Department of Transportation

Department of Transportation Employer Reviews

Enjoyed working at the FAA and learned so much.
contractor for government (Former Employee), Vandalia, OHJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: learn to make decisions and how to operate a business
Cons: i had to responsible for taxes, insurance and remain 8a eligible.
Management was very cooperative and understanding, especially the contract specialist. I really learned how to operate a business and how to write a contract. The hardest part of the job was when there was a conflict with Air Traffic and SSC. SSC was over the contract but the Air Traffic manager wanted to tell me what to do. The problem was solved when the contract specialist informed everyone about there job. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the controllers everyday. A typical day at work was arriving about 3:oclock and cleaning the tower first, have a chat with the controllers and go down stairs and clean the remainder of the building. when I finished I made sure all doors in the back were locked
LOVE THIS PLACE
Internship (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2015
FAA has a lot of room for growth, you steadily progress. Work environment is fun !
database development aid intern
IT specialist Intern (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 20, 2015
I took part in a team to develop a working and organized database based form submission system for the Department of Transportation Sidewalk
Management using Microsoft Access 2010. My job is to develop a database in which incorporate many aspect of task employee would face in daily basis to
make the task easier to handle and easily tracked. Also, the job involves conducting fieldworks such as surveying the corner locations throughout New York.
Job responsibilities include tracking and updating corner and ramp status using pre-set forms, Microsoft Excel, photos, and other tools. I also record
important files and spend time in the office researching through various databases and program for location information and data.
every meal is a thanksgiving meal and everyday is a holiday
Operation Program Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: alternate work week.
Cons: working 9 days and off one
Another day to excel
Work keeps you busy and out of trouble.
It was either lead , follow or get out of the way.
The co-workers were the audience laughing at the comics of work.
The hardest part of the job was leaving it at the end of the day.
Starting the job at the beginning of the day.
TSA was a great place to work.
Management Support Specialist GS (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2015
The coming from another federal agency to a brand new agency.
It was very exciting. I had to learn about the TSA. It was a great experience and I really enjoyed work there. I met some great people from all over the world. I will never forget my days with TSA.
I recommend this career
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee), Louisville, TNJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: bureaucracy
Working for the government has its perks and its downfalls
Perks are job security and benefits
Downfalls are technology is at least a decade behind the real world as procurement process is bogged down in politics by the time a project comes to fruition, it is already outdated
The agency is also far more reactive then proactive, though efforts have been made of late to lower that threshold.
Great job security
Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2015
Good benefits, great job security, advancement opportunities available highly dependent on what group you end up working with.
Amazing people and fun job
Airway Transportation System Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I worked with amazing people and enjoyed working on something different everyday. It was hard work and I learned a lot. It was worth the 2 year wait to get in, but job security is a problem.
Horrible schedules - no family life.
Air Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 3, 2015
Way under paid for the responsibilities.

Expect you to work rotating shifts and crazy hours and move your shifts around daily.

Erratic schedules. No free time. Very seniority based. No room for new ideas and innovation
fantastic opportunity
Quality Program Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 28, 2014
The FAA has a great support staff and co workers. Outstanding corporate ideology. Enjoy helping buyers and sellers with a significant decision.
Senior Administrative Support I (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 23, 2014
Customer Service, Renew Lease terms and conditions, Its great working or the Federal Government
Productive and fun place to work
Clerical/Secretary/Customer Service (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 21, 2014
I was a stay-in-school student and was taught the basics on how to operate and use a Wang computer system.
It was a good paying job
Licensed Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 20, 2014
Pros: fly at a cheap rate
Cons: availability seat flying
Get assignments, do the work,finish the jobs, get more assignments to do, then got assignment of taking care of the laboratories. Try my best no matter what the job was. Management was management. Some you could get help from some you couldn't. Doing jobs I hadn't done before. Money, good benefits, and going home at the end of the day to my family.
Very enjoyable
Management and Program Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 16, 2014
I love working for Department of Transportation. They have flexible work schedules, excellent organizational structure and a continuously interesting workload.
Productive and fun
Systems Specialist (Former Employee), Oakland, CADecember 16, 2014
As an experienced System Specialist, I command an overall, in-depth knowledge of all assigned equipment, technical ability to verify service/system integrity to prevent failures and forecast a need for intervention to maintain services. If failure of system or subsystem occurs, I have the proven ability to isolate any problems due to my extensive knowledge of systems. Inspection of all units is a requirement to keep all equipment at peak performance.
Productive and fun
DMV-Transportation Tourism Counselor (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, PADecember 16, 2014
Pros: meeting great people
typical day at work is prioritizing work flow
Providing GREAT customer service to customers
Knowing information’s to provide to tourist
Working closely with co-workers to help tourist get to their destinations
The most enjoyable part of my job is providing Great customer service to customers.
Meeting great people that’s traveling in and out of the state of PA
Federal Highway Administration is a unique branch.
Legal Extern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 12, 2014
Great supervisor for a semester externship. Mostly FOIA work, but great insight into government work.
Enjoyed Secretarial work.
Secretary (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FL (Federal Aviation Admin.)December 12, 2014
Typing, filing, answering phone for Manager and Techs. Great friendship with the other secretaries in the group. Typed Travel Authorizations/Travel Vouchers/Personnel Actions, etc for Techs, Managers and others in our district. The hardest part of the job was getting behind on my daily duties when there were so many phone calls. I compensated by staying after hours (no overtime) to catch up. That helped me start with a clean slate the next day. Actually, I really enjoyed the challenge.
loved the job
Housekeeping (Former Employee), Palm Coast, FLDecember 8, 2014
wish it didnt shut down.
love meeting new people from all across the world
Very laidback and quiet
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 2, 2014
A very laidback job. The workload was never too much and the staff was very friendly

1 2 3 4 5