Department of Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, team player, flexible
Parking Control Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 21, 2016
Going into work for the roll call and being told where I would be for the day. The section of the city. I learned more about the city. The places and where everything that I had no ides was at. The management was super helpful about the job. My co-workers was funny, helpful and team players. The hardest part of the job was giving people tickets. The most enjoyable part was helping people.
Good agency, still growing in training upgrades.
Photolithographic Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glendale Heights, MDApril 12, 2016
I had good experiences under, DOT / FAA. Before I left they had not started the upgrade and retraining of older employee at that time.
Fast paced Environment
Van Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Storrs Mansfield, CTApril 7, 2016
My day consists of driving and dispatching other drivers around campus. We transport people with handicaps through the University of Connecticut campus. Because the campus is so large, this service is necessary for those who have limited accessibility. The job requires a tremendous amount of responsibility and accountability.
Working to Save Lives
Transportation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 5, 2016
The agency is in place to serve and protect everyone involved in interstate transportation. Whether it be the companies, drivers or the public.
Pros
Self Rewarding
Cons
Administrative opportunities
Productive and learning-friendly workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PAApril 3, 2016
During my time at the Department, I was associated with the completion of roadway surveys through their S.T.A.M.P.P program. I learned a lot through this program including data entry and leadership skills. A typical day was working first shift being responsible with state-issued vehicles and navigating within the four districts we were concerned with to complete drainage, guiderail, and shoulder surveys.
Pros
Good pay with mileage compensation
Cons
Some slow days
Very well compensated
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrigada, GUMarch 30, 2016
i was paid very well at FAA, but the work environment was so hostile, politics, backstabbing, demeaning coworkers, and an apathetic boss to cover it all up.
Pros
mostly stable work hours, room for promotions every year
Cons
hostile work environment
Working among professionals
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAMarch 29, 2016
My current position has me working in an environment where there are over 200 people in our location. A majority of these employees are either air traffic controllers or management support staff who were once air traffic controllers. These folks have to be very focused in their jobs and I provide essential support with pay and personnel issues -- dealing daily with pay and input of hours. keeping up with new hires and departing, relocating, retiring controllers and providing them with the required paperwork for personnel actions. I work four ten hour days weekly with Friday as my RDO. In our office, the managers are seasoned professionals in the airline industry whose primary function is to ensure safe airways for all travelers. My co-workers deal with different aspects of the administration of varying phases of training (VA records), travel expenditures and district issues, as our current location is also our District headquarters. The hardest part of the job is the fact that deadlines for payroll are often moved up, when holidays fall on a payroll Monday. These kind of events eliminate our one "breather" day to complete payroll and I have come in on weekends in order to complete this task without feeling the pressure of "getting it all right in 4 hours". The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with the young, new hires, who are so excited and optimistic about their arrival at our facility.
Pros
Close to home - 20 minute commute
Cons
No room for advancement
the job holds to responsibillty and potocol
Air Traffic System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2016
Hadn't I had a serious of accidents I wouldn't have retired great job great co-worker's,...good benifits. I love the atomomy and versatilty of it.
Well organized
Transportation Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCMarch 15, 2016
Employees were treated fairly though some underpaid than those with same job responsibilities. The job itself was fast paced but easy to manage.
Management is shady
Air Transportation System Specialist (ATSS) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2016
Management is fake and backstabbers. DO NOT TRUST. DO NOT TRUST. Especially in the L.A. area, morale is super low and people talk about each other all the time badly behind their backs.
Workplace
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 10, 2016
A typical day is scheduled pick ups, bus inspection before starting the route. Pre-trip and a post trip, paper work for any incidents. The hardest part is dealing with customers under the influence who may harm other's or themselves,
Pros
Weekly pay, benefits
Cons
Frequent change of work shedule, safety hazards, no lunch breaks
Best job ever!
Legal Assistant to Deputy Attorney General (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEMarch 6, 2016
I loved working at the Department of Transportation's legal office. This office provided legal services to over 2500 employees of the department. Networking and a great deal of organization and recall were essential. Job security, training opportunities, and job/life balance was excellent.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers
Cons
low pay
great people to work with
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Dickson, TNMarch 2, 2016
lots of driving early mornings and late afternoons. Stressful job making sure all kids are safe and secure and arrive home and to school in a timely manner.
Pros
off in summer
Cons
long work days for little pay
It was a great place to work.
HR Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYFebruary 27, 2016
I learned a lot from this company and the people their were great to have as friends and co-workers. Working for the government can be exciting. It was sad that my department had to relocate to Kansas City, MO and I was not inn the position at the time to make that decision. At the time that I would have had to move was in the middle of a school year and I did not want to pull my kids out and have them start all over again. I did not have anyone here in New York to take care of them. I really miss my friends.
Amazing Career
Administrative support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAFebruary 27, 2016
very cool job and fun atmosphere I would recommend this company to anyone from Engineers to Land Development
this company know the importance of creating an interesting
an fun environment for there employees to keep their minds positive for their customers
A great place to work and learn
Mississippi Department of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, MSFebruary 25, 2016
Going out on the highway to keep bridges and overpasses clear and passable. The over all position was to keep all roads in the state of Mississippi clear of all kinds debris.
Pros
being out and doing different tasks.
Cons
having to be out in all kinds of weather
Productive and Fun Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 23, 2016
Great organization to be employed by. Many opportunities to excell. Employees are all professional. Productive and fun place to work
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
bridge operations
Bridge Operator (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJFebruary 22, 2016
The responcablity of knowing your job very will do to the safty of opening and closing of bridge. Being aware foot and road traffic. Doing opening and closing.
Great place to work and serve our country in a positive manner
Senior Manager, Strategic Operations Security (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2016
My agency within the Department of Transportation is the Federal Aviation Administration and is responsible for the safe, efficient and secure movement of air traffic within the national airspace system. My small organization within the FAA Air Traffic Organization was responsible for air traffic management security. It requires a 24/7 mentality, a never fail attitude and great team work. The organization is responsible all air traffic security measures such as airspace around events like Super Bowl, VIP (President, etc.) visits, and other high profile events. In addition, the organization provides direct support to the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security and other intergovernmental organizations to secure airspace while allowing for the continued commercial access. Finally, the organization is responsible for the air traffic response to crisis and emergencies, such as wild fires, flooding, hurricanes, etc.
Pros
Great job stability
Cons
24/7 effects of always being on call.
Very hard worker always on time.
Laborer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ozark, ALFebruary 19, 2016
A typical day at work we would travel and do road work. What I learned was if you're going to do a job, make sure you do it right and always finish it. I loved the management we was well taken care of. My co-workers and I always got along, we respected each others opinion. The hardest part of the job was getting off because that's when the learning stopped. What was most enjoyable about working was putting thermoplastic down.

4.2