Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,427 reviews matching the search
lead cook
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2017
Supervised 3 cooks to ensure high quality food production
Maintain an exceptionally clean and organized food production.
Supervised other cooks to ensure job was good
A wonderful place to work
Registered Nurse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 22, 2017
This part of my career was very rewarding. Proving long term care to the veterans and their families gave a sense of purpose and the knowledge that your service was truly appreciated. The workplace culture was very positive and I most enjoyed communicating with the Residents.
Good Serving Veterans
Program Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVFebruary 22, 2017
Great staff and coworkers. Something different everyday. Challenging but rewarding work. Great clients. Better chances for advancement at the hospital however.
I would not recommend working for the VA.
Revenue Utilization Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNFebruary 21, 2017
The Department of Veterans Affairs has earned its unfavorable reputation. Management is unresponsive to the needs of veterans and many of the people striving to provide excellent medical care. This Federal agency seems to be more concerned about quotas than human beings. My total years at the VA were the unhappiest of my career.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Unethical practices. Lack of innovation. Frequent IT problems.
Good job, very stressful in my area, holiday off!!!
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 20, 2017
The department I work in is VERY stressful at times, you are on your feet all day wearing heavy lead aprons, A LOT of radiation, Management is why I'm leaving a job I loved. It can be very demanding job, you are on call, pay is ok but not for what ALL you do! But working with the patients was the best part and what I will miss the most. I love my veterans and dearly appreciated everything they did for me and this country.
Pros
Off on Holidays
Cons
Management sucks
willing to work hard and overcome anything tha comes my way
wg-4 (Former Employee) –  leeds maFebruary 20, 2017
Duties may include ,but not limited to:
•Working on the tray-line during meal service to assist with the preparation of meal trays, which may include placing items on trays such as silverware, domes, and beverages.
•Pass trays and nourishments to Veteran patients, following patient safety standards, and using excellent customer service skills to assist patients with meal service.
•Pick-up soiled trays and dirty dishes return them to the kitchen, wash, and sanitize them using dish machine equipment.
•Scrub, wash, and sanitize pots and pans.
•Use floor scrubber and other cleaning equipment.
•Maintain a safe sanitary kitchen following established guidelines, cleaning schedules for food safety, personal hygiene, sanitation, and workplace safety.
•Contribute to a Veteran-Centered culture by preparing quality food items.
Pros
everything
Cons
very stressless place to work.
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montrose, NYFebruary 19, 2017
Productive and rewarding.
Continue to learn things every day about work and self.
Management - good.
workplace culture classes are given on a continuing bases.
hardest part of the job is trying to keep everyone happy at all times, co-workers and patients.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when I take that extra step to help a patient and it works and they tell me thank you for all the help. It's my job and it was no problem.
Pros
able to move up in department, and move to different departments .
Cons
short lunch breaks
Great training ambience
Phlebotomy student/Trainee (Former Employee) –  Riviera Beach, FLFebruary 19, 2017
As an intern, I was able to both understand the culture and workflow of the VAMC. Work was constant and steady. Coworkers were very respectful and worked well together, easing the overall burden of responsibility. The employees were able to choose their own music and were able to be relaxed and demonstrate exceptional professionalism.
Washington Veterans
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Retsil, WAFebruary 18, 2017
I loved my job at Retsil, had I not moved to Texas I would still be working there, the staff were amazing to work with, the patients were fun and full of stories.
Pros
good pay, benefits, small town, could take your kids to work with you.
Cons
My job was very satisfying, I had good repose with staff, management and doctors.
Great job when working with a good crew
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort Harrison, MTFebruary 17, 2017
A excellent janitor job with good benefits. Lowest pay in the VA but competitive with other housekeeping jobs. Did not encounter many problems from the higher ups.
work place wasboring
Specimen Collector (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 17, 2017
this job was not tasteful at all. everyday dreading \to show up for work. management does the bare minimum. the pay isn't well at all. and the work life is as poor as it gets. hated this job
Great place to further your education and overall advancement
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOFebruary 16, 2017
I truly enjoy working with the veterans, very fulfilling....I tell them you took care of the U.S. then and now it's time for us to take care of you....
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2017
Overall, I like working at the VA great pay and benefits great people to work with. I love taking care of vetrans.working for the govt is great overall.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, supervisor
Cons
Short breaks
Long and rewarding career
Infection Control Nurse (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
The VA is excellent for providing training for jobs and for support. The agency always stresses their mission, which is to "Care for those who have borne the battle". Excellence in customer service is always a focus.
Pros
Working with veterans and staff who feel the same way, focus on excellence of care to vets, excellent oportunities to advance and grow.
Cons
Money is tight but so is it for all of healthcare.
Process Improvement
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 16, 2017
Great place to work. Gain valuable skills such as leadership and collaborating. Sometimes depending on the projects, it will get hectic.
Great organization but poor leadership
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOFebruary 15, 2017
Serving veterans is a mission unlike any other. The VA provides a fulfilling opportunity to serve those who served us. VA leadership is very poor. The employee experience is terrible. Although I love what I do and the benefits are great, I often dread going to work due to poor leadership.
Productive Workplace with good people
Program Support Assistant/Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Perry Point, MDFebruary 15, 2017
Most Enjoyable = Co-Workers

Hardest Part = N/A

Workplace Culture = Relaxing

Management = Fair

What I learned = Credential, how to use Priv and VetPro, and how to use other tools pertaining to the job

Typical Day at work = Can be steady and often times really busy
Community of Practice's (CoP)
OFFICE OF THE CHIEF HUMAN CAPITAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2017
Human capital management is completely dismissive in conforming to new Strategic Human Capital Framework Initiatives and COP's initiatives set forth by OMB and OPM....
A Great Place to Work
Project Legacy/Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 13, 2017
The work environment is comfortable. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement and professional growth. The pay is complimentary to the job duties and responsibilities.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2017
I was a full time Volunteer and I would highly recommend this place of business to all who are looking to really make a difference. It is very rewarding and I enjoyed it very much.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location