dept of social services

dept of social services Employee Reviews

They do an important job
Office support/clerical (Current Employee), Sedalia, MOMay 6, 2015
Pros: good atmosphere
Cons: none
Productive and informative place to work, very friendly staff. Was able to learn a lot from this job.
The hardest part of the job is seeing all the people that need help and wanting to help them
The most enjoyable part is that most times we can.
Working with the Welfare Dept in Yonkers NY
Case Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 6, 2015
A typical day at work is very exhausting. The volume of people on assistance is overwhelming. Never a dull day. Many people are truly in need and there are some who are just trying the system. I learned from working all these years that I am grateful for the things I have and not to be critical of people. So many people need help and don't know how to get it. Sometimes after working so many years you tend to know a little more than management, especially from being hands on. The management I have worked for did not come up through the ranks so it made it a tiny bit difficult but I adjust and I get along with all my co-workers (they love me). The hardest part of the job was seeing the heartbreaking tragedies of a lot of the families especially involving the children. The gratification of seeing many families become self sufficient and happy in their new lives was rewarding.
A day at York County Dept of Social Services
Clerical II (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: job relocated out of area
I enjoyed working for the DSS department, the people were wonderful and I was able to make last friends, I was responsible for the child care program, and that was a very demanding position, when you have to account for all of the receipents of york county SC. I was responsible for the mail, ordering supplies, and answering the phones. I was the fill in person for the front desk. I would great clients, make appointments and enter new applications.
N/A
Eligibility Worker I (Temporary position) (Former Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 4, 2014
Was too long a commute for me. Wished I had been in the department I was interviewed for..but oh well.
It was a job that could have been enjoyable
ELIGIBILITY SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Cape Girardeau, MOJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: the holidays off and other benefits
Cons: the healthcare went downhill and that is why many take this job
I enjoyed the majority of my coworkers, they pulled together on the
hard days. I learned a lot about how state government works and the Medicaid system that I feel was life-changing. I enjoy helping people especially if they are hurting, unemployed, or just need a listening ear. The hardest part of the job became the amount of workload an individual was required to carry, because you became so stressed you couldn't enjoy the job. I had some really great managers and some less than great but I did my best for both. The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends in my coworkers and helping people that were at a very low place in their lives.
helping people and meeting people in healthcare profession.
Health Caregiver (Former Employee), El Monte, CAJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: meeting and seeing people and taking with them.
Cons: physical job.
Assisted patients into and out of bed, automobile and wheelchair, lavatory and up and down stairs, administered prescribed oral medications underwritten direction of physician and as directed by home care nurse, maintained records of services performed and of apparent condition of patient, applied preparations and treatments, liniment, alcohol rubs and heat-lamp stimulation.
I enjoyed everthing about it
Examiner Assistant (Former Employee), Binghamton, N.Y.April 23, 2012
Pros: the work, co-worker, the boss, ect.
Cons: none for me
I wished I was back there. I was transferred to a new work site