Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Second largest contributor to general fund
Minerals Management Service (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 25, 2017
Great location (denver) working with oil, gas and minerals industry. Great people working as trust agents for native americans interests. Great minds in accounting and auditing.
Pros
Ski nearby
Cons
Difficult cliential
good company
Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 24, 2017
I worked under buildings, Insulating.
I learned to be a carpenters helper.
Management treated me like I was one of there own.
worked with friends.
Hardest part of job was when job ended.
Beautiful office and surroundings with great staff
Archaeological Technician (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NVApril 24, 2017
This was a position that I had while I was going to school to receive my Bachelor's degree in Anthropology. They were very understanding in regards to my school/work balance and made every day a great learning experience. I was able to practice my archaeology and exercised every ay when we would hike to our site to survey and records anything we found.
Government red tape and non-local interference keeps job from being overall satisfying
Landscape Architect (Former Employee) –  Alaska State Office of the BLMApril 23, 2017
Great opportunities for learning land management and making special places for the United States. Excellent opportunities to learn of the environment and lands in the public trust. Great travel opportunities.

Interference and coordination with Washington and Denver nationwide centers can be frustrating and confusing. Changes in administrations and leaders can be frustrating and demoralizing. Conflict between district, state, and national offices can be a slow and difficult conflict.

Generally consistent pay, good benefits, good working conditions.

Need to be patient and work the line between customer satisfaction and red tape and regulations.
Pros
Travel to varied public lands, training opportunities, benefits
Cons
Red Tape, long decision time, slow paced project timelines, forms and formal culture the norm
Work schedule flexibility, pleasant teamworking environment
Administrative Technician, A.A., Office Mgr (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 20, 2017
Typical day at work: Performing administrative duties with pleasant team members and highly supportive management.

What you learned: Gained experience performing Administrative Technician, Secretary and Office Manager duties.

Workplace culture: Pleasant, harmonic, relaxed home away from home environment..

Management: Highly supportive and met with employees for annual updates on career development

The hardest part of the job: 1.5 hours one-way commute

The most enjoyable part of the job: Gained excellent experience, pleasant team members and management.
Pros
Pleasat work enviroment, excellent mgmt and team members
Cons
Productive and fun work place that enables me to work outside all the time
Ecology Village team member (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 20, 2017
Whenever I showed up to work I was able to have fun while working outside with children. When children visited, I helped them learn about Ecology and how to make the world a better place by limiting pollution and other things.
conservation ethic
Associate District Manager (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORApril 7, 2017
Dedicated people. Rewarding working with visitors and preserving our natural treasures. Good customer service. Don't like current President, need to retire..
Benefits
Cons
Fun place to work, little room for growth.
Park Guide (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZApril 5, 2017
I learned that the government is very hard to advance in. Many people sit in positions and don't necessarily do their jobs fully. Many times lots of mistakes are made in HR and people lose their jobs unnecessarily.
Pros
A lot to learn.
Cons
Not a lot of direction.
Wonderful organization making a difference but needs refinement.
Park Guide (Former Employee) –  New YorkApril 4, 2017
The National Park Service has the right ideas and missions but there definitely needs to be some major changes made. Not enough efforts are being put forth. There's plenty of room for improvement.
worst job experience o lifetime
Campground Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford City, NDMarch 30, 2017
I have nothing positive to say except met alot of great Americans.The patrons were the best and come from all walks of life.People are interesting their ways and lifestyles.
great
Volunteer, Peidras Blanca Light Station (Former Employee) –  San Simeon, CAMarch 27, 2017
great place to work. getting to meet people from all over the world. fur to work outdoors and tell the story of the light station. will miss the station.
Cons
cold
Best job I've ever had
Visitor Use Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Rainier National Park, WAMarch 2, 2017
Yes, its the federal government. But there are some really wonderful people that work in the National Park Service.

As a Visitor Use Assistant, I took pride in representing the National Park Service, and enjoyed being the first person to welcome visitors to a beautiful place.
Every pay period we had ONE DAY where we had to get out on the trails and hike, to enjoy the park too.
I've had opportunities to help out at the Visitor Centers, as well as walk around the campgrounds and even share smores with families from around the globe!
I love the outdoors so this job was amazing. The park employees are very diverse, and so are the millions of visitors. As a seasonal park ranger, you can move around to different parks throughout the country and learn more about nature.
Pros
being outdoors
Cons
exhaust fumes, congestion, small space to work
Awesome Job
Firefighter National Forestry Service (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 2, 2017
I enjoyed working with this company. They treat their employees well. They have great benefits and they're a great company to have worked for. It was a rigorous job, but totally worth it.
really hard
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAMarch 2, 2017
This was a very exciting and fun place to work. Must be physically fit and expect a ton of hiking and outdoors. It is physically demanding. You are in all weather situations from one extreme to another. I loved the experience but it was too difficult to maintain.
Pros
everything
Cons
hard to do
Rewarding but Stressful
Lead Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Pensacola Beach, FLMarch 1, 2017
Get certified by the National Registry of EMTs (NREMT)
Get certified for NLA Open Water Rescue
Get certified for CPR, AED, O2
Teach Junior lifeguards and new lifeguards
work 8am-6pm
Communicate with all patrons along 15 miles of beach
Treat any injuries- stingrays, sharks, heat stroke, broken bones, control blood loss, etc
Keep all swimmers safe
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Long days in the sun. People can die
Best job I've ever had!
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Gunnison, COFebruary 28, 2017
I highly recommend working for the National Park Service, it was the best job i've ever had! The work life balance was unbeatable and I could afford a living doing it!
Fun Workplace
Soil Scientist/ GIS Mapping Internship (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKFebruary 28, 2017
The workplace at the Bureau of Land Management - Fairbanks District Office is very entertaining. There are lots of interesting people, that are very warm and welcoming.
Pros
People are very nice
Cons
Weather
Good job opportunity
Maintenance Worker/Public Contact Rep (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAFebruary 24, 2017
I was hired as a temporary maintenance worker and given the opportunity to show my skills, knowledge, and experiences in performing job related tasks. This eventually lead into full time employment.
What You learned
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 24, 2017
I loved what I was doing the staff I was new employee and the staff treated my like they did not want me on the team. I really needed a job but being placed in dangerous situations all alone while staff went in teams was not the best for me.
Pros
work everyday was provided
Cons
staff was not friendly
Great Places Great Faces
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SD 57747February 15, 2017
Enjoyed working outdoors, job flexibility, great co-workers and supervisors to work with, easy to balance work and life. Take pride maintaining National Park.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of the Interior. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2