Des Moines Area Community College Employee Reviews

It was a fun and very low stress
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJanuary 25, 2017
Instruct students on how to weld. I met many different types of people and it was fun getting to know new people. Management was great and Mike and I became great friends. I also learned to become a better welder because it allowed me to weld more. The hardest part of the job was to actually get someone to weld a good bead who really had no hand and eye coordination. I loved the teaching aspect of the job.
Pros
Good pay and few hours
Cons
It wasn't a full time job. part time job
Excellent place to work!
Adjunct Instructor, business (Current Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJanuary 9, 2017
Graduated from DMACC, and went on to Upper Iowa University. DMACC provided many hands on learning experiences, and involved students with the community and the business that support the community. What better way to give back, then to teach what is so valuable and critical for students to know when preparing for the workforce.
Pros
The joy of being able to watch our future leaders succeed!
Professor of Political Science and Sociology
Professor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 5, 2016
Many students have limited English skills to it can be a challenge but it's a good environment to teach; to be a part-time professor here requires your spouse to have a quality job and you have to love teaching and learning.
Pros
Quality people to work with and administration is caring
Cons
You have little opportunity to advance
This college changed my life
Publications and Promotions Internship (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAApril 22, 2016
DMACC is where I discovered my strongest talents and my academic and professional aspirations. I was recruited to work in the Promotions and Publications Department my first semester. There, I was mentored and challenged. I wrote copy for the college newsletter brochures and numerous other publications. I did layout and design on a light table. Design on the computer was just born and I worked with the first graphic designer hired by DMACC.

I will never forget my boss and mentor at DMACC!

More information on resume.
Pros
My boss and mentor
Cons
Fast paced self rewarding environment.
Communication Operator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaMay 27, 2014
I answer a high volume of phone calls while sometimes calling and working with 911 operators. I also dispatch Security and Facilities employees while creating a daily, accurate log of phone calls and radio traffic. Management is very easy to work with. Co-workers have very good communication skills and are always ready to take on tasks. The hardest part of the job is not being able to physically assist in Security or Medical situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist behind closed doors and being a key part of the "Making a Difference Team".
Pros
Great pay, rewarding career.
Cons
Sitting for long periods
Amazing work environment where you are encouraged to become the best at your craft.
Skilled Worker (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 18, 2013
The management at this junior college is above the standard in most categories. They set you up for success and allow you to be the shining star you truly are. In this diverse environment with people from countries all over the world, you are challenged to learn different cultures basic norms to be able to communicate effectively and to reduce the possibility of upsetting or offending a student or teacher unintentionally.
Its been a great exp. expanding my knowlege
Student (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 18, 2016
I have had a positive experience taking classes at this college! The teachers have had time out of their schedule to help me.
Engaging, Culturally Aware, Developed & Growing.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IADecember 18, 2012
A typical day was spent with an hour or two of preparation for the class, teaching the class & then office hours depending on the needs of the students.

I learned a lot about adapting expectations for the classes I taught & engaging with students that were having troubles. Looking for behavioral differences when students were struggling or excelling.

My relationship with my mentor/head of the department was excellent. We met inside & outside of work to discuss how we could make a better learning environment for our students & how it was important to continually be aware of the technologies of our field & how to implement them into the class room.
Enjoyed learning a new trade
Machineist Student (Former Employee) –  Des Moines Area Community CollageNovember 5, 2015
Well managed staff that were knowledgeable in the machining field. Very modern equipment and a clean and organized shop. Top quality instructors who would give individual help.
Pros
Very good education
Cons
can not complain
Overview at Des Moines Area Community College
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 21, 2014
I loved working with students, but on a typical day I was at a desk all day working on the computer. This job taught me how to be a team player, become more responsible, and to be a multi-tasker. The hardest part of the job was we were always under staff, so we all had to learn everyone elses job and help out where needed. The most enjoyable part is seeing the students succeed and move on towards their goal. It's a good feeling when you know you helped someone out. I can pretty much get a long with everyone. I loved working with all my co-workers and it made my job easier and more fun.
Student success, and assistance is the primary focus in this posiiton
Student Support Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 18, 2015
I only work this job as needed and assist with special projects or when they are short staffed. I read my emails to keep as current as possible. I provide customer service to students by assisting them with printing their student schedules, meeting with academic advisors and or counselors.
Pros
Exposure to a very diverse population.
Cons
Due to the limited hours I work, sometimes it is difficult to be aware of changes.
adorable job
TRiO/Student Support Services Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 6, 2014
This job was the best i ever had because we all were like a family and until today, even if we are in different towns, we meet at least once a month for some fun. this job taught me how to work with diverse people, improved my leadership and social skills, and co-workers were just like a family. The hardest part of this job was to leave because i really enjoy he company of my co-workers and managers. the most enjoyable part was just going to work everyday
Pros
community life
Cons
few hours
Great Beginner job
Design Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAOctober 7, 2015
I was able to work and study in the same department.
It was great to work with students, helping them out, while learning or to operate printers and challenging my own knowledge every day.
CAD Computer lab
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJuly 30, 2015
I was able to step out of my comfort zone and be able to learn different things not taught in any of my classes.
The hardest part of my position was if we had a rush to have to have multiple computers updated in an extremely short time span.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Did not pay very well
As a DMACC Student Ambassador, my responsibilities include but are not limited to: act as an official DMACC tour guide, assist with Urban campus orien
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 4, 2014
In this position, I am gaining experience working with a diverse student population. I am able to apply interpersonal and intrapersonal communication skills in helping satisfy other student's need, and am able to serve my college in a leadership and mentor role.
Learning Experience
Work Study Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAOctober 8, 2013
The overall time as a Tutor with DMACC afforded me a chance to better understand others' learning styles. With this I was able to incorporate multiple levels of approach to each student, with organizational differences as a consideration.
Pros
Positively influenced my priorities and study skills.
Cons
The job ended when I graduated due to any tutor has to be currently enrolled in order to work.
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAApril 21, 2015
Working for a sign language instructor was great due to wanting to go into the interpreting field and was able to get great insight for different ways to sign things uniquely.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Couldnt work too late
Great Boss
Accounting Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJuly 24, 2013
The boss in the Tutoring Center at Des Moines Area Community College was wonderful. I had to have my appendix taken out in the emergency room and I called and left a message once I found out and she rescheduled all my appointments for me without any hesitation
Supportive environment
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boone, IAFebruary 28, 2015
DMACC offers a friendly and supportive environment for its staff and faculty. As a nursing professor however, the multi-campus environment sometimes makes decision making difficult because there are too many "voices".
Stressful, low pay, rude students
Reading and Writing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 8, 2012
I taught students who did not pass the Compass Test in reading and writing. They would come to class late or not at all. They were argumentative about classroom rules and assignments.
Cons
rude students, low pay, stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Des Moines Area Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5