Dept of Education Employee Reviews

Good interaction with people from all walks of life.
School lunch helper (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 13, 2017
Apply at your local district field office. Perfect for families with children that are school age. Benefits are a definite plus along with job security. Long term positions available.
Pros
Paid summers off
Cons
Probation period doesnt cover you for sick time until
A caring, productive place
Elementary school director (Former Employee) –  Yauco Zona Urbana, PRMay 16, 2017
A caring, productive place, where I could share with my colleagues. I learned to make a good plan, to work with different internet and Oracle programs. I also learned how to cope with different situation, which allow me to be a good and ceritified mediator. The most difficult part was learning to make a huge budget, but received an excellent help from the supervisor a that time. The most enjoyable part of the job were the special meetings that were arranged for Christmas time, where we share with families, friends and the most important part, our students. We invited part of the community to be with us at schools.
Pros
Community involvement
Cons
Healthcare, and a lot more activities
all in a days work
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2017
I make sure the students get their breakfast, after they eat, clean up and, stay with the group, practice safety rules. I have learned how to be patient and work with people with special needs. Make sure the students are doing their academic assignments with or without my guidance. All celebrate and teach about all cultures.The hardest part of the job is trying to teach or get a learning disable person to do a new task assignment. The most enjoyable part of the job is when a student remembers what they were taught days later.
Pros
get more vacation days than most people
Cons
the salaries are lower and dont go by years of experience
It was a very challenging job, which I enjoyed very much.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cabo Rojo, PRMarch 8, 2017
I loved my job but it was time to retire. Definitely I learned a lot with my students, it was the greatest experience in my life. The interaction with young people is really something that gives your life meaning.
I had really great coworkers that had great meaning in my life.
The most that I had enjoyed in my job was helping young people and to really identify myself with them.
Pros
Good working benefits.
Cons
Healthcare, Bonus etc.
Great experience meaningful
Teacher (art) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2017
A lively environment that endeavors to support
Students and teachers including support staff
To contribute to a new generation of learners
And achievers.
Pros
Literature conversation new ways to think.
Cons
None that cannot be surmounted and learned from.
no weekends
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 25, 2016
Everyday was a different day never knew what was going to happen and that was one of the things I liked the most. Working with special needs children I learned that miracles can happen. Working with my coworkers they always had my back if a student was acting out that coworker would be there and help me out and vise/versa. I loved taking the children in the community and letting them feel like they belong
Pros
trips no weekends
Cons
having a different opinon from a different coworker
Love working with children
Para professional (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 11, 2016
Assisting students with there academic, emotional and social growth towards independence. Supporting the classroom teacher with daily lessons by working with small groups of students, supervising activities.
love working with kids
Subsitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 10, 2016
I really like working at the schools i worked at. The school staff was good to work with. Working with students and parents helps you manage your own life and look at things different. Many different life styles and back grounds. Also sometime you just need to be a shoulder to lean on for both the child and parent.
Pros
enjoy working people
Cons
not regular work always on call
Productive, Careing, Happy, Grateful.
Assistant Cook (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 30, 2015
I work in a kitchen, I serve kids in mid- day/ afternoon, during the slow part of the day is when different grades come to eat in the cafeteria. Everything can be normal on a daily basics as well as hectic. When that happen, I have to keep a close eye on everything that goes on in the kitchen and the kids and staffs needs, like refill stream tables with food, bring the water jet right out into the cafeteria, complete the cook book, and the requisition sheet, etc. I have to make sure the staff and I straightening up the area where we prep sandwiches, salad, vegetable, fruits, and produces. This is right in the middle of the pass-through to the kitchen. So I am basically in sight the whole time. I have asked my team a couple of times if everything is all right, which I have been assured that it was because we are a great team.
The hardest part of the job is when things get broken "equipment", and repeatedly workers are being absent" it make a problem for other co-workers. But overall, we get the job done and celebrate on our lunch break by treating each other lunch.
Pros
Feeding 1.1 million kids healthy and nutritional food.throughout 1, 700 school in New York City along.
Cons
Seeing the kids throw away their vegetable, milk, fruit in the garbage.
Productive Place to work at
Computer Technician |American Samoa (Current Employee) –  Pago Pago,AS UtuleiMay 27, 2015
Past 10 years i have learned Computer Hardware Troubleshoot and services and also software programs included also smartboard installation and services,

the management in the American Samoa Government (DOE)
is good.
Cons
Salary minimum wage bad
I had great work hours in the day
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2014
A very stressful environment but the children are fun to be with daily. I like how the children made new discoveries in learning a new math skill and they learned to work in groups. I learned that time management was essential for the schedule to flow properly and to be consistent. My co-workers were fabulous we held each other up and if needed lent a shoulder to cry on because the administration in the school was vicious and demanding to say the least. The hardest part of my job was to tell parents that their little angels were not angels and to give them structure at home if they want them to be successful in school. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the children become alert and eager to learn.
Pros
summer and holidays off
Cons
Need smaller class size
Good Job
Ponce High School & José Emilio Lugo Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ponce, P.RJuly 8, 2014
A typical day working at the Department of Education is to teach chemistry to young juniors. I have learned through this to cultivate a love for education and continuing to work with different youth and their needs. I belonged to a dynamic team both administrative and labor courts. The limitations are the lack of resources. The most important of this work is to see how my students develop academically, socially well.
Pros
Growth opportunity
Benefits
Enjoyable.challenging, learned a lot of new things
Elementary Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesMay 30, 2014
It's a good place for me to work, walking distance and able to see my kids while i'm school. Learned to be strict in implementing rules in order the pupils to follow and behave at school. W/ a good relationship w/ co- teachers, we shared different ideas when it comes to teaching and new things that we need to learn, and sometimes family matters.
N/a
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washoe County, NV & St Lucie County, FLDecember 11, 2013
N/A. This is no further review necessary at this time.

Typical day at work
What I learned
Co-Workers
Hardest part of job
Most Enjoyable part of job
productive exciting ,fun
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2013
The board of Education is a wonderful place to work the teachers are wonderful and being around educators makes you always want to learn and better yourself and be an example for others.
Pros
learn new skills
Cons
the pay
great place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 19, 2012
Work with students
How to manage my time,
I managed y day
Not have the answers to some problems
Going home without incident
Pros
love working with children
Cons
none that i found
Fun,
Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Abuanan Elem. School, Bago CityJune 8, 2012
A smile everyday, every hour and every minute.Learned to be patient, fair, firm and open minded. There are schoolheads that are easy to get along with. Just be submissive and optimistic. My co-teachers are all unique. They're my critics. The hardest part in teaching is on how to discipline children from all walks of life. What i like most of being a science teacher is going to trainings with my pupils, we're able to explore new places, the environment, enjoy while learning.
Pros
field trips
Cons
no financial assistance given to pupils who go with the teacher on trainings