Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,373 reviews matching the search
Best nursing job ever!
Staff Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2017
A typical day at work training new employees, keeping track of staff education records and their on line education. I was involved with the staff Dr.'s, Nurses (RN, LPN, NA), PT, OT, ST and managers of the units I was responsible. The work included group and one-on-one education every single day plus daily meetings for the position. I learned new stuff everyday and I loved it there. The educational opportunities are endless for everyone at the VA. Every time there was a management change, they wanted to make a mark by making changes that didn't work in the past. thus, a constant cycle of failure which was frustrating. The hardest part of the job was not being able to get rid of lazy workers and some managers who only knew how to carry a tablet, dress up for work, arrive last and leave first. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff nurses and doctors and of course, the veterans!
Pros
Unlimited educational opportunites, pay and benefits
Cons
A few lazy workers that can't be fired and some managers shouldn't be managers
Assistance processing the needs of Veterans.
File Clerk, GS-0305-2 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2016
Served at customer service desk. Took names and personal information of veterans seeking health benefits, education and financial compensation. Pulled and organized files for the Adjudications department to rate veterans applying for benefits. Assigned to special work detail where Social Security and Veterans history required verification to receive benefits. Enjoyed learning how our government works to help our Veterans. Management consisted of strict security in a relaxed environment. Hardest part was travel by NYC transportation services. Enjoyed being trusted and picked for special assignments and access to confidential records.
Pros
Learned all the benefits I qualified for as a Veteran.
Cons
Job was temporay.
Low pay and limited advancement opportunities for non-clinical roles
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 12, 2016
I work in a low-level administrative position. With a bachelor's degree in Business Admin, and nearing completion of graduate school, I am highly under-employed. Despite relevant experience and education, the VA is focused on hiring individuals based on how long they have been with the VA, not what new, innovative ideas an individual brings to the table. Bottom line; If you've worked here long enough, you'll move up gradually, but if you're just starting your career and looking to grow, this is not the place for you.
The culture is toxic, and phrases such as "that's not my job" are commonly heard. As a veteran, I hoped to impart change on the VA in order to better serve my fellow vets, but my efforts continuously fall on deaf ears.
Pros
Benefits, Vacation
Cons
Culture, reactive not proactive management
Very Stressful Environment with daily changes
Dyonyx VBMS Systems Analyst (AFMS) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2017
A typical day at work includes answering phones and emails helping employees of the VA with trouble tickets. The System is way behind and instead of the programmers fixing the many issues with it they rather ad to an already overloaded system. There is no training for the system we are troubleshooting so you have to learn as you go. This can cause major confusion if you have not worked in this field before. The team atmosphere is great however the moral is very low and not supported much by upper management.The hardest part of the job is the lack of understanding that the workload at some times can be heavy but management is more so worried about numbers and that goes without saying. While I enjoy working there, there were too many leaders all with different policies in which we would not know who to follow.
Pros
Elevated Security Clearance, Benefits
Cons
No overtrime, not enough hours in the day to complete the work.
Highly complex organization with many layers of decision making
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Haven, CTNovember 9, 2016
It was a career position but the work culture was not what I expected it to be. The frustrations occur with management that are promoted when they behave badly. The organization is now going through a paradigm shift, and the hope is with younger talent the work culture will get better.
Pros
Good benefits package compared to other organizations
Cons
Management, Bad Managers are very difficult to let go
VA Police
Lead Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 11, 2016
The VA is an excellent organization in general. The objective is to provide Veterans with the upmost care and consideration in all matters. In a Law Enforcement capacity there are times where enforcement and fairness can be blurred, but overall my department has done a great job of being as fair and equitable as possible.
There are some organizational problems, and sometimes people whom lack certain leadership skills are in positions of authority, but this may be the case with other government agencies as well. Sometime departments don't necessarily work well with other, but that's also a common aspect within government.
Overall this is an excellent place to work with great potential and benefits. I would recommend.
Pros
Fairness in treatment and loyalty to Veterans
Cons
Poor middle managment
Great compensation versus low job security
Insurance Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTNovember 6, 2016
Very high pace environment with great compensation. However, management poorly manages people with a diverse background and acts unprofessionally at times. Management is not supportive of employees and can be harsh with deadlines. The culture is very punitive and negative.
Pros
Great compensation
Cons
Low in job and work life balance
Productive and Fun work place with many benefits.
Program Specialist GS-09 Veterans Benefits (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 13, 2017
Worked at the VA Medical Center Augusta, Georgia in various positions for over fourteen years. Counseled Veterans and family members on benefits and VA services. Assisted veterans and family members with claims for disability compensation, Home loans, Burial benefits, Educational benefits, and Medical benefits.
Pros
Paid Sick and annual leave, annual bonus for outstanding performance.
Cons
Worked weekends and holidays to support National Guard and Reserve Troops.
