Department of the Interior Employee Reviews in United States

not a good agency to work for
Biological Science Technician, (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMay 26, 2016
The DOI is one of many Government agencies that represent the worst that the Federal Government has to offer. The have taken full time positions and re defined them as term positions or seasonal positions. Advancement is impossible unless you are on the "in" with the agency. Nepotism is rampant and pay is low.
Pros
work outside
Cons
low pay, nepotism, poor leadership, zero chance for advancement
Great place to work with great job advancement
District Hydrologist (Former Employee) –  Ely, NVMay 24, 2016
Working for the Department of the interior is great. Its difficult to get in and often people have to live in less desirable locations to get their foot in the door, but it's worth it.
Pros
Good pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Hard to get a job with them
Rewarding Career Opportunities
Southern Nevada Recreation Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 24, 2016
Although my work in the federal service has been incredibly rewarding and my career has continuously progressed, my passion lies in community engagement and meeting the needs of the people within my community. My ability to lead is the richest when I am focused on leading a team that is focused on building a better future for youth, families and the surrounding communities.
A great Career for raising a family
Facility Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Canyon National Park, AZMay 12, 2016
Being a National Park Ranger has its merits it's an experience few people get to enjoy. The work/Life balance is truly amazing and emphasis is always on family first.
It is a great place to work.
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UT 84790April 25, 2016
A typical day is 8 hours. I have a great boss and co workers I enjoy working with. I am constantly learning new things, which I like to do. The hardest part of the job is being interupted while I am in the middle of a project, because I like to see my jobs through. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility, the people I work with, and that I like what I am doing.
Physical Security/Security Operation Center (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 21, 2016
Great employee
Great management
Great co-workers
Great working environment
Great location
Free parking
Nice café
Nice coffee shop
Fast paced and only temporary.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHApril 17, 2016
Speedway was a great summer job or first job for someone else but you must be flexible and hard working. Speedway may be perfect for college students.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Work
A rewarding place to practice law.
Attorney Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2016
A very professional and rewarding place to work in the field of environmental and energy law on issues on national significance and import.
The majority of my 13 years management was excellent
Cost/Revenue Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COApril 2, 2016
The employees at DOI were hard working, team players.
I need minimul supervision so a typical day at work was making sure I provided quality work in a timely manner.
Its an awesome experience
Range Technician (Firefighter type (Former Employee) –  Shoshone, IDMarch 18, 2016
Working for the BLM,as a firefighter is one of the best ways to feel useful and like you have a greater purpose by protecting the land that is peoples livelihoods.
Department of Interior Las Cruces
Environmental Protection Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 15, 2016
Just retired from the military. Nothing like the military. There is no communications between anyone. Everyone does not have thick skin and can not take corrective criticism. I walk miles almost every other day with no chance at a promotion or a permanent job.
Pros
Government Job
Cons
Everyone is stuck up. Not the military. No structure or communication.
Cartographer, Land Law Clerk, Conveyance Examiner, Drafter
catographer (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 14, 2016
My job with Bureau of Land Management gave me many job experiences. I learned how to multi task in the public room helping customers with oil and gas accounts and land law transactions, as a Land Law Clerk. I also, researched many land cases for property and property ownership and boundaries using Legal Land description.
I learned how to be detailed oriented being a Cartographer, portraying mapping skills and transferring them into the computer systems (AutoCad, Excel, ARCvu, and Arcmap, Meta Data).
Pros
8-5 job, hour lunch break, paid time off
Cons
poor communication in different departments
Very Productive and Balanced
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAMarch 14, 2016
It is a Great work environment with people willing to work as a team to accomplish the task at hand. The supervisors are very knowledgeable and professional.
Great place to work.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 1, 2016
Flexability to work hours that are best for you. Company provides fruit and snacks for employees. Downtown location close to everything
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
low pay
Great experience
Range Technician (Former Employee) –  Prineville, ORFebruary 22, 2016
Great people and a fun place to work. Very little time in the summer to have a personal life outside of work and fighting fires
Awesome experience and application of my education
Biological Technician (Former Employee) –  Huron, SDFebruary 17, 2016
This was an amazing experience. It allowed me to apply much of the knowledge I have learned during my collegiate career to the real world and taught me even more. I learned about the realities of field sampling that they cannot teach in the classroom and it also gave me federal certifications and relationships that will help for the future.
Great
Petroleum Engineer Internship (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 26, 2016
Great place to be. Supervisor was great and always made sure that their was something to do. Hardest part is it required alot of driving to get to work site
challenging and fun place to work
ASSISTANT CREW LEADER/ MVO (TRAILS) (Former Employee) –  Grand Teton National Park, WYJanuary 26, 2016
This is a great place to work. People are friendly, and enjoy there work. Co-workers are diverse, and management is great.
Pros
challenging and fun
Cons
healthcare
Doi/aqd
Contract Specialist II on Assignment (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJanuary 23, 2016
Department of the Interior/Acquisition Services Directorate has issues including bullying, false reports against employees allowed to be filed, HR is a joke she is extremely unprofessional and uses power to push individuals around and they act and interfere with contractors gaining success. DOI has major problems with GS 12 and higher employees throughout the organization.
Pros
Obtain a variety of education if driven to do so
Cons
HR, Division Chief, Contracting Officers using false complaints to rid competition
Really enjoyed working with the department of interior
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mosca, COJanuary 18, 2016
This was an internship for me while I attended school. Loved the people I worked with, would have worked with no others. Learned to work with a team, learned how to use the machines and technology, and learned most importantly what it is like to have a fun job. The hardest part of the job is standing on the feet for long hours. The most enjoyable part of working is of course the work atmosphere. The coworkers are a blast to work with, who genuinely love their jobs and it was such a privilege and honor to be part of the park service. Would definitely recommend. Have to be patient, that is part of the job, and how to handle the very rare nasty visitor that comes into the park.