Department of State

Department of State Employer Reviews

Excellent place to work andgain knowledge of diplomatic engagement.
Senior Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2015
I am a Senior Budget Analyst where I manage $4.5 billion for the Contributions to International Organizations and Contributions for International Peacekeeping Activities. A typical day my consist of my going to the Hill to brief Congress and staffers on the budget for each of the above accounts. I train junior analysts and co-workers on the financial systems and assist them with training classes to improve their budgeting skills. The most difficult part of my job is time management when preparing the Congressional Budget Justification for the Hill. The most enjoyable part of my job has been working with an excellent set of co-workers who work as a team.
An outstanding opportunity to see different cultures
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Overseas assignmentsFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: to see the world, this is the agency to work.
Cons: being aboard brings dagners, i.e., mortars, bombing, etc.
The Department of State showed me many opportunities. To served in different countries, experiencing different cultures, visiting other countries while on vacation and, to retire at an early age.
Agency
Network Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2015
productive and challenging

flexible work hour and shifts

multiple options for personal and professional growth

educational, medical and dental benefits
excited place to work.
Various Clerk Positions (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2015
•Performed general office duties such as operating office equipment, sorting mail, faxing, and Xeroxing.
•Answered and routed approximately 80-100 phone calls daily to appropriate departments.
•Provided clerical support to Department of State student and intern programs, using Microsoft Access.
•Prepared exam rooms for Foreign Service Exam Testing; wiped down exam books after each use.
DOS
General Clerk (Former Employee), North CharlestonFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: fun, perks and benefits
Cons: 2 year contract
This has got to be the best job that I’ve ever had. There was never a dull moment from the coworkers to the outside customers who made it worth going to work every day. I gained the ability to have say over some of the other employees which I was very proud to achieve. We also enjoyed holiday and other work related festivities that I also had the pleasure of being apart of the planning committee
Productive excelent enviroment
Windows Systems Administrator/Network (Former Employee), NYFebruary 20, 2015
The Bureau of Information Resource Management (IRM) is a component of Department of State's management family of bureaus, which provides the information technology and services the Department needs to successfully carry out its foreign policy mission.

IRM is divided into two constituent groups, Operations (OPS) and Business, Planning, and Customer Service (BPC). Among the tasks assigned IRM's branches and divisions are deployment and maintenance of a global network supporting more than 250 overseas diplomatic missions sending nearly six million official messages (sometimes called cables in reference to the long-employed telegraphic means of transmission).
Links Solution Contractor (Former Employee), Beltsville MarylandFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: breaks
Cons: n/a
Department of State Contractors Beltsville Maryland
Work enviroment was great. Co-worker very helpful. Supported Army Telecommunications department. Co-workers worked together well share knowledge and information. Work day can get very furstrating when network go down.
Best Internship I had in D.C.
Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2015
The Department of State provided the most well-rounded, intensive and fun internship that I had while living in Washington D.C. There was never a dull moment and the work I had to do was comprehensive and interest driven. Would recommend over and over again. The only negative I had was the insistence on a 40-hour per week internship which was hard to balance with taking classes and writing a master's thesis.
Hard work and dedication
Information Specialist II Network Controller (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2015
Day begins at 4:30, I get up early and get things accomplished. I believe you learn something from everyone you come in contct with, even bad supervision. I enjoy working with others, but I don' mind working alone. The hardest part of the job is when you are not appreciated and the most enjoyable is knowing that I gave my all.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2015
I learned a lot working there - staff was friendly a lot of room for growth, but my position did not have promotion potential
Short Summary
Consultant (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 15, 2015
My work day starts by reviewing server logs, comparing current day with previous day. Taking action on any alerts that took place over night.
Provide Tier 1, 2, 3 level support to user.
Attend weekly meetings with team members.
Fun
Diplomatic Security Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 23, 2014
Pros: convenient
A very fun place to work. The childern was the best part of working.
There was a very supportive team enviornment.
Budget Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 2, 2014
Pros: this was a stable career position.
Cons: there were not to many opportunities for advancement.
A typical day at work would be to complete daily assignments on my desk computer and attend office meeting whenever held.
good working enviroment
Diplomatic Security Officer (Current Employee), washington dcNovember 10, 2014
Pros: the pat is good
there is a lot about this job some may find bad but over all i find it to be good and easy going.
Great Job
Vehicle Manager (Former Employee), VANovember 2, 2014
Had a wonderful time working and learning with great people
Excelent place to work
Contractor (Current Employee), Arlington, VAOctober 28, 2014
Contractor: Department of State, Foreign Service Institute
Duties: Program Assistant for Gap Solutions. Applicant is assigned to School of Language Studies Near East Asia, Arabic division. Applicant assists in administration functions, such as TATEL, STMS, SLS Express.
Fun Place to Work
Inbound and Domestic Transportation Counselor (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 27, 2014
Very good place to work and grow in your career. Very busy as well
productive and fun
General Clerk (STEP) (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 22, 2014
Pros: good pay
this job was very good, you can work a part time or full time shift. Manager was very friendly, always gave feedback whether it is negative or positive. the most enjoyable part of this job was everything
IT first tier desktop support
Help Desk IT Professional, I (Former Employee), Washington DCOctober 22, 2014
Pros: great place to grow
Cons: short breaks
A typical day would be opening your email, slelecting emails that have been sent from customers, and troubleshooting the issues. Maybe a phone call or two during the day, but i was on the email team. We filtered the emails into tickets which we figure out the placement of all the issues.
Interesting people
Foreign Service Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 14, 2014
I really enjoy every aspect of my time at the State Department. Lots of interesting people doing a dizzying variety of cool job. You're never locked into just one thing.

1 2 3 4 5