Des Moines Public Schools

Des Moines Public Schools United States Employee Reviews

Great district to develop skills.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAMarch 12, 2015
I enjoyed many things about being a substitute teacher in the Des Moines Public School District. I enjoyed the flexible schedule and the ability to develop my skills in different school settings.
Loved working here!
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAMarch 3, 2015
Cons: not enough diversity amongst staff
I loved working for this school district. There were many opportunities to grow once your feet are in the door. The benefits are excellent. Non Salaried employees are valued enough however, which is sad, considering that there work is harder than teachers and they are the most dedicated workers in the district.
Perfect job for those in college!
Supervisor / Lead Caregiver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: fixed schedule
There is not anything better than making a kids day, and here you got to do that everyday of the week! The environment is perfect if you love children!
Productive and an enjoyable place to work
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee), Des Moines, IADecember 20, 2014
Pros: very good company to work for
Cons: only part time job.
1. Prepped food, ran cash register, collected money,gave change, done billing, placed food orders and counts.
2. Learned to do many things in the school environment and some Spanish to communicate with students.
3. Management was really good to talk to and get along with.
4. Got along with all co-workers and done lots of team work.
5. Hardest part of job was when orders did not arrive on time and to figure out what to do at last minute for meals for the children.
6. Most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with all the children.
Great Experiences!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Des Moines, IANovember 8, 2014
The district allows substitutes to grow to through many different experiences in a wide variety of settings.
Has been the most rewarding position I have had because I have the chance to enhance the lives of young people and build long lasting realtionships.
Transportation Department Driver Class1 (Current Employee), 1915 Prospect Dr. Des Moines, 50310July 24, 2014
Pros: ipers, free medical ins. benefits
Cons: very hot and humid weather. extreme cold and snow/ice storms.
1. Operate different capacity schools busses.
2. How to safely operate multiple capacity vehicles as a CDL driver.
3. Not a direct communication style of managing. More reactive than proactive.
4. Co-workers come from a diverse background of many countries and cultures.
5. Extreme weather conditions.
6. Watching children grow into young adults and remembering the
advice and support I gave them.
Fun Work place
Associate (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 28, 2014
I loved my job for the DMPS. Fun but educational and there was always a new opportunity to make a impact in someone's life.
Fun, Creative, Challenging environment
Substitute teacher (Current Employee), Des Moines Public Schools Substitute teacherApril 30, 2014
Each day provides a new challenge as a substitute teacher, as you literally do not know what you are walking into. However, it is the bets on the job training you can receive. Most everyone is caring and there to help you out. Need to be flexible, but can be very rewarding.
Good if you can deal with kids
Caregiver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAApril 24, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: very frustrating
great job, great pay for a part time job, but you need patients to deal with kids with behavior issues
Fun and exciting place to work
Lunch Aide (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: the retirement program
Cons: don't work during the summer.
Work starts with preparing the next day menu, then I begin to cook and prepare the days menu for the elementary schools and then prepare meal for the high school.
Incredibly complex, busy job
Elementary School Nurse (Former Employee), Des Moines, IASeptember 3, 2013
A multi-task job that involves juggling physical needs of children and staff along with educational concerns of child.
Having to be apart of some of the children daily activities is truly an awesome feeling
temp (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJuly 28, 2013
Pros: the kids were awesome and there were some that needed more attention
Cons: scheduled hours
The schedule was very hard to commit to because of the unbalanced hours that was worked. But knowing that there were children that could not wait to tell you what they did for the weekend regardless, if it was a child that was mentally challenged or a child that knew you cared. Very rewarding job in itself.
Productive and fun working with kids.
School Associate (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJuly 12, 2013
Pros: lunch and breakfast are not free.
Cons: yes i usually had breaks.any job there is a break.
It was fun and rewarding.I personally learned a lot from Edmunds students by sharing jokes and asking each other questions. I also manage their activities while having breakfast and lunch.My Co-workers are very great guys.I enjoyed their companies and appreciate their hard work.Students are always causing noise ,fighting each other, jumping,running aroung in the cafiteria while having lunch.As a School Associate I have to tell them to stop. Some of wont stop or listen and some would listen.I enjoy the kids every morning when they are coming in for breakfast forming a single line with out fighting, causing noise etc.Is a bit easy than lunch.
Des Moines Public Schools
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAMay 1, 2013
Cons: able to make your own schedual if your part time
Sice I've been workinfg for Des Moines Public Schools I've learned that everybody is special in their own way,and that we all are very unique
Good place to work meet many great people
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Des Moines, IowaJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: great place to work, nice people
My job is very easy as I enjoy working with kids and people in general. I have a good attitude each job I have friendly easy going and work hard to achieve my goals. hardest part of job is walking into a place and not knowing what u are getting into.
Assisting mentally challenged children.
Associate Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: best school in the state of iowa for mentally challenged children.
Cons: not enough help with the children and disorderly conduct among the children.
Day would start with assisting children off the school bus and into the classroom, assigning tasks in every day lessons, recess, laboratory breaks, and monitoring and assessing behavioral issues. Management was good, co-workers were a bit stressed. Hardest part of the job was accomplishing the most simple tasks due to the severe autistic behavior issues. The most enjoyable part is watching the children retain what they've learned.
Interpreting all day with elementary age kids in general education setting
Educational Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAJuly 12, 2012
Pros: good wages, benefits package, and parking
Cons: lots of germs everywhere
Provide sign language interpretation, transliteration, and conveying what words and grammar the teacher and other students say. As an educational interpreter we are responsible to the student and educational team.