Department of Transportation

Department of Transportation Employer Reviews

I Like TO DO THIS AGAIN SOON ?
STREET LIGHT COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: i walked had a enjoyable time.
Cons: i may do it again soon? perhaps
WHEN WORKING THERE I RECIEVED EXPERIENCE AS A SUPERVISOR KINDA LIKE WORKING FOR MYSELF LIKE BEING IN A LEADERSHIP ROLE INWHICH I WAS I REALLY ENJOYED TALKUNG TO MY NEYGHBORS I REALLY DID ONCE I SOLD AVON BUT THIS JOB I GOT MY DOING IT? AND WOULD DO IT AGAIN IF I HAD TOO? IT S LOT FUN! AND NEIGHBORS ENJOYED TALKING TO ME BECAUSE A FEW HADNT MET ME BEFORE. THEY MADE MY DAY AND I MADE THEIRS TOO.
mr resume says all
Assistant Bridge operator (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: all pros
Cons: no cons
looking for aircraft mechanic position. full time or part time anything so i can start my career i have both licsence airframe and powerplant.
Dynamic,l beautiful view job where you actually have control reagrding the pilots.
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Former Employee), Ontario, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: you would never have the same day twice; you never knew what could happen.
Cons: extreme shift work. working three graveyard shifts in a row; extreme fatigue.
Beginning with my last job with the FAA, I found it to be a very dynamic, fast-paced environment. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with emergency air carrier situations, bomb threats; basically anything putting us on high alert as air traffic controllers. I also learned how to manage people in a way that encourages rather that belittles the employee.

At PwC it was a much more hands - off environment. There wasn't a manager breathing down your neck; you simply did your job like an adult and consequently everybody was happy.
Claims, Torts, Office Administration
Claims Representative/Intern (Former Employee), Olympia, WAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: job experience, and knowledge of our state
Cons: no future within
I started each day by checking emails from other co-workers, retrieved mail, sorted mail, assisted supervisor with mailings, torts, claims, data entry, email letters, and also helped out with 2 different Projects within this company.
The most enjoyable part of this job was learning how our State highways, county, city highways differ in respect to claims and torts filed for and against the State of Washington. I learned about the different Regions of our state, regulations and laws for claims and torts.
Drug & Alc. Compliance and Enforcement Inspector (Current Employee), Miramar, FLFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: no cons
It is a great place to work. great people with godd ethics. Fun hard working people. also great job security and oppurtunities for advancement.
Productive Wk Place
Management and Program Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good $
Cons: sequestration 2013
Good to work for the federal government! Great benefits! Learned many things and free training! The people are helpful.
Mail Distribution was on time.
Shipping and mailing clerk of mailroom (Former Employee), Madison, WIFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: good
Cons: fast
Sorting and loading carts with mail that had to be delivered and meeting with all the people on routine basis, and having great time in doing it, hardest part of the job was probably meter mail at the end of the day do to time restraints.
Great Team
Key Operator III (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: team members
Cons: no accountability
You'll walk in and be micro managed by people who know nothing about regulations or structure. There's no accountability, no response, no solutions. Everything will be delegated and lost in translation.
A place to go doing the same thing... over and over every day
ATSS (2101 Series) (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: steady work
Cons: everything except for the steady work.
I was an ATSS for almost 10 years for the FAA. No job advancement, furloughs, and not really a very good job atmosphere. There are folks who love doing the same thing every day, and want no challenges... I am not this type of person, so as far as I am concerned I wasted alot of time here... I did important things, yes, preserving and maintaining the National Airspace system as a technician, but I was never allowed to contribute my talents on a regular basis in the engineering/automation field, so I was bored.
Outstanding place for work and career advancement
Program Manager - Quality Control Group (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: federal employer, veteran friendly
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) supports the safe passage of aircraft from one airport to the destination. Yes, the US has the worlds safest air transportation system in the world. Though the FAA is a highly regulated organization, it is made up of folks that make a difference every day. For the motivated, there are career advancement opportunities and other programs for career progression. If travel is something you enjoy, there is plenty of opportunity to travel.

The FAA culture supports efforts to formally further one's education through adjustable work schedules (AWS) and teleworking.

If you can handle an ever changing organization that is technology driven, the FAA is an excellent employer to consider.
...no potential
Transportation Planner (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 29, 2015
...advancement constrained as is the case with many small offices with few openings or promotions.
Enjoyed working at the FAA and learned so much.
contractor for government (Former Employee), Vandalia, OHJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: learn to make decisions and how to operate a business
Cons: i had to responsible for taxes, insurance and remain 8a eligible.
Management was very cooperative and understanding, especially the contract specialist. I really learned how to operate a business and how to write a contract. The hardest part of the job was when there was a conflict with Air Traffic and SSC. SSC was over the contract but the Air Traffic manager wanted to tell me what to do. The problem was solved when the contract specialist informed everyone about there job. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the controllers everyday. A typical day at work was arriving about 3:oclock and cleaning the tower first, have a chat with the controllers and go down stairs and clean the remainder of the building. when I finished I made sure all doors in the back were locked
LOVE THIS PLACE
Internship (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2015
FAA has a lot of room for growth, you steadily progress. Work environment is fun !
database development aid intern
IT specialist Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 20, 2015
I took part in a team to develop a working and organized database based form submission system for the Department of Transportation Sidewalk
Management using Microsoft Access 2010. My job is to develop a database in which incorporate many aspect of task employee would face in daily basis to
make the task easier to handle and easily tracked. Also, the job involves conducting fieldworks such as surveying the corner locations throughout New York.
Job responsibilities include tracking and updating corner and ramp status using pre-set forms, Microsoft Excel, photos, and other tools. I also record
important files and spend time in the office researching through various databases and program for location information and data.
every meal is a thanksgiving meal and everyday is a holiday
Operation Program Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: alternate work week.
Cons: working 9 days and off one
Another day to excel
Work keeps you busy and out of trouble.
It was either lead , follow or get out of the way.
The co-workers were the audience laughing at the comics of work.
The hardest part of the job was leaving it at the end of the day.
Starting the job at the beginning of the day.
TSA was a great place to work.
Management Support Specialist GS (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2015
The coming from another federal agency to a brand new agency.
It was very exciting. I had to learn about the TSA. It was a great experience and I really enjoyed work there. I met some great people from all over the world. I will never forget my days with TSA.
I recommend this career
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee), Louisville, TNJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: bureaucracy
Working for the government has its perks and its downfalls
Perks are job security and benefits
Downfalls are technology is at least a decade behind the real world as procurement process is bogged down in politics by the time a project comes to fruition, it is already outdated
The agency is also far more reactive then proactive, though efforts have been made of late to lower that threshold.
Great job security
Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2015
Good benefits, great job security, advancement opportunities available highly dependent on what group you end up working with.
Amazing people and fun job
Airway Transportation System Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I worked with amazing people and enjoyed working on something different everyday. It was hard work and I learned a lot. It was worth the 2 year wait to get in, but job security is a problem.
Horrible schedules - no family life.
Air Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 3, 2015
Way under paid for the responsibilities.

Expect you to work rotating shifts and crazy hours and move your shifts around daily.

Erratic schedules. No free time. Very seniority based. No room for new ideas and innovation

1 2 3 4 5