Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,134 reviews matching the search
Amazing place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2016
The hardest part of this job was seeing veterans who served our country being taken for granite and health and mental issues that went untreated for too long.
Growth
AMSA (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 27, 2016
There is great opportunity to enhance your job skills in many areas. Once you have done so, there are many opportunities to advance in other positions
Overall of management os needed in support of our nation's Vets
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hines, ILJune 26, 2016
outdated regulations and culture is inbeded which is set in their own ways and not willing to accept new ideas and change.
Cons
Micro managing supervisors
Fun and productive and sometimes skillful.
Food Service Worker Wg (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLJune 26, 2016
The typical day at work good morning ,get my job description get to work on time, get through the day co-workers work with them get the team-work going and do not discuss your life in less you want to be social or not, Then the most hardest part staying away from trouble or negative talk.The most enjoyable part is coming to a stress environment.
Amazing network and horizons expanded
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 23, 2016
I really enjoyed working with Dept. of Veterans Affairs. As an intern, I was be able to work as a normal human resources specialist which was a rare and wonderful opporunity. The coworkers were so caring and ensuring I received the top experience ever I received.
Pros
Environment
Cons
long bus rides to get to work and home, nonpaid
Police Officer
Federal Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 23, 2016
A typical day at work involves protecting government assets, workers and veterans. Enforcing federal law and regulations. Working as a team and also individually. Writing reports and providing customer service.
Pros
Working with veterans.
Cons
shift work
Nice place to work, no security as a contractor
PC Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 23, 2016
Typical day at work:computer deployment
What you learned:new procedures about computer troubleshooting
Management:there when needed
Your co-workers:always helpful
Hardest part of the job:finding new locations
The most enjoyable part of the job: able to use all my skills
Good place to work other than low pay
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAJune 23, 2016
Moral is low, Pay is extremely low and below the national median, Our patients are well cared for, The physicians are excellent and truly care for our patients,
Pros
working with our vets, good hours, no call, Holidays off
Cons
Low pay, management
As a veteran servicing veterans it empowers you to serve.
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48201June 23, 2016
I enjoy what I do as I service the public and veterans. I am governed by very strict guidelines for what I do and at times it can be very challenging.
Pros
Job stability and 401k/Pension protection
Cons
No enough advancement opportunities
management is a nightmare, lots of cliques who gang up on people to force them out
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 22, 2016
the management was absolutely terrible, very lazy, turned a blind eye to issues that were brought to their attention repeatedly. they tried different approaches to scare the underlings - from pretending to be nice, to yelling at people (actually raising their voice and yelling), to giving people intimidating looks and maintaining a cold shoulder/distance towards their underlings. they behaved more like they were prison guards, than actual managers.

this meant that rules were broken repeatedly by the underlings who knew what the management was going to ignore. there were many workplace violations that should not occur in a normal workplace, but were occurring on a daily or weekly basis at this place, because management would pick and choose when to do something about it, (which was rarely) especially if it was one of the management's favorites who was the perpetrator.
co-workers varied, some were very dedicated at their work, some did enough just to get by, but the majority seemed to love to gossip and play in the drama games, and try to duck out of doing actual work whenever possible.

this place was like being in prison, it was not like actually working at a real job. just like in prison, you had to figure out what to do in order to survive. if you had time to focus on the Veterans, that would have been a bonus.
Pros
govt. benefits
Cons
everything
A very outgoing company
ougoing worker (Former Employee) –  ST.LOUIS MOJune 21, 2016
I can do this job for both you and all the vetetsns available here.I have a very positive outgoing persononality for all
I will manage all tje qualities needed here.No questions asked
I can start now.Thank you carla gaus .
Pros
Great place to be hired
Cons
only full time I am.looking for part time
Needs improvement
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 21, 2016
This facility gives decent care but needs improvement in the leadership department. Leadership is not considerate of employees and not receptive to suggestions that could improve the quality of employment and the care that is provided to veterans. Open door policy to facility director could be better.
Pros
Execellent Benefits for employees
Cons
Employee pays for ALL of the benefits
Great place to work, great benefit packages
Currently Unemployed (Former Employee) –  Currently unemployedJune 20, 2016
Fun work place with supportive management. I enjoy working with veterans for all that they have sacrificed and learning of their experiences. I also have been a cardiac nurse for 12 years and certified in basic cardiology, BLS, and ACLS. I worked in fast paced clinic and also was at NMMC for 20 years treating surgery patients.
Pros
Spending time listening to the veterans, to work with those guys
Cons
Non
I enjoy working at the VA
Radiology/CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  Mather, CAJune 14, 2016
I have been with the VA in Sacramento for almost 20 years, I rotate through diagnostic imaging, CT and cath-lab. I have done almost everything from scheduling, produce diagnostic radiographic imaging, to starting IV's fro contrast studied in CT ( non-contrast studies as well).Have monitored and documented all step in a cath-lab procedure including medication given, supplies used etc.
great environment
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) (Former Employee) –  Tomah, WIJune 14, 2016
It was a great place to work. I felt like I was there to make a difference in the veterans lives. It was very much a teaching experience for me.
Pros
great teaching
Cons
not enough staff
Review Summary
Mid-Level Management Position (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 13, 2016
I worked there in mid-management, but found that I had hit a wall as far as advancement was concerned. I was also concerned about the constant reorganization of upper management in my later years. It seemed as if no one know who was supervising who. Also, no one could figure out why certain people were promoted over others. I enjoyed helping veterans and their families immensely until I was advised to answer their question, mail any form they requested and get of the phone. Basically, the organization had lost sight of its own mission vision and values: to provide world class customer service and first call resolution.
Pros
Benefits and Salary, Ability to Obtain Continuing Education
Cons
See above review.
Good
Remote Tester Performance Tester (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 13, 2016
Great environment.Work along side team members. Really relaxed. More opportunity to move up and learn.
Veteran Service Department
Specialist Veterans Claims Examiner Rep (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 13, 2016
Excellent place to work. Was able to fine tune my people skills and analytical skills with the Va. Forged many great relationships and friendships which my current skill set has thrive from.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Like any place, depending on management, the VA is a good place to work
Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53214June 10, 2016
Unless you're a veteran or a previous federal employee, it's hard to get a job with the VA. As with any company or job, if you have good leadership, working for the VA if fantastic; if you don't, just waking up for work can difficult.
Pros
Job security, good pay
Cons
Management, favoritism, politics, big egos
Educational environment
Program Manager/Supervisory Psychologist, GS (Current Employee) –  Montrose, NYJune 10, 2016
I am currently employed by the Department of Veterans Affairs Hudson Valley Health Care System as a Supervisory clinical psychologist.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location