dept of social services Employee Reviews

Good part time work
In-Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 27, 2017
Good place to work, very rewarding and sometimes challenging.
Great job if you enjoy helping people. Sometimes tedious,
but never mundane, always a new challenge and very
rewarding to see consumers get well.
Pros
Work is always available
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
Human Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  AlexandriaJune 13, 2017
Excellent benefits. Was able to help clients who were having hard times. My staff were dedicated to help serve and assist their clients. They enjoyed their job,
Self Employed
Informal Provider (Former Employee) –  60 North StreetJune 12, 2017
I was self employed by the dept of Social Services to take care of 3 children inside my home . I provided meals, lessons to be implemented and taught to the children. Outside activities, trips to the local library , and inside activities were provided for children
Pros
Excellent company and very organized
Cons
Professional workplace with great collegues
Community Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  DSSMarch 16, 2017
I'm currently assigned to Thurgood Marshall Middle School. A typical workday is multi-tasking with multiple projects and paperwork required to capture the success of the day. My management staff is open to collaboration and new recommendations. The work culture is very warm and accepting because I would have it no other way. The most challenging part of my job is talking to parents who have a specific need and not being able to assist with the requested need. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a student portrays a more positive behavior once their family has been assisted by me or my agency.
assisting the public
Unit Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 30, 2016
assisted customers over the phone and over the counter,active listening skills,formed a great relationship with management,hardest part of job was not being there long enough
Pros
the clients
Cons
short lunches
Helping others and meeting their needs on a timely manner.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Marion, NCMarch 28, 2016
Was a great place to work as I was always helping others in their time of need. Was a very fast pace, stay busy environment. Always something to do to keep busy and was something different everyday...
Pros
Was getting to meet new people everyday and always helping others.
Cons
Low pay and the benefits were poor.
They do an important job
Office support/clerical (Current Employee) –  Sedalia, MOMay 6, 2015
Productive and informative place to work, very friendly staff. Was able to learn a lot from this job.
The hardest part of the job is seeing all the people that need help and wanting to help them
The most enjoyable part is that most times we can.
Pros
good atmosphere
Working with the Welfare Dept in Yonkers NY
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2015
A typical day at work is very exhausting. The volume of people on assistance is overwhelming. Never a dull day. Many people are truly in need and there are some who are just trying the system. I learned from working all these years that I am grateful for the things I have and not to be critical of people. So many people need help and don't know how to get it. Sometimes after working so many years you tend to know a little more than management, especially from being hands on. The management I have worked for did not come up through the ranks so it made it a tiny bit difficult but I adjust and I get along with all my co-workers (they love me). The hardest part of the job was seeing the heartbreaking tragedies of a lot of the families especially involving the children. The gratification of seeing many families become self sufficient and happy in their new lives was rewarding.
A day at York County Dept of Social Services
Clerical II (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCSeptember 4, 2014
I enjoyed working for the DSS department, the people were wonderful and I was able to make last friends, I was responsible for the child care program, and that was a very demanding position, when you have to account for all of the receipents of york county SC. I was responsible for the mail, ordering supplies, and answering the phones. I was the fill in person for the front desk. I would great clients, make appointments and enter new applications.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
job relocated out of area
N/a
Eligibility Worker I (Temporary position) (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 4, 2014
Was too long a commute for me. Wished I had been in the department I was interviewed for..but oh well.
My feel like my skills were not properly utilized as much as they could have been
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP/OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDFebruary 12, 2013
I absolutely loved working with my co-workers and helping the customers.
Pros
great internship opportunity
Cons
no opportunity for employment, was unable to move around to dept sectors of the dss to learn as much as i possibly could
helping people and meeting people in healthcare profession.
Health Caregiver (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJanuary 8, 2013
Assisted patients into and out of bed, automobile and wheelchair, lavatory and up and down stairs, administered prescribed oral medications underwritten direction of physician and as directed by home care nurse, maintained records of services performed and of apparent condition of patient, applied preparations and treatments, liniment, alcohol rubs and heat-lamp stimulation.
Pros
meeting and seeing people and taking with them.
Cons
physical job.
I enjoyed everthing about it
Examiner Assistant (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, N.Y.April 23, 2012
I wished I was back there. I was transferred to a new work site
Pros
the work, co-worker, the boss, ect.
Cons
none for me