Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,131 reviews matching the search
Love to help veterans, and the VA is the place
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2015
It is true that the VA is too large, but this does not mean that people in the VA are impersonal. With the large amount of veterans accessing a multiple resources of the VA and the negative press of the VA in recent memory, there are great employees working for the VA, and there needs to be more people who care for veterans in the VA system. The hardest part is to see some employees jaded of their jobs, but there needs to be more people who are willing to change the culture at the VA who want to help veterans out during their difficulties. Getting those who are not affected by this culture, and those who want to serve veterans, regardless of their MOS or combat experience need to be included to overcome this negative image on the VA. As a veteran myself, I want to promote this change and it was an honor to serve veterans in the Supported Employment Department in West LA VA.
Pros
Benefits and job security
Cons
Recent negative media
The Nurse Advice Line is Great place to work
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
I disagree with the previous comment about the VISN Nurse Advice Call Center. I have worked here for many years and have never had difficulty with the management. The turnover is very low. Most people have left to retire; over the past 10 years, only 5 out of 50 co-workers and 2 left to relocate. Most of my co-workers have worked here for 7+ years. The main problem is a small group of staff members that are unhappy with their lot in life and come to work angry every day. It is the same group that complains all of the time and picks fights with other staff. The benefits are great and yes I love the 5 weeks vacation. The VA overall is a great place to work and I think the nursing staff is treated very well in our unit. This is the best place I have ever worked and I have worked many different places in the private sector.
Excellent opportunity; unrelated and poor training; focused on quanity and not quality of service standards
Rating Veterans Services Representatives (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2016
Providing service to others is a great opportunity, however the quality of service must be a priority. Output generation remained a greater concern and therefore, providing adequate training and guidelines to perform the tasks at hand were limited or not available when it required authorizing excused time during the workday and reduction in productivity. Consequently, the working environent was without any co-worker or cohesive team/work relationships.

The responsibilities necessitated strong guidelines that were not written, thus creating some diffiiculty in managing the personal workload,

The most enjoyable part of the job was doing my best to provide a service to someone that depended on me.
Organizational chart would be beneficial to indicate the chain 0f command.
PARALEGAL COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 30, 2016
Its a very interesting and challenging position,Training consist of sitting at your desk and reading manuals and interpreting various laws and associating them with real life situations. This was a daily day routine. Questions were answered by veteran co-workers when available. It's very rewarding assisting veterans with their appeal process. I'm more knowledgeable about veterans benefits than prior to this job. The veterans administration is a great place to work especially when surrounded by knowledgeable co-workers which makes it enjoyable. The most difficult part of this job is understanding the legal language and how to apply it.
Pros
Great organization, Training in a class room setting would be appropriate
Cons
Salary not in line with national average, Pay is too low.
Great team, lacking structure
BUDGET ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 22, 2016
Beginning a work day I typically reconciled transactions from the previous day and insured each account balance was true. Following that an analysis of internal client allocated budget was required. Additionally, ad hoc financial report requests came down from our corporate office. This required us to balance responsibility and time management regularly.
From my direct supervisor down to my the least experienced employee I greatly benefited from a supportive, skilled, and fun team at the VA. Most importantly we collaborated as a team on large projects and made time to assist others as necessary. Unfortunately upper management structure made it so communication lines were blurred and accountability lacking. Additionally, there was no room for process improvement.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
poor management structure
Nepotism and Favoritism
Nobody (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 15, 2016
At one point, there was a Supervisor & Spouse & Child working at my VA. A lot of mgmt have given their extended family employment although clearly unqualified. It is continuing at an alarming rate. Favoritism cliques, Boyfriend/girlfriend galore.
Worst job I have ever had .Most of the Veterans who got employed are just there to work the system.
80% looking on how to get the inside scoop of raising their disability, getting medical retirement and they are doing it. Only looking out for themselves, not the Veteran coming in the door.
Managers have harassed employees to the point they will transfer to another VA to alleviate their stress.
I stay because I love my Veterans and need the money.
Otherwise, I would rather shovel manure than work with the stress created amongst the walls.
Pros
Thrift Savings Plan
Cons
Nepotism-favoritism, unqualified co-workers milking the system
Interesting and eye opening
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2016
During my volunteer time I got to experience what a social worker does and see the type of help they do. I helped in the social worker in preparing for their yearly outreach event. I found great joy in helping the social worker with the mini task that lead to her helping the veterans who need the help. The hardest part was not being able to get that one-on-one interaction with the veteran and help them myself. Being a veteran I felt obligated to help my brother and sister in arms but I had to hold back and let the social worker do it. However it was enjoyable to see the happiness on the veterans face with I talked to them outside the clinic and see how they were being helped. I learned that sometimes the little paperwork portion does help more than being that person working with the veteran. Overall very enjoyable time that showed me what social workers do, behind the client.
Very hands-on interaction with veterans
Representative Payee/Fiduciary (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2016
This was an autonomous independent contractor position with zero perks and no room for advancement as a rep payee. A typical work day would be meeting with a ward of the department, finding out what their basic needs are and ensuring that they are met, for example, food, clothing and shelter. The hardest part of the job was that most of them were diagnosed with PTSD or were bipolar or had a mental issue which sometimes made the job of communicating with them very difficult. The most enjoyable part for me was I tried to make a difference in their lives, shared positive and uplifting stories and sometimes went beyond the call of duty just to see a smile on their faces.
Pros
Autonomous position
Cons
Repetitive and incessant communication on a daily basis from wards
Exciting place to work
Patient Escort Wheelchair (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 17, 2016
Start the day of with receiving the list to bring down Patients down to the Occupational Therapy, Speech, and Physical Therapy. Make numerous trips bring them down from each room on the 6 wings on two floors of the Hospital. Each patient must be made ready to go by the Nurses in which I must communicate with precisely. Take the patients down, and announce them at the therapy room, and return them back to their rooms ensuring their presence is know again to prevent Fall Hazards.Every time sanitation procedures must be used. It is helpful to communicate with to patient to get them motivated for therapy which makes the day quicker and friendlier. Sometimes the patients can surprise you and help you with your own difficulties.
Pros
Busy.
Cons
Not being able to magically fix the patients.
Worst Police Job
Police Posser (Former Employee) –  VASNHCSMay 20, 2016
None of your supervisory Staff have any real police experience but they think they do. Your Chief of Police has never made an arrest in his life or used his handcuffs on real suspects unless he was a state recognized Peace Officer but yet he tells you how your job should be done. You have a fake badge with no arrest powers, you will never arrest and book anyone in jail because you are not recognized as having any state police powers. Civilian hospital administration runs the show and not the Chief of Police. The name should be changed to Security Guard instead of Police since your duties are more security Guard duties. You walk around the hospital with at least 30 keys to every door and constantly get called to unlock and lock up doors. After working the streets for 20 years, I worked there for a few years and regretted every minute of it.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the Job is a joke
Review Summary
Mid-Level Management Position (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 13, 2016
I worked there in mid-management, but found that I had hit a wall as far as advancement was concerned. I was also concerned about the constant reorganization of upper management in my later years. It seemed as if no one know who was supervising who. Also, no one could figure out why certain people were promoted over others. I enjoyed helping veterans and their families immensely until I was advised to answer their question, mail any form they requested and get of the phone. Basically, the organization had lost sight of its own mission vision and values: to provide world class customer service and first call resolution.
Pros
Benefits and Salary, Ability to Obtain Continuing Education
Cons
See above review.
The VA offers exceptional benefits for regular staff members however, I feel that the life/work balance for managers is poorly monitored by Leadership
Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work is spending 10-12 hours balancing resident issues, staffing issues and scheduling. Very little time for patient interaction. I drive 45 miles each way to work, increasing my work time to about 13 hours /5 days a week. I am on call every other week with no compensation. I am expected to cover call offs as the charge nurse without compensation.
I enjoy the interaction with the Veterans and believe in the mission of the VA. I have a tremendous team of co workers that believe in the VA mission and vision as well.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
long drive/work-life balance is poor and unobtainable.
Rewarding
LPN (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 14, 2016
Working with military Veterans has been rewarding, being previous military myself, I can connect and learn about them and their stories. I assist the Veterans on our ward, which is a long-term/hospice/rehab ward, get dressed and ready for the day, or get them ready for bed if on evenings, toileting, passing medications if I am assigned the med cart that day, assist with meals, treatments such as wound care, catheter care, and rounding. I have learned a lot here since I was basically a new LPN. I would watch the treatment nurses come and do wound care rounds so when it was my turn to do wound cares on a Veteran, I knew what I needed to do. I enjoy working with my co-workers, I enjoy working with the Veterans, getting to know them and their families, especially as they are transitioning when their loved one passes away, being there for them as much as I can in those final days.
Pros
The experiences I get to learn from
Cons
unsure at the moment
Hard working and fast paced.
Escort/Hospice Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2015
I love healthcare and serving my vets. I have a variety of experience, yet I am willing to learn more in different fields..
Pros
Stability/Benefits
Cons
Change is everyday.
Must have an eye for accuracy
medical support assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 10, 2015
Busy, have to be able to multi-task. Working with a high geriatric population that can have lots of challenges. Hard of hearing and sometimes cannot understand technology. There is something to do from open to close and the tasks are never-ending. I've learned a lot about military life and challenges they face. Management is good and easy to work with. They tell you your job duties and trust you to do them. My co-workers and I work as a team. I am a person that likes to complete tasks but I have to keep in mind that it's never-ending which can be maddening. Its very satisfactory to know that I am helping those who served who wrote a check to the government up to and including their lives. Now I can give back.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Very stressful
Productivity
Program Support Clerk (Insurance) (Former Employee) –  Mare Island, CANovember 2, 2015
Had a daily productivity to meet, so for 8 hours, minus lunch and 2 breaks, had to be focused on meeting the daily quota. Great benefits long term.
Pros
Location was great
Beware
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSMay 27, 2016
Some long-time manager types posing as professionals are allowed to treat others with hostility and disrespect on a regular basis despite employees' ethical, excellent, productive work. Unbelievable the number of personality disorders on staff and lies perpetrated for no obvious purpose, other than to glean enjoyment out of being a horrid individual and getting away with it. Serving veterans becomes 3rd on the list of their priorities. It is a mystery how they keep their jobs, since all the other long-time employees talk about them being out if line. Very sad.
Pros
Vets served
Cons
Supervisors who regularly mistreat and malign co-workers with impunity
Friendly staff
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Quincy, ILSeptember 29, 2015
Overall a great place to work. Excellent benefits, hours, and vacation time. However, as a veteran, a lot of the policies and procedures conflict with what you feel should be done about your service brothers.
Pros
good benefits, hours, and vacation time
Cons
as a veteran, it is a very conflicting place to work
Don't ever work for Canteen Service!!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2016
i loved my job at the VA especially working with the Vets and helping them.
I hated where I worked .....
In the Canteen for the Veterans Canteen Service!
They underpay all of their employees and management gets all the good pay and the rewards.
The management people are horrible bosses who don't care anything about their employees or the Vets and their families.
They are mean miserable people who hate their job and take it out on everyone who comes in their store!
They NEVER want to promote their employees and hold them back on any and every job promotion they apply for.
They talk about you in front of you and behind your back and make the job so awful for you and everyone else!
Central Office needs to clean house and get rid of them. 😁😔😁😔
Pros
I loved working for the Vets and their families.
Cons
You will never get to move up!!! Pay sucks!
Food Service Worker
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAFebruary 25, 2016
Part time 30hrs is only 15 hours a week, they don't tell you its 30hrs a pay period. Nice place but management say the will help you but they do not. I am currently in the position of loosing everything and need more hours and they post this job on here, so this is helping me. Also by the time they take all deductions, I have less than $40.00, just enough to fill my tank. I am so disappointed in my supervisor and the current HR specialist which I have expressed my current situation too.
Pros
Co- workers are really nice.
Cons
not enough hours

Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location