Department of Veterans Affairs
1,049 reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Medical Support Assistant
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Lorain, OHJuly 28, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: short lunches
The US Department of Veteran Affairs was a great place to work. I learned a lot through my coworkers as well at the patients. Everybody in this clinic was great to work with.
Many great caring individuals
Facility Management Engineer (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJuly 28, 2015
Loaded with great caring individuals, Typical government regulated agency. Challenges daily to accomplish what has been asked of you due to red tape and regulations.
aerving veterans is a noble/worthwhile duty
CA (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: resources to perform task
Cons: constant changes in work duties
Advancement for me was not possible being a civilian employee. It was a federal job.
Co-workers were not as dedicated to the mission.
Administrative work in a medical setting
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJuly 24, 2015
A decent place to work, great opportunities, good coworkers, management was responsive and competent. Work was interesting and kept the worker busy. Pay was good for the position.
Fulfilling job helping fellow Veterans
Work Study (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Satisfaction to help others
Cons: No advancement, part time only, work study position.
I had the opportunity to meet and help many Veterans and most importantly to help them with problems they had at school. I had access to thousands of files and fix issues to improve their lives at college.
Hostile working environment
Medical Laboratory Technician/Phlebotomist (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Compensation/Benefits
Cons: Hostile working environment due to supervisor.
A typical day at work is very stressful and there's a lot of tension within the section. Every man/woman for themselves because you'll be thrown to the wolves. Supervisor is the problem. Within two years, the supervisor has had EEO complaints, union complaints. High turn over in employees. Your hard work isn't appreciated.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Durham, NCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: The brotherhood culture
Cons: The work stress
The VA does good work and most of the jobs are very demanding. The staff at the VA are very dedicated to their jobs and have a since of brotherhood.
My review of Veteran Medical Center
Telecommunications Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Great place of strong business mined men and women and hard work goal planning
Cons: Need more leadership and growth and development
My everyday work flow working in the VA Medical Center is great. There is a lot of work to be done, so I'm always busy. I learned so much about the telecommunication and how cool it is to be the telephone guy at work I manage very well with supervisors,
team leads and deputy chiefs when it comes to communication and assignments. My co-workers are super great when it comes to getting work done, and to be committed, persistent,and consistent around the clock. The most high about my job is assisting veterans everyday. These veterans make me a better person each and everyday I come to work. I look forward to seeing theses guys. The most enjoyable part of my job is listening to the soldiers tell their war stories while I'm on my break. You can never learn to much from a veteran. I love that part of my job hands down....
The work environment is very focused and directed to achieving annual performance objectives.
ACQUISITION ANALYST (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Very little leave.
The job assignment at VA was very interesting and provided an opportunity for me to perform many varied types of assignments.
while in school
VA Work-Study (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 20, 2015
During my school year, it helped me pick my hours because of being a student. Learned alot about VA benefits. Helped grow other skills too.
Wonderful Patients, Wonderful Staff
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Co-worker Friendly, Pay was adequate, good benefits, great patients and staff.
Cons: Not enough equipment/supplies at times during budget crunches.
I learned a lot about the hard work and sacrifice our soldiers have given this country. I, being a Viet Nam era veteran, learned to appreciate that kindness and sensitivity goes a long way in the Military Community.
My Coworkers were a part of OUR team. Friendly, always willing to loan a helping hand.
My managers were wonderful. They were mentors. I was always interested in learning my job to the best of my ability, and the managers always were willing to help me accomplish that goal.
The Most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the look on the faces of the guests/patients/staff when I would finish cleaning the rooms and bathrooms. I got many, many compliments of how "beautiful" the rooms looked when I was finished.
Challenging job
Budget Analyst, GS (Former Employee), Reno, NevadaJuly 18, 2015
Pros: bonus for hard workers willing to advance and learn
Cons: none
Customer Support, exceptional training advancement. Awarded for the hard work. Enjoy working with co-workers and customers.
VA blocking out hackers
Senior Security Analyst Tier 3 Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MIJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Great team work.
Cons: No direct or standard way of doing things.
You can learn a lot of new things in the realm of security. A lot of research goes into finding out about possible vulnerabilities and how to re-mediate the security problems
Interesting and valuable learning environment.
MRI Technologist (Current Employee), West Roxbury and Jamaica Plains, MAJuly 16, 2015
Pros: great staff, wonderful environment
Cons: long commute
Excellent patient care. Sincere and dedicated service to our veterans and their families with a remarkable ability to provide continuous advanced education to each and every member of the health care system.
Secure job
Anatomical Pathology Technicia (Current Employee), San FranciscoJuly 15, 2015
This is a very secure job but has a lot of politics involve when it comes to higher management. Expect a lot of let downs when it comes to working ethics. The only thing that's keeping me from working is the veterans, they need better quality care and I want to be a part of that.
Working temporary for the VA gave me experiences on the phone and dealing with day to day issues.
Telecommunications Operator (temp.) (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 14, 2015
Answer phones
How to have patience dealing with the public
Management was very approachable
co-workers were easy to get along with
No major issues to deal with
Co- workers made me feel welcomed
Great working in the Veterans Affairs, dedicated to serving our nation's Veterans.
Administrative Staff (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Serving other Veterans; flexibility in the work environment
As an Assistant Research Project Coordinator, I helped maintain and provide budget input for medical projects/grants, as well as process all necessary documentation necessary for medical research studies. As an internal administrative officer in charge of all administrative support for the Quality Improvement Resources Center, I oversaw all admin functions, including and not limited to the organization and coordination of all travels, reimbursements, security and accountability of office equipment, and work orders.

