Department of the Interior Employee Reviews in United States

Demanding work place
Communications System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 8, 2016
Providing technical support for the special agents and maintaining
the DEA radio system. Learned a lot about law enforcement.
Management was ok. Co workers were the best. Hardest part of the job were long hours. Most enjoyable part was a successful criminal
case.
Pros
Cons
good benefits
Amazing all around
AIM Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 6, 2016
best job I have ever had though it was unfortunately a seasonal position. The company itself had great job security for full time workers as well as noteworthy benefits. The job itself was hard work but very fulfilling.
Pros
compensation, benefits, travel expenses paid, overall great pay, fulfilling job
Cons
occasional problems with the company vehicles
Great opportunity to learn new skills!
Education and Training, Wildland Firefighters (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 15, 2015
It was an amazing experience to associate with wildland firefighters (an incredible group of people). In coordinating training within the State of Utah, working with State and Federal organizations, I learned a lot and learned to work with an appreciate a 'work culture' previously unknown to me.
Pros
Good compensation, amazing people and chances to grow
Cons
Long, stressful work hours, especially on wildfires
Very Productive
Bus. Systems Analyst / Exec. Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 14, 2015
My direct manager was wonderful. She tried everything she could to get me on permanent, was like pulling teeth in the State Office, not because of work performance but because I had no military status. I held very good positions because of manager but was not paid for those positions. The experience was well worth it. I learned about project analysis and project management. Took courses held through the Federal Government for Federal Appropriations Law and Project Management. Assisted in multi-million dollars budgeting and database management in financing. If I could only rate Karla Norris...she was an exceptional manager.

