Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,419 reviews matching the search
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 8, 2017
Very challenging environment. You must be focus to succeed. Great committment at the begining will help. Opportunity for overtime available.
Very busy place.
Computer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 8, 2017
We as an IT support the call agents in order in a better way to serve our veterans. For that particular reason, everything in this place has priority. Is very busy, but every day you learn or deal with something new.
Pros
Hands on work, with real / virtual people.
Cons
The supevisor is not there for you when you needed.
Relaxed Atmosphere
Veterans Industries Worker (Former Employee) –  Northport, NYFebruary 8, 2017
When I would come to work I would meet fellow veterans with similar backgrounds. We would communicate about different topics and opportunities on a typical day.
Pros
Reliable and caring
Cons
Traveling to work
Well organized
ACMA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Clinton, OKFebruary 7, 2017
The place is very well organized and always focuses on what is best for the resident and the family. People around you are always willing to help and there is never a shortage of staff.
Great Place to work
Veterans Benefits Administration (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 7, 2017
Everyone is treated like family. Provide assistance and support for the Social Work Department and also to the veterans that need assistances in the social work department. Ability to provide research program and resource services support.
I volunteered
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 7, 2017
It was a humbling experience, and I am glad I had the chance to help. The veterans are what made this worth every second for me.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
hard work goes unnoticed
20 steps to take 2 steps
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Great for medical providers but the lowely worker will be burned out unless they join a band of slackers.

Management is incompetent.
Very great place to work.
Case Manager Charlottetown Manor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2017
Case Manager for Charlottetown Manor. Provided employment services to disabled veterans. Support Veteran's with job counseling, interviewing and placement. Leader of workshop classes and provides follow-up counseling.
Pros
Great people and work culture.
Medical support assistant
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSFebruary 6, 2017
Lots of job duties are included, knowledge of typing and familiarity with computers, filing, faxing, emailing, may need to learn more than one area in the hospital, lots of phone calls, and helping veterans in person at the desk, label making and helping to update handbooks.
Pros
Fulltime, medical benefits, vacation time
Cons
Busy once the doors open in the am. Not a lot of room to advance.
Great place to work but needs improvement
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 5, 2017
They're unwilling to change their ways and improve their processes. The majority of the services they provide can be handled by civilian hospitals. The VA should only treat unique medical cases, e.g., PTSD.
Pros
Good pay and promotion
Meaningful Work for an Honorable Mission
Solutions Architect and Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 5, 2017
At the US Department of Veterans Affairs, you will be regularly tasked with complex tasks and tough assignments. You can make a difference by taking those tasks and assignments to heart and making things happen for a worthy cause.
Provides much needed medical care to our Veteran population
Administrative Officer- Quality Improvement (Current Employee) –  East Orange, NJFebruary 3, 2017
While I believe the access to medical care for our patients receive has improved, there is still much needed to be done. The management seems to be bogged down with too much talking about issues and not enough action to correct them.
Pros
Federal Holidays off, job security, good vacation time.
Cons
very little opportunity for advancement, very political, Service Chiefs tend to be very territorial.
Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter 31 Student (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 2, 2017
I was a college student. The VA paid for me to return to school and they paid me while I was in school. They paid for my books and bought me two laptops.
Pros
Free school
Cons
Pay
Medical Reinbursement Technician (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSFebruary 1, 2017
Love working for the veterans of our great nation! A little worried that our new president is going to make it hard to get a job within the federal government. As much as I love doing what I do, I am relocating to Texas and can't keep my job at the VA.
Pros
Cool work environment
learning and leadership ability
Executive Assistant to Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSFebruary 1, 2017
The ability to learn across various service lines in a short time has served me well.

Most recently, I turned my focus on coordinating services with various programs to include the Veteran Choice Program by assisting with service agreements between Specialty Care Services and Care in the Community Program. I am identified as a subject matter expert on the appropriateness of Consults to include training on Stat, and Routine with our healthcare system Associate Chief of Staff, of Education. On behalf of GCVHCS I am working with a diverse team to reestablish connections throughout surrounding communities, to enhance services we provide, and to sustain services provided by the healthcare system, with the Department of Defense, and various community stakeholders. I have innate ability to analyze, and speak to facilities financial resources which has provided opportunity to change discussions to be patient centered which ensures Veterans are treated timely with emphasis on respect and dignity. I am dedicated to cultural transformation and I continuously strive to update and educate internal and external stakeholders on Patient Centered Care initiatives to increase communication between Veterans, Clinicians, and facility leadership.
I have a broad knowledge of the Veterans Health Administration mission, and values which enables me to move processes forward in various service lines. I am a trusted advisor to the Chief Of Staff, Clinical Service Leaders, Healthcare System Leadership, and VISN Level Clinical Program Managers that my feedback and input are sought out continuously
  more... to improve processes. I have been influential in helping form the strategic goals in multiple service lines, to include increase productivity at the operational level and executive level which has improved Veteran, and employee satisfaction.  less
Department
Contract Specialist GS (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 1, 2017
Great Place to work
The work is dynamic.
The people are great to interact with.
The work hours are perfect. The benefits are awesome.
Pros
Job security
State Employer
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Union Grove, WIFebruary 1, 2017
Very busy and fast paced, you are on your feet majority of day. Plenty of opportunity to stay current on your Nursing Skills. Poor work/life balance with mandated forcing and continuous over scheduling, there is no such thing as part-time employment here. Pay and benefits are pretty good. Management is not the greatest. Most enjoyable part of my day is servicing our well deserving Veterans and their families.
Benefits
Cons
Mandated forcing and over-scheduling causing poor work/life balance
Dept of Veterans affairs
Clinical Pharmacist, Anticoagulation Clinic (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 1, 2017
Wide variety of opportunities and different types of pharmacist positions such as anticoagulation, ambulatory care, PACT, inpatient pharmacy. Good benefits
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 31, 2017
Good place to work. Very busy work environment is great. Enjoy coworkers. Great location, patients really makes the day go uh faster. Overall great place to work
Great team to work with
Test Lead (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJanuary 31, 2017
Good potential for growth and a great learning experience. Team is very supportive and friendly. Challenges are faced with a positive approach and encouragement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval