Department of Treasury

Department of Treasury Employer Reviews

Help assist with IT troubleshooting, Network set up
Student Worker Intern (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: off every weekend
Just help the clients and learn ways of doing things differently and thinking out the box
Productive and fun workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great job to have.
Cons: was seasonal work that didn't transition into a permanent job
A typical day was very fast paced and very detail oriented, but the atmosphere always felt light and easy. My co-workers were always helpful and I always felt like a part of a team. I could always get direction and support simple by asking. From the worker in the call center to the center's production manager always took time to make sure you had all – more... you needed to do the best job you could possible do. I didn't find anything my job required to be hard, but the very opposite. I looked forward to going to work everyday and volunteered to work overtime happily. – less
this was a learning experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: this job enhanced my computer skills.
Cons: this was a seasonal position.
A big part of my job at IRS was listening to the caller, being courteous and patient.
I was required to be familiar with the IRS manuals so I could help each Tax Payer to the fullest extent possible.
Conduct research per inquiry and preparing individual installment agreements.
High degree of discretion, judgment, tact and poise is needed.
The most enjoyable – more... part was helping the Tax Payer.
This was a very fast pace environment with calls coming in back to back.
This job enhanced my Customer Service skills. – less
Government security
Tax Examining Technician / Accounts Management (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 9, 2014
Pros: benefits, schedule, heathcare, salary
Cons: stress
Good place for someone who doesn't like change. Opportunity for advancement within. Benefits!!!
Fast paced work environment
Assistant Secretary - Code Inspection Processor (Former Employee), Trenton, NJJune 25, 2014
Pros: close radius to my home
Cons: heavy work load
Friendly people and nice supervisor. Heavy work load was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable , when projects were finished you were appreciated.
good job learning
TAX SPECIALIST (Former Employee), wyomingMay 28, 2014
Pros: good learning experience
Cons: governed by recordings
A good place to work with the people. A place where a person can utilize their multi tasking skills.
Not an ideal workplace in IT
Customer Support IT Specialist (Current Employee), Lanham, MDMay 8, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: lunch breaks
Lack of professionalism from management; low morale in the workplace; high level of bias; lack of training results in stressful job performance
confidential
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Lanham, MDMay 6, 2014
confidential. As with other federa employment, great benefit package. It was not the best move for me at the time but maybe somewhere I would be interested in for future employment.
Good place to work, but going downhill
Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: job security. benefits.
Cons: rising workloads.
Great job experience for accountants interested in taxation. Decent benefits, salary and vacation time.

If you believe in balancing your work with your life then this is the place for you.

The workplace is unionized, which has its benefits. Membership is not required, but it does provide an additional layer of job security.

Front line managers are – more... decent overall and usually fairly knowledgeable. Upper management sets a tone of demanding too much. Each year the workloads get higher as workers who retire are not replaced. There's very little opportunity for promotion.

Ever since the Sequester, Tea Party scandal and the various IRS conference scandals the work environment has declined. Moral is very low. – less
Learned a lot but non hiring to replace retired employees for 3 years in a row put a strain and increase work load on everyone , therefore Exodus occu
Human Resources Specialist, Human Capital Division (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: good employee environment
Cons: not much room for advancement and management not committed to helping employees succeed
From the standpoint of learning a lot and was the 'Vice President of the National Treasury Employees union and later became a Labor Relations Specialist, things were good. Management as a whole was not bad but there were some who just did not care about the advancement of their employees. Therefore, the culture was not good. Non- hiring of people to – more... replace retirees because of so-called 'budget retraints' resulting in a Massive exodus of colleagues whose work load increased two- fold. People became burnt out and left. However, it was an honor working for the Government.

