Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Great Experience and very Professional Employees
Range Technician (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVJanuary 12, 2017
No Typical days work here. Everyday is different and many days are incredibly strenuous. Hard work and very difficult degree of mental aptitude. Overall, amazing experience.
A competent group of propfessionals
Technical Writer/Course Developer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 10, 2017
I was impressed on a daily basis with the professional attitude of my coworkers and managers. While there were some bureaucratic issues at times, they never prevented us from achieving our mission.
Good seasonal work
Wildland Firefighter Type II (Casual) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Great seasonal work, able to work outside. Able to travel to different locations. Great workout and you meet many people from lots of different backgrounds.
Productive and fun work enviornment
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 4, 2017
Typical day of wok at the Bureau was incredibly organized and structured to enable a smooth workflow.

Learned about some federal procedures at a GS-4 level and managing shipments.

Management was welcoming and made me feel like part of a family

Coworkers were relaxed yet diligent

Hardest part of the job was overflow of work due to high shipment volume

Most enjoyable pa of the job was hanging around awesome coworkers who made the job feel less stressful
Work hard while enjoying great views
Student Laborer- Trails (Former Employee) –  Mammoth Hot Springs, WYDecember 27, 2016
Trail crew- 8 on 6 off, great scheduled. Get to meet people from all over. Great job for people who like to work hard and hike alot. You get to see the work you have done.
Pros
Great View, good people
Cons
NA
Nps
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYDecember 24, 2016
The National Park Service is excellent, both for employees and visitors. I enjoyed two seasons at one of the busiest National Park's in the country, but it can be very difficult to move up or get converted to a permanent position.
Government Fun
Contract - Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 22, 2016
It was a great place to work for. I loved being apart of the operations that help maintain the land and resources that we as Americans love so much.
Great
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fruita, CODecember 19, 2016
Would be perfect if it wasn't seasonal. Would love to work there forever. Coworkers are always nice and the view is always perfect. I just wish it was not seasonal.
productive and benficial
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manteo, NCDecember 16, 2016
Days were based upon what needed to get done nd changed daily. I learned a lot about habitats of animals and how to care for their homes.
Good Place
Hydrologic Technician GS (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORDecember 15, 2016
Good people to work with. Their decisions are based on science and they have some great restoration projects going on. Look forward to returning next year.
Wild Land Firefighter
Wild land Firefighter, BIA (Former Employee) –  Fort Defiance, AZDecember 14, 2016
It was a good time. I went to different locations. and worked with all kinds of people and had a overall good time. it was some very physical work. lots of hiking and walking. its not for everyone.
A great learning experience!
Seasonal Park Ranger (Interpretive) (Former Employee) –  Potomac, MDDecember 2, 2016
I only worked with the NPS for a summer. The entire summer was full of fun and learning experiences. They had a lot of things for us to do on the weekends when we weren't working such as traveling to different parks, learning about the NPS, going to DC, among other exciting experiences. I would love to work for them again.
Cons
Management is aweful. They only care about themselves and getting promoted.
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Tok, AKDecember 1, 2016
Management is aweful. They only care about themselves and getting promoted. Management doesn't care about the actual workers.
The people worked with were professional and excellent to work with.
Able Seaman (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MINovember 20, 2016
The best people I have ever worked with and would like to stay but I must work on 100 ton vessel to advance my license. I have worked there for two years and have enough time to upgrade to 1600 Mate. Would like to get more time on 100 ton vessel to upgrade to 500 ton Master.
Pros
Plenty of underway time
Cons
Seasonal - furloughed November through March
Great
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2016
Excitimg career choice nevera dull moment. Damgerous but rewarding. Tons of opportunities for growth. Senior officers are nice and very open with help and leading new officers
good job
Painter (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CONovember 4, 2016
good job just needs better job security. however work is starting to heat up so overall a great place to work. a typical day would be getting to job setting up equipment and taking care of business.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SDNovember 4, 2016
The National Park Service is one of the greatest places you could hope to work. The job is very fun and satisfying. The people you work with are happy to be there. The environment is very friendly and enjoyable.
Dynamic of the office was outstanding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 27, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for DOI. The work was challenging at times, but always enjoyable. My coworkers and management were so easy to get along with that it made my job much more enjoyable.
Pros
Office Dynamic
Cons
N/A
short term job
Water truck driver (Former Employee) –  Glamis, CAOctober 25, 2016
only worked two weeks, hard work, driving time. it sucks to only work two weeks at temp job. was looking for full-time job with benefits
I loved helping people
Wildland Firefighter specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 24, 2016
I really enjoyed saving people lives and property. It gave me a sense of happiness and joy knowing that I help someone who need it my help. I enjoy traveling seeing nice forest and other towns that I never seen before. Enjoy seeing animals in the wild.
Pros
saving lives
Cons
missing family fighting fire going on long trips

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of the Interior. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of the Interior Reviews by Location