Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Nice Area to come in to
Programmer (Former Employee), Newark, NJJune 25, 2014
Pros: doing work for the next day
Cons: no lunch rooms in the building
While working with the veteran affairs I would work on veterans folders, learn how to be people oriented, Management would help when every I needed them, or the co workers would work individual. The hard part was not wanting to leave such a good group people after the day.
Very slow pace work
Data Entry/ Claims (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 24, 2014
It's only a great job because of what your are doing which is helping Veterans to get there benefits.
management is terrible, union is weak, disorganized administration
Ward Clerk (Former Employee), Kansas CityJune 23, 2014
Pros: working for a good cause, good benefits, feeling like you're making a difference in the world
Cons: management treat lower level employees like slaves, no union protection
The vets themselves are great, and many of the doctors and nurses do a fabulous job. I was a low grade employee, so my experience was different.

for lower level employees, things are much harder:
the management rules by intimidation, including but not limited to: yelling, shouting, name-calling and striking objects in displays of violence. management – more... does not listen to employees, or respect employee confidentiality. it is a military management style, where employee rights are ignored. the employee union is weak and can't do much. management lies to cover their read ends, and will blame and fire employees without reason.

i made a complaint with the EEOC about a saxual harassment incident, and 2 weeks later i was fired on trumped up "verbal counseling" charges, after I had been yelled at and intimidated by my supervisor. i had been harassed by co-workers in the meantime due to complaint I had filed with the EEOC, which my co -workers found out about, and management did not address the harassment that took place.

i know i was fired due to the saxual harassment claim, that management had known about. they saw me as a problem and decided to get rid of me, rather than address the issue. i was harassed by an ex-con who was employed at the hospital as part of a last chance for felons program. yes, ex-cons are employed as janitors at the VA.

my experience with the VA is they do not address problems or deal with them, but if an employee becomes a problem, they either intimidate that person, then fire them.

If you're a vet, or a higher level employee, you may not have this problem.

recent scandals indicate problems all across the board with the organization sweeping problems under the rug instead of dealing with them in a positive or constructive way. organization has lost sight of what it's really supposed to be doing, which is helping the veterans. – less
Veterans
Student Volunteer (Billing Assistant) (Former Employee), San Juan, PRJune 17, 2014
Working with Veterans is an incredible experience because elos have many ideas, things that tell o be human as well.
great place to work
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee), el paso, texasJune 16, 2014
nice easy going environment. a great learning and growing environment
Supervisors Terrible
Inpatient Hospital Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJune 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: inadequate help, management
Supervisors are unfair and tend to discriminate against older employees.
A great entry level position for interns
CLERICAL ASSISTANT/INTERN (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 16, 2014
I definitely learned a lot from being in this position at this job in Washington, D.C. There was definitely a lot of tedious work to be done and a lot of confidential information to withhold, but overall this was a great experience and I would definitely want to recommend this company to the next person.
Contractors get the short end of the stick.
IT Security Analyst (Current Employee), Martinsburg, WVJune 16, 2014
Definitely better to work for the VA if you are a full time employee. Contractors get the short end of the stick.
Excellent patient care
Health Technician - Research Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, WAJune 16, 2014
Pros: excellent staff and supervisor
Excellent working conditions and staff involvement - helping to conduct a research study involving Orthostatic Hypotension
Worked with great people
Program Support Clerk (Former Employee), Brockton, MAJune 16, 2014
The people I worked with were awesome. Management was very flexible, but as an intern it seemed difficult to get real work. The work/life balance was very nice however.
VETERANS FOR ALL YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICES THANK YOU.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Former Employee), San Diego CAJune 14, 2014
Pros: giving back to our veterans.
Cons: unsupportive and..........? supervisors and management
I was excited to start work here as I am a Veteran myself and to give back just a little through assisting our Veterans to live the best quality of life was my focus and desire.

Veterans deserve the best and providing VA services is just a start.

I have been pleased with each encountered with our veteran clients.

They put their trust in employees – more... of the VA and we must do our part to meet their needs and concerns with the best of our knowledge and true compassion to want to be here or we are in the wrong place to work. – less
I feel so fortunate to have a job where I am able to care for veterans
Staff RN, Home Based Primary Care (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 14, 2014
Government vehicle is provided for use when traveling to veteran's homes. I am treated like a professional and I feel valued. I feel supported by my manager and coworkers. I feel comfortable making suggestions to management.
Great place to extern
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee), Mather, CAJune 12, 2014
Pros: many learning opertunities to to different departments
Cons: wasn't able to give injections do to career tittle, or handle a needle even tho im trained to.
I had and amazing experience on my externship at the Mather Field VA. The people i worked with were full of life, friendly, and made the day go by smooth. Team players all the way. I got to do everything i was taught in school and learned it all more in depth.
Great facility to work in. Management easy to work with
PROGRAM SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Golden, COJune 12, 2014
Pros: great benefits, location and people
Worked on computer all day with minimal supervision. Learned a great deal about contracts, hearing aids and serving the great veterans that have served our country. Most of the co-workers are veterans themselves and therefore strived to give our customers the best service possible. Talking with veterans on a daily basis and hearing about some of the – more... things they went through while serving was unforgettable. – less
Work study
Customer Service Greeting, Physical Assisting (Former Employee), Las Cruces, NMJune 10, 2014
Pros: study time
Cons: labor
I was a secretary/work study attaining my Bachelors degree in Business Administration, BBA.
I learned society has such an easy life because of veterans.
My coworkers were great, the hardest part of the job was pleasing customers, and I enjoyed my study time.
Same as before
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 9, 2014
Same as before, if it hadn't been for medical reason, I'd still be working there.
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 9, 2014
Pros: helped veterans
Cons: short breaks, lack of employees
Working for the VA allowed me to become more knowledgeable in my field of study. I worked in an extremely high-speed work place. The days went by so quick! The best part about the job is knowing that we were working to help veterans.
Learning opportunities are great, management is very unethical
pharmacist (Current Employee), North CarolinaJune 9, 2014
Pros: veterans, colleagues
Cons: management, red tape, unethical illegal activity
great coworkers, veterans were very appreciative. Decisions are solely based on the director who has no medical background. Unethical and illegal activity take place.
Productive and very caring work environment.
Intern (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCJune 8, 2014
I would say working with the very gave me tools that I will need to help me prepare for the job market and life after I graduated from college.
Medical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Augusta, GAJune 7, 2014
• Answering phones, retrieving and taking the appropriate action from phone messages.
• Scheduling, cancelling or rescheduling patient’s appointments and/or consults.
• Entering no-show information and retrieve and process messages thru CLR (Call Log Recorder).
• Monitoring the electronic wait/recall list.
• Preparing for clinic visits, monitoring both – more... impatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility.
• Ensuring encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit.
• Certifying and updating demographics and insurance information.
• Processing all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA faculties or private hospitals.
• Performs basic eligibility, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage and travel claims. – less

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos