Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs United States Employee Reviews

Working with the Federal Government is an enjoyable career.
In my previous job as Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 16, 2015
Pros: good health benefits, retirement benefits.
Cons: hard to get a promotion.
A day at work is not complicated, went in and started the day with co-workers at our desks. To me the hardest part of the job was, stocking the areas of office supplies for all employees use. I enjoyed working at the office, it was a very enjoyable workplace, close to public transportation, restaurants.
Enriching job experience working with Veteran clients in a military subculture
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2015
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: minimal compensation
* Direct callers to site or provide basic information of provided resources
* Military Veterans received specialized assistance through resources provided through DVA
* Management was qualified and trained to respond to Veteran needs or crisis
* Part-time position was temporary to permit other Veteran candidates the opportunity to assist through DVA
* Social networks were developed and created long term contacts
Easy place, just annoying.
IT Support (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 16, 2015
Pros: easy calls, easy lifestyle
Cons: micromanagement, covering for the lazy workers, must find a replacement for yourself when going on vacation, no training whatsoever.
Easiest job I've ever had, IT support for nurses and doctors and other people who worked for the VA.

Ticket creation, password resets, and barely any troubleshooting.
Excellent mission to help Veterans with their healthcare needs.
Assistant Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 15, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Excellent mission to help Veterans with their healthcare needs. Good advancement opportunities nationally at many medical centers.
Diverse place to work
Executive Assistant to the Director (Former Employee), 345 Perry Hill Rd Montgomery, AL 36109March 13, 2015
I enjoyed working for the department of Veterans Affairs I learned a lot of skills and I enjoyed working for the veterans.
VA Hospital Portland Oregon
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great work atmosphere
Cons: customer service not good. understaffed at times.
Great work atmosphere. Management good and in touch with employees. Opportunities to move up in pay scale. Would definitely work for them again if given the chance.
Productive Staff and nice environment
Cashier /GS (Former Employee), Leavenworth, KSMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great work times, breaks, and friendly staff
Cons: slow advancement
Performed work in support of the agency's cash processing operations, which involved the receipt, disbursement, examination, deposit, custody and other clerical or administrative tasks. Received and dispersed cash in accordance with the corresponding laws, rules and regulations for the particular transaction. Ensured the fulfillment of regulatory requirements associated with depository functions. Exercised responsibility for the direct support of agency cash, check, and electronic funds transfer processing functions involving the receipt, disbursement, examination, deposit, custody and other processing of cash. Utilized automated systems to record transactions. Processed cash-link deposits and e-payments in a timely manner. Examined and performed quality audits of deposits in order to ensure regulatory issues were met. Reconciled cash accountability and reviewed vouchers for completeness, accuracy, and propriety before making payment. Maintained an organized filing system for copies of all deposits, and electronic transactions. Served as a trusted liaison to transmit guidance regarding accounts between our Central Plains consolidated account center and all other consolidated account centers. Technical proficiencies in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), VISTA, and SharePoint.
Giving back to our Veterans
Project Manager / HR Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 10, 2015
Countless opportunities are available for someone willing to relocate. VA is a large organization that provides security and stability to its employees.
Good Work Experience
General Clerk I (Current Employee), Newnan, GAMarch 9, 2015
I work for a company called HOV Services. They are an outsourcing company for the Department of Veteran Affairs. The work is pretty simple but the job is very unstable. Layoffs are performed quite often and they are constantly running out of work. The facility is not all that great, it is not the cleanest environment. The management at HOV Services definitely needs some improvement but I love the job and the shift I am working overall.
The temporary term appointment was not long enough to complete my mission of fiinding employment for all homeless veterans.
Vocational Rehab/Employment Specialistt (Former Employee), Montrose, NYMarch 7, 2015
Department Of Veterans Affairs is an excellent organization to work for aiding our country's Heroes. A typical day at work would find myself in the community developing job leads, meeting with human resource officials and other hiring authorities, also attending job fairs, counseling and preparing veterans for job interviews, resume writing, and driving veterans to and from job leads and interviews.
Volunteer MyHealtheVet
Volunteer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 4, 2015
As a volunteer was treated well. However, they are bound by rules as far as travel reimbursement. Pay is $5 for lunch if you work 4 or more hours.
Contract Specialist for Federal leased space
Contract Specialist - Commercial Space Leasing (Former Employee), Brockton, MAMarch 3, 2015
Reviewed requirements from Agency to secure acquisition leasehold space.
Communicated with multiple departments, property managers, commercial real estate brokers, internal departments to ensure cradle to grave completed leased procurements.
Contractor at VA
Project Manager, Project Management Office (PMO) (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2015
I am a contractor at VA so can't comment about VA. I had a good experience working with VA people. Our team was awesome and we delivered all product ontime.
Professional Environment with a noble mission.
Health Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Austin TexasMarch 2, 2015
It is an organization with one of the most noble missions on the planet. Individuals can acquire knowlege on many different areas within healthcare, which is attributable to the vast opportunities that VA has to offer staff.
Promotion potential
Supervisor (Current Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 1, 2015
Pros: some people are recognized (mostly those in the medical field)
Cons: not everyone is recognized fairly (a lot of employees win awards and you never hear about it)
I enjoy working for the VA, except there are those that excel, who are given so much more responsibility, without compensation, that the work becomes overwhelming.

There are times when I have to come in outside of my tour and work, just to stay on top of the work given to me. Its draining, but I love working for the agency. I hate that one day I may have to leave the Agency in order to make more money.

There are grades where you find there is nowhere for you to go, but out. It's like you are stuck in quick sand.

The hardest part of working at the VA is you see those who are getting away with gaming the system, just to collect a check, and they are rewarded just as those who break there backs in giving 200%.

Its also depressing to see you can not get help from HR staff because they are overworked and overwhelmed. There is no where for employees who are not covered by the Union to go for assistance.

Its depressing.
Serving those that Served
Telemetry Technician (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 1, 2015
Just as the title says, I enjoy the fact that I have the opportunity to serve those that serve and have sacrificed for our country.
explore and learn new technology
IT Specialist (Systems Administrator) (Current Employee), Fort. Mcphearson, Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: learn and grow
Cons: family hardship
place to explore and learn new technology. learned server management technique. great management team and co-worker. multiple deployment and hardship. go around the world and have fun.
I love my job!
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Wyoming, MIFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: always a laugh, creativeness
Cons: sometimes demanding
I love working at the VA. Our patients are the best there is. Not a day goes by that I dont laugh and meet someone new. A typical day is met with extreme diversity; NO day at the VA is ever the same old same old....Its "like a box of chocolates; 'never know what yr gonna git " (Forest Gump) Stop by the Blue team and say "hello" :D
Lots of Opportunities to Solve Problems
Health Systems Specialist Intern (Former Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 27, 2015
My career at the Department of Veterans Affairs began during the heavy scrutiny of high patient wait times. This provided for a great career opportunity to be involved in solving big problems. There were countless opportunities to be involved in projects.
Life safety
Firefighter/Paramedic (Current Employee), Martinsburg, WVFebruary 26, 2015
Life safety career, good hours/shift work, good pay, management needs work on crew resourse management. I've learned not to take work home at the end of the day.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$38,403 per year
Attendant Counselor
$2,617 per month

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel