Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,294 reviews matching the search
management is not cooperative with labor.
Ratings Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 6, 2016
Management here is largely incompetent and corrupt, with some exception. The organization has unrealistic goals and methods by which to achieve them.. Employment is stable, benefits are solid the sole benefits of employment here.
HR at the VA
Staffing and Recruitment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHDecember 6, 2016
I've learned so much about HR working at the Department of Veterans Affairs. The training is outstanding. I especially enjoy reviewing requests for personnel action and coding the information into HRSmart. It helps me test my knowledge of OPM and VA staffing regulations.
Pros
Great training
really hectic
Human Resources Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  Mather, CADecember 6, 2016
needs a better and effecient system in PIV system and pre-employment process, co-workers are great, hard working employees, really busy 8 hour days, sometimes over time is required to get work done.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent employer for anyone willing to jump in and do the work
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 6, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the VA. I learned many skills that I have brought with me into my continued professional life. The pace of the job was quite fast, but things ran smoothly as everyone came together as a team.
Productive and rewarding
MRT (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIDecember 6, 2016
Productive and rewarding workplace that allows you to help veterans. Flexible schedule is a bonus. The people are cooperative and the pay IAW GS scale.
Great to give back
Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 6, 2016
It's great to have an opportunity to give back to veterans.

That is what I took away from my experience while working with the VA.
Great place
Professional Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 5, 2016
Sad to say, many misconceptions are from the outside-in and I understand that. I work within the VA with other Veterans and I assure you that we are doing the best within our limits to provide the best care and treatment for out Veterans. Those "bad decisions" come from other individuals.
A good learning experience working for the Department of veteran affairs
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 2, 2016
Loved my experience working with veterans and involving in programs such helping the homeless and interacting on different levels with far strong oral &written communcation skills.
Pros
U were recongized for ur proformance
Cons
Company changes
My Service to Our Veterans
Veteran Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 1, 2016
I enjoyed working a at the Department of Veterans Affairs. Will miss everyone. My upcoming retirement is January 3, 2017. Looking forward to part-time employment helping others.
Job security/excellent benefits
Audiology Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 30, 2016
Although I enjoy my job, the workload is extreme. Work environment is stressful, only due to workload. Supervisor is extremely helpful and understanding when it comes to home life.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Short lunch breaks, heavy workload
Not a good place to progress
Administrative (Current Employee) –  West Palm BeachNovember 30, 2016
Government job so all of the standard good things like Job Security but this is not a good place to advance. Supervisors would rather hire from another VA for promotions so they don't get accused of favoritism by promoting within. So, even though you may work hard and excel at your position, you will be treated the same as those who do the bare minimum. Sooner or Later even the most motivated workers figure this out so you either move on or become a bad employee.
Pros
Hard to get fired
Cons
too many to list
Pay was good
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2016
Upper management did not communicate well with staff members. It is a very political job and promotions are hard to get. Paid well.
Stressful but gratifying place to work
Veteran Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60612November 29, 2016
The place is ever-changing from new management to new rules every other day. The constant changes can cause much chaos, but on the other hand, it is very rewarding when you know you have helped a Veteran in a positive way.
Pros
You get to help a lot of Veterans
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
Great workplace, great management, bi-monthly birthday celebrations
Automation Assistant (Laboratory) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2016
The path lab is a great area to work. Management is supportive of advancement. Co-workers are considerate. I abhor filing, but enjoy typing dictation.
Pros
Paid days off
Cons
Parking
Wonderful place for career advancment.
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSNovember 28, 2016
Have enjoyed my time working here.
Has great opperunities for career advancements, and working there is simply rewarding in itself.
Exciting
Volunteer, Volunteer Services (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 28, 2016
Working with the staff has taught me more about the veterans that are in need of assistance. The breadth of knowledge that i have received , as well as the varied tasks that your staff manages daily provided an environment that was both exciting and challenging.
Horrible contractors
Medical Claims (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 24, 2016
The VA obviously doesn't do their research when hiring contractors. ATP2 has Cassandra House who has made threats to employees. Austin, TX VAFSC. Lack
Pros
Cons
Terrible contractor choices.
Fun place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 23, 2016
Working with the vets in the hospital, nice coworkers how to get along the hardest part of the job getting up in the morning
Pros
MEETING PEPOLE
Cons
MANAGEMENT
Good Team Work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington Veteran's Home RetsilNovember 22, 2016
It is a place where residents are well taken cared of and protected against any form of abuse. Management takes action as it happens. Good team work among staff. Good learning environment.
Pros
Benefits, Sick Leave, Vacation, Holiday Pay, OT
Cons
Short staffing during staff on vacation and Holidays
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCNovember 21, 2016
Very supportive staff. Flexible work schedule. Learned that many tasks are ongoing, so if you need quick gratification this is not for you. Overall very nice place to work. Ability for autonomy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.