DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE Employee Reviews

Great and exciting.
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 13, 2017
Really enjoyed my time with these guys. They are commited to doing a wonderful and safe job. They are true heroes in my eyes and they really take care of the environment.
Pros
Free food.
Cons
A lot of outdoor stays.
Productive and relaxed environment.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20004August 23, 2017
A typical day at work included gathering supplies/equipment for daily assignment. Learned how to prioritize, maintained management support; enjoyed workplace culture...interacting with diverse groups of people.

Hardest part of the job...gaining security/advancement.

Most enjoyable part of the job...meeting visitors and gaining work-related experiences from 'higher-level' co-workers.
Pros
Relaxed environment.
Cons
Security
How I feel about working at the DOI National Park Service
Program Planning Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
Rich experience supporting the National Park Service and learning about the volunteeer.gov website portal provided to the public enabling them to apply and register for opportunities that they may never get the opportunity to partake in at another destination. To meet female Rangers who enjoy their jobs and the service they provide to the public. Various offices work on vast tasks continuously and it is ever interesting the missions of the agency and how it stands to preserve our vast lands across many boundaries. Discovering the many partners the agency has to utilize additional services across state divides to bring together the rich culture, history and beauty of this land. I've enjoyed my experience working within the National Park Service of the Department of the Interior.
Wonderful place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TNJuly 4, 2017
Good place to work but no opportunity to be promoted. Wonderful staff and love what they do. I would have stayed if more opportunities would have been available.
Pros
Wonderful physical environment to work
Cons
Wasnt busy enough and no opportunity to be promoted
Enthusiastic, accepting, and tolerant workplace with good people to work with.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Port Alsworth, AKDecember 4, 2016
A typical day at work is fun and a learning experience. I didn't need any experience to get the job, I was able to learn on the job. I would meet new people and they would have their own projects. I would help them and learn how to do the work they do myself.

I've learn carpentry and how to build cabins and all the furniture they need inside. I've learned basic electrical work for housing and maintenance work. Finally plumbing, I've learn how to set pipes and drain sewage from leech fields.

My managers made sure we knew what we were doing and didn't hesitate to teach us new things and made sure the work place was safe.

All co-workers where exceptional, diverse and wonderful people to work with.

The hardest part of the jobs was going into the wilderness with minimum tools.

The most enjoyable part was going out into the wilderness and viewing all the mountains, rivers, and beautiful scenery.
Pros
It was near home
Cons
Too short of a work season