Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Productive, hard working, everyone helps eveyone kind of workplace
Maintenance / Camp grounds worker (Former Employee) –  Glennallen, AKSeptember 12, 2016
on certain days I would go in and do maintenance at the main office fixing things like electrical problems, Repairing buildings, Installing siding on buildings, Installing Instillation under buildings, and on days im not at office I would go out to camp grounds and keep up with the camp grounds and fix and repair things such as fixing broken door handles, Installing water pumps, Installing solar panels, Installing hot water heaters
Pros
Good enviroment and positive all the way around
Cons
Short breaks and health care
The most challenging job you will love
Trail and camp ground maintenance tech (Former Employee) –  Blanding, UTSeptember 5, 2016
The system includes 413 areas covering more than 84 million acres in every state, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. These areas include national parks, monuments, battlefields, military parks, historical parks, historic sites, lake shores, seashores, recreation areas, scenic rivers and trails, and the White House.
Pros
working with different pepole from other contries
Loved working for BLM
Biological Science Technician (Former Employee) –  Marsing, IDAugust 14, 2016
This was strictly a field work job, so for someone who loves to by outdoors, this was a great job. You need to be a person who is willing to hike long distances on rough terrain each day in extreme heat and high elevations.
Tedious intern work
Master Title Plat Intern (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 6, 2016
This position has been an exercise of my patience. The work I have been given, while important, is tedious and simple and is the main reason I wish to find a more fulfilling position either within the DOI or elsewhere.
Great Place
Petroleum Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 20, 2016
Really great place to work in and a great work environment. There is a lot of work to do, everyday is different challenge. The way the department is managed is perfect.
Pros
you only work your 40 hours
Cons
the salary is lower than what it should be.
Wwcc
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJune 13, 2016
Great school and a great place to work and get a great start in working world. the people are warm an welcoming and just willing to help you with any thing
Awful
Telecommunications Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87113June 3, 2016
Awful bosses, awful place to work. You'll laugh at how incompetent the supervisors are until you realize you're cleaning up after them.
not a good agency to work for
Biological Science Technician, (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMay 26, 2016
The DOI is one of many Government agencies that represent the worst that the Federal Government has to offer. The have taken full time positions and re defined them as term positions or seasonal positions. Advancement is impossible unless you are on the "in" with the agency. Nepotism is rampant and pay is low.
Pros
work outside
Cons
low pay, nepotism, poor leadership, zero chance for advancement
Great place to work with great job advancement
District Hydrologist (Former Employee) –  Ely, NVMay 24, 2016
Working for the Department of the interior is great. Its difficult to get in and often people have to live in less desirable locations to get their foot in the door, but it's worth it.
Pros
Good pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Hard to get a job with them
Rewarding Career Opportunities
Southern Nevada Recreation Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 24, 2016
Although my work in the federal service has been incredibly rewarding and my career has continuously progressed, my passion lies in community engagement and meeting the needs of the people within my community. My ability to lead is the richest when I am focused on leading a team that is focused on building a better future for youth, families and the surrounding communities.
A great Career for raising a family
Facility Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Canyon National Park, AZMay 12, 2016
Being a National Park Ranger has its merits it's an experience few people get to enjoy. The work/Life balance is truly amazing and emphasis is always on family first.
It is a great place to work.
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UT 84790April 25, 2016
A typical day is 8 hours. I have a great boss and co workers I enjoy working with. I am constantly learning new things, which I like to do. The hardest part of the job is being interupted while I am in the middle of a project, because I like to see my jobs through. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility, the people I work with, and that I like what I am doing.
Physical Security/Security Operation Center (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 21, 2016
Great employee
Great management
Great co-workers
Great working environment
Great location
Free parking
Nice café
Nice coffee shop
Fast paced and only temporary.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHApril 17, 2016
Speedway was a great summer job or first job for someone else but you must be flexible and hard working. Speedway may be perfect for college students.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Work
A rewarding place to practice law.
Attorney Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2016
A very professional and rewarding place to work in the field of environmental and energy law on issues on national significance and import.
The majority of my 13 years management was excellent
Cost/Revenue Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COApril 2, 2016
The employees at DOI were hard working, team players.
I need minimul supervision so a typical day at work was making sure I provided quality work in a timely manner.
Its an awesome experience
Range Technician (Firefighter type (Former Employee) –  Shoshone, IDMarch 18, 2016
Working for the BLM,as a firefighter is one of the best ways to feel useful and like you have a greater purpose by protecting the land that is peoples livelihoods.
Department of Interior Las Cruces
Environmental Protection Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 15, 2016
Just retired from the military. Nothing like the military. There is no communications between anyone. Everyone does not have thick skin and can not take corrective criticism. I walk miles almost every other day with no chance at a promotion or a permanent job.
Pros
Government Job
Cons
Everyone is stuck up. Not the military. No structure or communication.
Cartographer, Land Law Clerk, Conveyance Examiner, Drafter
catographer (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 14, 2016
My job with Bureau of Land Management gave me many job experiences. I learned how to multi task in the public room helping customers with oil and gas accounts and land law transactions, as a Land Law Clerk. I also, researched many land cases for property and property ownership and boundaries using Legal Land description.
I learned how to be detailed oriented being a Cartographer, portraying mapping skills and transferring them into the computer systems (AutoCad, Excel, ARCvu, and Arcmap, Meta Data).
Pros
8-5 job, hour lunch break, paid time off
Cons
poor communication in different departments
Very Productive and Balanced
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAMarch 14, 2016
It is a Great work environment with people willing to work as a team to accomplish the task at hand. The supervisors are very knowledgeable and professional.

Department of the Interior Reviews by Location