge; repetitive work.
Good benefits
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TXJune 21, 2017
Good benefits, good benefit package, with average time off. Stable job front but it take a long time from filling out application to being called for an interview.
Good place to work if not seeking advancement. I personally loved my job.
CLERK III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2017
Good place to work. No opportunity as far as earning potential without movement, but good retirement plan and time off benefits. There is a lot to learn. Good exposure to diversity within co-workers and clients. Due to the nature of the business there is a lot of reorganization; some good some bad changes, but overall attempts of improvement are always a good thing to me.
Pros
Good leave benefits, retirement plan
Cons
Low earning potential, high safety risks due to nature of business.
good place to work
Immunization Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rio Grande City, TXMay 30, 2017
Team work, great benefits, good management. Patients are very nice. Learning is very important to them, trainings are provided. Working here has allowed me grow as a person and professional.