Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,420 reviews matching the search
Great team to work with
Test Lead (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJanuary 31, 2017
Good potential for growth and a great learning experience. Team is very supportive and friendly. Challenges are faced with a positive approach and encouragement.
A job with a life purpose
Rating Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 29, 2017
The job I have is very mentally demanding having to maintain productivity and accuracy. The benefits are good, I receive 8 hours of annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave every two weeks. The pay is amazing! And as a Combat Veteran, it is a great feeling to work the claims for other Comat Veterans.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
limited promotion potential
Depressing environment due to pathology management
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 28, 2017
Most people in the pathology department are determined to stab someone in the back. If you decide to work at the Ann Arbor VA, be careful not to share personal information or opinions. Training is a joke. They are more focused on the numbers reported to Washington. Management sees everyone as a means to an end and nothing more. Also they don't tell you before you take the job that you have to park off site and take a shuttle to work.
Benefits
Cons
Management, shuttle, training, lack of morale
enjoy job learning everyday
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 27, 2017
adl care, ekg , bladder scan , enjoy working with your team and the resident ,very out going places to work for learning everyday something new
Work Study
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 26, 2017
Perfomed task that included to be trained as a councilor for the VA. This was a wide variety that changed on a daily basis.
Laid back and fun people
Registered lab animal tech (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 25, 2017
I can honestly say I enjoy my job. My job is an 8 hour day that is ever changing. I have learned a lot about how to handle difficult people and sometimes you just cant please them all no matter how hard you try. But you cant stop. I enjoy meeting people from all cultures and backgrounds. I enjoy helping them when I can.
Pros
meeting new people everyday
Cons
none so far
Very strict workplace but worth it pay is great and benefits are am
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 25, 2017
As I worked there I learned a lot not only was my job strictly a shipper/packer, but I learned how to fill and label prescriptions as well. This job does help me move forward In the future and I am glad to have worked there.
VA Housekeeping Aid
Housekeeping Aid (Current Employee) –  Mather, CAJanuary 22, 2017
This is a great first position for Veterans who are looking to get into the Federal job system after serving. You can buy back your military service time toward a federal retirement.
Pros
Great entry job. You can buy back your military service time toward retirement.
Cons
Currently all promotional opportunities have been frozen with no clearance date noted.
va hospital
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 21, 2017
typical day good
learned a lot
management good
culture good
hardest part none
enjoyable all
great place to work all good things to say
Pros
all
Cons
non e
Caring and helping others
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 20, 2017
Dept of Veterans Affairs is a great place to learn about the retired military life. Vets from all over the country visit us and we are honored to serve those who have served us. We often have visitors who bring music, bands, choirs, motorcycle clubs, arts & crafts and smiling faces. The vets love the attention. The activities help them to feel comfortable and at home.
Pros
Different cultures to learn from
Cons
On call during holidays
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 19, 2017
I hear horror stories about the VA and my experience is completely different. I have great co-workers and supervisors. Cannot say enough great things!
Easy RN Job
RN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 19, 2017
Easiest RN job I have had within an emergency setting. Pay is better at the bedside than most private hospitals.
Charting system is archaic and most management is irresponsible which is displayed through staff behavior.
A lot of older nurses who cannot adapt to change which is disappointing.
Pros
Bedside RN pay, Benefits
Cons
management
Informative
RN/UR NURSE/CASE MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILJanuary 18, 2017
Enjoyed working for veterans and providing great care. My job has taught me a lot about computerized Charting, computerized med pass and clerical nursing.
Pros
5 weeks of vacation a year
Cons
It was a file clerk job not much excitement but it was downtown Atlanta
File clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2017
It was an OK job while I was finishing my High School Diploma at Booker T Washington and art school.
I liked the experience working with and helping veterans that deserved more than they got at the time.
Pros
Working for Veterans
Cons
Redundant work
Place for learning and growth
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day at the VA consisted of drawing blood, patient care, admissions, making phone calls, ekgs and helping with patient needs to mention a few. I have learned so much at the VA and had great coworkers that displayed awesome team work. Hardest part of the job is not being able to completely help a VET with their specific need.
Pros
Being able to get to know my patients
Cons
Very slow with promotions
An okay evironment
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 18, 2017
Work hard, do a jobs that take more than one person on just one person, but this is just in the vcs department in the cafeteria. The management could be better
Productive and challenging but fun place to work
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day at work is normally busy but the day goes by fast. There is never a dull moment there, each day there will be a different situation. You are not micro-managed as long as your doing your job. You meet a variety of different people mostly veterans like your self. The hardest part sometimes is not being able to get the patient in for an appointment the exact date they request. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people of different backgrounds and era's of life who have also served their country and them sharing their stories.
Pros
You don't have to clock in for work, making it to work is based on honesty
Cons
mandatory overtime sometimes, not often but possible
Good Work
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 17, 2017
Management is lacking a bit. It would be better if you could access a person on a one on one basis that does not have an extended work load. They do not have enough coordinators for the employees.
Pros
Pay
Dsyfunctional Agency
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, GAJanuary 17, 2017
Co-workers tend to bicker like small children. The Agency is unorganized and is facing major restructuring by an oversight committee. The jobs themselves aren't hard.
Not Interested
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2017
The hardest part of this job was not knowing what you would be doing from day to day. You were given a task, and quickly it is taken away before start
Pros
Good money
Cons
Horrible customer service

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location