DePaul Community Services Employee Reviews

Hostile Work Enviornment
IT (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 7, 2018
The IT department is a disaster. I would not recommend working at this organization, as the senior management has turned a blind eye to the behavior of toxic elements within the organization.
Pros
Well Compensated
Cons
IT might as well be a scene out of "Lord of the Flies"
not the best place to work
Application Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 18, 2017
This was not the best place to work. everyone seemed to get off by throwing people under the bus constantly. the management was terrible. Plus the people who had power like the VPs thought that they can control anyone anytime.
Great company
Counselor/Assistant Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 13, 2017
Great company to work for; provides wonderful service to their clients and treats employees well. Flexibility in scheduling is a plus. Great for entry level and advancement opportunity.
Great Place
QMHP (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 19, 2017
Interesting job, working with various clients aging from14 to 63, with disabilities ranging from physical to mental, and behavioral.
Great staff to work with who were very helpful in teaching me what needed to be done.
DePaul is a good organization however should be paying their employees more for the amount of work they do
Residential Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 17, 2017
Depaul Community Services is a great organization however, they do not pay their employees for the amount of work they do. Too much paper work and duties performed by single employees and unnecessary service plans (4 a year). When working with mental health population, realistic goals should be put in place
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
unpaid lunch breaks
Horrible company to work for!!!!!!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYAugust 22, 2017
DePaul in Henrietta NY is very unprofessional!! Management was awful. They had a team leader who Forged everyone's signature in the MAR's this same staff member also would HIDE residents medications! It's just a overall Bad place to work.
Growing agency
Residential Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 7, 2017
multiple locations to work. Overtime possible. generous amount of PTO. Supportive management. diverse population of staff and clients. family oriented. good benefits.
Excellent Company
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 5, 2017
Similar to many other reviews posted, I have worked for DePaul for several years, and am grateful that the management cares about the well-being of residents and other employees. Staff go above and beyond to provide good care to residents, and are given a lot of opportunities to move up in the agency.
Pros
Generous PTO, opportunities for advancement
Cons
The work is stressful, but the agency does what they can to provide support to staff.
Friendly staff not a bad place to work but awful management
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 16, 2017
Staff are friendly , loved the team but the management is awful. They feel as if they can talk to you rudely and it's ok and management also shows favoritism to certain aides. Decided to part ways with the company once management thought it was ok to talk to other aides and myself as if we were beneath them. Only certain rules apply to certain people , management picks and choices if they like you everything will run smooth have a run in with them or slightly disagree and things go down hill from there.But overall pay isn't bad and the staff and residents are very friendly.
Pros
Fair pay / paid time off
Cons
Rude management staff
Great agency
Assistant Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Rutherford placeMay 5, 2017
Great independent agency. Well established and sound practice regarding policy and procedure. Company promote from within. Left long standing hope cultivating personal longevity

Want to know more about DePaul Community Services?

Ask a question
good place to work and make friends
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 4, 2017
working at Depaul was great experience. Management was great and very supportive. Being a small division of the agency allowed for close professional relationships as well a strong team unit.
Pros
supportive management team
Cons
selling of dept to a larger agency.
Great place to work and learn.
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCMarch 31, 2017
Great mangers, team work, fair pay. I love going into work every day, my supervisor always makes sure we know how important we are, taking care of our sweet residents is the most rewarding.
Pros
Team Work, Caring Supervisors
Cons
No 401k
Excellent work environment
Residential Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 3, 2017
DePaul is an excellent and rewarding place to work. I personally enjoy helping others work through the obstacles. This company does excellent with assisting others who suffer with mental illness and substance abuse. There are clients who have done so well with the rehabilitation process that they have moved on to a more independent setting.
Pros
very rewarding
Cons
should make improvements with making their employees feel wanted
Assistant Residential Manager/Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 10, 2016
working with the clients is the best part of life. Writing treatment plans with the clients and helping them with daily living skills.
Excellent place to work
Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 3, 2016
I've worked for DePaul for almost 10 years. It's a great place to work; several people have quit to move on to other endeavors but most end up coming back to work for DePaul not long after they leave. The schedules are flexible and there's a great work/life balance. They understand that life happens. They also expect things to get done and people to be productive. DePaul recognizes that happy employees are productive employees. The benefits are great, and there are constantly social opportunities open to all staff; softball games, happy hour, cookouts...etc. Each month there's an activity held open to all employees. DePaul is in the business of helping people at the highest standard possible.
Child was in your home
therapeutic foster parent (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, VAOctober 20, 2015
Your day was taking care of the needs of the child in your care, making sure they attend school or taking care of appointments.
These children come to you needing a lot of care and understanding due to previous life styles with family.
Pros
Free lunches and help from Social Workers
Cons
Days free when children are at school
Rewarding and gives you the ability to truly help others
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 1, 2015
At a typical day at work I walk in and say hello to all my residents. I do whatever is needed at whatever site I am at. This can mean I am doing medicaid services with them, passing medications, preparing food for them, being there to talk with them if they need support,taking them out on there recreation outtings, taking them to medical/psychiatric appointments, and many other things. Depending on the week, I may work at four different sites in one week, which really gives me the ability to have diversity in my work days and meet so many new clients and staff. I truly enjoy my job because I am able to be there for my clients in their time of need, and give back to them in whatever ways I am able. The reason I am looking for something else, is 90% location. I live an hour away from all but one site and this makes it very difficult to support myself, as I spend most of my money on gas. The hardest part of my job at depaul is dealing with crisis' with the clients. On any given day, you may be sending someone to the ER for anything ranging from them being suicidal, catatonic, manic, severely depressed, having physical problems, etc. Management differs depending on what site I am working at, but for the most part I enjoy working with all the managers I have met so far. Depaul is a great company, but I do not agree with a lot of there policies and procedures. I am just looking for something different right now. My absolute favorite part of my job is interacting with the residents. It's a wonderful feeling when you can be there for them and help them in there time of need, when  more... they may not have anyone else to talk to and you can see how much they appreciate someone simply being there for them.  less
Pros
free food, flexible hours, variety of tasks to do.
Cons
location is to far from where I live, they do not pay that much and it makes it difficult to live on.
Challenging work place
Residential Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 22, 2014
Working with the mentally ill chemically addicted population is a challenging job. I really enjoyed working with the residents helping them to understand and work with their diagnosis.
Pros
A lot of overtime available
Cons
Over all agency
Such a Great Learning atmosphere
Medical Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Rochester NYJuly 30, 2014
One of the best attributes of this agency is its attention to the people that we serve AND employ. I have had such a pleasure coming in every day seeing everyone that works for the agency, from the cleaning staff to the Director of Halstead Square. To say there is always something to admire, remember, or learn would be an understatement. This agency and site is truly striving everyday to seek active change and I am so grateful to be a part of this process.
The team work is outstanding job setting for th most part is relaxed.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 13, 2014
Some nights are reserved than others as to other nights are very challenging, it depends on what mood the clients are in determines a good night or a challenging night for me.
What I most learned, you cannot wear your position on your sleeve, a good sense of human will work, be consistent and do not take anything for granted. When you do not know a situation do not second guess- ask your supervisor on site or within calling distance- the best way to handle the situation. If no management available use your better judgment and or your community medical resources PAO, Mobile Crisis or Lifeline.(do not hesitate to ask them for assistant this is your community resources).
The hardest part is when a client feels rejected and unworthy of not being here on this earth and you have got to convince them that they is just as important as anyone here on site and or living on the face of this earth.We must play our position at all cost to ensure some clients are getting what they need to transist back into the community- for the clients that will not transist help them to be as safe, comfortable in their current living environment.
My enjoyable part on the job is seeing the residents smiling, getting along and interacting with each other as a community.
Pros
Every pay period you earn one day of PTO.
Cons
Mental health day needs to implimented @ least 1-2 days every 6 months.