Department of Veterans Affairs

1.1K reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

VA is my favorite place to work
MarinaS-RCIS-extern (Former Employee), Dearoit,VAAugust 3, 2015
Pros: team work
Cons: none
I had rotated during my externship I felt the satisfaction of working for great men and women of our beautiful country.Taking care and giving them best possible medical care.
The people I worked with were awesome team and manager was
very efficient.
Loved it
Nice place to work & the people
Expanded Funtions Dental Assistant (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Great people, nice place to work, nice atmosphere, etc.
Cons: Short lunches
I have been here since July 2014, which gives me about 1 year. I like it so far. I am currently a floater which I do not like. So, from day to day I don't know what I am doing or helping out.

Since I am in the VA system, I am trying to get a transfer back to Florida. That is where my family is, my friends, etc.
Enjoyed assisting fellow Veterans
Records Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Eglin Air Force Base, FLAugust 2, 2015
Assisted active duty members transitioning to the civilian workforce force. Reviewed records to make sure all required guidelines had been completed.
Under staff, very large turn over, unhappy employees
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Salem, VAAugust 2, 2015
Large amount of red tape and politics. NO fairness, coworkers did not get along. The morality is very low. No advancement.
GREAT BENEFITS
Medical Reimbursement Technician (Current Employee), TNAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedule
Cons: production, difficult to move up
You have the option to choose which work schedule best suit you. I go in sign onto my system and begin working until my 1st break, then work until lunch, then return back to work until my last break, then afterwards I work until its time to go home. I come in do my work and go home. The job is easy, the hardest part is not getting involved in office gossip.
ok place to work
Senior third party claims rep (Former Employee), Saint Louis Park, MNJuly 31, 2015
Pros: able to help the veterans who fought for our country
Cons: managment and how things were ran
iqor was an iteresting place to work - things always were changing nothing ever stayed the same for long - new policies and procedures all the time - some needed some very not needed - very complicated to do your job as the rules changed constanly and not everyone was kept up to date - you would hear about changes from other employees not managment
Providing services for Veterans
Assistant Human Resources Officer (Current Employee), Augusta, GAJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Providing services for Veterans
Cons: None
Providing services for Veterans. Working in Human Resources. Creating best practices and being compliant with federal rules and regulations.
great place to work
Sr. Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 31, 2015
Pros: many users
Cons: traffic
Typical work day includes checking with all users at work and making sure systems are functioning correctly. Imaging new system for incoming users from other facilities
Fantastic mission
Chief, Materials, Supply and Distribution (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARJuly 29, 2015
This organization works hard to take care of the patients and provides excellent care. Professional staff.
Work is gradifiying.
overall great company.
Administrative Assistant / ADPAC (Current Employee), new york nyJuly 29, 2015
great health care facility with career growth. dedicated to help veterans and employees alike. coworkers are very professional and caring.
Exciting and very rewarding job helping Veterans
Intern (Former Employee), San DiegoJuly 29, 2015
Love working for the Department of Veterans Affairs but its only a internship and I am out there looking for a career where i can still help people.
A good place to work if management changes
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits, patient care, nursing staff
Cons: No matter how smart and hard I worked, I did not seem to get promoted
I worked there for approximately 24 years. When the management changed, the job culture changed, and the morale decreased. I would like to elevate my skills at this time. This location was not amenable for this.
Medical Support Assistant
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Lorain, OHJuly 28, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: short lunches
The US Department of Veteran Affairs was a great place to work. I learned a lot through my coworkers as well at the patients. Everybody in this clinic was great to work with.
Many great caring individuals
Facility Management Engineer (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJuly 28, 2015
Loaded with great caring individuals, Typical government regulated agency. Challenges daily to accomplish what has been asked of you due to red tape and regulations.
aerving veterans is a noble/worthwhile duty
CA (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAJuly 28, 2015
Pros: resources to perform task
Cons: constant changes in work duties
Advancement for me was not possible being a civilian employee. It was a federal job.
Co-workers were not as dedicated to the mission.
Administrative work in a medical setting
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJuly 24, 2015
A decent place to work, great opportunities, good coworkers, management was responsive and competent. Work was interesting and kept the worker busy. Pay was good for the position.
Fulfilling job helping fellow Veterans
Work Study (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Satisfaction to help others
Cons: No advancement, part time only, work study position.
I had the opportunity to meet and help many Veterans and most importantly to help them with problems they had at school. I had access to thousands of files and fix issues to improve their lives at college.
Hostile working environment
Medical Laboratory Technician/Phlebotomist (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Compensation/Benefits
Cons: Hostile working environment due to supervisor.
A typical day at work is very stressful and there's a lot of tension within the section. Every man/woman for themselves because you'll be thrown to the wolves. Supervisor is the problem. Within two years, the supervisor has had EEO complaints, union complaints. High turn over in employees. Your hard work isn't appreciated.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Durham, NCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: The brotherhood culture
Cons: The work stress
The VA does good work and most of the jobs are very demanding. The staff at the VA are very dedicated to their jobs and have a since of brotherhood.
My review of Veteran Medical Center
Telecommunications Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Great place of strong business mined men and women and hard work goal planning
Cons: Need more leadership and growth and development
My everyday work flow working in the VA Medical Center is great. There is a lot of work to be done, so I'm always busy. I learned so much about the telecommunication and how cool it is to be the telephone guy at work I manage very well with supervisors,
team leads and deputy chiefs when it comes to communication and assignments. My co-workers are super great when it comes to getting work done, and to be committed, persistent,and consistent around the clock. The most high about my job is assisting veterans everyday. These veterans make me a better person each and everyday I come to work. I look forward to seeing theses guys. The most enjoyable part of my job is listening to the soldiers tell their war stories while I'm on my break. You can never learn to much from a veteran. I love that part of my job hands down....
Industry