Department of Transportation

Department of Transportation Employer Reviews

Good job, great workplace
Lead Avionics Technician (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MISeptember 27, 2014
Pros: technical challenges
Cons: working under tight deadlines
Fixing aircraft for a living was rewarding in itself, however the work community made it special. Everyone made time for other employees who might need a temporary hand with a project.

Hardest part of job was technical, the many electronic systems and computers would cause symptoms in related parts of other systems, troubleshooting could be extremely – more... difficult at times. Or when a pilot would complain of a system not working, but you could not duplicate it on the ground.

My most memorable time was to fix a problem even our own engineering staff could not troubleshoot... like when the Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) interfered with nose wheel steering on the Lear 60 aircraft.

Managent made some demands which were not sensible, but would help them do their jobs, slowing us down by complying with the new procedures they would want to implement. – less
good work
Human Facors Engineer/Researcher (Former Employee), Atlantic City, NJSeptember 22, 2014
OK. Just like anywhere else and a lot better than many private companies.
You have to take the good with the bad.
Much of the work was very interesting
Very stressful job with a lot of responsibility, peoples lives are on the line
Airway Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), South San Francisco, CASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good benefits, free public trans.
Cons: horrible schedule, rotating shifts, non-flexable hours
Very stressful job that you are not adequately compensated for.
Very intense training that is long and strenuous in Oklahoma City.
Not a good position for people with families or people that would like to spend time with their family.
productive environment
Clerical Aide (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
An enjoyable experience. You really feel like a team. The supervisors and directors are very understanding.
PC correctness is the lip synch.
Security Assessor (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: they have a good sick leave donation policy for those who could use the help.
Cons: got to protect your turf, despite what is best for all.
Its the government , what more is there to say. In the service you know where you stand. Your work and ethic stands by itself.Its amazing how those who have military service soon join the bureaucracy.
Great Entry level work for the young professional
Course Training Specialist (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 11, 2014
Its a fun work family environment with tons to learn. A great entry level position that can open major doors if you are willing to learn. Great for College students starting out looking for their path.
Productive workplace reporting to the US Secreatry of Transportation
Senior Executive Service (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: private jet travel
Cons: short notice on travel
My typical day involved manging over 900 employees and 25 managers. I traveled all over the world speaking and representing the U.S. Department of Transportation.
I had an excellent management staff that reported directly to me.
I managed a very large budget including each department budget.
The hardest part of my job was on call travel with little – more... notice to prepare. I never complained.
The most enjoyable part of my job was public speaking and rasing community awareness. – less
Great Startup
Accounts Receivables Supervisor (Former Employee), Laredo, TXSeptember 8, 2014
Fun environment, great employees, awesome management.
Ok Pay. Many veteran employees. Not to many perks for employees
down fall is one owner no motivation to grow or opportunity within.
Air Traffic Control at various towers throughout Michigan and Ohio
Air Traffic Controller FNT ARB PTK TOL (Former Employee), Swanton (Toledo) OhioSeptember 3, 2014
Learned a multitude of skills working for the FAA

Hardest part of the job was the shift changes.
Fun workplace and pleasant
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), McLean, VASeptember 2, 2014
The company was very professional and full of learning experiences. The entire team demonstrated the exact definition of being a "TEAM."
Great place to be
Office Automaton Clerk/Intern (Current Employee), Washington D.CAugust 30, 2014
Working for D.O.T was a great experience for me as a college student being an intern because I had to learn on the fly and make sure I provided the best customer service possible. I am a administrative assistant or office automation clerk; I worked closely with the director of training when setting up training courses for internal and external government – more... employees. – less
enjoyed coming in to work
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee), shreveportAugust 22, 2014
Pros: enviroment, work experience
Cons: pay
I learned how to place orders, use a fork-lift, travel. The management was great, there was only three of us in the office and we got along great. The hardest part of this job was getting out in all types of weather, delivering parts. The most enjoyable was the company. My supervisor and I still communicates.
DOT
Software Specilist (Current Employee), Pomona, NJAugust 20, 2014
Great Place to work for.

Very nice people to work with and very helpful crowd.

Great benfits.

No Long term disability available.
Aviation Safety
Aviation Safety Assistant (Current Employee), Van Nuys, CAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: benefits and work life
Cons: government bureaucracy
It has been an immense experience to be working with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). This position has shown me it is essential for management to understand how government agencies impact the aviation industry and stakeholders.
Fun place to work with corporate America and traveling benefits
Assistant Agency Account Manager (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 13, 2014
A typical day at work consist of traveling to different states and meeting all kinds of government employee's.

You learned how to manage Multi-million dollar accounts as well as to be timely and efficent in your management skills.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to travel to see different states they you may never got a chance to visit on your – more... own. – less
My Review
Air Traffic Operation/Tower Administration Intern (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOAugust 10, 2014
Understanding of its purpose and functions of the agency, Open Door Policy, and recruitment at fairs
Typical Federal Agency
Program Development Team Leader (Former Employee), Multiple locationsAugust 6, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: some of the leadership.
Like most government positions it has its perks and down sides. For the majority of people in the agency they are dedicated and easy to work for and with. They take pride in their work and in serving their country. The agency offers good advancement as long as you apply yourself and learn the culture within the agency. I was able to travel and work – more... in several states as well as working with individuals from other federal agencies, state/local agencies, the public, cabinet members, congressional representatives, and private sector business owners. The hardest part of the job was the lack of funding and the political maneuvering that takes place within the federal government. The most rewarding and enjoyable part of the job was working with people of diverse groups, building relationships, and seeing projects completed that helped the community, city, state, and country. – less
Good benefits
Secretary and Medical Program Assistant (Former Employee), Oberlin, OhioJuly 31, 2014
Overall this was a wonderful place to work. Nice people, great benefits but limited opportunities for advancement
N/A
Program Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2014
Interesting experience has pros and cons very different work enviroment
Wonderful place to work with great co-workers and clients alike.
Test Driver (Former Employee), Pinellas Park, FLJuly 30, 2014
I liked this job because I enjoy driving. I learned how the toll booths worked. I worked with great people. The hardest part of the job was waiting to start the testing, which entailed waiting. This job was all about driving which made it the best part of my day.

1 2 3 4 5