Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employer Reviews

Its Hot in the summer but 8 the other months are great.
Plumbing Department Lead (Current Employee), Death Valley CaSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: great equipment to work with
Cons: the summers are hot
Its the federal government so there is a ton of paperwork for the smallest things. But they spend a lot of money training you in a wide area of subjects. living inside a National Park is great and the work is always changing.You never get bored.
A wonderful experience for college students
Office Automation Clerk 0399-GS-3 level (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: close to parks and a gym
Cons: not being a permanent job
A typical day at work consisted of preparing coffee, checking emails, and prepare travel vouchers for upcoming courses. I learned about hotel invoices and how to manage a company's calendar. My previous co-workers were eager to always help. The hardest part of working here were that I was the youngest one employed. The most enjoyable part of the job – more... were the EEO training's and parties. – less
fun place to work
Supervisor - Nancy Sager (Former Employee), elkton vaSeptember 17, 2014
outdoors work, seasonal, cash handeling , giving directions, visitor contact
Great place to work if you love the outdoors and am committed to public service
US Park Ranger - Law Enforcement (Current Employee), Thurmont, MDSeptember 13, 2014
Great co-workers, great locations, not so great salary & benefits.
Productive and fun workplace that allows for enjoyment of the summer
Laborer (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: environment and atmosphere. shift hours
Cons: short breaks. start time
A summer job in a national park. Teaches you a great deal about team work, responsibility and time management. Many tasks relied on team work and coming up with the most efficient strategy to get the job done in the quickest and easiest way.
Great opportunity to learn government accoutning
Accounting Clerk/Auditor (Former Employee), Lakewood, COSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: great people.
Cons: no water available in working area.
During my time at the Bureau of Land Management I was afforded the opportunity to learn the delicacies of governmental accounting. The vast majority of the staff I worked with were extremely helpful in helping me grow as an accounting clerk/auditor. One of the things I enjoyed the most about the position was reviewing all the expense claims that were – more... submitted, and verifying the legitimacy of said claims. Upon verification I would submit the claims for payment. The most difficult aspect of the position was learning all the different federal regulations that restricted the travel of BLM employees. As different sections fo the division had different policies that they had to adhere to. – less
nice place to work only temporary though.
Laborer(seasonal) (Current Employee), staten island, nySeptember 8, 2014
This is a cool job. Everyone is nice and it is a good work place.
Satisfying and Humbling
Intern (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 8, 2014
Assumed role as a design assistant and conducted conceptual design, space planning, design presentation and material development: sketches renderings and models.
Fast paced environment
Expanded Dispatcher Recorder (Former Employee), Carson City, NVSeptember 4, 2014
I love working in a fast paced environment that involves helping out emergency situations like wildland fire.
Very versatile work environment
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Boise, IDSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: stable
Cons: pay scale and advancement potential
Contracting Officer Representative
Basic Electrical
Carpentry
Steel/aluminum fabrication
Heavy Equipment Operator
good working conditions, varied assignments and good interpersonal cooperation
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), national sea shore wellfleet maSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: abilty to trouble shooting and problem solveing
Cons: two hr. travel morning and evening
starts with a safety meeting/work assignments
various aspects of working for nps
pretty fair as long as communication stays open
couldn't ask for better
two hr. travel morning and evening
leading
Legal Staff Assistant (Current Employee), washington, dcAugust 28, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I have learned a lot about Indian gaming and the culture of the Indians.
Good money, stable
Land Law Examiner (Current Employee), Reno, NVAugust 5, 2014
Great place but very political. Not many job openings. Would recommend it.
Review
Lead Fire Fighter (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CaliforniaJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: many hours
It is a great and admirable job, but the ability for advancement is not that great.
Great Interning Experience
IT Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 24, 2014
Pros: live in dc, prestigious company
A typical day as an intern is working with other interns, except when you are in one of the non policy internship positions. you work tasks that are extraordinarily helpful for entry level positions, and can network and explore opportunities for policy investigation of mining practices. Since I was recruited for IT, this is a hedge internship, where – more... I am going to bounce off one good opportunity into a more suitable opportunity for my experiences. – less
Fun Job
Internship (Former Employee), Parkersburg, WVJuly 7, 2014
Fun internship, spent most of my days on the water or out interacting with the public.
BLM GIS intern
GIS Internship (Current Employee), Grand JunctionJuly 3, 2014
I have learned more in this position than any GIS class. I would like a permenant job with the DOI.
Productive and relax work
GIS Intern (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 3, 2014
Gain vital experience in GIS related programs, typical day at work I worked with looking at BLM lands in ArcMap and would create MXDs to aid briefings done by others as they presented.
Great place for single people if the park will let you have housing....
WG4 (Current Employee), Guadalupe Mountains National Park, TXJune 28, 2014
Pros: park housing maybe, fall colors, free wifi, gym in park, 80 miles of trails
Cons: movie theater, grocery store, etc... far, far away.... management is good ol boy. communication is often absent, leading to confusion and feelings of lack of accomplishment.
Because of oil fields booming... the cost of living has skyrocketed in one of the closest towns. The other closest town has minimal housing. IF the salary offered will allow you to have housing... or if you are offered park housing... not a bad place to work at all. Bear in mind that because it is so small... the culture is one of inclusion. Think good – more... ol boy.... If you do not get park housing you will probably not hear much about park goings on. If you do hear about things.... and do not live in the park, you had better be able to afford the gas to drive back and forth.... or just be really good at making your own entertainment.

Make sure your salary is high enough so you can create a decent existence for yourself. Make sure you are happy with the position or are able to move up or on.... – less
Recreation is a fun summer job!
RECREATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Loon Lake, ORJune 27, 2014
I worked at the Loon Lake Campground primarily during my time with the DOI, and it was a fun and fulfilling experience. I got to work out in the sunshine nearly everyday, and the campground was a beautiful and fun filled place full of activity all summer long.

1 2 3 4 5