Department of Veterans Affairs

1.1K reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Busy, serious work, with great patient care outcomes
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Long Beach, Veterans AffairsAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Great vacation, opportunities to learn, and excellent pay
Cons: Hard and complicated work.
The nurse practitioner works in collaboration with physicians, and nurses, providing a high level of quality care to veterans, many who have been injured while fighting for our country. The job is very rewarding.
amazing atmosphere
Float Pool RN (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 15, 2015
I love working for the VA. There is a very friendly atmosphere and the camaraderie reminds me of when I was in the military.
The Birmingham VA is the absolute worst place to work. I'd turn back if I were you
ICU educator (Current Employee), Birmingham, AlabamaAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Vacation time
Cons: Everything else
If you are considering a position as an educator for the Birmingham VA, think again. You will meet challenge after challenge as the employees are not health accountable for anything that they do, they find ways around what they are supposed to do causing great harm to the patient that they serve. The manager of education department has no backbone and will leave you hanging out to dry. The Chiefs are inappropriate, Messy, have personal friendships going on and they allow this to get in the way of doing the right thing. The educators I expected to act as nurse managers, educators, clinical nursing leaders, and be a personal Stefan cool but only getting paid for one of these jobs. If anything happens on the unit, the majority of the time it will be the educators fault. You will be required to work on multiple tasks at the same time that come from different people and everyone's task is due immediately and has the highest importance. The medical director of MICU is a liar and is messy. He is just like a child, if he does not get his way especially with the educator, he will make it hard for you by lying to your manager on you and she will go directly with what ever it is that he says. Anyone considering a position at the Birmingham VA, especially an educator I advise to steer clear because it is very stressful and you were treated very unfairly. They go behind your back all the time and they waste time meeting and placing blame instead of solving problems. If they do not like you, you will not go far at all and there is no moving up if you are not like. They have certain – more... people that they will follow the rules for and help and others they do not. If you get sick and have trouble performing your job, the education department will see to it that you do not get the resources that you need in order to return to work and just leave you out hanging, I went through this personally because I became ill and needed help in doing my job but I was refused the opportunity to get assistive technology to help me and I had to go home without pay. I am steal the ICU educator but they have posted my job and it is completely unfair. – less
Great people work here
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Boston, MA (Brockton Campus)August 14, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Processes
Excellent, top notch professionals work here. Cumbersome processes across the board make it difficult to produce great work.
productive
Secretary (Former Employee), Lafayette, LAAugust 14, 2015
Dept of Veteran Affairs is a large organization. Great opportunities within the organization. They foster positive vibes and promote teamwork.
Ability to work indepentedly
Health Technican (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Metro Card Allotment, liberal vacation time
Cons: limited advancement opportunities
Prepare needed shift paperwork, Perform hourly hours ensuring patient safety. Obtain/chart Vital signs informing RN immediately of abnormalities. Perform venipunctures and ECG's. Wound care and dressings. Assitl with ADL's/feeding
a very nice place to work
Purchase card Cordinator (Current Employee), Tampa, FlAugust 13, 2015
Pros: department lunching
Cons: brainstroming
my workdays here a very meaningful and educational

I've learned to maintain the Card Holders Accountable for their actions if not up to the required standards as a Card Holder.

management is management keeping the staff busy

co-workers are ok I'm just here to do my job, I work well them all

to me the most enjoyable part of my job is the teachings and the learning from my peers and meeting new people
Nice Place
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Greenville, NCAugust 12, 2015
It's great working with Veterans. It's a new building. There are more programs that are currently opening for veterans. The staff are very friendly and very professional.
productive workplace
RN, Nurse Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 12, 2015
interact with veterans and family members face to face, via the secure messaging or telephone...the hardest part of my job is not being able to help the veterans due to multi-system slow downs...the most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the veterans
Exciting workplace
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Excellent benefits, meaningful organizational mission, great work environment
Cons: none
I work in the VA's Veteran's Health Administration Department at the Manhattan Vet Center, which specializes in readjustment counseling services for combat veterans, spouses and siblings of deceased combat veterans, and veterans who have suffered from harassment while on active duty. Everyday is a rewarding, and meaningful experience to work with those who have sacrificed so much, such as myself, as I am also a veteran of the United States Marine Corps.
Poor Communication
Undisclosed (Current Employee), New York, New JerseyAugust 10, 2015
From top management all the way down communication is lacking. If there is any, more than likely it is negative or just gossip. There are definitely some great people here but unfortunately due to the majority not caring about what they do how they do it and who they step on it changes the great people for the worse. I would not recommend working for the VA, you can argue that it will be stable but you can bet you will be mentally unstable and miserable.
Interesting and challenging environment.
Lead Animal Caretaker (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Relaxed work environment.
Cons: Ceding to weak choices when proper choices are within sight.
In this (biomedical research) setting, there are not "typical" days, Each day presents a different, or continuation of situations requiring resolutions. The most enjoyable aspect of my job I attribute to the inner sanctification of knowing that at the end of the day, my efforts have been rewarded with the desired results. Conversely, there is minimal satisfaction when, at the end of the workday, goal expectation are not realized. Bringing together a group of people to work as one unit can indeed be difficult, always challenging.and the greatest reward of all.
Intern (Former Employee), Lakewood, NJAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Staff was good to work with
Cons: Pro-Bono work
This Internship opportunity provided me a chance to complete my masters in clinical mental health counseling. There was a management change, and that complicated the placement, but overall a good experience. The position itself allowed me to become more proficient as a counselor/case manager. Through this experience, I led groups and co-facilitated groups.
Good secure employment
Payroll Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, sick leave and vacation time, health/dental/vision insurance, Thrift Savings Plan, Retirement Plan
Cons: Difficult managers
There was a lot of busy work, not enough to occupy a person all day. However, I learned all my skills in government payroll through working here. The management varies, I had 3 separate managers and 4 different supervisors during the time that I worked at this location. Some were very good and others not so much. Most of my co-workers were terrific people to work with and were very hard working. The hardest part of the job was the tendency of managers and supervisors to micro manage. Assisting employees with payroll problems. Finding and correcting system errors, learning the different computer systems and programs used by the VA.
great work environment
Office / Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), San diegoAugust 5, 2015
Pros: Good people
Cons: can't complain
Fun and rewarding place to work. Nice people, nice office, and good perks. All around it's a very good job. Work day is nice. Advancement is nice. Management is fair.
Good workplace
Housekeeping Aide WG01 (Former Employee), La Jolla, CaliforniaAugust 4, 2015
Great management, good teamwork. It was a good workplace, good environment. There was plenty of opportunity to move up within the hospital and management of each department was always supportive.
work environment was professional and people were friendly and courteous
Support Clerk (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYAugust 4, 2015
Pros: worked with limited supervision
Cons: expensive cafeteria in building
I worked on my own while searching through veterans records and then made photocopies of their information and filed records as necessary
Needs reorganization
LPN staff nurse (Former Employee), 1310 8th Ave. South Nashville, TN 37129August 4, 2015
A typical day started with evaluation of the pts. Medication administration and management. Documentation thru data entry. IV maintenance, and phlebotomy if required. Assisted with meals. Assisted the tech assigned to that pt. Physically demanding. Management of diabetics. Code management and assistance when needed. The hardest part of the job was physical. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I provided the best care possible for my pts. Coworkers were always available to lend a helping hand.
Good advancement opportunity, benefit and compensation.
Equal Employment Specialist/Counselor/Investigator (Former Employee), Bedford, MAAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Good opportunity to advance, good benefits and compensation
Cons: very structured environment
Provided education to other staff, investigated employment complaints, conducted interviews, and wrote reports. Opportunity to work with management to present educational programs and events. Meeting people and empowering others was best part of career.
Government
Prosthetic Representative (Current Employee), Saint Cloud, MNAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Good people and rewarding work
Cons: Leadership makes work impossible. Instead of red tape it's more like red poly sheeting.
Great people, hard work, and red tape. It is a very rewarding job but the software is from the 80's and the work is from the 2015's. It's extremely difficult at times to navigate the politics and the lack of a functional system.
Industry