Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 1,232 reviews matching the search
Learn and grow here
Patient and Employee Relations Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJFebruary 5, 2016
Much to do, much to learn.
Very rewarding work.
America is Number 1 because of our Veterans.
I enjoy giving back to them for their great sacrifice.
Honor serving our nations veterans!
Senior Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Everyone that works at the Department of Veterans Affairs are positive in their support of the Veterans. That is the best part of the job!
Good place to work. Great benefits and compensation.
HR Manager, Washington Soldiers Home (Former Employee) –  Orting, WAFebruary 4, 2016
Provide professional HR guidance in corrective and disciplinary actions; interpretation and applications of policies and procedures, civil service rules and collective bargaining agreements. Respond to grievances and provide grievance resolutions. Perform recruitment and selection. Perform background checks. Respond to Worker's Compensations and unemployment claims. Supervise HR Assistant.

Co-workers were good to work with. It was a pleasure working for an agency who supports our Veterans.
Pros
Good benefits and compensation.
Cons
Turnover in Superintendent position.
Very Helpful Unit
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYFebruary 4, 2016
Contact Center for benefits for WNY VA Healthcare System consisted of 10 employees. Trained to handle all aspects of enrolling Veterans for healthcare.
Pros
Meeting Veterans
Cons
Calming angry Veterans
Room for growth, great benefits
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 3, 2016
Great working here and servicing those that service our country. Co-workers have team spirit and Managers are accommodating and approachable. I enjoy knowing that I am servicing the many Veterans that come back home from war. Not only the Veterans, but the civil people that decide to give so much of their time to volunteer and help in different departments within facility everyday.
benefits
not great for a contractor
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2016
the difference between being a contractor and an FTE at the VA is pronounced, more so than other government agencies I have worked for in the past
great place to work to help veterans
Telehealth Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Have worked there for almost 3 years and have enjoyed working with the veterans. I work as a telehealth technician and do a variety of things related to video appointments.
Great Mission
Field Examiner (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 2, 2016
Department of Veteran Affairs was one of the greatest places I have ever worked. I loved every minute of it. It was a great experience to serve those who served this country. You never have to work a day in your life if you like what you do.
Pros
compensation, benefits, work life and family life balance, good working environment
Cons
little opportunity for promotion
Improving culture and great salary/benefits
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 31, 2016
Sure, the pace of change and innovation in government can be slow. However, with hard work and creativity those with vision, true desire for change, and patience can make a lasting difference. A great number of talented individuals work here and sometimes all that is needed is a leader willing to remove bureaucratic obstacles. One would be challenged to find a better work life/balance given the hours and high salary.
This is a terrible place to work!!!
Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 28, 2016
The management is terrible & inappropriate. The Clinical nutrition manager calls employees stupid, old & shares other employees medical & personal history w/ other employees & staff members.
The management has no clinical experience & want the dietitians to use outdated practices. They expect the dietitians to complete the work of the diet clerk (i.e. Entering diet orders, supplements, & food preferences on all patients)
They don't support the staff & create an hostile work environment.
If I could've given the Miami VA zero stars I would have!
Pros
Non
Cons
Hostile work environment
First Government Job
Clerk-Typist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2016
Received and processed requests for grave markers for families of deceased veterans.

Worked with a very interesting group of employees but fun to work with. I will never forget them.

I was most excited because this was my first job in the Federal Government.

The job was not hard but long and tedious. Work was done by quota.
Pros
The ability to work and exceed my daily quota
Organized, welcoming, high quality care
General Practice Resident (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 27, 2016
Good workplace. Friendly staff. Good interdisciplinary atmosphere and respect toward each other. Clean and peaceful work environment. Convenient to go from department to department.
Love the job but management could care less about disabled veterans whom are employed with this organization as I have experienced
Veterans Claims Representative II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Love the job as to assisting veterans file their disability claims but as employees and disabled veterans ourselves we are treated very unprofessionally by management.
Very informative job, and was able to help a lot of veterans who needed a place to stay rather than on the streets
In-Transit Worker Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 26, 2016
This was a temporary position while I transitioned to a more lucrative position. I was more or less the boss of the department where I worked.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Very little pay
Do not do it
Tractor Operator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJanuary 26, 2016
Unless your a Veteran or do not mind kissing up to co-workers who are Veterans this company is not for you. The Veterans you serve are the greatest, but the Veterans you work with won't make your day.
decent pay, good benefits
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 25, 2016
As a law enforcement agency, I would rate it as a "D." The management was not police oriented, much too political. However, the pay was decent and the benefits were good.
Pros
secure job
Cons
poor management
Enjoy what I do for a living.
Chief of Police (Current Employee) –  Montrose, NYJanuary 23, 2016
Responsible for the overall supervision/organization and day-to-day operation of Police Service which consists of a uniform patrol division, investigation section, communications section as well as numerous administrative staff.

Oversee the total operation, planning and ongoing security and crime prevention programs.

As the PCI/PIV manager, ensures the appropriate security Background Investigations are initiated/conducted on all current, new hire, contactors, volunteers and contractors.

Assists HRMS with the adjudication of unfavorable OPM/background results.

Ensures all vulnerability surveys including physical security surveys are conducted as required.

Well versed in Joint Commission relating to Security/Police related requirements.

Responsible to ensure the physical access control systems, CCTV, all panic intrusion alarms remain operational to include appropriate and timely testing to document the results and effective follow-up action.

Responsible for advancing the police skills of members of service in all areas of knowledge including unarmed defense training and the use of all approved duty weapons.

Prepare and regulate policies and regulations pertaining to security and law enforcement.
Pros
The people I work with.
Cons
Every job has them.
Constantly busy and productive
Inventory Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 23, 2016
Activation of a new hospital. Conducting inventory of new equipment, entering data into system and processing. Learning and identifying new equipment. Minimal support from management. Support from co-workers. Large amount of equipment to process and tag with little time.
Pros
Flexibility.
Cons
Not enough time to complete task
Mismanaged Goverment Agency
Supervisory Voucher Examiner (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 22, 2016
Dysfunctional organization which is steeped in nepotism.
Employee morale is extremely low.
The clients (Veterans) receive poor service due to under staffing.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Senior Management
Receptionist- Assisted VA Administration (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 21, 2016
Helping those who fight for our Country. Learned so much, just by communicating with our HERO's. Co-workers were great with helping me in my training. The hardest part was when I had to send them to someone else for help. Which I think anyone who fought for our Country should be able to received help as soon as they are back on American soil. Enjoyable part was getting to help the ones that I did after all they fought for our safety.
Pros
Help
Cons
My off days