Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Survey Technician (Former Employee), Monte Vista, COJune 30, 2015
This should coincide with the survey tech position at the BLM. But great work and home life balance. Great work schedule.
Bureau of Land Management/Colorado River Valley Field Office
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee), Silt, COJune 29, 2015
Pros: Food provided by management at each staff meeting
Cons: A LOT of personalities create lots of challenges.
Working for the government for 29 years, is a great accomplishment. Government is always changing. New procedures/policies/regulations and new vendors. This is the hard part. Once you have a system – more... under your belt, a NEW system comes and it's learning all over again. Staff are needy, Management doesn't follow-up, but we get along well.

I love the budget, so dealing with money makes me happy. I like providing solutions to problems that occur on a day to day basis.

I have great friends and long to retire in 10 years. – less
Cool and interesting place
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 29, 2015
The Department of the Interior was an interesting place to go and visit through the National Park Service, the workers were really nice and friendly. So they made my experience that much better.
Lack of Management Interaction
FOIA/PA Appeals Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 19, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
- Busy all the time
- I learned to process an appeal from beginning to end.
- Horrible management style. Lack of communication/interaction between management and subordinates.
- Co workers are friendly and helpful.
The hardest part is when supervisor isn't around for questions/advise and this is 3-4 days a week.
- None that I can remember
Summer job
Trail Blazer (Former Employee), auberry,caJune 17, 2015
Pros: working as a team
Cons: too hot
There's nothing like working in the 100 degree weather to make new walkways for the San Joaquin river. It's hot and miserable but a good way to learn some work ethics.
Youngest Employee
Planner (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 5, 2015
At 27 I was virtually the youngest employee in the entire place. The workers here have definitely aged in place and are not retiring. Need new people, new ideas and new enthusiasm. This place is not progressing like a competitve 21st Century company. It is stuck in old ways and people work very little.
Extremely important and visable to 25 million vistors each year.
Gardener (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 3, 2015
Pros: Gorgeous scenery, talking with visitors to the parks' memorials, Learning the real History behind the memorials
Cons: Bad management, Low morale
While working at the National Park Service, I saw a lot of mis-management of equipment and tools. But overall, it was a great place to work, most everyone was very nice and had extensive knowledge of – more... the Memorials that are so important to America.
Typically, on an average day I would pick up litter and garbage. Then on to landscaping/gardening duties that included edging, mowing, weed-eating, pulling weeds from the flower beds in and around the Washington Monument and all of the Memorials. I was in charge of driving a crew of up to 7 people to their duty location around the Tidal basin. Lead volunteer groups up to 200+ people.
Conducted required weekly safety meetings. – less
Department of Interior
Material Handler (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 27, 2015
Great place to work. The bad side was management never seemed to be involved with the day to day operations and in my position there was no room for advancement. If i had been in a different position i may have stayed for the long haul.
Intern
Environmental/GIS Intern (Current Employee), Denver, COMay 25, 2015
As an intern, I've been given many opportunities to move around branches and work on projects that interest me. Everyone is very nice and easy going. Many employees are willing to help in the process of choosing a career path. Overall, great place to work while just starting out as an intern.
Able to continue education in the related field
Biological Science Technician GS-0404-05 (Current Employee), Porter, INMay 4, 2015
This position allowed me to further my education and skill set in the related field. I was able to achieve several certifications while employed with this organization.
Good place for Interns but not for serious career motivated people
Biological Technician (Current Employee), MauiMay 4, 2015
Pros: Good work to life ratio
Cons: Inexperienced management and employees
I have worked as a manager/foreman for almost 11 years before accepting a job here but as I have been working here I have seen nothing but poor management, bad allocation of resources, poor work ethic, – more... and poor treatment of those who actually work with reward and credit given to those who do little to nothing. My managers know little to nothing about their jobs or managing, which has taught me nothing useful for my future career in natural resources. I am one who believes strongly in team work but unlike the management at this job I can also see where doing every little thing as a team can actually slow things down and be unproductive. Co-workers are lazy and prefer to make those who are willing to work hard do all the work. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the very inexperienced employees who are not supervised and allowed to do what they want all day. However there is a good work to life ratio and a lot of outside and physical work, which I thoroughly enjoy. – less
Field work in the AZ desert: endangered fish surveys
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMay 3, 2015
This volunteer position allowed me to add field experience to my background, which I need to get an idea of what working in the field will entail in my potential future research. This included going out – more... into the desert areas in Benson, Sierra Vista, Eloy and surrounding localities, repairing habitats, checking pond water chemical levels at different times of day/before and after rain, surveying endangered and invasive species, and recording the data for the Bereau of Land Management.
I enjoyed the work we did and saw the diversity of the AZ desert fish species in person-something which made me realize the importance of an ecological system that few people give a second thought. – less
Bettles is a bust...
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Bettles NPSApril 28, 2015
Pros: It's dynamic and beautiful, the northern lights
Cons: The NPS management and the mosquitoes !!!
Hired as Maintenace Mechanic WG7. Was placed on the job with no training. The Bettles NPS/USFW Joint Use Facility is staffed year-round by three rotational staff; an Interp. Ranger and two Maintenace workers – more... of which I was one. Your supervisor is 250 miles south in Fairbanks and will not spend the time nor money to facilitate your on-boarding into DOI. I struggled to understand NPS policies, procedure and practices. Safety oversight and trading did not exist and the potential hazards at this facility are many and unmitigated due to lack of manpower and priority.

