DePaul University Employee Reviews

Great Work/Life Balance, Must re-define identity and message.
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2016
Great 403(b) plans, health and dental insurance, and work culture is inclusive. Diverse student body. Needs revamp on what message/identity is. Comp time to counterbalance any hours worked beyond the expected shift. Flexible hours in case of emergency. Professional development opportunities are in abundance. Weekends are required and if you are looking to work in higher education, specifically admission, be ready to talk a lot to families--both in person and on the phone.
Pros
Work/Life, Vacation & Family Leave, Tuition Waiver for Staff
Cons
Pay could better reflect job responsibility.
Great Environment
Senior Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2016
DePaul provides employees with great learning opportunities and leadership. There are also a multitude of benefits to being a DePaul employee - making an environment of positive thinking and creativity.
Good place to work as Adjunct faculty
Adjunct Faculty Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2016
Good environment with nice colleagues. The work time is very flexible and good there. Although the pay is not that much as you want but it is good for adjunct faculty to start the career in academic field.
Pros
TIme, Nice circustance
Cons
No Health Benefit after certain credit hours.
Impossible to get anything productive done
Web Content Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2016
You get a lot of days off at DePaul, but you will go nuts trying to enact any type of meaningful programs. Every department is full of people who are still trying to do marketing like it's 1995 - focusing on brochures and newsletters instead of SEO, social and analytics.

Not only are the staff behind the times, they are also obstructionist when anyone tries to implement new ideas.

The leadership is totally reactionary. No data-driven decision making, all ego-driven: "I like this, therefore it is good."

Nice days off and free school, otherwise beware!
Pros
Free tuition, lots of days off
Cons
Adverse to any innovation, too much CYA
Fun and Place to work
Media Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2016
Learned management skills, co-workers are enjoyable to work with and make the day seem shorter. Hardest part of the job is having freshmen students meet expectations.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
short break
Great work Environment!
Conference Services Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Very flexible! Bosses were simply inspiring and genuinely care about your career advancement. Co- workers end up becoming very good friends!
teacher assistant help the professors with their daily work including lab supervision
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2016
i was pursuing my masters degree in Microelectronics. in the process i graduated and learned programming languages, and electronic design.
all the professors were very professional and qualified at their jobs
great relations with colleagues
school was very tough
Pros
graduated with Masters degree in Microelectronics
Cons
$20, 000.00 loan payment
Some growing pains
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 1, 2016
DePaul offers great benefits, excellent work/life balance, and is an organization with a solid mission. With an exiting president, and leadership changes in certain divisions, the university is feeling some growing pains.
Great work life balance
Admin (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2016
DePaul can be a great place to work depending on your department. Every place will have its issues and people that may be difficult to deal with. However, there is not much room for advancement and the game of favorites may still be played for those who are promoted.

What I do love about DePaul is the work life balance. I've always had a flexible schedule to take care of my family and sick parents. I absolutely love the paid winter break we get every year and that's definitely something I will miss.

Although these are great perks, they are not worth missed opportunities for career growth and higher salary.
Productive place to be at with amazing networking opportunities
Marketing Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2016
Its a pleasure to be a part of DePaul University. Working and studying in the University gives you many opportunities to network with different groups of people.
Tutoring and patience
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2016
Working as a tutor at DePaul has been a good experience. However, it becomes unfortunate when desk people earn more than people who are doing intellectual work.
A great place to do what you love.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2016
This was like a second home to me. The commute was never a factor. The campus is beautiful and the energy of getting things done abounds!
Pros
Location, Opportunity for advancement, benefits for part time employees
My experience in admissions
Donation Coordinator & Counselor Liaison (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2016
In the past four years of working with DePaul University, my personal growth and skill set has been strengthened exponentially. Serving as administrative assistant, I have had the opportunity to work alongside student assistants, office staff, and various admission directors for the the Office of Undergraduate Admission. My daily task include: preparing office for staff and visitors (this includes perspective students and their families, as well as current students and general visitors of the university), maintain excel documents for mail tracking, donation coordinating, and tracking of visitors, update student profiles to ensure accurate and effective communication throughout the admission process, provide a friendly and helpful atmosphere at the front desk of the Lincoln Park Campus Welcome Center, as well as field important inquiries in regards to university policies and procedures, and student life. The most challenging part of my day is receiving a question I've never been asked before and experiencing difficulty locating the right contact to answer said question; at the same time, it brings me much joy to locate the answer and to be able to provide timely and accurate information to any and all visitors for the university.
Pros
Welcoming and friendly staff, opportunity to share knowledge and experiences as a recent graduate of DePaul University, flexible schedule and hours, wonderful management
Cons
N/A
Dead-end Option for Underemployed PhDs
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2016
DePaul is a great gig for PhD candidates looking to pick up instructional experience. For someone with a PhD in hand, it is a dead-end road to the very bottom of your profession. You won't be given enough classes to qualify for benefits or to make a livable wage without resorting to a second job, nor will you be considered for a full-time position. You'll be given the teaching dregs to support the university's administrative bloat, and you'll suffer endless minor indignities like shared, windowless offices and being constantly solicited to donate from your pitiful wages to support the school's "Vincentian mission." I cannot think of a worse possible career path than academia in general, but working at DePaul assures it will be as bad as possible.
Great experiential learning envionrment
Soil Analyst/Research collaborator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2016
DePaul University gave me the opportunity to learn and implement laboratory procedures that have important real life application value. For example, I concentrate on extracting heavy metals, such as lead, from soils. I followed the example of my research adviser and various literature reviews on how to implement a Physiologically Based Extraction Test (PEBT), an Acid Digestion technique, as well as a variety of other Soil Quality Indicator (SQI) tests in order to measure the quantity or quality of the respective analyte in soil. I published and presented my findings at the annual Science Symposium in June of 2016 - where I was awarded with the Outstanding Environmental Science Award for my thesis work - and now I will continue to run the same tests I did for my undergraduate research on other student's and faculty's soil samples until September. I work independently in the lab, but frequently consult with faculty members about various matters such as brainstorming future research routes, placing orders to restock my supplies, and obtaining access to the cold storage room and the teaching lab, as necessary. The hardest part of my job is sharing laboratory tools with other students and researchers - at times, I have to spend time locating supplies that other people have relocated, but it is not a nuisance to me. I enjoy implementing the procedures, and conducting inferential and statistical analysis on the samples' analytes; I take pride in what I do.
Pros
Learning practical and marketable skills, flexible schedule, wonderful team of faculty and colleagues
Cons
No benefits, minimum wage pay, temporary
Excellent
Online Learning Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2016
I've learned a lot from working at DePaul University. I've improved my computer skills, I've learned how to deal with instructors
Life in the office
Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2016
This job consists of many office duties such as filing, scheduling, data entry. To do well in the office, one must know how to prioritize and have time management skills.
Productive and fun workplace
Information Services Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2016
A great company to work for that is highly professional and respectful. Great staff that are willing to help and work with you and such a comfortable environment.
Excellent
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Very friendly and welcome place, my time at DePaul was a very important part of my personal and professional life and provided me with experiences I will always cherish.
I loved my job at DePaul.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2016
My typical day was faced paced and challenging. I learned many things at DePaul, different software packages, self taught software on a learn as you go basis. My manager was very helpful and hands-on. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was learning that my department was being closed. The most enjoyable part of this job was going to work and seeing what I was going to be challenged with.
Pros
35 hour work week considered full time.
Cons
When my department closed and everybody got laid off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DePaul University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4