Department of Veterans Affairs

1.1K reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

VAMC
Program Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 31, 2015
Touch basis with the staff, proceed with the projects as planned. Make sure veteran needs are taken care of and reach out to staff and make sure their needs are met and taken care of as well.
Educational
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 31, 2015
A typical day at the VA is as a clerk you are on the register most of the day. You meet interesting veterans and hear their stories. You will have to deal with rude people from time to time.
Pros
Free lunches and the co-workers
Cons
standing for hours.
Our service man are the most selfless human beings I have ever work with
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Haven, CTAugust 31, 2015
The floor where I work is very hectic, a typical day at work includes assisting patient with personal care, meals, vitals signs, glucometers, documenting lab results, medical records .
I learned time management is very important to accomplish a complete day.
Hardest part of the day is not giving all the patients the time and care you would if there were enough staff to assist with the work load.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Poor management and not enough staff
N/A
Federal Law Enforcement Officer, Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 29, 2015
Currently working a "Panama" schedule. When fully staffed, have every other weekend off.

Currently extremely short staffed and working approximately 52 hours of overtime every two weeks.
Gov contractor
Senior Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2015
Supportive management. worked on a long term project. Overall satisfactory. The clients were very knowledgeable of their needs. My team was very intelligent. There was challenges in getting improvements implemented
The VA was an enjoyable place to work and see how good a care our veterans received and to be a part of that.
Environmental Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 27, 2015
Working for the Veterans Affairs Hospital was a joy for me being that i am also a veteran and to come to work knowing that I was not only taking care of the veterans coming back from war but I was still giving back to my country and community every time I visited a patients room to see if that room or area was clean and squared away so they would be comfortable and be able to get healthy and back home.
Pros
Good benefits, learned a good job skill and how to manage.
Great Place with Great History of Helping Veterans
Facility Revenue Manager - Phoenix VAMC (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2015
This is a great place to have a positive impact on the lives of our Veterans. In a way it is a way of serving our country by providing excellent service to those who give us our freedom!
Much more fulfilling at hospital than central office
Management Analyst, GS (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2015
I found the hospital more organized than central office in DC, although we complained about the disorganization at every level. Good work life and pay. VA is modernizing much more quickly than other agencies due to younger generations and technology which I found unique. Promotions are quicker and more often than other agencies. Very busy jobs.
Cons
Horrible high level management; bad employees who know they cannot be fired
Productive and dedicated work place
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AlAugust 26, 2015
Productive and dedicated workplace. I love working for the VA. I get to assist Veterans and see how my work is benefits the organization and those whom they serve.
About the VA in Roseburg
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Roseburg ORAugust 26, 2015
I LOVED my job, I loved the people I worked with, I loved the environment and I loved working with and helping veterans. I did not like how I was told that if I accepted the low paying and low grade position it would not be held against me and that I would be able to apply for more suitable positions that I qualified for and then when I tried I was told that I could not unless I quit and reapplied as an outsider. Human Resources was also an obstacle to truly understanding my rights, my options and my opportunities. I loved working at the VA and it was a very hard decision to quit and HOPE that someday I would be able to go back and get paid for the job I was doing.
Pros
The Veterans and most of the people that work at the VA
Cons
PAY, benefits and opportunities once hired
Challenging
Intermittent RN Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2015
Tough and challenging work place. You meet different people from all walks of life. You take the good and the bad to make your day. Staffing the hospital plays a major role of my job.
Miss this place!!!
Nursing Assistant/Emergency Room Tech (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 25, 2015
I am a former US Army airborne medic and working in the emergency department allowed me to use my military leadership and medical skills in a variety of ways. Really miss working there!
Great culture, management problems
Veteran's Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 25, 2015
Loved working and serving our veterans. Little chance for temp employees to become permanent. Management could be difficult and abusive. Plenty about this in the news.
Pros
great people
Cons
bad management
typical day
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 25, 2015
Fun work place with supportive staff from management. High call volume from veterans. Work flow is steady from day to day. When you work hard it is notice by management. The VA has some room to move up as long as you stay with it. Learn as much as you can. Always ask questions when you don't understand. It's a great place to work!!!!
The best of everything with Federal Government
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Northport , NYAugust 24, 2015
When you work for the Federal Government you work in every department of the Hospital.A very large vicinity geared to our Veterans. State of the art facilities
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Mandatory Over time
Good gig but not for everyone
HCHV Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Eglin CBOC, Shalimar, FLAugust 23, 2015
I enjoy talking with clients, hearing their stories with empathy, providing assistance where able, and simply sharing their days. Clients come first and I have no problem adjusting to their schedules vs. forcing them to adapt to mine. By treating clients respectfully I am able to accomplish much more, and feel better about myself at the same time.
Pros
Interesting client stories, not a fixed location
Cons
Bureaucracy is not necessarily fun but manageable.
APRN - nurse practitioner
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  MidwestAugust 22, 2015
The APRN role at the VA has grown more difficult in the past years. It is quite frustrating trying to treat a veteran only to be told by a RN- who is not an APRN to change the treatment plan. National leadership is attempting to change who supervises APRNs but resistance is met across the nation by the nursing departments. Until APRNs are managed by APRNs I would not rec working at the VA as a nurse practitioner.
Pros
Veterans, l Ability to make a difference with underserved, Wonderful benefits 5 weeks vacation
Cons
Management, Lack understanding of the APRN role, lack of support for the APRN role from space, clerical assistance etc.
Alright, but too political
Veteran Student Benefits Advisor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 21, 2015
As a VA contractor working on a college campus you get a front row seat to educational and governmental politics.

Upper managment likes to take advantage of you and try to force you to do things outside of your contract guidelins
Pros
Good Co-workers, Great purpose
Cons
Bad upper management, inconsistent pay schedule
Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2015
 Conducted the input and extraction of confidential information into the CSR system.
 Assist program Directors/ Specialists with preparation of packets for various meeting and workshop.
 Provide customer service.
 Prepared mailings; distributed incoming correspondence, mail, merchandise and other deliveries.
 Maintained and monitor files to ensure program record keeping requirement were met.
 Responsible for recording, transcribing, scanning and disseminating documents.
 Perform word processing office automation support using multiple automated programs and software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, databases, spreadsheets and graphics in support of the clerical and administrative work.
 Determined the correct course of action for the incoming correspondence such as visitors, phone calls and mail
Great work enviroment
Program Analysis (Current Employee) –  Hines, ILAugust 18, 2015
I place that you are able to work a great pace. Also you receive a lot of training through out the months. My co-workers are very nice and everyone is very pleasant to work with and the jobs that I have been given are easy tasks.
Pros
Great benefits