Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

The work environment is very focused and directed to achieving annual performance objectives.
ACQUISITION ANALYST (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Very little leave.
The job assignment at VA was very interesting and provided an opportunity for me to perform many varied types of assignments.
while in school
VA Work-Study (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 20, 2015
During my school year, it helped me pick my hours because of being a student. Learned alot about VA benefits. Helped grow other skills too.
Wonderful Patients, Wonderful Staff
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCJuly 19, 2015
Pros: Co-worker Friendly, Pay was adequate, good benefits, great patients and staff.
Cons: Not enough equipment/supplies at times during budget crunches.
I learned a lot about the hard work and sacrifice our soldiers have given this country. I, being a Viet Nam era veteran, learned to appreciate that kindness and sensitivity goes a long way in the Military Community.
My Coworkers were a part of OUR team. Friendly, always willing to loan a helping hand.
My managers were wonderful. They were mentors. I was always interested in learning my job to the best of my ability, and the managers always were willing to help me accomplish that goal.
The Most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the look on the faces of the guests/patients/staff when I would finish cleaning the rooms and bathrooms. I got many, many compliments of how "beautiful" the rooms looked when I was finished.
Challenging job
Budget Analyst, GS (Former Employee), Reno, NevadaJuly 18, 2015
Pros: bonus for hard workers willing to advance and learn
Cons: none
Customer Support, exceptional training advancement. Awarded for the hard work. Enjoy working with co-workers and customers.
VA blocking out hackers
Senior Security Analyst Tier 3 Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Ann Arbor, MIJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Great team work.
Cons: No direct or standard way of doing things.
You can learn a lot of new things in the realm of security. A lot of research goes into finding out about possible vulnerabilities and how to re-mediate the security problems
Interesting and valuable learning environment.
MRI Technologist (Current Employee), West Roxbury and Jamaica Plains, MAJuly 16, 2015
Pros: great staff, wonderful environment
Cons: long commute
Excellent patient care. Sincere and dedicated service to our veterans and their families with a remarkable ability to provide continuous advanced education to each and every member of the health care system.
Secure job
Anatomical Pathology Technicia (Current Employee), San FranciscoJuly 15, 2015
This is a very secure job but has a lot of politics involve when it comes to higher management. Expect a lot of let downs when it comes to working ethics. The only thing that's keeping me from working is the veterans, they need better quality care and I want to be a part of that.
Working temporary for the VA gave me experiences on the phone and dealing with day to day issues.
Telecommunications Operator (temp.) (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 14, 2015
Answer phones
How to have patience dealing with the public
Management was very approachable
co-workers were easy to get along with
No major issues to deal with
Co- workers made me feel welcomed
Great working in the Veterans Affairs, dedicated to serving our nation's Veterans.
Administrative Staff (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Serving other Veterans; flexibility in the work environment
As an Assistant Research Project Coordinator, I helped maintain and provide budget input for medical projects/grants, as well as process all necessary documentation necessary for medical research studies. As an internal administrative officer in charge of all administrative support for the Quality Improvement Resources Center, I oversaw all admin functions, including and not limited to the organization and coordination of all travels, reimbursements, security and accountability of office equipment, and work orders.

As a former military officer in charge of up to 180 soldiers and civilians, multi-tasking and accurate decision-making were very valuable, critical skills set. Again, in the civilian workforce, these skills came in very useful, but with a civilian sensibility, which to me was a very valuable gain. In the center, the team consisted of four other teammates, who were very knowledgeable in their chosen fields and made the working environment that much easier.

The hardest part of the job was that often times, my job required me to work with colleagues in other departments (i.e. travels section, finance section, IT solutions section, etc) who may take a bit longer to process paperwork in the bureaucracy that they were a part of, and which is outside of our immediate control. Also, due to this bureaucracy, there were situations where there was a lack of clear customer support processes, often times leading to wasted time and parallel effort to get one job done.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that 1) I was doing work directly related to supporting research that will help Veterans, knowing that, I as a Veteran, will also gain benefit from the center's research efforts in the long run; 2) as a professional, I am learning the complex process of medical research in the Veterans Affairs, getting me back in the professional working environment after five years of hiatus, involving professional clergy training and schooling.
Working for the VA
Police Officer (Current Employee), Hampton, VAJuly 12, 2015
It can be great in many aspects, but it can be very stressful at times as well due to management and policy issues. Rewarding assisting fellow veterans.
The most enjoyable job I ever had
Social Worker Associate (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 9, 2015
I really like working with Veterans,it gave me scene accomplishment.The fact that I myself am veteran and I could empathize with what they are experiencing.I had excellent co-workers.I learned patient and how actively listen.
Helping is great but you are limited by your enviroment
Supervisory Veterans Representative (GS-13) (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 8, 2015
I have daily been responsible for technical and administrative matters as the Coach Of the Regional Office Triage Team and Assistant Coach of the Public Contact Team. I have been responsible for 160,000 files at one of the largest Regional offices in VA. I have daily acted as the full coach of the Cleveland Regional Triage/IPC Team for 36 months. I have daily supervised twenty three employee and completed their time and attendance in reports. I was daily responsible for personnel administration and additional actions for 23 to 45 employees. I have three years working supervisory experience of the federal personnel system including classification, staffing, recruitment, performance evaluation, career development, labor relations, appeals, grievances, adverse actions, and employee rights and responsibilities
Great people but terrible leadership.
Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Job Security, Pension and 401k, and time off work.
Cons: Leadership, Training, and Competency.
I speak of the Department of Veterans of Affairs (VA) during these times, and one opinion will come to mind whether you have been treated, worked for, or worked with the VA, terrible leadership. People get promoted in the organization, in most instances, if you are willing to stay long enough, not based on one's competence or experience. The best employees leave the VA/Federal Government for the private sector while the worst employees stay 40 years. You can't fire low level employees nor can you fire the executives (Senior Executive Service). Working for the VA is similar to a welfare system for employees who don't want to be held responsible for their professional inadequacies in the private sector. In the VA, the bad employee just gets promoted so the supervisor doesn't have to be responsible for the same bad employee. Private sector, you're fired.
Typical Govie
IT Service Engineer (Current Employee), Frederick, MDJuly 8, 2015
Great place to work. Friendly co-workers. Staff is knowledgeable, Classrooms are very "techy". VMWare classrooms, my keyboard types letters to make words for sentences.
A very self satisfying work place
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Middleton, WIJuly 7, 2015
The Department of Veterans Affairs is a very stable place to work. I have enjoyed my time here and have been allotted the ability to learn new skills in every department I've worked in. Unfortunately promotion opportunities are few and far between.
good opportunities
Mental Health Counselor, Intern (Former Employee), Martinsburg, WVJuly 7, 2015
Pros: business hours, holidays off, supportive environment
Cons: difficult to obtain paid positions after completion of internship
I was completing my internship for Mental Health Counseling at the outpatient clinic. This is only a paid internship if you are working toward psychologist or psychiatrist. The hardest part of the job is learning the computer system to schedule appointments and entering session notes. The environment is friendly and supportive. The co-workers are very helpful to the others in the office. It is difficulty to obtain a paid position in this facility. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Working with veterans is my goal for the ultimate job.
Fabulous place to work
Primary Care Nurse Manager (Current Employee), Fayetteville, ARJuly 6, 2015
Dedicated to providing quality health care to Veterans. Promotes work "family", provides acknowledgement of job well done, and compensation is adequate. Management supports process improvements and working efficiently and effectively.
great for students
workstudy (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 2, 2015
Pros: schedule
Cons: Only paid every 50 hours
Worked as a work study while in college. They always gave me the appropriate time off for classes and other school functions.
Customer service for U.S. Veterans and their families
Mailroom and File Clerk (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIJuly 1, 2015
Pros: working with our nations veterans and their families
Cons: not having immediate supervision
The last 2 years were spent receiving medical records and claims, inputting them into the pay system, verifying them, and providing claim status to both vendors and veterans. 75% of the work was spent answering phone lines; emails; and status faxes. I learned that it is very hard for veteran's to get their outside medical bills paid. Management was not very supportive of our being behind in getting claims paid, and it was hard not having any bosses at our actual VA hospital, instead the management was all based in Denver, Co. and outside of their own people they didn't seem to care about the other VA's employees. Co workers were great, but 6 month's after the Central Business Office took over NonVACare 9 of 13 employees had to be replaced. Working for unconcerned management. Working with veterans and their families to ensure that the claims that were filed would get paid.
It's a job...
Support Assistant (Current Employee), AlabamaJuly 1, 2015
Not very flexible in schedule, work/life balance is non-existent. New employees are not made to feel very welcome, if you come from the "outside" its a hard transition.
Industry