Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

High Pressure, Low Performance
Supply Chain Program Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: learn a lot
Cons: difficult to manage personal time
The Dept of VA has a very reactive culture, especially in headquarters. It is hard to make changes. The environment is fast-paced, but often requires a lot of travel.
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: harris contractor overseeing wireless project
Cons: harris contractor overseeing wireless project
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project.

Contractor in charge of supervising sub contractors while installing Wireless AP' through VA Medical Center
Great benefits
PROGRAM SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: job security and good benefits
Cons: pay is not competitive
As most federal government jobs (in my opinion), the work I did wasn't all that exciting and the project advanced slowly. I however enjoyed the flexibility of working alternative hours as well the benefits they offer. Pay is not all that competitive
Challening and meaningful work
Attorney and Asst. Regional Counsel Region 6 (Former Employee), Decatur, GAFebruary 24, 2015
I provided legal guidance to the medical centers executives in Florida, the Virgin Island, and Puerto Rico. I was responsible for overseeing the daily operations of seven outstation offices and the core office in St. Petersburg, Florida. Additionally, I supervised 26 employees comprised of attorneys, paralegal, and legal assistant.
Comfortable place to work with the right contract.
Senior Instructional Systems Designer (Current Employee), Frederick, MDFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: comfortable work environment
Cons: bad benefits, no snow days
This is a comfortable workplace, but lacks in employee benefits. The hardest part of the job are aggressive deadlines. New management is trying to make a mark and bring in new people.
Good Place to work!!!
Certified Nurses Assistant (Current Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Wonderful easy going employer. Helpful staff always to able to find what you need.Nurses are efficent and clean,caring.
Detailed job experience
CAREGIVER (Current Employee), Orlando FLFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: fellowship
Cons: unpaid
I am given an amazing opportunity to learn hands on and work my degree, giving me the experience necessary to become a successful and productive member of society. Hardest part of the job is that this position is unpaid the most fulfilling is assisting clients in obtaining their goals.
Caregiver, VA (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 20, 2015
A typical day, I change catheter tubing dressings, change catheter every 2 weeks, and assist in bowel program. The most enjoyable part is that I can do it from home. I have learned that it is a lot of work to care for a loved on that needs attention 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.
Productive Workplace
Senior Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: job security
Provide Clinical Social Work Services to veterans and returning services members daily.

Case load various according to specialty areas.
True dedication to serving Veterans
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: healthy food available at a reasonable cost.
Cons: parking
A 24/7 teaching facility with excellent care for the Veterans. Management is dedicated to expanding the access to all.
No room for growth and promotion!
Program Support Clerk (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: it a little bit lay-back than private companies.
Cons: many lazy staff, and no room for growth!
The Department of Veterans Affairs is not a good place for growth. Promotions are also by "who you know" system, and seniority! They do not care if you have the potential or skills to benefit the agency. I am so disappointed. About to find my bearing and move up the ladder.
Leadership needs an overhaul;
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: comrodery with fellow veterans
Cons: nonveteran supervisors
Discrimination runs rampant in the supervisor roles. If no t a Veteran, how can you know what we went through? d and won. But, blacknballed at the VA
Great place for veterans
Program Support Administrator (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAFebruary 17, 2015
The hospital's mission it is fulfill the needs of every veteran that enters the hospital doors- their mission is always accomplished.
Working with Veterans
Administrative Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2015
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs has been a blast. I enjoy the opportunity to serve my veterans and help to make their lives easier. Work is not easy but with the most current information you are able to do your job efficiently.
Program Support
Arizona VA Healthcare System Program Support (Current Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: federal benefits
Cons: short lunches
Program Support Assistant responsible for coordinating referral care for patients. Exhibits exceptional patient service to get veterans the healthcare that they need in the public sector. Communicates with professionals in over 50 medical specialties to coordinate referrals and appointments.
Collaborative preparation for return to work.
Participant Observer (Current Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 13, 2015
Participated in specialized training in adaptive technologies including computers, mobility and GPS devices.Ongoing assistance with adaptive technologies.
Professional service driven environment .
Veterans Claims Examiner (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: assisting those in need and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice
Cons: unable to provide more one on one assistane.
The primary function of Veterans is to provide excellent service to Service members, Veterans and the families of the fallen Soldiers.
A great place to work! I would have stayed if I could!
Supervisor Brian Lahti (Former Employee), Prescott, Az.February 12, 2015
Pros: good company, good people, good times.
Cons: job was only 6 months long, 4 hours a day, minimum wage.
I worked grounds keeping, so my job was different every day. I might be pushing, (or driving) a lawn mower, or I might be driving a snowplow! I even engineered and built a large rock retaining wall!
Enjoyable workplace
Registered Nurse Critical Care (Current Employee), Salem, VAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: working with veterans
I have spent most of my career working at VAMC in critical care. I have enjoyed by work and the people I work with, but as a Family Nurse Practitioner I want to help people before they need critical care. I love preventative medicine.
little pay poor working conditions
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), new yorkFebruary 9, 2015
not enough pay
nothing to learn
supervisor was cool
co-workers threatend by my work ethic
no oportunity for edvancment

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos