Des Moines Area Community College Employee Reviews

Disability Services Office-Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IANovember 13, 2017
Loved working with college students on a daily basis. Great work culture. Very supportive atmosphere. Would recommend to anyone looking for a part-time or full-time career.
Evening GED Instructor (Former Employee) –  campusNovember 10, 2017
Working at DMACC was very rewarding but the evening hours were stressful. Working with adults in a learning situation also takes a little getting used to.
Great rewarding work
Department Head Professor (Former Employee) –  Boone, IANovember 5, 2017
I was a Professor and taught 3 classes a day.

Enjoyed working with students and their personal goals

Term and Mid-term breaks are much needed time-off to regenerate.
Pros
Rewarding work
Adjunct English Instructor
Adjunct English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAOctober 9, 2017
My job was to teach stand alone sections of composition and literature courses. Every semester, I would get a list of courses I was to teach that semester and I would create my own syllabus and choose my own text books.
A Good Place to get a Good Start
Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IASeptember 27, 2017
DMACC gives those who are new to their fields an opportunity to build their experience. Some stay, others leave for different opportunities. Overall, they tend to treat their employees well.
Good
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  onlineAugust 30, 2017
This is a contractual position. Each course is a single contract. Each course I have done, has been a good experience. This is a good company to work for. Very few full-time positions ever open up.
Good salary and benefits--great support from supervisor and staff.
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAAugust 4, 2017
My work for DMACC was to teach a 12 week Life Skills class to men in prison who were nearing their parole as returning citizens.

The job could be challenging at times as the men did not have access to technology connected to the internet. I did not have classroom internet connection in one of my classrooms.

The position was rewarding, in that there were men who transformed during the twelve week course! Most of the men were appreciative of the educational opportunities offered them through DMACC in the prison.
Great opportunity
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 28, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with DMACC and it was due to the people I worked and interacted with. The faculty at the Urban campus made me feel like a part of a team and were great to work with.
I like this game
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 24, 2017
I enjoyed working in Des Moines Area Community College. I learned a lot during my working there, and I like helping other students when I was tutoring them.
Flat company that allows individual growth and leadership opportunities
Career Coach (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 12, 2017
DMACC Urban Campus has a wonderful culture, vibe, and support for a diverse population of students. The employee benefits are outstanding. It is a seemingly flat-organization that focuses on individual growth (if requested).
Fun place to work at
IT Tech Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 8, 2017
Working at Dmacc help desk gives you the opportunity to learn and face different challenges throughout the day. There is nothing hard about working at such fun place. Most enjoyable part of job would be working with different people every time and that's what makes it fun.
Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAMay 23, 2017
As an adjunct faculty you do not receive benefits and there is little to no pay increases. However, the flexibility to work only nights is a great option.
Pros
hours
Cons
no tenured positions
Good school, good people
Graphic Design Intern (Current Employee) –  Ankeny, IAMay 22, 2017
Marketing department hires current designs students which is a great opportunity for work experience with a flexible schedule. Pace varies throughout the year from many urgent projects to slow days. I was able to work on a variety of projects during my time here, and learned so much from everyone in the department.
Pros
flexible schedule, good people
Student Services
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 10, 2017
Great college to work and be a part of. I worked in the student services department and helped coach volleyball. I would highly suggest anyone to work at DMACC
A good, supportive place to develop teaching abilities.
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 24, 2017
The English department writing coordinator is very supportive. She organized a workshop title "Best Practices" to discuss teaching techniques. The workplace culture is positive as people seemed happy to work there.
Pros
Very supportive environment. Opportunities to grow.
Cons
Low pay, had to share an office with several other adjunct instructors.
Great Place to work, limited advancement options
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Ankeny, IAMarch 19, 2017
Great place to work. Few opportunities for full time employment. Great people. Great mission. As an adjunct professor, you do not know how many classes you will teach semester to semester. You are limited in number of hours so they can avoid paying for healthcare for instructors.
place to work
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAFebruary 11, 2017
love teaching. no future at this establishment. full time positions are few and far between.
No benefits and last minute schedule changes are not a guarantee of job security every semester.
It was a fun and very low stress
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJanuary 25, 2017
Instruct students on how to weld. I met many different types of people and it was fun getting to know new people. Management was great and Mike and I became great friends. I also learned to become a better welder because it allowed me to weld more. The hardest part of the job was to actually get someone to weld a good bead who really had no hand and eye coordination. I loved the teaching aspect of the job.
Pros
Good pay and few hours
Cons
It wasn't a full time job. part time job
Excellent place to work!
Adjunct Instructor, business (Current Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJanuary 9, 2017
Graduated from DMACC, and went on to Upper Iowa University. DMACC provided many hands on learning experiences, and involved students with the community and the business that support the community. What better way to give back, then to teach what is so valuable and critical for students to know when preparing for the workforce.
Pros
The joy of being able to watch our future leaders succeed!
Professor of Political Science and Sociology
Professor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 5, 2016
Many students have limited English skills to it can be a challenge but it's a good environment to teach; to be a part-time professor here requires your spouse to have a quality job and you have to love teaching and learning.
Pros
Quality people to work with and administration is caring
Cons
You have little opportunity to advance