Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior United States Employee Reviews

Good
Foreman, Vegas Valley Handcrew (Current Employee), Las VegasApril 12, 2015
2015 Fire Season
Position; Supervisory Range Technician (Fire) GS-8
I was fortunate to accept a Career Seasonal Position with the Southern Nevada District of the BLM in Las Vegas. I am currently the Assistant Superintendent of the Vegas Valley Handcrew, which is one of the agency’s Veteran Crews. My primary duty is to provide fireline supervision during all stages of response to wildland fire emergencies. The fire environment is a dangerous and dynamic workplace I must provide leadership and direction to my subordinates. Together we recognize hazards and implement safety procedures to mitigate risk and complete work assignments. I supervise the handcrew in administrative capacities as well and must communicate and interact with internal and external personal to provide consistent operation of the crew. During incidents I have to evaluate conditions, determine the appropriate actions, and implement tactical decisions. The crew is a Type 2IA Handcrew and may function as an intact crew or in multiple modules. The position requires me to execute complex burn projects in a wide variety of fuel types and perform complex firing operations on wildfire incidents. Most of these duties include strenuous physical activity. The crew works to stabilize emergencies under adverse environmental conditions and over extended periods of time. Due to these workplace conditions it is important that the entire module practices excellent physical and mental preparedness. I am responsible for the physical training program of the crew and demand the highest performance of myself and the crew. My goal is to train, learn, and practice together to become the most productive and cohesive unit possible. I am excited for the challenges and opportunities that this position will present. I look forward to contributing to the crew’s and district’s futures.
Seasonal Employee
Facility Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Grand Canyon, AZApril 8, 2015
Life a Seasonal isnt always the best, but its an opportunity to get your foot in the door to a great career. I have a family and children, so for me, its hard to stay in seasonal housing or shared quarters. I cannot accept most appointments because of my family situation. The money is good and has a potential to be great given the right circumstances. This is a great place to work and have a career if you enjoy the outdoors, desolate locales, and are in a position to accept anything for housing. Enjoy it if you have the chance to do so.
Good place to work and challenging at times
Contract Specialist, DOI (Former Employee), Hoquiam, WAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed being my own boss
Cons: Unable to advance my career with the bureau.
Check voicemail and discuss daily tasks with boss. Check for invoices to be processed. Inventory supplies and check incoming shipments for completeness, any damage and process receiving report or claims. Processed Purchase Order. Inspected construction projects and reported findings. I learned about the culture of theBureau and ways of doing business. My co-workers were friendly and we worked well together. The hardest part of the job was insuring small businesses were paid in a timely fashion. Hardest part of the job was knowing there was no room for advancement because I was not native american in whole or in part.
I enjoyed learning the native american culture and visiting the reservations.
Law Enforcement Position
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee), Charlestown, MAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Ability to further my education.
Cons: Lack of face to face interaction with others.
In the summer-time the dispatch center is a hub of activity. We offer services to five different parks and over twenty officers on duty at any given time. Therefore, there is always something going on.
Enjoyed working with staff
Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee), Mescalero, NMMarch 29, 2015
Enjoyed working with staff and students. Like to assist staff who are having difficulty with computers. Provide assistance where necessary.
Amazing place to work
Range Technician/Fire Logistics (Current Employee), Medford, ORMarch 27, 2015
Very flexible, make your own schedule. Very family orientated, management is great, pay not as good, hard to get a permit job.
Not the job for me
Clerk/intern (Former Employee), Billings, MTMarch 16, 2015
Pros: great pay/benefits
Cons: management in my department did not seem to have anyone's best interest in mind
It is a good job, if you are into government positions. I was an intern and decided I would try it out before picking a career. I realized I am not an office/cubicle person! The pay/benefits are fantastic! But, my manager was not very nice. Hardest part of the job is sitting all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close-knit, kind group of people.
Wonderful opportunity
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYMarch 9, 2015
Pros: being able to share nature with the public is great fun.
Cons: no benefits or permanent opportunity is lacking
Working in an environmental area is great. Teaching the youth about the environment and creating a garden was exciting. My co-workers had unlimited energy and creativity.
Working within a limited budget is a bit difficult. You want to do so much more for the students.
Arduous work with amazing views
Forestry Technician (Former Employee), Klamath Falls, ORMarch 8, 2015
A wild land fire fighter does not really have a typical day during fire season. I found my immediate supervisors fantastic, knowledgable and accommodating. The hand crew was made up of 90% veterans and a job well done was the last sentiment after a shift. I would continue to fight fire if the availability for advancement was better.
Great place to work with a staff of dedicated professionals.
Admin Support Clerk (Former Employee), Ashland, WIMarch 7, 2015
Pros: excellent work environment
Cons: no opportunity for advancement at all.
This particular Office is staffed with the highest caliber of personnel. They monitor and track flora and fauna in nine national parks throughout the great lakes region. The total teamwork environment makes going to work a pleasure.
Good for family
Supervisory Wildlife Inspector (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great upper management
Cons: no transfer/advancement
Not much variety or opportunities for advancement, but the overall culture is good for family life. If I could have moved to another part of the state in the same position, the job would have been ideal.
Internship Position
Cultural Resources Intern (Former Employee), Shenahdoah National ParkFebruary 23, 2015
This internship allowed me to explore many avenues within Shenandoah National Park. In the three months that I was there I learned many of the techniques conservators use at a living history museum.
Hard work but can be a lot of fun.
Receptionist/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Titusville, FLFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits and friends.
Cons: short lunches
You meet many types of people and personalities in this work.
Many days are very busy and hectic but it pays off at the end of the day. You realize just what you can accomplish and how you handle people.
Management is easy to work with and very helpful.
I enjoyed meeting the different people.
Productive workplace with very nice people
Position as a clerk (Former Employee), Rock Springs, WYFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: two breaks a day, and plenty of lunch time, flexible hours, calm but fun work environment
Cons: indoors
My days were mostly filled with shredding paper, filing information, and scanning huge documents. It sounds boring, but I have always loved having something to do, and the small tedious jobs can be very enjoyable for me. I enjoyed the management, they were great people to talk to and very willing to answer questions. My co-workers were all very hard workers, and very fun to talk to. The hardest part of the job was that I spent most of my days inside, when the whether outside was warm and sunny. The most enjoyable part of the job were the days where I had more work to do. I don't like to sit around, and being able to work all day keeps me motivated and makes the days seem to go by faster.
Wildlife Biologist loves added responsibilities
Biological Science Technician (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2015
Great work experience with a lot of demanding, but rewarding elements. Allowed me to utilize an environmental education role that I previously had no experience in. And gave me many independent projects and management roles.
great location for work
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYFebruary 9, 2015
management are very friendly
they are not on your back as long as you get the job done
great location for work
get to meet a lot of people at work
I enjoyed working with customers and accounting
Secretary/Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Coolidge, AZFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: working with figures and balancing ledgers, working with customers, job security and excellent benefits
I loved working in the Accounting Division and it was very satisfying when I would balance the daily accounts. I challenged myself each and every day to balance the ledger on a first time attempt. Liked working with the customers. I kept the department in a jovial attitude, which was infectious and carried over to the customers. I loved my Supervisor, Jacquelyn Curley, although she held all of us to a very high standard, she was very fair and always had our backs with Management. She was very rewarding of our efforts and had an open door policy, which relieved some of the stress of working in an Accounting Department.
received multiple certifications with in the building
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Medford, ORFebruary 5, 2015
Executed daily operations of filing and organizing confidential records with strong organization and analytical skills. Made spreadsheets and entered payment and budget information with Excel, Access and Microsoft Word. Also Worked with FBMS entering data. Organized and stocked shelves for the warehouse. Received a certificate for successfully passing FISSA Privacy and Records Management. Provided administrative support for the department such as answering telephones, assisting visitors and receiving deliveries.
Structured, demanding environment
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDFebruary 5, 2015
This job provided me with the opportunities to challenge myself mentally and physically. Days ranged from eight to twenty-four hours of work in adverse conditions. I learned to manage my stress and physical stamina in extreme conditions.
Best job I've had my whole life, seriously.
Range Technician (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: 3 days off a week
Cons: seasonal only
Ride ATV's all day hunting noxious weeds and spraying them with chemicals.
Everyday Monday through Thursday work starts at 6am and typically are off around 430pm, 40 hours a week, no overtime.
Job only lasts 4 months though.
We were allowed to listen to music as we cruise the deserts of Idaho on four-wheelers.

1 2 3 4 5