Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Productive workplace and Important Mission
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 18, 2017
Good job, rewarding mission - Serving Veterans! solid overall benefits. with career advancement opportunities. In some instances you may have to transfer to another location to find the right opportunity/job. Be flexible.
Pros
Important Mission - Serving Veterans
Cons
Can be a stressful mission - Serving Veterans depends on scope of responsibility
working with Amercan Heros
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northport, NYNovember 17, 2017
Love working with the Veterans. Been on every unit in the medical center. Liked doing that gave me a wide range of experience. Due to the nature of the job is that you work nights and weekends
Pros
working with American Heros
Cons
Lack of consistency with management
Productive and Educational
Medical Records Technician (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVNovember 16, 2017
Typical day includes completing workload assigned and providing customer service to co-workers. I enjoyed communicating with employee. I enjoy providing customer service to veterans who have served our country.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Limited work space
Great opportunities
Office Administrative Clerk - Veteran Work Study (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILNovember 16, 2017
Working with the Department of Veterans Affairs allows one the opportunity to become involved in many aspects of helping veterans,
It is a great opportunity typically with job security. It is a professional and secure environment. Great opportunity to meet and work with an abundance of different social and ethinic backgrounds
same as before
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53214November 16, 2017
same as the last review. Not recommended too much hostility and ulterior motives between teams and individual employees. Not veteran centric but veterans and their dependents are our primary customers.
Fun place to work
Clinical Social Work Intern, Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 16, 2017
It was a good experience and a fun place to work. I got to meet different people and listen to their ideas and help them get what they needed to succeed.
Pros
Fun ativities
Cons
No pay
It is rewarding to serve veterans.
VA employee (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 16, 2017
Everything that goes on there is pretty much indeed a regular hospital. However, the best part of the job is being able to serve the veterans in your community.
Great Skill Learning Opportunties
Member Services (MS) (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 16, 2017
Working for the VA will allow you to gain skills that you might not normally gain in the private industry or without schooling. You are subjected to hiring freezes and other restrictions on training at times. But eventually you are given regular opportunities to advance.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities
Cons
Subjected to appointed leadership and or adminsitration
Enjoyable place to work
Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 16, 2017
I worked in the engineering depart., maintaining hospital equipment as well as commercial laundry equipment. Never complained about my position. Other employees of engineering seemed to complain about everything. The VA is a great place to work, but there is drama like anywhere you work.
good place
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 15, 2017
Its not a bad place to work, but this area is mostly clinics and upward progression is limited. So if you are happy at the entry level its ok but if you want to grow you have to move to a larger facility
Want to be a full time member of the VA
(The Ravens Group federal contractor) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 15, 2017
Working for the VA was a great exposure to how the government runs their hospitals. although at times the work load was heavy do to not enough staff, the team I was assigned to for the most part got the job done .
Disgruntled
Caregiver- Assist veterans (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 15, 2017
The Tennessee Valley Healthcare Region needs to be revamped. Most people that work here are incompetent and conspire to not do their jobs. The hospital closes at 4pm but, most of the employees are leaving by 3pm. Most are rude to veterans and feel inconvenienced by them. There is a reason that there is a sign that stated that there is no unauthorized video taping or recording. It is because most would be served with malpractice or prison time.
my start at the VA
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 15, 2017
the job was very easy and the conversations I had with my fellow veterans was great. my day consist of starting up the computer/ checking my supplies/ putting on my lab coat/ calling a veteran in the room to get their blood drawn or a specimen to be collected/ taking labs that was collected to the lab and cleaning your room thru out the day and at the end of your shift and making sure all your labs are taken down to the lab. That is it!
Pros
401k benefits/ paid leave/sick
Cons
not a positive atomosphere thru out the upper working ranks
Great pay, but corrupt
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MANovember 15, 2017
As a veteran I get good care at the VA, but as an employee you are treated less than human. There is racism, bullying, discrimination and no one blinks an eye.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Corrupt to the core
Self paced
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, VANovember 15, 2017
Great workplace with diversity. Self-paced. Excellent benefits. Excellent pay. Career advancement. Excellent paid time off. Closed on holidays. Occasional overtime.
I love my job
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bonham, TX 75418November 14, 2017
This is the best job I have ever had! Great people, wonderful pay and insurance, and management is wonderful. I would recommend anyone to the VA. Its worth it!
Government Bureaucracy at It's Worst
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILNovember 14, 2017
While the majority of my coworkers care deeply about the Veterans in our charge, too many strongly entrenched managers with selfish agendas stand in the way of an excellent standard of healthcare.
Cons
Short to nonexistent breaks and lunches
medical support assistant
Medical/Program Support Assistant/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 14, 2017
good place to work. nice people in charge and the same with coworkers. I learned alot and would go back. They seemed to care about the coworkers and managers,
My wonderful work experiene
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2017
My typical day is a very pleasant one, as a I am able to meet and greet veterans and show my love for all people. It can be very busy, but it is what I like as it makes time go fast. I have learned that working at the VA is totally different than working with the active duty and families. I have a greater respect as I see so many of the people who have given their life and freedom for us and now I am able to provide excellent service to each one that comes my way. The hardest part of the job is not being able to fully help when they need it the most, like with making appointments or being able to provide transportation so they can get to a much needed appointments as many of them do not have family and my heart breaks. I never realized how so many veterans are alone with no one to care or love them. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to bring a smile, or hold conversations with some of the veterans as majority of the time I may be the only one who will listen to them for that day.
Cons
pay
Different work environment
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eatontown, NJNovember 13, 2017
Like many government jobs it is extremely bureaucratic. This gets extremely frustrating extremely fast. There is a great opportunity for fast advancement though.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.