As a former military officer in charge of up to 180 soldiers and civilians, multi-tasking and accurate decision-making were very valuable, critical skills set. Again, in the civilian workforce, these skills came in very useful, but with a civilian sensibility, which to me was a very valuable gain. In the center, the team consisted of four other teammates, who were very knowledgeable in their chosen fields and made the working environment that much easier.

The hardest part of the job was that often times, my job required me to work with colleagues in other departments (i.e. travels section, finance section, IT solutions section, etc) who may take a bit longer to process paperwork in the bureaucracy that they were a part of, and which is outside of our immediate control. Also, due to this bureaucracy, there were situations where there was a lack of clear customer support processes, often times leading to wasted time and parallel effort to get one job done.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that 1) I was doing work directly related to supporting research that will help Veterans, knowing that, I as a Veteran, will also gain benefit from the center's research efforts in the long run; 2) as a professional, I am learning the complex process of medical research in the Veterans Affairs, getting me back in the professional working environment after five years of hiatus, involving professional clergy training and schooling.
Working for the VA
Police Officer (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJuly 12, 2015
It can be great in many aspects, but it can be very stressful at times as well due to management and policy issues. Rewarding assisting fellow veterans.
The most enjoyable job I ever had
Social Worker Associate (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 9, 2015
I really like working with Veterans,it gave me scene accomplishment.The fact that I myself am veteran and I could empathize with what they are experiencing.I had excellent co-workers.I learned patient and how actively listen.
Helping is great but you are limited by your enviroment
Supervisory Veterans Representative (GS-13) (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 8, 2015
I have daily been responsible for technical and administrative matters as the Coach Of the Regional Office Triage Team and Assistant Coach of the Public Contact Team. I have been responsible for 160,000 files at one of the largest Regional offices in VA. I have daily acted as the full coach of the Cleveland Regional Triage/IPC Team for 36 months. I have daily supervised twenty three employee and completed their time and attendance in reports. I was daily responsible for personnel administration and additional actions for 23 to 45 employees. I have three years working supervisory experience of the federal personnel system including classification, staffing, recruitment, performance evaluation, career development, labor relations, appeals, grievances, adverse actions, and employee rights and responsibilities

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$40,679 per year
Attendant Counselor
$2,599 per month

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel