Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employer Reviews

Good money, stable
Land Law Examiner (Current Employee), Reno, NVAugust 5, 2014
Great place but very political. Not many job openings. Would recommend it.
Review
Lead Fire Fighter (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CaliforniaJuly 29, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: many hours
It is a great and admirable job, but the ability for advancement is not that great.
Great Interning Experience
IT Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 24, 2014
Pros: live in dc, prestigious company
A typical day as an intern is working with other interns, except when you are in one of the non policy internship positions. you work tasks that are extraordinarily helpful for entry level positions, and can network and explore opportunities for policy investigation of mining practices. Since I was recruited for IT, this is a hedge internship, where – more... I am going to bounce off one good opportunity into a more suitable opportunity for my experiences. – less
Fun Job
Internship (Former Employee), Parkersburg, WVJuly 7, 2014
Fun internship, spent most of my days on the water or out interacting with the public.
BLM GIS intern
GIS Internship (Current Employee), Grand JunctionJuly 3, 2014
I have learned more in this position than any GIS class. I would like a permenant job with the DOI.
Productive and relax work
GIS Intern (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 3, 2014
Gain vital experience in GIS related programs, typical day at work I worked with looking at BLM lands in ArcMap and would create MXDs to aid briefings done by others as they presented.
Great place for single people if the park will let you have housing....
WG4 (Current Employee), Guadalupe Mountains National Park, TXJune 28, 2014
Pros: park housing maybe, fall colors, free wifi, gym in park, 80 miles of trails
Cons: movie theater, grocery store, etc... far, far away.... management is good ol boy. communication is often absent, leading to confusion and feelings of lack of accomplishment.
Because of oil fields booming... the cost of living has skyrocketed in one of the closest towns. The other closest town has minimal housing. IF the salary offered will allow you to have housing... or if you are offered park housing... not a bad place to work at all. Bear in mind that because it is so small... the culture is one of inclusion. Think good – more... ol boy.... If you do not get park housing you will probably not hear much about park goings on. If you do hear about things.... and do not live in the park, you had better be able to afford the gas to drive back and forth.... or just be really good at making your own entertainment.

Make sure your salary is high enough so you can create a decent existence for yourself. Make sure you are happy with the position or are able to move up or on.... – less
Recreation is a fun summer job!
RECREATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Loon Lake, ORJune 27, 2014
I worked at the Loon Lake Campground primarily during my time with the DOI, and it was a fun and fulfilling experience. I got to work out in the sunshine nearly everyday, and the campground was a beautiful and fun filled place full of activity all summer long.
Relaxed atmosphere
Contract Maritime Historian (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 17, 2014
Researched and wrote a lot about military ships and their functions.
Nice working with children of Native American culture.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Sells, AZJune 8, 2014
Since September of 2004, I have been employed as a Special Education teacher at Santa Rosa Day School operated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, The best part of working there are the children. The Bureau of Indian affairs has many schools located in several states. The compensation and benefits are good. The job and life balance is different in that – more... BIA schools are located in the middle of nowhere away from cities with amenities. There is a bit of culture shock to some who move onto a reservation to work there.I gave three stars to area of management because principals seem to come and go at these schools as does staff. Management can be better.
Job culture is different from public schools in that there is a lot of red tape when dealing with the government. Most oof my time is spent with paperwork and less with instruction. What I have learned is knowing I cannot complete everything in one day and I have learned to be flexible and I have learned that I have to improve my classroom management skills. I have learned to be aware of getting paperwork done on time per IEP deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my students thank me for trying my best to help them. – less
good times
Park Ranger (Former Employee), Hyde Park, NYJune 7, 2014
Pros: clean professional atmosphere, great pay, job demands very little
Cons: can be boring if you dont have internet access or something to do/read, but is that really a con?
I was a ticket vendor primarily for FDR's home and library. When i wasnt answering a tourist's questions I was on youtube or netflix, on my phone, or reading. some days were slow, others extremely fast, you wouldnt believe how many people come through to these places. I guess they just want to see something culturally significant before they die considering – more... the majority crowd is over 62. Management depends on where you work. Overall, extremely easy job with an absurd amount of pay for what you're actually doing. Jump at a job opportunity with the National Park Service if you have one in the wings. – less
Typical Day
YCC (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 4, 2014
Our day varied. One day we would be building fences, next day picking up trash, another day pulling weeds, another day watering plants, and another day cleaning bathrooms.
A good Bureau to work in the outdoor enviroment.
Land Surveyor (Former Employee), Alaska, Oregon, Arizona, WashingtonJune 4, 2014
Provide me a great career providing service to the public.

The hardest part is putting up with the politics.

The best part is working in the outdoors.
Great experience
Clerical Assistant, Public Outreach (Former Employee), Medford, ORMay 28, 2014
Learned many things under the care of a lot of passionate people.
Beautiful National Lakeshore
Public Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator Intern (Former Employee), Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, INMay 14, 2014
Beautiful National Lakeshore. A truly wonderful environment to work in.
Worked in Alaska.
Highway Engineer BIA (Former Employee), Juneau, AKMay 13, 2014
Successfully managed road construction projects. Reviewed designs and bids. negotiated bids and inspected work.
Meh
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Portland, ORMay 8, 2014
It honestly varies, as it is so wide. My experience hasn't been all that great...
Perfect for Young People
Visitor Use Assistant (Current Employee), Estes Park, COApril 23, 2014
Pros: for the most part the job is good, the people are great, and the benefits are great if you work full time.
Cons: us government job.
I work as a campground ranger. If one is young and looking for a career, look no further. You can choose where you want to work and the type of work you want to do if you are patient.
provided finacial assistance to customers
Park Ranger (Former Employee), Brecksville, OHApril 23, 2014
Marketing, upsell on products and assist customers with loans.
Not for me
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), Billings, MTApril 22, 2014
Pros: job security and generous leave/vacation - interesting work after doing all the administrative tasks
Cons: was bad office environment and below average compensation
The work was interesting but full of red tape. Multiple persons were involved for the most simple tasks making getting any thing accomplished difficult. There was little to no team work across offices or even in our own office.
The office environment is very similar to junior high school; full of cliques and cruel games. The lack of real leadership – more... made this office a terrible place to work. – less

1 2 3 4 5