Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employer Reviews

Law Enforcement Position
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee), Charlestown, MAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Ability to further my education.
Cons: Lack of face to face interaction with others.
In the summer-time the dispatch center is a hub of activity. We offer services to five different parks and over twenty officers on duty at any given time. Therefore, there is always something going on.
Enjoyed working with staff
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee), Mescalero, NMMarch 29, 2015
Enjoyed working with staff and students. Like to assist staff who are having difficulty with computers. Provide assistance where necessary.
Amazing place to work
Range Technician/Fire Logistics (Current Employee), Medford, ORMarch 27, 2015
Very flexible, make your own schedule. Very family orientated, management is great, pay not as good, hard to get a permit job.
Not the job for me
Clerk/intern (Former Employee), Billings, MTMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great pay/benefits
Cons: management in my department did not seem to have anyone's best interest in mind
It is a good job, if you are into government positions. I was an intern and decided I would try it out before picking a career. I realized I am not an office/cubicle person! The pay/benefits are fantastic! But, my manager was not very nice. Hardest part of the job is sitting all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close-knit, kind group of people.
Wonderful opportunity
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYMarch 9, 2015
Pros: being able to share nature with the public is great fun.
Cons: no benefits or permanent opportunity is lacking
Working in an environmental area is great. Teaching the youth about the environment and creating a garden was exciting. My co-workers had unlimited energy and creativity.
Working within a limited budget is a bit difficult. You want to do so much more for the students.
Arduous work with amazing views
Forestry Technician (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORMarch 8, 2015
A wild land fire fighter does not really have a typical day during fire season. I found my immediate supervisors fantastic, knowledgable and accommodating. The hand crew was made up of 90% veterans and a job well done was the last sentiment after a shift. I would continue to fight fire if the availability for advancement was better.
Great place to work with a staff of dedicated professionals.
Admin Support Clerk (Former Employee), Ashland, WIMarch 7, 2015
Pros: excellent work environment
Cons: no opportunity for advancement at all.
This particular Office is staffed with the highest caliber of personnel. They monitor and track flora and fauna in nine national parks throughout the great lakes region. The total teamwork environment makes going to work a pleasure.
Good for family
Supervisory Wildlife Inspector (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great upper management
Cons: no transfer/advancement
Not much variety or opportunities for advancement, but the overall culture is good for family life. If I could have moved to another part of the state in the same position, the job would have been ideal.
Internship Position
Cultural Resources Intern (Former Employee), Shenahdoah National ParkFebruary 23, 2015
This internship allowed me to explore many avenues within Shenandoah National Park. In the three months that I was there I learned many of the techniques conservators use at a living history museum.
Hard work but can be a lot of fun.
Receptionist/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Titusville, FLFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and friends.
Cons: short lunches
You meet many types of people and personalities in this work.
Many days are very busy and hectic but it pays off at the end of the day. You realize just what you can accomplish and how you handle people.
Management is easy to work with and very helpful.
I enjoyed meeting the different people.
Productive workplace with very nice people
Position as a clerk (Former Employee), Rock Springs, WYFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: two breaks a day, and plenty of lunch time, flexible hours, calm but fun work environment
Cons: indoors
My days were mostly filled with shredding paper, filing information, and scanning huge documents. It sounds boring, but I have always loved having something to do, and the small tedious jobs can be very enjoyable for me. I enjoyed the management, they were great people to talk to and very willing to answer questions. My co-workers were all very hard workers, and very fun to talk to. The hardest part of the job was that I spent most of my days inside, when the whether outside was warm and sunny. The most enjoyable part of the job were the days where I had more work to do. I don't like to sit around, and being able to work all day keeps me motivated and makes the days seem to go by faster.
Wildlife Biologist loves added responsibilities
Biological Science Technician (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2015
Great work experience with a lot of demanding, but rewarding elements. Allowed me to utilize an environmental education role that I previously had no experience in. And gave me many independent projects and management roles.
great location for work
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYFebruary 9, 2015
management are very friendly
they are not on your back as long as you get the job done
great location for work
get to meet a lot of people at work
I enjoyed working with customers and accounting
Secretary/Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Coolidge, AZFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: working with figures and balancing ledgers, working with customers, job security and excellent benefits
I loved working in the Accounting Division and it was very satisfying when I would balance the daily accounts. I challenged myself each and every day to balance the ledger on a first time attempt. Liked working with the customers. I kept the department in a jovial attitude, which was infectious and carried over to the customers. I loved my Supervisor, Jacquelyn Curley, although she held all of us to a very high standard, she was very fair and always had our backs with Management. She was very rewarding of our efforts and had an open door policy, which relieved some of the stress of working in an Accounting Department.
received multiple certifications with in the building
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Medford, ORFebruary 5, 2015
Executed daily operations of filing and organizing confidential records with strong organization and analytical skills. Made spreadsheets and entered payment and budget information with Excel, Access and Microsoft Word. Also Worked with FBMS entering data. Organized and stocked shelves for the warehouse. Received a certificate for successfully passing FISSA Privacy and Records Management. Provided administrative support for the department such as answering telephones, assisting visitors and receiving deliveries.
Structured, demanding environment
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDFebruary 5, 2015
This job provided me with the opportunities to challenge myself mentally and physically. Days ranged from eight to twenty-four hours of work in adverse conditions. I learned to manage my stress and physical stamina in extreme conditions.
Best job I've had my whole life, seriously.
Range Technician (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: 3 days off a week
Cons: seasonal only
Ride ATV's all day hunting noxious weeds and spraying them with chemicals.
Everyday Monday through Thursday work starts at 6am and typically are off around 430pm, 40 hours a week, no overtime.
Job only lasts 4 months though.
We were allowed to listen to music as we cruise the deserts of Idaho on four-wheelers.
Backcountry Park Ranger
Okay to contact this Supervisor, yes (Former Employee), Moose, WYJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: once in a life time
Cons: only four months
This was an great job a lot of contact with Park visitors. I got the oppertunity to experience some great country.
I enjoyed the diversity of the different applications of the park.
Work as the backcountry Ranger issuing backcountry camping permits. Selling federal Park Passes. Worked in the interpretive section of the visitors Center. The hardest job for me was the limited time I had to work at such a great park
Enjoyable work environment. Great relationships with customers and vendors.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Post Falls, IDJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: flexable hours, great work environment
Cons: small chance for advancement
I enjoyed working with this company. Everything from the customers to the vendors. It was a real learning experience. I answered telephones, took and imputed orders, assisted customers with their office supply needs.
Best job I've had
Trails Maintenance Laborer (Former Employee), Marblemount, WAJanuary 25, 2015
Working for Trail Crew with the National Park Service was the best job I've had. It was a lot of physically demanding work but because of my fellow crew members the hours blew past. I would love to be able to get back on again.

1 2 3 4 5