Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,177 reviews matching the search
Job security
Radiologic Technologist/Quality Management (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 2, 2016
Most likely you will be treated as nothing more than a worker. Most management have no idea how to treat people. They do offer great benefits and its almost impossible to get fired. This is a perfect job for people getting ready to retire because no matter how hard or ho less you work you wont get recognition. They plays favorites and its not what you know, but whom you know. They do not care about your education and advancing it does little for your career. They reward time in service and not education nor hard work. There are so many rules and regulations that no one really knows what they mean anymore.
Pros
Job security, benefits
Cons
pay much lower than outside, managers, nothing happens quick, so much Red Tape
Politics
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 18, 2016
I have been an employee at the VA for almost 10 years. And it has gotten worse, there are so many politics, it is more about numbers and less about the Veterans or staff. Staff have no rights what so ever. This is the only place as a professional I have ever worked were I have been cussed out, yelled at, assaulted and the patient stays within the practice and absolutely nothing is done. The job is easy but the emotional and mental stress are too much. And NO ONE!!!! seems to care that employees are dropping like flies or getting smart and quitting. Not to mention that the pay doesn't go up but benefits have and the cost of living has. There is little room for advancement, so you are stuck in a dead end position. As an LPN you are replaceable. I have set in meeting when the nurse executive says Nurses and LPN's, that shows that my hard work isn't valued. The LPN's work primarily all clinics and do the work that no one else is willing to do. But they remain an unvalued member of the healthcare team.
Pros
Mon-Fri work schedule
Cons
management, advancement, salary
Productive work environment, supportive leadership, quality work-life blanace
Sr. Information Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 4, 2016
The VA served as a phenomenal pivoting point for my career. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Senior leadership with very engaging and always supportive, as were co-workers and staff. I most enjoyed the ability to be at the cutting edge of emerging security technologies, both offensive and defensive. The only challenge I can attest to is the tendency for interdepartmental communications taking a great deal of time, given the very large nature of their IT infrastructure and number of divisions.
Pros
Comfortable work environment, competitive compensation, flexibility
Cons
No major cons to speak of
Terrible
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Fort Harrison, MT 59636February 22, 2016
The management is very bad. There is no internal advancement, they like to hire new instead of there own people already there. There is also a culture of fast and loose with the regulations. It seems the workers meaning GS4 to GS 9's were very knowledgeable but they did not make the ultimate decisions sadly.
benefits
Cons
Bad management
Great Mission
Field Examiner (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 2, 2016
Department of Veteran Affairs was one of the greatest places I have ever worked. I loved every minute of it. It was a great experience to serve those who served this country. You never have to work a day in your life if you like what you do.
Pros
compensation, benefits, work life and family life balance, good working environment
Cons
little opportunity for promotion
horrible
Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 31, 2016
This place is not ran like a company, but a fraternity. you have to be friends with someone in management in order to have any change of advancement.
benefits
Cons
management
Great opportunities for entry level professionals
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 28, 2016
Veterans Affairs was a unique place to be employed. The salary and benefits were very competitive, however the structure of the organization from my vantage point needed to be updated. There should have been greater opportunities for team building to enhance overall performance of the employees.
Productive and a lot of potential for advancement
Accounts Recievable (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNMarch 25, 2016
My favorite part about this job is that you are treated as a trusted employee and are able to do your job without management breathing down your neck. I am learning something new day-in and day-out and there is always work to be done. Job security is another great part of the job with much potential for advancement.
Pros
Pot lucks, flexibility, job security
Toxic stay away
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 23, 2016
Wow the only thing that I've seen since working for the Veterans Affairs is toxic behavior. You can almost get away with assault and it's swept under the rug. It takes an act of God to get fired.
Pros
Benefits, Government pension
Cons
Management, Hiring
Opportunity for continued learning experience and challenges
Medical support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 25, 2016
Good friendly place to work for. Provided learning experiences as well as challenges. Multi-tasked to complete daily duties. Scheduled lunch times and breaks. Excellent working opportunity to work with people. Time management is required and employees are willing to work together to accomplish daily tasks and share knowledge/skills.
