Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,427 reviews matching the search
It was a file clerk job not much excitement but it was downtown Atlanta
File clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2017
It was an OK job while I was finishing my High School Diploma at Booker T Washington and art school.
I liked the experience working with and helping veterans that deserved more than they got at the time.
Pros
Working for Veterans
Cons
Redundant work
Place for learning and growth
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day at the VA consisted of drawing blood, patient care, admissions, making phone calls, ekgs and helping with patient needs to mention a few. I have learned so much at the VA and had great coworkers that displayed awesome team work. Hardest part of the job is not being able to completely help a VET with their specific need.
Pros
Being able to get to know my patients
Cons
Very slow with promotions
An okay evironment
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 18, 2017
Work hard, do a jobs that take more than one person on just one person, but this is just in the vcs department in the cafeteria. The management could be better
Productive and challenging but fun place to work
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 18, 2017
A typical day at work is normally busy but the day goes by fast. There is never a dull moment there, each day there will be a different situation. You are not micro-managed as long as your doing your job. You meet a variety of different people mostly veterans like your self. The hardest part sometimes is not being able to get the patient in for an appointment the exact date they request. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people of different backgrounds and era's of life who have also served their country and them sharing their stories.
Pros
You don't have to clock in for work, making it to work is based on honesty
Cons
mandatory overtime sometimes, not often but possible
Good Work
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 17, 2017
Management is lacking a bit. It would be better if you could access a person on a one on one basis that does not have an extended work load. They do not have enough coordinators for the employees.
Pros
Pay
Dsyfunctional Agency
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, GAJanuary 17, 2017
Co-workers tend to bicker like small children. The Agency is unorganized and is facing major restructuring by an oversight committee. The jobs themselves aren't hard.
Not Interested
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2017
The hardest part of this job was not knowing what you would be doing from day to day. You were given a task, and quickly it is taken away before start
Pros
Good money
Cons
Horrible customer service
I have enjoyed my employement there.
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 15, 2017
Depending on the Department you work, you can have some fun times. Most co-workers polite and respectfully. The most enjoyable part of the job is when a Veteran is satisfied with the customer service received. The hardest part of the job is keeping complaints at the lowest possible level.
Working with Veterans is great, Management is not
Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  East Point, GAJanuary 14, 2017
If you are Caucasian in the Atlanta area, you will not see much progression on your role. For instance: I was told that I am not "Hood Enough" to get into a higher position here when I applied. For a Federal Job that tends to the needs of Veterans, they do not work very well with employees that go on Military Duties/Training.
Pros
Benefits, Workload is light
Cons
Progression
Challenging work environment
Medical Support Assistant (MSA) (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEJanuary 14, 2017
Disorganized, too many moving parts, no manager when started, and no training before dealing with Veterans. I learned that this is not the type of environment I would choose to work in, or continue working in. Gave them one year to fix things to at least a tolerable work environment, it did not happen and no one cared.
Good workplace.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoJanuary 13, 2017
Good workplace with good salary.sometimes stressfull.Got good experience working with critically ill pts .Gave us a lot of course to perform better at our duties among other things.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Stressfull
Productive and Fun work place with many benefits.
Program Specialist GS-09 Veterans Benefits (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 13, 2017
Worked at the VA Medical Center Augusta, Georgia in various positions for over fourteen years. Counseled Veterans and family members on benefits and VA services. Assisted veterans and family members with claims for disability compensation, Home loans, Burial benefits, Educational benefits, and Medical benefits.
Pros
Paid Sick and annual leave, annual bonus for outstanding performance.
Cons
Worked weekends and holidays to support National Guard and Reserve Troops.
meaningful work with tools to get the job done quick, union members are poor performers.
Healthcare Technology Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 12, 2017
Challenging work is rewarded by knowing fellow veterans get the care they deserve and their families have piece of mind knowing they are well taken care of. Almost all the time.
Many great people work here, though there are bad apples as every where else.
Pros
If Vet, see your doc where you work
Cons
too much job security for some, who take advantage and dont pull weight. plus I do not want Trump as my new boss.
productive workplace
Office management professional (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 12, 2017
A challenging and productive place to work. A good place to work that offered opportunities for advancement and professional development.
A good work enviroment
Health Technician Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH 44132January 12, 2017
A typical day for me at work involves being part of a team that collaborates to effectively provide the best patient care that we can for the veterans that we serve.

Working as a Health Technician requires the ability to multitask, and be in a continual state of learning, because healthcare is always evolving.

My co-workers bring various levels of experience to the job that allows me to benefit from them, and become more knowledgeable and better at what I do.

The hardest part of my job is when we are working with less than minimum personnel, but I have found that clear communication and defining our responsibilities within the team makes our day easier, because we have set our minds to provide the best customer service to our veterans in spite of staffing shortage.

I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of my day is talking to the veterans, and hearing of their experiences whether they are triumphs or tragedies, because it makes me proud to be able to serve the men and women who sacrificed their lives to defend our freedom.
Pros
Everyday is different
Cons
We often work short staffed
Rewarding job but...
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Employees do not receive the proper support from management and HR. Employees must deal with distorted department procedures and policy. It's a numbers game. Quantity is more important to management than quality of product and the Veteran is the one who suffers.
Pros
Co-workers, pay & benefits, commute.
Cons
Management, HR, in house cafe/snack bar, parking...
This facility is a vital part of our military.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJanuary 11, 2017
I have seen many veterans receive treatment that was unnoticed at other military medical centers. I would recommend this facility to any former service member.
Great learning experience and room for advancement
Social Worker/Case Manager - Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 10, 2017
The Department of Veteran Affairs is an awesome place to work. Employees are afforded the opportunity to advance, and work throughout the USA.
Pros
Potential to advance, and working on a unionized job!
Cons
Bureaucracy!
having good health and fun to go to a job is a good thing in life
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 10, 2017
Productive and fun workplace, always helping other veterans is a good day for me, having every day employment is a great thing to have, working with other veterans was like old times of being in the military brings back memories
Pros
having employment that you enjoy
Cons
short breaks but was alright with me
Draper's Review
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 10, 2017
My day started at 0830 a.m. where I would meet with supervisor, and take notes on the daily assignments. I learned a lot about being on time, finishing tasks in a timely manner, multi tasking, and being a team player. I worked pretty much by myself, so I didn't have entertain much with other employees unless it was about there time, which I was responsible for. The hardest part was trying to keep up with two supervisors daily meetings and finishing work in a timely manner, which it always got done. The enjoyable part was the end of the day so I can begin it all over again.
Pros
Everyday learning
Cons
Lines where to long for lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location