I struggled to communicate with my supervisor as he believed in a dictatorial management style. Rarely, if ever, listening to concerns, questions relating to work tasks and often forgetting phone conversations and verbal directions. You will be told you'll be given the "tools to succeed" but will find them lacking explanation, direction and training. Cover your A** with emails!

The long-term Bettles DOI employees will criticize you, manipulate information and misinform your supervisor of your work efforts because they are threatened by your presence. Don't expect to fit in.

You will enjoy the community if you are a down to earth and honest soul. Don't take your job along to community events. The hardest part of the job is the timekeeping and work order system and it will challenge your ability to do the job you are expected to perform. Be aware that upper management will not support you and side always with your supervisor. They are from the same NPS clan and will look out for each other.

Otherwise, a beautiful place to work and live.

It is REMOTE fly in fly out...only! I lodge, I small store, one good group of folks and a few who've been in the bush too long! – less
Fun, productive experience
Summer Youth Employment, Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee), washington, DCApril 23, 2015
It was something new to me. It was my first job in a office and I loved the environment, I loved typing, copying paper, filing paper, being behind a desk. I loved all of it. I want to do it again.
Good
Foreman, Vegas Valley Handcrew (Current Employee), Las VegasApril 12, 2015
2015 Fire Season
Position; Supervisory Range Technician (Fire) GS-8
I was fortunate to accept a Career Seasonal Position with the Southern Nevada District of the BLM in Las Vegas. I am currently the – more... Assistant Superintendent of the Vegas Valley Handcrew, which is one of the agency’s Veteran Crews. My primary duty is to provide fireline supervision during all stages of response to wildland fire emergencies. The fire environment is a dangerous and dynamic workplace I must provide leadership and direction to my subordinates. Together we recognize hazards and implement safety procedures to mitigate risk and complete work assignments. I supervise the handcrew in administrative capacities as well and must communicate and interact with internal and external personal to provide consistent operation of the crew. During incidents I have to evaluate conditions, determine the appropriate actions, and implement tactical decisions. The crew is a Type 2IA Handcrew and may function as an intact crew or in multiple modules. The position requires me to execute complex burn projects in a wide variety of fuel types and perform complex firing operations on wildfire incidents. Most of these duties include strenuous physical activity. The crew works to stabilize emergencies under adverse environmental conditions and over extended periods of time. Due to these workplace conditions it is important that the entire module practices excellent physical and mental preparedness. I am responsible for the physical training program of the crew and demand the highest performance of myself and the crew. My goal is to train, learn, and practice together to become the most productive and cohesive unit possible. I am excited for the challenges and opportunities that this position will present. I look forward to contributing to the crew’s and district’s futures. – less
Seasonal Employee
Facility Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Grand Canyon, AZApril 8, 2015
Life a Seasonal isnt always the best, but its an opportunity to get your foot in the door to a great career. I have a family and children, so for me, its hard to stay in seasonal housing or shared quarters. – more... I cannot accept most appointments because of my family situation. The money is good and has a potential to be great given the right circumstances. This is a great place to work and have a career if you enjoy the outdoors, desolate locales, and are in a position to accept anything for housing. Enjoy it if you have the chance to do so. – less
Good place to work and challenging at times
Contract Specialist, DOI (Former Employee), Hoquiam, WAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed being my own boss
Cons: Unable to advance my career with the bureau.
Check voicemail and discuss daily tasks with boss. Check for invoices to be processed. Inventory supplies and check incoming shipments for completeness, any damage and process receiving report or claims. – more... Processed Purchase Order. Inspected construction projects and reported findings. I learned about the culture of theBureau and ways of doing business. My co-workers were friendly and we worked well together. The hardest part of the job was insuring small businesses were paid in a timely fashion. Hardest part of the job was knowing there was no room for advancement because I was not native american in whole or in part.
I enjoyed learning the native american culture and visiting the reservations. – less
Law Enforcement Position
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee), Charlestown, MAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Ability to further my education.
Cons: Lack of face to face interaction with others.
In the summer-time the dispatch center is a hub of activity. We offer services to five different parks and over twenty officers on duty at any given time. Therefore, there is always something going on.
Enjoyed working with staff
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee), Mescalero, NMMarch 29, 2015
Enjoyed working with staff and students. Like to assist staff who are having difficulty with computers. Provide assistance where necessary.
Amazing place to work
Range Technician/Fire Logistics (Current Employee), Medford, ORMarch 27, 2015
Very flexible, make your own schedule. Very family orientated, management is great, pay not as good, hard to get a permit job.

1 2 3 4 5