Pros
Excellent benefits and work experiences
Cons
Not many
Rewarding and Gratifying
Veteran Claims Representative II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2016
There is a passion for serving veterans and their families and the ability to help with a successful claim process is a truly rewarding experience. Our team works together and independently to formulate avenues for veterans to be awarded with VA veterans benefits. I review backlog service connection claims and help to move them forward for rating purposes. The most difficult part of the job is not being able to get a veteran granted benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping veterans every single day. Management has taught me that hard work pays off through example.
Pros
Saving veterans futures
Cons
inability to assist with a successful claim
Improving culture and great salary/benefits
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 31, 2016
Sure, the pace of change and innovation in government can be slow. However, with hard work and creativity those with vision, true desire for change, and patience can make a lasting difference. A great number of talented individuals work here and sometimes all that is needed is a leader willing to remove bureaucratic obstacles. One would be challenged to find a better work life/balance given the hours and high salary.
Great place to work!
Supervisory, Environmental Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMarch 24, 2016
Great place to work serving the Veterans of our country, with opportunities to work alongside a diverse group of people. Provides the tools for career advancement, stability and great benefits.
Must have an eye for accuracy
medical support assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 10, 2015
Busy, have to be able to multi-task. Working with a high geriatric population that can have lots of challenges. Hard of hearing and sometimes cannot understand technology. There is something to do from open to close and the tasks are never-ending. I've learned a lot about military life and challenges they face. Management is good and easy to work with. They tell you your job duties and trust you to do them. My co-workers and I work as a team. I am a person that likes to complete tasks but I have to keep in mind that it's never-ending which can be maddening. Its very satisfactory to know that I am helping those who served who wrote a check to the government up to and including their lives. Now I can give back.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Very stressful
Making sure the Veterans would received the help they needed.
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2015
Providing benefits for the Veterans and making sure they understood the benefits they would be receiving once approved. I learned how to conduct Group Orientations and third party billing. I enjoyed working with the management because they were team players. Co-workers some of them were not team players. The hardest part of the job was when the Veterans wasn't approved for the benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I help with events.
Pros
Most of the department were team players.
Cons
When Veterans weren't approved for the benefits.
Great Benefits, Very Fast Paced
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Union Grove, WIMarch 15, 2016
Great staff and co-workers. Management does not seem to care about the staff. CNA's are fantastic and greatly overworked.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Good starting job for a federal civil Service position
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVDecember 30, 2015
The rating scale pretty much sums up their general profile. It's NOT a company-it's the federal government! I learned many things about how government operates, while attaining many additional skill-sets. I do miss the people, but not the bio-hazards I was regularly exposed to!
Pros
Great benefits!
Cons
No room for advancement without political, nepotistic or patronage-related, connections.
Great place to work helping veterans.
Administrative Employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 22, 2015
A typical day was fast paced with a lot of routine duties. Duties were mostly fiscal but interaction with veterans was a daily occurrence. Because of this, I had the opportunity to see first hand the difficulties facing our veterans today. The rewards were great and sometimes difficult to deal with, as I watched them deal with their disabilities.
Regarding management, as with any branch of the government it had its deficits, overall management did the best they could considering the fiscal limitations. My co-workers were mostly veterans and I found a sense of brotherhood and a dedicated work force. The hardest part of the job was dealing with constant change and uncertainty regarding annual fiscal policy. The most enjoyable part of my job was the friendships I forged over my many years of service.
Pros
Personnel benefits
Cons
Fiscal uncertainty
Food Service Worker
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAFebruary 25, 2016
Part time 30hrs is only 15 hours a week, they don't tell you its 30hrs a pay period. Nice place but management say the will help you but they do not. I am currently in the position of loosing everything and need more hours and they post this job on here, so this is helping me. Also by the time they take all deductions, I have less than $40.00, just enough to fill my tank. I am so disappointed in my supervisor and the current HR specialist which I have expressed my current situation too.
Pros
Co- workers are really nice.
Cons
not enough hours
competing priorities and deadlines on a daily basis
Supervisory Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 3, 2016
I love the VA and the mission we serve. I am a military veteran proud to serve other military veterans. Serious business, serious work, production environment. Hardest part of the job is motivating other employees who are not as dedicated to the cause.
Pros
compensation and promotion potential
Cons
heavy work load

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location