DEPARTMENT OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Assisting Claimants (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 4, 2017
Working for the state is great. I worked for DWD and learned a bunch about the unemployment benefits. Everyone is very helpful there and always willing to help you learn.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Pay is rather small
Demanding, enjoyable, and family atmosphere
WIOA Adult Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lillington, NCNovember 18, 2016
The job is very demanding and you can get behind in your work very easily. Staff are like family, we care about everyone that comes in the door. Everyone is treated with respect and are helped with job search resume or assistance for upgrading thier training skills.
No chance for advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 16, 2016
This job went from customer oriented to making it so difficult for the customer that no one wanted to come in to the office. In fact it went from a one stop for employment/training/unemployment, to go home and do it yourself.
Loved it
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOOctober 10, 2016
I loved being able to work a variety of jobs. From answering phones and greeting clients to filing paperwork or shredding. Learned a lot from working here about secretarial work and office administration work
Great benefits, little opportunity to grow.
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WISeptember 19, 2016
The department of Workforce Development sounded like a great opportunity for me in the beginning. I liked the idea of helping people with disabilities, but I slowly started to resent my job when the work environment was led by a toxic and abusive director. The benefits no longer felt worth the low pay, and marginal opportunities for growth. I was denied more than twice by the current director of WDA2, to transfer to a different location with a different director. The caseload sizes are far too large to provide quality services to all the consumers. I didn't feel good about the work I was doing or about the environment I had to work in.
benefits
Cons
poor pay, poor leadership, poor opportunities for advancement
Department of Workforce Development
Consumer Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJuly 11, 2016
Excellent paid time off from the day you start working. A downside is their have not been any state employee raises in 6 years I am told since the states union was taken away from governor walker. You may only increase salary by promoting or transferring within the state to higher paying positions.
Pros
Great Paid Time Off Benefits
Cons
No raises for exemplinary performances reviews
I love being on the move all day constintly busy.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Union City, NJJuly 2, 2016
My typical day at work consist of being given a work site analyzing the area and deciding where to start so that I can get the job done on time and properly. I learned how to go about maintaining certain areas that are more heavily populated. I love being given a work site by management and trusted to do my job properly and accordingly. My fellow co-workers are always respectful & pleasant to work with. The hardest part of my job is being outside in different weather conditions. The most enjoyable part of my job is looking back at a days work and saying to myself I did that I helped keep this community clean and respectable.
Pros
Working for the city and helping to keep the community clean.
Cons
Not enough money to take care of family & being outside no matter what the weather.
skip it, your sanity will thank you
Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 17, 2016
After you pass through all the training, you are shoved into a cube farm and handed case after case to resolve. You would be doing your job according to the law; however, depending on what mood the managers were in, it might not be enough. I have never seen such a poorly managed facility. It was like being in high school.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
management
As a Contractor, it was a challenging place to work
CPS Technician (Former Employee) –  201 East Washington Ave. Madison, WisconsinFebruary 7, 2016
The best thing I liked about the job was the fact that I was helping thousands of people receive the benefits and assistance they needed.
Pros
The work is easy
Cons
The work hours
Govenment Agency
Employment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vincennes, INNovember 21, 2015
What do you expect?

I'm not allow to say much more.

They will sue me.

I did love what i did. I worked with people and helped them and this job was where i did good. I suceeded. But i got laid off. I was chosen "off a grid" but we all know my boss just didnt like me because I was too young.
Great place for those looking for career counseling
Volunteer Technical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 15, 2015
The QCC has many resources for anyone who's interested in looking for it. The one thing people misunderstand is that they are not a recruitment agency, nor are they the agency to resolve your unemployment matters. If you actively listen and attend all the classes suggested, you should walk away with some new information.
Typical Day
Purchasing Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 14, 2015
Get to work and there is only work left over from the day before due to I was not in a position that got overtime so everyone in my department had to put in 7.5 hours and leave for the day. Most days I would eat lunch at my desk to get as much work done.
My work involved inputing invoices into PeopleSoft and getting them ready to pay. I was also in charge of making sure that the purchase orders that I received from Procurement matched what was in the system and set them up to be paid. Payments were set up on a daily basis and sent over to the Auditor of State's office for payment on a daily basis. The Auditor had 35 business days from receipt of invoice to pay the vendor.
I worked for the government so management was tense a lot of the time.
The hardest part of the job were the co-workers. They liked to talk about people behind their back. So, you never knew who your friends or your enemies were.
The most enjoyable part of my job was that even though sometimes I had to leave work on my desk, more often than not I went home with a clean desk. Hard work does pay off.
Pros
State holidays, and excellent healthcare
Cons
Election year and new administratons
Unemployment Benefits Specialist 1 - Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 11, 2015
Tough Job, however flexible with different learning styles and independent work flow. Must be good at multi-tasking and have great organization skills.
Great co-workers dedicated to improving the workforce system for employers.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 23, 2015
The Department of Workforce Development is an agency interested in innovation and customer service. By making employers the primary customer of the organization DWD is transforming the way that it does business.
Typical day at work
PROGRAM SPECIALIST 5 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 21, 2015
Over all, I enjoy my job and my co-workers but I just feel that there is no room for advancement. There is never money in the "budget" for raises.
Pros
All major holidays are paid time off
Cons
No room for advancement
It's a good place
C# .Net Developer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 6, 2014
This is a good place to work i think it's very nice i will be working on updating all of the information on my account soon i just wanted to put it out there for now
Mismanaged office
Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 1, 2014
Top manager not an effective manager. Low pay for high demand work.
Ok
Unemployment Insurance Program Assistant Sr (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 3, 2014
It was a nice place to work it just to political when it comes to raises and benefits
Front Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMay 27, 2014
responsible for answering muliple phone lines ata time
assisted clients on how to sign in as they enter facility for services
directed clients to approriate office for assistance after signing in
responsible for making sure supplies were stocked for front office
managed 10 computer stations in front lobby for client use
I love the people I worked always positive
Program Specialist 5 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2014
Typical work day but enjoyed the people I worked with. I worked for the State Of Indiana serving Indiana Hoosiers
benefits
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DEPARTMENT OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9