Department of the Interior Employee Reviews in United States

Room for advancment
Realty Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Duchesne, UTSeptember 26, 2015
Great place to work. Room for personal growth and advancement
My coworkers are great. Management always willing to help if needed.
Resourceful and organized
Tourism Research & Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2015
The department was extremely well organized in any ways. For a research job, it was resourceful enough to provide almost any references. I learnt a lot about tourism planning, heritage and cultural travel, research and marketing in tourism industry, communication, web design and marvelous sceneries in the United States.
Typical Government Job
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COSeptember 22, 2015
I enjoyed my position as an Accounting Tech and my colleagues. I held a SCEP Position while I finished my college degree, which was a excellent opportunity. Typical government job with red tape and politics. I also survived a reorganization, which is not fun, but typical of the government.
Physically and mentally engaging workplace, coworkers were what made this job amazing.
River Ranger Intern (Current Employee) –  Fort Benton, MTSeptember 19, 2015
My days at work can be grouped into On The River and Off The River. Any days on the river were great. River patrols would be assigned every other week, ranging from 1 night - 3 nights of camping. The patrols are very labor intensive, paddling 7+ hours a day, cleaning camp sites, picking up trash out of the river, and setting up camp for the night, and then doing it all again the next day. The hard physical work is worth it if you're an outdoors person and love the thought of essentially getting paid to camp and canoe and socialize.

I've had to learn a lot about the history of Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument for work as well as surrounding area history in order for me to properly assist guests and visitors.

All of my co-workers are amazing and super friendly, nice, and accepting. I've never worked with such a wide spectrum of people from different backgrounds and walks of life all with an amazing happy, encouraging, caring attitude. Emphasis on caring, everyone was always making sure you had enough water to drink, or that you ate lunch, or that you're not over working yourself in the sun.

My boss and my two supervisors were all great guys, they all were very much into helping out as much as possible and always looked out for everyone. They were very accommodating when it came to the schedule and any and all emergencies that came up.

I have to say the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to go hiking after we were done with work for the day while we were on our river patrols.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the physical labor on
  more... hot days. Installing fencing, gates, hauling materials, landscape work.  less
Pros
camping, canoeing, kayaking, and hiking are part of this job!
Cons
Physically intensive work on very hot summer days.
Great place to work, limited career ladder
Cultural Anthropology Program Fellow (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 13, 2015
The NPS is a great place to work. It is very lax and I love the work that we do in regards to historic/cultural education, historic preservation, and cultural resources management. However, it is hard to get promoted due to several people refusing to retire and the consolidation of job duties.
National Park Service
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hyde park , nyAugust 29, 2015
Gave tours of Eleanor Roosevelts home, learned history. Hardest part of the job was keeping kids from touching artifacts. Enjoyable ppart of the job was teaching people the history and making their time special.
Pros
Hour break
Cons
Hot ranger outfit
Excellent working environment and great leadership
Senior Security Analyst/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 18, 2015
Excellent working environment and great leadership. The DOI is a very large agency that oversees the U.S Geological Survey, and the Department of Parks and Recreation to name a few.
great place to work
maintenance mechinac (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg VAAugust 15, 2015
Meeting a lot of different people. learning a lot of different things not associated with the job. Made potable water for the National Park Service.
Very Productive
Bus. Systems Analyst / Exec. Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 14, 2015
My direct manager was wonderful. She tried everything she could to get me on permanent, was like pulling teeth in the State Office, not because of work performance but because I had no military status. I held very good positions because of manager but was not paid for those positions. The experience was well worth it. I learned about project analysis and project management. Took courses held through the Federal Government for Federal Appropriations Law and Project Management. Assisted in multi-million dollars budgeting and database management in financing. If I could only rate Karla Norris...she was an exceptional manager.

Because I worked for the federal government most of us were not native to the area..different walks of life, great working with people from all over the united states.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
decisions from state office and DC who are unattached is not fair
Our goal daily is to meet the needs of the Indian Country Tribes in the most effective and communicative way possible.
CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 13, 2015
Work is demanding and rewarding to meet the daily demands for all of our positions.
I believe in the goals set by the BIA and do my upmoist to provide outstanding, communicative and accurate service.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMAugust 6, 2015
I learned so much about our land, rights, and enjoyed all the work that I was responsible for and all the departments I was able to assist during my volunteer work with the Bureau of Land Management.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
wished I would have been able to get hired as a full time employee
Plenty of promotion from within
Biological Technician (Wildlife) (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 1, 2015
The BLM is an exciting place to work where the people know their jobs and can be counted on to help out if asked. The management shows concern for their workers and allows them to do their jobs without micromanagement.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
An unpaid lunch that's taken on the job
Amazing
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Tuskegee, Institute - Tuskegee AlabamaJuly 28, 2015
An awesome experience with awesome people! This is a great place to grow and create an enjoyable profession. The work load can become very demanding but it is all worth it.
Had a very good career, looking to continue after retirement
Incident Commander & investigator & Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Bushkill, PA & Layton NJ areasJuly 24, 2015
Was a very good career. Changing residence to New Hartford, NY area. Able to take position within commuting distance from this location.
Pros
Fairly good money
Cons
Call outs, family life suffered
great outdoors work environment and hard working
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Fort Defiance, AZJuly 15, 2015
hard work on the line doing construction of fire line and using methods to extinguish the flames. I have learned the duties of an emergency wildland fire fighter and a squad boss. taking care of each other like family. co workers are very hard working and put out 110%. hardest part of the job was the long days on the line sometimes 24 hour shifts. most enjoyable part of the job was doing the hot lining running straight into the flames to protect wildlife and surrounding towns.
Pros
great environment in the forest
Cons
very tiring
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Monte Vista, COJune 30, 2015
This should coincide with the survey tech position at the BLM. But great work and home life balance. Great work schedule.
Bureau of Land Management/Colorado River Valley Field Office
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Silt, COJune 29, 2015
Working for the government for 29 years, is a great accomplishment. Government is always changing. New procedures/policies/regulations and new vendors. This is the hard part. Once you have a system under your belt, a NEW system comes and it's learning all over again. Staff are needy, Management doesn't follow-up, but we get along well.

I love the budget, so dealing with money makes me happy. I like providing solutions to problems that occur on a day to day basis.

I have great friends and long to retire in 10 years.
Pros
Food provided by management at each staff meeting
Cons
A LOT of personalities create lots of challenges.
Cool and interesting place
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 29, 2015
The Department of the Interior was an interesting place to go and visit through the National Park Service, the workers were really nice and friendly. So they made my experience that much better.
Lack of Management Interaction
FOIA/PA Appeals Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2015
- Busy all the time
- I learned to process an appeal from beginning to end.
- Horrible management style. Lack of communication/interaction between management and subordinates.
- Co workers are friendly and helpful.
The hardest part is when supervisor isn't around for questions/advise and this is 3-4 days a week.
- None that I can remember
Summer job
Trail Blazer (Former Employee) –  auberry,caJune 17, 2015
There's nothing like working in the 100 degree weather to make new walkways for the San Joaquin river. It's hot and miserable but a good way to learn some work ethics.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
too hot