Dept. of State Employee Reviews

Role as Tester at DOS
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAApril 9, 2016
Great experience overall. Scope of work is always very clear, which translates into a flexible work schedule. There was plenty of opportunity for me to grow here as I have enhanced my testing skills in many different areas of technology.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No Remote Access
Great colleagues with vast experience
Political-Military Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 2, 2015
I worked in a 24/7 watch or crisis action team (the Political Military Action Team or PMAT). We issued a twice-daily (M-F) situation report (SitRep) on world events (from classified sources), cleared diplomatic flights into the U.S, or through U.S. airspace, and answered requests for information from within Department of State.

The persons who I worked alongside were retired DoS foreign service officers and former senior military. They had unique experiences and great insight into historical events, many of which they had witnessed first hand. I learned a higher-level perspective from them.

The greatest difficulty on a daily basis was the many and varied problems with the IT infrastructure.

The most enjoyable part was interacting with my colleagues.
Pros
dynamic working environment
Cons
poor senior management
As long as you resourceful, teacheable and willing to apply yourself to new task, the sky is your limit.
Senior Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  US Embassy, Abuja NigeriaMarch 31, 2015
I worked for the Dept of State for 19 years and I enjoyed it. As long as you resourceful, teacheable and willing to apply yourself to new tasks, the sky is your limit. A typical day is very busy and you have to work with your colleagues so good interpersonal skill is essential. The most difficult is having to adapt to a new supervisor every 2-3 years and learn their preferred leadership style.
Pros
flexible work hours, early in - early out etc
Cons
30 mins luch break
Make sure to show up for work, and be on time.
Classified mail handler/material handler (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2015
I have no problem with Holden Temporaries, I wish that they had an assignment for me at this time. The staff there are very helpful.
Pros
Good Assingments
Cons
No healthcare.
Excellent and fulfilling program
Special Skills Tactics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Summit Point, WVJune 4, 2014
Was an enjoyable time working at the DS Training Center. The other instructors in my program were top grade instructors.
Positive workplace
Passport Support Associate I (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2014
A typical day at work is filled with many challenges and a very friendly workplace.
Investigative Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 3, 2013
1. A typical day at work: 9-5
2. What you learned: Federal ropes
3. Management: Great
4.Your co-workers: Great
Rewarding working with veterans
Food Service Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milford, DEMarch 7, 2012
A good organization to work for. Offers a good quality of life, lacks competitive salaries but offers good benefits.
Pros
good quality of life, working with veterans
Cons
financial compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dept. of State. Our community is ready to answer.