Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs United States Employee Reviews

Professional Environment with a noble mission.
Health Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Austin TexasMarch 2, 2015
It is an organization with one of the most noble missions on the planet. Individuals can acquire knowlege on many different areas within healthcare, which is attributable to the vast opportunities that VA has to offer staff.
Promotion potential
Supervisor (Current Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 1, 2015
Pros: some people are recognized (mostly those in the medical field)
Cons: not everyone is recognized fairly (a lot of employees win awards and you never hear about it)
I enjoy working for the VA, except there are those that excel, who are given so much more responsibility, without compensation, that the work becomes overwhelming.

There are times when I have to come in outside of my tour and work, just to stay on top of the work given to me. Its draining, but I love working for the agency. I hate that one day I may have to leave the Agency in order to make more money.

There are grades where you find there is nowhere for you to go, but out. It's like you are stuck in quick sand.

The hardest part of working at the VA is you see those who are getting away with gaming the system, just to collect a check, and they are rewarded just as those who break there backs in giving 200%.

Its also depressing to see you can not get help from HR staff because they are overworked and overwhelmed. There is no where for employees who are not covered by the Union to go for assistance.

Its depressing.
Serving those that Served
Telemetry Technician (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 1, 2015
Just as the title says, I enjoy the fact that I have the opportunity to serve those that serve and have sacrificed for our country.
explore and learn new technology
IT Specialist (Systems Administrator) (Current Employee), Fort. Mcphearson, Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: learn and grow
Cons: family hardship
place to explore and learn new technology. learned server management technique. great management team and co-worker. multiple deployment and hardship. go around the world and have fun.
I love my job!
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Wyoming, MIFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: always a laugh, creativeness
Cons: sometimes demanding
I love working at the VA. Our patients are the best there is. Not a day goes by that I dont laugh and meet someone new. A typical day is met with extreme diversity; NO day at the VA is ever the same old same old....Its "like a box of chocolates; 'never know what yr gonna git " (Forest Gump) Stop by the Blue team and say "hello" :D
Lots of Opportunities to Solve Problems
Health Systems Specialist Intern (Former Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 27, 2015
My career at the Department of Veterans Affairs began during the heavy scrutiny of high patient wait times. This provided for a great career opportunity to be involved in solving big problems. There were countless opportunities to be involved in projects.
Life safety
Firefighter/Paramedic (Current Employee), Martinsburg, WVFebruary 26, 2015
Life safety career, good hours/shift work, good pay, management needs work on crew resourse management. I've learned not to take work home at the end of the day.
Worth the commitment
Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2015
An organization in continuous transition, but has made tremendous strides. Everyday the work-life balance is good. A commitment to the organization is rewarding and contributes to the care of my fellow Veterans.
High Pressure, Low Performance
Supply Chain Program Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: learn a lot
Cons: difficult to manage personal time
The Dept of VA has a very reactive culture, especially in headquarters. It is hard to make changes. The environment is fast-paced, but often requires a lot of travel.
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: harris contractor overseeing wireless project
Cons: harris contractor overseeing wireless project
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project.

Contractor in charge of supervising sub contractors while installing Wireless AP' through VA Medical Center
Great benefits
PROGRAM SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: job security and good benefits
Cons: pay is not competitive
As most federal government jobs (in my opinion), the work I did wasn't all that exciting and the project advanced slowly. I however enjoyed the flexibility of working alternative hours as well the benefits they offer. Pay is not all that competitive
Challening and meaningful work
Attorney and Asst. Regional Counsel Region 6 (Former Employee), Decatur, GAFebruary 24, 2015
I provided legal guidance to the medical centers executives in Florida, the Virgin Island, and Puerto Rico. I was responsible for overseeing the daily operations of seven outstation offices and the core office in St. Petersburg, Florida. Additionally, I supervised 26 employees comprised of attorneys, paralegal, and legal assistant.
Comfortable place to work with the right contract.
Senior Instructional Systems Designer (Current Employee), Frederick, MDFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: comfortable work environment
Cons: bad benefits, no snow days
This is a comfortable workplace, but lacks in employee benefits. The hardest part of the job are aggressive deadlines. New management is trying to make a mark and bring in new people.
Good Place to work!!!
Certified Nurses Assistant (Current Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Wonderful easy going employer. Helpful staff always to able to find what you need.Nurses are efficent and clean,caring.
Detailed job experience
CAREGIVER (Current Employee), Orlando FLFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: fellowship
Cons: unpaid
I am given an amazing opportunity to learn hands on and work my degree, giving me the experience necessary to become a successful and productive member of society. Hardest part of the job is that this position is unpaid the most fulfilling is assisting clients in obtaining their goals.
Caregiver, VA (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 20, 2015
A typical day, I change catheter tubing dressings, change catheter every 2 weeks, and assist in bowel program. The most enjoyable part is that I can do it from home. I have learned that it is a lot of work to care for a loved on that needs attention 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.
Productive Workplace
Senior Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: job security
Provide Clinical Social Work Services to veterans and returning services members daily.

Case load various according to specialty areas.
True dedication to serving Veterans
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: healthy food available at a reasonable cost.
Cons: parking
A 24/7 teaching facility with excellent care for the Veterans. Management is dedicated to expanding the access to all.
No room for growth and promotion!
Program Support Clerk (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: it a little bit lay-back than private companies.
Cons: many lazy staff, and no room for growth!
The Department of Veterans Affairs is not a good place for growth. Promotions are also by "who you know" system, and seniority! They do not care if you have the potential or skills to benefit the agency. I am so disappointed. About to find my bearing and move up the ladder.
Leadership needs an overhaul;
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: comrodery with fellow veterans
Cons: nonveteran supervisors
Discrimination runs rampant in the supervisor roles. If no t a Veteran, how can you know what we went through? d and won. But, blacknballed at the VA

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$38,491 per year
Attendant Counselor
$2,619 per month

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel