Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee), Mountain HomeDecember 7, 2014
Pros: accurate allotment of time to see patients
Cons: poor administration in the psychiatry department, nurse practitioners are not respected and are frequently targeted.
As a previous employee I found myself as a personal target. The administrators out right lied when they submitted paperwork about meetings with myself, which I have on recording. When expressing concerns, administration turned it into me complaining and not following protocol. The would not document in the system the nature of my meetings, but required – more... me to do so. And outright lied. The campus police lied in a court of law. I have the detective recorded as well. I thoroughly enjoyed my job at Mountain Home VAMC and it was taken from me 11 days prior from when my 2 year probationary period was up. I have never seen such a dishonest and vindictive set of management in my entire career. With regard to my father being an Air Force Veteran, he will never seek services within this VA due to this occurrence and has contacted his representative regarding the tape recordings and documentation that I have. This was truly a job that I enjoyed. The population is one that I have the utmost respect for. But the management team within the Psychiatry Service needs a new set of faces to encourage cohesiveness and quality of care.It is evident if one examines the turnover in this department that it is a trend of people being targeted to the point that they resign and go elsewhere, where their input to the team matters and is heard. Physicians got perks of leaving when they wanted to in administration, took extended lunches, left early, and came in late without recourse. Which I advised administration of, however if i asked a question about the time, the response I was given was, "do you really want to go there?" – less
Department of Veterans Affairs
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 6, 2014
Pros: job satisfaction
Cons: lack of communication
I received a great sense of team work. My co-workers were supportive. It was a pleasure coming into work everyday.
Constantly changing enviorment with daily challenges
Peer Support Counselor/Specialist (Current Employee), Manchester, NHDecember 5, 2014
A typical day is thriving to excel and exceed the needs and wants of our veterans. Majority of the time is spent in a clinical environment assisting veterans in goal orientation and preparation with life events. Throughout my time at the VA Medical Center in Manchester, New Hampshire I have learned the value of team work combined with the ability to – more... do more with less. Working alongside a great team that must not only excel at assisting each other but also be open to new ideas and even ones that don’t always work well in a uniformed job environment.

One of the hardest parts of my job is knowing that there isn’t always a quick answer or a direct fix. Sometimes it will take weeks or months to get results. However, the individuals that we work with on a daily basis are strong and willing to put the work and effort in which makes the job and the environment much more rewarding. I would say that this may also be the most enjoyable part of the job. The constant demand and personal gain that one gets from assisting these men and women who have given so much for so little. – less
Making sure patients needs are met and assist as neeeded
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Hampton, VADecember 4, 2014
Taking care of patients practicing teamwork. Asisst as needed having patience and understanding,helping others,
challenging
Certified pharmacy technician (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 3, 2014
Pros: federal benefits
Cons: 1hour+ commute, zero advancement, poor leadership
There is no advancement opportunities in the pharmacy department nor merit increases even if you're a pharmacist and have been at VA for 20-40 years. It's the same repetitive responsibilities. Great work is not recognized but supervisors will be on your case if the slightest mistake happens. Management (at any level) have very little managerial skills – more... and only minimal "people skills." – less
Government Job
HEALTHCARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Durham, NCDecember 2, 2014
Pros: pto and leave
Cons: management and oversight
Military Retiree would benefit from this environment as it would put them in at a higher GS pay rating
Faculty needs improvement
Admin (Current Employee), Outpatient ClinicDecember 1, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor leadership
Leadership skills are lacking at this facility. Unfair work practices. The organized and productive are rewarded with more work while the slackers have little to no stress.

Frustrations run high when you are unable to use your skills to perfect processes which would make operations run smoother.
job
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee), Helena, MTDecember 1, 2014
It has been wonderful working with this company. They are always compassionate and willing to work with you based on your needs. i have learned more medical and work ethics within this job from just starting and practicing more with my skills.
Productive and easy going place to work.
MEDICAL REIMBURSEMENT TECHNICIAN (GS-06) (Current Employee), Smyrna, TNDecember 1, 2014
A typical day of work starts with completing assigned tasks before deadlines and communicating with other departments. The management is pretty easy going (especially when it comes to time off that is needed for emergencys). The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to freely communicate with other employees.
Very poor management culture
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNNovember 29, 2014
Pros: federal pension
Cons: too numerous to mention
Management is focused on making numbers for their own benefit. They have little to no incentive to improve efficiency. They are not very open to suggestions and don't want the extra work involved in implementing better ways of doing things.
Days went fast
LPN (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 27, 2014
Pros: great changes for advancemnets. many wonderful doctors.
Cons: an hour away from home
Fast paced. Triaging Veteran's needs, vital signs, injections, ekg's, and direct contact with many medical professionals.
Mission oriented
Contract Specialist (Former Employee), Canandaigua, NYNovember 25, 2014
Pros: good work atmosphere
Cons: federal bureaucracy from washington
Good organization.
Boss 100 miles away.
Dedicated to veterans.
Professional Environment with Awesome Coworkers
Administrative Assistant (Intern) (Current Employee), Oakland, CANovember 24, 2014
Pros: flexible hours and great supervisor and staff
Cons: it's currently an intern position, not a permanent full-time position
I've learned about a great program called the "Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment" program that serves our disabled veterans. I am so grateful for this internship and how it has opened my eyes to certain resources provided by the U.S. government.
Great Company
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INNovember 24, 2014
education to vets, assisting physician with procedures, lab draws, ekg, giving the quality care that the vets deserve. calling patients and educating them over the phone as well. calling VA in Indy to schedule procedures, appointments with specialists.

Great Company
Working for my Fellow Veterans
LVN (Former Employee), Mather, CANovember 22, 2014
Pros: my military service time added to my retirement years for the va
Cons: no supervisor positions within the lvn level
Keeping the Doctors on task so the patients got seen in a timely manner, Do not get in to the group that like to be chatting when patients were waiting to be checked in. Management sometimes focused on the inappropriate areas need with the staff, with every job you have a variety of personalities your there to work and assist them too, so don't get – more... into any drama get a long with any co-work your there to do a job. Some LVN's are lazy and don't want to do direct patient care, Best part of my job is working with people I served in the Air Force with and I miss the speciality Clinic staff. – less
History
Volunteer (Former Employee), Dublin, GANovember 22, 2014
Pros: everything
Very historic, learn a lot from working with veterans. Meet several types of people from all over the country and they give you tips on how to be successful later on. Great volunteer opportunity for students and those trying to improve in their careers.
pretty good
Secretary I (Former Employee), Paramus, NJNovember 20, 2014
a typical day is just talking to customers and learning is how to sale becuase there is alot of other thing that can help you like emails that are send and lot of promotion. the hardest part is working in a walmart because sometime the manager wont work with you and can be difficult to sale if the manager is giving you a hard time
Working for the VA
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Bedford, MANovember 20, 2014
Pros: the veterans
Cons: no availabilty to move up
My typical day consists of scheduling appointments for veterans, receiving faxes, data base management and answering a multiline telephone. I work for 10 full time providers as well as 5 part time providers.
First job I did not have to take home with me.
Procurement Technician PCPC (Current Employee), Leavenworth, KSNovember 20, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: management does not follow the rules.
A lot of computer work using excel, outlook and PDF documents.
Dept of Veteran Affairs
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYNovember 20, 2014
I processed education benefits claims for active and retired veterans.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos