Department of the Interior

Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Productive workplace with very nice people
Position as a clerk (Former Employee), Rock Springs, WYFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: two breaks a day, and plenty of lunch time, flexible hours, calm but fun work environment
Cons: indoors
My days were mostly filled with shredding paper, filing information, and scanning huge documents. It sounds boring, but I have always loved having something to do, and the small tedious jobs can be very enjoyable for me. I enjoyed the management, they were great people to talk to and very willing to answer questions. My co-workers were all very hard workers, and very fun to talk to. The hardest part of the job was that I spent most of my days inside, when the whether outside was warm and sunny. The most enjoyable part of the job were the days where I had more work to do. I don't like to sit around, and being able to work all day keeps me motivated and makes the days seem to go by faster.
Wildlife Biologist loves added responsibilities
Biological Science Technician (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2015
Great work experience with a lot of demanding, but rewarding elements. Allowed me to utilize an environmental education role that I previously had no experience in. And gave me many independent projects and management roles.
great location for work
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYFebruary 9, 2015
management are very friendly
they are not on your back as long as you get the job done
great location for work
get to meet a lot of people at work
I enjoyed working with customers and accounting
Secretary/Accounting Technician (Former Employee), Coolidge, AZFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: working with figures and balancing ledgers, working with customers, job security and excellent benefits
I loved working in the Accounting Division and it was very satisfying when I would balance the daily accounts. I challenged myself each and every day to balance the ledger on a first time attempt. Liked working with the customers. I kept the department in a jovial attitude, which was infectious and carried over to the customers. I loved my Supervisor, Jacquelyn Curley, although she held all of us to a very high standard, she was very fair and always had our backs with Management. She was very rewarding of our efforts and had an open door policy, which relieved some of the stress of working in an Accounting Department.
received multiple certifications with in the building
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Medford, ORFebruary 5, 2015
Executed daily operations of filing and organizing confidential records with strong organization and analytical skills. Made spreadsheets and entered payment and budget information with Excel, Access and Microsoft Word. Also Worked with FBMS entering data. Organized and stocked shelves for the warehouse. Received a certificate for successfully passing FISSA Privacy and Records Management. Provided administrative support for the department such as answering telephones, assisting visitors and receiving deliveries.
Structured, demanding environment
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee), Pocatello, IDFebruary 5, 2015
This job provided me with the opportunities to challenge myself mentally and physically. Days ranged from eight to twenty-four hours of work in adverse conditions. I learned to manage my stress and physical stamina in extreme conditions.
Best job I've had my whole life, seriously.
Range Technician (Former Employee), Idaho Falls, IDFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: 3 days off a week
Cons: seasonal only
Ride ATV's all day hunting noxious weeds and spraying them with chemicals.
Everyday Monday through Thursday work starts at 6am and typically are off around 430pm, 40 hours a week, no overtime.
Job only lasts 4 months though.
We were allowed to listen to music as we cruise the deserts of Idaho on four-wheelers.
Backcountry Park Ranger
Okay to contact this Supervisor, yes (Former Employee), Moose, WYJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: once in a life time
Cons: only four months
This was an great job a lot of contact with Park visitors. I got the oppertunity to experience some great country.
I enjoyed the diversity of the different applications of the park.
Work as the backcountry Ranger issuing backcountry camping permits. Selling federal Park Passes. Worked in the interpretive section of the visitors Center. The hardest job for me was the limited time I had to work at such a great park
Enjoyable work environment. Great relationships with customers and vendors.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Post Falls, IDJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: flexable hours, great work environment
Cons: small chance for advancement
I enjoyed working with this company. Everything from the customers to the vendors. It was a real learning experience. I answered telephones, took and imputed orders, assisted customers with their office supply needs.
Best job I've had
Trails Maintenance Laborer (Former Employee), Marblemount, WAJanuary 25, 2015
Working for Trail Crew with the National Park Service was the best job I've had. It was a lot of physically demanding work but because of my fellow crew members the hours blew past. I would love to be able to get back on again.
Great working environment
Laborer/Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: meeting people
Cons: seasonal not full time
7:00 to 3:30, learning about the history of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Meet people from all over the world.
Great field work
National Park Service Park Ranger (Eruption Crew) (Former Employee), Hawaii National Park, HIJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: government work
Cons: funding ran out for position
 Hiked front and back country trails to report on conditions and problems

 Helped visitors with first aid and information needs

 Assisted Law Enforcement with crowd, parking and traffic control management on Kilauea

volcano

 Operated within the Incident Command System

 Maintained National Park Service “Emergency Medical Responder” EMS provider and Basic

Life Support for Healthcare Provider credentials
Great opportunities
Outdoor Recreation Planning/LA Intern (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJanuary 13, 2015
I loved working for the Park Service. I learned a lot and was giving a lot of leeway to pursue other projects I thought needed to be done. I had a lot of opportunity to travel too.
Business Plan Intern (Former Employee), Asheville, NCJanuary 9, 2015
Culture is phenomenal, but as with any government job, things move slowly.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Morristown, NJJanuary 7, 2015
I've done volunteer work for several years for the Department and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't say for any job security, benefits, or things of that nature. The people who run the volunteer programs are all well trained, appreciative, and great to work with.
Worked with wonderful office and field personnel. They were always willing to help you learn.
Senior Lead Law Enforcement Dispatcher (Former Employee), Boulder City, NVDecember 18, 2014
Pros: were the extra money and compensation you got when working holidays.
Cons: management could have been a lot better.
Loved the job. Helping others to solve their problems and meeting the field personnel was excellent. Would go into work on own when things were backed up or for a holiday. Management was minimal or non-exsistant. Co-workers were always there to help and work when needed. The hardest part of the job was calming people down who were involved with the injury of a child. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping someone who needed it.
Range Technician (Former Employee), Shoshone, IDDecember 17, 2014
Pros: traveling and excitment
Cons: long hours at times
Typical day is never the same. Exciting job with a fast work pace. Good leadership and opportunities to advance.
Fun, outdoor workplace
Wildland fire firefighter (Former Employee), Vale, ORDecember 15, 2014
Pros: free snacks, outdoor work, paid travel
Cons: short breaks, 16-hour+ work days at times, arduous labor
The majority of the duties performed by a wildland firefighter are outdoors. Experiencing elements of all four seasons is not uncommon. Depending upon where you are stationed, you may experience all four seasons within a few days. Most duties are related to prescribed burning, wildfire suppression, and fire preparedness. These duties include serving as a firefighter or engine operator during prescribed burning and wildfire suppression activities; conducting regular maintenance and repairs on various equipment such as fire engines, tractors, mowers, chain saws, and hand tools; serving as a crew member during fire break preparation which involves rock removal, mowing, trimming, tree and brush removal. You may have the potential to assist other refuges as well as other federal or state agencies throughout the nation with prescribed burning and wildfire suppression. When not involved with fire related activities, you may provide assistance in conducting natural resources related project work on behalf of the Fish and Wildlife Service's many refuges throughout the country.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Each position is classed as an arduous fire position under the Interagency Wildfire Qualifications Standards adopted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. As a condition of employment, you must pass a pre-employment medical examination (which the Service will pay for). You will be required to achieve an arduous rating on the "Pack Test," which requires you to walk 3 miles with a 45 pound backpack in 45 minutes or less. The Pack Test is correlated to measures of aerobic and muscular fitness – more... as well as performance in field tasks such as working with hand tools or carrying loads over rough terrain. The Pack Test will be administered when you first report for duty. If you cannot meet the required fitness score for the Pack Test when it is initially administered, you must retake the test within a two week period. In the event you are unable to meet and maintain the fitness requirements you may be terminated in accordance with applicable personnel regulations.
Most positions require working on an engine or hand crew. This will entail working with as few as two individuals to as many as 20 individuals. Whether it is two or 20, it is imperative that you can work well with others. Communication with others is a vital part of the success of the job. Primary contacts are generally other crew members, crew supervisors, and others in the wild land fire management organization.
Most seasonal positions work 40 hours per week, but part-time and "intermittent" openings may be an option occasionally. Some positions require non-standard work schedules such as four 10-hour days, ten days on and four days off, or other variations. Early and late season employment is on an as-needed basis, depending on weather, fire season, and budgets. A 40-hour week is not guaranteed during pre or post-season work.
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED If selected for a fire position you will be expected to wear protective and safety equipment. The government will supply most items - hard hat, leather gloves, fire resistant clothing, backpack, tent, etc. However, you will need to purchase a GOOD pair
of firefighting boots. You will be reimbursed up to a certain amount for the boots. It is a very good idea to break the boots in BEFORE the first day of work. Other than boots, you will only need to furnish your personal belongings.
OUTDOOR SKILLS Can you drive a truck with a manual transmission? Can you change a tire? Can you run a chainsaw? Can you pitch a tent? Can you tie half a dozen knots and sharpen a knife? Can you read a topographic map? Can you use a compass? Learning how to get by and make do in the outdoors comes in handy. If you don't currently have any outdoor skills - ARE YOU WILLING TO LEARN? If you are willing to learn the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is willing to train you. Any outdoor skills that you currently possess will be to your benefit.
HOUSING Many of the refuges in this region provide housing for their seasonal fire crews for a nominal fee. In some cases the location of the position may be remote and refuge housing may be the only option. On the other hand some refuges are located near small towns that have properties available to rent. – less
Rewarding and Challenging Work
Education Coordinator (Current Employee), Flat Rock, NCDecember 15, 2014
I truly enjoy the work that I do with the agency. It is rewarding in that I have opportunities to connect with people from all over the world, and all ages and demographics in promoting the stewardship of our special places. It is challenging in that we wear many hats, and our work is very interdisciplinary, so we have to be strong at multi-tasking as well as have great attention to detail, but be able to see the big picture and mission of the agency. Another exciting part is that while a"typical" day would most often involve me conducting a guided tour or education program for a group, there are very few typical days. We are frequently involved with public affairs activities, grant writing, fascilitating meetings, staff large public events, working with students on citizen science programs, managing volunteers. etc. etc.
Great Experience, Low Pay
Forestry Technician (Former Employee), Los Banos, CANovember 30, 2014
As with most temporary fire jobs, this only lasts during the fire season (3-4 months). It is great experience, lots of downtime and physical labor, but also some fun natural resource projects. If your supervisor is nice, he may allow you to do more interesting work, other than pick sticks up.

Department of the Interior Photos