Department of Transportation

Department of Transportation United States Employee Reviews

Flexibility and Independence
Midwest Sales Trainer (Current Employee), Detroit, MIApril 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule working in the field.
Cons: Worked through a third party without benefits.
I wish to advance and transition my career in a law related
position to conduct case work.
Typical day at work is educating physicians, and supplying
trug testing for patients.
Productive workplace
Grants Administrator (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 8, 2015
I loved working here. However it was a temp position. They were a great group to work with. I loved that I was constantly busy.
office assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee), sacramento caApril 7, 2015
• Assist supervisors with special projects such as aiding in office management and maintenance of the payment process
• Front Desk Duties, Greeting and Directing Visitors to their Destination
• Answer Multi-Line Telephone, Route Calls, and Take Accurate Messages
• Effectively use the different software systems to Enter new career center clients into the Database
• Utilize an Electronic System in updating Client Records and Extensive 10-Key
• Making Sure employee time sheets are in and are processed in data Base
Good place to learn and gain exposure to Highway design/construction
Area Engineer (Current Employee), Topeka, KsApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, pay, hours, work life.
Cons: Tough to have direct influence on the important projects.
Good place to learn. KDOT is a great transportation agency to work with. Lots of training opportunity. Typical day of independently determining how to effectively administer national policy in accordance with guidelines. Using personal knowledge and experience in guiding and advising highway projects.
Perhaps the best job i've ever had.
Community Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 5, 2015
Pros: Unlimited
Cons: None
Working within civil services is always great and this was an amazing chance to learn the reality of the world around us just a bit more.
A good first job
Civil Engineer - Program Manager (Current Employee), Jackson, MSApril 4, 2015
Pros: Diversity of good work experience.
Cons: Pay
This was an excellent first job. Employees had latitude to remain stationary or rotate into the other lines of business (Bureaus). I gained a lot of professional and engineering experience with IDOT. A fairly diverse, and young work force. After gaining experience, a lot of employees obtained employment with consultants or other state, local, or Federal organizations. The pay wasn't that great, and metropolitan Chicago was fairly expensive.
learning experiance
labor (Former Employee), everett waMarch 28, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: temp
great place to work learned a lot great coworkers management were great hardest part of the job was it was only a temp job.learned how to be a labor. fencing. flagging, road work.
Government Agency
Regional Work Plan Coordinator/Scheduler (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMarch 26, 2015
What can you say you are working for a government agency. Challenging work if you want, or not. If you want to advance it is up to you. All positions must be bid on so promotions not a given. Every secure once in.
Air traffic service provider for the U.S
Manager of Tactical Operations (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
Pros: gov't work
Extensive experience in air traffic control and air traffic management that spans operational, technical, and leadership functions. Expert with highly technical and evolving technology and concepts. This includes over 32 years of operating, managing, and leading in the complex New York metropolitan airspace and the Northeast U.S. Equally successful leading small, flexible teams and large, complex organizations.

Developed a data science lab to extract and interpret big data from over 100 sources of air traffic control, air traffic management, and weather programs spanning multiple networks of incongruent information. Expert in converging strategic, tactical, and results data into transformational operational strategies and programs.
Productive and fun place to work
Equipment Operator I (Former Employee), Georgetown, DEMarch 23, 2015
Pros: Vac/Sick Leave
Cons: Short Breaks
Day to day responsibility was busy and very productive. Received CDL Class B License, Flagger Certificate and DOT Certification.Enjoyed working with coworkers.
Great opportunity
Office of The Secretary (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: classes are free
Working for the Government has great oppourtunities and good benefits. I enjoy having the flexable work hours and telecommute programs.
Best Boss Jerry Ball!
Administrative Officer (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 20, 2015
Pros: health and retirement benefits
Cons: lack of resources
Hardest part of the job was to ensure all Flight Service Station stayed within their budgets given.

The most enjoyable part of the job was Facilitation of Management and Air Traffic Controllers.
Very professional place.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
Cons: as with every job out there you will encounter negativity, but you make it what you want it to be and be an overcomer
I have been working at FAA full-time (more than a year). This work is not for the weak at heart. It will demand your best, but it will also welcome everything you offer.
Great Environment
Employee Relations Specialist (Former Employee), ColoradoMarch 15, 2015
DOT/FHWA is great place to work. It has an excellent HR department and does a good job in hiring and promoting within the Agency.
The hardest part of the job
Curtin Transportation (Current Employee), Waterbury, CTMarch 13, 2015
The Hardest part of the job is when a client get out of hand when we are sitting in traffic and they start to kick the seats in the car or a van so we have to talk to the client so we can make sure that he can not hurt the driver the aid and his self
Challenging and fun
Air Traffic Control Specialist (Current Employee), Dupont, PAMarch 11, 2015
Great and challenging job. No one day is ever the same. The experiences achieved while working are beyond imagine. You build life long bonds with many co-workers in this intense and fast paced work environment.
Resistant to change. Inflexible. Inconsistent.
Computer Scientist V (Former Employee), Egg Harbor Township, NJMarch 11, 2015
Pros: made many attempts at team building.
Cons: communication between management and personnel was poor.
For the most part I worked independently. I was hired to "create" the position of Requirements Keeper. So, I basically had free rein. Attended status, Phase Gate and staff meetings on a regular basis.

Learned how to communicate in a less proactive fashion.

Observed a management style different from any I'd ever heard of or seen before.

Experienced a wide variety of challenging personalities and diverse cultures.

The hardest part of this job was doing my job without stepping on someones toes.

It was a small group, only 37 people. The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting with my co-workers.
I am a contractor for the FAA
Technical Support II\Windows System Administration (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 3, 2015
Poor planning & management all around and budgets are badly mishandled. We are dealt with differently, yet Tier 2 techs dominate the entire agency.Otherwise, since being a contract not much to say.
GREAT OPPORTUNITY
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 2, 2015
IT WAS WONDERFUL WORKING THERE SO MANY THINGS I LEARNED WHILE WORKING THERE.
Performed administrative duties associated with customer issues.
Extensive customer service
Performed extensive data entry
Answer and direct telephone calls to appropriate department.
Assist customers with inquiries by phone.
Clerk Typist
CLERK TYPIST (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: took on a lot of responsibility
First job out of High School. Typing, Filing answering phones. Worked for about 5 people in office by myself. I learned how to maintain professionalism.

1 2 3 4 5