Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place with sport activities such as baseball.
Administrative Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2016
The work day passed quickly due to big load work. I am learning how to behave and work as a team with my co-workers. Management is very good, friendly, cooperative. Meantime, I am meeting the company requirements, codes of behavior, etc. I am feeling very good in such good working atmosphere. However, professional grows is limited, although, I did take and passed all professional exams that are were offered to me. Besides, my salary get is stuck somewhere in the middle of its scale.
Military
Customer Service Specialist/Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCJanuary 31, 2016
We experienced heavy call volume during certain times of the day. It was emotional knowing some midshipmen were now deceased while speaking with their family members.
Great workplace with fun and nice employees
Summer Temp (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 27, 2016
I worked at two different locations where I was a land surveyor and roadway inspector. When surveying land, the job could be physically difficult, however it was a great learning experience in the construction and layout of various roadway structures. When I was a roadway inspector, I learned many of the construction practices and techniques used for different roads and different materials. At both locations, the co-workers were extremely nice as well as the resident engineers. Overall I had a great experience working for the DOT.
Overall I would recommend working at DOT
Clerical Associate III (Former Employee) –  Queens Boulevard CourthouseJanuary 27, 2016
DOT is a very interesting place to work. With the right leadership, it can offer opportunities for growth and training.
Pros
Growth abounds
Cons
You need the right connections to grow
productive friendly teamwork atmosphere
City Worker (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLJanuary 25, 2016
a typical day at work would consist of pressure washing, painting, digging trenches, and filling in pot holes with lime rock
Pros
free lunches
Not a good place to work for
office support (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTJanuary 22, 2016
Work hard with no incentive by supervisor.
Learned not to trust union representatives.
Managers do not support employees
Co-workers are fake, back stabbing, selfish.
The hardest part of the job was service ratings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the holidays.
great job
program manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Great job with an expandable plate for handling as many national items as you are able to support. Indoctrinates true corporate culture and readies you for either a career with them or to strike out on your own with a wealth of experience.
Pros
many
Quiet environment
Clerk-Typist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2016
Deceit place to work, Good working environment. Communication between management and staff are excellent. I would recommend employment with the Department of Transportation. Convenient to public transportation.
Always something new
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIJanuary 9, 2016
I was always learning something new. Each customer that I worked with had something a little different for the same products and services. My co-workers are very helpful when I needed help. I would love to work with them again.
Productive environment
Commissioner Correspondent Unit/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  55 water streetJanuary 8, 2016
High priority correspondence from Elected Officials escalated for immediate response, created and maintained filing system of all data.
Review emails from operational unit for immediate data entry & update cases.
phone calls

Want to know more about Department of Transportation?

Ask a question
Enjoyed working very mch
ATCS/Planning & Requirements Specialist (Former Employee) –  College Park, GAJanuary 7, 2016
Good employers and enjoyed working where ever I was assigned.

Jobs were stressful for most but I loved the work.

Controlling air planes was a natural thing for me but not all co-workers felt that way.

Enjoyed being a manager at Home Depot, dealing with the customers, and the challenge of running a retail business.
The job is motivating.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCDecember 21, 2015
Love everyone I work with. I do basic office work. Payroll, insurance, retirement, invoices, phone calls, contracts. Answer questions from the public or direct them to the correct person who can answer their questions.
Productive and fun place to work
Secretary III (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 17, 2015
Had a blast, time for something new. My co-workers were some of the best but the hardest part of my job was keeping up with things that I was not made aware of.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
short breaks
Productive and Professional Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2015
A typical day at DOT consist of sitting at your desk typing majority of the day. I am a person that enjoys sitting and researching and gaining knowledge of new things. Filing papers or sorting mail and distributing mail. The hardest part of the job was not dosing off to sleep from looking at the computer all day. My co-workers are very patient and make sure we were team players.
Pros
Monday thru Friday openings
Cons
Short breaks
great career if you can handle it
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Longmont, CODecember 9, 2015
the work life balance of an air traffic controller is awful. You will workever every night, weekend and holidays for the first 20 years of your career.
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHDecember 7, 2015
Laid back work place with very supportive and understanding management. Very Productive environment plenty to keep you busy. I really enjoy our friendly environment and team player attitudes.
Pros
Flexibility in work schedules, and lunch.
Cons
No room for growth, and not much diversity.
helping coustmers
Office Associate/Information Clerk/Processor (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WINovember 18, 2015
It is a face pace job that keeps you on your feet always learning new things I enjoyed it very much it was never a dull moument it was one of my most enjoyable job ive ever had
Pros
lots if things to learn
Cons
sometime you were fourced to go to other stations to help
Awsome Job
Equipment Operator 3 (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GANovember 17, 2015
Loved everyday of every year employed there. Were as much to dislike as any job. But, over all. The job as a whole as well as other co workers are very dynamic place to work at and with.
Pros
The job itself
Cons
higher management
A good experience working for the Local Government
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 16, 2015
I just moved to the area and applied for a position at the Local Government, it was a good learning experience for me. I was a receptionist for the director's office, I answered phones, direct calls, process the mail and was giving other duties as assigned.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
Being an essential for imclement weather.
Air Traffic Controll
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2015
worked as ATC controller as well as a manager Responsible for the safe orderly and expeditios flow of air traffic into and out of a Level V terminal facility
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Shift work, weekends and holidays

4.2