Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Every veteran had a story.ww11,Korea,Vietnam to the current.I enjoyed the conversations and gained so much knowledge of their lives and where i could
certified Peer Support Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2014
Pros: working in the mental health area was very rewarding
Cons: i would have liked to come in later and stay at work later to catch more working veterans
I enjoyed my time with the Dept of Veterans Affairs.The work started with talking to co-workers(most got to work early) and catching with each others previous day. I would check E-mails and prepared for the morning meeting where we would discuss individual veterans. The case management of veterans assigned to me was reviewed at the meeting and suggested – more... areas of concern were brought to my attention.I was blessed to have a good group of professionals to be able to work with. We tried to assist each other to make everything work smoothly for example making copies or ordering mass production of literature.This job was very enjoyable and the most enjoyable was seeing the change in the veterans as i spoke to them of recovery and hope. – less
see below
LPN (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 14, 2014
Pros: very good benefits, excellent working hours
Cons: none that i could think of
a typical day at the VA begins AT 8am with logging on to the computer. printing the schedules for the day, unlocking exam room doors and making sure the rooms are clean, stocked and clean paper on the exam tables.
calling patients, getting their vital signs if needed and putting the patient into the exam room as needed
I enjoy working with my co-workers – more... we are a team and work together
the hardest part to me is when we lose one of our veterans
the most enjoyable part to me is seeing the veteran who was so sick when i first met him and then seeing his progress – less
great place to work
Student Nurse Technician (SNT) (Former Employee), Mountain Home, TNJuly 12, 2014
I worked here from July 2009 to December of 2010 as a Student Nurse Tech. Best atmosphere and patient population. It was an honor working there
Worst place to work
RN terminated because I challenged their lie. (Former Employee), VANJHCSJuly 11, 2014
Cons: no time clock.managers favorites can come in any time they want without any consequences.
Very prejudiced place to work.Senior staff members think they own the place.They can make any lies to not to hire you or keep you.I am a victim.Because I challenged their lie.They made up more lies and fired me during probation.
Overall
Health Aid (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 11, 2014
I loved this job. Everything was great. The only reason I left was because it was co-op.
Fun work environment.
Urology Department Student Intern (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no pay
My internship consisted of shadowing surgeons during rounds and attending open surgeries.
Exciting workplace with excellence chance of promotion
Claims Assistant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: benefits, 401k
Cons: starting salary
Help veterans the best way possible.
I learned that patience is a very successful tool when dealing with clients and customers.
My co-workers were like family, most of us came from a military background.
The hardest part was not getting enough overtime.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment and benefit package.
Performace testing & capacity planning
Consultant (Former Employee), Washington , DCJuly 9, 2014
Complete performance testing life cycle - Work with product owner - scaling , Production support
Very good
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 9, 2014
Pros: continuing education, job security
Cons: less money than private sector
I really enjoyed the veteran population Esp. the WW1 and WW2 veterans. They had experiences they shared with me that told of unabided heroism and patriotism.
Government Agency with the potential for advancement
LPN (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJuly 9, 2014
I am an LPN that advanced to a position as an opthy tech through on the job training and i am now working on getting my certification as an ophthy technician.
great work
Rating Veteran Service Representative (Current Employee), MilwaukeeJuly 8, 2014
This is a great place to work, i am looking to adjunct in addition to this full time position.
Love my job. Nice people to work with.
Health Technician (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 7, 2014
My tour begins at 8am and ends at 430pm. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge since I became employeed at the VA. One thing that I have learned, is how to deal with difficult patients. The training that I have received in this area, has prepared me for many situations dealing with difficult patients as well as with difficult employees. Since – more... I work with head and neck cancer patients, the hardest part of my job is losing my patients. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people. I have cared for and worked with people from all over the world. – less
diverse group, fun, family, friends,self-motivated compassionare care,
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Durham, NCJuly 5, 2014
Pros: just saying thanks!
Cons: break being not on time, short of staff
I love giving back to those who gave their lifes, for us to have a better life.
If you make it past probation
Psychiatric LPN (Former Employee), Dayton, OhioJuly 1, 2014
Pros: caring for veterans
Cons: job security, management, salary
I loved my job and felt very good caring for fellow veterans. I liked some of my co-workers. My biggest complaint was the fact that I was terminated one month before my probationary period was up. I had always received "excellent" in my attendance and performance reviews but if management or coworkers don't like you (for whatever reason) then they simply – more... use you for 11 months then dump you. LPN's are treated like disposable chucks and the work environment is completely unfair. My manager and some co-workers were incredibly 2-faced and judgmental in regards to my personal and home life. The VA prides itself on being LBGT friendly (as long as they don't find out), however my manager was extremely homophobic. I have no evidence but coworkers advised me she characterized me and pried into my personal life. I would never recommend the Dayton VA Medical Center to a prospective employee. I wanted to work for the VA ever since my clinical in nursing school. I was fired this past April and not yet been able to secure another job. – less
Rewarding, Great Training, Challenging
Veterans Claims Examiner (GS-9) (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 30, 2014
Great place to work, very challenging, great training program and rewarding knowing Veterans are being helped in so many ways for the sacrifices they have made.
LPN (Former Employee), Fayetteville, ARJune 28, 2014
Pros: hours, weekends-holiday's off, excellent pay
This was one of the most rewarding careers I had. Due to unforseen circumstances I had to move, but the people, the patients, the pay, the hours, all were great, would love to go back.
great place to work if your lazy, as you can see reading in the paper
Medical/Program Support Assistant/Scheduler (Former Employee), Denver, COJune 28, 2014
had a supervisor who didn;t know what she was doing as in many of the departments.
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Northport, NYJune 26, 2014
Great benefits
Decent place for veterans to work.
Job security
caring for patients
certified nurse assitant (Former Employee), Lawton, OKJune 26, 2014
●I worked with Dialysis patients
●I worked Rehabilitation
●I assisted in Wound Care
●I placed and read electrocardiogram monitors
Nice Area to come in to
Programmer (Former Employee), Newark, NJJune 25, 2014
Pros: doing work for the next day
Cons: no lunch rooms in the building
While working with the veteran affairs I would work on veterans folders, learn how to be people oriented, Management would help when every I needed them, or the co workers would work individual. The hard part was not wanting to leave such a good group people after the day.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos