Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,131 reviews matching the search
Benefits are great
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 7, 2016
I work there for a little over a year and a half and I loved it. Compared to my fast paced retail pharmacy job, this job was a piece of cake.
Pros
they make sure you have your lunch break and always leave on time
Cons
people that don't want to do more than expected
Veterans are not the top Priority
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 7, 2016
Love serving the vets. The work is not hard. The environment is good for balancing home/work. Not the greatest support from management.
Cons
Upper level management does not ensure that Vets are the top priority
High turnover
Case manager for homeless veterans (Current Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 7, 2016
It is a great job, but there is high turnover. You will make more money as a social worker there than virtually anywhere else as a social worker.
Pros
Good benefits
Productive work enviornment
MEDICAL INPATIENT SOCIAL WORKER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2016
The VA gives a lot of opportunity for job development through various trainings. I worked with a great team who assist readily available to assist when needed.
Great work and learning environment.
Chaplain Resident (CPE Training) (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 6, 2016
Great work and learning environment in which there were unlimited opportunities for personal and professional development. Wonderful benefit plan options.
The most enjoyable part of the job was treating our well deserving veterans.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJune 5, 2016
Rewarding experience after working in corrections for many years. I was given the opportunity to hone my clinical skills successfully after having been away from the inpatient setting. Worked on a dynamic medical-surgical/telemetry unit for several years.
Professional environment with promotion oppurtunities
EEO Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
This job was a great place to work. The position brought out the best in my skills and challenged me to be a leader. I was able to learn a lot about being a program assistant and gave me an opportunity to move up.
Excellent job experience and benefits
Registered Nurse Grade 2 (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRJune 4, 2016
Excellent resources and most up to date available equipment and technology to provide care to patients. Opportunity to apply to different job positions. Great co workers and good communication between all employees. Opportunity to grow as a professional. 8 to 10 patients assigned per nurse to provide care per shift. Rotative shifts. High quality of care provided to veterans and war heroes.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 3, 2016
Show up at the hospital, help Veterans and feel good about yourself at the end of the day with satisfied veterans happy you assisted them.
Pros
The best place to work
Cons
It can be very rewarding to help others
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 2, 2016
start at 8am I try to learn something new every day.

the co-workers are helpful. The hardest part of my day is when I

can't get a verteran on the phone. The most enjoyable part of my job

is when I can help the veterans.
Incredible
Social Work Trainee 1st Level (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 2, 2016
The people I worked with were/are great. Veteran focused and willing to go above and beyond to provide the best care for our Veterans.
Pros
Dedicated staff
Cons
N/A
Great co-workers; patients are generally very satisfied & appreciative; work load & stresses vary day to day but are manageable.
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Viera, FLJune 2, 2016
Supportive relationships with coworkers. Patient's present challenges such as multiple medical as well as psychological comorbid conditions. Often, paces hectic but varies. Patients are generally quite satisfied and appreciative of the care they receive. People both coworkers the patient's are this agency's most important asset.
Department of Veterans @ Northport VA is a good place to work
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Northport, NYJune 2, 2016
I learned a lot at the VA such as Sterilizing and I learned the names and usage of all of the surgical instruments.
Co-workers are great!
loved working there
Senior Physician asistant (Former Employee) –  East Orange, NJMay 31, 2016
Busy 10 hour day wth multiple responsibilites.I loved all the staff they ere friendly and helpful.The nursing staff was great I loved taking care of the people who served our country
Pros
great place to work
Cons
compensation
Interesting and eye opening
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2016
During my volunteer time I got to experience what a social worker does and see the type of help they do. I helped in the social worker in preparing for their yearly outreach event. I found great joy in helping the social worker with the mini task that lead to her helping the veterans who need the help. The hardest part was not being able to get that one-on-one interaction with the veteran and help them myself. Being a veteran I felt obligated to help my brother and sister in arms but I had to hold back and let the social worker do it. However it was enjoyable to see the happiness on the veterans face with I talked to them outside the clinic and see how they were being helped. I learned that sometimes the little paperwork portion does help more than being that person working with the veteran. Overall very enjoyable time that showed me what social workers do, behind the client.
Typical Government Agency
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVMay 30, 2016
A typical day working at the VA Southern Nevada Healthcare System is,dealing with under staffing,never having the correct resources, and no back up from supervisors to calm the frustrated veterans, all while still trying to do your job.
Hard-working employees but external bureacracy can be a bit much at times.
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2016
The VA consists of hard-working employees but external bureaucracy can be a bit much at times. But great place to work overall.
Busy
Veterans Claim Examiner (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 28, 2016
Continous workflow, team enviroment, constant change of policy and procedures. Satisfaction of taking care of fellow veterans is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Beware
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMay 27, 2016
Some long-time manager types posing as professionals are allowed to treat others with hostility and disrespect on a regular basis despite employees' ethical, excellent, productive work. Unbelievable the number of personality disorders on staff and lies perpetrated for no obvious purpose, other than to glean enjoyment out of being a horrid individual and getting away with it. Serving veterans becomes 3rd on the list of their priorities. It is a mystery how they keep their jobs, since all the other long-time employees talk about them being out if line. Very sad.
Pros
Vets served
Cons
Supervisors who regularly mistreat and malign co-workers with impunity
Productive educating environment gives a fullfilling feeling helping veterans
Work Study Assignment/EEO Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
Working at the Department of Veterans affairs was very rewarding experience. I was able to gain knowledge about employees policies and their rights and responsibilities. I had the privilege to sit in on training sessions and network with Supervisors and
of the Department of veterans affairs.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location