Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Love it here
RN Post-Discharge Case Manager Department (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I love working here. Definitely love being able to serve those who served.
My job is rewarding, I enjoy assisting the veterans obtain benefits.
Veterans Service Representative, (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: we get to help people receive benefits due to them.
Cons: not enough breaks
Obtaining and retrieving needed information or documents to assist the veteran and his dependents in order to be granted benefits.

The current laws and regulations from the updated last fast letters.

Sometimes its very difficult to understand some of there changes and requirements of the employees. Constantly making changes and moving employees from team to team.

Co-workers are great!! always ready to assist.

Not being able to obtain the needed information or documents in a timely manner. Due to a delay from another agency or facility.

When all the information or document are obtained and the veteran or his dependents are granted an award for benefits.
Work Experience
Nurse Technician (Former Employee), Lancaster, TXJanuary 5, 2015
Provide specialty services for children with special healthcare needs. Preparing and administering medications and feedings via g- tube and g- button. Charted on patients and taking vital signs, performed Activities for Daily Living. Transferred doctor orders to the medication administration record and provided comprehensively issues addressing the medical, therapeutic and psychosocial needs of the pediatric patient. Provided individual, professional, medical, nutritional and developmental care based on the child needs.
I can relate to the Veteran family and caregiver because I am a military spouse. I know what they are going thru. It's a plus when someone understand.
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 4, 2015
I learned so much from our Veterans and the program itself. I like the people I work because we are team player and we have a system that we all agreed to follow, it makes a job a bit easier. Hardest part is that Veteran doesn't get enough support from their family and that family are confuse or don't understand the system how it work. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I'm able to help them, talking to them and most of all is to receive a smile from them.
Veteran are wonderful to work with, clinical co-workers are competent and pleasant
4th Year Extern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2015
Pros:
- Structured work environment
- Compensation is competitive
- Opportunities for advancement
- Up to date technology
- Veterans are wonderful people to work with

Cons:
- Facilities are not kept well
- Understaffed
Valuable mission
Super Senior Veterans Representative (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 2, 2015
Valuable mission providing benefits to veterans. Most enjoyable part of the job is reviewing history through the eyes of US soldiers and their families.
VA
GRADUATE NURSE (Former Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 30, 2014
Best place I've ever worked. Perfect benefits and schedule flexibility as well as a very rewarding environment.
Federal employment
PC-MHI RN (Current Employee), Panama City, FLDecember 30, 2014
Please see USA Jobs for job reviews. VA employees veterans and provides many excellent benefits.
The VA is an enjoyable place to work.
Travel Clerk (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 28, 2014
The VA is an enjoyable place to work. The compensation and benefits are excellent even though I am the wife of a retired AF NCO and didn't use most of them. They like all other Federal Branches provides excellent job security and the advancement opportunities are better than most civilian employers can offer. However, the Management and job culture are in need of over haul and improvement.
rewarding
RN (Former Employee), ksDecember 27, 2014
Every job has its bad apples but overall the VA is an excellent place to work. It's awesome to be a part of our nation's legacy. The VA had a culture all its own and to be a part of it is truly found no where else in the world. Thank you VA and veterans!
Working with people
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 27, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: short break time
Interacting with the patients and clients is one of the greatest gifts that one can have.
Horrible place to work
Social Worker & Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee), montrose, new yorkDecember 25, 2014
Pros: salary
Cons: everything else: rigid, rude staff, little clinical work being done, corrupt
Negative people, toxic work environment, most of the staff and clinicians do not care about the patients, staff competing for upgrades in salary and position. I was a disgusting work environment. I stayed way too long and only stayed because I was accumulating hours to get my LCSW. I would NOT recommend this place if you what to make a difference in the world, if you care about patients and if you like working with healthy people.
Long Hours Low Pay
Medical Support Assistant, Inside Sales (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 23, 2014
Pros: great benefits.
Cons: long travel time. 12 hour days.
Little supervision. Expectations off the performance review.
Excellent place of employment
Program Manager (Current Employee), Batavia, NYDecember 22, 2014
A very satisfying career providing assistance to those who have served us.
Casual yet productive workplace
Administrative Support, Work Study Program (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 22, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
A typical day included data entry, speaking with patients, and scheduling travel arrangements. I learned a great amount about how an office runs, and what keeps it running efficiently.
Productive workplace
Legal Intern (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 22, 2014
VA Medical Center was a great place to work and I would highly recommend employment there.
Loved taking care of pediatric patients
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Peoria, ILDecember 21, 2014
Pros: loved taking care of smiling pediatric patients
Cons: worked 3rd shift
A typical day at my job was coming in to see a little child who has got tubes all over her and is standing up smiling and waiting for you to get their to rock her to sleep. Did trach changes, G-tube placements and flushing, and monitored ventilators.
Very fast-paced heathcare setting
Social Work Graduate Intern (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 18, 2014
Pros: helping veterans
Cons: red tape
I conducted bio-psychosocial assessments in triage with Veterans who presented various issues. I also was responsible for case managing Veterans who presented more complicated situations for which I served as an advocator, facilitator and educator. I learned how to work on a multidisciplinary team of medical professionals to ensure that the Veterans were being holistically treated as to increase their qualities of life and meet their diverse needs.

The hardest part of my job was not having enough time in the day to help as many Veterans as possible. Also, there are several obstacles to overcome when working in a government agency like the VA. Having to find ways to cut through the red tape proved to be a daunting task when advocating for Veterans' needs.

The most enjoyable part of my job at the VA was being able to help our heroes. Veterans of all ages and war eras deserve the best treatment available to them, as they served us by risking their lives to fight for our freedom and that is what made my efforts worthwhile.
Such a good vibe
Volunteer-Pharmacy (Current Employee), El Paso, TXDecember 18, 2014
The people at the VA are so nice I have been there since 2012 as a volunteer and I love what I do I feel like I'm giving back and the best part is my husband is Active duty in the army and this is my way of paying it forward.
Horrible Management
CHAMPVA Review & Resolution Rep. (Former Employee), Denver, CODecember 17, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: unprofessional shady management
Marine Corps Vet. - I quit my full time job at an army hospital to go work for the VA because the commute was only 19 mins in comparison to 2 hrs, the job was offered through their student program, so I knew I was an intern however what they didn't mention was I lost all my government benefits, and then once I completed my requirements with management stating I had the highest numbers but when time came for me to get hired they finally decided to let me know the position I would fall in was "under review" basically the Pay grade was under review and it was true they couldn't hire anyone. So what did this internship mean exactly? So I moved, left my full time government job with benefits for a job that can't hire me and they don't know how long the review would take. One gentlemen was under the same program for four years and they couldn't hire him, he had an MBA. So I told management this was unacceptable and lets just say management was very unprofessional. When a boss says, :I made it here with a high School education making almost 70 grad, and I never promised you a job. True but I made all requirements, had the highest scores, "The highest we have seen in three years" and you gave every student the impression we will be hired. I love the people I worked with, I have nothing bad to say about my co-workers. But this was a shady way of gaining workers full time with no benefits.... please be cautious. I took this to the board of directors and I went a bit extreme but I recently heard from one of the students they are now letting them know they probably will not be hired. If my one experience keeps from anyone going through the same situation I did... then that is awesome but the unprofessional management killed my entire experience. Lucky I met amazing people and any relevant experience is great, I work for another company now and I can't tell you how much more I appreciate them due to this experience.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos