Des Moines Area Community College Employee Reviews

Great Beginner job
Design Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAOctober 7, 2015
I was able to work and study in the same department.
It was great to work with students, helping them out, while learning or to operate printers and challenging my own knowledge every day.
CAD Computer lab
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJuly 30, 2015
I was able to step out of my comfort zone and be able to learn different things not taught in any of my classes.
The hardest part of my position was if we had a rush to have to have multiple computers updated in an extremely short time span.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Did not pay very well
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAApril 21, 2015
Working for a sign language instructor was great due to wanting to go into the interpreting field and was able to get great insight for different ways to sign things uniquely.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Couldnt work too late
Student success, and assistance is the primary focus in this posiiton
Student Support Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 18, 2015
I only work this job as needed and assist with special projects or when they are short staffed. I read my emails to keep as current as possible. I provide customer service to students by assisting them with printing their student schedules, meeting with academic advisors and or counselors.
Pros
Exposure to a very diverse population.
Cons
Due to the limited hours I work, sometimes it is difficult to be aware of changes.
Supportive environment
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAFebruary 28, 2015
DMACC offers a friendly and supportive environment for its staff and faculty. As a nursing professor however, the multi-campus environment sometimes makes decision making difficult because there are too many "voices".
adorable job
TRiO/Student Support Services Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 6, 2014
This job was the best i ever had because we all were like a family and until today, even if we are in different towns, we meet at least once a month for some fun. this job taught me how to work with diverse people, improved my leadership and social skills, and co-workers were just like a family. The hardest part of this job was to leave because i really enjoy he company of my co-workers and managers. the most enjoyable part was just going to work everyday
Pros
community life
Cons
few hours
good enviroment
student (Former Employee) –  Carroll, IANovember 12, 2014
great work enviroment. very easy to schedule classes. learned a lot.
Pros
enviroment
Learned a lot from this experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAOctober 12, 2014
Set up classes
Type, Answer phones, sort mail, invoice clients
Schedule kit use, meetings, and rooms
Order supplies for kits and the office
Worked closely with the manager
Pros
variety of work
Cons
not close to places
As a DMACC Student Ambassador, my responsibilities include but are not limited to: act as an official DMACC tour guide, assist with Urban campus orien
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 4, 2014
In this position, I am gaining experience working with a diverse student population. I am able to apply interpersonal and intrapersonal communication skills in helping satisfy other student's need, and am able to serve my college in a leadership and mentor role.
Fast paced self rewarding environment.
Communication Operator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaMay 27, 2014
I answer a high volume of phone calls while sometimes calling and working with 911 operators. I also dispatch Security and Facilities employees while creating a daily, accurate log of phone calls and radio traffic. Management is very easy to work with. Co-workers have very good communication skills and are always ready to take on tasks. The hardest part of the job is not being able to physically assist in Security or Medical situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist behind closed doors and being a key part of the "Making a Difference Team".
Pros
great pay, rewarding career.
Cons
sitting for long periods

Want to know more about Des Moines Area Community College?

Ask a question
DMACC
Adjunct (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAFebruary 19, 2014
An excellent place to work. Good hours, works with adjuncts
Pros
flexible
Cons
not a permanent position
Overview at Des Moines Area Community College
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 21, 2014
I loved working with students, but on a typical day I was at a desk all day working on the computer. This job taught me how to be a team player, become more responsible, and to be a multi-tasker. The hardest part of the job was we were always under staff, so we all had to learn everyone elses job and help out where needed. The most enjoyable part is seeing the students succeed and move on towards their goal. It's a good feeling when you know you helped someone out. I can pretty much get a long with everyone. I loved working with all my co-workers and it made my job easier and more fun.
Going to DMACC has been very important in furthering my educational goals.
Full-Time Student (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IANovember 21, 2013
DMACC, Ankeny and/or Newton is a great start for anyone considering getting a great quality education.
Learning Experience
Work Study Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAOctober 8, 2013
The overall time as a Tutor with DMACC afforded me a chance to better understand others' learning styles. With this I was able to incorporate multiple levels of approach to each student, with organizational differences as a consideration.
Pros
positively influenced my priorities and study skills.
Cons
the job ended when i graduated due to any tutor has to be currently enrolled in order to work.
Great place to work and create connections.
Adjunct Speech Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ankeny, IASeptember 19, 2013
The staff are more then willing to help a new instructor. I felt welcome and if I had a problem it was always addressed.
Pros
great work place
Cons
hard to get full time work.
DMACC
Student (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAAugust 8, 2013
I was a student
Class Room Experience
good learning environment
Great Boss
Accounting Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJuly 24, 2013
The boss in the Tutoring Center at Des Moines Area Community College was wonderful. I had to have my appendix taken out in the emergency room and I called and left a message once I found out and she rescheduled all my appointments for me without any hesitation
Amazing work environment where you are encouraged to become the best at your craft.
Skilled Worker (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 18, 2013
The management at this junior college is above the standard in most categories. They set you up for success and allow you to be the shining star you truly are. In this diverse environment with people from countries all over the world, you are challenged to learn different cultures basic norms to be able to communicate effectively and to reduce the possibility of upsetting or offending a student or teacher unintentionally.
Amazing people to work with
Tax Clinic Supervisor Internship (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAMay 29, 2013
DMACC was an amazing place to work for. The people were incredibly supportive of all the other employees, and it was a place to learn and grow.
Good way to make quick cash
Private tutor (Current Employee) –  ankenyJanuary 3, 2013
great way to make quick cash
I learned more about how people learn
You do not get access to the breakroom
You are not payed that well
You are expected to do many things that you are not properly compensated for.

4.4