Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,131 reviews matching the search
Relaxing work place
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 23, 2016
Even though it was a counseling center the place was relaxing at the beginning. The most enjoyable part was to know I was very instrumental in opening the center, The hours was great!
Pros
Hours and pay
Cons
Seeing families suffer
Great team, lacking structure
BUDGET ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 22, 2016
Beginning a work day I typically reconciled transactions from the previous day and insured each account balance was true. Following that an analysis of internal client allocated budget was required. Additionally, ad hoc financial report requests came down from our corporate office. This required us to balance responsibility and time management regularly.
From my direct supervisor down to my the least experienced employee I greatly benefited from a supportive, skilled, and fun team at the VA. Most importantly we collaborated as a team on large projects and made time to assist others as necessary. Unfortunately upper management structure made it so communication lines were blurred and accountability lacking. Additionally, there was no room for process improvement.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
poor management structure
Unable to Provide feedback
Clinical Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 22, 2016
I had a positive experience at the VA, however, I was an intern and now that I am working closely with the VA and know several former colleagues that work there full-time, i have a different perspective. I think it's a place where you can really move up the latter if you play your cards right, but it seems that a lot of people get comfortable and forget the overall mission and goal to help our veterans.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
I travel daily to Veterans homes to care for there needs.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 21, 2016
I travel to Veteran homes do Vital assessments, set up there pill boxes. I report to the RN's if I find and abnormal health situations.

I learn every day to rely on my team for assistance with care if any abnormal findings.

Hardest part of my job is the lack of team work.

I get to meet and greet lots of Veterans I learn about their history in serving our country and I enjoy serving them.
Feel sorry for our nations veterans
SCCM (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 21, 2016
Sad place to work in IT, overthing is over engineered. many projects never complete on time, associates are lazy and don't understand simple instructions. Communication about problems only ends up getting you fired, instead of anyone listening to the real complaint and bothering to do something about it. Basically, no one cares.
worst place ever
Procurement & Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 20, 2016
I hated every single day. Management ids the worst. They hiring incompetence and the veterans suffer for it every single day.
Productive and fun place
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 19, 2016
It is a nice to work, but the traffic is always a problem. You have to spend at least 1-1.5 h on road dependent on where you live.
Stable environment
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 19, 2016
Overall good job. Needs to balance the pay scale better. Would like to see more perks or even a better bonus plan in place for hard workers.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Work load doesn't equal pay
Productive and fun environment with other workers
Nuclear Medicine Student (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 19, 2016
My co-workers were fun and cool guys. They devoted their passions on working. It was really good experience that improved my nuclear medicine skills.
Nice place to work
Senior Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 17, 2016
I really enjoying working around my co workers and patients while assisting them with a smile everyday. I was able to complete my daily tasks without any issues.
Pros
Great Benefits, Nice place to work
Cons
Far from home
Respectable and rewarding job
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  FSCJuly 15, 2016
I enjoy my time working at the Department of Veterans Affairs. Just knowing that I am helping our veterans and their families is very rewarding. The hardest part of the job is working as a contractor because you can be laid off or downsized at any time.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
contractor work is not permanent
Nepotism and Favoritism
Nobody (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 15, 2016
At one point, there was a Supervisor & Spouse & Child working at my VA. A lot of mgmt have given their extended family employment although clearly unqualified. It is continuing at an alarming rate. Favoritism cliques, Boyfriend/girlfriend galore.
Worst job I have ever had .Most of the Veterans who got employed are just there to work the system.
80% looking on how to get the inside scoop of raising their disability, getting medical retirement and they are doing it. Only looking out for themselves, not the Veteran coming in the door.
Managers have harassed employees to the point they will transfer to another VA to alleviate their stress.
I stay because I love my Veterans and need the money.
Otherwise, I would rather shovel manure than work with the stress created amongst the walls.
Pros
Thrift Savings Plan
Cons
Nepotism-favoritism, unqualified co-workers milking the system
Working For The Department of Veterans Affairs
Chief, Beneficiary Travel/Mobility Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2016
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs (Federal Government) was a joy because as a Veteran I was able to assit other Veterans with transportation to their medical appointments.
Pros
Good Pay and Benefits
Cons
Must pay for Benefits (expensive)
The Nurse Advice Line is Great place to work
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
I disagree with the previous comment about the VISN Nurse Advice Call Center. I have worked here for many years and have never had difficulty with the management. The turnover is very low. Most people have left to retire; over the past 10 years, only 5 out of 50 co-workers and 2 left to relocate. Most of my co-workers have worked here for 7+ years. The main problem is a small group of staff members that are unhappy with their lot in life and come to work angry every day. It is the same group that complains all of the time and picks fights with other staff. The benefits are great and yes I love the 5 weeks vacation. The VA overall is a great place to work and I think the nursing staff is treated very well in our unit. This is the best place I have ever worked and I have worked many different places in the private sector.
Great Volunteer Opportunity
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Bonham, TXJuly 12, 2016
Wonderful group of people providing best in class service to veterans and their families.A caring community of people dedicated to veterans.
Exciting and busy.
General diagnostic and CAT SCAN Technologist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 11, 2016
Hey great place for employment. I loved my dept. and appreciated it
My dept. like so many other depts. were understaffed with increasing demand. We prided ourselves getting through the tuff stuff and pulling together to mission accomplishment. We were always reminded of core vales, patient first via hospital leadership. Great place to work if you are a team player.
Engaging with veterans/ family and faculty with everyday experience/education
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 11, 2016
Enjoyed everyday with patients and staff.; never a dull moment.Staffing/ training was very informative and
useful. Assisting patients, doctors and other social workers rewarding.
Productive and challenging
Program Support Assistant/ Timekeeper (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 10, 2016
I learned about management structure, how to write professional correspondence, and the importance of meeting deadlines. The hardest part of my job was depending on others. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning something new.
Always on the go
Groundskeeper / Escort (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 9, 2016
I was either landscaping, or maintaining the perimeters of the hospital. I also escorted patients to their appointments. I learned how to be patient, as some patients can be difficult to work with. I did not find anything to be hard as it was enjoyable to communicate with the veterans.
Pros
Speaking with veterans.
Cons
Always on your feet.
Department of Vetern Affairs
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 9, 2016
Working here has been the best thing to happen to me ever. It gives me a sense of importance. I love helping out those who fought to make this country great.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location