Department of Transportation

Department of Transportation Employer Reviews

great place to work
Transportation Student Trainee (Former Employee), Auburn, WAOctober 19, 2014
can work in groups or individually. can easily find instructions on help to complete tasks.
Good experience
Trainee (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKOctober 11, 2014
Great experience

Fun work

Difficult to transfer

Average instruction
Can be a productive and fun place to work at times.
Graphic Artist/Sign Designer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 9, 2014
Pros: good health plan
Cons: cost of living raises
*take care of all emergency jobs that may be on hot list (signage)
*Learn new software technics during a low in work.
*Management needs improvement in people skills.
*Some co-workers are a pleasure to work with each day.
*Communication with other departments coordinating work orders.
*I get to create Graphics.
a nice place to work and enviornment was good.
Pilot Driver (Former Employee), Wilson, NCOctober 7, 2014
work was steady, not too hard but you had to be careful. supervisors was well informed with different jobs. co-workers was fun to work with. the hardest part was trying not to get stuck with staples or paper cuts. the dinners and family day was very enjoyable along with playing basketball for the company.
I was an independent consultant on a videodisc production project for FAA in Oklahoma.
Independent Consultant (Former Employee), Lawton, OklahomaOctober 2, 2014
Pros: i loved the work, the people, and i learned a great deal about airport safety!
Cons: the flight to lawton, ok was often a bit "rocky" due to high winds in texas and oklahoma, expecially on a small plane!
As a consultant for the FAA in Oklahoma, I worked with instructors from the University of Oklahoma who were developing a course on Airport safety procedures and standards which was eventually produced for interactive videodisc delivery. I met with the group once a month in Oklahoma until the course was mastered and my obligation as a consultant was – more... no longer needed. It was a very interesting project! – less
The Place To Work For
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 1, 2014
At the US Department of Transportation, Pipeline -- Engineering, I was a contracted through UNISPEC Enterprises, a very prestige company. I took on the role as a Senior Administrative Assistant executing many different tasks and working with Stat Invitational Travelers, and other executive administrative duties. I learned a lot form tis position because – more... it not only enabled me to learn new skills but also enhanced my current core competencies. I was able to express professional attributes with very high profile professionals. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was productive and helped many with the tasks I was given and completed them and went above and beyond my duties. – less
Productive govt office
Correspondence Analyst/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington dcOctober 1, 2014
Pros: government job
Cons: no room for advancement and office management was poor.
Good place to work. But too much change over every couple of years.
Good job, great workplace
Lead Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MISeptember 27, 2014
Pros: technical challenges
Cons: working under tight deadlines
Fixing aircraft for a living was rewarding in itself, however the work community made it special. Everyone made time for other employees who might need a temporary hand with a project.

Hardest part of job was technical, the many electronic systems and computers would cause symptoms in related parts of other systems, troubleshooting could be extremely – more... difficult at times. Or when a pilot would complain of a system not working, but you could not duplicate it on the ground.

My most memorable time was to fix a problem even our own engineering staff could not troubleshoot... like when the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) interfered with nose wheel steering on the Lear 60 aircraft.

Managent made some demands which were not sensible, but would help them do their jobs, slowing us down by complying with the new procedures they would want to implement. – less
good work
Human Facors Engineer/Researcher (Former Employee), Atlantic City, NJSeptember 22, 2014
OK. Just like anywhere else and a lot better than many private companies.
You have to take the good with the bad.
Much of the work was very interesting
Very stressful job with a lot of responsibility, peoples lives are on the line
Airway Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), South San Francisco, CASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good benefits, free public trans.
Cons: horrible schedule, rotating shifts, non-flexable hours
Very stressful job that you are not adequately compensated for.
Very intense training that is long and strenuous in Oklahoma City.
Not a good position for people with families or people that would like to spend time with their family.
productive environment
Clerical Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
An enjoyable experience. You really feel like a team. The supervisors and directors are very understanding.
PC correctness is the lip synch.
Security Assessor (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: they have a good sick leave donation policy for those who could use the help.
Cons: got to protect your turf, despite what is best for all.
Its the government , what more is there to say. In the service you know where you stand. Your work and ethic stands by itself.Its amazing how those who have military service soon join the bureaucracy.
Great Entry level work for the young professional
Course Training Specialist (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 11, 2014
Its a fun work family environment with tons to learn. A great entry level position that can open major doors if you are willing to learn. Great for College students starting out looking for their path.
Productive workplace reporting to the US Secreatry of Transportation
Senior Executive Service (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: private jet travel
Cons: short notice on travel
My typical day involved manging over 900 employees and 25 managers. I traveled all over the world speaking and representing the U.S. Department of Transportation.
I had an excellent management staff that reported directly to me.
I managed a very large budget including each department budget.
The hardest part of my job was on call travel with little – more... notice to prepare. I never complained.
The most enjoyable part of my job was public speaking and rasing community awareness. – less
Great Startup
Accounts Receivables Supervisor (Former Employee), Laredo, TXSeptember 8, 2014
Fun environment, great employees, awesome management.
Ok Pay. Many veteran employees. Not to many perks for employees
down fall is one owner no motivation to grow or opportunity within.
Air Traffic Control at various towers throughout Michigan and Ohio
Air Traffic Controller FNT ARB PTK TOL (Former Employee), Swanton (Toledo) OhioSeptember 3, 2014
Learned a multitude of skills working for the FAA

Hardest part of the job was the shift changes.
Fun workplace and pleasant
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), McLean, VASeptember 2, 2014
The company was very professional and full of learning experiences. The entire team demonstrated the exact definition of being a "TEAM."
Great place to be
Office Automaton Clerk/Intern (Current Employee), Washington D.CAugust 30, 2014
Working for D.O.T was a great experience for me as a college student being an intern because I had to learn on the fly and make sure I provided the best customer service possible. I am a administrative assistant or office automation clerk; I worked closely with the director of training when setting up training courses for internal and external government – more... employees. – less
enjoyed coming in to work
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee), shreveportAugust 22, 2014
Pros: enviroment, work experience
Cons: pay
I learned how to place orders, use a fork-lift, travel. The management was great, there was only three of us in the office and we got along great. The hardest part of this job was getting out in all types of weather, delivering parts. The most enjoyable was the company. My supervisor and I still communicates.
DOT
Software Specilist (Current Employee), Pomona, NJAugust 20, 2014
Great Place to work for.

Very nice people to work with and very helpful crowd.

Great benfits.

No Long term disability available.

1 2 3 4 5