Department of the Interior Employee Reviews in United States

Tedious intern work
Master Title Plat Intern (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 6, 2016
This position has been an exercise of my patience. The work I have been given, while important, is tedious and simple and is the main reason I wish to find a more fulfilling position either within the DOI or elsewhere.
Great Place to work
Public Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2016
Its hard to advance here but it an awesome place to work. Fast place environment. Co-workers are great. Management is very laid back
Room for advancment
Realty Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Duchesne, UTSeptember 26, 2015
Great place to work. Room for personal growth and advancement
My coworkers are great. Management always willing to help if needed.
A great Career for raising a family
Facility Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Canyon National Park, AZMay 12, 2016
Being a National Park Ranger has its merits it's an experience few people get to enjoy. The work/Life balance is truly amazing and emphasis is always on family first.
Good place to work and challenging at times
Contract Specialist, DOI (Former Employee) –  Hoquiam, WAApril 7, 2015
Check voicemail and discuss daily tasks with boss. Check for invoices to be processed. Inventory supplies and check incoming shipments for completeness, any damage and process receiving report or claims. Processed Purchase Order. Inspected construction projects and reported findings. I learned about the culture of theBureau and ways of doing business. My co-workers were friendly and we worked well together. The hardest part of the job was insuring small businesses were paid in a timely fashion. Hardest part of the job was knowing there was no room for advancement because I was not native american in whole or in part.
I enjoyed learning the native american culture and visiting the reservations.
Pros
Enjoyed being my own boss
Cons
Unable to advance my career with the bureau.
Wwcc
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJune 13, 2016
Great school and a great place to work and get a great start in working world. the people are warm an welcoming and just willing to help you with any thing
Awful
Telecommunications Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87113June 3, 2016
Awful bosses, awful place to work. You'll laugh at how incompetent the supervisors are until you realize you're cleaning up after them.
Not the job for me
Clerk/intern (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMarch 16, 2015
It is a good job, if you are into government positions. I was an intern and decided I would try it out before picking a career. I realized I am not an office/cubicle person! The pay/benefits are fantastic! But, my manager was not very nice. Hardest part of the job is sitting all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close-knit, kind group of people.
Pros
great pay/benefits
Cons
management in my department did not seem to have anyone's best interest in mind
Physical Security/Security Operation Center (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 21, 2016
Great employee
Nice café
Nice coffee shop
The majority of my 13 years management was excellent
Cost/Revenue Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COApril 2, 2016
The employees at DOI were hard working, team players.
I need minimul supervision so a typical day at work was making sure I provided quality work in a timely manner.
Fast paced and only temporary.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHApril 17, 2016
Speedway was a great summer job or first job for someone else but you must be flexible and hard working. Speedway may be perfect for college students.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Work
Very Productive and Balanced
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAMarch 14, 2016
It is a Great work environment with people willing to work as a team to accomplish the task at hand. The supervisors are very knowledgeable and professional.
A job in the best places of America and with a giant responsibility.
CustoPark Ranger/Educator (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKDecember 9, 2012
National parks are going through a tough time, but remain an organization with a giant responsibility. In order to keep special places preserved for future generations we must keep national parks free of commercialism and a place safe for lands, cultures and all living things. A big part of the job is providing a connection for visitors to the resource so the people want to preserve and care for the resources. Co-workers are top of the line and very professional and still cheerful and fun-loving. Management is usually well done, even though budgets and sometimes jobs depend on the government and its decisions.
Pros
location
Cons
government and lack of benefits for the majority of workers, including seasonal and term jobs.
Its an awesome experience
Range Technician (Firefighter type (Former Employee) –  Shoshone, IDMarch 18, 2016
Working for the BLM,as a firefighter is one of the best ways to feel useful and like you have a greater purpose by protecting the land that is peoples livelihoods.
A rewarding place to practice law.
Attorney Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2016
A very professional and rewarding place to work in the field of environmental and energy law on issues on national significance and import.
Great place for single people if the park will let you have housing....
WG4 (Current Employee) –  Guadalupe Mountains National Park, TXJune 28, 2014
Because of oil fields booming... the cost of living has skyrocketed in one of the closest towns. The other closest town has minimal housing. IF the salary offered will allow you to have housing... or if you are offered park housing... not a bad place to work at all. Bear in mind that because it is so small... the culture is one of inclusion. Think good ol boy.... If you do not get park housing you will probably not hear much about park goings on. If you do hear about things.... and do not live in the park, you had better be able to afford the gas to drive back and forth.... or just be really good at making your own entertainment.

Make sure your salary is high enough so you can create a decent existence for yourself. Make sure you are happy with the position or are able to move up or on....
Pros
park housing maybe, fall colors, free wifi, gym in park, 80 miles of trails
Cons
movie theater, grocery store, etc... far, far away.... management is good ol boy. communication is often absent, leading to confusion and feelings of lack of accomplishment.
Great place to work.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 1, 2016
Flexability to work hours that are best for you. Company provides fruit and snacks for employees. Downtown location close to everything
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
low pay
Bia
Electrical Services Branch Chief (Current Employee) –  Parker, AZSeptember 29, 2015
Poor management, communications and feedback. A very bad place to work.
Upper management does not support needs of the staff in field locations. There are many fragmented segments to the organization and none of them communicate well with the other groups. Trying to accomplish a task under this fragmented structure is nearly impossible.
Typical Government Job
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 22, 2015
I enjoyed my position as an Accounting Tech and my colleagues. I held a SCEP Position while I finished my college degree, which was a excellent opportunity. Typical government job with red tape and politics. I also survived a reorganization, which is not fun, but typical of the government.
Great mission objective and good people.
Biological Science Technician (GS-5) (Current Employee) –  Cape May, NJOctober 16, 2015
I really enjoy my job.

Working for a federal service is great, nobody there is doing it for the money.

The science is sound, and conservation is supremely important.
Pros
good people, great mission
Cons
no promotion potential, low funding

Department of the Interior Reviews by Location