Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

An Uptight and Politically Suffocating Workplace
Writer-Editor (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 19, 2014
Pros: it works in support of our nation's veterans
Cons: needs to change its culture of being politically incorrect
The Department of Veterans Affairs needs to change it culture of "lip-serving" the Nation's Veteran population; it needs to put actual service to Veterans need instead of espousing slogans. Too many people there in upper management spent their time in politically wasteful pursuits, while the rank-and-file employees sweated over their annual evaluations – more... and being demoted for standing up for the truth. I deployed to a combat inclusion zone while working for VA, but returned to a place that seemed to care little for my military service; this being the agency that should care. While here, I also retired from military service after 25 years and was forced to leave VA for greener pastures. I could never, ever call this place "Happy Valley." – less
Vibrant and productive
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MINovember 19, 2014
Pros: fellow co-workers were good, hard-working people.
I am a disabled veterans and a typical work day busy with paper work dealing with clients heavy call volume on the phones but other than that its pretty laid back you meet different types of people. etc I've learned how to deal with people with many different health and mental health issues, co workers are very friendly and helpful.
Serving those who have served our country
Executive Assistant- Intern (Former Employee), Olympia, WANovember 18, 2014
Providing our veterans with services such as medical, dental, and financial stability; in an office environment working for the state.
Excellent group of individuals to work with.
Program Data Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 17, 2014
Pros: excellent team
Cons: compensation vs work not in-balance
The client has novel intentions to do right by our veterans. Creativity is greatly rewarded and commended. The sense of service and mission critical nature of individual roles further ensures value on day to day basis. I would recommend this opportunity.
VA - Their Appearance is not what is Inside
Community Outreach Technician (Former Employee), Doral, FLNovember 17, 2014
Pros: its a job.
Cons: be careful how proactive you are.
Management will say one thing but will actively do the opposite.

My direct supervisor said he wanted an independent person who can think on their feet.

When I started thinking on my feet, my direct supervisor began to fabricate transgressions to get me FIRED.
Productive and fun workplace
Curatorial and Archival Assistant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 16, 2014
Pros: good educational experience, moma admission discount, field trips to museums, art lectures, recognition as a contributor, utilizing my art skills, lunch voucher
Cons: long commute, cafeteria does not cater to my diet and nutrition
A typical day at the VA Hospital as an assistant to the Recreational Therapist is very eventful. The patients in the art therapy group enlist my help and assistance with their creative projects, such as collages, poetry, and portrait photography. We recently showcased over 100 works of the veterans art at the Staten Island Borough Hall as a retrospective – more... of their accomplishments in the program and to honor Veterans Week. The therapist I am assisting, is truly an inspiring force. She is pioneering a movement that allows the veterans to have a venue where they can creatively and confidently express themselves through various mediums, and find a better understanding of themselves, their identities and their relationship with their environment. I have obtained new skills such as curatorial and archival skills, writing press releases, event invitations, planning, and designing banners. The hardest part of the job is tactfully selecting the best art work for the exhibitions. The most enjoyable part of the job is to engage with the artists and to watch their process in the art production. – less
unbalanced organization
GS 9 (Former Employee), PortlandNovember 16, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: unprofessional, incompetence in key positions, complex and stressful environment
Very mixed bag. VA is filled with good, hardworking folks who care about Veterans. Leadership is poor, key systems like HR are currently "broken," and frontline folks are overburdened and under-supported by management. Overemphasis on hiring Veterans into VA regardless of actual qualifications for the work. Not a fun place to be right now.
good work place
IT Assistant/Student Program (Former Employee), Lexington, KYNovember 15, 2014
typical work day busy with paper work dealing with clientsheavey call volume on the phones but other than that its pretty laid back you meet different types of people. etc ive learned how to deal with people with many different health and mental health issues, co workers are very friendly and helpful.
Great position for skills building.
Social Services Assistant (Current Employee), Hampton, VANovember 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is witnessing the progress and growth of the veterans from the time they enter the program until they complete. The hardest part is seeing some veterans return.
OK
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Wilmington, DENovember 12, 2014
Typical 12 hour shift that covers two shifts. One to two techs on the floor
After finishing Pre-Hire School, I was ready to start to work.
Cemetery Laborer (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNNovember 11, 2014
Pros: off on all federal holidays
Cons: worked in all types of weather.
After I finished with Pre-Hire Training, I was ready to start to work. My job as a Structure Assembler was not hard to get use to. I learned to produce quality work that was taught to me by my co-workers and supervisor.
NA
Program Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 7, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
productive and a nice place to work
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), san jose, caNovember 6, 2014
Excellent opportunities exist for persons with career-objectives and team enthusiasm
Defense Lodge U.S. Naval Reserve Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 6, 2014
Pros: telework options, training opportunities, travel
Veterancintric, extraordinary environment to keep abreast and develop new methodologies to streamline efforts to improve technology and customer service within relationships with contractors and partner government agencies
Work-study
VA Workstudy Claims Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Bragg, NCNovember 6, 2014
I helped Veteran's everyday whether directly or indirectly.
If it doesn't make sense, then sign the document.
Interior Designer. (Former Employee), Seattle, WashingtonNovember 5, 2014
Pros: serving my country.
Cons: despicable environment.
The VA was a harrowing experience for me. i worked hard due to the private-sector standards I was trained on. But the management here just takes advantage of your talent/compassion and willingness to go the extra mile. Nationally, my position was classified as a GS-12 to 14. Regionally in Seattle, I was classified as a GS-9. Should have been a GS-12 – more... which was a considerable amount of a pay increase for me. Do the math, I got paid almost minimum wage for the hours I was putting in. I petitioned in a professional manner for a GS 12 status, recommended by the National Director who had become my mentor. It was actually ignored. When I asked my NW Director why hadn't I heard about my request (after 6 mos.) he said, and I quote,: " Well, if I give you that rank, I will have to give everyone else in the facilities department an upgrade to their salary, so I can't give this to you".

Needless to say, I resigned the next day and luckily, had another job to step into. It was the same position with another Institution at a 30% increase plus better benefits.

Duhhhh, pay your employees what they are worth and for the value they bring to your organization. Otherwise they will leave, wasting your time and theirs. – less
Fun work place with very nice people.
General Diagnostic Radiologist (Former Employee), Mather, CANovember 4, 2014
General diagnostic radiology works. Learned about variety of pathologies and disease progress. Not involved in the management.
The most important part of any hospital
Program Support Assistant, GS (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 4, 2014
Pros: great employees
Cons: doctors that didn't care
Radiology was the most importatn part of the hoslpital becuase it illiminated the need for exploritoy surgery. The equipment was state of the art, the technologists were dedicated and prwod to work with the best equipment.
A good place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse, GS (Current Employee), West Haven, CTNovember 4, 2014
The VA is a good place to work. It does take dedication and comittment on the part of the employee to provide great care to our countries veterans.
Review
(VA Contractor) - Government Security Clearance (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MIOctober 31, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: very large, slow moving organization.
Great place to work. Friendly, supportive environment. Well documented IT procedures. Reasonable management

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos