Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Productive, secure and result oriented
MANAGEMENT AND PROGRAM ANALYST (Current Employee), L'Enfant Plaza East, Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Telework and Flex Time
Cons: Long Hours
Very productive and informative; result oriented envirnoment, inform management as needed; work very well with co-workers and supervisor.
Dedicated staff with a lot of activities for the veterans to do. The staff appreciates all the extra help they get .
Day Program Volunteer Aide (Former Employee), North Hills, CAMarch 29, 2015
A necessary and good organization that is there for our veterans. The veterans are respectful of each other regardless of which conflict they were involved with and it was gratifying to work with them.
Excellent place to work!
Health Technician (Nursing) (Current Employee), Biloxi, MSMarch 28, 2015
Positive atmosphere and impressive benefits! The position has great flexibility with school related functions. The environment allows for working on assignments while inactive at work! Overall excellent place to work!
Complete satisfaction
LPN (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 28, 2015
Taking care of our Veterans was such a gratifying experience. I was honored to have been a part in their care.

The medical team that I was privileged to work with was completely patient Veteran committed to the highest quality of care to each and every one of our Veterans.
Excellent place to work
General Clerical III/ Administrative (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMarch 26, 2015
Pros: My co-workers in contracting
Cons: N/A
The Department of Veterans Affairs is an excellent place to work with a lot of really great employees. It is like one big family. I loved it!
Good work place.
Police Sergeant (Current Employee), Loma Linda, CAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good salary
Cons: not enough overtime.
I enjoyed working for the Department of Veterans Affairs. The pay and benefits are good. The management is excellant. I enjoyed the training and experience.
DO NOT APPLY FOR HOUSEKEEPING AT THE DURHAM VA MEDICAL CENTER
HOUSEKEEPING AID (Former Employee), DURHAM, NCMarch 22, 2015
I worked at the Durham VA Medical Center in Durham, NC as a Housekeeping Aid. The supervisors abuse their authority, lack concern for employees & need to be replaced. My blood pressure was sky high working there. I can't speak for other facilities, but the Durham VA Medical Center is very corrupt. WORST FACILITY EVER!!!
uncertain of settings or region
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 22, 2015
Pros: no office politic involvement
Cons: social life lacking
Put up in nice apartment in which bills paid for. During assignments the organization sent care packages, There are bonuses for completion of assignments.
Very Structured Workplace
Research Support Assistant (Former Employee), Temple, TXMarch 21, 2015
Pros: advancement and overtime is very good
Cons: on production
Not for creative out going people. Typical day at desk all day. Lots of micro-managing production work. Hardest part production work, management is very strict. The most enjoyable part was the people I worked with.
Enjoyable and rewarding
Tele-Health Clinical Technician (TCT) GS (Former Employee), Wappingers Falls, NYMarch 20, 2015
Pros: job security
I enjoyed working to the Department of Veterans Affairs, It was a rewarding job working with those who have put their life on the line for our freedom and safety.
Great Management interaction and involvement with lower level staff.
Information Ambassador (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great staff, construction projects to improve the medical center
Cons: slow advancement, too much politics
In a typical day at work, I would encounter 50+ veterans. I would be responsible for escorting at least 5 patients somewhere they were needing to go with in the medical center. I learned how to interact and be present with people when they needed help. My co-workers were great to work with, at the end of my work there I felt like I had a new family to lean on. My management was the best I've ever had before, it felt like they really cared about my life and what I was going through. They made extra effort to accommodate any time off I needed for medical, family, or any personal reasons. The hardest part of my job was trying to help the veterans who were in crisis. I loved being able to just be with them and calm their worries, or even just to distract them from whatever might be going on in their minds. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around my veteran family. It's really a great feeling to be able to help those who served their country before or even at the same time as you did. It's a bonding cause, and it really made me care even more about them as patients.
Productive Work Place
Class B CDL Driver (Former Employee), Montrose, NYMarch 19, 2015
The Enjoyable Part Of The Job My Associations With The Patients.
There Was Nothing Hard About Any Job I've Worked for I'm Up For Any Challenge That Will Help Me Get Back Into The Work Force.
productive and classified work place
Processing Specialist (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2015
Process veterans claims
reduce paper work by conversion
collaborate to formulate exquisite files for veterans
Enjoyable experience helping veterans get benefits
customer care is imperitive
Working with the Federal Government is an enjoyable career.
In my previous job as Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 16, 2015
Pros: good health benefits, retirement benefits.
Cons: hard to get a promotion.
A day at work is not complicated, went in and started the day with co-workers at our desks. To me the hardest part of the job was, stocking the areas of office supplies for all employees use. I enjoyed working at the office, it was a very enjoyable workplace, close to public transportation, restaurants.
Enriching job experience working with Veteran clients in a military subculture
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2015
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: minimal compensation
* Direct callers to site or provide basic information of provided resources
* Military Veterans received specialized assistance through resources provided through DVA
* Management was qualified and trained to respond to Veteran needs or crisis
* Part-time position was temporary to permit other Veteran candidates the opportunity to assist through DVA
* Social networks were developed and created long term contacts
Easy place, just annoying.
IT Support (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 16, 2015
Pros: easy calls, easy lifestyle
Cons: micromanagement, covering for the lazy workers, must find a replacement for yourself when going on vacation, no training whatsoever.
Easiest job I've ever had, IT support for nurses and doctors and other people who worked for the VA.

Ticket creation, password resets, and barely any troubleshooting.
Excellent mission to help Veterans with their healthcare needs.
Assistant Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 15, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Excellent mission to help Veterans with their healthcare needs. Good advancement opportunities nationally at many medical centers.
Diverse place to work
Executive Assistant to the Director (Former Employee), 345 Perry Hill Rd Montgomery, AL 36109March 13, 2015
I enjoyed working for the department of Veterans Affairs I learned a lot of skills and I enjoyed working for the veterans.
VA Hospital Portland Oregon
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great work atmosphere
Cons: customer service not good. understaffed at times.
Great work atmosphere. Management good and in touch with employees. Opportunities to move up in pay scale. Would definitely work for them again if given the chance.
Productive Staff and nice environment
Cashier /GS (Former Employee), Leavenworth, KSMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great work times, breaks, and friendly staff
Cons: slow advancement
Performed work in support of the agency's cash processing operations, which involved the receipt, disbursement, examination, deposit, custody and other clerical or administrative tasks. Received and dispersed cash in accordance with the corresponding laws, rules and regulations for the particular transaction. Ensured the fulfillment of regulatory requirements associated with depository functions. Exercised responsibility for the direct support of agency cash, check, and electronic funds transfer processing functions involving the receipt, disbursement, examination, deposit, custody and other processing of cash. Utilized automated systems to record transactions. Processed cash-link deposits and e-payments in a timely manner. Examined and performed quality audits of deposits in order to ensure regulatory issues were met. Reconciled cash accountability and reviewed vouchers for completeness, accuracy, and propriety before making payment. Maintained an organized filing system for copies of all deposits, and electronic transactions. Served as a trusted liaison to transmit guidance regarding accounts between our Central Plains consolidated account center and all other consolidated account centers. Technical proficiencies in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), VISTA, and SharePoint.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$2,594 per month
Medical Support Assistant
$38,787 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel