DePelchin Children's Center Employee Reviews in United States

Management does not have a clear understanding
Foster care (Current Employee) –  houston, texasMay 24, 2015
Management does not have a clear understanding on what it takes to run a department and listen to its employees. To many people on the team continually make the same mistakes without fixing and correcting them. Benefits are not good and nd the pay is low for all of what you are expected to do.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Poor management and no room for advancement
Loved working for great foster parents!
Staff Accountant Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2015
Every thing and everyone was so great and helpful. Work was so fast paced that time just flew by.I can not think of any negative or bad about this company. It was such a joy working for such great people.
Pros
Working with great people
Children Center with an array of services
Staff Clinician II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2015
Depelchin Children's Center focuses on the needs of the children and has programs that tailor to the needs of the children. Overall it has a goal that is admirable and true to the public. The hardest part of my job is dealing with limited resources for certain populations. Due to its non-profit status work loads are high and pay is low.
Pros
trainings
Cons
benefits are high, and pay is low
practicum
Clinician II (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJanuary 27, 2015
Great practicum site; I learned a lot about school systems, special ed, ARDS, IEPS, and coordinating treatment
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
no pay
Great place to work with good managerial personnel.
Internship/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2014
I was an intern while at DePelchin and I volunteered in the Adoption/Post Adoption department. The fellow co-workers were easy to become friends with.
Absurd Hiring Process
Mental Health (Former Employee) –  HoustonAugust 19, 2014
DePelchin is a reputable organization, which was the reason I sought employment with it. However, the hiring process is absurd, particularly for out-of-state candidates and unfortunately one does not receive much support from HR in the process. I received an offer of employment from my would-be supervisor after completing my interview process, which was in itself a great experience as the DePelchin staff I interviewed with were outstanding. However, I received no written/formal offer after waiting months for one nor did I receive much assistance from HR except in understanding why except for just being an out-of-state candidate. Worse yet, I was denied a refund of the money I spent on fingerprinting because I did not wait for the hiring process to be completed (I reiterate, after waiting for months).

Simply put, if you are an out-of-state candidate (and part of a general rule of thumb), do not at all commit yourself and actions to working with DePelchin (or any other organization) until you have signed the dotted line or even more ideally, seek employment elsewhere.
fast and challenging
Medical Front Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXAugust 10, 2014
a typical day at work is busy and fast paced, management is a little weak and needs improvement in communication. co-workers are great, hardest part of the job is the client's parents attitude.
Pros
hour long lunches, paid time off/holidays, flexible schedule
Cons
not very good communication
Wonderful co-workers and a friendly atmosphere
ACM Secretary / Front Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2014
I spend most of my day answering phones and helping clients and visitors/ I only wish that we had more appointments to meet the needs of our community.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 20, 2014
Stressful and busy work environment
Highly visible customer service position
Interacts daily with clients and staff
Pros
long standing company
Cons
healthcare benefits; no room for advancement
Nice agency, very challenging and stimulating work enviroment
Budget Monitor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 18, 2013
Nice place to work overall. Great programs and personnel to work with and for. Not very much job security due to government funding for programs.
Invaluable experience and continuing education
CLINICAL CASEWORKER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 20, 2013
Depelchin Children's Center was the most rewarding work experience of my life. They have an excellent team of professionals, who have always been happy to answer any questions. They provided excellent benefits and continuing education.
Pros
wonderful, supportive co-workers, excellent learning opportunities, good benefits
Cons
distance to job
Excellent place to practice
Staff Clinician III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 15, 2013
Management is supportive and strives to address the needs of employees. Friendly caring co-workers
Pros
training availiable
Cons
ongoing competing depends
Very productive and extremely rewarding job
Compliance Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 25, 2012
A typical day at work consists of driving to meet foster parents in their home to ensure their compliance. Lots of administrative work before going and after going out to appointments. From this position, I have learned how to better communicate with people from diverse backgrounds, I have become a better problem solver and analyzer and have developed sensitivity towards people that do not think or behave the way I do. Management is wonderful and very supportive. They are very trusting in my ability to make sound judgment and this helps me to do a great job. The hardest part about my job is the constant driving and the fact that the work never stops. I find that there is always something to do and due to the fact that I work remotely, my laptop and cell phone are always with me which makes me feel like I am always on call. Expectations are very high but the pay does not match the level of work that is produced nor the time that is required to exhibit the excellence I feel like I render. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting with the foster parents and knowing that the work I do inherently promotes the overall welfare and safety of children in the foster care system.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, lots of paid time off
Cons
job responsibilities are like that of two or three people
Working here is very rewarding. I love to help out all those children that need a loving home.
ADMINISTATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2012
I talk to people every day. In person, on the phone, through email., etc. I guide them through becoming a licensed home for those children that have been misplaced from their own biological homes. I also help them once they are a licensed home to keep them in compliance year to year. I am also responsible for making sure that all training materials are available to them for their yearly required trainings. I am responsible for Volunteers that come in to help us. I supervise the ones that are assigned to me. I have so many other duties that would probably take me pages to write.

My co-workers are awesome. Each one have specific duties that keep this Agency going. Like probably all companies you have your slackers but most do their jobs to perfection. We are a COA accreditted Agency.

The hardest part of my job is, I would say, nothing. I love what I do, but if I had to say something it is what I like to do the least and that is file. But I usually assign that to my Workstudy student I have assigned to me.

The most enjoyable, and really puts a smile on my face, is when I see those families that we have recruited come in the door with those adorable children we have placed in their homes. I also like it when they send me pictures of them and their Adopted children.
Pros
good benefits, cafeteria in the building, free parking
Cons
long commute in to work