Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,011 reviews matching the search
Wonderful employee's to interact with on a daily basis.
VBA's Lead Analyst for the following projects (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 4, 2016
I have worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs for 40 years. I've had some wonderful supervisors who believed in uplifting and encouraging their employee's and staff. I truly enjoyed working with those managers years ago.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that all of my hard work contributes to the daily life of our veterans.
Pros
Retirement Annuity
Cons
Meaningful place to work!
Polytrauma / Pain Management Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMay 2, 2016
The VA has its own problems as the media loves to point out, but I still enjoy caring for veterans and working with them. As a veteran myself, I enjoy giving back to those who have sacrificed so much. In my department, the leadership is great and very loyal, helpful, and supportive.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
The VA organization in general needs transformative leadership to make it better.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Staff Nurse, Community Based Outpatient Clinic (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 1, 2016
A typical day working at the VA is very busy and multi tasking is a must. Management on local level is great, and it has a good co- worker environment. The hardest part is dealing with angry veterans several times a day, and the most enjoyable part is being able to listen to their experiences.
Pros
Goos hours with no need for overtime
Cons
Commute interferes with family time/needs
Loving Nursing House
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2016
I love working in the nursing home. I love the older people . my typical work day was to come in help cleaning and make sure that we was ready for the day. My supervisor was the greatest I ever had.
Work environment
Functional Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2016
Very relaxed place of work. Hard interact with Staff. Great restaurants and nice place just 2 miles away from the White House.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Place is too quiet
Great coworkers
Staff RN/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 1, 2016
The telemetry floor is an extremely challenging workplace. Has had multiple new managers. RN's need to have excellent time management skills.
Benefits
Cons
little opportunity for advancement
Customer Service Represetative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 28, 2016
I loved working at the VA, stayed for 33 1/2 years. Supervised 13 Employees. Learned many things. I believe that Veterans deserve the best treatment for their service
Pros
Greats Benefits
opportunity for long term research
Research Coordinator/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 28, 2016
This job gave me the chance to launch and follow a ten year project on Chronic Kidney Disease. It involved skill development and close contact with subjects.
Very Good place to work
Career Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 27, 2016
Veterans Affairs was a great place to work, I leaned a lot about government contracts and building of hospital all over world.
Pros
employees help you
Cons
They need more understanding of veterans
administrative duties
Supervisor Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 27, 2016
as a supervisor at the department of veterans affairs working with students by introducing them to the federal government. employees that have begun keep updated of time arriving to work, not coming to work and leaving work during the tour of work. including time cards, training, evaluations, and promotion. calling military veterans of concerns both positive and negative of how treatment was given
Overall a good wwork place
Program Support Clerk GS (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 27, 2016
My Supervisor was an excellent Chief to work with very understanding. I learned a lot to include working with various departments and new students and interns. Had excellent co workers. The enjoyable time was with the veterans.
Pros
Celebrations of Birthdays, Retirements and Holidays.
Cons
Sometimes heavy workloads
Great place to work, rewarding
Health Science Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 26, 2016
Great organization to work for, as it is rewarding. Pay and benefits unmatched to other organizations. Poor leadership.
Pros
Great clients, rewarding job.
Cons
poor leadership, no accountability
The culture was extrodinary
Practicum Social Work Student (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 26, 2016
I was the owner and CEO. I enjoyed starting and growing this business. I grew it bigger than myself and got to a point I was too stressed out. I was happy to sell the business to ResCare of Kansas.
Pros
The culture was great
Cons
too stressful
FUn place to work, with room for advancement
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2016
The most enjoyable part is being able to serve the veterans. The job offers a lot of great benefits and is minutes form downtown Baltimore.
Productive, Puntual, Work Oriented, Team Player, Work well with others.
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2016
My duties consisted of cleaning patient rooms and bathrooms. Also, I was assigned to paitent wards where I provided continuous daily cleaning. Making beds and cleaning isolation rooms dressed in protective clothing. Extensive knowledge of cleaning supplies and equipment.
Pros
Comprehensive Health Plans, Retirement and Saving Plans
Cons
Supply/Equipment shortage, employee accountability, poor worker teamwork
Not the worst
General Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 22, 2016
I work for a contracting company. The only downside is that they are constantly changing their general "requirements" and everyone is not on the same page.
Great training opportunities
Psychiatric Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  North Hills, CAApril 21, 2016
Enjoyed my coworkers and had excellent supervision. Management of my department was excellent, but the VA is so large that there can be interdisciplinary conflicts. I felt supported whenever I brought concerns to my direct supervisor. Working directly with Veteran is the most enjoyable part of the job, and of course, the documentation is the least enjoyable part of the job. Food at the VA Canteen is suspicious, but there is ample camaraderie among Veterans to make up for the food.
Pros
Beautiful campus, rewarding client work
Cons
VA bureaucracy
Political
Sr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Remote from home at Austin TexasApril 21, 2016
Political as one would expect. Some people work hard some hardly at all. Backwards technology in some areas, forward-looking in others.
Opportunity for growth is minimal
Veteran Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNApril 20, 2016
Great co-workers! Job can be very repetitive and not very challenging. Compensation not really competitive. Love the opportunity of teleworking.
Coworkers
Clinical Nurse/ LVN (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 20, 2016
I got along just fine with all of my coworkers. They were helpful and worked hard. My supervisors and managers were kind and hard working.