Des Moines Public Schools Employee Reviews

great health benefits
libray associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 7, 2016
If your looking for healthcare benifits only this is the place for you. If you would like to get paid fairly for the job you do than you should probably look at a different company
A School Teacher's Day
8th grade Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 7, 2015
During a typical day at Merrill Middle School I teach 6 Spanish classes to 8th grade students. I spend about 2 hours a day planning and preparing lessons or attending teacher meetings.
Exciting, fast paced, great place to work
Special Education Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaJuly 8, 2015
Working for the DMPS has been a fantastic experience. A typical day includes lots of smiles and much work. There are never two days the same. I learn something new every day either from books or from one of the students. The administration does a great job at looking after the needs of the students as well as the workers in the building. Team building activities through out the school year keep the staff at an all time high with being part of a great team. The hardest part of my job would be to watch a student struggle with personal issues outside of the school setting. The best part of my job is to see the growth that students make through out the school year academically as well as personally.
Pros
good beneifits and free breakfast
Cons
associate pay could be better
Very enjoyable
custodian (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 1, 2015
Very hard during summer hours a lot of hard cleaning but that's how we do our deep cleaning. but when the school staff and children comes back it makes my day to come to work with these people.
Pros
working with all the children and staff
Cons
Some of the turmoil of the co workers
Staff is wonderful
Sign Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 21, 2015
Work with a variety of students and sometimes learning with the classes. The management is works with you whenever there is a need. The co-workers work as a team to make sure all the students are covered. Some of the hardest parts of the job is teaching different staff and teachers how to use an interpreter and receiving the materials to prep before the next class.
The best part of my job is the students and being able to see the progress they make throughout the year.
Pros
Great Benifits
Cons
break is short
Loved working here!
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 3, 2015
I loved working for this school district. There were many opportunities to grow once your feet are in the door. The benefits are excellent. Non Salaried employees are valued enough however, which is sad, considering that there work is harder than teachers and they are the most dedicated workers in the district.
Cons
not enough diversity amongst staff
Productive and an enjoyable place to work
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 20, 2014
1. Prepped food, ran cash register, collected money,gave change, done billing, placed food orders and counts.
2. Learned to do many things in the school environment and some Spanish to communicate with students.
3. Management was really good to talk to and get along with.
4. Got along with all co-workers and done lots of team work.
5. Hardest part of job was when orders did not arrive on time and to figure out what to do at last minute for meals for the children.
6. Most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with all the children.
Pros
very good company to work for
Cons
only part time job.
Has been the most rewarding position I have had because I have the chance to enhance the lives of young people and build long lasting realtionships.
Transportation Department Driver Class1 (Current Employee) –  1915 Prospect Dr. Des Moines, 50310July 24, 2014
1. Operate different capacity schools busses.
2. How to safely operate multiple capacity vehicles as a CDL driver.
3. Not a direct communication style of managing. More reactive than proactive.
4. Co-workers come from a diverse background of many countries and cultures.
5. Extreme weather conditions.
6. Watching children grow into young adults and remembering the
advice and support I gave them.
Pros
ipers, free medical ins. benefits
Cons
very hot and humid weather. extreme cold and snow/ice storms.
Assisting mentally challenged children.
Associate Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 8, 2013
Day would start with assisting children off the school bus and into the classroom, assigning tasks in every day lessons, recess, laboratory breaks, and monitoring and assessing behavioral issues. Management was good, co-workers were a bit stressed. Hardest part of the job was accomplishing the most simple tasks due to the severe autistic behavior issues. The most enjoyable part is watching the children retain what they've learned.
Pros
best school in the state of iowa for mentally challenged children.
Cons
not enough help with the children and disorderly conduct among the children.
Having to be apart of some of the children daily activities is truly an awesome feeling
temp (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 28, 2013
The schedule was very hard to commit to because of the unbalanced hours that was worked. But knowing that there were children that could not wait to tell you what they did for the weekend regardless, if it was a child that was mentally challenged or a child that knew you cared. Very rewarding job in itself.
Pros
the kids were awesome and there were some that needed more attention
Cons
scheduled hours
Productive and fun working with kids.
School Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 12, 2013
It was fun and rewarding.I personally learned a lot from Edmunds students by sharing jokes and asking each other questions. I also manage their activities while having breakfast and lunch.My Co-workers are very great guys.I enjoyed their companies and appreciate their hard work.Students are always causing noise ,fighting each other, jumping,running aroung in the cafiteria while having lunch.As a School Associate I have to tell them to stop. Some of wont stop or listen and some would listen.I enjoy the kids every morning when they are coming in for breakfast forming a single line with out fighting, causing noise etc.Is a bit easy than lunch.
Pros
lunch and breakfast are not free.
Cons
yes i usually had breaks.any job there is a break.
Interpreting all day with elementary age kids in general education setting
Educational Sign Language Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 12, 2012
Provide sign language interpretation, transliteration, and conveying what words and grammar the teacher and other students say. As an educational interpreter we are responsible to the student and educational team.
Pros
good wages, benefits package, and parking
Cons
lots of germs everywhere
Great district to develop skills.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 12, 2015
I enjoyed many things about being a substitute teacher in the Des Moines Public School District. I enjoyed the flexible schedule and the ability to develop my skills in different school settings.
Good place to work meet many great people
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaJanuary 21, 2013
My job is very easy as I enjoy working with kids and people in general. I have a good attitude each job I have friendly easy going and work hard to achieve my goals. hardest part of job is walking into a place and not knowing what u are getting into.
Pros
great place to work, nice people
Fun, Creative, Challenging environment
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines Public Schools Substitute teacherApril 30, 2014
Each day provides a new challenge as a substitute teacher, as you literally do not know what you are walking into. However, it is the bets on the job training you can receive. Most everyone is caring and there to help you out. Need to be flexible, but can be very rewarding.
Perfect job for those in college!
Supervisor / Lead Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 8, 2015
There is not anything better than making a kids day, and here you got to do that everyday of the week! The environment is perfect if you love children!
Pros
hours
Cons
fixed schedule
Fun and exciting place to work
Lunch Aide (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 24, 2014
Work starts with preparing the next day menu, then I begin to cook and prepare the days menu for the elementary schools and then prepare meal for the high school.
Pros
the retirement program
Cons
don't work during the summer.
Des Moines Public Schools
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 1, 2013
Sice I've been workinfg for Des Moines Public Schools I've learned that everybody is special in their own way,and that we all are very unique
Cons
able to make your own schedual if your part time
Great Experiences!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 8, 2014
The district allows substitutes to grow to through many different experiences in a wide variety of settings.
Incredibly complex, busy job
Elementary School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 3, 2013
A multi-task job that involves juggling physical needs of children and staff along with educational concerns of child.

4.3