I would work there again under the right circumstances but having come from the Corporate world, I was missing it and now will prefer going coming back to the Corporate world. It is nice to be well rounded by working for both the Government and the Corporate world. – less
Very Productive, caring, cooperative environment
Bilingual Tax Examiner and Manual Refund Liaison (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: career wise, i had all the guidance that i needed to move up.
Cons: to far wise majority of my income on gas, and car repair.
I enjoyed going to work everyday, because I worked for a great department. My supervisor took pride in ensuring that her team learned all that it could to ensure that we did our jobs correctly. A typical day for me was, I left my home at 4:30 am to be in the office by 7 am. My commute took 2.5 hours by car. Once I arrived at the office, I had cases – more... waiting for me that could be as simple as coding a return for processing to reviewing a taxpayer's complex financial statements to determine whether he or she can pay or not. I also determined how much the taxpayer could pay per month based on their current financial condition . I worked cases for small business owners, small corporations, and international taxpayers. The thing that I enjoy the most was helping my co-worker and the taxpayers that called my direct-line. I managed a program that dealt with manual refunds. I ensured that the refund request were processed timely,and if there was a problem, the problem was resolved, I personally handled the inquires that came in from the field. When a request for a refund failed to be processed, and it was the fault of the requester, I enjoyed taking the time to correct the issue, provide quick training. My job was very exciting, and I learned something new everyday. – less
Calm and professional environment. Senior management well experienced
Student Intern (Homeownership Preservation Office) (Current Employee), Washington D.C.December 28, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: individualized work
This internship provided a lot of insight on the government's tarp operations. A well-structured assembly line of tasks helped me more readily understand the intricate procedures. Over all a good and enlightening experience.
Great fast pace environment
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 3, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: fast pace
Great place to work because of the mission. Great people who dedicated to their country.
LIASON BETWEEN TAXPAYER AND GOVERNMENT
Order Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 25, 2013
TO HEAR, COMPREHEND,AND REACT TO THE REQUESTS FOR TAX INFORMATION FROM TAXPAYERS,COURTS,CPA. ESTABLISH ACCOUNTS. REPORT ALL FRAUDULENT ACTIVITIES REPORTED TO THE DESIGNATED INVESTIGATOR IN AN ACCURATE MANNER ADHERING TO ALL FEDERAL,STATE AND LOCAL GUIDELINES.
Sr. Executive Assistant/Office Administrator (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 14, 2013
Pros: working across from the white house, seeing the president whenever he comes to make speeches. coop exercises - loved them.
Cons: limited decision making because contracting status, not always conducive for these positions.
Allowed to access all government systems to accomodate administrative assistance to Fedeal employees. Major responsiibility - assistant to the Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response. Initiated travel docuements; submited travel vouchers in a timely manner for reimbursements; had staff trained on how to record their time in time keeping program; – more... trainied staff on how to initiate travel and submit travel vouchers - this was a web based system where the staff was encouraged to make their own travel arrangements; drafted and reviewed correspondence for the Assistant Secretary and Secretary of Treasury signature; organized monthy Emergency Management for Departmental points of contact; monitored as Information Management Specialist until a federal employee was hired; troubleshoot personnel issues regarding federal empolyees; responsible for ordering supplies using web based program and gained some knowledge about how governements work.
Hightly regarded in my field of expertise - sought after by junior federal administrative assistants for expert advise. – less
Productive and Independent Workplace
Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 15, 2013
Pros: flexability to work from home
Cons: heavy case load with less people
Work from 8:30 am to 4:30 M-F. Sometimes work from home twice a week. Learn about tax law daily and audit tax returns. Management is very hands on with their employees to teach them to be independent. Coworkers are very friendly. The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset taxpayers that don't want to work with you. The most enjoyable part is – more... meeting different people from all types of backgrounds. – less
I REALLY LOVE CUSTOMER SERVICE
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHOctober 13, 2013
Pros: we are located downtown and its accessible to many places and bus stops.
Cons: i happen to be on a short lunch, rarely go out. this is my choice.
The job training is really good. I started as a data transcriber and was trained as a clerk and later as an Human Resource Assistant. The people I work with is as good of a team that any person could ask for, they are dependable, reliable and always willing to assist any way possible. It is always great when you can come on your job and see co-workers – more... with smiles and grins. Management has been really great for the last few years, our now Manager understands that things happen and all things are not the end of the earth, SHE IS REALLY UNDERSTANDING. – less
Great Place to work
Revenue Officer (Former Employee), Schiller Park, ILOctober 13, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: furlough issues
Great place to work with many interesting people. You have the potential to learn on a daily basis.
Fast-paced place to work
Clerk (Current Employee), Fresno, CASeptember 24, 2013
Pros: overtime during peak season.
Cons: not enough work to warrant getting called in during off season.
This is a fast-paced place to work. Extremely hard to secure to permanent position without lengthy job experience within. Work hours are great during peak season, however peak seasons have reduced over the years. Hardest part of the job is getting called in to work. Easiest is that the work is mundane.
Best exposure to audit different forms of businesses in all industries
Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 12, 2013
Pros: travel reimbursement for appointments, bart subsidary, flexible work schedule (work from home).
Cons: promotions/bonuses/lateral trasnfers are based on fiscal budget.
Typical day at work is make manage multiple projects and case work. You are constantly pulled between making phone calls, doing third party contacts, managing taxpayer's and their representatives, researching tax law, writing reports, analyzing business ratios and checking for compliance between both tax reporting and financial accounting of records.

Learned – more... that the position is more people management than tax or accounting.

Very difficult to get into management, as bonuses/promotions and lateral transfers (into specialty groups) is based on Dept. of Treasury fiscal budget.

Co-workers are great, you actually work with some of the brightest professional in accounting/tax organization.

Hardest part of the job is getting information when you need and the disconnect between multiple internal departments.

Most enjoyable part of the job, is that is it the only "W2" job where you are secured for employment but also manage your case load as if you are self-employed. Very flexible work schedule – less

1 2 3