Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Government work
Bureau of Landmanagement (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 15, 2017
Most people are very friendly and willing to help. Realize it's a mix of people some don't believe in government interference some people do. Although there is room for advancement you must be willing to relocate to other locations. For some reason the Federal Government is convinced that the only way to advance is to go to different offices.
great job
Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMAugust 15, 2017
Loved working with the Navajo students- learned about their culture and was successful teaching reading to them.

The program was evolving to include more Indian teachers-
Pros
gov't. job
Cons
long days
Tough place to work
Park Guide (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 13, 2017
There is not enough management support. The park is overworked,, and understaffed to deal with the over 4,000-6,000 visitors who visit on a daily basis.
Pros
Leave
Cons
not enough staff
Great place to work.
Range Aid (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVAugust 8, 2017
Everyone at the Department of Interior was a delight to know and work with, I am glad to have had the opportunity. My job as a range aid not only gave me the skills and experience to work in the fire warehouse. But also gave me the chance to understand a little bit more of what wild-land firefighters do.
A real people person. Good with the public. Safety Awareness Always.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VirginiaAugust 7, 2017
Have always had a good attitude. I am ready to work extra hours if needed. I am neat and work well with others. Very ambitious and ready to learn new things.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
journeyman or higher graded maintenance workers (Current Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSAugust 5, 2017
This is about the best career anyone could ask for. The supervisor was great to work for, and the daily workload was not stressful at all. The coworkers were very easy to get along with.
exciting job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 3, 2017
Best jobs are at the field level. Advancement is possible but comes at the price of much more red tape and inability to impact mission. Stay on the ground, do good work.
Relaxed Environmenet
Contracting Officer/Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 1, 2017
I worked here for about 8 years. Advancement was pretty fast here. Management was cool and didn't micro mange to much. I love the option to be able to telework 3 days out of the week.
Pros
Telework
Workplace life in Yellowstone National Park
Laborer (Grant Maintenance) (Current Employee) –  Grant Village Yellowstone National ParkJuly 29, 2017
This is a wonderful place to work if you are able to move up and get a full time position in your field. That is almost impossible to do, because the workers do not retire and jobs rarely open up. If they do, then whom ever is hiring usually has someone in mind already. I love living in the woods where the trees.
Pros
close to work, eat at home every day, live inside the park
Cons
Administration is hard to deal with, grocery store is 2 hours away
great to work in the park
Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  Triangle, VAJuly 26, 2017
Working in the park is great but hard to get a weekend off and hours are rarely flexible. After a stressful day, which is rare, you can simply go sit in the park and enjoy nature and the next day at work everything is great.
Pros
work in national park
Cons
no weekends off
Student Intern positions are difficult and very few exist
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Prineville, ORJuly 26, 2017
Funding is hard on a student intern and there are very few openings available for permanent positions. There are opportunities to learn a very diverse work experience but can be very limited by funding available.
Challenging work environment.
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Worland, WY 82401July 26, 2017
There were always training opportunities and the ability to step outside of your assigned job duties to learn. You also have the chance to work with Inter-agency teams and travel.
Pros
Paid time off, Sick leave
Contract Employee
Desktop Support/Contractor (Former Employee) –  Woods Hole, MAJuly 17, 2017
I was a contractor for the USGS. The job was VERY political. I was the first point of Contact for all people who called with issues. It was like working at a college campus - we could ride our bicycles to work, we could wear shorts and T-Shirts in the offices.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Politics of working for the government
Awesome Place to Work
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32225July 16, 2017
There is so much to learn working at a place like this. Although most of the employees worked outside, there were opportunities to go an get involved in the different expos and events they had going on.
Great Place to Work
Park Guide (Former Employee) –  Ganado, AZJuly 16, 2017
I love this job. You learn something new every day. Help Preserve and protect our Nation's Landmarks. I recommend this job to anyone looking for something new and exciting.
Pros
Great pay, educational, benefits, work hours
Cons
Its only seasonal
Opportunity to live and work in amazing places
Biological Science Technician- Plants/GIS, GS-5 (Current Employee) –  Estes Park, COJuly 15, 2017
Working for the National Park Service is a great opportunity, especially for people just coming out of college. It enables you to gain a variety of professional experiences and live in a number of places around the country that many people pay to visit on vacation each year. However, you have to be willing to only work for the NPS 6 months out of each year for your first 4 years, and put up with explaining that to people who don't understand why you would go to college for 4 years to only work in your chosen job field seasonally.
Pros
Amazing work environment, great way to gain experience
Cons
poor benefits for seasonal employees, below average pay, seasonal work only for your first 4 years
Summary
Park Guide (Current Employee) –  Mammoth Cave, KYJuly 9, 2017
Was a good experience in general. Highly respected and rewarding position but EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get permanent status. At Mammoth Cave I met great co-workers and I absolutely loved the cave.
Pros
respect of visitors in general, good government pay and benefits
Cons
Almost impossible to get permanent, say goodbye to your weekends
A good option with good pay, benefits and advancement options
Biologist (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJuly 9, 2017
DOI can be a great place to work with a good salary, good work/life balance and promotion opportunities. Most employees are dedicated civil servants that are committed to fulfilling the mission of their bureaus and working with the public in a professional manner.
Pros
Good pay and promotion options
Cons
Current budget climate is uncertain
not as easy as most think
Living History and Historic Trades Intern (Former Employee) –  Harpers Ferry, WVJuly 8, 2017
Working for the National Park Service is fun fufilling, rewarding, and quite difficult. When being a member of the government you have to abide by specific regulations that could severely impact interactions with the public if not taken seriously. The job is fun, engaging, and worth it in so many ways, however it is not as easy as most people think.
Pros
unique opportunities, beautiful scenery, great atmosphere
Cons
hard to get involved with, lots of regulations
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Moose, WYJuly 6, 2017
Outstanding relaxed environment, great place to work and have fun, this was my favorite work place since I retired from the Army.

If you enjoy nature you will love this place to work