Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Hard working people.
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 10, 2018
I was impressed at the work ethic and professionalism of all the attorneys. They were all kind and accommodating. Attorneys had the option of working from home on some days as well.
Productive and very fun
Money Handler (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 7, 2018
A typical work day include answering the telephone, data entry, customer service, filing, and working with vendors to promote transportation services and providing schedules to the public.
I learned great customer service skills, data entry and working with vendors getting the best quotes for products we use daily.
Management overall was good help was always available.
The culture wasn't very diverse as a public organization it was predominantly one culture.
The hardest part of the job was the pay, we were rated lower than others states for the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing different events including employee appreciation, retirement parties, employee of the month and senior citizen events.
Pros
The pros include working with the mayor
Cons
The pay
FAA Air traffic controller.
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 5, 2018
I was with the FAA for 21 years, I served two years in the training department as an instructor, as well as giving OJT to trainees while working as an air traffic controller. I provided separation between aircraft at the Fort Worth Air Route Traffic Control Center utilizing primarily radar. There were periods of extreme stress, but also periods of routine even pace.
Pros
Great Salary & benefits
Cons
Somewhat stressfull
ok place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 3, 2018
dot is a good place to work because it is a 4 day a week job. nice to have 3 days off. Some of the supervisiors that use to be there was something to be said. he ran off a few good workers, and sad thing was he was low man on totum pole to at one time. forgot where he came form.
Pros
easy to work for
Cons
good people most of the time
Work day
Administration Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 3, 2018
The company itself is great, but the management needs a lot of work I feel really under appreciated. The office manager has no social skills. She has to micro-manage everything.
It was a good place to work
Equipment Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Strausstown, PAFebruary 1, 2018
When I was there ,I ran alot of equipment. I plowed snow. I learned alot to. I met alot of good people to work with. The company was a good place to work for. I was there 25 years and I retired from there.
Pros
I learned alot
Productive fun environment
Investigator III (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2018
it is a great place to work and the pay was good. Being an inspector required being flexible and ver knowledgeable about aircrafts. The FAA will train an inspector to become proficient if that person can read and comprehend what is being taught. To become an Inspector, one must've had training as an aircraft mechanic or pilot and meet certain criteria. There is a lot of traveling involved, so one must be willing to travel at least 80 hours out of a month
Pros
Meeting different peopled traveling.
Cons
paperwork, poor management personnel
nothing
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2018
it was good but boring but chill and very hot outside to be taking photograph of buses and wildlife but it was chill and cool. i learned how to upload photo to powerpoint
Excellent pay, bad management
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 22, 2018
I worked for the FAA, part of the Department of Transportation. I learned a lot as a communication technician. The pay was excellent. Management was chronically discriminating against certain type of people. I tried to work around that in the most peaceful and friendly way I could. Not every job has a good work culture, and this happened to be one of them, in contrast to other jobs where the culture was something I very much enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was occasionally working 16 hours a day if there were serious outages. I received an award early on in my years of service. That involved solving a major noise problem that had existed for many years. I repaired, modified, installed communications equipment during each shift.
Pros
Excellent salary and benefits
Cons
Abusive management, and cut-throat employees
Great job satisfaction!
Federal Safety Investigator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 22, 2018
A good career that affords much professional development and varied experiences. Depending on your location the position can provide you with as much travel as you desire.
Pros
Professional atmosphere
Cons
Regimented

Want to know more about Department of Transportation?

Ask a question
Like the military except with paid overtime.
Air Traffic Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 22, 2018
Plenty of advancement opportunities. Military culture, most coworkers prior military. Management seems preoccupied with the big picture and feels like I get lost in the shuffle at times.
Quick-paced, collaborative environment for aviation enthusiasts
Advisor to the Director, Flight Standards (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2018
I love working for the FAA. I work with dedicated, hard-working aviation enthusiasts who are all dedicated to keeping aviation safe while enabling more operations in the US airspace. It's challenging, but very rewarding work for someone who enjoys the public puzzle of regulations.
Okay place to work.
Airspace System Inspection Pilot (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJanuary 20, 2018
Every day is different. Helping to keep the flying public moving and safe is what we do, everyday. Working in the public sector can be frustrating but the rewards are huge and tangible especially when you've helped bring a big project to a successful conclusion.
Challenging
Financial Technician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 19, 2018
There is always a project to be finished, so my days went quickly. My job consisted of reviewing travel vouchers, assisting employees with travel plans to ensure they met government set guidelines. Reviewing and processing purchase orders.
I learned a great deal about how the Federal Highway works, thing I didn’t know as a civilian employee.
Management is great, they encourage you to excel and continue learning new things. I enjoy the interaction with my fellow employees and management.
The hardest part of the job is year end. In my job it meant getting the employees to file their vouchers by the end of the fiscal year. Making sure the reimbursable accounts are current and all purchase orders have been entered into the accounting system, so the money is allocated.
The most enjoyable part of the job is during the holiday seasons. There is allot of interaction between employees and it’s a lot of fun.
Pros
You can set your own hours
Cons
Sometimes deadlines cause other duties to suffer
Custodian
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2018
Maintaining cleanliness and organization. Learn to sanitize carpets. Possibilities of starting your own contract company. Difficult at times, however, we maintained team work. The offices were large. Leaving and seeing the team the following day.
Cons
good
Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 14, 2018
Good place to work with great benefits. Really great people. I really enjoy working for the people of Florida helping in any way to make the roadways safe and clean.
Very educational environment Flight Safety
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, GAJanuary 11, 2018
Working with Air Traffic Controllers is a great learning experience. Keeping the air waves safe is our goal. The job is very enjoyable and a safe place to work.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Budget Analyst Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2018
For me a typical day was focused, open to new processes. Worked well with management. Improved work culture, standardization effectiveness. The people
In general over all it was a good place to work
Surveyor Tech. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNJanuary 9, 2018
There could be some long days at times dew to weather because if it was rainy a lot we had to stay inside but when the days were dry and sunny well that is when we all had a chance to get out and do our job as surveyors and take a walk in too nature.
Pros
out side in nature
Cons
stuck inside do to rain.
excellent to work for
Heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKJanuary 5, 2018
during winter very busy lots of hours , always called in to work , all overtime in the winter, summer was relaxed , worked regular hours found extra stuff to do to stay busy