Department of Transportation

Department of Transportation Employer Reviews

Great Job to have
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Centennial, CONovember 21, 2014
The job was a great job to have. The higher up people and politics where very hard to work with and follow. The FAA is a good ole boys type of environment. If they like you they help you. If they don't like you then they do everything they can to get rid of you.
Fun workplace with gym to keep you in shape
Records Management (Former Employee), Queens, NYNovember 11, 2014
Pros: free lunches, great holiday times
Cons: longeivity
Administrative work or assisting to co workers. Learn different software pertaining to purpose of the organization.
The most enjoyable part of the day
Driver 1/ labor (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 10, 2014
Making sure that all jobs were complete for the day to assure that people had st.lights that were working in various locations around Baltimore city
easy work relaxed work place
Traffic Sign Worker (Former Employee), Whiteville, NCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: easy light work
we repaired or replaced signs sometimes we would get a call to go out in the middle of the night to replace a stop sign
Great Company
Traffic Control Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great company
Great People, Team Environment. Management willing to help you grow and advance.
Complicated and mostly rewarding Federal job that taught me alot about Govt. and commercial business practices
Program Manager/Lead Technician (Former Employee), Independence, MOOctober 25, 2014
A typical day at work would be assisting with design and build issues such as clearance for a particular part of finding and designing a tool die to punch or press metal for a specific application or reviewing circuit board plots to determine if requirements have been met or dealing with the contract lead on billing issues for the previous months labor – more... invoice or maybe determining the final specs for a communications trailer we were having built by an outside contractor or participating in a safety inspection or violation abatement.
I learned to not be intimidated by new things and that change isn't always good or bad, it's just change and has to be processed and dealt with on it's own terms. I learned to handle a vast variety of things and to keep swinging, never giving up on your way to success. I also learned to deal with and get along with a variety of personalities from management to peers to subordinates.
Management at the FAA was all over the board. Some were good and some were not so good but it really doesn't matter because the job is still before you and has to be accomplished one way or another. Adaptability and understanding the needs of others is key to success.
Co-workers also varied in the service of the federal govt. Some were good and some were horrible and everything in between. The hardest part is dealing with people you don't supervise but still need to get work out of to accomplish a goal. Learning to motivate people who have nothing tangible to gain by pleasing you is a difficult task.
The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable were the same, learning to accomplish goals you are not specifically trained to do and which keep changing from one time to the next and often while you are working on them. This is difficult but also rewarding and always different so that you never quite know what you will get on any given day. – less
great place to work
Transportation Student Trainee (Former Employee), Auburn, WAOctober 19, 2014
can work in groups or individually. can easily find instructions on help to complete tasks.
Good experience
Trainee (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2014
Great experience

Fun work

Difficult to transfer

Average instruction
Can be a productive and fun place to work at times.
Graphic Artist/Sign Designer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 9, 2014
Pros: good health plan
Cons: cost of living raises
*take care of all emergency jobs that may be on hot list (signage)
*Learn new software technics during a low in work.
*Management needs improvement in people skills.
*Some co-workers are a pleasure to work with each day.
*Communication with other departments coordinating work orders.
*I get to create Graphics.
a nice place to work and enviornment was good.
Pilot Driver (Former Employee), Wilson, NCOctober 7, 2014
work was steady, not too hard but you had to be careful. supervisors was well informed with different jobs. co-workers was fun to work with. the hardest part was trying not to get stuck with staples or paper cuts. the dinners and family day was very enjoyable along with playing basketball for the company.
I was an independent consultant on a videodisc production project for FAA in Oklahoma.
Independent Consultant (Former Employee), Lawton, OklahomaOctober 2, 2014
Pros: i loved the work, the people, and i learned a great deal about airport safety!
Cons: the flight to lawton, ok was often a bit "rocky" due to high winds in texas and oklahoma, expecially on a small plane!
As a consultant for the FAA in Oklahoma, I worked with instructors from the University of Oklahoma who were developing a course on Airport safety procedures and standards which was eventually produced for interactive videodisc delivery. I met with the group once a month in Oklahoma until the course was mastered and my obligation as a consultant was – more... no longer needed. It was a very interesting project! – less
The Place To Work For
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 1, 2014
At the US Department of Transportation, Pipeline -- Engineering, I was a contracted through UNISPEC Enterprises, a very prestige company. I took on the role as a Senior Administrative Assistant executing many different tasks and working with Stat Invitational Travelers, and other executive administrative duties. I learned a lot form tis position because – more... it not only enabled me to learn new skills but also enhanced my current core competencies. I was able to express professional attributes with very high profile professionals. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was productive and helped many with the tasks I was given and completed them and went above and beyond my duties. – less
Productive govt office
Correspondence Analyst/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington dcOctober 1, 2014
Pros: government job
Cons: no room for advancement and office management was poor.
Good place to work. But too much change over every couple of years.
Good job, great workplace
Lead Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MISeptember 27, 2014
Pros: technical challenges
Cons: working under tight deadlines
Fixing aircraft for a living was rewarding in itself, however the work community made it special. Everyone made time for other employees who might need a temporary hand with a project.

Hardest part of job was technical, the many electronic systems and computers would cause symptoms in related parts of other systems, troubleshooting could be extremely – more... difficult at times. Or when a pilot would complain of a system not working, but you could not duplicate it on the ground.

My most memorable time was to fix a problem even our own engineering staff could not troubleshoot... like when the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) interfered with nose wheel steering on the Lear 60 aircraft.

Managent made some demands which were not sensible, but would help them do their jobs, slowing us down by complying with the new procedures they would want to implement. – less
good work
Human Facors Engineer/Researcher (Former Employee), Atlantic City, NJSeptember 22, 2014
OK. Just like anywhere else and a lot better than many private companies.
You have to take the good with the bad.
Much of the work was very interesting
Very stressful job with a lot of responsibility, peoples lives are on the line
Airway Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), South San Francisco, CASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good benefits, free public trans.
Cons: horrible schedule, rotating shifts, non-flexable hours
Very stressful job that you are not adequately compensated for.
Very intense training that is long and strenuous in Oklahoma City.
Not a good position for people with families or people that would like to spend time with their family.
productive environment
Clerical Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
An enjoyable experience. You really feel like a team. The supervisors and directors are very understanding.
PC correctness is the lip synch.
Security Assessor (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: they have a good sick leave donation policy for those who could use the help.
Cons: got to protect your turf, despite what is best for all.
Its the government , what more is there to say. In the service you know where you stand. Your work and ethic stands by itself.Its amazing how those who have military service soon join the bureaucracy.
Great Entry level work for the young professional
Course Training Specialist (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 11, 2014
Its a fun work family environment with tons to learn. A great entry level position that can open major doors if you are willing to learn. Great for College students starting out looking for their path.
Productive workplace reporting to the US Secreatry of Transportation
Senior Executive Service (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: private jet travel
Cons: short notice on travel
My typical day involved manging over 900 employees and 25 managers. I traveled all over the world speaking and representing the U.S. Department of Transportation.
I had an excellent management staff that reported directly to me.
I managed a very large budget including each department budget.
The hardest part of my job was on call travel with little – more... notice to prepare. I never complained.
The most enjoyable part of my job was public speaking and rasing community awareness. – less

1 2 3 4 5