Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

N/A
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 2, 2014
Federal Agency for Veterans Healthcare and Benefits.
Hospital
Campus
Outstanding organization
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Jackson, MSMay 1, 2014
Train, advise, and consult on employee/labor relations and security programs
Great clinical experience
Clinical Rotation (Former Employee), Memphis, TNApril 30, 2014
• 8-week spinal cord injury unit/acute care rotation
• ASIA A-E injuries
• Power mobility evaluations
• Wound care: Stage IV pressure ulcers, Wound V.A.C.
• ICU and SICU
Can't really beat it in general!
Police Officer (Current Employee), Augusta, GAApril 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits, very decent pay, and it takes an act of congress to get fired.
Cons: too much red tape to accomplish anything.
In general, there's not much out there. Where else in the world can you make a decent salary, great benefits, excellent retirement, and really not have to do that much?

I love being a federal unionized worker!
Patient Centered and Employee Focused
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), East Orange, NJApril 30, 2014
Pros: the medical and dental benefits
Cons: no cons
Working for the VA has many rewards, including wonderful medical and dental benefits. It is the place to be for people who can navigate the system to achieve results. I learned how to be more outspoken because verbal communication was a critical part of the job
VA review
Secretary/Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Durham, NCApril 28, 2014
Pros: being able to help vetrans get health care.
Cons: not being able to directly work with the vetrans.
I enjoyed working for the VA hospital. It was very fulfilling. Being a veteran myself I understood how much our work affected them. I was placed in the accounting department which was a new experience for me. I stated my day off by filing paperwork for the new veterans. I would also sort the mail, and answer phone calls. As the day proceeded I would – more... work on the database to ensure all the veterans got their money for coming to the VA. I would also make sure all of the other departments got reimbursed the money that they spent. All day I would answer phone calls and do anything the supervisory accountant asked me to do.

Eventually I moved from the finance department to the emergency department of the hospital. I worked as the Program Support Assistant of the Emergency Department. I was in charge of updating the nurses training folders and making sure they were meeting all the regulations. – less
Job security with great benefits and work/life balance.
Health Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 23, 2014
Working for the federal government has many rewards. It is the place to be for people who like structure and can navigate the system to achieve results. The most enjoyable part of the job are the benefits and work/life balance. If you are ambitious, you can reach a plateau fairly quickly which has its good and bad.
Think tank of professionals dedicated to excellence
Senior Program Manager (7Delta) (Current Employee), columbia, mdApril 23, 2014
Pros: supportive executive management team
Cons: long hours
Challenging, rewarding, supportive, continuous learning, rewards performance
Patient Services
Patient Services Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioApril 22, 2014
Pros: benefits
The government offers many benefits. I was a part of a Co-Op student program that offered a lot of flexibility around work schedule and college courses.
great job helping veterans
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee), Oakland, CAApril 20, 2014
To characterize this position as work would not be fair or accurate, because while serving in this position I benefitted personally in both mind and spirit. In essence, it would be accurate to say that I received more that I could have ever given. The position required the following:
• Providing service and support to our Nation’s wounded warriors in – more... the form of assisting them via vocational rehabilitation. A program implemented by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
• Managed contracts in excess of $1m that assisted veterans in the areas of tutoring, classes, financial assistance, and rebuilding their lives. Just to name a few.
• In addition to the aforementioned items, I was responsible for the compiling data regarding the budget and providing the information to Department of Veteran Affairs on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
• My duties also included the management of approximately twenty-five (25) contractors engaged in the vocational rehabilitation program. Responsibilities included accurate accounting of all funds, liaison activities, communications, and ensuring that the beneficiaries of the program’s services received the quality assistance that they needed and deserved. – less
Work Study for school
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2014
Pros: it was a fun job
Cons: i graduated too fast
I worked here as apart of my work study program in school, so that I could have real work experience as a CNA for Job Corps. I enjoyed working with everyone here. I worked mainly with occupational therapists and physical therapists. I was also given my first set of residents who were all disable veterans. I heard a lot of war stories from WWII. I also – more... learned how to keep records and read medical terminology. – less
Awesome employer.
Chief Business Office (CBO) (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 18, 2014
Great work environment with multiple opportunities for career growth.
very dinamic & diverse environment
Program Support Assistant, GS (Current Employee), 385 Tremont Ave. East Orange, NJ 07018April 18, 2014
Pros: leadership is very supportive of my educational & proffesional growth
Cons: dealing with irate veterans very stressfull sometimes
I enjoy working here for the past 21 years. I have some co-workers/friends who go extra mile for their patients & I love being part of such a caring & giving environment.
Supportive and enjoyable work environment with pool volleyball on Wednesdays and ping pong during lunch hour.
OT Intern (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 17, 2014
Pros: discounted lunches at the canteen, 50% productivity meant quality patient time
Cons: 10 hour shift and short breaks
The hardest part of the job was the initial getting used to the government setting and hospital setting. I learned how to be more outspoken because verbal communication was a critical part. Co-workers were easy to get along with and communicate with. I really enjoyed working with veterans and getting to know them.
I love serving those who have served our country.
Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (CT) (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALApril 15, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: rotating shifts
I desire to have a stable shift vs. rotating weekly. I also enjoy providing quality patient care to the veterans. I love the stories they share and they seem to really appreciate the care they receive.
A good place to work
EADS contractor (Former Employee), Hines, ILApril 13, 2014
Pros: government benefits
Cons: contract no renewed
A great place to work and great people to work with. Friendly environment. Worked 8-5 and punched out. A relaxed environment
BCMA Coordinator/Nursing ADPAC
BCMA Coordinator/ADPAC (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCApril 13, 2014
Pros: monday through friday
A typical day at work begins with reviewing emails from the night or weekend of BCMA software issues or equipment failure of medication carts, barcode scanners, wristband printers or any other IT related equipment in Patient Care Services (Nursing). View VistA alerts of unable to scan messages and alerts to actions on BCMA software packages that are – more... needed for installation and connecting with IT about timing of install of software packages.

I have learned a lot in this job capacity in how my role plays with nursing and IT and other interdisciplinary team members to make sure the nurses are able to do their jobs much more efficiently.

Management allows me the opportunity to voice concerns or issues to assist in getting tasks completed. They stand ready to assist.

My co-workers are are team players

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the staff about BCMA issues and following up with them and they say,"I'm good now! Thanks – less
Very Fulfilling job
Social Service Assistant (Former Employee), White City, ORApril 8, 2014
Loved working with the veterans. The management was something to be desired though.
Productive, great place to work
Administrative Officer (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKApril 8, 2014
Pros: serving others, benefits
I enjoyed my 20 years with the VA. I went from Secretary to Administrative Officer. I felt is a pleasure to work for the veterans who had sometimes given their all for our country. My extra curriculum with the Employee Association gave me opportunities to serve my fellow employees as well. Management at times was challenging. I learned things I probably – more... would not have like EEO investigations, how the system works, and that everyone could do well and get ahead if they wanted to. My fellow employees were great to work with even those I did not agree with. I wish I had not moved and given up my position. I am still seeking employment with them. – less
Decent place to work
Department Secretary (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIApril 5, 2014
Enjoyed working with veterans, however, management was not always pleasant.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos