Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

PROBLEM WITH VA
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee), ATHENS GAMay 20, 2015
Pros: HELPING PATIENT
Cons: NOT ENOUGH DOCTORS OR NURSES
THE PROBLEM WITH THE VA SYSTEM IS THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH DOCTORS AND NURSES. WHEN A DOCTOR LEAVES OR RETIRES THEY DO NOT REPLACE THEM.THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS HELPING THE PATIENTS.
Never a dull day!
Radiology Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), White River Junction, VTMay 19, 2015
Working at the VA was an honor, I've met so many amazing Veterans that have been an absolute joy! Being from a different state, employees were warm and very friendly. The VA is a great place to work!
As a Gov't worker we are provided money for transportation
Office Clerk/Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 19, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, great customers
Cons: Working conditions, right now it is extremely hot in our store
I have very supportive co-workers, we all get along very well because of our strong work ethic. A typical day is working on my assigned planagram in the snacks sections in the back. A day like today (Tuesday) we receive a large delivery with lots of products we sell in the Retail Store. Lots of lifting these boxes also and emptying them out. We have been very short staffed so due to that I have to fill in lots of times as the Cashier to one of our registers to several customers who can be veterans, employees, and volunteers. I have learned that Retail isn't very easy, I am accustomed to working in an office.
Productive fun place to Work
Volunteer (Former Employee), Fort Harrison, MTMay 19, 2015
Pros: I get to work with the Veterans
Cons: It's hard to get on Full-Time
Working for the Veterans Administration is an honor because I have the privilege of working with the Veterans.It's a great place to work has great benefits. Once you're on full-time is great. My co-workers are great. We have fun at work.
Providing quality healthcare for our nation's veterans in a safe environment
Assistant Safety Manager/GEMS Coordinator (Current Employee), Leavenworth, KSMay 18, 2015
The first Federal agency to provide medical care to veterans was the Naval Home in Philadelphia, PA. The home was created in 1812 and was followed by the creation of Soldiers Home in 1853 and St. Elizabeth's Hospital in 1855. Congress created the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in 1865 in response to the high number of Civil War casualties. These homes were initially intended to be room and board for disabled veterans. However, by the late 1920s, the homes were providing a level of care comparable to hospital care.

President Hoover created the Veterans Administration (VA) in 1930 to consolidate all veteran services. General Omar N. Bradley was appointed to VA administrator and Bradley appointed Major General Paul Hawley as director of VA medicine, both in 1945. Hawley successfully established a policy that affiliated new VA hospitals with medical schools. Hawley also promoted resident and teaching fellowships at VA hospitals. Ultimately, Hawley was responsible for starting the hospital-based research program at the VA. Bradley resigned in 1947. However, upon resignation, 97 hospitals were in operation and 29 new hospitals had been built. As a result, the VA health system was able to serve a much larger population of veterans than it had served in previous years.

In 1988, President Reagan signed the Department of Veterans Affairs Act, which elevated the VA to Cabinet-level, then becoming known as the Department of Veterans Affairs. The Department of Veterans Affairs oversees the Veterans Health Administration.[5]

In the mid-1980s the VHA was criticized – more... for their high operative mortality. To that end, Congress passed Public Law 99-166 in December 1985 which mandated the VHA to report their outcomes in comparison to national averages and the information must be risk-adjusted to account for the severity of illness of the VHA surgical patient population. In 1991 the National VA Surgical Risk Study (NVASRS) began in 44 Veterans Administration Medical Centers. By 31 December 1993 there was information for 500,000 non-cardiac surgical procedures. In 1994 NVASRS was expanded to all 128 VHA hospitals that performed surgery. The name was then changed to the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program.[6]

Beginning in the mid-1990s VHA underwent what the agency characterizes as a major transformation aimed at improving the quality and efficiency of care it provides to its patients. That transformation included eliminating underutilized inpatient beds and facilities, expanding outpatient clinics, and restructuring eligibility rules. A major focus of the transformation was the tracking of a number of performance indicators—including quality-of-care measures—and holding senior managers accountable for improvements in those measures.[7] – less
Very satisfying knowing you can help the veterans.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Laredo, TexasMay 18, 2015
Cons: Half hour lunch
It is very satisfying when you can help someone who has been having problems, elderly people, providing them with positive answers that bring a smile to their face. It's a nice working environment, all co-workers are great. Never had any problems with management, did my work and tried to go beyond. I learned to have a lot of patience and be very compassionate and as mentioned earlier, my greatest satisfaction came when I could provide them with the help they needed.
Outstanding all the way around an excellent experience.
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), CAMay 18, 2015
Pros: A community that supports and cares about their staff.
Cons: Not enough open positions.
The management and supervisors of VA Lajola Medical Center continue to support and recommend me even though I was not a permanent employee. I recommend them highly and would go back in a second if I could get a full time position.
Excellent job satisfaction
Chief of Police (Current Employee), Hampton VirginiaMay 17, 2015
I have learned patience as an executive police leader supporting a healthcare environment. The diversity of operations challenges law enforcement and security methodologies.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Clinician (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaMay 16, 2015
Super dedicated clinicians and staff. A sometimes chaotic and mostly busy atmosphere. A great patient population. Lots of opportunities.
Producutive
Program Analyst / Denver Department (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 16, 2015
I did not enjoy my last experience with the VA because I was discriminated against. It was a difficult situation but I must move on
Excellent Environment to Hone Skills and Serve Veterans
Program Application Specialist eCMS (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 15, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule Available
Cons: High Stress Work Environement
Albeit this is an environment where those of us in the acquisitions and contracting community can excel and move forward while serving your countries veterans, the general work environment at this time is challenging. Not only is senior management not accountable for the things they do or lack there of, everything nowadays is in response to the political environment which is currently in turnmoil in regards to the VA. All the uncertainty and response to negative headlines has a negative affect on the workforce and the actions taken by senior management which does not really address the issues. Budget cuts also put a strain on those of us with strenuous positions. There is no cash incentive for those of us working extremely hard or enough recources coupled with the fact you may be moved around or the constant threat of staff cuts. Co-workers are generally very pleasant and hard working. A typical day runs about nine hours if you are working a flex schedule and they are extremly busy if you work in contracting. You will not have a day that does not have multiple meetings, phone calls, numberous emails etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the end result of what you do is directly affecting the veterans who need service in a possitive way. Although everyone wants to excell professionally, we really do it for the veterans. I am contantly learing on the job, if it relates to the acquistions systems we use or contract law. Never a dull day for sure. Management can be hit or miss, some managers are very effective, especially those at the employee level. All that changes the higher you go up the chain. All in all it is a rewarding place to work if you work in the contracting or acquisition fields, you can definately excell if you are willing to study and work hard. If you care about this countries verterans and you are willing to get out what you put in it can be a rewarding place to work for sure.
Decent place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHMay 15, 2015
LPNs are underutilized in terms of what we are permitted to do. We're not allowed to call providers, verify orders, give/take report, etc. Due to the job classification structure, it's difficult for LPNs to seek comparable compensation outside of LPN positions.
Productive and fast paced
Transportation Clerk (Current Employee), Muskogee, OKMay 13, 2015
Control funds for several accounts totaling approximately $4,000,000.
Arrange and control all transport for the Medical Facility and three Clinics.
Determine eligibility for transport and travel pay.
Obligate funds for ambulance, hired car, and taxi use.
Authorize approximately four hundred travel vouchers per day.
Worked there over ten years almost went crazy
Claims (Former Employee), Denver, ColoradoMay 13, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits
Cons: everything else was terrrible
Extremely over worked usually 48-50 hours per week. Once I finished one case 100 more were dropped on my desk. Management expected frontline employees to fix all the problems instead of creating solutions. Hiring practices questionable. Work environment like nothing else I have ever experienced. Was treated as if I were in the military and being that I wasn't ex-military I did not fit into the work culture. Had too many bosses to count, micro-managed. I wanted to make a difference but was taught to think of customers as numbers....
I am a very enthusiastic, easy going, a team worker with good spirit, dependable and reliable. I maintain a calm demeanor during stressful situations.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Lake Nona, FLMay 13, 2015
Pros: some time ffamily patient bought foods for employees, when family patient seems how effor to doing care to their patient for gratitud to given foods.
Cons: I have 30 minuts of break and two times the 15 minut of beak this is for relax, because it's extremely hard work.
It's busy and hard work also stressful.

I learned many thing like catheterize ,scan bladder and finger stick.

I'm easy going to team work.

It's to patient behavior work,because same patient refused total care and I doing care to my patient ,for me I have a conversation nice and respectful to my patient and take my time to doing my job.

The most enjoyable was the patient and I we were dancing or listening the music,and I singing with my patient the all patient be happiest.
Very Stressful
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee), PhiladephiaMay 13, 2015
Pros: Overtime
Cons: Mandatory Overtime, No unity, changes everyday
Love working and assisting Veterans but the culture of the work place is very stressful. Benefits are ok as well. Have great co-workers.
Respected for what I could do.
CAD Instructor (Former Employee), Bonham, TXMay 12, 2015
Pros: Steady set hours, no overtime. No deadline preassures. Helping Veterans.
Cons: The distance from my home and family.
I trained them in how to use the CAD software their contractors were using, I cleaned their computer equipment so it would last longer. I advised them on what other equipment would increase productivity.
I learned their computer software controlled the heating and cooking system for a 700 bed hospital and the company which sold the system to them was unresponsive when a critical issue occurred.
I learned how to hack into the control software and allow them to establish the desired temperature settings for the patients.
Management was helpful and provided the tools from training courses the employees had attended. With the notes from their training I was able to satisfy their needs. As a contractor, I really had no co-workers. The employees were my resource and my client.
It was difficult to grasp the concept of Spend the budget in order to get at least the same budget next year, I enjoyed the personalities of the other workers. They made my work, which they did not understand, an opportunity to enlighten them with computer concepts which were unaddressed in their previous training. The contractor which sold the control system to them had set up a single hard drive system while naming the single drive as drive number two. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with the people I was there to help.
The VA Medical Center is an enjoyable place to work
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist (Current Employee), Chillicothe, OHMay 12, 2015
Pros: Enjoy dealing with patients
Cons: Do not enjoy administration
Since employed at the VA Medical Center, Chillicothe, Ohio I started as a Clinical Pharmacist and eventually became the Clinical Pharmacy Coordinator. Recently I prepared a Business Plan to place a Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in our Hepatitis C Clinic. I have been working in this role for two months now because it was listed as a two month detail.

I have enjoyed working in this area, evaluating patient's lab values, starting treatment, and getting to tell patients that the virus has cleared their bodies. This has been the most enjoyable part of my job to date.
They did provide me with temp. work and income.
Biomedical Engineer assistant (Former Employee), Audie Murphy Hospital, Sajn Antonio, TXMay 12, 2015
They did provide work/income, but it was not employment. It was temporary work compensation. It was being a helper to an employed person.
Stay Away
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 12, 2015
Pros: Cannot be laid off
Cons: Corruption, lack of advancement, Cronyism, low pay, bad managment, disorganization etc.
Orlando is one of the worst managed VA facilities in the nation.

Recently there has been a flood of employees leaving. While it is better than no job, if you have opportunities elsewhere take them.

The VA is one of the lowest ranked of all the large federal departments to work for and for good reason. In Orlando, its who you know and who likes you versus what you know and how well you perform.

You have been warned.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$2,594 per month
Medical Support Assistant
$38,811 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel