Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Excellent Career and unlimited growth potential
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee), Manchester, NHAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Good Pay and Benefits
Cons: Rotating shifts and do not always have weekends off
Rewarding job! Worked with a highly intelligent workforce. The hardest part of the job was the rotating schedule.
You work with the airlines and pilots on a daily basis. Helping a pilot out of a bad situation is very rewarding.
During my 24 years with the FAA Ive seen management swings to the extreme. We had some very bad to awesome managers and supervisors.
Throughly enjoyed my career with the Federal Aviation Administration
Computer Specialist/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Lubbock, TexasAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, professional environment, excellent pay
Cons: None
A typical day at work was an enjoyable atmosphere of professionals. As the computer specialist I learned the skill set of all aspects of computers (desktops, laptops, and servers). I've never not used my administrative skills in this job, answering telephones, data entry, typing, etc. The management personnel up until I retire was over the top as were my co-workers. My job was not hard at all. I enjoy working and helping people. My last assignment was in the customer service area when I found challenging and rewarding.
Worked for 10+yrs
Finance Clerk (Former Employee), San Juan, PRAugust 9, 2015
Cons: Political office
Great place for working depending on your will to move forward and learn new skills from other Dept. and duties. It a self growth place.
Productive, high learning experience.
Compliance Officer (Current Employee), Tampa FLAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible, great work ethics
Cons: Pay, high risk job
Its a great place to work at if you have a second income or a student. Management is great and understanding, at least where I work at. Good benefits.
At times is a high risk job, you can encounter all different people with different background, and have to adjust to each one of them.
Provide air traffic control services
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Best career ever, great benefits, pay and time off
Cons: rotating shifts, 24/7/365 type job
Worked rotating shifts, 40 hour work weeks.. Worked in a combined tower/TRACON facility where we provided separation/ATC services to air traffic in and around the Colorado Springs Area.

In addition to my regular duties, I worked on my own time and expenses to make General Aviation better in the southern Colorado arena. I host safety seminars for pilots by organizing a Saturday program twice a year for pilots to attend and get continuing education credits for. I currently serve as a FAA Safety Team counselor and meet with pilots to help them better understand air traffic control and to talk better on the radio.
Overworked, military style workplace, toxic enviroment. good things are: Paid time off, Health care and 401K, stability
Manager Program Assistant (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Time off, annual and sick leave, 401K, Heathcare
Cons: Only 1 30 minute lunch no other breaks, Military Managers, Not a friendly atmosphere.
Paid time off, 401K. At work I am doing everything the managers do not have time to do. I have learned about contracts and completing inventories and budgeting. Managers are post military and treat you as if you are in the military, loud voices, demanding and disrespectful. Not a very friendly place to work.
Hardest part of the job is the mutiple tasks the managers keep putting on the manager program assistants. I am overworked and they want us to do even more, with no pay increase. I am not a technician but managers want us to be responsible for the equipment inventories.
The most enjoyable is I am often in the office alone so I can concentrate on my duties. I can listen to music with headphones and tune out the the chaos.
productive
Maintenance worker (Current Employee), millidgeville gaAugust 5, 2015
Your always able to learn some new . The hardest part of the job really can be the weather . The most enjoyable thing about the job is that everyone has a story to tell
Dream Job
En Route Radar Controller (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2015
Best job anyone could ever ask for. Great and amazing benefits. Love aviation. This jobs will never get old or boring. Get to meet great people. Just be prepared to move wherever. Pay is great.
Quality Service to all levels of offices
Administrative Assistant Secretary (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 25, 2015
As administrative assistant to several government offices for 30 years, I have worked with many people. Our Oklahoma City FAA manager showed us how important it is to give quality assistance to everyone within your immediate office and quality assistance to all other offices. We all thrived on the positive attitudes. Personally, I had a great sense of accomplishment when I would complete a project and present it to the manager or to another office..
Great places to work with supportive management.
Serene Working Atmosphere
GIS Intern (Current Employee), Ames, IowaJuly 23, 2015
Pros: People are very friendly and considerate
Cons: Less Salary
A wonderful place to work with great people around. Less scope of personal growth, especially when you are working as a trainee.
Great Place to Work
Management & Program Analyst, GS-14 (Current Employee), Herndon, VAJuly 20, 2015
I enjoy working here. The management is great, I'm able to work interdependently and the workload is reasonable. I would recommend this job to others.
Clerk Assistant
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Washington DCJuly 17, 2015
• Filed correspondence
• Greet and assisted visitors in a courteous manner
• Answered phones in a courteous manner
• Recorded messages accurately
• Directed calls and respond to inquiries
• Scheduled appointments for meeting and reserved conference rooms
• Provided information in general nature.
• Compiled and maintained records of business transactions and office activities of establishment, performed variety of following or similar clerical duties and utilizing knowledge of systems or procedures: Copied data and compiled records and reports.
• Managed confidential information.
Reasonable
Inspector III/Scan Technician (Current Employee), Lawton, OKJuly 14, 2015
Office setting with high computer usage. The management I would describe as typical but fair and understanding. the only thing I disagree with is the ability for advancement!
I learned there is a lot involved with installing and removing non-working or new streetlights and what it takes to clean city streets in the winter.
Data Entry Operator II (Current Employee), Baltimore MDJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Work was straightforward.
Cons: Not enough to keep me busy throughout the day.
Nice place to work but little room to grow. By it beingCity employment, I had to take tests, get on lists and wait for a call for an interview. So the process of advancement for me was pretty slow.
Heavy workload with aggressive advancement potential if you want to move to Colorado
(DOT) Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland MSJuly 8, 2015
Review DQ files while answering DOT questions from locations across the country. We have built a great team in the DOT office and will miss each of them as we are transitioned to new businesses.
A Good place to work
Director of Civil Rights (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 5, 2015
Pros: I worked in a new building that was easy to commute to.
Cons: More resources were needed.
A typical work day was busy. I was responsible for all the aspects of the civil rights division at my agency. I learned how to successfully prioritize my work so that the most pressing work got done first.

I worked with management successfully so that they knew what their responsibilities were in regard to workplace civil rights concerns. Other managers were my co-workers and I learned how to schedule my time with them to best get tasks done. The most enjoyable part of my job was when employees and managers were able to work out their differences and not file complaints. I accomplished this by utilizing mediation.
Careless for their employees
Air Traffic Controller Trainee (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 1, 2015
They don't care for their employees .
Their return rate is really high and they take it out of their employees commission
The managers stress their employees out so bad to very tough points..
One of my favorite places I have worked
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee), Bend, OR 97701June 26, 2015
Pros: able to come and go as needed. Questions got answered within a timely matter.
Cons: I was not able to get insurance there
I enjoyed working for ODOT. I worked with all different types of people. When ever I needed anything, like a new computer I had it pretty much the next day. ODOT is a place you could advance in. I learned a lot of things working there. My co-workers and I made a great team.
This is a great place to work. Great people and lots of opportunities.
Management and Program Analyst (FV-343-H) (Current Employee), Renton, WAJune 26, 2015
Pros: Coffee shop and Gym located in building
Cons: Constantly changing resources
A typical work day begins early with a long commute and beginning work at 6 a.m. I check all emails since the day before and then begin running reports to ensure there are no issues with schedule or budgets for all projects that I monitor for the Western Service Area.

During my time at the FAA I have had many opportunities to strengthen my leadership skills. I love helping others succeed so obtaining a management position is in my future.

My direct management is great to work with. My recent manager really cared about her team, knew the business of the FAA and what our team is all about and allowed us to succeed. The majority of my co-workers are also great. There is such a great feeling of inclusion at the Service Center.

The hardest part of my job is probably that all the tools we use don't talk to one another so there is a lot of repetition in our work.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my team members and knowing I have a part in keeping the flying public safe.
Great job to have
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Tecumseh KSJune 23, 2015
Pros: I felt good about a job well done at the end of the day.
Cons: There was nothing that I did not like about this job.
I would to in to work every morning and post payments. Around 9:00 I would go the post office and pick up the mail which included the payments. Then I would take them back to the office, open the payments, organize them so I could post them, post them. That would take most of the day. Then I would run all the daily reports and distribute them to all of my bosses. I loved my job with Central Mortgage Co. The people their were great to me. The most enjoyable part of my job was the whole job. I loved everything about it.