Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Good job opportunity
Maintenance Worker/Public Contact Rep (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAFebruary 24, 2017
I was hired as a temporary maintenance worker and given the opportunity to show my skills, knowledge, and experiences in performing job related tasks. This eventually lead into full time employment.
What You learned
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 24, 2017
I loved what I was doing the staff I was new employee and the staff treated my like they did not want me on the team. I really needed a job but being placed in dangerous situations all alone while staff went in teams was not the best for me.
Pros
work everyday was provided
Cons
staff was not friendly
Great Places Great Faces
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SD 57747February 15, 2017
Enjoyed working outdoors, job flexibility, great co-workers and supervisors to work with, easy to balance work and life. Take pride maintaining National Park.
Great workers, good work enviornment, always there to help, always laughs during work
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Love working with the crew i worked with. I had a group of guys who used to work in the unions, contractors. All with experience in the work field. Taught and trained me how to do carpentry, electrical, locksmith, masonry work. And can now implement small personal jobs to my own extent knowing some things.
Enjoyed every minute of it
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Natchez, LAFebruary 7, 2017
Working seasonal or temporary is only good for so long until you can get a permanent position. Besides that, it is a great group of people to work around and a very satisfying sense of achievement after every day of work.
Great place to work!
Staff Support (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDFebruary 6, 2017
A typical day at work was supporting the public via phone or walk-ins, and providing administrative support to Engineers, Archaeologists, Natural Resource Specialists, Legal Instrument Examiners and all Managers. The workplace culture was top notch and the training they provide keeps you learning all the time.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Great PLace to work
Range Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZFebruary 5, 2017
This was an exciting employment opportunity because I was able to travel the vast country and I was able to fight fire. The environment was decent and some of the employees are knuckleheads.
Receptionist-Temp
Receptionist-Temp (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 3, 2017
Great and safe work environment, with a great supervisor that get's the job done. Typical day included answering phones, redirecting phone calls, accepting packages, answering client questions, and maintaining a clean area.
Fun but dangerous
AD Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Cherokee, NCFebruary 2, 2017
Great job but very seasonal work. Long hours but very rewarding. Most hours are spent outdoors in inclement weather. Good on the job training. Can be hard to obtain permanent positions
Pros
Good training
Cons
Long hours a consecutive days
High speed low drag
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Prineville, ORJanuary 27, 2017
The Prineville BLM is ideal for those seeking a high paced, hazardous work environment. The work atmosphere was not hazardous, the actual job duties can be hazardous. Its each persons job to identify hazards.
Pros
physicality
Cons
Down time
Great Organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 21, 2017
I would go back to the Department of Interior if asked to work for them again. The management worked with individuals and it was just exciting to be a part of a great organization.
Great Experience and very Professional Employees
Range Technician (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVJanuary 12, 2017
No Typical days work here. Everyday is different and many days are incredibly strenuous. Hard work and very difficult degree of mental aptitude. Overall, amazing experience.
A competent group of propfessionals
Technical Writer/Course Developer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 10, 2017
I was impressed on a daily basis with the professional attitude of my coworkers and managers. While there were some bureaucratic issues at times, they never prevented us from achieving our mission.
Good seasonal work
Wildland Firefighter Type II (Casual) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Great seasonal work, able to work outside. Able to travel to different locations. Great workout and you meet many people from lots of different backgrounds.
Productive and fun work enviornment
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 4, 2017
Typical day of wok at the Bureau was incredibly organized and structured to enable a smooth workflow.

Learned about some federal procedures at a GS-4 level and managing shipments.

Management was welcoming and made me feel like part of a family

Coworkers were relaxed yet diligent

Hardest part of the job was overflow of work due to high shipment volume

Most enjoyable pa of the job was hanging around awesome coworkers who made the job feel less stressful
Work hard while enjoying great views
Student Laborer- Trails (Former Employee) –  Mammoth Hot Springs, WYDecember 27, 2016
Trail crew- 8 on 6 off, great scheduled. Get to meet people from all over. Great job for people who like to work hard and hike alot. You get to see the work you have done.
Pros
Great View, good people
Cons
NA
Nps
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYDecember 24, 2016
The National Park Service is excellent, both for employees and visitors. I enjoyed two seasons at one of the busiest National Park's in the country, but it can be very difficult to move up or get converted to a permanent position.
Government Fun
Contract - Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 22, 2016
It was a great place to work for. I loved being apart of the operations that help maintain the land and resources that we as Americans love so much.
Great
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fruita, CODecember 19, 2016
Would be perfect if it wasn't seasonal. Would love to work there forever. Coworkers are always nice and the view is always perfect. I just wish it was not seasonal.
productive and benficial
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manteo, NCDecember 16, 2016
Days were based upon what needed to get done nd changed daily. I learned a lot about habitats of animals and how to care for their homes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of the Interior. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2