Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs United States Employee Reviews

Great Agency
EEO Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 23, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
This is one of the best Agencys I have ever worked for. I enjoyed my coworkers and working with the team members. I would definitely work for this Agency Again.
I am a skilled internist.
Medical Officer (Current Employee), Houston TexasApril 21, 2015
I am able to handle multiple problems at once and have a wide range of clinical skills. I go in early to work to review my labs and reports from the previous days. I stay organized and focused during the entire day.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 20, 2015
I made some great friends while volunteering at the VA Hospital. It's a great experience and a great way to help veterans.
nice secure job
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee), Waco, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: job stability, and training
Cons: sometime work environment such as Decon can be uncomfortable
Start all equipment and run test in morning on everything. Support Clinic and OR Techs in processing trays, scopes and equipment.
Learned about complete process of SPS.
Management has had lot of turnover, and Ive done Sterile Processing at four different facilities. Ive had very good Manangement.
Co-workers in general are hard workers. I have the ability to get along and respect my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of job is the sress level to complete tasks correctly and in a timely manner.
The most enyable part of my time in Sterile Processing is working with scopes, and the people Ive met and grown to respect.
Great Career Advancement
Cardiology /Medical Machine Technician (Former Employee), Decatur, GAApril 19, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits Good Vterans Jokes, wonderful people
Cons: It got really! busy when Vets lost jobs and benefits
I have 20+ years the VA Administration. I really felt like I made a difference in every aspect of all the positons I held during those years. I stated in the Medical clinic, dabbled in medical records ransferred to administions then EKG, Nuclear Medicine and lastly to the Cardiac Echo lab and my final position was Lead Technician/Office Manager. I was exciting and some day it was hard and crzy. I felt like I was in a MASH unit. I loved it but over a period of time it became a little taxing. I was want to not stress so much anymore. I miss the people and still keep in touch with many of them today. It was a positive experence that be with me lwys.
Really great atmosphere and you can go at your own pace with work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2015
I love working here, I feel like I learn a lot every day, and I'm able to get help from many co-workers. The hardest part about this job is being able to consistently be doing research work, however the amount of knowledge I gain in research from doing it, is incredible. I've learned so many new things, starting from technology, mental disorders/illnesses, and the ability to communicate with vets/patients/subjects.
Busy group homes that are full of interesting experiences.
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Experience with different situations
Cons: Long hours and short on help
I had anywhere from 4-5 hours of personal care, following IEP for each individual, and administering medication. The group home that I worked in on a daily basis had four of the most amazing residents. They had been through so much and accomplished things that the doctors thought they wouldn't. The staff that was on call or on duty at the time were trustworthy and honest. In the time that I worked at this company, I had the pleasure of working with Department of Human Services and several physical and Occupational Therapists.
Terrible Place to work!
Prosthetics Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), Philadelphia, Pa.April 15, 2015
Pros: A good company to try to start off with.
Cons: Management Very petty and discrimative against veterans, they will set you up for Failure.
Management and their flunkies will set you up for failure. They will talk behind your back. Management will Call their family members who also work with in the VA Hospital down stairs to talk about you. None of the management, nor their family members are veterans. They discriminate against veterans. They make fun of veterans. They do not want veterans working there. HR are the ones who are trying to get veterans in to work there. They will give you all the work they do not want to do. Such as signing in boxes: searching through the computer to see who the boxes belong to(who made the purchase), scanning in their old invoices, constantly covering the reception desk every time the receptionist calls off(which is a lot), and she comes to work everyday late, and take 40min breaks. They will pile purchase orders on you, the ones they do not want to do, such as(cpap,glasses,shoes, surgical implants). These are the purchases that get high call volume from veterans. They can work over time to catch up on their work, but not the new employees. You have to do so much other work, to where you can't get your purchasing work done. You don't have a chance to get your work done. The purchases can not exceed past 5days. Management is very petty. They will call for a phone interview. They will start you off as GS-5.5 $38000
Medical Support
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 15, 2015
VA’s five core values underscore the obligations inherent in VA’s mission: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence. The core values define “who we are,” our culture, and how we care for Veterans and eligible beneficiaries. Our values are more than just words – they affect outcomes in our daily interactions with Veterans and eligible beneficiaries and with each other. Taking the first letter of each word—Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence—creates a powerful acronym, “I CARE,” that reminds each VA employee of the importance of their role in this Department. These core values come together as five promises we make as individuals and as an organization to those we serve.
Practicum
OSDBU (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 15, 2015
I wasn't employed by the DVA, it was part of my MBA program. I learned a lot and had the opportunity to work with some very talented people.
Productive and exceptional work environment
PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Resident (Current Employee), Salisbury, NCApril 14, 2015
I enjoy making a positive impact on veterans' lives on a daily basis. I am able to demonstrate my commitment to providing the best care possible.
Very nice work atmosphere
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
The job was wonderful, especially the job security. Paid vacations and holidays. Part-time is the only thing I didn't like. Wish I could have had more hours
current employee
Claims Assistant (OA) Full-time (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 13, 2015
Pros: This is a place where you don't get fired, you have to fire yourself..
Cons: lots of work to be done. Everything is backlogged.
The hours are excellent. Very flexible career. I would definitely recommend anyone to work for the VA. It is a good way to get your foot into the door to work for the government.
reveiw
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas , TXApril 13, 2015
As a combat medic I have learned how to start IV's ,know how to insert foleys, know how to do dosage calculations and give medications. I also know how do splints, medical assessments and trauma assessments.Administer emergency medical treatment to battlefield casualties. Assist with outpatient and inpatient care and treatment. Interview patients and recording their medical histories. Take patients' temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Prepare blood samples for laboratory analysis. Keep health records and clinical files up-to-date. Give shots and medicines to patients. Prepare patients, operating rooms, equipment and supplies for surgery.Can perform certain procedures. Plus I am well equipped to deal with various personalities do to my experience in ER and Neuro ICU, and in corrections.
Great Place to Work
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Department of Veterans AffairsApril 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits and People are great.
Cons: None
A typical day is you will get your work, lunch, and take a break.Great place to work. I learned a lot. The co-workers are very nice. You will enjoy working here.
I loved working with veterans
Medical Records Technician (MRT) (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 8, 2015
Pros: military related
Cons: Busy environment
A typical day at the VA pertains to servicing disabled veterans with disability claim by providing them with a copy of their health care information.
Production of claims and quality has to be within standards. Government regulations are always changing and you have to be flexible.
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Leave, RDOs
Cons: Production Standards, Quality Standards
A typical day at work is to get through as many claims as possible to keep within the production standards. You also have to make sure these claims are processed completely and accurately. If a veteran wants to add a dependent on their award you have to calculate the increase and then write the letter to the veteran to let them know what changes were made and what their new payment will be.

Management is there to assist if you need extra help on a difficult case. My co-workers are also trying to get their points so they are busy with their own cases. The most difficult part is staying self-motivated for the entire day and completing the number of cases that I am required to do.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to help veterans everyday.
Usual Government Position
Senior Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Decatur, GAApril 6, 2015
Productive, but very strict standards, ability to promote after a least three years of consistent production.

Began as a Work Study here, and advanced quickly to permanent employee, and since have promoted three times over the course of five years.
Caregiver (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 3, 2015
I love this place. It is a great place to work. I feel like I have been given the opportunity to help someone change his or her life. I love helping others.
interesting daily adventures
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCApril 3, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers and veterans
Cons: health benefits and pay
Working on the psych unit is a very refreshing feeling. Helping veterans through the day is my way of showing my appreciation for all that they have done for us.

1 2 3 4 5

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$38,403 per year
Attendant Counselor
$2,596 per month

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel