Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Found 2,429 reviews matching the search
having good health and fun to go to a job is a good thing in life
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 10, 2017
Productive and fun workplace, always helping other veterans is a good day for me, having every day employment is a great thing to have, working with other veterans was like old times of being in the military brings back memories
Pros
having employment that you enjoy
Cons
short breaks but was alright with me
Draper's Review
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 10, 2017
My day started at 0830 a.m. where I would meet with supervisor, and take notes on the daily assignments. I learned a lot about being on time, finishing tasks in a timely manner, multi tasking, and being a team player. I worked pretty much by myself, so I didn't have entertain much with other employees unless it was about there time, which I was responsible for. The hardest part was trying to keep up with two supervisors daily meetings and finishing work in a timely manner, which it always got done. The enjoyable part was the end of the day so I can begin it all over again.
Pros
Everyday learning
Cons
Lines where to long for lunch
Excelllent
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, VAJanuary 10, 2017
The VA Hospital have a major impact on me . It gave me the confidence I needed to strive forward and it's the first step towards my career and setting high goals and achieving them is what I intend to do.
Great place to work the G.I. clinic is wonderful
GI Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Mather, CAJanuary 9, 2017
The VA at Mather is one of the best clinics I've ever worked at. The atmosphere is stress free and the staff are caring and concerned about its coworkers as well as our veteran population.
Great working environment
Siteminder Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 9, 2017
The work is very challenging but rewarding. The teams in place are very responsive and there does not appear to be support silos as in other companies I have been involved in. Everyoen is personalable and approachable.
Fun place to work and meet many new friends.
Health Tech- Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 9, 2017
taking patients vital signs, caring for patients, assisting with bathing dressing, ADL's, assisting at meals, pulling out IV's, straight cathing patients, check blood sugars, etc. Management tries to accomodate all staff members. Co-workers are fun to work with, great atmosphere to learn. Great pay for working as a CNA for the Federal Government.
Pros
Meeting new friends and people
Cons
Some times working with hard patients and aggressive patients.
Horrible, unprofessional, incompetent
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hines, ILJanuary 8, 2017
If you are an experienced, responsible, ethical accountant; stay away from Hines VA Fiscal department. This department is horrible, full of incompetence and the turnover rate is high due to poor management.
Pros
there is nothing positive about this department
Cons
Poorly managed, incompetent management, favortism
Very Good.
Health and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAJanuary 7, 2017
Professional and easy to navigate. Worth the time, if one is truly seeking employment and wants to be reviewed by genuine employers.
Pros
Many.
Cons
None.
Extremely poorly managed
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJanuary 7, 2017
No opportunity for advancement even with a bachelors degree, case management certification and 30+ years of health care experience in the private sector. There isn't enough parking, the grounds are covered in mud & gravel, the roads are a mess & homeless vets living in former officer quarters let their dogs defecate on the sidewalks and their kids run & ride bikes on station. Pay is very very low considering how expensive living in walla walla is. Low paid workers don't get much time off & are treated poorly. Staff turnover is a major problem as is lack of staff. Morale is terrible & numerous complaints have been lodged against the HR manager, director & especially the AD with no improvement. The AD is clueless about what goes on, never talks to the worker bees & ignores all good suggestions for improvement. The AD is not at all concerned about patient & employee safety. Nothing was done to clear parking lots, roads & sidewalks with the first big snow storm resulting in numerous injuries & falls of staff & vets. Roads are still solid sheets of ice. Excuses about having no one to shovel & no outside contractors willing & available are plentiful. Millions are being spent on a new building while the historic buildings are completely neglected. Favoritism is rampant & unchecked. Walla walla has few specialists forcing vets to drive many hours to larger va's or rely on the veterans choice program which have long wait times & leave vets with big bills. Transportation for vets to the larger va's is quite limited.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Many, as listed below. Low pay, no career advancement opportunities, no parking, low morale & terrible management
great place to get volunteer hours in
Pharmacy Administrative Support (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJanuary 7, 2017
liked the flexibility, got to work in many different areas of the buildings, allowing me to work at getting my job skills I needed in many different areas.
great place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2017
Excellent place to work. I was a volunteer there. Pretty exciting . Meeting new people. Learning new things, I would do it all over again. It was youth Volunteer,
Rewarding workplace
Program Assistant, Patient Accounts (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 4, 2017
Working with and for veterans was the most rewarding thing I've done. Patients are appreciative of anything you can do for them. I was never able to thank our patients enough for their service to our country.
Pros
many opportunities for learn different jobs
Cons
Reward system for management changes every Presidential term.
Very Stressful Environment with daily changes
Dyonyx VBMS Systems Analyst (AFMS) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2017
A typical day at work includes answering phones and emails helping employees of the VA with trouble tickets. The System is way behind and instead of the programmers fixing the many issues with it they rather ad to an already overloaded system. There is no training for the system we are troubleshooting so you have to learn as you go. This can cause major confusion if you have not worked in this field before. The team atmosphere is great however the moral is very low and not supported much by upper management.The hardest part of the job is the lack of understanding that the workload at some times can be heavy but management is more so worried about numbers and that goes without saying. While I enjoy working there, there were too many leaders all with different policies in which we would not know who to follow.
Pros
Elevated Security Clearance, Benefits
Cons
No overtrime, not enough hours in the day to complete the work.
Va
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 4, 2017
Great benefits, lots of trainings for all employees, CYA philosophy due to crippling bureaucracy. Frequent policy change at a national level creates general confusion for local hospitals
Pros
After a year it is an exceptionally secure job
Cons
crippling bureaucracy
Best nursing job ever!
Staff Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2017
A typical day at work training new employees, keeping track of staff education records and their on line education. I was involved with the staff Dr.'s, Nurses (RN, LPN, NA), PT, OT, ST and managers of the units I was responsible. The work included group and one-on-one education every single day plus daily meetings for the position. I learned new stuff everyday and I loved it there. The educational opportunities are endless for everyone at the VA. Every time there was a management change, they wanted to make a mark by making changes that didn't work in the past. thus, a constant cycle of failure which was frustrating. The hardest part of the job was not being able to get rid of lazy workers and some managers who only knew how to carry a tablet, dress up for work, arrive last and leave first. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff nurses and doctors and of course, the veterans!
Pros
Unlimited educational opportunites, pay and benefits
Cons
A few lazy workers that can't be fired and some managers shouldn't be managers
Health Admin Services
Medical Support Assistant GS-5 (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 4, 2017
I work in HAS and its one of the departments with the highest turnover rate. HAS practically does everything for the patients and provider and it can get real busy and hectic, I think they could do a lot more for their employees.
Pros
flexible and almost all holidays off
Cons
slow advancement
Great Organization to be employed by
Asst. Chief / Sterile Processing (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 4, 2017
Serving those that have served in honorable, selfless, and humble. I have been with the VA Healthcare system going on 2 years now. Great choice.
Honored to serve our vets
Medical support assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I had the best time of my life at the Va , working for Vets who served and protected our country , hearing about war stories and putting a smile on each and every vets face that i helped ! great place to work
good company
Prosthetics Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  portland/ vancouverJanuary 3, 2017
good company. takes a while to move up. slow environment hard for a transition from military to civilian / federal workforce. wish there were more opportunity for physical activity and less repetitive trainings.
Great team work..
I.T. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 3, 2017
This Company has a firm foundation for team work. I am very pleased with the every team member and how well we work together.I feel this is one of the best places, I have and is to work. You get to meet, greet and work with all people in their walks of life. Just to mention a few, now the most important Pro is that I get to work for some of the best people in the world-Veterans, as I am one myself it is a pleasure to fore fill the daily task of maintaining a clean and safe environment for all to work in.
Pros
Room for grouth
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location