Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

Overall it wasnt a bad place. I enjoyed working with the veterans. Staffing wasnt the best.
CNA/CMA (Former Employee), Claremore, OKJanuary 19, 2015
It was alright for the most part. Always clean, everyone always treated the residents right as far as im concerned, we always got our showers, and other duties done, and our team work was great,
Re/max
Caregiver (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Great company to work for. Excellent people to work for an excellent work balance..
Great Workplace
Claims Processor (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2015
• Analyze a number of different documents, case files, and information systems
• Research and review open claims for disable veterans that include the addition
and/ or removal of spouse’s and/ or dependents
• Handing ingoing and outgoing phone calls
• Prepare comprehensive written technical reports and present findings
Horrible place to work
CNA (Current Employee), Lake City FlJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: no 15 min breaks constantly working under staff
I'm currently a CNA and have only been employed 2 years. I look forward into going back to school for my RN. Before I got this job I prayed and prayed about getting hired at VA. But like the old saying be careful what you prat for and you most definitely have to be specific what you pray for. The floor I work on is a nursing home and it's hard work!! We are always working short and we are having to lift heavy men I'm only 31 and I have back pain all the time. I currently seeking new employment. Because mentally and physically I can't do this. The nurses are unprofessional and will not help. If a call light goes off they will turn the other way. Management is very poor out of 2 years working we are just getting a supervisor for our unit. I'm very disappointed in VA and I do not recommend ANYONE TO WORK HERE GO TO MCDONALD'S FIRST!!!
Productive workplace; puts Veterans first
Progarm Analyst (Current Employee), West Haven, CTJanuary 16, 2015
Been with the Department of Veterans Affairs over 4.5 years
Culture values Veterans
Management is flexible and understanding
Co-workers get along well
Hardest part of job is advancement
Most enjoyable part of job is satisfaction of accomplishments
Various Positions (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 15, 2015
Working for the Veterans Affairs Medical Center was an excellent place to work and develop a career with a purpose.
Productive learnign environment
Social Work Intern (Current Employee), Baltimore, MarylandJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: parking, location
The VA offers challenging and growth opportunities. As a social work intern, I am able to be in different clinics and learn many different skills. I hope to find employment within the Veterans Administration.
Participating in the recovery of substance abusers
Veterans Justice Outreach Specialist (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 14, 2015
Meet with judiciary in getting access to eligible veterans and assist with their discharge from incarceration into the community. Perform SATP assessments and present to SATP for acceptance with their program. Once the SATP accepts referral seek admission into clean and sober housing with vocational assistance.

Met with judges and state judiciary workers to access services for veterans.

i enjoyed friendly relations with staff and community.

Being micro managed by superiors in San Francisco.

Seeing veterans succeed in their recovery.
challenging and upbeat.
Engineering Helper/Aide (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UtJanuary 14, 2015
I get to work and see what the tasks are and then plan my day accordingly to complete the tasks at hand
Secured job with little room to grow
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Iowa City, IAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: 401k, health benefits, job security
Cons: advancement, job hours, management
Although the VA is a great place to work, I didn't realize until I became apart of that workforce, that it would be so hard to advance. Had I know the "political" side of this job, I do not believe I would have accepted my job offer. The people you get to care for on a daily basis is humbling and insightful. However, it is also stressful, mentally challenging with little reward. There is too much segregation and it leaves you feeling as though you can never "feel comforted".
Lot of work. Good benefits. Job security are good
Benefits Officer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: benefits, job security
Cons: managment
I handle the benefits programs for over 4,000 employees. I have learned to establish priorities, multitask and meet deadline. My coworkers are the best. One big team, without which we could not get through a pay period.
VAMC
Claims Assistant (Current Employee), indianapolis, indianaJanuary 10, 2015
Flexible work hours covering major business portion of the day. Management is excellent about working with employees and their schedules. All of the people that work at the VA care about Veterans and work daily to improve the service we provide. The hardest part of the job is the volume of Veterans that need support daily. But that is also the most enjoyable part. Being able to help Veterans get quality service.
Love it here
RN Post-Discharge Case Manager Department (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I love working here. Definitely love being able to serve those who served.
My job is rewarding, I enjoy assisting the veterans obtain benefits.
Veterans Service Representative, (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: we get to help people receive benefits due to them.
Cons: not enough breaks
Obtaining and retrieving needed information or documents to assist the veteran and his dependents in order to be granted benefits.

The current laws and regulations from the updated last fast letters.

Sometimes its very difficult to understand some of there changes and requirements of the employees. Constantly making changes and moving employees from team to team.

Co-workers are great!! always ready to assist.

Not being able to obtain the needed information or documents in a timely manner. Due to a delay from another agency or facility.

When all the information or document are obtained and the veteran or his dependents are granted an award for benefits.
Work Experience
Nurse Technician (Former Employee), Lancaster, TXJanuary 5, 2015
Provide specialty services for children with special healthcare needs. Preparing and administering medications and feedings via g- tube and g- button. Charted on patients and taking vital signs, performed Activities for Daily Living. Transferred doctor orders to the medication administration record and provided comprehensively issues addressing the medical, therapeutic and psychosocial needs of the pediatric patient. Provided individual, professional, medical, nutritional and developmental care based on the child needs.
I can relate to the Veteran family and caregiver because I am a military spouse. I know what they are going thru. It's a plus when someone understand.
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 4, 2015
I learned so much from our Veterans and the program itself. I like the people I work because we are team player and we have a system that we all agreed to follow, it makes a job a bit easier. Hardest part is that Veteran doesn't get enough support from their family and that family are confuse or don't understand the system how it work. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I'm able to help them, talking to them and most of all is to receive a smile from them.
Veteran are wonderful to work with, clinical co-workers are competent and pleasant
4th Year Extern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 3, 2015
Pros:
- Structured work environment
- Compensation is competitive
- Opportunities for advancement
- Up to date technology
- Veterans are wonderful people to work with

Cons:
- Facilities are not kept well
- Understaffed
Valuable mission
Super Senior Veterans Representative (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 2, 2015
Valuable mission providing benefits to veterans. Most enjoyable part of the job is reviewing history through the eyes of US soldiers and their families.
VA
GRADUATE NURSE (Former Employee), Nashville, TNDecember 30, 2014
Best place I've ever worked. Perfect benefits and schedule flexibility as well as a very rewarding environment.
Federal employment
PC-MHI RN (Current Employee), Panama City, FLDecember 30, 2014
Please see USA Jobs for job reviews. VA employees veterans and provides many excellent benefits.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos