DEPARTMENT OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT Employee Reviews in United States

skip it, your sanity will thank you
Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 17, 2016
After you pass through all the training, you are shoved into a cube farm and handed case after case to resolve. You would be doing your job according to the law; however, depending on what mood the managers were in, it might not be enough. I have never seen such a poorly managed facility. It was like being in high school.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
management
As a Contractor, it was a challenging place to work
CPS Technician (Former Employee) –  201 East Washington Ave. Madison, WisconsinFebruary 7, 2016
The best thing I liked about the job was the fact that I was helping thousands of people receive the benefits and assistance they needed.
Pros
The work is easy
Cons
The work hours
Great place for those looking for career counseling
Volunteer Technical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 15, 2015
The QCC has many resources for anyone who's interested in looking for it. The one thing people misunderstand is that they are not a recruitment agency, nor are they the agency to resolve your unemployment matters. If you actively listen and attend all the classes suggested, you should walk away with some new information.
Typical Day
Purchasing Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 14, 2015
Get to work and there is only work left over from the day before due to I was not in a position that got overtime so everyone in my department had to put in 7.5 hours and leave for the day. Most days I would eat lunch at my desk to get as much work done.
My work involved inputing invoices into PeopleSoft and getting them ready to pay. I was also in charge of making sure that the purchase orders that I received from Procurement matched what was in the system and set them up to be paid. Payments were set up on a daily basis and sent over to the Auditor of State's office for payment on a daily basis. The Auditor had 35 business days from receipt of invoice to pay the vendor.
I worked for the government so management was tense a lot of the time.
The hardest part of the job were the co-workers. They liked to talk about people behind their back. So, you never knew who your friends or your enemies were.
The most enjoyable part of my job was that even though sometimes I had to leave work on my desk, more often than not I went home with a clean desk. Hard work does pay off.
Pros
State holidays, and excellent healthcare
Cons
Election year and new administratons
Unemployment Benefits Specialist 1 - Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 11, 2015
Tough Job, however flexible with different learning styles and independent work flow. Must be good at multi-tasking and have great organization skills.
Great co-workers dedicated to improving the workforce system for employers.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 23, 2015
The Department of Workforce Development is an agency interested in innovation and customer service. By making employers the primary customer of the organization DWD is transforming the way that it does business.
Typical day at work
PROGRAM SPECIALIST 5 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 21, 2015
Over all, I enjoy my job and my co-workers but I just feel that there is no room for advancement. There is never money in the "budget" for raises.
Pros
all major holidays are paid time off
Cons
no room for advancement
It's a good place
C# .Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 6, 2014
This is a good place to work i think it's very nice i will be working on updating all of the information on my account soon i just wanted to put it out there for now
Mismanaged office
Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 1, 2014
Top manager not an effective manager. Low pay for high demand work.
Ok
Unemployment Insurance Program Assistant Sr (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 3, 2014
It was a nice place to work it just to political when it comes to raises and benefits
Front Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMay 27, 2014
responsible for answering muliple phone lines ata time
assisted clients on how to sign in as they enter facility for services
directed clients to approriate office for assistance after signing in
responsible for making sure supplies were stocked for front office
managed 10 computer stations in front lobby for client use
I love the people I worked always positive
Program Specialist 5 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2014
Typical work day but enjoyed the people I worked with. I worked for the State Of Indiana serving Indiana Hoosiers
benefits
Cons
pay
Alot less drama
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Auburn, INAugust 23, 2013
This is where it started.... life was good. There was not as much drama at this level of employment.
Productive,Fun place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 21, 2013
A typical work day consist of typing letters regarding claimants receiving unemployment. Which the letter would advise the claimant if she/he would be eligible for unemployment benefits. I learned some ins/outs in the unemployment field. Management was a pleasure to work with. The co-workers were a joy to be around. There wasn't anything hard about the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was that you could work alone and be more productive during the day.
team work was excellent everyone helped each other
Job Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Bedford MassachusettsSeptember 22, 2012
i loved working for the Dept of Workforce Development everyday was different not boring. I provided good customer service to all that I met and enjoyed working with the public. The management was very helpful and we had good team work. The hardest part of the job at times was not being able to provide the service to clients if there was different circumstances preventing it. I enjoyed the helping of the customer and adding a little bit of hope in their daily lives.
Pros
enjoying the different areas of the job
Cons
not being able to do the best when different situations occured
Intermittent employment
Community Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INJune 5, 2012
Intermittent employment was ideal because I was going to college to obtain my Associates Degree in Business Management. The Intermittent employment allowed me to focus on my studies and to finish college with my Associate in Business Management Degree in July 2011. I have enjoyed working for Workforce Development of Indiana.
Pros
promoted to community employment specialist
Cons
community employment specialist, temporary position, on year to year grant.
A match human-made
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 16, 2012
This position was wonderful. I had a variety of projects all with different deadlines set by my boss. It allowed me to use creativity and priotitize my work load. I had the flexibility to choose my breaks. I was in an office directly helping the boss but when my load was lightened I was able to extend help to colleagues. I was able to set up interviews, learn a new database, prepare a huge conference. I loved multitasking and thinking on my toes.
Pros
flexibility or tasks and schedule, freedom to use creativity
Cons
differences with boss