Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Stay Away
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 12, 2015
Pros: Cannot be laid off
Cons: Corruption, lack of advancement, Cronyism, low pay, bad managment, disorganization etc.
Orlando is one of the worst managed VA facilities in the nation.

Recently there has been a flood of employees leaving. While it is better than no job, if you have opportunities elsewhere take them.

The VA is one of the lowest ranked of all the large federal departments to work for and for good reason. In Orlando, its who you know and who likes you versus what you know and how well you perform.

You have been warned.
Close knit company with a sense of family for approaching the tasks
Senior IT Project Manager (Current Employee), Bay Pines, FLMay 12, 2015
Pros: Free lunch; paid time off;
Cons: No benefits; presumes everyone is retired military and has same benefits
This work effort is ideal for the niche it occupies because it gives the perfect measure of creativity and motivation to get it right. We all have a sense of the allocated volume for the work that needs to fit into it, but unlike that law of physics, we get moving and working to fill the volume with quality instead of panic.
Productive and growing company
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Murfreesboro,TNMay 11, 2015
The hardest part of working here is not having enough time in the day. Deliginetly and effeciently working but not being able to help as many patients as you would like.
working with a great group of people who care for our veterans
lpn (Current Employee), rome nyMay 11, 2015
Pros: work with a team of professionals
Cons: traveling long distances in winter weather...
my typical day at work is viewing dr orders, setting appointments and tasks for day, driving to pt homes with skilled nursing needs and assisting them with needs, knowing i have a team of coworkers a phone call away if needed of social work, ot/pt , Dr, dietary need, returing to my office after pt visits done for charting , placing consult, reordering pt meds ..bring back blood draws to lab...
Great asset for combat veterans looking to get into federal service.
Readjustment Counseling Technician (Former Employee), Lakewood, COMay 4, 2015
Pros: Work with other veterans, federal benefits
Cons: Terrible manager
• Provided a wide range of services to veterans in an effort to make a successful transition from military to civilian life.
• Advised service members on appropriate means of utilizing the Veterans Affairs system as well as putting them in touch with the proper outlet concerning their problem.
• Provided counseling on mental health/readjustment issues to members of the military, reserve, and National Guard returning from the Global War on Terrorism, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
• Train new employees on how to use internal VA records systems and to navigate different websites pertaining to veteran issues.
• Be able to identify veteran experiencing suicidal and homicidal ideations and properly hand call off to the Veterans Crisis Line.
• Responsible for providing veterans with appropriate referrals to the Veterans Counseling Centers via Microsoft Outlook.
• Assisted veterans in finding help with disability and compensation claims as well as home loan benefits and burial arrangements.
• Stayed up to date on the VA trainings for both mental and physical health through the Department of Veterans Affairs Talent Management System.
• Gave guidance on usage of Ebenefits website and how to efficiently navigate and manage VA benefits.
• Listen to veterans readjustment issues and provide peer support
Made up the difference in someone's life who required it
Caregiver (Former Employee), Mount Dora, FLMay 2, 2015
Pros: In out of the weather, come and go as necessary
Cons: Patient progressively deteriorated over time after stroke and passed away
Typical day at work was not to difficult. Make sure patient was comfortable clean, took medication ate healthy meals in timely manner ,Entertainment from friends, relatives, Television radio, pets. Caring for elderly has great rewards, they cannot thrive on their own. Co-workers would be visits from weekly visits from RN and occasional visits from health aids and clergy. Hardest part of job was low pay, actually. More money would have helped immensely.{in this situation} Most enjoyable part was the stories from way back when things were simpler, the realization that this person gets to mstay in his own home to enjoy privacy and freedom, with pets, own room, pride and self esteem
Mammorgram Scheduling
Mammography Program Assistant I (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 30, 2015
Loved working here. Was a great experience and I learned a lot in a hospital setting. Friendly people who enjoy their jobs.
Assistant nurse manager
Assistant nurse manager (Current Employee), Albany, NYApril 30, 2015
responsible for assisting with performance improvement, customer service/patient satisfaction, patient and employee safety, interviewing applicants, employee relations, standards of care and practice, the work environment, and accreditation and regulatory standards. Actively develops and manages collaborative partnerships with physicians and other clinicians. Responsible for assisting with staffing, validating the daily patient classifications, and working with others to identify and share resources. Participates on service and medical center committees and task forces to improve nursing practice and patient care.
very productive
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 30, 2015
I've been working with the Department Of Veterans Affairs since 1980 and I'm still working. I love working with the Veterans and for the Veterans
Great place for go getters who are willing to work hard
Counselor (Current Employee), Saint petersburg, FLApril 29, 2015
I love interacting with veterans providing insight and informing them of resources available to them. Most employees remain with this agency until retirement so job stability is great
It's amazing
Employee (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 28, 2015
Pros: Can't get fired
Cons: No one gets fired
This is the best job ever. They hire everyone and it is always sunshine and rainbows. Everyone should come apply to work with the greatest Americans ever. There is no better job in the world.
Excellent place to work
LVN (Former Employee), Bonham, TXApril 27, 2015
Pros: Loved going to work daily
Cons: No cons
I worked in the community living center. It was such a wonderful place to work. Coworkers there are the best Ive ever worked with. Management was firm but very good to their employees. Working with our American heros, the greatest feeling!
Great Benefits
RN BSN, Operating Room Circulator and Scrub Nurse (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2015
Diverse operating room experience, with many different types of cases. Opportunity to circulate and scrub which adds to already diverse background.
good learning
Volunteer (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 24, 2015
i get to experience in helping customers while learning the trades and to meet new ppl. helping customers to there appionments or food ordering as u take them to a seat of there choice. i got to make reminder calls for the upcoming appionments and get a yes or no if they were coming or not.
Great Agency
EEO Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 23, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
This is one of the best Agencys I have ever worked for. I enjoyed my coworkers and working with the team members. I would definitely work for this Agency Again.
I am a skilled internist.
Medical Officer (Current Employee), Houston TexasApril 21, 2015
I am able to handle multiple problems at once and have a wide range of clinical skills. I go in early to work to review my labs and reports from the previous days. I stay organized and focused during the entire day.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 20, 2015
I made some great friends while volunteering at the VA Hospital. It's a great experience and a great way to help veterans.
NSD Coordinator
On-Boarding Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: Nice work life balance
Cons: none
Nice work from home opportunity. Work/Live balance is very good. There is no stress at all here! It's very hard to get hired full time if you're not a veteran, however.
nice secure job
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee), Waco, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: job stability, and training
Cons: sometime work environment such as Decon can be uncomfortable
Start all equipment and run test in morning on everything. Support Clinic and OR Techs in processing trays, scopes and equipment.
Learned about complete process of SPS.
Management has had lot of turnover, and Ive done Sterile Processing at four different facilities. Ive had very good Manangement.
Co-workers in general are hard workers. I have the ability to get along and respect my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of job is the sress level to complete tasks correctly and in a timely manner.
The most enyable part of my time in Sterile Processing is working with scopes, and the people Ive met and grown to respect.
Great Career Advancement
Cardiology /Medical Machine Technician (Former Employee), Decatur, GAApril 19, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits Good Vterans Jokes, wonderful people
Cons: It got really! busy when Vets lost jobs and benefits
I have 20+ years the VA Administration. I really felt like I made a difference in every aspect of all the positons I held during those years. I stated in the Medical clinic, dabbled in medical records ransferred to administions then EKG, Nuclear Medicine and lastly to the Cardiac Echo lab and my final position was Lead Technician/Office Manager. I was exciting and some day it was hard and crzy. I felt like I was in a MASH unit. I loved it but over a period of time it became a little taxing. I was want to not stress so much anymore. I miss the people and still keep in touch with many of them today. It was a positive experence that be with me lwys.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$2,594 per month
Medical Support Assistant
$38,787 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel