Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Educational and Productive
MSW Internship (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLDecember 16, 2014
An amazing place to work with Veterans of all ages and genre. Enjoyed learning as well as educating Veterans about living life on life's terms.
A good crew, clean kitchen, outdated system
High Level Cook (Current Employee), Portland, ORDecember 16, 2014
This is a good , clean kitchen with an outdated food service system. Soon to change, though, because a Room-Service style menu is in the works.

The crew is good, knowledgeable cook staff with the average "bad egg" you find in a Union-based organization (i.e. people that call in sick all the time because the Union will let them get away with it)
VA
Housekeeping Aid P/T (Former Employee), Bay Pines, FLDecember 15, 2014
Depending on the department that you work for, but overall it's great!
Co-workers are very cool and educated for the most part and are willing to help you succeed.
The hardest part for me was the drive.
The best part was having a job and the benefits and helping the veterans.
Great residents
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 14, 2014
Pros: job security, benefits
Cons: kind of unorganized
Loved all my residents......a lot of cheerful people some staff included.
Summary
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Danbury, CTDecember 12, 2014
will not disclose due to currently working for this federal agency. I do not believe i should be forced into providing my personal opinions about my employer
I Salute Those Who Serve!
Neurodiagnostic Technician/ADPAC (Current Employee), PhiladelphiaDecember 11, 2014
Pros: vetrans
Cons: lack of opportunity
I enjoy working with and talking to the many Veterans that pass through the VA on a daily basis. I appreciate their service to our country and recognize their many sacrifices.

The Neurology Department is a good group of people to work with overall, however, like most things in life there are a few weak links in the chain.
An opportunity to work with people who have helped us all
social worker (Current Employee), Montrose NYDecember 11, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: cumbersome system
The hardest part of my job is I can be transfered to a different assignment without my agreement
The best part of my job is when I see a veteran getting better
I've learned to be flexible
The management and my supervisor are two different things. I have an excellent supervisor who allows me to create groups and use my skills to assist the veterans I – more... am working with.
Management is cumbersome and has many layers which makes it difficult.
I have had the opportunity to work with some amazing co-workers however since this is a government system there are also co-workers who are not qualified to do the job they are doing and who are entrenched in their job without any way to make them accountable – less
Productive and Hepful place
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Tallahassee,FloridaDecember 9, 2014
The most important part of my job is that I can continue to serve this country by serving and helping my fellow veterans.
Open door policy, many opportunities for growth.
Program Support Clerk (Current Employee), Smyrna, TNDecember 9, 2014
Auditing bills before submission, reviewing and entering denials for research.
great job
Telephone Operator (Former Employee), phoenix, AZDecember 9, 2014
Pros: government job security
Cons: retirement
nurses aid.
surgical equipment cleaner
medical records file clerk
release of information clerk
ward clerk.
telephone operator.
all areas provided a learning experiences
worked with a lot of different people. worked with many Veterans
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee), Mountain HomeDecember 7, 2014
Pros: accurate allotment of time to see patients
Cons: poor administration in the psychiatry department, nurse practitioners are not respected and are frequently targeted.
As a previous employee I found myself as a personal target. The administrators out right lied when they submitted paperwork about meetings with myself, which I have on recording. When expressing concerns, administration turned it into me complaining and not following protocol. The would not document in the system the nature of my meetings, but required – more... me to do so. And outright lied. The campus police lied in a court of law. I have the detective recorded as well. I thoroughly enjoyed my job at Mountain Home VAMC and it was taken from me 11 days prior from when my 2 year probationary period was up. I have never seen such a dishonest and vindictive set of management in my entire career. With regard to my father being an Air Force Veteran, he will never seek services within this VA due to this occurrence and has contacted his representative regarding the tape recordings and documentation that I have. This was truly a job that I enjoyed. The population is one that I have the utmost respect for. But the management team within the Psychiatry Service needs a new set of faces to encourage cohesiveness and quality of care.It is evident if one examines the turnover in this department that it is a trend of people being targeted to the point that they resign and go elsewhere, where their input to the team matters and is heard. Physicians got perks of leaving when they wanted to in administration, took extended lunches, left early, and came in late without recourse. Which I advised administration of, however if i asked a question about the time, the response I was given was, "do you really want to go there?" – less
Department of Veterans Affairs
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 6, 2014
Pros: job satisfaction
Cons: lack of communication
I received a great sense of team work. My co-workers were supportive. It was a pleasure coming into work everyday.
Constantly changing enviorment with daily challenges
Peer Support Counselor/Specialist (Current Employee), Manchester, NHDecember 5, 2014
A typical day is thriving to excel and exceed the needs and wants of our veterans. Majority of the time is spent in a clinical environment assisting veterans in goal orientation and preparation with life events. Throughout my time at the VA Medical Center in Manchester, New Hampshire I have learned the value of team work combined with the ability to – more... do more with less. Working alongside a great team that must not only excel at assisting each other but also be open to new ideas and even ones that don’t always work well in a uniformed job environment.

One of the hardest parts of my job is knowing that there isn’t always a quick answer or a direct fix. Sometimes it will take weeks or months to get results. However, the individuals that we work with on a daily basis are strong and willing to put the work and effort in which makes the job and the environment much more rewarding. I would say that this may also be the most enjoyable part of the job. The constant demand and personal gain that one gets from assisting these men and women who have given so much for so little. – less
Making sure patients needs are met and assist as neeeded
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Hampton, VADecember 4, 2014
Taking care of patients practicing teamwork. Asisst as needed having patience and understanding,helping others,
challenging
Certified pharmacy technician (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 3, 2014
Pros: federal benefits
Cons: 1hour+ commute, zero advancement, poor leadership
There is no advancement opportunities in the pharmacy department nor merit increases even if you're a pharmacist and have been at VA for 20-40 years. It's the same repetitive responsibilities. Great work is not recognized but supervisors will be on your case if the slightest mistake happens. Management (at any level) have very little managerial skills – more... and only minimal "people skills." – less
Government Job
HEALTHCARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Durham, NCDecember 2, 2014
Pros: pto and leave
Cons: management and oversight
Military Retiree would benefit from this environment as it would put them in at a higher GS pay rating
Faculty needs improvement
Admin (Current Employee), Outpatient ClinicDecember 1, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor leadership
Leadership skills are lacking at this facility. Unfair work practices. The organized and productive are rewarded with more work while the slackers have little to no stress.

Frustrations run high when you are unable to use your skills to perfect processes which would make operations run smoother.
job
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee), Helena, MTDecember 1, 2014
It has been wonderful working with this company. They are always compassionate and willing to work with you based on your needs. i have learned more medical and work ethics within this job from just starting and practicing more with my skills.
Productive and easy going place to work.
MEDICAL REIMBURSEMENT TECHNICIAN (GS-06) (Current Employee), Smyrna, TNDecember 1, 2014
A typical day of work starts with completing assigned tasks before deadlines and communicating with other departments. The management is pretty easy going (especially when it comes to time off that is needed for emergencys). The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to freely communicate with other employees.
Very poor management culture
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNNovember 29, 2014
Pros: federal pension
Cons: too numerous to mention
Management is focused on making numbers for their own benefit. They have little to no incentive to improve efficiency. They are not very open to suggestions and don't want the extra work involved in implementing better ways of doing things.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos