Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,200 reviews matching the search
Programs Support Administrator
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 22, 2016
I would open the day with printing the daily schedule for each provider. Check in the patient and review their insurance and take payment if need be. I would also schedule for follow up appointments. I would have a list of new consult patients I would call and schedule for future appointments. If appointment was over 30 days I would add them to a list for them to use "Veterans Choice" and find them a provider within the network that they could use /see before their appointment at the VA hospital. If they did, I would forward the medical information to that provider. I would print follow up appointment letters and sent them out to the patient.
Pros
NONE
Cons
only one 15 minute break.
VA Hospital Des Moines New Patient Coordinator
Assistant PCMM coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 22, 2016
Full time New Patient Coordinator . This includes all report of contacts, patient advocate transfers, VA out of state transfers, new patients from enrollment and NEAR lists. I tracked panel sizes and worked according to those numbers in order to keep each provider with as open access for our veterans as possible.
You can plan your future with the VA
Supervisory Social Worker/Sr. Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Nevada and TexasSeptember 21, 2016
As a social worker, I have found job security and have been able to help Veterans in need. I have also been able to work in multiple locations throughout the country.
Pros
Large number of social workers
Unorganized with flawed procedures but still a good organization
CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 19, 2016
The culture was amazing. Decent vacation/sick time accrual, awesome benefits(although I found that the insurance premiums were a little expensive if you have to cover your whole family), and my coworkers were nice and honest. However, things were very unorganized. Policies and procedures changed very often. Sometimes so fast that supervisors couldn't even really help with cases. Overall a good experience but you MUST be ok with change.
Pros
Organization culture, benefits, easy to change positions once you complete probation
Cons
Assigned break times, FREQUENT tech issues making it hard to complete assignments timely, unorganized
Very stressful
LPN (Current Employee) –  PHX, AZSeptember 17, 2016
It definitely slides downhill. Everyone has to much on there plate but if you're an LPN or below you are at the end of the slide. No breaks and 10 minute lunches are the norm....yet the RNS and providers don't know and they don't care because it's not they're problem. RNs have it''s not my job disease and will let a Vet wait for hours because it's beneath them to checkin a walk-in. Then they lie to you about not knowing. Frustrating place to work. The Vets are OK. Some of the providers act like it's their own private practice and are very disrespectful toward non provider staff. I've never been treated with such condenscending arrogance, and I've been an LPN for over 15 yrs..
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
To many chiefs syndrome
Poor on every level...
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 16, 2016
This is the only company that you can have people lie to you and get away with it!!! At the Winston-Salem VA I sent in claims, yet I was still told they did not have it. I'm glad I served, but the way we treat our veterans is wrong.
Pros
Nice people...
Cons
Lie to get you out of their face!
VA Palo Alto
Interior Designer/ FAC COR Level I / FAC PPM (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 15, 2016
This is a wonderful place to work at. The VA encourages training and education to advance in your career. There's a daycare located on site, which is convenient for parents that are employed at the VAPAHCS.
Pros
Farmers Market on Wensdays
Cons
Construction - makes hard to find parking
Job Experience
Finance Contact Representative (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 14, 2016
It's a decent place to work. I learned a lot about people and had to deal with retired veterans daily. The Job can be demanding especially dealing with people's finance.
Very gratifying
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  950 Campbell Ave West Haven, Ct.September 13, 2016
Enjoyed working there. Friendly patients, good location. On the job training available. Job security. Friendly atmosphere, Nice cafeteria. All veterans in which I love to give back to those who served.
Pros
Chance to higher your education
Cons
You need to strive for what you want.
Great enviornment and patient population is enjoyable
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CASeptember 12, 2016
I love being able to serve veterans that served our country. The quality that the VA provides veterans is excellent. There are many services that they provide to help our vets get the care they need.
Low pay and limited advancement opportunities for non-clinical roles
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 12, 2016
I work in a low-level administrative position. With a bachelor's degree in Business Admin, and nearing completion of graduate school, I am highly under-employed. Despite relevant experience and education, the VA is focused on hiring individuals based on how long they have been with the VA, not what new, innovative ideas an individual brings to the table. Bottom line; If you've worked here long enough, you'll move up gradually, but if you're just starting your career and looking to grow, this is not the place for you.
The culture is toxic, and phrases such as "that's not my job" are commonly heard. As a veteran, I hoped to impart change on the VA in order to better serve my fellow vets, but my efforts continuously fall on deaf ears.
Pros
Benefits, Vacation
Cons
Culture, reactive not proactive management
VA Police
Lead Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 11, 2016
The VA is an excellent organization in general. The objective is to provide Veterans with the upmost care and consideration in all matters. In a Law Enforcement capacity there are times where enforcement and fairness can be blurred, but overall my department has done a great job of being as fair and equitable as possible.
There are some organizational problems, and sometimes people whom lack certain leadership skills are in positions of authority, but this may be the case with other government agencies as well. Sometime departments don't necessarily work well with other, but that's also a common aspect within government.
Overall this is an excellent place to work with great potential and benefits. I would recommend.
Pros
Fairness in treatment and loyalty to Veterans
Cons
Poor middle managment
Productive and government benefits is great.
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2016
Awesome job, especially if you like working with computers and helping others with problems that seem pretty simple to you. Also if you don't know how to troubleshoot a situation there are plenty of coworkers to show you. Great job
Pros
Benefits, pay, vacation time and reasonable hours in Washingtion DC
Cons
Getting into the government is very difficult
very good company
Administration Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 8, 2016
Managers are well organized. The team members always worked as at team and step up as needed. The manager always made sure the workers were doing their jobs and that the customers or clients need were in place. This job was easy going and very enjoyable to work with good people.
Pros
good team work
Cons
no raises
Assist veterans with their benefits
Veteran Service Representative (VSR) (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 7, 2016
It was a pleasure to work for the Department of Veteran Affairs. This is the starting point for any veteran to apply for his VA benefits.
Pros
Cons
Not to veteran friendly
Very good
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 6, 2016
It is a great place for a student to work. You are actually able to work and still get some time in the office to study. The management is very understanding and supportive of the students.
Cons
Not a lot of money, but every little bit helps
Productive and caring place to work
Caregiver Support (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 6, 2016
Wonderful place to work. The co-workers are friendly and is there for you if help is needed. I learned so much for working for the VA. The management team always go above and beyond to help the veterans.
productive and great work enviroment and friendly staff
File Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CASeptember 6, 2016
The typical work day consisted of organizing files, scanning and uploading them to the current server. I learned that no matter what your duty was you always had to finish what you started. My co-workers were amazing, friendly and very supportive. The hardest part of my job was locating the exact dates of a term. I really enjoyed this job and serving as a person who contributed.
Advancement
Human Resources Assistant (Position Management) (Current Employee) –  Bay Pines, FLSeptember 5, 2016
Job advancement could be better but in order to advance, you would have to transfer to a different facility/location in order to get a promotion.
Pros
Federal job
Small job with many possibilities
Student Work Study (Current Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PASeptember 2, 2016
A typical day at work consists of handling student issues with their educational benefits. I learned a lot about each branch and what they have to offer. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people who do not want to be helped. Having my co-workers made the job so much better.
Pros
tax free
Cons
minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location