DERBY CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Interesting and fast paced.
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Derby, DerbyshireMay 4, 2017
Relaxing environment to work in although the IT can be challenging and always crashing. Working with the public so I can get stressful however the colleagues are lovely and make your day so much easier.
mkn
Civil Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  DerbyApril 18, 2017
i dont feel that this is going to help mew get a job, my current job is enjoyable and has a good core team. i would recommend this if you are fit and enjoy the outdoors
fun
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, DerbyshireJanuary 22, 2017
Quite pleased how easy it was to upload my cv. Been in my current job for fifteen years so I am out of practice with all of this. Happy to recommend this service to my friends .
rewarding
Passenger Assistant (Current Employee) –  DerbyJanuary 18, 2017
start at 8am to 9 20 each day monday to friday.
My job consists of picking the children up from home and taking them to school then returning them back in the afternoons.
I transport 6 children on a bus some walk and others are in wheelchairs in which we have to clamp in so they have a safe journey to school the others I make sure them are in there harnessess and seatbelts.
I talk with the children so we have a pleasant journey to and from school.
Pros
in both my jobs I work for tdifferent companies but at the same place
Cons
none at the moment
Not great
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, DerbyshireJanuary 13, 2017
Poor management with no duty of care, good at not listening to you and believe its their way or the high way.

Procedure does not seem to be followed and when it does it is manipulated to suit them.

The people I work with are great and very friendly.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management
Interesting
HLTA (Former Employee) –  Normanton, DerbyshireJanuary 2, 2017
Good job prospects lovely people and nice families. Good salary and reasonable holidays, buildings comfortable and easily accessible.
Pros
Prospects
Cons
Hours
Rewarding
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  DerbyOctober 24, 2016
i have worked for this company for 29 years on the whole it has been very enjoyable and rewarding career.if you love children as much as i do,then this is a great career path.
Good Work life balance
Project Worker (Current Employee) –  DerbySeptember 29, 2016
A great place to work for flexibility, but little chance to progress and exceed in a career. Local Government organisation with very challenging operating environment, senior managers also lack good training and experience.
a lovely place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Derby Road WestSeptember 17, 2016
enjoy my work immensely and work with wonderful people. its hard work, my coworkers are great, I have learned that I need to save for my retirement really quickly
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
not enough holidays
Informative, fun place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  MickleoverSeptember 2, 2016
My typical day at work was preparing and cooking meals for the children and other staff members at the home. I learned lots about the autistic children whom resided here which added to the knowledge I previously had on the spectrum. The management were encouraging and supportive as were all my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was witnessing my co-workers handle the meltdowns experienced by the children and not being able to assist. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the children.
Cook Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DerbyAugust 17, 2016
Very strict, rules to be kept. Good place to work , lots of paper work involved.
You are listened to if you have a problem, try and gets sorted most the time.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Enjoyable work but very insecure environment due to ongoing cuts.
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  ChaddesdenJuly 24, 2016
I have enjoyed working in a Derby city council library very much. However, I do not have faith in management and the job insecurity that I have endured for the last five years had proved extremely stressful.
Pros
Lovely team.
Cons
job insecurity.
productive
Midday Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Georges school derbyJuly 6, 2016
worked at a school for derby city council.the job at the school was ok i was there for 8yrs but had northing much to do with the council.
Pros
worked near home
Cons
hours to short
Leisure
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  DerbyJuly 6, 2016
Very poor all round to be honest, poor communication, poor support. Higher Management don't care about staff and don't support the lower management.

Policy's change to suite them regardless of if they are safe practise of not.

No job security, little job progression, little training basically it's there is the job get on with it.

No equality, one rule for one worker another for someone else.

Would not recommend
Cons
Long Hours, no respect, bad communication, short notice
Busy and enjoyable apprenticeship.
Customer Service Asvisor and Payment's Officer (Current Employee) –  DerbyJune 21, 2016
I have worked in Derby Direct in Customer Service but I have also worked in an administrative role around cash handling. I would input data to spread sheet, word documents and constantly check my emails.
Nice work environment
Grounds Maintenance Operative (Current Employee) –  DerbyMay 29, 2016
Good work and agreeable colleagues.
Driving and gardening. Multi-site work; schools, homes, public buildings.
Some early starts (03.00) which are never a problem, but usually 06.00.
Busy and enjoyable
Admin Apprentice (Current Employee) –  DerbyMay 3, 2016
I am currently an apprentice but due to the money cut backs my department can not keep me even though I have been told they would love to. I have found out that nearly all the apprentices who were in my college group have no jobs at the end of their apprenticeships and are struggling to find internal jobs. If you are looking at an apprenticeship at Derby City Council ask about job opportunities at the end of the apprenticeship. Other than that it is a nice place to work for and it is very friendly giving you the opportunity to meet a variety of people and has some nice pros such as the flexi-time.
Pros
Flexi- time
Cons
Not many jobs going due to cut backs
Working in a environment providing support to vunerable adults
Team Manager Adult Services (Former Employee) –  DerbyMarch 15, 2016
typical day working within this organization

Each morning I would attend a team brief - from which I would then:

Prioritize both mine and our teams workloads
Ensure admin cover was provided around the service where there was a short fall
Update statistical reports for managers
petty cash records updated regularly - banking/reconciliation as required
ordering office stationary/equipment both for employees and service users
raising and paying invoices keeping accurate records
supervising and supporting our team (including regular supervision meeting with them, sickness monitoring or grievance issues)
our team provided support within adult services, providing assistance keeping venerable adults at home - a high proportion of our job was on the phone to both service users and other agencies ensuring there queries were responded to as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
checking our electronic database was updated by the team accurately and efficiently
all general office duties including: taking minutes, typing, computer input, keeping diaries, fax, distributing post, email & photocopying

The nature of this environment was to ensure that a service was provided to venerable adults and to provide it not only with efficiency but provide a duty of care with empathy and understanding without being patronizing. Working well within a teams organization is paramount to providing a good service.

To describe the hardest part of my job it would have to be the management part of the role. I never felt I managed our team but worked alongside them, this at times
  more... can have both a positive and negative effect. I am by nature a very hands on, hard working, organized individual who tends to thrive on a challenge, routine and most importantly providing a helpful service to vunerable people, being a manager tends to be more of a stop/start sort of role. Although I always felt I supported our team in anyway I could I genuinely knew being part of the team was probably more suited to my personality and hands on nature this leading to the most enjoyable part of my job working alongside a busy team helping and being part of a service that helped vunerable clients get the help and service they required.  less
Derby city council
Approved Shared Lives Carer (Former Employee) –  DerbyMarch 3, 2016
This work is self-employed only that is why the rate of pay is under the minimum wage.

The job does give a really good practical hands on experience of working with a range of clients in age and mental and physical issues.

Shared Lives is a national programme there is a long procedure to become an "approved shared lives carer" culminating in going before a panel to be assessed.

I would have loved to do more of this work but the wages are so poor you can't afford to do it not if you need to earn a living.

I think people must be on benefits or something to be able to do this work if it is your sole income it's not an option in my opinion.
Pros
Training Available
productive team
Planning Officer (Former Employee) –  Derby City CentreJanuary 14, 2016
great dc team, and communication within the wider council.

offices are lovely within the centre of derby

city planning applications were a great way to widen my planning experience.

co workers were very knowledgeable.

I enjoyed all parts of this role and the hardest and sadest part was the temporary element of the role.
Pros
team
Cons
temporary role

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DERBY CITY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.