Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Giving back to our Veterans
Project Manager / HR Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 10, 2015
Countless opportunities are available for someone willing to relocate. VA is a large organization that provides security and stability to its employees.
Good Work Experience
General Clerk I (Current Employee), Newnan, GAMarch 9, 2015
I work for a company called HOV Services. They are an outsourcing company for the Department of Veteran Affairs. The work is pretty simple but the job is very unstable. Layoffs are performed quite often and they are constantly running out of work. The facility is not all that great, it is not the cleanest environment. The management at HOV Services definitely needs some improvement but I love the job and the shift I am working overall.
The temporary term appointment was not long enough to complete my mission of fiinding employment for all homeless veterans.
Vocational Rehab/Employment Specialistt (Former Employee), Montrose, NYMarch 7, 2015
Department Of Veterans Affairs is an excellent organization to work for aiding our country's Heroes. A typical day at work would find myself in the community developing job leads, meeting with human resource officials and other hiring authorities, also attending job fairs, counseling and preparing veterans for job interviews, resume writing, and driving veterans to and from job leads and interviews.
Volunteer MyHealtheVet
Volunteer (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 4, 2015
As a volunteer was treated well. However, they are bound by rules as far as travel reimbursement. Pay is $5 for lunch if you work 4 or more hours.
Contract Specialist for Federal leased space
Contract Specialist - Commercial Space Leasing (Former Employee), Brockton, MAMarch 3, 2015
Reviewed requirements from Agency to secure acquisition leasehold space.
Communicated with multiple departments, property managers, commercial real estate brokers, internal departments to ensure cradle to grave completed leased procurements.
Contractor at VA
Project Manager, Project Management Office (PMO) (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2015
I am a contractor at VA so can't comment about VA. I had a good experience working with VA people. Our team was awesome and we delivered all product ontime.
Professional Environment with a noble mission.
Health Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Austin TexasMarch 2, 2015
It is an organization with one of the most noble missions on the planet. Individuals can acquire knowlege on many different areas within healthcare, which is attributable to the vast opportunities that VA has to offer staff.
Promotion potential
Supervisor (Current Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 1, 2015
Pros: some people are recognized (mostly those in the medical field)
Cons: not everyone is recognized fairly (a lot of employees win awards and you never hear about it)
I enjoy working for the VA, except there are those that excel, who are given so much more responsibility, without compensation, that the work becomes overwhelming.

There are times when I have to come in outside of my tour and work, just to stay on top of the work given to me. Its draining, but I love working for the agency. I hate that one day I may have to leave the Agency in order to make more money.

There are grades where you find there is nowhere for you to go, but out. It's like you are stuck in quick sand.

The hardest part of working at the VA is you see those who are getting away with gaming the system, just to collect a check, and they are rewarded just as those who break there backs in giving 200%.

Its also depressing to see you can not get help from HR staff because they are overworked and overwhelmed. There is no where for employees who are not covered by the Union to go for assistance.

Its depressing.
Serving those that Served
Telemetry Technician (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 1, 2015
Just as the title says, I enjoy the fact that I have the opportunity to serve those that serve and have sacrificed for our country.
explore and learn new technology
IT Specialist (Systems Administrator) (Current Employee), Fort. Mcphearson, Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: learn and grow
Cons: family hardship
place to explore and learn new technology. learned server management technique. great management team and co-worker. multiple deployment and hardship. go around the world and have fun.
I love my job!
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Wyoming, MIFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: always a laugh, creativeness
Cons: sometimes demanding
I love working at the VA. Our patients are the best there is. Not a day goes by that I dont laugh and meet someone new. A typical day is met with extreme diversity; NO day at the VA is ever the same old same old....Its "like a box of chocolates; 'never know what yr gonna git " (Forest Gump) Stop by the Blue team and say "hello" :D
Lots of Opportunities to Solve Problems
Health Systems Specialist Intern (Former Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 27, 2015
My career at the Department of Veterans Affairs began during the heavy scrutiny of high patient wait times. This provided for a great career opportunity to be involved in solving big problems. There were countless opportunities to be involved in projects.
Life safety
Firefighter/Paramedic (Current Employee), Martinsburg, WVFebruary 26, 2015
Life safety career, good hours/shift work, good pay, management needs work on crew resourse management. I've learned not to take work home at the end of the day.
Worth the commitment
Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2015
An organization in continuous transition, but has made tremendous strides. Everyday the work-life balance is good. A commitment to the organization is rewarding and contributes to the care of my fellow Veterans.
High Pressure, Low Performance
Supply Chain Program Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: learn a lot
Cons: difficult to manage personal time
The Dept of VA has a very reactive culture, especially in headquarters. It is hard to make changes. The environment is fast-paced, but often requires a lot of travel.
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project (Former Employee), Providence, RIFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: harris contractor overseeing wireless project
Cons: harris contractor overseeing wireless project
Harris Contractor overseeing wireless project.

Contractor in charge of supervising sub contractors while installing Wireless AP' through VA Medical Center
Great benefits
PROGRAM SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: job security and good benefits
Cons: pay is not competitive
As most federal government jobs (in my opinion), the work I did wasn't all that exciting and the project advanced slowly. I however enjoyed the flexibility of working alternative hours as well the benefits they offer. Pay is not all that competitive
Challening and meaningful work
Attorney and Asst. Regional Counsel Region 6 (Former Employee), Decatur, GAFebruary 24, 2015
I provided legal guidance to the medical centers executives in Florida, the Virgin Island, and Puerto Rico. I was responsible for overseeing the daily operations of seven outstation offices and the core office in St. Petersburg, Florida. Additionally, I supervised 26 employees comprised of attorneys, paralegal, and legal assistant.
Comfortable place to work with the right contract.
Senior Instructional Systems Designer (Current Employee), Frederick, MDFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: comfortable work environment
Cons: bad benefits, no snow days
This is a comfortable workplace, but lacks in employee benefits. The hardest part of the job are aggressive deadlines. New management is trying to make a mark and bring in new people.
Good Place to work!!!
Certified Nurses Assistant (Current Employee), Livermore, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Wonderful easy going employer. Helpful staff always to able to find what you need.Nurses are efficent and clean,caring.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$2,594 per month
Medical Support Assistant
$38,787 per year

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel