Department of Veterans Affairs
1,025 reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJune 23, 2015
answer phones, make appointments, file records. Administrative Work. Awesome staff, productive day. Update patient files, contact information, medical history, appointment reminders.
Productive and a wonderful experience.
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Westwood, CAJune 22, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short staffed
A typical day for me at the VA is checking patients in and out, turning in their paperwork to the proper clinic, scheduling patients appointments. We really don not deal with management that much. I get along with my co-workers, when we have down time we will sing a little or talk with a couple of our patients, which is the best part of my day, seeing them smile. The worst part or the hardest part of my job is the commute.
productive work place
REGISTERED NURSE/ NURSE MANAGER (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 22, 2015
Great work environment, there is job security, employees voices are heard. Co- workers worked as a team. The hardest part was the long distance driving to DC. The enjoyable part of the job was feeling a part of the team.
Department of Veteran Affairs
Employment Specialist & Computer Instructor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 21, 2015
Pros: Access to Veterans
Cons: Government
Worked in the Social Work department as a clinician finding employment for Veterans. Crreated and taught a Computer Literacy Program and a Hospitality Wait Service Program.
Liked working there for a while
contracted employee (Former Employee), Olympia, WAJune 20, 2015
Pros: There are some great people there
Cons: There are some people that aren't so great as well.
The WDVA was a great place for a while, but as 'old timers' left, the work environment began to suffer. Unfortunately, in some cases, the 'good ole boy' network is still going great.
Positive strategic work place.
Operating Room Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 17, 2015
Pros: family time away from family, gifts, knowledge, parties, lunch.
Cons: not many
A typical day at work was fast paced, laid back, and accomplished. Every part of this job is critical! From the surgeons to the janitor. Everyone mattered. Everything was based upon a team. And there was the domino effect to this. Each needed each other in someway. If one failed we all did. Like a family! I loved working here! The hardest part of the job was watching the patients come in with such ailments. The best part was watching the surgeons, nurses, anesthetists, anesthesiologists, surgical techs, P.A., and myself work together as a team and the patient leaving with a smile and better health!! Thanks for that!
Not a good place to work
RN Care Manager (Current Employee), VA West Los AngelesJune 15, 2015
Pros: Good pay and benefit
Cons: Poor working conditions
The management here is inept and incompetent. The culture perpetuates this environment. Not much will change in this highly bureaucratic hierarchy.
Provide help to Veterans
Claims Assistant (Current Employee), Decatur, GAJune 15, 2015
A place where you can advance employment. I've worked for VA for 10 years. I help veterans establish their benefits.
I've have not violated the guidelines , but have helped where ever needed.
Calm Environment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Mare Island/ Vallejo, CAJune 15, 2015
Pros: calm, average patient work load, good clinic experience
Cons: no benefits, not stable
This job was a very calm lab. Youd rarely get busy and i really enjoyed talking to the veterans and coworkers. I learned a lot here, with the packing of the specimens and the processing like aliquoting. There wasnt anything hard about the job at all. I was there as a temp because Boston Reed sent me there to teach their interns and also i was allowed from the VA to draw blood.
Nothing extraordinary
Medical Reimbursement Program Analyst (Former Employee), Middleton, WIJune 14, 2015
The Department of Veterans Affairs is an alright place...Helping veterans on a daily basis is wonderful. The more assistance I can provide the better.
Work culture changed
Contracted employee (Former Employee), Olympia, WAJune 13, 2015
Pros: Multi-story, active exercise community, proximity to downtown, proximity to freeway
Cons: Lack of communcation with their own employees
I LOVED my job, my work, and my counterparts for a long time there. When the 'old guard' started to retire, things began to change. Some for the better, some not so much.

I believe that they are doing what they can to help the vets, but sometimes, the customer relations within their own organization, kinda suck.

Having said that, I recognize that all organizations go through 'down times' and certainly don't hold it against it.
Enjoy my work and appreciate what employees do for the veterans and appreciate the service of our veterans to this country.
Family Nurse Practitioner C&P Clinic (Current Employee), Augusta, GAJune 12, 2015
Pros: Safe environment and supervisor who cares
Love my job at the VA caring for veterans who served our country.
Our team in Compensation and Pension truly work as a team.

Also work in Employee Health and enjoy giving employees quality care with a smile. I have learned a lot about handling workman's comp cases, infectious disease, handling employee emergencies, physical and mental and promoting wellness.
Awesome Co-Workers!
Phlebotomist/ Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAJune 11, 2015
All around great place to work. Fair wage & great work schedule! Wonderful patients! Loved coming to work everyday. It was centrally located, so easy commute for me.
Volunteer Patient Advocate (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 10, 2015
Working for the Department of Veteran Affairs is very rewarding. I get a sense of giving back to my fellow veterans. Great co workers, and enjoyed working with patients, the hardest part is trying to help patients that don't really want help.
Network Support Specialist (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 9, 2015
Pros: Great place to work, good teamwork
Cons: none
Working at the federal level always has it rewards and issues that are unique to itself. Passwords was one of the main things I had to reset nearly every day. Software installs and upgrades, hardware replacement and installs, printer report tracking.
Interesting and educational environment
Data Entering (Former Employee), Augusta, GAJune 8, 2015
This volunteer helped to further my appreciation for veterans and their contribution to our great country. During my time volunteering, i spent most of my time doing data entering for the veterans benefits.
Not all VA's the same
Inventory Manager-Supply/Purchasing Technician (Former Employee), Tampa, FL and Portland, ORJune 8, 2015
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: Antiquated systems and management
I enjoyed some aspects about the VA, but mostly the work life balance was the best. Working only scheduled hours and no weekends worked best for me because I am a reservist in the military.
Management was very old-meaning that they had been in their positions for over 20 years and it didn't leave a lot of room for advancements.

There is a lot of opportunity for training if your manager allows it. Loved my coworkers; the pay never equaled to the experience/education of an employee. At least not for me being a college grad with over 10 years of experience and paid $45K a year. But the government does that.
Office job
Veteran Student Assistant (Former Employee), Daytona Beach, FLJune 8, 2015
Pros: Laid back work environment.
Cons: Minimum wage, little to no advancement.
I worked with fellow veterans, which was great. I helped students properly use their GI bill benefits. The job was simple and straightforward. I could almost make my own hours; they were very flexible with my school schedule.
Productive yet Interesting at the DC VA Medical Center
Health Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 8, 2015
My days at the DC VA Medical center are not always the same. Some days are good, some hectic and most VERY interesting. Working in the Primary health clinics, well you don't really get to much because you are not with the patient very long. But in the Emergency department, well lets just say that's when things get REAL. I say that because different types of veterans come in and out of the ER for different types of reasons. What I have learned is that although they (the veterans) may seem to be very rude and nasty at times, all they want is attention and to know that people do still care. I CARE. Management is pretty good I really haven't had any problem or concerns. My co-workers are VERY helpful. They help out with patients, explain and show you how to do things the right way. We are always there for one another. The hardest part of the job is balancing the work load when we are short staffed, that's when things may get a little hectic. The most enjoyable part of my job, is taking care of those who have fought for us and letting them know that no matter what I DO CARE.
Working for the VA was a rewarding experience. They provided all the training needed to do a good job. Sometimes I regret having retired.
Health Systems Specialist GS 12 (Former Employee), Martinez, CAJune 6, 2015
Provided excellent learning opportunities to inhance and improve on one's skills. I am proud to ever say that I worked for the VA.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$37,223 per year
Licensed Practical Nurse
$40,879 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel