Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

short term job
Water truck driver (Former Employee) –  Glamis, CAOctober 25, 2016
only worked two weeks, hard work, driving time. it sucks to only work two weeks at temp job. was looking for full-time job with benefits
Great Place
Petroleum Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 20, 2016
Really great place to work in and a great work environment. There is a lot of work to do, everyday is different challenge. The way the department is managed is perfect.
Pros
you only work your 40 hours
Cons
the salary is lower than what it should be.
Demanding work place
Communications System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 8, 2016
Providing technical support for the special agents and maintaining
the DEA radio system. Learned a lot about law enforcement.
Management was ok. Co workers were the best. Hardest part of the job were long hours. Most enjoyable part was a successful criminal
case.
Pros
Cons
good benefits
Everybody wants to be a Ranger!
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Florissant, COSeptember 27, 2016
The best part of this job is being a National Park Service Ranger. Everyone who comes in says "you're so lucky to have this job!!" To do it well it means working hard, spending a lot of hours of preparing programs and sometimes, waiting for hours on a ridgeline for wildlife that decide to go somewhere else on a whim.
The vast majority of the jobs the the NPS are seasonal, summer type jobs, so that's one reason you'll see a lot of retirees as Park Rangers. When you only have work for 6 months a year, you need a 2nd source of income. There are generally very few people out in the parks who don't really want to be there, so the working environment is great.
To look for NPS jobs, you have to find them on USAJobs, the Government's official website. Search where you want to work and be sure to tailor your USAJobs resume specifically to the opening you are applying for.
Pros
Working outdoors, being with nature
Cons
seasonal work, hard to find openings
Amazing all around
AIM Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 6, 2016
best job I have ever had though it was unfortunately a seasonal position. The company itself had great job security for full time workers as well as noteworthy benefits. The job itself was hard work but very fulfilling.
Pros
compensation, benefits, travel expenses paid, overall great pay, fulfilling job
Cons
occasional problems with the company vehicles
Productive, hard working, everyone helps eveyone kind of workplace
Maintenance / Camp grounds worker (Former Employee) –  Glennallen, AKSeptember 12, 2016
on certain days I would go in and do maintenance at the main office fixing things like electrical problems, Repairing buildings, Installing siding on buildings, Installing Instillation under buildings, and on days im not at office I would go out to camp grounds and keep up with the camp grounds and fix and repair things such as fixing broken door handles, Installing water pumps, Installing solar panels, Installing hot water heaters
Pros
Good enviroment and positive all the way around
Cons
Short breaks and health care
Very Productive
Bus. Systems Analyst / Exec. Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 14, 2015
My direct manager was wonderful. She tried everything she could to get me on permanent, was like pulling teeth in the State Office, not because of work performance but because I had no military status. I held very good positions because of manager but was not paid for those positions. The experience was well worth it. I learned about project analysis and project management. Took courses held through the Federal Government for Federal Appropriations Law and Project Management. Assisted in multi-million dollars budgeting and database management in financing. If I could only rate Karla Norris...she was an exceptional manager.

Because I worked for the federal government most of us were not native to the area..different walks of life, great working with people from all over the united states.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
decisions from state office and DC who are unattached is not fair
Great
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2016
Excitimg career choice nevera dull moment. Damgerous but rewarding. Tons of opportunities for growth. Senior officers are nice and very open with help and leading new officers
The most challenging job you will love
Trail and camp ground maintenance tech (Former Employee) –  Blanding, UTSeptember 5, 2016
The system includes 413 areas covering more than 84 million acres in every state, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. These areas include national parks, monuments, battlefields, military parks, historical parks, historic sites, lake shores, seashores, recreation areas, scenic rivers and trails, and the White House.
Pros
working with different pepole from other contries
Cons
Dynamic of the office was outstanding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 27, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for DOI. The work was challenging at times, but always enjoyable. My coworkers and management were so easy to get along with that it made my job much more enjoyable.
Pros
Office Dynamic
Cons
N/A
Great opportunity to learn new skills!
Education and Training, Wildland Firefighters (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 15, 2015
It was an amazing experience to associate with wildland firefighters (an incredible group of people). In coordinating training within the State of Utah, working with State and Federal organizations, I learned a lot and learned to work with an appreciate a 'work culture' previously unknown to me.
Pros
Good compensation, amazing people and chances to grow
Cons
Long, stressful work hours, especially on wildfires
The people worked with were professional and excellent to work with.
Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MINovember 20, 2016
The best people I have ever worked with and would like to stay but I must work on 100 ton vessel to advance my license. I have worked there for two years and have enough time to upgrade to 1600 Mate. Would like to get more time on 100 ton vessel to upgrade to 500 ton Master.
Pros
Plenty of underway time
Cons
Seasonal - furloughed November through March
good job
Painter (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CONovember 4, 2016
good job just needs better job security. however work is starting to heat up so overall a great place to work. a typical day would be getting to job setting up equipment and taking care of business.
A great learning experience!
Seasonal Park Ranger (Interpretive) (Former Employee) –  Potomac, MDDecember 2, 2016
I only worked with the NPS for a summer. The entire summer was full of fun and learning experiences. They had a lot of things for us to do on the weekends when we weren't working such as traveling to different parks, learning about the NPS, going to DC, among other exciting experiences. I would love to work for them again.
Cons
Management is aweful. They only care about themselves and getting promoted.
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Tok, AKDecember 1, 2016
Management is aweful. They only care about themselves and getting promoted. Management doesn't care about the actual workers.
Long running project comes to an end.
Senior Windows Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 23, 2016
Learned how to get things done in a GOV environment. It is different than Commercial workflow. I also gained the experience of a Nation wide collaboration of combined systems and people.
Pros
Ownership of a project's outcome is dependent on individual ethics.
Cons
Ownership of a project's outcome is dependent on individual ethics.
Rewarding Career Opportunities
Southern Nevada Recreation Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 24, 2016
Although my work in the federal service has been incredibly rewarding and my career has continuously progressed, my passion lies in community engagement and meeting the needs of the people within my community. My ability to lead is the richest when I am focused on leading a team that is focused on building a better future for youth, families and the surrounding communities.
not a good agency to work for
Biological Science Technician, (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMay 26, 2016
The DOI is one of many Government agencies that represent the worst that the Federal Government has to offer. The have taken full time positions and re defined them as term positions or seasonal positions. Advancement is impossible unless you are on the "in" with the agency. Nepotism is rampant and pay is low.
Pros
work outside
Cons
low pay, nepotism, poor leadership, zero chance for advancement
I loved helping people
Wildland Firefighter specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 24, 2016
I really enjoyed saving people lives and property. It gave me a sense of happiness and joy knowing that I help someone who need it my help. I enjoy traveling seeing nice forest and other towns that I never seen before. Enjoy seeing animals in the wild.
Pros
saving lives
Cons
missing family fighting fire going on long trips
Great place of work
Budget and Financial Analysis Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2016
Great place of business. Room for growth and learning. Great opportunities. Great atmosphere. I loved this place. They really do work with your ideas as an individual although they are a large company

Department of the Interior Reviews by Location