Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs United States Employee Reviews

No room for growth and promotion!
Program Support Clerk (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: it a little bit lay-back than private companies.
Cons: many lazy staff, and no room for growth!
The Department of Veterans Affairs is not a good place for growth. Promotions are also by "who you know" system, and seniority! They do not care if you have the potential or skills to benefit the agency. I am so disappointed. About to find my bearing and move up the ladder.
Leadership needs an overhaul;
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: comrodery with fellow veterans
Cons: nonveteran supervisors
Discrimination runs rampant in the supervisor roles. If no t a Veteran, how can you know what we went through? d and won. But, blacknballed at the VA
Great place for veterans
Program Support Administrator (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAFebruary 17, 2015
The hospital's mission it is fulfill the needs of every veteran that enters the hospital doors- their mission is always accomplished.
Working with Veterans
Administrative Officer (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 17, 2015
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs has been a blast. I enjoy the opportunity to serve my veterans and help to make their lives easier. Work is not easy but with the most current information you are able to do your job efficiently.
Program Support
Arizona VA Healthcare System Program Support (Current Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: federal benefits
Cons: short lunches
Program Support Assistant responsible for coordinating referral care for patients. Exhibits exceptional patient service to get veterans the healthcare that they need in the public sector. Communicates with professionals in over 50 medical specialties to coordinate referrals and appointments.
Collaborative preparation for return to work.
Participant Observer (Current Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 13, 2015
Participated in specialized training in adaptive technologies including computers, mobility and GPS devices.Ongoing assistance with adaptive technologies.
Professional service driven environment .
Veterans Claims Examiner (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: assisting those in need and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice
Cons: unable to provide more one on one assistane.
The primary function of Veterans is to provide excellent service to Service members, Veterans and the families of the fallen Soldiers.
A great place to work! I would have stayed if I could!
Supervisor Brian Lahti (Former Employee), Prescott, Az.February 12, 2015
Pros: good company, good people, good times.
Cons: job was only 6 months long, 4 hours a day, minimum wage.
I worked grounds keeping, so my job was different every day. I might be pushing, (or driving) a lawn mower, or I might be driving a snowplow! I even engineered and built a large rock retaining wall!
Enjoyable workplace
Registered Nurse Critical Care (Current Employee), Salem, VAFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: working with veterans
I have spent most of my career working at VAMC in critical care. I have enjoyed by work and the people I work with, but as a Family Nurse Practitioner I want to help people before they need critical care. I love preventative medicine.
little pay poor working conditions
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), new yorkFebruary 9, 2015
not enough pay
nothing to learn
supervisor was cool
co-workers threatend by my work ethic
no oportunity for edvancment
Enjoy working with and talking to fellow Veterans
Security Assistant (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 8, 2015
When I come to work everyday it is an adventure, you never know what you will have to deal with. I really enjoy my job. It is a fast pace environment dealing with Medical Codes and assisting Police in their daily duties.
All thats missing is the ping pong table
GHS file clerk (Current Employee), philadelphia, pa., 19104February 8, 2015
Pros: some of the people (few) that care.
Cons: don't let you put any cons in this space. so the only con i have are the ones running the place.
The place reminds me of Ben-Hur just keep on whipping the veterans till they listen and watch the laughing from the heads of states as they look thru their glass windows. Hey but what the heck we have another 2 story parking lot going up. I wonder if they remember to put an elevator in and check the weight caps. Faster to the ground. Maybe they should take the AFGE floor and let the vets rest there. Who are those people anyway? The most enjoyable part of a day is getting a smile or "can I help, i used to do that, too". A Veteran around 80 years of age still kicking it in.
Great Learning Experience
Internship-Public Affairs Officer (Former Employee), Clarksburg, WVFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: i could not have asked for better mentors to learn from to prepare me for
Cons: not being able to transfer to a full time job.
I was given countless opportunities to use my abilities to expand my education. I setup interviews with subject matter experts and kept all appointments. I needed to be a motivated, hard working person that could get assignments done without supervision. I had a variety of assignments such as internet and intranet articles, speech for the director, and the volunteer awards booklet.
transfering out of Dallas
Nursing Assistant Restorative care, (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: im an energetic worker always having a smile for everyone
Cons: i would like to work on my effeniciency more
Doing vital signs Blood sugars, feeding breakfast, I can use all the equipment available, Respect management, I work very well with coworkers,and help anywhere im needed, Loseing a Veteran Watching them heal,
Veterans Helping Veterans
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: secure job.
Cons: government politics.
Worked in the Emergency Room under moderate stressful conditions. Great Staff to work with. Worked nights 12 hour shifts. Enjoyed taking care of Vets in particular the older Vets as they had some great stories to tell.
The VA is a great place
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 5, 2015
The Department of Veterans Affairs takes care of their employees and encourages advancement. The VA not only helps the patients, but also wants the absolute best for their employees
Very unorganized
Front Desk Secretary (Former Employee), oklahoma state universityFebruary 4, 2015
I worked for Oklahoma State University. I filed paperwork. I also helped students get the right paperwork for their VA benefits for school. It was only a summer job that gave me more knowledge on organizing.
LIKE HELPING VETS, I AM ONE
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), Louisville, KYFebruary 4, 2015
I like to help veterans because I am a USMC Vet.
Do not care for the supervisors. The Vets seem appreciative
of the care I give them.
The workplace provided safe environment and benefits but did not provide a satisfactory method of providing services to the veterans and their familie
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee), St Paul, MNFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: there are no pros to this job except being overpaid for the work performed.
Cons: cons for this job are too numerous to mention, if a person has compassion and honest desire to do the job correctly.
Daily work was satisfactory with the normal 8 to 10 hours per day. Co-workers were receptive, supportive, and positive. The hardest part about doing the job was not being able to complete services to veterans and their families in adequate and honest way. No part of the job was enjoyable. Management is nonexistent with untrained, uneducated, self-serving persons selected based upon their friendship with other managers.
Overall decent workplace
Mental Health Patient Services (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 3, 2015
Working at the VA is great for those whole like an easier pace. Harder to advance in certain areas if you dont know the right people.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Salaries

$38,408 per year
Attendant Counselor
$2,618 per month

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

I am privileged and honored to be of service to all Veterans in need.
My nurse having way too much fun.
Navy Ball with Navy and Marine personnel