Department of Veterans Affairs
1,019 reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

I am a very enthusiastic, easy going, a team worker with good spirit, dependable and reliable. I maintain a calm demeanor during stressful situations.
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Lake Nona, FLMay 13, 2015
Pros: some time ffamily patient bought foods for employees, when family patient seems how effor to doing care to their patient for gratitud to given foods.
Cons: I have 30 minuts of break and two times the 15 minut of beak this is for relax, because it's extremely hard work.
It's busy and hard work also stressful.

I learned many thing like catheterize ,scan bladder and finger stick.

I'm easy going to team work.

It's to patient behavior work,because same patient refused total care and I doing care to my patient ,for me I have a conversation nice and respectful to my patient and take my time to doing my job.

The most enjoyable was the patient and I we were dancing or listening the music,and I singing with my patient the all patient be happiest.
Very Stressful
Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee), PhiladephiaMay 13, 2015
Pros: Overtime
Cons: Mandatory Overtime, No unity, changes everyday
Love working and assisting Veterans but the culture of the work place is very stressful. Benefits are ok as well. Have great co-workers.
Respected for what I could do.
CAD Instructor (Former Employee), Bonham, TXMay 12, 2015
Pros: Steady set hours, no overtime. No deadline preassures. Helping Veterans.
Cons: The distance from my home and family.
I trained them in how to use the CAD software their contractors were using, I cleaned their computer equipment so it would last longer. I advised them on what other equipment would increase productivity.
I learned their computer software controlled the heating and cooking system for a 700 bed hospital and the company which sold the system to them was unresponsive when a critical issue occurred.
I learned how to hack into the control software and allow them to establish the desired temperature settings for the patients.
Management was helpful and provided the tools from training courses the employees had attended. With the notes from their training I was able to satisfy their needs. As a contractor, I really had no co-workers. The employees were my resource and my client.
It was difficult to grasp the concept of Spend the budget in order to get at least the same budget next year, I enjoyed the personalities of the other workers. They made my work, which they did not understand, an opportunity to enlighten them with computer concepts which were unaddressed in their previous training. The contractor which sold the control system to them had set up a single hard drive system while naming the single drive as drive number two. The most enjoyable part of the job was being with the people I was there to help.
The VA Medical Center is an enjoyable place to work
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist (Current Employee), Chillicothe, OHMay 12, 2015
Pros: Enjoy dealing with patients
Cons: Do not enjoy administration
Since employed at the VA Medical Center, Chillicothe, Ohio I started as a Clinical Pharmacist and eventually became the Clinical Pharmacy Coordinator. Recently I prepared a Business Plan to place a Clinical Pharmacy Specialist in our Hepatitis C Clinic. I have been working in this role for two months now because it was listed as a two month detail.

I have enjoyed working in this area, evaluating patient's lab values, starting treatment, and getting to tell patients that the virus has cleared their bodies. This has been the most enjoyable part of my job to date.
They did provide me with temp. work and income.
Biomedical Engineer assistant (Former Employee), Audie Murphy Hospital, Sajn Antonio, TXMay 12, 2015
They did provide work/income, but it was not employment. It was temporary work compensation. It was being a helper to an employed person.
Stay Away
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 12, 2015
Pros: Cannot be laid off
Cons: Corruption, lack of advancement, Cronyism, low pay, bad managment, disorganization etc.
Orlando is one of the worst managed VA facilities in the nation.

Recently there has been a flood of employees leaving. While it is better than no job, if you have opportunities elsewhere take them.

The VA is one of the lowest ranked of all the large federal departments to work for and for good reason. In Orlando, its who you know and who likes you versus what you know and how well you perform.

You have been warned.
Close knit company with a sense of family for approaching the tasks
Senior IT Project Manager (Current Employee), Bay Pines, FLMay 12, 2015
Pros: Free lunch; paid time off;
Cons: No benefits; presumes everyone is retired military and has same benefits
This work effort is ideal for the niche it occupies because it gives the perfect measure of creativity and motivation to get it right. We all have a sense of the allocated volume for the work that needs to fit into it, but unlike that law of physics, we get moving and working to fill the volume with quality instead of panic.
Productive and growing company
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Murfreesboro,TNMay 11, 2015
The hardest part of working here is not having enough time in the day. Deliginetly and effeciently working but not being able to help as many patients as you would like.
working with a great group of people who care for our veterans
lpn (Current Employee), rome nyMay 11, 2015
Pros: work with a team of professionals
Cons: traveling long distances in winter weather...
my typical day at work is viewing dr orders, setting appointments and tasks for day, driving to pt homes with skilled nursing needs and assisting them with needs, knowing i have a team of coworkers a phone call away if needed of social work, ot/pt , Dr, dietary need, returing to my office after pt visits done for charting , placing consult, reordering pt meds ..bring back blood draws to lab...
Great asset for combat veterans looking to get into federal service.
Readjustment Counseling Technician (Former Employee), Lakewood, COMay 4, 2015
Pros: Work with other veterans, federal benefits
Cons: Terrible manager
• Provided a wide range of services to veterans in an effort to make a successful transition from military to civilian life.
• Advised service members on appropriate means of utilizing the Veterans Affairs system as well as putting them in touch with the proper outlet concerning their problem.
• Provided counseling on mental health/readjustment issues to members of the military, reserve, and National Guard returning from the Global War on Terrorism, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
• Train new employees on how to use internal VA records systems and to navigate different websites pertaining to veteran issues.
• Be able to identify veteran experiencing suicidal and homicidal ideations and properly hand call off to the Veterans Crisis Line.
• Responsible for providing veterans with appropriate referrals to the Veterans Counseling Centers via Microsoft Outlook.
• Assisted veterans in finding help with disability and compensation claims as well as home loan benefits and burial arrangements.
• Stayed up to date on the VA trainings for both mental and physical health through the Department of Veterans Affairs Talent Management System.
• Gave guidance on usage of Ebenefits website and how to efficiently navigate and manage VA benefits.
• Listen to veterans readjustment issues and provide peer support
Made up the difference in someone's life who required it
Caregiver (Former Employee), Mount Dora, FLMay 2, 2015
Pros: In out of the weather, come and go as necessary
Cons: Patient progressively deteriorated over time after stroke and passed away
Typical day at work was not to difficult. Make sure patient was comfortable clean, took medication ate healthy meals in timely manner ,Entertainment from friends, relatives, Television radio, pets. Caring for elderly has great rewards, they cannot thrive on their own. Co-workers would be visits from weekly visits from RN and occasional visits from health aids and clergy. Hardest part of job was low pay, actually. More money would have helped immensely.{in this situation} Most enjoyable part was the stories from way back when things were simpler, the realization that this person gets to mstay in his own home to enjoy privacy and freedom, with pets, own room, pride and self esteem
Mammorgram Scheduling
Mammography Program Assistant I (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 30, 2015
Loved working here. Was a great experience and I learned a lot in a hospital setting. Friendly people who enjoy their jobs.
Assistant nurse manager
Assistant nurse manager (Current Employee), Albany, NYApril 30, 2015
responsible for assisting with performance improvement, customer service/patient satisfaction, patient and employee safety, interviewing applicants, employee relations, standards of care and practice, the work environment, and accreditation and regulatory standards. Actively develops and manages collaborative partnerships with physicians and other clinicians. Responsible for assisting with staffing, validating the daily patient classifications, and working with others to identify and share resources. Participates on service and medical center committees and task forces to improve nursing practice and patient care.
very productive
Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 30, 2015
I've been working with the Department Of Veterans Affairs since 1980 and I'm still working. I love working with the Veterans and for the Veterans
Great place for go getters who are willing to work hard
Counselor (Current Employee), Saint petersburg, FLApril 29, 2015
I love interacting with veterans providing insight and informing them of resources available to them. Most employees remain with this agency until retirement so job stability is great
It's amazing
Employee (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 28, 2015
Pros: Can't get fired
Cons: No one gets fired
This is the best job ever. They hire everyone and it is always sunshine and rainbows. Everyone should come apply to work with the greatest Americans ever. There is no better job in the world.
Excellent place to work
LVN (Former Employee), Bonham, TXApril 27, 2015
Pros: Loved going to work daily
Cons: No cons
I worked in the community living center. It was such a wonderful place to work. Coworkers there are the best Ive ever worked with. Management was firm but very good to their employees. Working with our American heros, the greatest feeling!
Great Benefits
RN BSN, Operating Room Circulator and Scrub Nurse (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 27, 2015
Diverse operating room experience, with many different types of cases. Opportunity to circulate and scrub which adds to already diverse background.
good learning
Volunteer (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLApril 24, 2015
i get to experience in helping customers while learning the trades and to meet new ppl. helping customers to there appionments or food ordering as u take them to a seat of there choice. i got to make reminder calls for the upcoming appionments and get a yes or no if they were coming or not.
Great Agency
EEO Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 23, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
This is one of the best Agencys I have ever worked for. I enjoyed my coworkers and working with the team members. I would definitely work for this Agency Again.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$37,910 per year
Licensed Practical Nurse
$41,479 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel