Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Learned to do your job and go home
Patient Service Assistant (Former Employee), Decatur, GAMay 26, 2014
Pros: benefits and job rewarding.
Cons: promotional opportunities
Great benefits and a great place too work. One drawback is too many employees are in a managerial position have NEVER served in the military therefore do not fully understand the needs and problems of veterans.
VA facility focusing on indpendence in ADLs
Level I Fieldwork (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAMay 25, 2014
Great working environment, Vet's are priority and are issued lots of adaptive equipment at no cost if necessary.
An excellent program
Veteran Vocation Rehabilitation Participant (Former Employee), Savannah, GAMay 23, 2014
The Voc-rehab. program allowed me to obtain a BS degree and transition to a civilian education and occupation.
Rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Missoula, MTMay 22, 2014
Pros: working with veterans
Cons: only was able to work there through my time in school
I work as an administrative assistant to the vocational rehabilitation office in Missoula Montana. Typical work day was very relaxed, easy going, and high paced at the same time. My work consisted of file receiving and transfers, working with veterans to help them get benefits, mail processing, anything that my vocational rehab counselors needed besides – more... my basic duties. – less
Wonderful colleagues
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Bay Pines, FLMay 22, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: the management, up to the director.
Management was awful, never listening to the "underlings", bullied and harassed employees, forced them into positions that made us, the nurses disregard any type of patient privacy , despite many complaints of the nursing team they blatantly violated the HIPPA act, knowingly. Secretly taped phone conversations to the patient, without prior notification – more... which is a required law in Florida according to FCC in the US.
Employees that are able are fleeing from this very hostile & toxic workplace. – less
Education help offered
Certified Nursing Assistant/BHT (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMay 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: you get pulled for
It gears up quickly and is at full speed, I have learned how to be flexible to be pulled in several different directions and priortize for deadlines. Team work environment, co-workers help out. Most difficult part of the job is working with the inmate facilities and meeting my deadlines by Regional Office.
The most enjoyable part of my job is continuous – more... change. – less
For me cleaning is one job i enjoy.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Northampton, MAMay 21, 2014
Pros: co-workers / pay
Cons: snow shoveling
All work days was enjoyable work and co-workers, worked as a team on projects hardest part of job for me was stripping and waxing floors. BUT I WAS THE BEST !!!
Interesting
QA Analyst/ Performance Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAMay 20, 2014
mainly testing and trying to make the testing practices better
A great place to work
TWE/Housekeeping Aid (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2014
Pros: very, very helpfull and informative.
Cons: a little restrective for adults.
The Veterans Administration has been very helpful to me. I recommend every veteran no matter what issues or age to find out what they can do for you.
Best Job Ever
SAH Agent/Senior Appraiser (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 16, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: government red tape
Most rewarding thing you can do is to help veterans.
Was able to do field work
Very fulfilling and satisfying job
Meet a lot of interesting people
Enrollment of new Patients
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee), East Orange, NJMay 16, 2014
I like the day to to contact with the Veterans the were kind an was looking for help with their enrollment
Good opportunity for those passionate about Veterans.
Resident Chaplain (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for Veterans, staff, and their families. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a political management team that manages by crisis.
Horrible work enviroment
GS-07 Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Decatur, GAMay 13, 2014
Pros: government
Cons: horrible work conditions
I can't begin to describe how horrible this job is. The work is never ending, there is horrible supervision. The pay is horrible and it is extremely hard to move up.
Self- Satisfying.
Facilitator (Current Employee), Stephenville, TXMay 13, 2014
Pros: good work/ life balance
Cons: none.
Though work is not as steady as I would like, there is no greater self reward than helping my fellow Veterans with needs from different organizations.
Highly structured environment , well manged, task orientated
Veterans Claims Examiner (Former Employee), 1700 Clairmont Rd, decatur GA 30033May 12, 2014
Pros: each day you gained more experience on how to better serve veterans
Cons: rejecting a veteran whom is ineligible for education benefits
A typical work day started a 7:00 am, going through your que and start processing education claims for veterans and there families. around 9:00 am check e-mails, send mail outs, and training required. Depending on the amount this could last until 11:00 -11: 30 am. Lunch until noon, resume processing claims until 2:00 pm. Contact veterans via phone lines – more... until 3:00 pm and finally review supervisor memos, or new assignments.

I learned everyone has to contribute in order for the team to be successful .co workers were comprised of mostly former military veterans with non military personnel. Very well mannered and extremely dedicated to serving veterans. The hardest part of the job was sitting behind that computer for long periods, being that my prior jobs dealt with face to face interaction with the customer. The most rewarding part of the job was know you and your team were helping veterans and there families. – less
Rewarding and fun environment!
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMay 8, 2014
Pros: assisting veterans
Cons: no promotion potential
Great place to feel like you are appreciated. The hours are great, but the salary is lacking.
OUTDOOR ENVIRONMENT
LAWN CARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Biloxi, MSMay 8, 2014
MINIMAL SUPERVISION, STEADY WORKLOAD, AND ENJOYABLE ATMOSPHERE.
Very office friendly
Secretary (Former Employee), Leesport, PAMay 6, 2014
The staff were helpful and made sure that I understood what was going on and how to do it.
Productive and fun workplace
Medical Instrument Technician (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 5, 2014
Pros: great people to work with, and wonderful veterans
Cons: cafeteria food
Every day is different but enjoyable. The doctors and nurses are united in providing the proper car for our veterans. We work together and are always on the same page. We respect each other and our ideas. The veterans are thought of first and in any procedure being done and we always explain the procedure fully so they understand. A typical day is always – more... differend because we do different procedures each day at different times. But as a unit we work well and help each other. The hardest part of the job is when we have to overbook a procedure and make sure that the coverage will give us the extra hand to complete out task. I enjoy every aspect of my job. Working with experienced doctors and nurses and being able to help our veterans is most enjoyable. – less
It's a good place for unemployed Veterans to get job training.
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAMay 5, 2014
Pros: on the job training
Cons: the low pay
Being an Air Force Veteran, I have been going there for medical treatment since 1981 and it's about the best hospital for the money around since Veterans get services free. A typical day at work consisted of stocking shelves with medical equipment and transporting it to the various clinics in the hospital. The management was o.k. since there was almost – more... no stress or pressure since it was a training program. The hardest part of the job was remembering where each piece of equipment went on the shelves in order to keep the time down in stocking the shelves but I got used to it over time. The most enjoyable part of the job was in working with the mentally disabled students that worked there for 4 hours a day to get a free lunch; it was fun helping them to do better in life and to understand life better. – less

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos