Department of Veterans Affairs

1.3K reviews

Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

What people are saying about Department of Veterans Affairs

• Heavy scrutiny of high patient wait times
  • The Department of Veterans Affairs is not a good place for growth
  • It was very challenging at times to cut through the red tape and get the Veterans the care they need and deserve
  • See more...
Found 1,238 reviews matching the search
Quality service
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 5, 2015
Better support needed for veterans...knowledge of procedures to accomplish mission. Understand how the system works. Very interested in accomplishing helpful and thorough assistance to veterans who are more deserving that being treated due to lack of help.
Pros
benefits for veterans
Cons
non
Government
LAUNDRY PLANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 5, 2015
Great place to work about to retire soon
Veterans comes first, I am a Vet, so I am helping my fellow Veterans
I have a great tem around me
I love serving the Veterans
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 4, 2015
Loved being able to assist veterans, in completing their medical treatment. Such as scheduling follow up appointment to ensure their complete care
Pros
The ability to assist veterans, because I am one
Cons
Nothing to list
Good place to retire from
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2015
typical day starts at 8am..a few mtg.Mangement isn't reactive , not proactive. they don't see issues prior to them happening .hardest part is getting everyone on the same page to work for a common goal.
Productivity
Program Support Clerk (Insurance) (Former Employee) –  Mare Island, CANovember 2, 2015
Had a daily productivity to meet, so for 8 hours, minus lunch and 2 breaks, had to be focused on meeting the daily quota. Great benefits long term.
Pros
Location was great
Working to Help our country's Veterans
Advanced Clinical medical Associate (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 1, 2015
This position was at times very rewarding other times very depressing. You get to know the Veteran's and many are very ill. This is the downside of this position. I did indeed learn that no matter how long you are doing a job, there is ALWAYS something new to learn.
Pros
LOVED the Veteran's! Rewarding, Excellent Benefits
Cons
Not challenging enough, time for career change
Great company to work for
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 1, 2015
Great company to work for. Able to provide great care to the veterans. Good place to an exciting career.You are always meeting new people.
Excellent place to work.
Charge Nurse Neurosurgery/ Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 31, 2015
We always had the time we needed to get rooms set up. And for most part we supported each other.
Most enjoyable part of job was our support for one another,
Hardest part of job was not as much support from management.
n/a
Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New London, CTOctober 30, 2015
sorry I can't comment on this. my co workers are wonderful. location is great. I really can't review this. why do I get an error for not wanting to review this?
Professional staff
lpn (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 29, 2015
I had a few unfortunate experiences but the va as a whole is wonderful I worked in multiple departments for 6 years, so I have a pretty good understanding of what's reqired.
could be a nice place to work, but too much drama
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 26, 2015
Deserving employees are not given opportunities to advance. Working there was good for me, in that it gave me the necessary skills needed to pursue my chosen career field.
Pros
job security
Cons
too many cliques
Important work helping VETS
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT, GS-7, Full Time (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEOctober 24, 2015
HR work is very rewarding. Helping our customers find employment. I would assist them any way I could - from writing resumes to interview advice.
VA - Serving Veterans - A great place to work
Locksmith (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 23, 2015
The VA has the latest technology going into the new facilities. It requires a lot of time, professionalism, expertise and dedication to function within this environment. The workload is heavy but it is a fun job. You are challenged with technology that requires extra effort to understand and maintain, however it is an effective means to maintain such a large set of complexes. I would recommend this employer if you are a veteran looking to finish out your retirement or just begin the second part of your career.
Pros
Challenging Job
Cons
Exremely heavy workloads
An excellent place to care for Veterans
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAOctober 22, 2015
Is a diverse, fast paced environment caring for men and women across the lifespan with multiple disease processes. Most days at work were very busy and were rewarding. It was an honor to work there and serve those who served our country.
Great place to work helping veterans.
Administrative Employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 22, 2015
A typical day was fast paced with a lot of routine duties. Duties were mostly fiscal but interaction with veterans was a daily occurrence. Because of this, I had the opportunity to see first hand the difficulties facing our veterans today. The rewards were great and sometimes difficult to deal with, as I watched them deal with their disabilities.
Regarding management, as with any branch of the government it had its deficits, overall management did the best they could considering the fiscal limitations. My co-workers were mostly veterans and I found a sense of brotherhood and a dedicated work force. The hardest part of the job was dealing with constant change and uncertainty regarding annual fiscal policy. The most enjoyable part of my job was the friendships I forged over my many years of service.
Pros
Personnel benefits
Cons
Fiscal uncertainty
Enjoyed working with Veterans
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 21, 2015
I love to work with Government/Federal jobs. I learned a lot with various people and co workers with their experiences, loved to learn the challenges with these job positions and meeting people since I am deaf and using sign language we communicated through with the paper and pen. Only one difficult is that I couldn't communicate over the phone, have to have an accommodate to have depend on others to make calls or getting some extra to help them out with paperwork to be done.
Pros
Benefits and One hour lunch.
Cons
No benefits, and short lunch.
Worplace leaves a lot to be desired
Advanced Medical Support Asst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 21, 2015
No written comments on this employer. Due to the lack of upward mobility, I decided to change careers. I have no more to say.
Incredibly chaotic and mismanaged
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant GS-5 (Former Employee) –  Leeds, MAOctober 20, 2015
A horrendous place to work. Incredibly mismanaged. Inappropriate hiring and staffing. Toxic culture.
Little to no advancement opportunities.
Rampant nepotism.
An positive and rewarding experience.
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIOctober 19, 2015
Working for the Veterans Affairs patient library was an positive and rewarding experience. The Veterans were glad to get any help they could to check out books, resource materials, and information researches.
Unfortunately they sometimes took advantage of it by not returning materials and I was not supported when requesting there return.
My disabilities were mostly accommodated but not always.
Customer service was rewarding by knowing you helped your customer.
Pros
My disabilities were mostly accommodated but not always.
Cons
Customer service was rewarding by knowing you helped your customer.
Poor leadership and management
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WyomingOctober 19, 2015
Poor leadership and management at the VA Medical Centers does not make it an employer of choice or a model employer. The employer (HR) likes to have a dictatorship style leadership mentality and they spend time on frivolous endeavors that one would usually not consider themselves with; petty things. Good to be moved on.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
Dictatorship style work environment