Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Thankless
Pathways Contracting Trainee (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 24, 2014
Irritated end users created a very negative work environment.
N/A
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 24, 2014
N/A at this time, a very interesting work place, review may be publicly displayed.
Productive Work Environment
Communications Officer (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 23, 2014
Productive work environment with lots of opportunities for growth
Helping Veterans,Having a good and steady workload to keep busy.
Program Support Assistant(Retired) (Former Employee), Bay Pines, FLMarch 23, 2014
Pros: having the chance to learn and work in many jobs, having a veteran or spouse telling you thank you after helping them, going home knowing i did the best job to help the veteran.
Cons: cpac, difficult veteran, management, favoritism
Helping Veterans with any 3rd Party Billing problems(Example: Making sure the Veteran was given the proper credit by his Carrier for visits or RX. Any Refunds the Veteran may have been entitled to, and other office duties. Having the chance to work for and learn from one of the best Supervisors in the VA. Worked with a good group of Co-Workers.
Great organization
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Greenville, SCMarch 22, 2014
Pros: great organization to progress with
Cons: no problems
One of the best companies I have ever worked for after the United States Army.
NATIONAL ACQUISTION CENTER
General Clerk III (Current Employee), Hines, ILMarch 20, 2014
Pros: contracting experience
Cons: short breaks
Prepare purchase orders and send copies to suppliers and to departments originating requests.
 Determine if inventory quantities are sufficient for needs, ordering more materials when necessary.
 Respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status, changes, or cancellations.
 Review requisition orders in order to verify accuracy.
 Prepare, – more... maintain, and review purchasing files, reports and price lists.
 Track the status of requisitions, contracts, and orders.
 Assisting the Contracting Officer with administration support and providing clerical assistance with procurement
activities; assembling and preparing forms, clauses, or other paperwork that make up a contract file.
 Assembling all paperwork related to contracts and closing the file.
 Prepare and verifying various letters, modifications, amendments and coordinating inspections in the procurement
history of the contract.
 Maintain spreadsheets and uploading data into contract files.
 Trained other clerks in procurement work.
 Helped the contracting officers with special projects, which milestones have met the deadline. – less
supporting Veterans
PROGRAM SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 20, 2014
Pros: helping veterans
Cons: supervisors
worked on Veterans account performing audits.
management micro-managed
co-workers were mostly veterans
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping veterans
I was able to learn a lot about Mobile Applications
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee), I work in a virtual environment from my homeMarch 19, 2014
The VA is pursuing a cross-platform mobile solution that will allow us to develop one version of the app and have it run on as many devices as possible, or at least on all the mainstream devices.
Great Benefits, Miserable Culture
Government Analyst / Program Support (Current Employee), Minneapolis VA SystemMarch 19, 2014
Pros: benefits, work/life balance
Cons: pessimistic/stagnant culture
The VA has excellent benefits and work schedules available. There is advancement possible, but you can end up in a dead end path, often getting stuck, as it were, as the governement has a convoluted advancement structure. Definitely have a plan for your career here.

The culture is extremely negative and if you are not a part of the clinical staff you – more... are likely to be treated with indignity and disregard. I'm sure this isn't true anywhere, but it has been the case in my experience with the MPLS VA. – less
excellent place to work
Housekeeping Aid (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAMarch 18, 2014
Pros: staff, veterans, food, on campus store
Cons: parking
excellent place to work very friendly honest, humbling, and you might get to hear a few war stories from the older veterans
Unproductive and challenging place to work
Program Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 17, 2014
Limited upward mobility or vision within the agency. Very few visionaries willing to take action to enhance the organization's services to veterans
Great work place
Financial Accounts Manager (Current Employee), Fort Snelling, MNMarch 15, 2014
This is a great place to work and value my experience here. I currently work here and would consider leaving this job for the right opportunity.
Productive and busy
Lead Procurement Technician (Current Employee), Alexandria, LAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: veterans activities
Cons: healthcare
Enjoy working at the Department of Veterans Affairs, always honoring our Veterans
High turn over rate
Police Officer (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 13, 2014
8 hour shifts, bi-weekly pay, great benefit package, leadership lacking.
good place to work
Food Production & Service Manager (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 12, 2014
good place to work. taking care of our veterans is an ongoing job.being a veteran, i understand the need.
A day at the the VA
Accounting Technician - 0525 (Former Employee), Austin, TxMarch 11, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: no dental insurance
A typical day consisted of the processing of payments to vendors that support the VA's vast healthcare network. These duties also included performing Audits on purchase orders/working with explanation of benefits and tracing treasury checks while sending out the appropriate claim forms to vendors.

At the VA I learned a lot about accounting as well – more... as how a lot of government agencies collaborate together to solve problems – less
Unprofessional ,degrading, worst place to work
Medical staff (Former Employee), north Chicago VAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: few nice civilian staff
Cons: horrible management. unprofessional navy officers. stay away
Worked at VA north Chicago Worst place to work. Since the merge w navy took over. Treated staff poor. Management poor. Working w veterans was nice. But no one is happy there and all are waiting to retire. Common question was how much longer do you have to retire. Worst 3 years of my life. It did not have to be bad. Navy should work w navy. Officers – more... were unprofessional. Rude unqualified After discussing findings w upper management they choose to ignore. Bullying , & women treated poorly. Union was useless. All employees were so unhappy it was sad to work there.
The only thing positive there was some lovely civilian workers there.
I'm so glad I'm gone. Lesson learned. – less
Poor place to work
Data Performance Specialist (Current Employee), Des Moines IAMarch 10, 2014
very poor leadership
just look at the retention rates - do not take a job there
Great Experience
Social Work Intern and Research Assistant (Former Employee), North Hills, CAMarch 10, 2014
Lots to learn. Great opportunity to work with professionals in different fields. Rewarding opportunity.
Several Projects to work on and a lot of experience received
Systems Redesign Resident (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 10, 2014
I was invovled in several process improvement projects and found that through these projects I gained a many skills that I had not had prior. My department worked well and there were always several projects that needed to be completed in many areas of the hospital. I did not enjoy the culture at the hospital and I found many employees in other areas – more... lacking many key skills such as computer literacy. There is also very little movement within the organization. Any movement can take months and the upward mobility is slow. – less