Department of Veterans Affairs
1,024 reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Customer service for U.S. Veterans and their families
Mailroom and File Clerk (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIJuly 1, 2015
Pros: working with our nations veterans and their families
Cons: not having immediate supervision
The last 2 years were spent receiving medical records and claims, inputting them into the pay system, verifying them, and providing claim status to both vendors and veterans. 75% of the work was spent answering phone lines; emails; and status faxes. I learned that it is very hard for veteran's to get their outside medical bills paid. Management was not very supportive of our being behind in getting claims paid, and it was hard not having any bosses at our actual VA hospital, instead the management was all based in Denver, Co. and outside of their own people they didn't seem to care about the other VA's employees. Co workers were great, but 6 month's after the Central Business Office took over NonVACare 9 of 13 employees had to be replaced. Working for unconcerned management. Working with veterans and their families to ensure that the claims that were filed would get paid.
It's a job...
Support Assistant (Current Employee), AlabamaJuly 1, 2015
Not very flexible in schedule, work/life balance is non-existent. New employees are not made to feel very welcome, if you come from the "outside" its a hard transition.
Productive and fun work place.
Work Study Office Clerk (Former Employee), San Juan, PRJuly 1, 2015
A typical day at work would be related to any clerical work assigned for that day. I learned about the importance of confidentiality. The management and co-workers had high professional standards. The hardest part of the job was to balance my work and college study responsibilities. The most enjoyable part was to have a great experience of working for the Federal government.
Good place to work and advance
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Durham NCJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Job Security and retirement plan
Cons: Not for creative out going people. Typical day at desk all day.
Your job is fairly outlined and most of the time you will be doing your job only. The VA has a lot of regulations to slow down the process so they can catch scum. however, this can be very disappointing to veterans who have long waits for well deserved services.
Satisfying
Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 1, 2015
Enjoyed working here serving our nations veterans and having the opportunity to meet new people, and learn lots of new things.
Resourceful part time job with exceptional benefits.
V.A. Education Benefits Assistant (Former Employee), Pueblo, COJune 30, 2015
Fun job to transition from military back into civilian lifestyle, especially if you like the benefits and extra time to devote towards other ventures.

A typical day involves showing up and getting to your desk where your to do list usually sits. Nothing overbearing or strenuous, just busy work as some would say. Pretty easy and straightforward stuff.
I enjoyed working with Veterans
Police Officer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 30, 2015
Pros: We were giving freedom to do the job.
Cons: None
I have the ability to gather facts and use effective analytical and established methods to accurately assess a situation and determine appropriate course of action
Great Place to work
CT Technologist (Current Employee), Greenville, NCJune 29, 2015
The only reason I'm leaving is because my husband got a job elsewere and I have to move out of state. I can only speak for the clinic I work at, but everyone works together as a team and the patients are wonderful. I hate to leave :(
The benefits were exceptional.
Medical Technician (Phlebotomist) (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 29, 2015
Pros: paid time off
Cons: short staffed
A great workplace with wonderful benefits, gym, and childcare. Even though we were short staff we had a great team that actually work together to make sure our veterans were taken care of.
Warehouse
General Clerk III/ Lead (Current Employee), Newnan, GAJune 29, 2015
Confidential files
• Receiving and shipping
• Organization of shipment in designated area
• Receipt inventory
• Retrieval/Removal of boxes from warehouse to the production floor
• Removing supplies from warehouse to the production floor
• Keeping pallets organized on the production floor and warehouse
• Labeling areas for specific boxes
• Ensure areas are clean and organized
• Training and updates to employees in check-in and checkout process
Enjoyable place to work.
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 29, 2015
I would rather than not talk about my job on this site at all. It is an enjoyable place to work. It's the government so I don't know what else to say.
Medical Support Asst (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJune 29, 2015
Pros: they offer to pay for continuing education
Cons: opportunity to move up
I work in the mental health out patient department. It's a pleasure working with the veterans and hearing their stories. My computer learning experience is working in VISTA and CPRS entering patient information and other data intake. I also work in outlook, windows words, some power point, and excel. Management is fair as I don't need supervision because I do all my work in a timely manner. My co-workers and I work very well together. We all believe in teamwork. The hardest part of the job is trying to get a stressed out veteran in to see the doctor if they don't have an appointment. We are so full and short of staff but I do everything I can to get them in to see a doctor. The most part of the job is seeing a happy veteran get serviced and it makes me happy because these young men and woman are serving our country.
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), WasJune 28, 2015
Really good place to work for long term. Pay and benefits are good. Staff are welcoming and understanding. Good place to work.
Retired
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEJune 28, 2015
Pros: Flex-Time
Government is a nice place to work.. It is stable employment, good benefits. Working with the veterans was the most enjoyable part of working at the VAMC for me.
No Better Place to Be.
Medical Support Assisttant (Current Employee), MartinsburgJune 27, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
Working for the Department of Veteran Affairs is very rewarding. I get a sense of giving back to my fellow veterans. Great co workers, and enjoyed working with patients, the hardest part is trying to help patients that don't really want help. But looking at the fact that I tried my best ant their is always another.
Phlebotomy Externship
Phlebotomy Technician Externship (Former Employee), American Lake, WAJune 27, 2015
Excellent environment, Fantastic learning experience. The team was very friendly and knowledgeable, and the work was very rewarding.
If you can get in
nurse (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 24, 2015
Pros: great benefits if you get in
Cons: waiting
I have been in the hiring process since December of 2014.
It has now been almost 7 months. I have done everything asked of me in a timely manner, sent in all paperwork, transcripts, completed Equip twice, Vetpro, background and fingerprinting and had glowing recommendations from previous coworkers. So here I am, still in the "tentative offer" status. So frustrating. I am not holding my breath and have really just given up.
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
Former Security Assistant (Former Employee), NashvilleJune 23, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: Pick something
I just quit today to accept a lesser position. The office in Nashville is horrible and has very low morale. The management (senior police officers) has no idea what they're doing when it comes to getting dispatchers trained. You will work 12-hour shifts, and it gets VERY boring. The other dispatchers, at least one officer, and the admin clerk (who has been there 25 years) are all leaving. You will hate it there...I assure you. I was there three months and couldn't wait to leave.
VA benefits
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), St Louis MOJune 23, 2015
Determined eligibility for compensation, pension, and education for veterans and their family's, great company to work for, Well structured
Productive Workplace
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJune 23, 2015
answer phones, make appointments, file records. Administrative Work. Awesome staff, productive day. Update patient files, contact information, medical history, appointment reminders.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$37,210 per year
Licensed Practical Nurse
$40,879 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel