DERBY CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Nice work environment
Grounds Maintenance Operative (Current Employee) –  DerbyMay 29, 2016
Good work and agreeable colleagues.
Driving and gardening. Multi-site work; schools, homes, public buildings.
Some early starts (03.00) which are never a problem, but usually 06.00.
Busy and enjoyable
Admin Apprentice (Current Employee) –  DerbyMay 3, 2016
I am currently an apprentice but due to the money cut backs my department can not keep me even though I have been told they would love to. I have found out that nearly all the apprentices who were in my college group have no jobs at the end of their apprenticeships and are struggling to find internal jobs. If you are looking at an apprenticeship at Derby City Council ask about job opportunities at the end of the apprenticeship. Other than that it is a nice place to work for and it is very friendly giving you the opportunity to meet a variety of people and has some nice pros such as the flexi-time.
Pros
Flexi- time
Cons
Not many jobs going due to cut backs
Working in a environment providing support to vunerable adults
Team Manager Adult Services (Former Employee) –  DerbyMarch 15, 2016
typical day working within this organization

Each morning I would attend a team brief - from which I would then:

Prioritize both mine and our teams workloads
Ensure admin cover was provided around the service where there was a short fall
Update statistical reports for managers
petty cash records updated regularly - banking/reconciliation as required
ordering office stationary/equipment both for employees and service users
raising and paying invoices keeping accurate records
supervising and supporting our team (including regular supervision meeting with them, sickness monitoring or grievance issues)
our team provided support within adult services, providing assistance keeping venerable adults at home - a high proportion of our job was on the phone to both service users and other agencies ensuring there queries were responded to as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
checking our electronic database was updated by the team accurately and efficiently
all general office duties including: taking minutes, typing, computer input, keeping diaries, fax, distributing post, email & photocopying

The nature of this environment was to ensure that a service was provided to venerable adults and to provide it not only with efficiency but provide a duty of care with empathy and understanding without being patronizing. Working well within a teams organization is paramount to providing a good service.

To describe the hardest part of my job it would have to be the management part of the role. I never felt I managed our team but worked alongside them, this at times
  more... can have both a positive and negative effect. I am by nature a very hands on, hard working, organized individual who tends to thrive on a challenge, routine and most importantly providing a helpful service to vunerable people, being a manager tends to be more of a stop/start sort of role. Although I always felt I supported our team in anyway I could I genuinely knew being part of the team was probably more suited to my personality and hands on nature this leading to the most enjoyable part of my job working alongside a busy team helping and being part of a service that helped vunerable clients get the help and service they required.  less
Derby city council
Approved Shared Lives Carer (Former Employee) –  DerbyMarch 3, 2016
This work is self-employed only that is why the rate of pay is under the minimum wage.

The job does give a really good practical hands on experience of working with a range of clients in age and mental and physical issues.

Shared Lives is a national programme there is a long procedure to become an "approved shared lives carer" culminating in going before a panel to be assessed.

I would have loved to do more of this work but the wages are so poor you can't afford to do it not if you need to earn a living.

I think people must be on benefits or something to be able to do this work if it is your sole income it's not an option in my opinion.
Pros
Training Available
productive team
Planning Officer (Former Employee) –  Derby City CentreJanuary 14, 2016
great dc team, and communication within the wider council.

offices are lovely within the centre of derby

city planning applications were a great way to widen my planning experience.

co workers were very knowledgeable.

I enjoyed all parts of this role and the hardest and sadest part was the temporary element of the role.
Pros
team
Cons
temporary role
day at work
Activity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DerbyDecember 8, 2015
assist residents with breakfast and help clear away, then organised morning acivties with I do daily, then clear away before dinner, then assisnt cookerly away then set up activities forafternoon
Pros
meeting people
Cons
small contract
Overall excellent
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Derby, ENGSeptember 10, 2015
I found that Derby City Council is a very productive environment and the company strives to reach their goals and they do not let any hurdles get in their way. People who working there friendly and polite.
Pros
Friendly place to work in
Cons
Less salary
A safe / fun environment
Midday Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Derby, ENGAugust 17, 2015
Ensuring children are happy and safe in their environment at lunchtimes.
Supervising playground duties and smooth running into the dinner hall in a short time but enough time to eat satisfactory. Making sure the children are disciplined regarding bad behaviour and that they are attended to well if there are accidents requiring first aid.
Promoting good eating habits, and well mannered behaviour throughout the midday break.
Encouraging a fun loving attitude and respect for others.
I have enjoyed working with the children building relationships for a healthy happy break time.
The hardest part of the job for me is meeting disadvantaged children and trying to build their self esteem up along with confidence in relationships in school.
Pros
Good child friendly hours
Cons
Sometimes frustrating as want to do more but have so little time.
Lively and interesting workplace
Apprentice Tracking Officer (Current Employee) –  DerbyAugust 4, 2015
My typical day at work includes arriving early, so that I can prepare myself for the day ahead, as well as making sure my workload is organised. I then begin making my tracking calls to young people off the weekly list that I receive from my Line Manager. When all calls have been made, I will input the activities or interventions of the telephone calls onto our in-house database. When tracking young people, I use different methods so that we can ensure we are working towards getting the best outcome that we can. This includes, telephone calls, group text messages, emails, letters and using social media. I also do other general administrative tasks, such as client detail checks, inputting information onto the database, sending out letters and occasionally supporting a visually impaired employee in my team.
Since I started my apprenticeship with Derby City Council, I have developed new skills, knowledge and experience. For the past year, I have been working towards a Level 2 qualification in Business Administration. This will show the knowledge that I have gained throughout my apprenticeship aswell as the huge range of experience in the workplace, especially with working in a busy office with numerous services from Derby City Council and the NHS.
Derby City Council has a huge number of departments, which are lead by Head of Services, Team Managers and Line Managers. The team that I work in includes 11 employees, as well as the Team Manager and also my Line Manager who only manages me. With being an apprentice, I have a great relationship with my Line Manager, which I feel
  more... reflects on the work that we produce, as we work very closely together. Our team has a close bond, having to liase and working closely with each other in the similar work that we do to support our clients.
I feel that the hardest part of my job is trying to contact clients that are hard to reach. Using my initiative is a big part of the role, knowing when is the best time in the day to contact clients. This is something I find not so difficult to do as they are a similar age range to me, so I am able to put myself in there position. However, some clients do not answer the phone to phone numbers they don't recognise, respond to letters as they are no longer at the forwarding address, or they do not use social media. Never the less, I am still able to persue this task as I am open to a challenge and comfortable using different strategies.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work with clients, doing my best to help them with what they are querying. If they are struggling to engage in employment, training or education, I am then able refer them on to the relevant team member for careers advice and guidance. I also enjoy that I can work independently within my job role as I am able to alternate between different working patterns - on the telephone and the computer. This splits my job role up, working with clients over the phone and doing my own admin on the computer to support this.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
No further job opporunities
temp 6 month contract (Current Employee) –  DERBYJuly 23, 2015
good, enjoyable nice enviorment good team well managed, nice people flexiable nice building supportive mangement helps you develop and grow
Alright
Site man on tanker (Former Employee) –  Derby, ENGJuly 20, 2015
Working at the city counsel has given me a wide range of experience doing a verity of jobs. Litter picking was my main focus over the 10 years and required me working both day's and nights with a lot of hands on work. I also got experience doing drain, dust carts and house clearance work over the years when people are ill or they are a priority matter which over the years has become second nature work for me as I can pick up work and learn it fast.
Pros
Get paid
Cons
Night shifts
Productive and good experience
Roofers Labourer (Former Employee) –  derbyJuly 15, 2015
A typical day at work was setting up first thing in the morning and doing general labour work throughout the day.
I learned a lot about team work , how important it is as we all had to be in teams of at least 3 on a daily basis to work to a quick time scale.
Productive and fun loving workplace.
Help Desk Assistant, Sinfin Library (Former Employee) –  Derby, ENGMay 9, 2015
Helping the local community in Sinfin, Derby. Dealing with the improvements in Local Studies, Library. This company was not only helping the sinfin library, but helping the local sinfin community to improve the neighbourhood and its job security.
Pros
Research with good working hours.
Cons
Environment and Security.
An excellent place to learn from
Apprentice - Debtor's assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, ENGFebruary 20, 2015
I learnt a lot whilst I was working for Derby City Council. All of my co-workers were a delight to work with and they never made me feel like an outsider. The workplace is a 5 start rating.
Productive and friendly
Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  DerbyJanuary 15, 2015
- Dealing with queries both over the phone and face-to-face
- Making good work relationships with both internal and external colleagues/providers
- Processing orders onto the system
- Checking that all data is accurate and correct before inputting onto computer systems
- Provider support to my team and others
- Support the apprentice in the team
- Inputting data onto DCC systems
- Prioritising workloads to ensure targets are met
- Answering the team phone on a daily basis
- Booking meetings, taking minutes at meetings
Pros
flexi working
A good Place to work
School Crossing Patrol & CCTV Manager (Current Employee) –  DerbyJanuary 3, 2015
My colleagues are good to work with and the management structure is supportive
enjoyable
Midday Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Derby, ENGOctober 23, 2014
I enjoyed working for the council in the school environment. No day was ever the same and every year having new children coming into the school was a new challenge to help them get settled into a busy time of the school day.
Awful salary and no training
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  derbyOctober 13, 2014
Avoid at all costs, even if your not an apprentice the pay is horrendus. There is literally no training and you are managing over 60-70 calls per day, and alot of times customers are irrate and no training given on how to deal and managers dont care. The staff are too busy with own work to help, No job security. Avoid this aweful place.
Pros
in city centre
Cons
more or less everything
Fun
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Derby, ENGSeptember 1, 2014
Solid working environment with dependable members of staff and good opportunities for progression if you want.
Pros
good hours
Cons
not really any cons
Excellent structured system
Bereavement Services Manager (Former Employee) –  DerbyJune 19, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable working environment serving the bereavement service throughout Derbyshire

4.2