Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
LVN (Former Employee), Bonham, TXApril 27, 2015
Pros: Loved going to work daily
Cons: No cons
I worked in the community living center. It was such a wonderful place to work. Coworkers there are the best Ive ever worked with. Management was firm but very good to their employees. Working with our American heros, the greatest feeling!
Great Benefits
RN BSN, Operating Room Circulator and Scrub Nurse (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2015
Diverse operating room experience, with many different types of cases. Opportunity to circulate and scrub which adds to already diverse background.
good learning
Volunteer (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 24, 2015
i get to experience in helping customers while learning the trades and to meet new ppl. helping customers to there appionments or food ordering as u take them to a seat of there choice. i got to make reminder calls for the upcoming appionments and get a yes or no if they were coming or not.
Great Agency
EEO Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 23, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
This is one of the best Agencys I have ever worked for. I enjoyed my coworkers and working with the team members. I would definitely work for this Agency Again.
I am a skilled internist.
Medical Officer (Current Employee), Houston TexasApril 21, 2015
I am able to handle multiple problems at once and have a wide range of clinical skills. I go in early to work to review my labs and reports from the previous days. I stay organized and focused during the entire day.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Omaha, NEApril 20, 2015
I made some great friends while volunteering at the VA Hospital. It's a great experience and a great way to help veterans.
NSD Coordinator
On-Boarding Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: Nice work life balance
Cons: none
Nice work from home opportunity. Work/Live balance is very good. There is no stress at all here! It's very hard to get hired full time if you're not a veteran, however.
nice secure job
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee), Waco, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: job stability, and training
Cons: sometime work environment such as Decon can be uncomfortable
Start all equipment and run test in morning on everything. Support Clinic and OR Techs in processing trays, scopes and equipment.
Learned about complete process of SPS.
Management has had lot of turnover, and Ive done Sterile Processing at four different facilities. Ive had very good Manangement.
Co-workers in general are hard workers. I have the ability to get along and respect my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of job is the sress level to complete tasks correctly and in a timely manner.
The most enyable part of my time in Sterile Processing is working with scopes, and the people Ive met and grown to respect.
Great Career Advancement
Cardiology /Medical Machine Technician (Former Employee), Decatur, GAApril 19, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits Good Vterans Jokes, wonderful people
Cons: It got really! busy when Vets lost jobs and benefits
I have 20+ years the VA Administration. I really felt like I made a difference in every aspect of all the positons I held during those years. I stated in the Medical clinic, dabbled in medical records ransferred to administions then EKG, Nuclear Medicine and lastly to the Cardiac Echo lab and my final position was Lead Technician/Office Manager. I was exciting and some day it was hard and crzy. I felt like I was in a MASH unit. I loved it but over a period of time it became a little taxing. I was want to not stress so much anymore. I miss the people and still keep in touch with many of them today. It was a positive experence that be with me lwys.
Really great atmosphere and you can go at your own pace with work.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2015
I love working here, I feel like I learn a lot every day, and I'm able to get help from many co-workers. The hardest part about this job is being able to consistently be doing research work, however the amount of knowledge I gain in research from doing it, is incredible. I've learned so many new things, starting from technology, mental disorders/illnesses, and the ability to communicate with vets/patients/subjects.
Busy group homes that are full of interesting experiences.
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Experience with different situations
Cons: Long hours and short on help
I had anywhere from 4-5 hours of personal care, following IEP for each individual, and administering medication. The group home that I worked in on a daily basis had four of the most amazing residents. They had been through so much and accomplished things that the doctors thought they wouldn't. The staff that was on call or on duty at the time were trustworthy and honest. In the time that I worked at this company, I had the pleasure of working with Department of Human Services and several physical and Occupational Therapists.
Terrible Place to work!
Prosthetics Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), Philadelphia, Pa.April 15, 2015
Pros: A good company to try to start off with.
Cons: Management Very petty and discrimative against veterans, they will set you up for Failure.
Management and their flunkies will set you up for failure. They will talk behind your back. Management will Call their family members who also work with in the VA Hospital down stairs to talk about you. None of the management, nor their family members are veterans. They discriminate against veterans. They make fun of veterans. They do not want veterans working there. HR are the ones who are trying to get veterans in to work there. They will give you all the work they do not want to do. Such as signing in boxes: searching through the computer to see who the boxes belong to(who made the purchase), scanning in their old invoices, constantly covering the reception desk every time the receptionist calls off(which is a lot), and she comes to work everyday late, and take 40min breaks. They will pile purchase orders on you, the ones they do not want to do, such as(cpap,glasses,shoes, surgical implants). These are the purchases that get high call volume from veterans. They can work over time to catch up on their work, but not the new employees. You have to do so much other work, to where you can't get your purchasing work done. You don't have a chance to get your work done. The purchases can not exceed past 5days. Management is very petty. They will call for a phone interview. They will start you off as GS-5.5 $38000
Medical Support
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 15, 2015
VA’s five core values underscore the obligations inherent in VA’s mission: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, and Excellence. The core values define “who we are,” our culture, and how we care for Veterans and eligible beneficiaries. Our values are more than just words – they affect outcomes in our daily interactions with Veterans and eligible beneficiaries and with each other. Taking the first letter of each word—Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence—creates a powerful acronym, “I CARE,” that reminds each VA employee of the importance of their role in this Department. These core values come together as five promises we make as individuals and as an organization to those we serve.
Practicum
OSDBU (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 15, 2015
I wasn't employed by the DVA, it was part of my MBA program. I learned a lot and had the opportunity to work with some very talented people.
Productive and exceptional work environment
PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Resident (Current Employee), Salisbury, NCApril 14, 2015
I enjoy making a positive impact on veterans' lives on a daily basis. I am able to demonstrate my commitment to providing the best care possible.
Very nice work atmosphere
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 14, 2015
The job was wonderful, especially the job security. Paid vacations and holidays. Part-time is the only thing I didn't like. Wish I could have had more hours
current employee
Claims Assistant (OA) Full-time (Current Employee), Memphis, TNApril 13, 2015
Pros: This is a place where you don't get fired, you have to fire yourself..
Cons: lots of work to be done. Everything is backlogged.
The hours are excellent. Very flexible career. I would definitely recommend anyone to work for the VA. It is a good way to get your foot into the door to work for the government.
reveiw
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas , TXApril 13, 2015
As a combat medic I have learned how to start IV's ,know how to insert foleys, know how to do dosage calculations and give medications. I also know how do splints, medical assessments and trauma assessments.Administer emergency medical treatment to battlefield casualties. Assist with outpatient and inpatient care and treatment. Interview patients and recording their medical histories. Take patients' temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Prepare blood samples for laboratory analysis. Keep health records and clinical files up-to-date. Give shots and medicines to patients. Prepare patients, operating rooms, equipment and supplies for surgery.Can perform certain procedures. Plus I am well equipped to deal with various personalities do to my experience in ER and Neuro ICU, and in corrections.
Great Place to Work
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Department of Veterans AffairsApril 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits and People are great.
Cons: None
A typical day is you will get your work, lunch, and take a break.Great place to work. I learned a lot. The co-workers are very nice. You will enjoy working here.
I loved working with veterans
Medical Records Technician (MRT) (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYApril 8, 2015
Pros: military related
Cons: Busy environment
A typical day at the VA pertains to servicing disabled veterans with disability claim by providing them with a copy of their health care information.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$2,598 per month
Medical Support Assistant
$38,363 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel