Department of Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Lost and getting worse
Front Line Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILOctober 8, 2015
Having worked for the FAA for over 25 years, I have seen it progressively slide downward. The professionalism that used to be a hallmark of air traffic control is gone. The integrity of managers and too many employees is gone. A sense of progress and vision is non-existent. In conversations with peers around the country, the same refrain is heard again and again: ATC needs to be contracted out to fix it. The ATO is rotting from the inside out. The head of the snake needs to be cut off.

The hardest part of an ATC job is working within the management structure. It's hostile both directions, and many managers refuse to take a stand out of fear of reprisal. The only enjoyable part of the job is the pay and the benefits. (Know anywhere besides public "service" where you get a pension AND Social Security AND a 401(k)?)
Pros
FAA subsidizes health insurance premiums; guaranteed pension; job security.
Cons
Management structure and lack of clarity or vision.
Productive and fun work place with sport activities such as baseball.
Administrative Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
The work day passed quickly due to big load work. I am learning how to behave and work as a team with my co-workers. Management is very good, friendly, cooperative. Meantime, I am meeting the company requirements, codes of behavior, etc. I am feeling very good in such good working atmosphere. However, professional grows is limited, although, I did take and passed all professional exams that are were offered to me. Besides, my salary get is stuck somewhere in the middle of its scale.
Very well compensated
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrigada, GUMarch 30, 2016
i was paid very well at FAA, but the work environment was so hostile, politics, backstabbing, demeaning coworkers, and an apathetic boss to cover it all up.
Pros
mostly stable work hours, room for promotions every year
Cons
hostile work environment
Working among professionals
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAMarch 29, 2016
My current position has me working in an environment where there are over 200 people in our location. A majority of these employees are either air traffic controllers or management support staff who were once air traffic controllers. These folks have to be very focused in their jobs and I provide essential support with pay and personnel issues -- dealing daily with pay and input of hours. keeping up with new hires and departing, relocating, retiring controllers and providing them with the required paperwork for personnel actions. I work four ten hour days weekly with Friday as my RDO. In our office, the managers are seasoned professionals in the airline industry whose primary function is to ensure safe airways for all travelers. My co-workers deal with different aspects of the administration of varying phases of training (VA records), travel expenditures and district issues, as our current location is also our District headquarters. The hardest part of the job is the fact that deadlines for payroll are often moved up, when holidays fall on a payroll Monday. These kind of events eliminate our one "breather" day to complete payroll and I have come in on weekends in order to complete this task without feeling the pressure of "getting it all right in 4 hours". The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with the young, new hires, who are so excited and optimistic about their arrival at our facility.
Pros
Close to home - 20 minute commute
Cons
No room for advancement
great job
program manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Great job with an expandable plate for handling as many national items as you are able to support. Indoctrinates true corporate culture and readies you for either a career with them or to strike out on your own with a wealth of experience.
Pros
many
Cons
Great place to work and serve our country in a positive manner
Senior Manager, Strategic Operations Security (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2016
My agency within the Department of Transportation is the Federal Aviation Administration and is responsible for the safe, efficient and secure movement of air traffic within the national airspace system. My small organization within the FAA Air Traffic Organization was responsible for air traffic management security. It requires a 24/7 mentality, a never fail attitude and great team work. The organization is responsible all air traffic security measures such as airspace around events like Super Bowl, VIP (President, etc.) visits, and other high profile events. In addition, the organization provides direct support to the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security and other intergovernmental organizations to secure airspace while allowing for the continued commercial access. Finally, the organization is responsible for the air traffic response to crisis and emergencies, such as wild fires, flooding, hurricanes, etc.
Pros
Great job stability
Cons
24/7 effects of always being on call.
Productive and learning-friendly workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PAApril 3, 2016
During my time at the Department, I was associated with the completion of roadway surveys through their S.T.A.M.P.P program. I learned a lot through this program including data entry and leadership skills. A typical day was working first shift being responsible with state-issued vehicles and navigating within the four districts we were concerned with to complete drainage, guiderail, and shoulder surveys.
Pros
Good pay with mileage compensation
Cons
Some slow days
Very hard worker always on time.
Laborer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ozark, ALFebruary 19, 2016
A typical day at work we would travel and do road work. What I learned was if you're going to do a job, make sure you do it right and always finish it. I loved the management we was well taken care of. My co-workers and I always got along, we respected each others opinion. The hardest part of the job was getting off because that's when the learning stopped. What was most enjoyable about working was putting thermoplastic down.
Throughly enjoyed my career with the Federal Aviation Administration
Computer Specialist/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasAugust 17, 2015
A typical day at work was an enjoyable atmosphere of professionals. As the computer specialist I learned the skill set of all aspects of computers (desktops, laptops, and servers). I've never not used my administrative skills in this job, answering telephones, data entry, typing, etc. The management personnel up until I retire was over the top as were my co-workers. My job was not hard at all. I enjoy working and helping people. My last assignment was in the customer service area when I found challenging and rewarding.
Pros
Good benefits, professional environment, excellent pay
Cons
Provide air traffic control services
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 5, 2015
Worked rotating shifts, 40 hour work weeks.. Worked in a combined tower/TRACON facility where we provided separation/ATC services to air traffic in and around the Colorado Springs Area.

In addition to my regular duties, I worked on my own time and expenses to make General Aviation better in the southern Colorado arena. I host safety seminars for pilots by organizing a Saturday program twice a year for pilots to attend and get continuing education credits for. I currently serve as a FAA Safety Team counselor and meet with pilots to help them better understand air traffic control and to talk better on the radio.
Pros
Best career ever, great benefits, pay and time off
Cons
rotating shifts, 24/7/365 type job

Want to know more about Department of Transportation?

Ask a question
Providing program management assistance to customers - internal and external to the Federal Aviation Administration
A Management Program Analyst/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2015
I loved working for the Federal Aviation Administration. I learned so much about working for the Government; providing assistance to air traffic controllers and the aviation public in general, dealing with the public concerning air traffic issues. Management was very supportive in that we were allowed to work alternate work schedules and telecommute. As with all Government, there was red tape but we took pride in the work we accomplished knowing that we did in fact make a difference.
Pros
telecommuting, earned sick and annual leave, etc
Cons
none that I can think of
great career if you can handle it
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Longmont, CODecember 9, 2015
the work life balance of an air traffic controller is awful. You will workever every night, weekend and holidays for the first 20 years of your career.
Best job ever!
Legal Assistant to Deputy Attorney General (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEMarch 6, 2016
I loved working at the Department of Transportation's legal office. This office provided legal services to over 2500 employees of the department. Networking and a great deal of organization and recall were essential. Job security, training opportunities, and job/life balance was excellent.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers
Cons
low pay
Unpredictable ever changing aircraft movement
Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 10, 2015
Great job. Great benefits. Horrible working hours. Enjoy fast paced environment to work in. Gratifying career. Would recommend to anyone that likes airplanes.
Benefits
Cons
Shiftwork
Excellent Career and unlimited growth potential
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 26, 2015
Rewarding job! Worked with a highly intelligent workforce. The hardest part of the job was the rotating schedule.
You work with the airlines and pilots on a daily basis. Helping a pilot out of a bad situation is very rewarding.
During my 24 years with the FAA Ive seen management swings to the extreme. We had some very bad to awesome managers and supervisors.
Pros
Good Pay and Benefits
Cons
Rotating shifts and do not always have weekends off
Workplace
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 10, 2016
A typical day is scheduled pick ups, bus inspection before starting the route. Pre-trip and a post trip, paper work for any incidents. The hardest part is dealing with customers under the influence who may harm other's or themselves,
Pros
Weekly pay, benefits
Cons
Frequent change of work shedule, safety hazards, no lunch breaks
Experienced Aviation Professional
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 23, 2015
I am a 40 year veteran of the aviation industry. My skills span from commercial pilot, flight instructor, ground school instructor, to 34 years in air traffic control and management. My expertise includes Safety Management Systems, technical course design and delivery, and classroom presentation to adult learners.

My objective is to harness 40 years of aviation experience and use it develop others who wish to excel in this industry.

I am educated in aviation maintenance, flight, air traffic control management, and organizational leadership with a Masters Degree in Organizational Leadership.
Professional Assistant
Project Administrator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 28, 2015
In a typical day at my job, I come in and log into the system. I then have my cup of coffee. While having my first cup, I scroll thru and reply to all of my emails. I then check my inbox for request from the Specialists and Management. After I have those sorted, I go into the system required to get all work distributed for the specialists for the day and make sure I log them all in on my spreadsheet. The hardest part of my job would be when I'm trying to get all of this done, but the phone is ringing and others are coming up to ask questions and have me do different things. I think the most enjoyable part would be the same thing, because it feels good to have people depend on you and trust you enough to know that you will get it done accurately and timely.
Pros
Working independently
Cons
My working hours
Not a good place to work for
office support (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTJanuary 22, 2016
Work hard with no incentive by supervisor.
Learned not to trust union representatives.
Managers do not support employees
Co-workers are fake, back stabbing, selfish.
The hardest part of the job was service ratings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the holidays.
Government environment, relaxed but, productive
Senior Realty Specialist / Site-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lawndale, CaliforniaSeptember 23, 2015
I worked as a contractor supporting the Federal Aviation Administration in the Logistics Department. The culture when I arrived was the contractors were just the hired help. I changed the perception of the contractors role when I became the Site-Supervisor. The change I instituted initially was our professionalism, and production, our presence was necessary not just tolerated. I was able to get training on the same level as Government employees. The workplace became more equal, and enjoyable as we proved our worth. The experience was both challenging and rewarding.
Pros
Excellent learing experience
Cons
Lack of respect

4.2