Productive place to give back to veterans
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Big Spring, TXAugust 30, 2016
check messages often, check patients into clinic and made followup appointments. contact providers when their patients check in, or cancel appointments. I have learned different systems that the Veteran's Hospital use. Management is always there for discussions, suggestions, and family issues. My co workers are team players and get along with everyone.The hardest part of the job would be not enough time to go out for lunch. i do enjoy working with people from different background,
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
short lunch
The Nurse Advice Line is Great place to work
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
I disagree with the previous comment about the VISN Nurse Advice Call Center. I have worked here for many years and have never had difficulty with the management. The turnover is very low. Most people have left to retire; over the past 10 years, only 5 out of 50 co-workers and 2 left to relocate. Most of my co-workers have worked here for 7+ years. The main problem is a small group of staff members that are unhappy with their lot in life and come to work angry every day. It is the same group that complains all of the time and picks fights with other staff. The benefits are great and yes I love the 5 weeks vacation. The VA overall is a great place to work and I think the nursing staff is treated very well in our unit. This is the best place I have ever worked and I have worked many different places in the private sector.
Tough, but meaningful work
Health Technician (Former Employee) –  VA New York Harbor Healthcare SystemOctober 4, 2016
Being a Federal civil servant is a tough job but being one at the Department of Veterans Affairs, especially in a hospital setting, serving veterans, is great. The biggest challenge is not serving veteran patients, but rather other staff who don't believe in human freedom. But never fear, the VA finds ways around and through these people. It's government work. You cannot just fire people; in fact, you cannot fire them at all.
Pros
Great benefits, meaningful work
Cons
Government culture
Rewarding job but...
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Employees do not receive the proper support from management and HR. Employees must deal with distorted department procedures and policy. It's a numbers game. Quantity is more important to management than quality of product and the Veteran is the one who suffers.
Pros
Co-workers, pay & benefits, commute.
Cons
Management, HR, in house cafe/snack bar, parking...
It has great benefits and love the Government Holidays off
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Painesville, OHNovember 2, 2016
I love the benefits and love the Government Holidays off. I love the fact that we always get the weekends off.

I learned to how to become very efficient and very organized, since I started working at the VA.

Hardest part of my day is finding enough time, to call all our patients to get them scheduled for their appointments.
Pros
Great benefits, fexibility, always have weekends off
Cons
I don't like the drive from where I live.
Productive Work Environment
Program Support Assistant/Term Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work includes answering phones, inputting clients information in our system called RCS, setting up rooms for specified meetings, copying, faxing, and filing. The hardest part of the job is my commute from home to the job. My co-workers are a great team and are great to work with.
Pros
Great benefits and great work environment
Cons
Just the commute from home to work
Review Summary
Mid-Level Management Position (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 13, 2016
I worked there in mid-management, but found that I had hit a wall as far as advancement was concerned. I was also concerned about the constant reorganization of upper management in my later years. It seemed as if no one know who was supervising who. Also, no one could figure out why certain people were promoted over others. I enjoyed helping veterans and their families immensely until I was advised to answer their question, mail any form they requested and get of the phone. Basically, the organization had lost sight of its own mission vision and values: to provide world class customer service and first call resolution.
Pros
Benefits and Salary, Ability to Obtain Continuing Education
Cons
See above review.
Working with Veterans is great, Management is not
Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Point, GAJanuary 14, 2017
If you are Caucasian in the Atlanta area, you will not see much progression on your role. For instance: I was told that I am not "Hood Enough" to get into a higher position here when I applied. For a Federal Job that tends to the needs of Veterans, they do not work very well with employees that go on Military Duties/Training.
Pros
Benefits, Workload is light
Cons
Progression
Learning about the government and veterans
Administrative Specialist II/GS-4/5 (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 3, 2016
This was my first full-time job. Although I had worked previous part time jobs in college and between full time. This gave me an appreciation for veterans and what they were entitled to. At that time, it was easier for veterans to use their home loan benefits but some also struggled with staying in their homes. I learned a great deal about real estate, claims and processing new home loans.
Pros
Gaining knowledge
Cons
Not satisfying all veterans
Easy RN Job
RN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 19, 2017
Easiest RN job I have had within an emergency setting. Pay is better at the bedside than most private hospitals.
Charting system is archaic and most management is irresponsible which is displayed through staff behavior.
A lot of older nurses who cannot adapt to change which is disappointing.
Pros
Bedside RN pay, Benefits
Cons
management
Working for the Federal Government
Health System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCDecember 30, 2016
I enjoy working as a Credentialer. The work is repetitive but rewarding knowing that I am the first line of defense for our nation's veteran population.
Pros
Great holiday time, good benefits, good job security
Cons
Promotions stop at a certain point in certain career fields
Worst place ever
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKDecember 8, 2016
Terrible staffing, even worse leadership and team work skills. Don't waste your time! Seriously. My supervisors did nothing they should have done about people not following rules and they will work you like a dog and then complain about how you're not enough. No professionalism whatsoever.
Benefits
Cons
Rules only apply to certain people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location