Because I worked for the federal government most of us were not native to the area..different walks of life, great working with people from all over the united states.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
decisions from state office and DC who are unattached is not fair
Really enjoyed working with the department of interior
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mosca, COJanuary 18, 2016
This was an internship for me while I attended school. Loved the people I worked with, would have worked with no others. Learned to work with a team, learned how to use the machines and technology, and learned most importantly what it is like to have a fun job. The hardest part of the job is standing on the feet for long hours. The most enjoyable part of working is of course the work atmosphere. The coworkers are a blast to work with, who genuinely love their jobs and it was such a privilege and honor to be part of the park service. Would definitely recommend. Have to be patient, that is part of the job, and how to handle the very rare nasty visitor that comes into the park.
Cartographer, Land Law Clerk, Conveyance Examiner, Drafter
catographer (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 14, 2016
My job with Bureau of Land Management gave me many job experiences. I learned how to multi task in the public room helping customers with oil and gas accounts and land law transactions, as a Land Law Clerk. I also, researched many land cases for property and property ownership and boundaries using Legal Land description.
I learned how to be detailed oriented being a Cartographer, portraying mapping skills and transferring them into the computer systems (AutoCad, Excel, ARCvu, and Arcmap, Meta Data).
Pros
8-5 job, hour lunch break, paid time off
Cons
poor communication in different departments
Department of Interior Las Cruces
Environmental Protection Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 15, 2016
Just retired from the military. Nothing like the military. There is no communications between anyone. Everyone does not have thick skin and can not take corrective criticism. I walk miles almost every other day with no chance at a promotion or a permanent job.
Pros
Government Job
Cons
Everyone is stuck up. Not the military. No structure or communication.
Awesome experience and application of my education
Biological Technician (Former Employee) –  Huron, SDFebruary 17, 2016
This was an amazing experience. It allowed me to apply much of the knowledge I have learned during my collegiate career to the real world and taught me even more. I learned about the realities of field sampling that they cannot teach in the classroom and it also gave me federal certifications and relationships that will help for the future.
Rewarding Career Opportunities
Southern Nevada Recreation Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 24, 2016
Although my work in the federal service has been incredibly rewarding and my career has continuously progressed, my passion lies in community engagement and meeting the needs of the people within my community. My ability to lead is the richest when I am focused on leading a team that is focused on building a better future for youth, families and the surrounding communities.
I enjoyed working with customers and accounting
Secretary/Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Coolidge, AZFebruary 5, 2015
I loved working in the Accounting Division and it was very satisfying when I would balance the daily accounts. I challenged myself each and every day to balance the ledger on a first time attempt. Liked working with the customers. I kept the department in a jovial attitude, which was infectious and carried over to the customers. I loved my Supervisor, Jacquelyn Curley, although she held all of us to a very high standard, she was very fair and always had our backs with Management. She was very rewarding of our efforts and had an open door policy, which relieved some of the stress of working in an Accounting Department.
Pros
working with figures and balancing ledgers, working with customers, job security and excellent benefits
not a good agency to work for
Biological Science Technician, (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMay 26, 2016
The DOI is one of many Government agencies that represent the worst that the Federal Government has to offer. The have taken full time positions and re defined them as term positions or seasonal positions. Advancement is impossible unless you are on the "in" with the agency. Nepotism is rampant and pay is low.
Pros
work outside
Cons
low pay, nepotism, poor leadership, zero chance for advancement
It is a great place to work.
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UT 84790April 25, 2016
A typical day is 8 hours. I have a great boss and co workers I enjoy working with. I am constantly learning new things, which I like to do. The hardest part of the job is being interupted while I am in the middle of a project, because I like to see my jobs through. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility, the people I work with, and that I like what I am doing.
Doi/aqd
Contract Specialist II on Assignment (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJanuary 23, 2016
Department of the Interior/Acquisition Services Directorate has issues including bullying, false reports against employees allowed to be filed, HR is a joke she is extremely unprofessional and uses power to push individuals around and they act and interfere with contractors gaining success. DOI has major problems with GS 12 and higher employees throughout the organization.
Pros
Obtain a variety of education if driven to do so
Cons
HR, Division Chief, Contracting Officers using false complaints to rid competition
Not the job for me
Clerk/intern (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 16, 2015
It is a good job, if you are into government positions. I was an intern and decided I would try it out before picking a career. I realized I am not an office/cubicle person! The pay/benefits are fantastic! But, my manager was not very nice. Hardest part of the job is sitting all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close-knit, kind group of people.
Pros
great pay/benefits
Cons
management in my department did not seem to have anyone's best interest in mind
Great place to work with great job advancement
District Hydrologist (Former Employee) –  Ely, NVMay 24, 2016
Working for the Department of the interior is great. Its difficult to get in and often people have to live in less desirable locations to get their foot in the door, but it's worth it.
Pros
Good pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Hard to get a job with them
Great Place
Petroleum Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 20, 2016
Really great place to work in and a great work environment. There is a lot of work to do, everyday is different challenge. The way the department is managed is perfect.
Pros
you only work your 40 hours
Cons
the salary is lower than what it should be.
Tedious intern work
Master Title Plat Intern (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 6, 2016
This position has been an exercise of my patience. The work I have been given, while important, is tedious and simple and is the main reason I wish to find a more fulfilling position either within the DOI or elsewhere.
Worked with wonderful office and field personnel. They were always willing to help you learn.
Senior Lead Law Enforcement Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Boulder City, NVDecember 18, 2014
Loved the job. Helping others to solve their problems and meeting the field personnel was excellent. Would go into work on own when things were backed up or for a holiday. Management was minimal or non-exsistant. Co-workers were always there to help and work when needed. The hardest part of the job was calming people down who were involved with the injury of a child. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping someone who needed it.
Pros
were the extra money and compensation you got when working holidays.
Cons
management could have been a lot better.
Employment
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Elverson, PASeptember 30, 2015
Working for the National Park Service is rewarding. However, job security is non-existent due to the fact that higher level management does not utilize proper assessments on how to employ and maintain solid workers. They promise you full time employment then furlough employees at a cyclic rate to "save" money while at the same time ignore critical problems within the parks.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
management
A great Career for raising a family
Facility Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Canyon National Park, AZMay 12, 2016
Being a National Park Ranger has its merits it's an experience few people get to enjoy. The work/Life balance is truly amazing and emphasis is always on family first.

Department of the Interior Reviews by Location