Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Excellent working environment and great leadership
Senior Security Analyst/Engineer (Current Employee), Washington DCAugust 18, 2015
Excellent working environment and great leadership. The DOI is a very large agency that oversees the U.S Geological Survey, and the Department of Parks and Recreation to name a few.
great place to work
maintenance mechinac (Former Employee), Fredericksburg VAAugust 15, 2015
Meeting a lot of different people. learning a lot of different things not associated with the job. Made potable water for the National Park Service.
Very Productive
Bus. Systems Analyst / Exec. Admin. Assistant (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: decisions from state office and DC who are unattached is not fair
My direct manager was wonderful. She tried everything she could to get me on permanent, was like pulling teeth in the State Office, not because of work performance but because I had no military status. I held very good positions because of manager but was not paid for those positions. The experience was well worth it. I learned about project analysis and project management. Took courses held through the Federal Government for Federal Appropriations Law and Project Management. Assisted in multi-million dollars budgeting and database management in financing. If I could only rate Karla Norris...she was an exceptional manager.

Because I worked for the federal government most of us were not native to the area..different walks of life, great working with people from all over the united states.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Volunteer (Former Employee), Carlsbad, NMAugust 6, 2015
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: wished I would have been able to get hired as a full time employee
I learned so much about our land, rights, and enjoyed all the work that I was responsible for and all the departments I was able to assist during my volunteer work with the Bureau of Land Management.
Plenty of promotion from within
Biological Technician (Wildlife) (Current Employee), Salem, ORAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Working outdoors
Cons: An unpaid lunch that's taken on the job
The BLM is an exciting place to work where the people know their jobs and can be counted on to help out if asked. The management shows concern for their workers and allows them to do their jobs without micromanagement.
AMAZING
Marketing Intern (Current Employee), Tuskegee, Institute - Tuskegee AlabamaJuly 28, 2015
An awesome experience with awesome people! This is a great place to grow and create an enjoyable profession. The work load can become very demanding but it is all worth it.
Had a very good career, looking to continue after retirement
Incident Commander & investigator & Park Ranger (Former Employee), Bushkill, PA & Layton NJ areasJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Fairly good money
Cons: Call outs, family life suffered
Was a very good career. Changing residence to New Hartford, NY area. Able to take position within commuting distance from this location.
great outdoors work environment and hard working
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee), Fort Defiance, AZJuly 15, 2015
Pros: great environment in the forest
Cons: very tiring
hard work on the line doing construction of fire line and using methods to extinguish the flames. I have learned the duties of an emergency wildland fire fighter and a squad boss. taking care of each other like family. co workers are very hard working and put out 110%. hardest part of the job was the long days on the line sometimes 24 hour shifts. most enjoyable part of the job was doing the hot lining running straight into the flames to protect wildlife and surrounding towns.
Survey Technician (Former Employee), Monte Vista, COJune 30, 2015
This should coincide with the survey tech position at the BLM. But great work and home life balance. Great work schedule.
Bureau of Land Management/Colorado River Valley Field Office
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee), Silt, COJune 29, 2015
Pros: Food provided by management at each staff meeting
Cons: A LOT of personalities create lots of challenges.
Working for the government for 29 years, is a great accomplishment. Government is always changing. New procedures/policies/regulations and new vendors. This is the hard part. Once you have a system under your belt, a NEW system comes and it's learning all over again. Staff are needy, Management doesn't follow-up, but we get along well.

I love the budget, so dealing with money makes me happy. I like providing solutions to problems that occur on a day to day basis.

I have great friends and long to retire in 10 years.
Cool and interesting place
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 29, 2015
The Department of the Interior was an interesting place to go and visit through the National Park Service, the workers were really nice and friendly. So they made my experience that much better.
Lack of Management Interaction
FOIA/PA Appeals Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 19, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: None
- Busy all the time
- I learned to process an appeal from beginning to end.
- Horrible management style. Lack of communication/interaction between management and subordinates.
- Co workers are friendly and helpful.
The hardest part is when supervisor isn't around for questions/advise and this is 3-4 days a week.
- None that I can remember
Summer job
Trail Blazer (Former Employee), auberry,caJune 17, 2015
Pros: working as a team
Cons: too hot
There's nothing like working in the 100 degree weather to make new walkways for the San Joaquin river. It's hot and miserable but a good way to learn some work ethics.
Youngest Employee
Planner (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 5, 2015
At 27 I was virtually the youngest employee in the entire place. The workers here have definitely aged in place and are not retiring. Need new people, new ideas and new enthusiasm. This place is not progressing like a competitve 21st Century company. It is stuck in old ways and people work very little.
Extremely important and visable to 25 million vistors each year.
Gardener (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 3, 2015
Pros: Gorgeous scenery, talking with visitors to the parks' memorials, Learning the real History behind the memorials
Cons: Bad management, Low morale
While working at the National Park Service, I saw a lot of mis-management of equipment and tools. But overall, it was a great place to work, most everyone was very nice and had extensive knowledge of the Memorials that are so important to America.
Typically, on an average day I would pick up litter and garbage. Then on to landscaping/gardening duties that included edging, mowing, weed-eating, pulling weeds from the flower beds in and around the Washington Monument and all of the Memorials. I was in charge of driving a crew of up to 7 people to their duty location around the Tidal basin. Lead volunteer groups up to 200+ people.
Conducted required weekly safety meetings.
Department of Interior
Material Handler (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMMay 27, 2015
Great place to work. The bad side was management never seemed to be involved with the day to day operations and in my position there was no room for advancement. If i had been in a different position i may have stayed for the long haul.
Intern
Environmental/GIS Intern (Current Employee), Denver, COMay 25, 2015
As an intern, I've been given many opportunities to move around branches and work on projects that interest me. Everyone is very nice and easy going. Many employees are willing to help in the process of choosing a career path. Overall, great place to work while just starting out as an intern.
Able to continue education in the related field
Biological Science Technician GS-0404-05 (Current Employee), Porter, INMay 4, 2015
This position allowed me to further my education and skill set in the related field. I was able to achieve several certifications while employed with this organization.
Good place for Interns but not for serious career motivated people
Biological Technician (Current Employee), MauiMay 4, 2015
Pros: Good work to life ratio
Cons: Inexperienced management and employees
I have worked as a manager/foreman for almost 11 years before accepting a job here but as I have been working here I have seen nothing but poor management, bad allocation of resources, poor work ethic, and poor treatment of those who actually work with reward and credit given to those who do little to nothing. My managers know little to nothing about their jobs or managing, which has taught me nothing useful for my future career in natural resources. I am one who believes strongly in team work but unlike the management at this job I can also see where doing every little thing as a team can actually slow things down and be unproductive. Co-workers are lazy and prefer to make those who are willing to work hard do all the work. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the very inexperienced employees who are not supervised and allowed to do what they want all day. However there is a good work to life ratio and a lot of outside and physical work, which I thoroughly enjoy.
Field work in the AZ desert: endangered fish surveys
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMay 3, 2015
This volunteer position allowed me to add field experience to my background, which I need to get an idea of what working in the field will entail in my potential future research. This included going out into the desert areas in Benson, Sierra Vista, Eloy and surrounding localities, repairing habitats, checking pond water chemical levels at different times of day/before and after rain, surveying endangered and invasive species, and recording the data for the Bereau of Land Management.
I enjoyed the work we did and saw the diversity of the AZ desert fish species in person-something which made me realize the importance of an ecological system that few people give a second thought.