Department of the Interior Employee Reviews

Intern (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, SDNovember 4, 2016
The National Park Service is one of the greatest places you could hope to work. The job is very fun and satisfying. The people you work with are happy to be there. The environment is very friendly and enjoyable.
Dynamic of the office was outstanding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 27, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for DOI. The work was challenging at times, but always enjoyable. My coworkers and management were so easy to get along with that it made my job much more enjoyable.
Pros
Office Dynamic
Cons
N/A
short term job
Water truck driver (Former Employee) –  Glamis, CAOctober 25, 2016
only worked two weeks, hard work, driving time. it sucks to only work two weeks at temp job. was looking for full-time job with benefits
Cons
Customer oriented, excellent customer service organization
Closeout Specialist (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 25, 2016
A nice place to work, people are terrific. A customer service oriented organization. Great customer service provided to all clients. Great communications with customers, vendors, clients in all aspects of acquisitions.
I loved helping people
Wildland Firefighter specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 24, 2016
I really enjoyed saving people lives and property. It gave me a sense of happiness and joy knowing that I help someone who need it my help. I enjoy traveling seeing nice forest and other towns that I never seen before. Enjoy seeing animals in the wild.
Pros
saving lives
Cons
missing family fighting fire going on long trips
Long running project comes to an end.
Senior Windows Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COOctober 23, 2016
Learned how to get things done in a GOV environment. It is different than Commercial workflow. I also gained the experience of a Nation wide collaboration of combined systems and people.
Pros
Ownership of a project's outcome is dependent on individual ethics.
Cons
Ownership of a project's outcome is dependent on individual ethics.
Great experience in a beautiful place.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Ashford, WAOctober 18, 2016
I worked at Mount Rainier and had the best summer of my life. Great place to work with a very loving environment. Can be afflicted by inefficiencies of government, though.
Productive and fun work place
Wildland Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Vale, OROctober 11, 2016
Definitely my favorite job, nothing like going out and fighting a fire, hi risk hi reward, should improve the meal plans though
Everybody wants to be a Ranger!
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Florissant, COSeptember 27, 2016
The best part of this job is being a National Park Service Ranger. Everyone who comes in says "you're so lucky to have this job!!" To do it well it means working hard, spending a lot of hours of preparing programs and sometimes, waiting for hours on a ridgeline for wildlife that decide to go somewhere else on a whim.
The vast majority of the jobs the the NPS are seasonal, summer type jobs, so that's one reason you'll see a lot of retirees as Park Rangers. When you only have work for 6 months a year, you need a 2nd source of income. There are generally very few people out in the parks who don't really want to be there, so the working environment is great.
To look for NPS jobs, you have to find them on USAJobs, the Government's official website. Search where you want to work and be sure to tailor your USAJobs resume specifically to the opening you are applying for.
Pros
Working outdoors, being with nature
Cons
seasonal work, hard to find openings
Great place of work
Budget and Financial Analysis Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2016
Great place of business. Room for growth and learning. Great opportunities. Great atmosphere. I loved this place. They really do work with your ideas as an individual although they are a large company
Productive, hard working, everyone helps eveyone kind of workplace
Maintenance / Camp grounds worker (Former Employee) –  Glennallen, AKSeptember 12, 2016
on certain days I would go in and do maintenance at the main office fixing things like electrical problems, Repairing buildings, Installing siding on buildings, Installing Instillation under buildings, and on days im not at office I would go out to camp grounds and keep up with the camp grounds and fix and repair things such as fixing broken door handles, Installing water pumps, Installing solar panels, Installing hot water heaters
Pros
Good enviroment and positive all the way around
Cons
Short breaks and health care
The most challenging job you will love
Trail and camp ground maintenance tech (Former Employee) –  Blanding, UTSeptember 5, 2016
The system includes 413 areas covering more than 84 million acres in every state, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. These areas include national parks, monuments, battlefields, military parks, historical parks, historic sites, lake shores, seashores, recreation areas, scenic rivers and trails, and the White House.
Pros
working with different pepole from other contries
Loved working for BLM
Biological Science Technician (Former Employee) –  Marsing, IDAugust 14, 2016
This was strictly a field work job, so for someone who loves to by outdoors, this was a great job. You need to be a person who is willing to hike long distances on rough terrain each day in extreme heat and high elevations.
Tedious intern work
Master Title Plat Intern (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 6, 2016
This position has been an exercise of my patience. The work I have been given, while important, is tedious and simple and is the main reason I wish to find a more fulfilling position either within the DOI or elsewhere.
Great Place
Petroleum Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 20, 2016
Really great place to work in and a great work environment. There is a lot of work to do, everyday is different challenge. The way the department is managed is perfect.
Pros
you only work your 40 hours
Cons
the salary is lower than what it should be.
Wwcc
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJune 13, 2016
Great school and a great place to work and get a great start in working world. the people are warm an welcoming and just willing to help you with any thing
Awful
Telecommunications Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87113June 3, 2016
Awful bosses, awful place to work. You'll laugh at how incompetent the supervisors are until you realize you're cleaning up after them.
not a good agency to work for
Biological Science Technician, (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMay 26, 2016
The DOI is one of many Government agencies that represent the worst that the Federal Government has to offer. The have taken full time positions and re defined them as term positions or seasonal positions. Advancement is impossible unless you are on the "in" with the agency. Nepotism is rampant and pay is low.
Pros
work outside
Cons
low pay, nepotism, poor leadership, zero chance for advancement
Great place to work with great job advancement
District Hydrologist (Former Employee) –  Ely, NVMay 24, 2016
Working for the Department of the interior is great. Its difficult to get in and often people have to live in less desirable locations to get their foot in the door, but it's worth it.
Pros
Good pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Hard to get a job with them
Rewarding Career Opportunities
Southern Nevada Recreation Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 24, 2016
Although my work in the federal service has been incredibly rewarding and my career has continuously progressed, my passion lies in community engagement and meeting the needs of the people within my community. My ability to lead is the richest when I am focused on leading a team that is focused on building a better future for youth, families and the surrounding communities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of the Interior. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2