Des Moines Public Schools Employee Reviews

Special Education Substitute Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 7, 2017
Working with the staff and kids was wonderful. Being in the role as a substitute you have flexibility to make your own schedule. working at different schools gives you a chance to meet so many great people.
Fun place to work but no growth in my position
Spanish/English Interpreter and Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 5, 2017
No growth in the position I`m in as a Substitute Teacher they also don't have benefits. There is not good founding for Arts and the students seems bored about it.
Building Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 24, 2017
Working with the Des Moines Public Schools helped me discover my passion for working with youth.
I really enjoyed seeing the excitement and smiles of children while receiving their education.
My say working at Des Moines Public School
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  all teaching jobs offeredAugust 17, 2017
Start the assignment 15 minutes early to read over teachers' teaching plans or maybe have to plan day no teaching plans. Greet students beginning of class try to interact with students with a yoga - short session and read over/them teachers plans. In most cases day goes smoothly but at times student can be challenging. Learned in the past to continue teaching teachers' plans and call office if student continues to be disruptive.

Hardest part of the job is to remember always I am not serving in the capacity of a mother but a teacher. Rewarding part of the job is seeing a student not sure of himself become sure and start learning and participating.
Pros
communicating and teaching
Cons
waiting but learned to be patient
Administration needs to be fair across the board
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 16, 2017
Great place to work, loved working with children for almost ten years. Got to work one on one with children and parents . Handle student accounts, changes to student information. Enter student schedules and enroll students for drivers education. Provide assistance to counselors and keep counseling office information up to date. Hardest part of the job...Dealing with teachers attitudes and coping with a racial divide that should not have existed among the staff and dealing with one staff in particular putting their hands on other employees. Administration not taking the appropriate measures with the rude employee.
Diversity and choice schools are nationally recognized
Supervising Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 12, 2017
Des Moines Schools have been nationally recognized in the diverse communities they serve. This school district has a public Montessori, international baccalaureate, arts magnet, and year around school options. I worked with staff and students of many cultural, economic and social backgrounds. This can be it's biggest challenge and yet Des Moines had made it their biggest benefit!
Something different everyday
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 20, 2017
Substitute teaching can be very stressful, but it can also be very fun. You will always have a new experience every time you step foot into a school which can be a good or bad thing. The pay is good and you pick and choose the days you want to substitute. I definitely recommend this job to anyone who has enough patience to deal with the constant changing and developing of kids.
Pros
choose when you work, good pay, holidays off, always changing, interact with kids
Cons
can be stressful
good experience
Health Associate-Lincoln High School (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 8, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the Des Moines Public Schools. There are a lot of opportunities and the benefits are great. If you need year round work this can be a con for some people.
Pros
summers off
Cons
summers off
Been a long time
First Class Engineer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 23, 2017
I worked for the School District before I went to college full time. It was a great way to pay my way through a community college and allowed me to save a little bit of money before attending a University.
Benefits are only thing keeping employees.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 7, 2017
I have been a long time employee with Des Moines Schools. If you are looking for a "job" this is a good start, If you are looking for a "Career", this would not be my first choice.
Experience in Des Moines Schools
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 18, 2017
I have experience with the Des Moines schools as a practicum student and student teacher. I would teach lessons on math, science, reading, phonics, fiction, and spanish. I learned about my teaching style, classroom management strategies, and content teaching. I was surrounded by supportive and creative teachers who pushed me to do my best. The hardest part of the job was my lack of experience with the students and the limited amount of time in the classroom I had (except for while student teaching at Hanawalt). Most enjoyable part of the job was working with students and watching their progress as they continue through the year.
If you like no support, never ending changes, and excessive hours
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 18, 2016
I spent 13 years working here hoping each year it would get better but it never did. Management changes directions with the wind. You never get a lunch. You work in excess of 50 hours per week. There is no support or appreciation for your work. It was the worst employer I have ever had.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Horrible place to work
bake off cordinator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 14, 2016
not a good place to work. horrible working conditions management are bullies and they dont care about their employees dont listen to their employees change rules to accommodate them and their special employees
Pros
free lunches, good money
Cons
unknown job duties, hostile work enviroment not a good place to work
My job summary
General Food Worker (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 4, 2016
loved everything about the job enjoyed the kids loved the lunch food the hours was great the supervisors was great polite my boss was a great person to work with
great health benefits
libray associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 7, 2016
If your looking for healthcare benifits only this is the place for you. If you would like to get paid fairly for the job you do than you should probably look at a different company
Great Experience
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 10, 2015
Working in such an environment prepared me for my major. I was involved in lots of things that had to do with computer programming, which is a majority of what is involved in computer science.
Pros
Friendly Staff
A School Teacher's Day
8th grade Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 7, 2015
During a typical day at Merrill Middle School I teach 6 Spanish classes to 8th grade students. I spend about 2 hours a day planning and preparing lessons or attending teacher meetings.
Very enjoyable
custodian (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 1, 2015
Very hard during summer hours a lot of hard cleaning but that's how we do our deep cleaning. but when the school staff and children comes back it makes my day to come to work with these people.
Pros
working with all the children and staff
Cons
Some of the turmoil of the co workers
Exciting, fast paced, great place to work
Special Education Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaJuly 8, 2015
Working for the DMPS has been a fantastic experience. A typical day includes lots of smiles and much work. There are never two days the same. I learn something new every day either from books or from one of the students. The administration does a great job at looking after the needs of the students as well as the workers in the building. Team building activities through out the school year keep the staff at an all time high with being part of a great team. The hardest part of my job would be to watch a student struggle with personal issues outside of the school setting. The best part of my job is to see the growth that students make through out the school year academically as well as personally.
Pros
good beneifits and free breakfast
Cons
associate pay could be better
Staff is wonderful
Sign Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 21, 2015
Work with a variety of students and sometimes learning with the classes. The management is works with you whenever there is a need. The co-workers work as a team to make sure all the students are covered. Some of the hardest parts of the job is teaching different staff and teachers how to use an interpreter and receiving the materials to prep before the next class.
The best part of my job is the students and being able to see the progress they make throughout the year.
Pros
Great Benifits
Cons
break is short