Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs United States Employee Reviews

Productive and exceptional work environment
PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Resident (Current Employee), Salisbury, NCApril 14, 2015
I enjoy making a positive impact on veterans' lives on a daily basis. I am able to demonstrate my commitment to providing the best care possible.
Very nice work atmosphere
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
The job was wonderful, especially the job security. Paid vacations and holidays. Part-time is the only thing I didn't like. Wish I could have had more hours
current employee
Claims Assistant (OA) Full-time (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 13, 2015
Pros: This is a place where you don't get fired, you have to fire yourself..
Cons: lots of work to be done. Everything is backlogged.
The hours are excellent. Very flexible career. I would definitely recommend anyone to work for the VA. It is a good way to get your foot into the door to work for the government.
reveiw
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas , TXApril 13, 2015
As a combat medic I have learned how to start IV's ,know how to insert foleys, know how to do dosage calculations and give medications. I also know how do splints, medical assessments and trauma assessments.Administer emergency medical treatment to battlefield casualties. Assist with outpatient and inpatient care and treatment. Interview patients and recording their medical histories. Take patients' temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Prepare blood samples for laboratory analysis. Keep health records and clinical files up-to-date. Give shots and medicines to patients. Prepare patients, operating rooms, equipment and supplies for surgery.Can perform certain procedures. Plus I am well equipped to deal with various personalities do to my experience in ER and Neuro ICU, and in corrections.
Great Place to Work
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Department of Veterans AffairsApril 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits and People are great.
Cons: None
A typical day is you will get your work, lunch, and take a break.Great place to work. I learned a lot. The co-workers are very nice. You will enjoy working here.
I loved working with veterans
Medical Records Technician (MRT) (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 8, 2015
Pros: military related
Cons: Busy environment
A typical day at the VA pertains to servicing disabled veterans with disability claim by providing them with a copy of their health care information.
Production of claims and quality has to be within standards. Government regulations are always changing and you have to be flexible.
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Leave, RDOs
Cons: Production Standards, Quality Standards
A typical day at work is to get through as many claims as possible to keep within the production standards. You also have to make sure these claims are processed completely and accurately. If a veteran wants to add a dependent on their award you have to calculate the increase and then write the letter to the veteran to let them know what changes were made and what their new payment will be.

Management is there to assist if you need extra help on a difficult case. My co-workers are also trying to get their points so they are busy with their own cases. The most difficult part is staying self-motivated for the entire day and completing the number of cases that I am required to do.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to help veterans everyday.
Usual Government Position
Senior Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Decatur, GAApril 6, 2015
Productive, but very strict standards, ability to promote after a least three years of consistent production.

Began as a Work Study here, and advanced quickly to permanent employee, and since have promoted three times over the course of five years.
Caregiver (Current Employee), Columbia, SCApril 3, 2015
I love this place. It is a great place to work. I feel like I have been given the opportunity to help someone change his or her life. I love helping others.
interesting daily adventures
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCApril 3, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers and veterans
Cons: health benefits and pay
Working on the psych unit is a very refreshing feeling. Helping veterans through the day is my way of showing my appreciation for all that they have done for us.
Very friendly atmosphere in my work environment.
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 2, 2015
Pros: Self scheduling.
Cons: Driving distance to work.
I am an RN-Staff nurse, relief charge nurse and mostly team leader. I work on rehab/long term care unit. Rehab certified.
The most difficult part of my job is making the assignment.
Great job and great situation
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee), DenverMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Schedule, workload
Cons: pay
Not all jobs in the VA are great but this wasn't bad for the grade. I enjoyed my time there and the management was great. The office was convenient to commute to.
Great Job, but few promotions
Employee Education System/Broadcast & Video (Current Employee), Arlington, VAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Work life balance
Cons: Promotion
I have the best of both worlds. I work with great people, professional colleagues who enjoy the work. We work together as a team to deliver a great studio production and quality work for the client.
Absolutely horrible place to work.
Senior Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 31, 2015
I can only comment on my experience at the Milwaukee Regional Office but I can say that management only cares about getting bonuses. They absolutely don't care about the mission or veterans. I can say that 99% of management do not have any military background whatsoever so they are uniquely qualified to not care about veterans at all. I wouldn't wish working at this office on my worst enemy.
VA
Chief Information Officer, Minneapolis VAMC (Current Employee), MinneapolisMarch 30, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Long hours
An organization that I have been trying to work for for years. As a veteran, I help to improve the ICARE mission statement. Integrity: Act with high moral principle. Adhere to the highest professional standards. Maintain the trust and confidence of all with whom I engage.

Commitment: Work diligently to serve Veterans and other beneficiaries. Be driven by an earnest belief in VA's mission. Fulfill my individual responsibilities and organizational responsibilities.

Advocacy: Be truly Veteran-centric by identifying, fully considering, and appropriately advancing the interests of Veterans and other beneficiaries.

Respect: Treat all those I serve and with whom I work with dignity and respect. Show respect to earn it.

Excellence: Strive for the highest quality and continuous improvement. Be thoughtful and decisive in leadership, accountable for my actions, willing to admit mistakes, and rigorous in correcting them.
Productive, secure and result oriented
MANAGEMENT AND PROGRAM ANALYST (Current Employee), L'Enfant Plaza East, Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Telework and Flex Time
Cons: Long Hours
Very productive and informative; result oriented envirnoment, inform management as needed; work very well with co-workers and supervisor.
Dedicated staff with a lot of activities for the veterans to do. The staff appreciates all the extra help they get .
Day Program Volunteer Aide (Former Employee), North Hills, CAMarch 29, 2015
A necessary and good organization that is there for our veterans. The veterans are respectful of each other regardless of which conflict they were involved with and it was gratifying to work with them.
Excellent place to work!
Health Technician (Nursing) (Current Employee), Biloxi, MSMarch 28, 2015
Positive atmosphere and impressive benefits! The position has great flexibility with school related functions. The environment allows for working on assignments while inactive at work! Overall excellent place to work!
Complete satisfaction
LPN (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 28, 2015
Taking care of our Veterans was such a gratifying experience. I was honored to have been a part in their care.

The medical team that I was privileged to work with was completely patient Veteran committed to the highest quality of care to each and every one of our Veterans.
Excellent place to work
General Clerical III/ Administrative (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMarch 26, 2015
Pros: My co-workers in contracting
Cons: N/A
The Department of Veterans Affairs is an excellent place to work with a lot of really great employees. It is like one big family. I loved it!

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$38,821 per year
Attendant Counselor
$2,618 per month

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel